PDA

View Full Version : Whats The Future of Formula One?

Stuartf12007
28th May 2007, 20:42
Will changes be made to allow for overtaking?
If so what can we do?

Should qualifying be changed?
what do you recommend?

The boost button idea is good, but it needs to be brought in now not in 5 years.

I would like to see 2 mandatory pit stops at every race for tyres and fuel.

Extra points should be given for finishing in the top 3 at qualifying.

Fastest race lap should get a point

Fastest pit stop should get a point

these are just a few of my ideas.

F1boat
28th May 2007, 21:39
Ban winglets.
Ban carbon brakes.
Return slicks.

Roamy
28th May 2007, 21:41
If you want to fix F1 give Mosely's job to Villeneuve

schmenke
28th May 2007, 22:08
If so what can we do?

what do you recommend?

The boost button idea is good, but it needs to be brought in now not in 5 years.

:down:
Too many gimmicks.

Ban winglets, allow ground effects and slick tyres.

wmcot
28th May 2007, 22:10

lol - I like it!

Easy Drifter
28th May 2007, 22:27
No wings or diffuser tunnels behind the driver. Watch the designers go nuts. All that downforce available at the front but none at the rear. Can you say driver out behind the gearbox.

jso1985
28th May 2007, 22:39
If so what can we do?

Ban winglets, or at least limit them or even better give the designers total freedom to design their cars and make them figure out how to make overtaking easier and bring back slick tyres. actually don't mind much, F1 isn't just about overtaking

what do you recommend?

the current is to boring IMO, just that, I'd like to have single lap without race fuel

[/QUOTE]

sorry but no thanks :down: , I don't like artificial measures to enhance the show.

wmcot
29th May 2007, 07:13
sorry but no thanks :down: , I don't like artificial measures to enhance the show.

You mean like V8s, rev limiting, limited rear wing aero, increased front wing height, grooved tires, two types of tires, engine freezes, narrower cars, decreased diffuser size...

call_me_andrew
29th May 2007, 08:20
If so what can we do?

[I]what do you recommend?

Let's just get rid of the winglets and go from there.

I don't like the current qualifying system. The fastest cars get extra track time which is both good and bad. While the drivers can have extra seat time, there's more wear put on the engines and gearboxes, and more chances for something to go wrong.

I would go with one of these two qualifying formats:
1. Single car, two lap, two session- Each car goes out one at a time and runs two laps. The average of these laps will be the qualifying time of the session. The fastest car in each session will start on the front row. If a driver is the fastest in both sessions, he will recieve a bonus point no matter how he performs in the race. Race fuel would not be required.

2. Multi-car, multi-session- The cars will be broken down into three groups of 4 and two groups of 5 based on practice speeds. Each group would get 9 minutes of track time, and they can run as many hot laps and go to the pits as many times as they want (time permitting). The three slow groups of 4 will go out first and the two groups of 5 would go out last. To provide a better example of how the groups would be set, I'll use the Saturday practice speeds from Monaco.

Group 1
Trulli, Liuzzi, Schumacher, Albers
Group 2
Heidfeld, Wurz, Kubica, Coulthard
Group 3
Davidson, Sato, Massa, Webber
Group 4
Barrichello, Button, Rosberg, Kovalainen, Alonso
Group 5
Speed, Fisichella, Hamilton, Raikkonen, Sutil

I didn't get a chance to watch Saturday practice, so if someone could tell me how a Spyker was the fastest, feel free to speak up.

ShiftingGears
29th May 2007, 08:34
You mean like V8s, rev limiting, grooved tires, two types of tires, engine freezes, narrower cars,

That would be assuming that they actually enhance the show ;)

No electronic aids, wider cars, and more power over grip!

And better circuits. And better leaders of the FIA :D

Corny
29th May 2007, 10:10
harder tyres

CarlMetro
29th May 2007, 10:31
If so what can we do?

what do you recommend?

Remove all add-on aero devices apart from single element front and single element rear wings, non of these multi-layered jobbies that are becoming increasingly more popular.

Ban Traction Control

Ban radios and car to pit telemtry

Championship leader after the first three races has to tow a caravan if he qualifies inside the top ten :D

I don't like the idea of a boost button, unless there is a penalty for using it like in the old turbo days when you could turn up your turbo boost but at the cost of fuel efficency. Most races these days invole two pitstops for most of the drivers, so making them madatory makes no real sense. If you gave extra points for top three qualifying, then that would just increase the advantage of the leading teams over the rest of the field. I do believe that a point should be given for fastest race lap though, but fastest pit stop? :crazy:

Donney
29th May 2007, 11:17
Going back to basics seems good to me.

As CArl said ban aero devices apart from single front and back wings,

Going back to slicks sounds nice.

Get rid of electronics (but I wonder how that could be monitored) and driver aids.

And one point for the fastest lap is good.

SteveA
29th May 2007, 13:42
I'd like to see dirty tricks gadgets a la Dick Dastardly - Oil Sick, Smoke Screen, those telescopic suspension arms that allow a car to pass OVER the one in front etc...

That would make it more interesting for me.

;)

seppefan
29th May 2007, 14:01

I like it.

Also tell Bernie to stop being so greedy all the time. Think a wee bit about the fans for once.

CarlMetro
29th May 2007, 14:07
Also tell Bernie to stop being so greedy all the time. Think a wee bit about the fans for once.

How will that improve the quality of the racing? :confused:

Mikeall
29th May 2007, 21:17
Too many people on the forum are luddites... F1 cars must be state of the art and give the designers freedom. Alternatives do exist in other less popular, less important series like V8 Supercars...

The cars need to be kept interesting with opportunities for innovation not standardisation.

Some kind of power to pass system must be introduced since they set a rev limit. Hopefully the energy recovery systems will allow for that.

sonic_roadhog
29th May 2007, 22:47

Or Clarkson! The guys a genius. For anyone without his latest top gear article his latest brilliant idea is to pay drivers nearly sweet F A and give them a million dollars a pass. It would certainly prove if it were possible to overtake in a modern F1 car.

CarlMetro
29th May 2007, 23:06
The cars need to be kept interesting with opportunities for innovation not standardisation.

I grant you that the cars should be kept interesting, but at what cost? If we continue to see procession after procession, with one or two teams completely dominating the race, and where the finishing places are almost decided, baring mechanical failure, after the first three corners of a 60+ lap race.

Sooner rather than later sponsors will see decreases in audience, both TV and track side because people have better things to do or spend their hard-earned on than boring racing, no matter how innovative the cars are. When that happens they'll start to pull the sponsorship from teams, which will in turn see teams pull out and the sport will implode on itself.

Personally I've been following F1 for more than 30 years and I've witnessed a lot of changes and a lot of good racing too. Time was when I would have to be dead to miss a single qualifying session, let alone a race, especially when it is in my own timezone. Yet these days I tend to watch qualifying if it's on when I'm around, if I miss it then so be it. I've also started recording the races and watching them when there's nothing else I want to watch, skipping through the hour of dross and Hamilton worship that preceeds the race and then skipping through boring parts of the race and the advert breaks.

To keep me, and many many like me, interested F1 has got to change and I don't mean in ten years time either.

Donney
30th May 2007, 11:42
Too many people on the forum are luddites... F1 cars must be state of the art and give the designers freedom. Alternatives do exist in other less popular, less important series like V8 Supercars...

Some kind of power to pass system must be introduced since they set a rev limit. Hopefully the energy recovery systems will allow for that.

Where does it say so? F1 is just another racing series, of course it is the most important one but I don't remember where it talks about the state of the art thing. Besides, you just have to change the concept of art to create new states of the art. So let's change it to make it interesting. Unless we agree that all the technical talk and no racing action whatsoever is what we want for our Sundays.

jas123f1
30th May 2007, 13:15
I think those tyre rules we have today are not fair – them only make’s it more difficult to the slower teams, because it forces team’s to make several settings for their cars, which is more difficult when you are not allowed use which tyres you “need” use for the best performance Imo that’s one thing they (FIA) should change immediately - it’s not right that as today the company which are delivering tyres also can decide which tyres teams have to use.

In my mind there should be 4 different compounds every time and teams should be allowed to make an own choice and use what they want to use (the decision must be down e.g. latest after Friday practice) - without any additional limitations.

I don’t think any team would have used the softest compounds in Monaco without those rules because the harder was much better. The result of that was that one stopper’s (slower teams) were forced to use the slower tyres longer time (which make them only more slower) because they had to use them during half of the race. Too many rules – that’s my opinion of it…

The other thing what I’d like to see is reintroducing slicks from 2008.

:)

AndyRAC
30th May 2007, 14:57
Where does it say so? F1 is just another racing series, of course it is the most important one but I don't remember where it talks about the state of the art thing. Besides, you just have to change the concept of art to create new states of the art. So let's change it to make it interesting. Unless we agree that all the technical talk and no racing action whatsoever is what we want for our Sundays.

I agree, but it is gemerally accepted that F1 must be state of art with latest most advanced technology. However I would like to see a return to slicks, less/no traction control, single plane front wing, double plane rear wing, let engine manufacturers decide on what format for their engines, v8,v10,v12,. Another thing, the tracks they race on, Barcelona, Hockenheim, Nurburing, all ruined. No Suzuka, why? Aaaagghhh...!!!! Potentially F1 could be so much better, it just seems they're only interested in making money.

ClarkFan
30th May 2007, 19:47
Championship leader after the first three races has to tow a caravan if he qualifies inside the top ten :D

Can the caravan be configured to provide additional downforce?

:p

;)

ClarkFan

ClarkFan
30th May 2007, 19:59
In my mind there should be 4 different compounds every time and teams should be allowed to make an own choice and use what they want to use (the decision must be down e.g. latest after Friday practice) - without any additional limitations.

I don’t think any team would have used the softest compounds in Monaco without those rules because the harder was much better. The result of that was that one stopper’s (slower teams) were forced to use the slower tyres longer time (which make them only more slower) because they had to use them during half of the race. Too many rules – that’s my opinion of it…

The current "run both types" rule does seem needlessly complex. It would be much simpler to change it to "you have to race on the same compound you used in qualifying." If it is the harder compound and your tires can last all race, good for you. If that compound is too soft and you run out of tires, tough luck.

The FIA just doesn't seem to believe in setting rules with natural consequences, and the letting those consequences play out. :\

ClarkFan

schmenke
30th May 2007, 20:15
...Championship leader after the first three races has to tow a caravan if he qualifies inside the top ten :D ...

Lots of room for sponsors' logos :up: :D

CarlMetro
30th May 2007, 20:19
Can the caravan be configured to provide additional downforce?

Yes but a 5 second penalty to be added to the finishing time for every broken cup or plate :D

SteveA
31st May 2007, 01:23
I bet a certain team will get investigated for "flexible crockery"!

waitey
2nd June 2007, 04:10
as long as they are not v6 engines with a ridiculous 10,000rpm limit i will be fairly happy. What happened about slicks, there was big proposals for that to go ahead soon or was that my imagination?

I say keep the current engines or go back to V10's, bring in slicks, remove most if not all of the little winglets, and maybe make the cars a tad wider. That would make me happy. Done deal.

ClarkFan
2nd June 2007, 05:15
Yes but a 5 second penalty to be added to the finishing time for every broken cup or plate :D

So part of scrutineering is to bring the stewards in and serve them tea?

;)

ClarkFan

Valve Bounce
2nd June 2007, 05:23
I have been saying this for ages:

1) Ban all on board computers; and if necessary to police this, then ban all on board batteries

2) Ban all wings.

That's all it takes to save a helluva lot of money, and put the good drivers up front.

I havn't got a smilie for this so I'll just put it in colons :take a bow:

wmcot
2nd June 2007, 08:12
I have been saying this for ages:

1) Ban all on board computers; and if necessary to police this, then ban all on board batteries

2) Ban all wings.

That's all it takes to save a helluva lot of money, and put the good drivers up front.

I basically agree, but I would modify it a bit:

1) Only the standard ECU as proposed is allowed

2) Ban all winglets, flip-ups, etc. mounted between the front and rear wings, but keep a simplified wing at front and rear without extra appendages added (similar to 1980's and early 1990's)

3) Bring back slicks and allow slightly wider cars.

Still simple and cost reducing yet it gives a little more room to make standard aero tweaks like adding more front or rear wing.

veeten
3rd June 2007, 18:00
I bet a certain team will get investigated for "flexible crockery"!

one word... Tupperware! :p : :D