PDA

View Full Version : Giedo van der Garde [merged]

Giuseppe F1
15th December 2006, 14:51
Very interesting move as Giedo is part of the McLaren Mercedes Young Driver Support Programme which also supported Lewis Hamilton on his rise up the ladder although Giedo was signed in after many seasons in the junior formulae.

Will be interesting with the close Honda links with Aguri and the what everyone seems is inevitable buy-out of McLaren by Mercedes whether Giedo's McLaren support will be halted.

In all honesty, dont think Giedo has done anything spectacular coming up to necessarily warrant a place in F1 at this time - im sure some of his sponsors $$$ sorted that all out:

STORY:
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/56033

Van der Garde joins Aguri as third driver

By Jonathan Noble Friday, December 15th 2006, 14:33 GMT

Dutchman Giedo van der Garde has been announced as Super Aguri's third driver for next season.

The F3 Euro Series front-runner, who is a member of the McLaren Young Driver Support Programme, will work alongside Takuma Sato and Anthony Davidson in 2007.

"I am very happy that I can be involved with the Super Aguri F1 Team and get a good drive in Formula One," said van der Garde, who finished sixth overall in his championship this year.

"When I started karting I always said that I wanted to be in F1, so now I can put my efforts into the team and get to learn about the car. I am looking forward to driving in F1 for the first time."

Team principal Aguri Suzuki added: "We are delighted to have Giedo joining our team. He is a young driver with much potential. Formula One, as everyone knows, is not a walk over and in the beginning it will be hard for him.

"But with his talent I am sure he will overcome this and I hope he works hard and becomes successful in this category too."

SuperAguri
15th December 2006, 15:10
:eek:

(Who? :confused: )

jonny hurlock
15th December 2006, 15:13
:eek:

(Who? :confused: )

he was in f3euroseries this year

if they got him, a very odd choice

gjalie
15th December 2006, 15:38
on pole and second in the race at the BP Ultimate Masters this year.

odykas
15th December 2006, 20:30
Who?

EuroTroll
15th December 2006, 20:40
Who?

Who, indeed? :\

sonic_roadhog
15th December 2006, 21:27
http://www.mclaren.com/theteam/images/Giedo-van-der-Garde.jpg

Well this clear up everything :rolleyes: ;)

Powered by Cosworth
15th December 2006, 21:47
Expect some Muermans or Trust sponsors on the Aguri next year ;)

Hawkmoon
15th December 2006, 23:50
Who, indeed? :\

My thought exactly. Never heard of him. Is he any good? :\

jso1985
15th December 2006, 23:55
from http://www.crash.net/news_View~t~van-der-Garde-earns-Super-Aguri-seat-~cid~1~id~141347.htm

"The 21-year-old, who finished sixth in the F3 Euroseries standings this season in his third year in the category"

Honestly, doesn't look like talented :mark:

gjalie
16th December 2006, 08:17
http://www.giedovandergarde.nl

SuperAguri
16th December 2006, 08:31
It's all about the $$$ then. I would have easily gone for the guy who came 1st or 2nd rather than 6th.

gjalie
16th December 2006, 10:19
his father in law is the owner of a telecom company (Telfort).
in his early days his mentor was a f1 driver named Jos the Boss, he has a bit of his agrassive racestyle don't think that did much good to him this season, although he was runoff the track a few times by others.
We will see if he has got talent this season.

millencolin
16th December 2006, 10:26
always been a mid field runner in f3Euro... i remember when i had access to watch most of the 05 season, he was always a midfielder while Hamilton was demolishing them

Giuseppe F1
1st February 2007, 19:42
Giedo jumps ship from Super Aguri already!!

http://www.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/news/detail/070201183708.shtml

Spyker announce four test drivers - and a surprise
Fauzy, van der Garde, Valles and Winkelhock confirmed
01/02/07 18:37

The Spyker Formula One Team this evening announced Fairuz Fauzy, Giedo van der Garde, Adrian Valles and Markus Winkelhock as its test and reserve drivers for 2007. On December 15th the Super Aguri team actually announced van der Garde as their test driver for the coming season and in fact he completed four laps for the Honda backed team in testing yesterday in Valencia...

Fauzy joins the team from GP2 and the A1GP series. He started in karting, securing numerous titles in national and international competitions and later expanded his racing experience when he moved to Europe in 2000 to compete in Formula Ford and Formula Renault. After gathering valuable single-seater mileage he then started a serious campaign in the British Formula 3 series. Fauzy campaigned in the national class of the championship in 2002, before graduating to the championship class in 2003. His notable achievements were five podium finishes in the national class and one podium in the championship. In 2005 Fairuz stepped up to GP2 and now makes his F1 debut as a test and Friday driver with Spyker in 2007.

Van der Garde is graduating to Formula 1 from the highly competitive Euro F3 series in which he won two races in 2006 for the ASM team, following in the footsteps of Spyker F1's new race driver Adrian Sutil.
he began racing in karts at the age of nine before making the switch to cars in 2003, finishing fourth and best placed rookie in the Dutch Formula Renault 2000 championship. Van der Garde joins Spyker F1 as a test and Friday driver.

Valles started racing karts in 2001. After a strong karting career, he drove in Spanish Formula 3, before moving to the World Series by Nissan in 2004. In 2005, he finished second in the newly-renamed series with two race wins, before moving to GP2 with Campos Racing in 2006, the same year he tested for the MF1 Racing Formula One team. Valles now becomes a test and development driver with Spyker F1 for 2007.

After finishing second in the Formula Konig championship in 1998, Winkelhock moved up to Formula Renault for two seasons, finishing fourth both years. He then graduated to the ultra-competitive German Formula 3 series, achieving fourth overall position in the 2003 championship. For the 2004 season Winkelhock switched to touring cars and the DTM before going back to single-seaters the following year in the World Series by Renault. In 2006 Winkelhock, followed in the footsteps of his legendary father Manfred into Formula 1, as a test and development driver; a role he continues to hold in 2007.

Giuseppe F1
1st February 2007, 19:56
Aguri say van der Garde STILL under contract

By Jonathan Noble Thursday, February 1st 2007, 18:45 GMT

Super Aguri insist that Giedo van der Garde remains under contract to them, despite the Dutchman signing for Spyker as a test driver today.

Van der Garde was announced as Super Aguri's third driver at the end of last year and had his first test for the team at Valencia in Spain yesterday.

However, he was one of four test drivers announced by Spyker this evening after signing a deal with the Dutch-owned outfit late last night.

That news has astonished Super Aguri, who are adamant that the Dutchman remains part of their outfit.

Wayne Humphreys, Super Aguri's Chief Financial Officer, told autosport.com: "We are surprised to read the press release issued today as we have a contract with Giedo van der Garde to drive with the Super Aguri F1 team."

Should there be a dispute between Super Aguri and Spyker over who has the right to van der Garde's services then the matter could go to Formula One's Contract Recognition Board.

The last time the body was called into action was when Williams and BAR disputed Jenson Button's services in 2004.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/56552

ArrowsFA1
2nd February 2007, 09:45
Why would van der Garde jump ship to Spyker, where he is likely to disappear without a trace, instead of building his career at Honda :confused: :crazy:

Giuseppe F1
2nd February 2007, 10:56
Why would van der Garde jump ship to Spyker, where he is likely to disappear without a trace, instead of building his career at Honda :confused: :crazy:

Could be the Dutch thing?

Maybe he is bringing sponsors and they are given a better deal in terms of commercial terms and brand exposure at Spyker than at Super Aguri...

...remember, Aguri were listed on the official FIA entry list as 'TBA Super Aguri F1 Team', sparking rumours that they have a title sponsor lined up, so unless this was a sponsor Giedo was bringing to the team, any one of his partners may be looking at better exposure at Spyker who is yet to confirm a title/principal sponsor who would already be taking up a lot of space on the car?

Will be interesting if there will be any financial settlement to Aguri from Spyker or whether the CRB end up getting involved.

All due respect, yet it is strange to have 2 F1 teams fighting over the services of someone of Giedo's calibre (i.e. completely unproven at F1 level)

He must have bails of $$$! :)

ArrowsFA1
2nd February 2007, 11:05
Could be the Dutch thing?...He must have bails of $$$! :)
Probably, but even money isn't going to help his career when he's just 1 of 4 test drivers at a team like Spyker. They haven't even run a car yet, saving money until the new one is ready. The chances of any of the test drivers getting an opportunity to test are limited at best, particularly with a rookie in one of the race seats :dozey:

Giuseppe F1
2nd February 2007, 11:18
Probably, but even money isn't going to help his career when he's just 1 of 4 test drivers at a team like Spyker. They haven't even run a car yet, saving money until the new one is ready. The chances of any of the test drivers getting an opportunity to test are limited at best, particularly with a rookie in one of the race seats :dozey:

Arrows, Spyker have been quite clever with how they have presented their 4 drivers:

Fauzy and Van Der Garde are presented as TEST AND FRIDAY DRIVERS

Valles and Winkelhock are presented as TEST AND DEVELOPMENT DRIVERS

which when translated probably means: Fauzy and Giedo are bringing more cash so we will let them run on the Fridays at GPs, Valles and Markus arent bringing as much so we will let them pound around a cold Silverstone for one Tuesday afternoon this year.

Still, wouldnt be surprised is Valles runs the Friday at Barcelona and Markus at the German event

We shall see

gjalie
2nd February 2007, 11:34
Giedo's father in law is boss at telecom company called Telfort and they are under the wings of the biggest dutch telecom KPN who'd sponsered Doornbos in his first year at Jordan/midland.
So it wouldn't surprise me aft Telfort or KPN will be presented as a big sponser at Spyker in the next couple of days.

ChrisS
2nd February 2007, 19:48
Isnt van der Garde is also part of the McLaren young driver development program?

Heidfeldrulez
10th March 2007, 00:44
I was just wondering if you've read any futher news on that story. Last thing I've heard is that Aguri claims to have a valid contract and will appeal at the Drivers’ Contract Recognition Board.

What happend eventually? Funny thing is, van der Garde hardly came 300km in an F1 car yet (his F1 tests were anything but trouble free) and he doesnt even have a superlicence. Spyker want him to drive the 3rd car in Albert park on friday morning, but FIA -as per March the 9th- havnt decided on the licence yet. Therefor the team asked Winkelhock to travel down-under and be ready for a friday test would van der Garde fail to get the licence.

Is it possible that FIA holds the licence back because they are waiting for the Drivers’ Contract Recognition Board's view on the whole thing first?

Osella
10th March 2007, 21:57
Unlikely, the CRB and the Superlicence boards are two very different things, if he can drive, he can drive and will get the licence. It's then down to the CRB to decide who for!! ;)

It will be interesting to see who becomes everyone's favourite underdog this year, I'm with Spyker! :up:

millencolin
11th March 2007, 01:27
Why would 2 teams fight over him? He's crap!!! did nothing spectacular in EuroF3... im sure they could get someone better... who comes with money (cause thats the only reason i see thee two teams fighting over him... $$$)

cos
11th March 2007, 01:57
Why would 2 teams fight over him?

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns18021.html

ioan
15th March 2007, 10:35
Giedo van der Garde was initially signed for the role in 2007 by Super Aguri, but the Dutch rookie subsequently and controversially switched to the Spyker camp.

Link: http://www.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/news/detail/070315075212.shtml

ioan
15th March 2007, 10:50
http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns18021.html

"Add to this information rumours in recent weeks about Boekhoorn buying a share of Super Aguri F1"

I suppose they mean Spyker.

Heidfeldrulez
15th March 2007, 21:18
Unlikely, the CRB and the Superlicence boards are two very different things, if he can drive, he can drive and will get the licence. It's then down to the CRB to decide who for!! ;)

from f1live.com :

He is in Australia, but must sit out proceedings on Friday because the FIA will only issue a Super License to a driver if his relevant contract is lodged with the Contracts Recognition Board.

The only valid 2007 contract lodged with the CRB bearing van der Garde's signature was drafted by Leafield based Super Aguri.

"That means he cannot get another licence to drive with another team," Super Aguri's managing director Daniele Audetto said in Melbourne.

you see, you couldnt be more wrong :P