PDA

View Full Version : Monaco needs to go

mstillhere
28th May 2007, 18:56
After watching the Monaco GP I have to say that it has become as boring as ever. I don't have anything against Monaco. It's their track. I know how historical it is, I know how prestigeous it is and how beautiful the sight of the water is BUT there is a major component that does not work: PASSING IS IMPOSSIBLE DUE TO LACK OF SPACE. Yesterday, for the first time in my entire life I turned my TV off before the end of the race. I felt like I was watching a golden fish swimming around his little bowl for ever. On top of that, to make the whole experience more excrutiating, the McLAren slowed their pace down their message being "what's the point (in racing)? Nobody can pass us now anyway". This race needs to go or why not assign the points on Saturday, at the end of the qualifyng session (although Kimi might not like it)? Here we are with all the teams tryng to make their cars faster and faster slowing down in this almost hypnotic race were the most technoligically packed car could be racing with a scooter. Look at the newest tracks. Very wide, very modern designed to allow cars compete with each other in order to entertain the already extra bored viewers of this sport.

Kevincal
28th May 2007, 19:01
I didn't watch the whole race either...Too bad it didn't rain, that would have livened things up a bit! Maybe they should modify the track in certain areas to make it wider and offer more passing opportunities.

Big Ben
28th May 2007, 19:08
After watching the Monaco GP I have to say that it has become as boring as ever. I don't have anything against Monaco. It's their track. I know how historical it is, I know how prestigeous it is and how beautiful the sight of the water is BUT there is a major component that does not work: PASSING IS IMPOSSIBLE DUE TO LACK OF SPACE. Yesterday, for the first time in my entire life I turned my TV off before the end of the race. I felt like I was watching a golden fish swimming around his little bowl for ever. On top of that, to make the whole experience more excrutiating, the McLAren slowed their pace down their message being "what's the point (in racing)? Nobody can pass us now anyway". This race needs to go or why not assign the points on Saturday, at the end of the qualifyng session (although Kimi might not like it)? Here we are with all the teams tryng to make their cars faster and faster slowing down in this almost hypnotic race were the most technoligically packed car could be racing with a scooter. Look at the newest tracks. Very wide, very modern designed to allow cars compete with each other in order to entertain the already extra bored viewers of this sport.

it had nothing to do with the fact that Ferrari was so far behind, right?
Seeing MS winning 5 years in a row most of the time without real opposition didn't bother you, did it?
The 2004 season didn't make you turn off the tv in june, did it?
give me a break!

Brown, Jon Brow
28th May 2007, 19:19
Boring? No different to any other race this season then :rolleyes:

AndyRAC
28th May 2007, 19:40
While I know what you are saying, I can't agree with you. Along with Silverstone and Monza, Monaco should always be on the calendar, it doesn't allow passing, but it has history, glamour, etc. If it was to go, what would replace it? Another of Tilke's disasters? Was watching a tape of Hockenheim from 1991 the other day, what a scandal, how were they allowed to do that? Did they ask all the people who use it, DTM, German F3, etc Seem to remember Moto GP (500cc) using it. Really annoys me that circuits change just because F1 demands it, what about all the other formulae. Rant over!!!

jens
28th May 2007, 19:54
I think it may have been the most boring Monaco Grand Prix that I have ever watched, but I still like to see that track on the calendar in the future. It's just so special that even lacks of overtakings don't change my general mood and attitude. A different circuit on the calendar. Passing is very tough, but on the other hand it may sound weird - this is exactly what makes Monaco so special! Circuit puts extra emphasis on other areas - qualifying and strategy. Who can make the most of them?

Anything can happen in F1 and especially at Monaco. If someone had crashed hard in the middle of the race and safety car had come out, it would have clearly changed the general character of the race.

aryan
28th May 2007, 19:56
Seeing MS winning 5 years in a row most of the time without real opposition didn't bother you, did it?
give me a break!

:up:

F1boat
28th May 2007, 20:38
Monaco is the greatest track in F1, my father watches only this race in F1, I also love it, always, no matter who wins.

Roamy
28th May 2007, 20:39
As I have said many times before. Monaco needs to build a modern track up the hill and use this one for vintage racing

Allyc85
28th May 2007, 20:42
This year was boring n I almost fell asleep but I dont think the last couple have been bad at all. If they dropped it many sponsors would probably leave the sport n at a time when finding sponsership in motorsport is difficult it wouldnt be the best idea.

schmenke
28th May 2007, 21:06
The tracks are not the problem...

Easy Drifter
28th May 2007, 21:21
Monaco is Monaco is glamour! End of story. The racing there is secondary to the history and the glamour and all the teams know it. The only ones who hate it are the mechanics and they don't matter in Bernie's scheme of things.

jso1985
28th May 2007, 21:45
so once again... F1 is only about overtaking??
The track is certainly dull but if you can't feel the Monaco magic then you don't understand F1, go watch other category

F1boat
28th May 2007, 21:46
so once again... F1 is only about overtaking??
The track is certainly dull but if you can't feel the Monaco magic then you don't understand F1, go watch other category

I agree.

dont_be_jack
28th May 2007, 22:13
I wasn't aware that overtaking occurred in F1.

codalunga
28th May 2007, 22:49
After watching the Monaco GP I have to say that it has become as boring as ever. I don't have anything against Monaco. It's their track. I know how historical it is, I know how prestigeous it is and how beautiful the sight of the water is BUT there is a major component that does not work: PASSING IS IMPOSSIBLE DUE TO LACK OF SPACE.

Actually there was passing, just not up front. Even if it were true, other tracks get similar complaints.

Since the McLarens lapped everyone but Massa, and finished a minute ahead of him, the lack of passing room wasn't an issue as far as the podium positions. It was a classic McLaren exhibition of demoralizing technical superiority and driving excellence.

I'm not bothered by McLaren slowing their cars. Not really any different than simply not pulling out as big of lead during the race to begin with. Being careful and not blowing a seemingly sure and unchallenged 1-2 is not unique to F1 or McLaren.

Valve Bounce
28th May 2007, 23:11
I just love, especially when I recognise these guys racing where I drove my huge campervan. :p :

millencolin
29th May 2007, 00:32
get rid of monaco? are you high? thats like telling the IRL to get rid of the Indy500! Monaco is our showpiece event, it belongs at that track! There is more to f1 than overtaking, there is history and prestige... That is Monaco!

call_me_andrew
29th May 2007, 00:38
get rid of monaco? are you high? thats like telling the IRL to get rid of the Indy500! Monaco is our showpiece event, it belongs at that track! There is more to f1 than overtaking, there is history and prestige... That is Monaco!

There's a big difference there. The IRL will die with out the Indy 500. In today's reality of F1, Monaco is just another race. It's as easy to replace as Silverstone, Monza, Imola, the Nurburgring, etc...

I'd just like to say that was watching intently over the last two laps. That is to say, I slept through the first 76 laps.

DimitraF1
29th May 2007, 00:56
eu i will give you a kit kat:P lol

DimitraF1
29th May 2007, 00:57
is an unfair race,they should modify the trach in some points to be wider thats my point of view

Hawkmoon
29th May 2007, 02:22
give me a break!

What the hell has Schumi and Ferrari in 2004 got to do with a boring race at Monaco THIS year? :dozey:

Anyway, in regards to the actual topic of the thread...

The race was boring. Nothing eventful happened. If there was passing we didn't see it. Monaco is a terrible track to race F1 cars on if you want to see cars racing each other in anything other than a single file procession.

Monaco, however, has an appeal that is unique to this circuit. The sight of the those cars at those speeds around that track is truly great. The good Monaco races we have had have usually had a major incident to liven up the race. 2004 being a good example with cars hitting each other and the walls all over the place. That's the appeal of Monaco. Not seeing great passes but seeing which drivers make it through the race with their cars in one piece.

This year we had, what, three retirements? No incidents, no passing and no competition at the front makes for a boring race. Monaco should stay but I think we will get many boring races there even if the cars were much easier to pass.

Valve Bounce
29th May 2007, 03:04
Apart from the challenge for anyone to qualify well, and race fast enough without kissing armco, there is more to Monaco in terms of F1

It seems that sponsors turn up at Monaco to be there and to be enticed into sponsorships.

There was a time when they had F3 races there before the GP and drivers who won there had a good chance of getting to race in F1 in the future.

Many drivers do find Monaco the greatest challenge in F1.

mstillhere
29th May 2007, 04:46
give me a break!

Actually in this case I am not being biased (although I know it's hard to believe). I know it's me but I like speed, fighting, PASSING, I like the drama and you know what, all the stuff about tradition, although I recognize it's very important to some people, in my view is contrary to the spirit of F1. To me, F1 is innovation, creating new challenges, new engines, new everything. Again, that's my opinion and that's why I very much welcome the new tracks, regardeless of who wins, in Turkey, China, Malaysia and so on where the pure, raw power of these beasts (red, silver, orange it does not matter) can offer to an already bored public an exciting reason why to watch this sport.
As far as stopping watching the gold fish swimming around at a constant diminishing speed (I know, driving at a high speed is dangerous) after so many years is definetly in my mind.

Valve Bounce
29th May 2007, 05:17
Actually in this case I am not being biased (although I know it's hard to believe). I know it's me but I like speed, fighting, PASSING, I like the drama and you know what, all the stuff about tradition, although I recognize it's very important to some people, in my view is contrary to the spirit of F1. To me, F1 is innovation, creating new challenges, new engines, new everything. Again, that's my opinion and that's why I very much welcome the new tracks, regardeless of who wins, in Turkey, China, Malaysia and so on where the pure, raw power of these beasts (red, silver, orange it does not matter) can offer to an already bored public an exciting reason why to watch this sport.
As far as stopping watching the gold fish swimming around at a constant diminishing speed (I know, driving at a high speed is dangerous) after so many years is definetly in my mind.

You, my man, are obviously following the wrong series. There is one series that has everything you desire: Aussi V8's. And if you possibly can, watch the Bathurst race later this year. And if, by some miracle you have the opportunity, go to Bathurst and watch it live. And don't forget to wear the FORD T-shirt. And find yourself a place up through the winding part at the top of the circuit.

cosmicpanda
29th May 2007, 06:55
And don't forget to wear the FORD T-shirt. And find yourself a place up through the winding part at the top of the circuit.

And avoid getting mobbed by Holden fans.

I enjoy watching the cars drive such a crazily windy and narrow track, with barriers so close.

Up until the pitstops were over, I was also wondering if Hamilton would have been able to overtake Alonso, but obviously that didn't happen. *shrugs*

So I did actually enjoy quite a lot of the race. Far more than I would have enjoyed, say, a dry race at the Hungaroring.

ShiftingGears
29th May 2007, 07:30
I think THE CARS should be the ones that should be going. Some of the best races in history have happened at Monaco, and it is the most unique track in F1. If you build a new one, widen it, make the straights longer, tighten the turns - how would it be ANY different from any other circuits on the calendar? Yes, it is twisty, tight, narrow, and slow. It's different!

It is unique, its challenging, it has tradition and it has character. For that reason, Monaco must stay.

Valve Bounce
29th May 2007, 07:33
I think THE CARS should be the ones that should be going. Some of the best races in history have happened at Monaco, and it is the most unique track in F1. If you build a new one, widen it, make the straights longer, tighten the turns - how would it be ANY different from any other circuits on the calendar? Yes, it is twisty, tight, narrow, and slow. It's different!

It is unique, its challenging, it has tradition and it has character. For that reason, Monaco must stay.

OK!! so here's an idea: why not run Aussi V8's at Monaco?

ShiftingGears
29th May 2007, 07:37
I'd give it a shot :D

Hawkmoon
29th May 2007, 07:38

Well said.

Take the new Hockenheim for example. It's just another boring Tilke track with no character. The old Hockenheim was different and I liked the fact that it was nothing more than a pure top speed circuit because the only other track even remotely like it was Monza.

Monaco is unique. I hope they keep it that way.

-Helix-
29th May 2007, 07:59

History and Prestige isn't exciting.

Passing and actual race action is. Monaco is past it's prime. It's only made out to be a big deal by the media and the celebrity factor. It's just another race.

cosmicpanda
29th May 2007, 08:09
Monaco, and it is the most unique track in F1. If you build a new one, widen it, make the straights longer, tighten the turns - how would it be ANY different from any other circuits on the calendar?

Tighter than the Lowes hairpin? :eek:

Passing and actual race action is. Monaco is past it's prime. It's only made out to be a big deal by the media and the celebrity factor. It's just another race.

In that case, F1's past its prime as well, since there's no passing and "actual race action".

Cozzie
29th May 2007, 09:06
Monaco is the jewel in F1's crown. It can not go.

ArrowsFA1
29th May 2007, 09:14

Sorry -Helix- but your comments have depressed me this morning :(

George Santayana, the Spanish philosopher, once said: "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."and without an appreciation of the past I don't believe we can fully appreciate the present.

In my view, Monaco is far from "just another race". It is as Wimbledon is to tennis, or the Masters is to golf. It is the jewel in the crown of F1. I agree that for passing and race action it may not be the best race on the calendar, but it's not alone in that respect!

As for being "past it's prime", Phil Hill was saying it was an anachronism more than 40 years ago, so little changes :cool:

CarlMetro
29th May 2007, 09:16

Exactly.

Monaco has given us many great and memorable races over the years, sadly the extreme reliability of the modern F1 car, brought in by Parc Ferme rules and two race engines meant that mechanical failures did not happen. Couple that with aerodynamics which prevent two cars to be less than .5 of a second apart thus minimising the chance for cars to slipstream and overtake, lead to a very boring race.

Lets face it, Hamilton was never ever going to be allowed past Alonso, unless it meant someone else was going to win, we all saw Lewis's move sideways rather than forwards at the start of the race. That showed me that MacLaren were playing the team game, whether they admit it in public or not, not that I have a problem with that because it has shown over the years to bring results.

Until the FIA do something about driver aides such as Traction Control and reduce the effects of aerodynamic grip an F1 car can produce by removing all add-on aero devices, apart from front and rear wing, then I'm afraid we will continue to see the sport which we love so dearly become ever-more frustrating, boring and processional :(

Mark
29th May 2007, 09:19
Must we have this same thread every year, "Ditch Monaco" is always the cry in May. But lets face it, the race this year was no better or worse than the majority of the races at other tracks.

F1boat
29th May 2007, 09:24
Definetly. Last year Monaco had more overtaking than Barcelona, for example.

Big Ben
29th May 2007, 09:43

Yeah... everybody wants speed and overtaking etc. etc. but as some one said: itīs not the track! how many interesting race have you seen lately? itīs the same thing almost everywhere! itīs like a rule... the guy that gets first to the first corner wins the race.
I begin to think that innovation and overtaking donīt go so well togheter. Itīs FIA and innovation that brought f1 here. Iīd blame more FIA because their rules are pushing the innovation into that direction.

Valve Bounce
29th May 2007, 09:49
Well, if we banned all on board computers, all winglets, reduced the angle of the rear wings to horizontal, and reduced the front wings to one element, would that help? Maybe we'd see a lot more overtaking.

aryan
29th May 2007, 10:53
Mods can we have a poll please?
(You know I love them pino :D it gives me a general idea of what the forum thinks on a matter)

Should the Monaco GP be ditched from F!?
Yes
No

Thanks pino! :)

F1boat
29th May 2007, 14:43
Well, if we banned all on board computers, all winglets, reduced the angle of the rear wings to horizontal, and reduced the front wings to one element, would that help? Maybe we'd see a lot more overtaking.

On the other hand, I don't want F1 to be reduced to Champ Car racing. Compromise should be found.

millencolin
29th May 2007, 15:36
OK!! so here's an idea: why not run Aussi V8's at Monaco?

remember canberra? yikes i dont think a v8 will make it through the hairpin

anyways, monaco is about prestigue... so why contemplate having the 'bogan-mobiles' racing there :p :

i just cant comprehend an f1 without monaco! its such an important event. it always throws up drama and controversy... Monaco is the heart and soul of F1! the extrodinary wealth, the beauty of the surroundings... to me that just screams Formula One... and with a track drenched in such history, how can you ignore it!

Roamy
29th May 2007, 15:47
you don't valve you have the biggest vintage car race and auction etc and then go up the hill and race on a real track.

Roamy
29th May 2007, 15:50
On the other hand, I don't want F1 to be reduced to Champ Car racing. Compromise should be found.

reduced?? I would think seeing all of the current drivers in F1 driving Champ Cars would be far more exciting than the current state of F1.

wedge
29th May 2007, 15:57
Monaco is a unique challenge. It's the one race where lack of overtaking is forgiven.

Driving on the limit for 78laps, nearly 2hrs, just brushing the barriers and 1 mistake will cost you the race.

Nelson Piquet said driving Monaco is like riding a bike inside a bathtub.

Its' also one of the rare occasions where Ayrton Senna admitted to himself that he was a mere mortal. It was during qualy in 1989 where he famously said he was in a 'zone' or a 'higher state of conscienceless'. He had to quickly get out of the car because he was mentally and physically sick by the very thought!

N. Jones
29th May 2007, 17:04
The races in 05 & 06 were better/more exciting/thrilling/whatever you consider a good race than this year's I agree.

But remove it from the calender? Preposterous!!
As other people have mentioned the problem is not the track but the cars!

kalasend
29th May 2007, 21:35
Boring? No different to any other race this season then :rolleyes:

You got to be kidding. How is this Monaco GP compare to the ones before it? Even though there is lack of fighting in the front after the opening laps, the midfield battles have been great to watch.

Was Sunday's race boring? YES. Should Monaco go? NO, at least we can expect rain...or FOM can choose to host the event during rain season

LTalbot
29th May 2007, 22:38
Sometimes Monaco seems like F1's annual parade, but it's still the most exciting parade on the planet. The race had moments, especially those watching Hamilton slide through several corners on edge. Before I die, I only wish to see a Monaco race in person. F1 never should, or will continue without it. Perhaps next year without traction control, the F1 race will be exciting as the GP2 race was.

Zsolt
29th May 2007, 22:43
I agree that this year's race was boring but it's only one year. I think some people should look at the big picture, Monaco has been & always will be a premiere attraction whether there is a lot of overtaking or not.

What the hell was up w/Ferrari???

El Sween
29th May 2007, 23:33
Great rid of Monaco and you may as well scrap F1.

555-04Q2
30th May 2007, 09:32

100% Agree :up: Sort out the bloody cars.

jas123f1
30th May 2007, 10:23
After watching the Monaco GP I have to say that it has become as boring as ever. I don't have anything against Monaco. It's their track. I know how historical it is, I know how prestigeous it is and how beautiful the sight of the water is BUT there is a major component that does not work: PASSING IS IMPOSSIBLE DUE TO LACK OF SPACE.

I must say you are right. Monaco is very spicily race (if you can call it to a race?) and sure it's boring to them whom don't see what's happening around and count whole weekend as a "race weekend".

Thursday 24th May:

07:00 TRACK CLOSED
09:00 - 09:30 GP2 - FIRST PRACTICE SESSION
10:00 - 11:30 FORMULA ONE - FIRST PRACTICE
14:00 - 15:30 FORMULA ONE - SECOND PRACTICE
16:00 - 16:40 FORMULA RENAULT 3.5 - PRACTICE SESSION
17:10 - 17:55 PORSCHE SUPER CUP - PRACTICE SESSION
18:30 TRACK OPEN

Friday 25th May
09:00 - 09:30 GP2 - SECOND PRACTICE
10:00 - 10:30 GP2 - QUALIFYING
11:30 - 12:15 PORSCHE SUPER CUP - QUALIFYING SESSION
13:00 TRACK OPEN

Saturday 26th May
06:00 TRACK CLOSED
09:00 - 09:25 FORMULA RENAULT 3.5 - QUALIFYING SESSION (JNr)
09:30 - 09:55 FORMULA RENAULT 3.5 - QUALIFYING SESSION (ONr)
11:00 - 12:00 FORMULA ONE - THIRD PRACTICE SESSION
14:00 - 15:00FORMULA ONE - QUALIFYING SESSION
16:00 - 17:GP2 - RACE (45 laps or 75 mins)
18:00 TRACK OPEN

Sunday 27th May
09:30 - 10:00 PORSCHE SUPERCUP - RACE (16 laps ou 30 mins)
11:00 - 11:45 FORMULA RENAULT 3.5 – RACE 25 laps or 45 mins)
12:30 FORMULA 1 - DRIVERS’ TRACK PARADE
14:00 FORMULA 1 - GRAND PRIX (78 laps)
19:00 TRACK OPEN.

:)

Valve Bounce
30th May 2007, 10:36
You forgot the parties on those fabulous yachts. :p :

Racehound
30th May 2007, 12:07
This year was boring n I almost fell asleep but I dont think the last couple have been bad at all. If they dropped it many sponsors would probably leave the sport n at a time when finding sponsership in motorsport is difficult it wouldnt be the best idea.
EXACTLY!!!!!!!!........and thats all monaco is about now!!!!!!...just a public sales pitch for the toxic midget and his wife and daughters to flout their wealth and looks in the various fashion shows and functions that take place in monaco all under the guise that we are there for a "RACE"?????....all the poncy farts and knobheads and the attention seekers of this pathetic planet all turn out for monaco for the "glamour"!!!!!!!......you dont see them in such numbers at any of the other circuits where they`re not the centre of attention......and the little poison pixie strolls around with his wife half a metre taller than him lookin just ridiculous!!!!!.....(i wish i could swear while i write coz im good at that and it gives my writing some fluidity with a few expletives dotted about, but seeing this is public i`ll refrain),,,,,,monaco will not come under the severe scrutiny that it should be facing now until we have a major accident and there are deaths involving either drivers or members of the public or both!!!!!!!!!!!!!......every year is basically a proccession as far as on-track action is concerned, and we stilll call it a "race"???????!!!!!!!........monaco is no more or less a weekend of time-trials for the teams whose best perfomances take place on the Saturday during Qualy..........the race itself we watch only for the unexpected to happen , as the order of the cars on the grid is near enough the order they finis in at the front end...........but it seems a lot of ppl have a fascination for the morbid and it is secretly feared every year that something awful could happen, and thats another part of the appeal of this rolling sales convention!!!!!....with ecclestone globetrotting the planet loooking for more and more places to have tracks built and governments to fund his private dream for f1, he bleats on about safety and raising the spectacle but fails to look retrospectively at monaco and see the dangers that are staring him in the face!!!!!!!!!!......i love the race but see the venue is no longer capable of hosting the real spectacle that everyone is there to see; an actual real road-race!!!!!!oh well ...what do we know???.........valencia is gonna be REALLY interesting when we get there!!!

BeansBeansBeans
30th May 2007, 12:38
It doesn't bother me if it stays or goes, but it's fair to say that's it's still the most important race of the year from a commercial point of view. If F1 stopped visiting Monaco, they'd have form a spin-off series like the IRL. The Monte Carlo Racing League, or something.

BDunnell
30th May 2007, 12:48
I wouldn't want it to be removed from the calendar in favour of another Tilke effort. I'm able to forgive the lack of passing to some extent, even though Olivier Panis proved that you can overtake around Monaco!

However, I do think that some of the magic of Monaco as a location for F1 has diminished as the place has become uglier over the years. Compare photos or film of Monaco now with photos or film from the 1960s or earlier and you'll see what I mean.

jas123f1
30th May 2007, 13:58
You forgot the parties on those fabulous yachts. :p :

And i think one them is Kimis, ;) he goes in there every time he have to retire (of race or quali doesn't matter) and try to calm down.. :D