PDA

View Full Version : Ratings released

RGM Fan
30th May 2007, 20:53
http://www.scenedaily.com/stories/2007/05/28/scene_daily705.html

Just released today, the 500 ratings dropped a whopping 15.7 percent from 5.1 in 2006 to 4.3, one of the lowest rated 500 ever. The only other time it scored under 4.5 was 2004. Ratings spiked in 2005 the year, Dannica showed up, hitting a very respectable 6.3. I think its safe to say the Danica-maina is played out.

Combine the low ratings with the acres of empty stands and you have one of the least watched Indy 500s in history.

keysersoze
30th May 2007, 21:29
So, you still saying you don't have an agenda, RGM? (The agenda being to shamelessly troll.)

It is the highest attended open wheel race in the world with, also, the highest ratings of any open wheel race. In the world. These are undisputable facts, unlike your "acres of empty stands" comment. GMAFB

So, what's the answer to the ratings? Have your SeaBass in the race? Think that will help?

DBell
30th May 2007, 21:47
So, you still saying you don't have an agenda, RGM? (The agenda being to shamelessly troll.)

It is the highest attended open wheel race in the world with, also, the highest ratings of any open wheel race. In the world. These are undisputable facts, unlike your "acres of empty stands" comment. GMAFB

So, what's the answer to the ratings? Have your SeaBass in the race? Think that will help?

Highest attended open wheel race in the world? Yes I would agree thats true.

Highest ratings world wide? Don't agree. F1 races are more watched world wide.

keysersoze
30th May 2007, 22:18
Highest attended open wheel race in the world? Yes I would agree thats true.

Highest ratings world wide? Don't agree. F1 races are more watched world wide.

And I agree with you. I'm talking American networks, which is the source RGM is apparently citing.

beachbum
30th May 2007, 23:14
Do not feed the trolls

Perhaps RGM should have read the whole article. The NASCAR race also had a large rating drop. Face it, all TV ratings for motor sports have been dropping steadily for the past few years. There are just too many other options. The ratings for INDY alone were probably still more that all of the CC and other IRL races put together for the year.

RGM Fan
31st May 2007, 00:39
So what if NASCAR is dropping? NASCAR doesn't live or die off the success of the one race, the IRL does.

Also even if the crowd was 250,000 strong that's still down from an estimated 350,000 in 95, which oddly enough was the last time I was there.

Colsanders
31st May 2007, 00:54
The facts are this and are NOT in dispute:

Pole day at Indy draws less than 20% of the crowd of its' heyday in the 80s and early 90s.

The raceday crowd is tens of thousands LOWER than in this era. Tickets for the Brickyard 400 ARE much more difficult to acquire than the Indy 500.

The TV ratings ARE at or near an all-time low.

Sports news is NOT dominated in May by Indy news as was the case in the past (Indeed Wind Tunnel with Dave Despain had three times more coverage, callers, ect about Dale Jr's leaving DEI ON POLE DAY!

Simply denying the problems WILL NOT CHANGE THIS!

Colsanders
31st May 2007, 01:02
By the way, my agenda would be to restore the Indy 500 as the unquestioned largest, best attended sporting event in the world and the most watched (TV) motor race in the world....And to restore Indycar type racing (and its' annual championship) to their former allure and prestige.

Arguing about ovals or road courses, normal aspirated or turbo charged, leased or purchased is a waste of time.

The house in on fire! Talk of replacing the carpet and remodeling the basement won't cut it!

weeflyonthewall
31st May 2007, 01:21
Rubens Barrichello was quoted in Monaco as saying he would like to run Indy after he retires from F1. 2009?

ACTF_ZETT
31st May 2007, 02:55
These posts are really starting to piss me off. Every time I log on to talk racing I have to look at arguments. If your not an IRL fan, or if you arnt here to just talk racing then go post on another forum.

FerrrariF1
31st May 2007, 03:11
The facts are this and are NOT in dispute:

Pole day at Indy draws less than 20% of the crowd of its' heyday in the 80s and early 90s.

The raceday crowd is tens of thousands LOWER than in this era. Tickets for the Brickyard 400 ARE much more difficult to acquire than the Indy 500.

The TV ratings ARE at or near an all-time low.

Sports news is NOT dominated in May by Indy news as was the case in the past (Indeed Wind Tunnel with Dave Despain had three times more coverage, callers, ect about Dale Jr's leaving DEI ON POLE DAY!

Simply denying the problems WILL NOT CHANGE THIS!

Don't forget that the local economy ie: restaurants, hotels etc no longer are filled and no longer demand a premium for the Indy 500 yet for the Brickyard and the USGP the hotels are filled and premiums are demanded. The USGP for example require a 3 night stay versus the Indy 500 where rooms are plentiful, standard rates apply and no minimum stays....those are the facts my friends

Wilf
31st May 2007, 04:34
Don't forget that the local economy ie: restaurants, hotels etc no longer are filled and no longer demand a premium for the Indy 500 yet for the Brickyard and the USGP the hotels are filled and premiums are demanded. The USGP for example require a 3 night stay versus the Indy 500 where rooms are plentiful, standard rates apply and no minimum stays....those are the facts my friends
Let's talk futures: I will buy from you 50 rooms at the normal rate of $149 a day each and add a 20 buck bonus for each room each day for May 24, and May 25, 2008 at the Hilton in downtown Indianapolis. All you have to do is give me a confirmation number and you will earn 2000 bucks. Interested? It shouldn't be too difficult since there isn't any trouble getting accomodations for the Indianapolis 500 weekend, at least, according to you. I don't think you can make a single room reservation, much less 50, without a premium and a 3 day minimum

People who can't deal in facts shouldn't be permitted to post.

Bob Riebe
31st May 2007, 05:18
What I find amazing is some seem to actually believe, voodoo juice in their drinks or somethng, that openwheel racing would not be in the ****ter if CART and the IRL had not split.

CART would have still died and George would have still screwed up his replacement.
What is, is what would have been, get used to it.

newf66
31st May 2007, 13:41
Anyway, back on topic - how many of the viewers were "counted" once the rain started.

I had planned to pick up the race about half way through and watch the end. Bad timing, etc. hence I missed a good chunk. Does this mean myself (and, I'm sure many others), aren't counted in the ratings? I did buy some CC (that's what we call Canadian Club by the way).

indycool
31st May 2007, 13:51
Well, Colsanders, those are NOT facts and they ARE in dispute.

And Ferrrari, you're living in the past regarding hotels and restaurants.

RGM Fan
31st May 2007, 13:57
Anyway, back on topic - how many of the viewers were "counted" once the rain started.

I had planned to pick up the race about half way through and watch the end. Bad timing, etc. hence I missed a good chunk. Does this mean myself (and, I'm sure many others), aren't counted in the ratings? I did buy some CC (that's what we call Canadian Club by the way).

Unless you have a Nielsen box you're not counted in the ratings.

keysersoze
31st May 2007, 14:15
So what if NASCAR is dropping? NASCAR doesn't live or die off the success of the one race, the IRL does.

Also even if the crowd was 250,000 strong that's still down from an estimated 350,000 in 95, which oddly enough was the last time I was there.

The grandstands hold 257,000 seats. It is doubtful, highly doubtful, that there have ever been 350,000 fans there at any given race. 300,000 perhaps.

keysersoze
31st May 2007, 14:18

Even if all this were true, it would merely strengthen the case that TG's empire is doing extremely well, and that the Indy 500 is not, and never will be, in any sort of financial jeopardy.

keysersoze
31st May 2007, 14:27
By the way, my agenda would be to restore the Indy 500 as the unquestioned largest, best attended sporting event in the world and the most watched (TV) motor race in the world....And to restore Indycar type racing (and its' annual championship) to their former allure and prestige.

This is not the 70s and 80s. There's just way too much competition for the consumers' dollars these days, Baseball has always been there, but football, golf, and basketball have made profound strides since the 70s and 80s. Even wrestling, televised poker, and ultimate fighting are making huge inroads in popular sports culture. Auto racing will never be what it once was, but it can obviousy do better. NASCAR and the tuner culture proves that people are still very much into motor sports.

Zsolt
31st May 2007, 19:33
Rubens Barrichello was quoted in Monaco as saying he would like to run Indy after he retires from F1. 2009?

I'm not an Indy fan, but i'd LOVE to see this.

Zsolt
31st May 2007, 19:35
A valid point.

There is a fine line between discussion with valid criticism and bashing. Let's try and keep on the enlightened side of that line.

I agree w/this also. It's ok to argue, but if you're sick of arguing about the same points, etc..., don't even bother going in the thread.

-Helix-
1st June 2007, 00:10
Even if all this were true, it would merely strengthen the case that TG's empire is doing extremely well, and that the Indy 500 is not, and never will be, in any sort of financial jeopardy.

So the Indy 500 could be a joke of a race with no TV deal and 20 people in the stands watching no name gokart drivers but it wouldn't matter because it wouldn't be in financial jeopardy?

And you call yourself a race fan. Those of us that realize the second rate crap we're forced to watch every year are the real race fans. We are talking racing. We're talking about how to fix it. But before we fix it we have to make others realize what is wrong. If you consider that "trolling" so be it.

Damn Martin Luther King Jr. for standing up and trolling! He should of just laid down and accepted things as they are. - IRL fan on civil rights history

keysersoze
1st June 2007, 01:37
So the Indy 500 could be a joke of a race with no TV deal and 20 people in the stands watching no name gokart drivers but it wouldn't matter because it wouldn't be in financial jeopardy?

And you call yourself a race fan. Those of us that realize the second rate crap we're forced to watch every year are the real race fans. We are talking racing. We're talking about how to fix it. But before we fix it we have to make others realize what is wrong. If you consider that "trolling" so be it.

Damn Martin Luther King Jr. for standing up and trolling! He should of just laid down and accepted things as they are. - IRL fan on civil rights history

Pretty feeble extrapolation you have there.

Is someone holding a gun to your head making you watch? Doubt it. O.K., that was my only insincere question. But seriously . . .

Tell me, here in the IRL forum, what is "crappy" about it? Have you been to a race? Cars too ugly for you? Have you seen one in person? Have you seen it at speed? Do you know the drivers? Going to tell us they are crap, too? Are the races worse than . . . whatever series you watch? If so, in what way?

So you think it's up to you and the other "real race fan" fans to "fix" the league? Out to work your Jedi mind tricks on the ignorant masses to help us see the light? What an ego. :rolleyes:

What would you fix? Need more street races? (Hint: they're coming.)

Need more natural terrain road courses? They're coming, too.

I'm lauding the morphing of the IRL into CART 2. I liked CART 1

Hoss Ghoul
1st June 2007, 07:25
What I find amazing is some seem to actually believe, voodoo juice in their drinks or somethng, that openwheel racing would not be in the ****ter if CART and the IRL had not split.

CART would have still died and George would have still screwed up his replacement.
What is, is what would have been, get used to it.

So ture, I'm of this opinion as well...there are too many threads that end up as worthless arguments about the split, but it seems clear to me that by the late 90's or 2000ish CART would have been in as bad of shape as it ended up after the split. All the big names were getting old and retiring, NASCAR was in its ascendancy, etc...AOWR was a sinking ship before the split, all the split did was flood the decks a few years early. Not much sense in crying over spilled milk IMO. I just watch what we have, hope for a minor resurgence, and try to overlook the petty bickering.

Jag_Warrior
3rd June 2007, 23:55
I don't believe in fate or destiny. I've seen too many people and busineses "destined" to fail be successful. And I've seen too many people and businesses "destined" to succeed snatch defeat out of the jaws of victory.

Big names always get old and retire... or die. That's just the cycle of life, as I see it. Businesses (and families) deal with it if they are to go on. CART and Indy's situation was no different than the situation in NASCAR, F1... or the Ford family.

But where I think we agree is, we will never know for sure. At this point, it simply is what it is. And as time and events pass, I think it's increasingly unlikely that either or both (together) will ever recapture the magic that once was. That doesn't mean people shouldn't try to enjoy AOWR Lite. But it also means that some of us may get nostalgic when we drink the Lite brand... and remember the full flavored days.

F1boat
4th June 2007, 10:07
Hey, guys - Indy 500 was a wet race with many caution periods. Casual fans may have been disappointed and that's why the ratings could be down.

indycool
4th June 2007, 14:58
According to the 15-minute ratings, Sport Business Daily reported them as 4.6 during the "green" periods.

call_me_andrew
4th June 2007, 20:32
Let's not forget that the race went long and ended after the NASCAR race had started.

I didn't notice any empty seats until after the rain delay, and that's probably fans leaving early. I've sat through my share of rain delays and if I were there, I wouldn't expect the race to get started again.