PDA

View Full Version : Going to Monaco 08

chrisc
30th May 2007, 15:15
Rite i am looking to get to a F1 race next year was talking to a few mates and one of there brothers has been to a few races and he said the cheapest race he has been to is Monaco he said easyjet fly in to a local airport in the south of France u book a hire car and go and watch the race for free!!
I have always wanted to go to Monaco but i thought it would cost a lot of money so is this fella talking through his hole of is he speaking the truth.

30th May 2007, 16:29
Rite i am looking to get to a F1 race next year was talking to a few mates and one of there brothers has been to a few races and he said the cheapest race he has been to is Monaco he said easyjet fly in to a local airport in the south of France u book a hire car and go and watch the race for free!!
I have always wanted to go to Monaco but i thought it would cost a lot of money so is this fella talking through his hole of is he speaking the truth.

It is possible to watch the race for free.....but you are a long way away from the track.

The hillside opposite rascasse corner is the favourite viewpoint for those unwilling to shell out £300 plus on a ticket. It's a good 700 metres from the track though.

You will be able to claim you've seen the race, but you won't be able to say you were in the thick of it.

If I were you, I'd got to Monza, get a ticket for Saturday qualifying (about £20) and take a sleeping bag then sleep inside the circuit with the 1000's of Tifosi doing the same thing.

wedge
30th May 2007, 16:37
I saw this on the pre-race show, apparantly you can get a good view from the hillside.

I thought Bernie stopped that sort of thing.

I remember Jeremy Clarkson tried to do something similar on Top Gear over ten years ago. The local authorities/organisers cordoned off the whole area and stuck up black curtains.

30th May 2007, 17:42
I saw this on the pre-race show, apparantly you can get a good view from the hillside.

I thought Bernie stopped that sort of thing.

I remember Jeremy Clarkson tried to do something similar on Top Gear over ten years ago. The local authorities/organisers cordoned off the whole area and stuck up black curtains.

There were a few thousand folks there in 2005, and their view didn't appear to be hampered.

Still think Monza is a better option.

SteveA
30th May 2007, 17:43

I reckon Spa Green area tickets (this year 100eu, £67 per person) are good value. At least you'll have a ligitimate ticket and be able to get reasonably close to the track.

Travel is cheap if you are able to use Eurostar, because your E* ticket will allow you to use any Belgian train, so you can get right to the circuit for no extra fare (as long as you do it within 24 hours of your arrival in Brussels!)

http://www.spagrandprix.com/en/shop/default.aspx

Priorat
30th May 2007, 17:58
Go to a test day in Barcelona. It is better than a race day.
You see all the cars and no overtaking like in any race.
You only pay 5 euros (you pay no less than 250 on race weekend)
You can move to watch different corners even the grandstand in front of the boxes.
You have no doubt that there team others because drivers must do what they are asked to do.
You can go in or out of the circuit without traffic jams.
You can go to the WC without risking to loose your viewing position.
And much more...

edbert
30th May 2007, 18:31
to clarify the hill in monaco is general admission ticketing and not free. there is no free vantage position unless you have some private building access

GridGirl
30th May 2007, 18:56
Where are you based? At a wild guess that your British would Silverstone be your cheapest GP?

Personally I always viewed Monaco as the most expensive GP, and have never contemplated going. Tickets for the hill are the cheapest, but I was under the impression that the Tifosi etc put up scoffolding and basically build their own grandstands on it so your view would always be restricted.

I've been to Spa, thats quite cheap (but having been before the revamped it this year, it was a complete and utter dump) but the Chips and Mayo are nice.

The cheapest GP I went to was the Spanish GP, but that was in 2002 and pre Alonso. I dont know about prices but I'm sure it will be harder to get a ticket these days unless you buy early.

I've been to Monza too, thats quite cheap, but to be honest you really need to sit a the chicanes if you want to see real action, and that will set you back atleast £250.

I've been to other GP tracks too, but to be honest I think the GP I enjoyed the most was the Spanish GP. Great city, nice architecture, you can maybe go to the beach, good facilities at the track, stuff to do at night, maybe a trip to the Nou Camp if you like football. Over all its a great package.

chrisc
30th May 2007, 20:16
Thanks people

CarlMetro
30th May 2007, 20:28
Back in the distant past me and the wife looked at doing Monaco before my son arrived. Admittedly we wanted to do it well so planed a five day trip, complete with grandstand seats on the inside of San Devot (sp?). I worked out that we could do two weeks in Malaysia, complete with pitlane grandstand tickets for the same price as the five day trip to Monaco :eek:

..........even then we ended up doing a 16 day tour around Western USA instead at half the price of the Malaysia trip :rolleyes:

schmenke
30th May 2007, 20:36
.............even then we ended up doing a 16 day tour around Western USA instead at half the price of the Malaysia trip :rolleyes:

...And what GP did you attend? :p :

Slartibartfast
30th May 2007, 23:51
Hi, 1st post from me.
Most replies suggest going somewhere else, but I am considering Monaco next year as well.
Are there any suggestions on the best way to do it?

CarlMetro
30th May 2007, 23:53
...And what GP did you attend? :p :

The British, as always, just after we got back :p :

Valve Bounce
31st May 2007, 01:24
It is possible to watch the race for free.....but you are a long way away from the track.

The hillside opposite rascasse corner is the favourite viewpoint for those unwilling to shell out £300 plus on a ticket. It's a good 700 metres from the track though.

You will be able to claim you've seen the race, but you won't be able to say you were in the thick of it.

If I were you, I'd got to Monza, get a ticket for Saturday qualifying (about £20) and take a sleeping bag then sleep inside the circuit with the 1000's of Tifosi doing the same thing.

For twenty quid, you get to quals and they don't kick you out afterwards? Count me in!!

Valve Bounce
31st May 2007, 01:30
Hi, 1st post from me.
Most replies suggest going somewhere else, but I am considering Monaco next year as well.
Are there any suggestions on the best way to do it?

For those who want to include some sort of stay in the area, you should check out the towns nearby. There is a train that runs along the coast and it stops right in the heart of Monaco with an escalator which leads to the top of the hill. So Nice, or some of the other towns nearby would be a cheaper solution.

Ari
31st May 2007, 05:23

If you were flying in to Monaco.... don't do it unless you've got a ticket in your hand or are used to being and in fact welcome being disappointed.

If you're making the effort to fly in, rent a car, take time off work.... buy a ticket to get yourself a better view!

Monaco GP is the only GP I want to go to.... I've been to Aus many times, but want to go to Monaco. It's on my list of things to do, I'll get there sooner or later.

My advice is that when you do it, do it properly. Don't skimp. Go to the nite hotel, have the nice diiner, get the good seats. I say do it big or stay home.