PDA

View Full Version : Row erupts over dyslexia 'denial'

Brown, Jon Brow
29th May 2007, 14:26
An education professor has cast doubt on the scientific validity of the term 'dyslexia', saying experts cannot agree on what it is or how to treat it.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/4205932.stm

What do you think? Is dyslexia a real problem or something just made up as an excuse for lazy spelling/reading?

Any dyslexic people out there?

Schultz
29th May 2007, 14:56
Sounds exactly like the row that was caused when the guy who invented the term ADHD was misquoted as saying he no longer believed it was real.

Spoonbender
29th May 2007, 15:04
My old boss from years ago was dyslexic. He would fill out job cards spelling the word "fit" with two "T's". We would tell him every time, but he would still spell it that way on the next card. We used to invite him round for a game of Scrabble, he did see the funny side.

Caroline
29th May 2007, 15:17
There are many forms of dyslexia and it is difficult to diagnose. That's why we don't test children until they are at least 8 years old. There are some people who claim to be dyslexic or have dyslexic tendencies without having had formal testing, which isn't really helpful to the public's perception of dyslexia. Being dyslexic isn't just about how good (or bad) your spelling/reading is, it can touch on other things in life too. One thing people don't realise is that dyslexia and an above average or high IQ are linked.

There isn't one way of working with dyslexia just as there isn't one way to learn how to read or to multiply. Silly article if you ask me.

Drew
29th May 2007, 16:13
In my Uni if you are diagnosed with dyslexia, you are automatically given a laptop, no matter how strong or weak your condition is.

Caroline
29th May 2007, 16:18
In my Uni if you are diagnosed with dyslexia, you are automatically given a laptop, no matter how strong or weak your condition is.

Bangor is a centre of excellence in the study of dyslexia. Their dyslexia unit is highly regarded and I should imagine they are well funded. The laptops are probably a spin off from that.

GridGirl
29th May 2007, 17:37
I too know someone who when diagnosed at university as being dyslexic got a laptop, ipod and extra time in exams. Most of his uni mates wanted to be tested too when they found out.

I never did find out how the ipod was supposed to help. :s

edv
29th May 2007, 18:09
I'm not as think as you drunk I am.

Bezza
29th May 2007, 19:42
Bangor is a centre of excellence in the study of dyslexia. Their dyslexia unit is highly regarded and I should imagine they are well funded. The laptops are probably a spin off from that.

I don't understand the point though. How is a laptop going to cure dyslexia? Its still words on screen. If your dyslexic, any words cannot be read - whether they are written or typed.

Sounds like a waste of money to me.

Dyslexia does exist but so many people who aren't what you would call "dyslexic" pretend to be, when they are indeed just bad spellers or lazy grammatically! That is the problem.

BeansBeansBeans
29th May 2007, 19:45
If your dyslexic, any words cannot be read - whether they are written or typed.

Are you trying to blag a free laptop Bezza?

Daniel
29th May 2007, 23:41
I don't understand the point though. How is a laptop going to cure dyslexia? Its still words on screen. If your dyslexic, any words cannot be read - whether they are written or typed.

Sounds like a waste of money to me.

Dyslexia does exist but so many people who aren't what you would call "dyslexic" pretend to be, when they are indeed just bad spellers or lazy grammatically! That is the problem.
I think laptops are an aid in that they enable people to listen to words fon-et-ic-ally wheras to them words are just a jumble or a blur. I don't think they'd do it for nothing :)

I do agree that some people appear to just give it as an excuse to be lazy. I'm not allwayz gud wif my grammer but I think most of my posts are fairly easy to read and understand even if they're not perfect :)

CarlMetro
30th May 2007, 00:19
I've always wondered which sadistic sod decided to give the syndrome such a hard to spell name :s

oily oaf
30th May 2007, 07:13
I'm a dyslexic, insomniac, agnostic.
I lie awake all night pondering the existence of Dog.

My missus is also dyslexic but she's a Devil worshipper.
Last night she went to a coven and sold her soul to Santa.

Seriously I'm convinced dyslexia is a genuine human condition unlike that Attention Deficit Hyperactive Disorder that so many parents claim affects their little darlings.
"My little Dwayne aint norty 'e's got that ADHD"

No he hasn't love. He's a lairy little **** that is in urgent need of a ******* good shoeing. FACT!

Caroline
30th May 2007, 08:44
There are a few good programs for the PC that when used regularly can help with dyslexia. I guess having your own laptop allows you to use these programs at your convenience. I am thinking of 'Wordshark' which I have used with dyslexic pupils, I would imagine there are versions that are better for adults out there.

Did you know that if you have a child diagnosed with ADHD and they get statemented at school (ie put on the special needs register and closely monitored) you may be entitled to increased benefit payments? Sometimes you have to wonder.

oily oaf
30th May 2007, 10:32
There are a few good programs for the PC that when used regularly can help with dyslexia. I guess having your own laptop allows you to use these programs at your convenience. I am thinking of 'Wordshark' which I have used with dyslexic pupils, I would imagine there are versions that are better for adults out there.

Did you know that if you have a child diagnosed with ADHD and they get statemented at school (ie put on the special needs register and closely monitored) you may be entitled to increased benefit payments? Sometimes you have to wonder.

Hehehehe. Yeah I did know that love. No wonder legions of mums are claiming their saucepans have got this debilitating ague at the infant school where Mrs Oaf is a teacher.
Along with the vast majority of her colleagues she is also highly sceptical with regard to this modern day epidemic.

Just to give you a little topical anecdote, I myself suffered from an extreme form of this condition when I was in my teens :( However after a few tasty swipes across the jaw from my old man combined with a 6 week stint at an Outward Bound course for juvenile delinquents in Scotland and an enrollment into a local boxing gym I was cured almost overnight.
Stroll on! It's a funny old world innit? ;)

PS if anyone detects a rather impatient, irascible tone to my posts today I can only cite the fact that I have torn a forearm muscle and cannot therefore work or earn nor can I go the gym and toss some iron around.
In short I'm like a bear with ADHT this fine morning :s murf:

BDunnell
30th May 2007, 10:45
There are some people who claim to be dyslexic or have dyslexic tendencies without having had formal testing, which isn't really helpful to the public's perception of dyslexia.

Very good point. This is surely the problem, rather than querying whether the condition exists.

BeansBeansBeans
30th May 2007, 11:40
Very good point. This is surely the problem, rather than querying whether the condition exists.

This is problem which dilutes the credibility of many ailments.

Many people will say they have Flu when they have a mild cold.
Or say they’re depressed when they’re merely a bit sad.
Or claim to have a migraine when they only have a headache.

BDunnell
30th May 2007, 12:43
This is problem which dilutes the credibility of many ailments.

Many people will say they have Flu when they have a mild cold.
Or say they’re depressed when they’re merely a bit sad.
Or claim to have a migraine when they only have a headache.

Exactly. :up:

Dave B
30th May 2007, 12:46
Agreed, especially about depression. Too many people sieze upon a condition, specially when celebrities make it fashionable, and claim to be suffering without any formal testing.

schmenke
30th May 2007, 18:54
... I have torn a forearm muscle and cannot toss.

:s hock:

I want a toplap :mad:

BDunnell
31st May 2007, 12:58
I have long enjoyed this cutting from a local paper in the UK some years ago:

'DYSLEXIA WEEK
The annual week of events and discussions organised by the Dyslexia Institute to focus attention on the reading disorder started yeatreday.'

donKey jote
31st May 2007, 17:09
I thought this thread was about Daniel :dozey:

BDunnell
31st May 2007, 17:23
I thought this thread was about Daniel :dozey:

:laugh:

Hazell B
1st June 2007, 22:22
When those charming little darlings used my vehicle's roof as a bouncy castle some months ago, the police couldn't interview the main culprit because of his assorted disorders, including ADHD (or whatever they're calling hyperactivity these days). His parents had spent a good deal of time in youth court with an older son, so had this youngster up before countless doctors to get him diagnosed with anything and everything ready for the police catching up with him. It worked - he's 8 years old and has a 'get out of Borstal Free' card in place until he's 14.

I'm told that's common practice among a certain type of family these days :mark:

The other ones, the dreaded middle class family, will try and hang a label on a child who isn't doing as well in class as they had wished. It lets them off the hook when their child is normal rather than a genius. Over the past few years I've seen about 50% of the little kids who used to come to our local pony jumping shows develop assorted excuses (sorry, disorders) including Asberger's, and they're all the children of the pushy, ambitious parents who claimed the kid had a reading age of ten when they were five. Funny that :rolleyes:

It's simply not fair at all on the children who really do have problems and challenges in their lives. Those children are probably the ones who would complain least and get overlooked a little as a result. The teachers have too much on their plate to spot everything and speak to parents, so it's the ones with pushy or dodgy parents who'll get help when they don't deserve it most of the time I bet.

Drew
4th June 2007, 01:31

Ahh I'm with you, but that's the first time I've heard that.

Dyslexics of the world untie!

Sorry, I had to, I'll get my own coat.

SEATFreak
4th June 2007, 14:34
From what I understand of the professors point when he was interviewed on GMTV what he actualy meant was their was too many wide ranging sysmptoms of such learning difficulties like Dyslexia and what I am sure I have DysPRAXIA for one universal treatment to be concieved.

I feel my memory retention is poor on certain things, I feel I cannot absorb certain levels of certain information, I feel my brain-eye co-ordination is poor (when I try to tye fast every second key practically becomes a wrong one) and I feel I cannot express in words fully what my brain want's to say.

I even had two go's of a test at two different hospitals. And both times I couldn't do really well. To me it was like the Krypton Factor. Like when I had to recite back a list of about 20 items in reverse, or when I had to look at a pattern that was on a sheet of paper and use plastic cubes which could replicate it. Some were red, some were white and some were halfed diagonally between red and white.

But others will say they have problems in other areas.