PDA

View Full Version : Porsche RS Spyder, Gasoline vs. Ethanol

wmcot
30th May 2007, 06:46
I noticed the Penske RS Porsches are running on gasoline while the Dyson RS Spyders are using the E10 ethanol blend. Is there a performance difference since the Penske cars always seem to have that bit of something extra.

trumperZ06
30th May 2007, 18:57
;) The difference/decrease in power... depends on the percentage of ethanol that makes up the blend.

Penske's reason for not running the E10 blend this year, was that the Porsche PCM's and engine... wouldn't permit it's use. Seems like that excuse doesn't hold water.

wmcot
31st May 2007, 06:58
Penske's reason for not running the E10 blend this year, was that the Porsche PCM's and engine... wouldn't permit it's use. Seems like that excuse doesn't hold water.

Yes, since Dyson are supposed to be running the same equipment on E10!! I suspect Penske have an advantage here...

Mark in Oshawa
21st June 2007, 23:56
Ethanol doesn't have as many BTU's as Gas. If you run 10% ethanol,you are not getting the same number of BTU's out of every pulse of power and that might just be the difference. Why Dyson hasn't dumped the Ethanol is beyond me, unless without someone paying him to run it, he couldn't be in the ALMS. I do know that using it isn't winning him any races....

Sleeper
22nd June 2007, 02:19
Ethanol doesn't have as many BTU's as Gas. If you run 10% ethanol,you are not getting the same number of BTU's out of every pulse of power and that might just be the difference. Why Dyson hasn't dumped the Ethanol is beyond me, unless without someone paying him to run it, he couldn't be in the ALMS. I do know that using it isn't winning him any races....
I just read this morning that all cars at Le Mans will run either a petrol/bio-ethanol mixture (could be E10, I dont know) or bio-diesel from next year. This will probably go to the ALMS and it would mean that Dyson have a years experience of the effects this fuel has on the equipment over everyone else.

trumperZ06
25th June 2007, 17:57
I just read this morning that all cars at Le Mans will run either a petrol/bio-ethanol mixture (could be E10, I dont know) or bio-diesel from next year. This will probably go to the ALMS and it would mean that Dyson have a years experience of the effects this fuel has on the equipment over everyone else.

;) IMO... Porsche will share that info with other teams driving their cars in LMP2. It's also likely that Porsche controls engine mapping and logs real time engine data on these cars. Certainly.. the CPM has to be adjusted for AFR and timing when changing fuels. Other changes may also be necessary.

Mark in Oshawa
25th June 2007, 21:52
If everyone runs the same fuel next year, then maybe Dyson has an edge but I can tell you it sucks to run a setup that wont allow you to be competitive doing research for Penske's boys......

wmcot
30th July 2007, 08:25
If everyone runs the same fuel next year, then maybe Dyson has an edge but I can tell you it sucks to run a setup that wont allow you to be competitive doing research for Penske's boys......

It would be pretty sad to find out that Dyson are really Penske's 2nd team! Still, they are doing better in P2 than they were doing in P1 with the aging Lolas.

(Mark - I really like your signature!)