PDA

View Full Version : Surprising fact learnt today

AndySpeed
5th December 2006, 16:46
In another one of my interesting linguistics lectures (no more 'eats shoots and leaves' for now :p : ) I found that women don't actually talk as much as men! From a corpus of language, it is found that (from the British National Corpus):

Females speak a total of 3,267,444 words
Males speak a total of 4,920,742 words

I find it hard to believe, women always seem to have the most pointless conversations

Brown, Jon Brow
5th December 2006, 16:50
Have you ever had a conversation with a women. It's always the man that asks the questions to start a conversation, then men have to put so much effort into keeping the conversation going.

BDunnell
5th December 2006, 16:52
I remember a similar study a few years ago, which concluded that women nag their partners more in the evenings because they use up fewer words over the course of the day. This makes being gay an even more preferable option.

Brown, Jon Brow
5th December 2006, 16:53
I remember a similar study a few years ago, which concluded that women nag their partners more in the evenings because they use up fewer words over the course of the day. This makes being gay an even more preferable option.

:erm:

edv
5th December 2006, 17:22
Wasn't there a study published this past month claiming that women talked 3 times as much as men?

viper_man
5th December 2006, 17:31
I do not beleive that information at all, everyone knows women talk a hell of a lot more than men. Whether it be pointless, interesting or otherwise, women talk more.

Andrewmcm
5th December 2006, 17:36
Wasn't there a study published this past month claiming that women talked 3 times as much as men?

Yeah, I saw that too. I imagine there is a difference between the number of words that a preson says, and the number of words a person has in their vocabulary.

EuroTroll
5th December 2006, 18:11
From a corpus of language, it is found that (from the British National Corpus):

What does this mean? :erm: What's "a corpus of language"?

LotusElise
5th December 2006, 20:26
Surely it depends on a lot of factors - a person who lives alone probably talks less than someone who lives with their partner and children. A person who doesn't own a telephone may speak less, for example.

Who goes round counting words anyway?

(I'm sure that the Corpus study is to do with the size of a person's vocabulary rather than the amount they speak anyway, although I have no idea how you measure that objectively either.)

schmenke
5th December 2006, 20:44
...everyone knows women talk a hell of a lot more than men. Whether it be pointless, interesting or otherwise, women talk more.

Mrs. Schmenke is living proof... :erm:

EuroTroll
5th December 2006, 20:51
(I'm sure that the Corpus study is to do with the size of a person's vocabulary rather than the amount they speak anyway, although I have no idea how you measure that objectively either.)

I was under the impression that the English language is generally estimated to have about 200,000 words...

RaceFanStan
5th December 2006, 20:58
..... This makes being gay an even more preferable option.
Is that a confession ? :laugh:

edv
5th December 2006, 23:12
I was under the impression that the English language is generally estimated to have about 200,000 words...

Yes, I heard the same thing...perhaps 250,000.

And the average person's vocabulary is somewhere around 10,000 words, except for politicians and lawyers. The smart ones have up to 12,000 words IIRC.

I wonder if bilingual people only know half the words....

Storm
6th December 2006, 11:28
Is that a confession ?

you are not keeping pace with the forums then :p :

Sleeper
6th December 2006, 15:19
Whoever said that clearly hasnt met my sister.

Donney
6th December 2006, 16:51
Well coming to think about it, it makes sense doesn't it?

It has traditionally been said that women have better communicative abilities than men, therefore it is only logical that they need less words to communicate.

I don't particularly agree with any of the mentioned studies though, I think it is an individual matter.

Alexamateo
6th December 2006, 18:50
Whoever said that clearly hasnt met my sister.

Nor my wife! :laugh:

martinbalmer
6th December 2006, 19:02

How does it fare for lesbian couples? :p :

Many years ago my maths teacher said that with gay partners, one tended to be more feminine and the other maybe slightly more towards masculine.

I don't think Kerry talks any greater amount than I do, and she doesn't nag. So, I'm lucky there..

BDunnell
6th December 2006, 23:17
How does it fare for lesbian couples? :p :

I believe they tend to be largely silent throughout the day.

jso1985
7th December 2006, 00:03
So women talk 3 times more than men but they use less words?

My sisters proves it I think, the only words I hear from her are "stupid" "gimme that" and "where's the cat" :p :

Quattroporte
7th December 2006, 00:15
In another one of my interesting linguistics lectures (no more 'eats shoots and leaves' for now :p : ) I found that women don't actually talk as much as men! From a corpus of language, it is found that (from the British National Corpus):

I find it hard to believe, women always seem to have the most pointless conversations

It's probably because the men are alive for an extra 5years...?

BeansBeansBeans
7th December 2006, 00:19
It's probably because the men are alive for an extra 5years...?

I'm fairly sure that women live longer than men, on average.

Quattroporte
7th December 2006, 00:20
No hang on, I've got it now. They only surveyed Gay men.

CarlMetro
7th December 2006, 13:18
Perhaps the survey was conducted on young adults, where the males, especially around here, seem to feel the need to add 'man', 'dude', 'innit' or 'like' several times into everyday sentences where they would otherwise be unnecessary :dozey:

Sleeper
7th December 2006, 14:46
Perhaps the survey was conducted on young adults, where the males, especially around here, seem to feel the need to add 'man', 'dude', 'innit' or 'like' several times into everyday sentences where they would otherwise be unnecessary :dozey:
No, sadly thats a global desease.