PDA

View Full Version : Marbles off the racing line

ShiftingGears
29th May 2007, 09:39
When did marbles off the racing line start appearing/start becoming a major factor in grand prix racing?

Cheers

DimitraF1
29th May 2007, 10:59
when they appear :P

Flat.tyres
29th May 2007, 13:45
some times they dont impact a race at all and sometimes after about 5 laps, its like off roading if you catch a loaded tyre on them. depends on the abrasive quality of the track and the composition of the tyre.

GridGirl
29th May 2007, 17:43
I think they've always been a factor, its just that you never really think about it as you can never see them on the tv coverage. If you ever get chance in invade an F1 circuit after the race you will be amazed at how much discarded pieces of rubber is left on the track.

Althought when they go round after the GP on a slowing down lap trying to pick up the marbles, I've always failed to see how its going to add enough weight to your car to make sure its over the legal weight restriction.

Viktory
29th May 2007, 19:27
I think they've always been a factor, its just that you never really think about it as you can never see them on the tv coverage. If you ever get chance in invade an F1 circuit after the race you will be amazed at how much discarded pieces of rubber is left on the track.

Althought when they go round after the GP on a slowing down lap trying to pick up the marbles, I've always failed to see how its going to add enough weight to your car to make sure its over the legal weight restriction.

Yeah, I did that for the 24 hour of Le Mans in 2005. Have a few glass jars of rubber marbles I picked up as a souvenir :p

I thought the marbles were also picked up to make sure the cars passed the minimum ride height regulation. And I've heard that rubber marbles can be picked up equaling 1 kg per tyre.

wmcot
29th May 2007, 20:55
If you look back at video of races in the '70s and '80s, there doesn't seem to be a problem with going off-line to pass. I don't know if the tires didn't degrade as quickly or if it wasn't as much of a problem with wider tires. The again, those cars drifted through the turns with the rear end hung out anyway. Maybe they were used to driving without much traction?

N. Jones
29th May 2007, 22:41
Just look at Canada '05 and especially '06 to see how marbles affect a car!

wmcot
30th May 2007, 07:34
We all want more overtaking, so if you could find a way to eliminate the marbles there would not be one narrow racing line any longer. Cars could move inside and outside without losing it.

BTW - F1 is not alone in this problem. I was watching part of the Indy 500 and each time a slower car moved over to allow the leaders by, he went into the wall because of the marbles.

wedge
30th May 2007, 14:37
If you look back at video of races in the '70s and '80s, there doesn't seem to be a problem with going off-line to pass. I don't know if the tires didn't degrade as quickly or if it wasn't as much of a problem with wider tires. The again, those cars drifted through the turns with the rear end hung out anyway. Maybe they were used to driving without much traction?

In those days tyre technology was inferior. They raced with much harder tyres and drifting was the solution for the lack of aero/mechanical grip.

Today's tyres are softer and more durable. A way of putting this into perspective is that today's BS spec tyres are not too similar to the 2003 spec tyres - remember BS were in a tyre war with Michelin!

wmcot
31st May 2007, 06:56
In those days tyre technology was inferior. They raced with much harder tyres and drifting was the solution for the lack of aero/mechanical grip.

Today's tyres are softer and more durable. A way of putting this into perspective is that today's BS spec tyres are not too similar to the 2003 spec tyres - remember BS were in a tyre war with Michelin!

I totally agree, but those hard tires made less "marbles" and therefore the racing line was wider. The cars could not only overtake, but go through corners side-by-side. If a tire company could make a sticky tire that didn't degrade as much, the racing would be much better.

ioan
31st May 2007, 16:34
If a tire company could make a sticky tire that didn't degrade as much, the racing would be much better.

That's a HUGE IF.

call_me_andrew
1st June 2007, 04:30
Well during rain it is sometimes beneficail to run off-line in a turn. Wether this is due to the marbles themselves or more abrasive pavement, I'm not sure.

wmcot
1st June 2007, 05:11
That's a HUGE IF.

Yes, it is a HUGE "IF" but a company that could build such a tire would make a fortune!