PDA

View Full Version : Another Champ (Riis) admitted using drug...

pino
26th May 2007, 10:42
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/other_sports/cycling/6692779.stm

Everyone in Denmark is shocked and very disappointed by this news, none expected Bjarne cheated, not after his reaction towards his employeer at CSC, italian Basso...The italian was caught last year trying to dope himself, and a long ban is waiting for him. I am disguested by both, I used to love cycling and used to watch many races "live", it's over for me now...

donKey jote
26th May 2007, 10:51
I stopped watching cycling when Riis slaughtered Indurain in 1996 :dozey:

pino
26th May 2007, 10:55
I stopped watching cycling when Riis slaughtered Indurain in 1996 :dozey:

Easy amigo...Miguel could be next one to admit using drug ;)

donKey jote
26th May 2007, 11:03
Wouldn't surprise me at all - he retired "just in time", just before enhanced controls and all that.
That's the worst thing... the whole sport is in such disrepute, that it's hard to believe anyone at all was squeeky clean.

tinchote
27th May 2007, 05:41
Wouldn't surprise me at all - he retired "just in time", just before enhanced controls and all that.
That's the worst thing... the whole sport is in such disrepute, that it's hard to believe anyone at all was squeeky clean.

Of course, think about all those that won over the ones already admitting doping. Are they that better? I doubt it :s

janneppi
27th May 2007, 15:22
Riis and the other Telekom riders had little choice but to come clean, their old team doctors already spilled the beans week earlier. :)

BTW, does anyone know who the 150 non-cyclist were on the operation Puerta list?

eloyf1
27th May 2007, 15:39
Sorry, I have a doubt. I love cycling, but I don't know anything about anti-doping rules... EPO was illegal before 1998??? I ask it because as it was indetectable, I think people who admitted they took drugs can't lost their wins. Am I wrong??? Thanks

janneppi
27th May 2007, 16:12
As far as i know, Riis confessed to a time period that is expired as a crime as far as law is concerned. EPO has been banned since the early 1990's so it's no excuse.

eloyf1
27th May 2007, 16:24
As far as i know, Riis confessed to a time period that is expired as a crime as far as law is concerned. EPO has been banned since the early 1990's so it's no excuse.
OK, thanks

donKey jote
27th May 2007, 18:53
BTW, does anyone know who the 150 non-cyclist were on the operation Puerta list?

Italian footballers? :p :

jso1985
27th May 2007, 21:45
well this is definitely the end for cycling right? I doubt someone is going to take any event as something serious ever again.
big shame, the sport was quite interesting to watch

tinchote
28th May 2007, 00:52
I'm really curious about what happened with cycling that doping became so blatant. Because it's hard to imagine that there is no doping in most of the elite sports (just as a token, look at the biceps of todays sprinters, they are bigger than weightlifters from 30 years ago).

But then, why is it that we know of so many cases in cycling and not other disciplines? In other sports they seem to uncover a few cases now and then, but somehow they avoid the disrepute: thinking again about sprinters, we had the Greek athletes in the 04 olympics, we had Marion Jones and others in the USA team, and still somehow people don't seem to think that those who were not caught, although training with them and performing at the same level, were cheating?