PDA

View Full Version : Little Johnny Hopper and Team Green?

Mach24
27th May 2007, 09:08
Word on the street has Hopper making the move to Kawasaki in 08'.

Hopper has an eye on the future and see's himself as a clear number 1 at the big K.

Recently even Kawasaki themselves have come out to say they have the bike but not the rider.

Jeremy Burgess of Rossi and Doohan team management fame has the same opinion of the Green machine.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/59081

Sounds like a smart move on Hopper's behalf, but something tells me he will stay put and someone else may make the move?

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/59064

jim mcglinchey
27th May 2007, 11:47
Its a bit early for the who-will-be-going-where rumours but the contracts of both Hopper and Chris are up for renewal at the end of this season. I couldnt see John making the leap to Kwak on the promise of better machinery because the Suzuki team gotta be well pleased with their new bikes performance. There is of course the small matter of money and position in the team and maybe that would tempt Hopper away....Id hate to see it though.

Mach24
27th May 2007, 12:17
Its a bit early for the who-will-be-going-where rumours but the contracts of both Hopper and Chris are up for renewal at the end of this season. I couldnt see John making the leap to Kwak on the promise of better machinery because the Suzuki team gotta be well pleased with their new bikes performance. There is of course the small matter of money and position in the team and maybe that would tempt Hopper away....Id hate to see it though.

Are you suggesting Chris V is equal to Hopper? If not rated ahead?

jim mcglinchey
27th May 2007, 12:34
If Chris outperforms Hopper this year then, even though he has alot more GP experience, Hopper may feel that he's not the #1 rider at Suzuki.

Mach24
27th May 2007, 12:44
Interesting times ahead at Suzuki MotoGP. I think it is fair to say Hopper has out performed CV in dry conditions since season start.

CV wins a landmark race for the brand and the news comes that Hopper is on the prowl. I am sure there is no coincidence and Hopper is just doing what any rider would do.

CV is perhaps not the most gifted rider but he gives his all and endears himself to every team he works with.

maxu05
27th May 2007, 15:44
I don't think Hopper going to the Green Machine would be a bad move at all. The Kwaka's are starting to become competitive. I think Shinya Nakano should be kicking himself right now, as I believe if he had stayed there, he would have had a podium by now, and be in the hunt for a top 5 in the championship. CV shined in the wet, but, lets see how the rest of the year pans out. Chris is a talented rider no doubt, but, it was also a race that saw a Kawasaki leading, then a Dunlop shod bike leading. I think it was Chris's day. I hope he does get on and get more podiums though.

NinjaMaster
28th May 2007, 11:09
I would be rapt if Hopkins came to Team Green but I can't see it happening. He turned down a Ducati offer to stay with Zook and now that they are finally delivering on their promise of a competitive bike, it seems crazy for him to leave. Also, CV would be a lot closer had he had a little bit more luck in some of the dry races where circumstance has held him back.

kiwigav
29th May 2007, 12:35
How about Max Biaggi on the Kawi?

fatman
29th May 2007, 15:03
I guess i don't really know how much pull a sponsor has over who John will ride with, but after the strong start Suzuki has had this season I cant see any reason for moving. Sure the Kawa is also looking strong but why abandon a project after you've poured so much sweat into it.

I will also add (even if OT) if Burgess and everyone feel that the Kawa is a awesome bike, what does this say about OJ and Randy.

ArmchairBikeFan
29th May 2007, 15:29
I think it says that OJ is past his best, and Randy could highside a paddock scooter at 5mph if he wasn't careful.
Shinya will be thinking, "Looks like I picked the wrong year to stop sniffing glue."

maxu05
29th May 2007, 16:08
I think that Shinya made a boo boo by jumping on the Minolta Honda. If he was on the Kwak, he would be fighting for podiums IMO. OJ is never going to be a threat to the top riders, Randy has no idea, so Kawasaki has to go out and recruit some real riders for 2008. If they can hire a John Hopkins, or a rider of his talent, then, we will see the green machine start to fly.

The Phantom
29th May 2007, 17:52
I think it says that OJ is past his best, and Randy could highside a paddock scooter at 5mph if he wasn't careful.
Shinya will be thinking, "Looks like I picked the wrong year to stop sniffing glue."

LMAO! : ) MotoGP quote of the year contender

tha_jackal
30th May 2007, 09:40
Minolta Honda seem to be a cursed team who keep signing Japanese riders who can only go hard on 'Stones. They just need to sign a young, up and coming rider from the 250s like DeAngelis, Bautista, Kallio etc...

RaikkonenRules
1st June 2007, 22:57
Hoppa shoul saty at Suzuki they are claerly improving while Kawaski seem to have the worst bike out of the manufacturers.

kiwigav
4th June 2007, 06:48
One area where the Hopkins to Kawasaki story makes alot of sense is with Hopkins energy drink sponser, Monster. Now Monster happen to sponser the American factory Kawasaki effort, so an American racing in MotoGP, on a Kawasaki, would seem quite appealing now, doesnt it? Monster are hoping to topple Red Bull, maybe they will back the Kawasaki MotoGP team as well, especially if Hopkins signs with them!

Mach24
4th June 2007, 11:55
Apparently Melandri is in the Team Green picture as well!

NinjaMaster
5th June 2007, 10:34
One area where the Hopkins to Kawasaki story makes alot of sense is with Hopkins energy drink sponser, Monster. Now Monster happen to sponser the American factory Kawasaki effort, so an American racing in MotoGP, on a Kawasaki, would seem quite appealing now, doesnt it? Monster are hoping to topple Red Bull, maybe they will back the Kawasaki MotoGP team as well, especially if Hopkins signs with them!
That is spot on Gav. Apparently the whole thing was instigated by Monster but it remains to be seen if anything actually happens. I am really hoping it does because I reckon the Monster Kwaks in the AMA are the best looking race bikes I've ever seen. We'd also get to find out just how good the Green team's MotoGP bikes really are.
I'd be pretty happy with a Hopkins/Melandri Monster Kawasaki lineup in 2008. Come on, make it happen!

Corny
5th June 2007, 11:27
what is Monster BTW?

neninja
5th June 2007, 11:32
I rate Hopper as one of the top 5 riders on MotoGP. I just hope he doesn't end up having to ride a nail. Kawasaki are the smallest Japanese manufacturer and always seem to lag a couple of years behind in GP bike development.

I'd rather see him stay at Suzuki or get Capirossi's seat at Ducati. (It pains me to say that as I ride a Kwak and would love to see them do well)

Mach24
5th June 2007, 12:10
what is Monster BTW?

An energy drink ala Red Bull

NinjaMaster
5th June 2007, 13:14
I rate Hopper as one of the top 5 riders on MotoGP. I just hope he doesn't end up having to ride a nail. Kawasaki are the smallest Japanese manufacturer and always seem to lag a couple of years behind in GP bike development.

I'd rather see him stay at Suzuki or get Capirossi's seat at Ducati. (It pains me to say that as I ride a Kwak and would love to see them do well)
Hey what do you ride Neninja? I love the green machines.

I know what you mean about Kawasaki lagging behind in racing development. The ZX10R has always been real fast out of the box as witnessed by their winning Masterbike the last 3 years until this year. Their problem was always developing a decent race kit. I believe they have now set up a European based racing arm, similar to Honda and HRC so hopefully this will bear fruit as it appears to be with the supersport effort.

I really believe that the current ZX-RR is a good race bike without the personell to fully show it's potential. Even Shinya, as good as he is, I don't think he had the absolute racing desperation of someone like Hopkins to really push Kawasaki to be it's best. It looks to me like the new bike steers real well and it has had great top end all year. I hope Kawasaki can follow in Suzuki's footsteps and finally deliver on their promises of competitiveness, so long as they can get the right riders on board as well.

Allyc85
5th June 2007, 19:47
please dont go to Kawasaki Hopper, Suzuki are doing such a great job at the moment!

jim mcglinchey
6th June 2007, 00:02
My feelings too, at the mo' Suzook have a dream team.

neninja
7th June 2007, 11:22
Hey what do you ride Neninja? I love the green machines.

2003 ZX636R

Cracking bike once the suspension is properly sorted. I usually only keep bikes for 2 years and then change them but there really is nothing else that I'd rather ride at the moment. (Had a 2001 ZX6R before that)

Mach24
8th June 2007, 12:16
Word on the street has Hopper making the move to Kawasaki in 08'.

Hopper has an eye on the future and see's himself as a clear number 1 at the big K.

Recently even Kawasaki themselves have come out to say they have the bike but not the rider.

Jeremy Burgess of Rossi and Doohan team management fame has the same opinion of the Green machine.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/59081

Sounds like a smart move on Hopper's behalf, but something tells me he will stay put and someone else may make the move?

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/59064

My gut feel on Capirossi is growing legs. I gotta say I think Capirossi is now the wrong rider to take Kwaka to the top step..... Perhaps 5 years ago?

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/06062007/58/catalan-gp-kawasaki-chasing-capirossi.html

Lanky_Wes
17th June 2007, 14:41
im gonna be real disappointed if my man hopkins leaves suzuki. especially now that he has done the hard yards and stuck it out while suzuki were struggling. to leave now that suzuki appear to have turned the corner would be a shame. he is a great rider to watch and id be very disappointed to see him go elsewhere. i think suzuki have a good team going with he and chris the V, hopefully it stays that way.

Corny
17th June 2007, 15:43
maybe money will play a role in making his choice?

tha_jackal
17th June 2007, 16:29
maybe money will play a role in making his choice?

Money (Monster Energy) will be the ultimate deciding factor in the move..

NinjaMaster
18th June 2007, 12:48
My gut feel on Capirossi is growing legs. I gotta say I think Capirossi is now the wrong rider to take Kwaka to the top step..... Perhaps 5 years ago?

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/06062007/58/catalan-gp-kawasaki-chasing-capirossi.html

I agree that it appears more liekly than not that Loris will ride for team green next year. However, I reckon that he would be a fantastic aquisition for Kawasaki, especially if they could land Hopkins as well. Capirex is still fast and can develop a bike very well, perfect for Hopkins (and RdP?) to take advantage of.

Money (Monster Energy) will be the ultimate deciding factor in the move..

That is spot on. I think he would obey the will of Monster, especially if they up his contract and it appears that he wouldn't be moving to a slower bike, just to chase money.

osg
18th June 2007, 13:08
I agree that it appears more liekly than not that Loris will ride for team green next year. However, I reckon that he would be a fantastic aquisition for Kawasaki, especially if they could land Hopkins as well. Capirex is still fast and can develop a bike very well, perfect for Hopkins (and RdP?) to take advantage of.

That is spot on. I think he would obey the will of Monster, especially if they up his contract and it appears that he wouldn't be moving to a slower bike, just to chase money.

all valid points mach, jackal and ninja....... the corporate $ will be the major influence on Hopkins decision making. I personally think that the move to kawasaki is the right way to go for Hopkins... the bike is on the rise, as Burgess and other influential figures in the paddock have said..... whereas kawasaki considering Capirossi is just plain dumbass.

Capirex has 2 kids now and has more than once admitted this season that his focus has waned. I just can't see him riding at 100% to properly forward development into the ZX-RR.........

Another interesting conundrum all this rumor poses is....... who goes where once the first domino falls????

Exciting times with the silly season ahead peeps :eek: :p :

Mach24
22nd June 2007, 02:51

Crunch time:
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/60031

leopard
29th June 2007, 06:45
I'd prefer Hopper and the Redbull stay another year or more with Suzuki, give Suzi the better position before going to another team. I see they have the same challenge as the Kawasaki in every round, Suzuki might have slightly better consistency.

Ranger
29th June 2007, 10:37
What is it that's greener on the other side? :)

I can't help but feel that part of this speculation has to do with Hopkins' team-mate. Whilst Hopkins is a better qualifier and racer in general, whenever luck presents itself for a good result (ie in the rain), Vermeulen seems to fly past him. That must be frustrating, and as far as I'm concerned that's the reason that he is linked to a manufacturer which seems to just be a side-step, considering Suzuki at the moment is capable of podiums and a win (thus far).