PDA

View Full Version : Aprilia return

Mach24
25th May 2007, 23:18
http://www.crash.net/news_View~cid~5~id~148503.htm

Well Aprilia are planning on returning to the elite level of world championship roadracing with a confirmed re-entry in WSBK in 2009 and a possible return to MotoGP afterward.

This is great news for the sport and more so WSBK.

I am sure we will see several top line riders jostling for a ride at Aprilia WSBK.

Considering WSBK nearly died a horrible drawn out death just a few years back it is surging toward glory as we speak.

The next ingredient is to ensure the 'ordinary' riders are removed from plumb rides so we have a real depth in the entry list. It truly is time for WSBK to stand on its own two feet and distinguish itself from MotoGP.

The Phantom
26th May 2007, 12:07
So in WSB 2009 we will see:

Aprilia
Ducati*
Honda
Kawasaki
MV Agusta
Suzuki
Yamaha

Not a bad show of hands!

*assuming Ducati have not taken their bat and ball and gone home.

maxu05
26th May 2007, 16:03
I would not get your hopes too high just yet. They will field bikes, but will run at the back of the field for a year or two, then pull out and say how expensive it is to race, and it is not fair that the leading bikes/riders get all the tv exposure just because their bikes are competitive. Good luck to them if they can do it, but for now, same sh.t, different day :laugh:

jim mcglinchey
26th May 2007, 17:45
The forward thinking BSB organisers are in discussions with KTM about a 1200cc KTM twin racing, along with 1200cc Dooks, against 1000cc Jap fours in the '08 series. BSB is definitely allowing 1200cc twins, and it remains to be seen whether WSB follows their lead.

ChrisS
26th May 2007, 21:55
During the pre-race show of the Monza round there was an interview with someone from FGSport and from what he said World SBK is going to allow 1200cc and KTM looks set to join

As for Aprilia they were winning races within a year the last time they raced SBK I see no point why they cant do it again. Their new RSV will be 1200cc V-twin but it seems they have no intention to race it. They are developing a 1000cc V4 engine exclusively to race in SBK.

Mach24
26th May 2007, 23:07
Agreed ChrisS, I fail to see why Aprilia would invest millions of Euro into a racing program with a view to "run at the back of the field for a year or two, then pull out and say how expensive it is to race".

Aprilia see themselves as a serious player in the industry and take racing seriously, yes there will be a period of development where the bikes may not be at the pointy end each race, however the fact they are involved increases the Championships profile.

I also read with interest that Alstare are rumoured to be heading MotoGP in 08', the suggestion is this may simply be a rumour to halt progress with the 1200cc twin rule. Whilst I did not agree with the rule initially, it looks likely to be introduced, provided it is managed/controlled correctly it can work.

The Phantom
27th May 2007, 02:26
O/T, but the 1200cc rule will only work as well as the 750cc I4 vs. 1000cc v-twin rule worked. The Ducs will again be the bikes to beat, rather than one of many manufacturers in with a real shot at wins.

The V4 Aprilia may take some beating.

NinjaMaster
28th May 2007, 11:44
I really hope you're wrong Phantom and that FGSport can come up with rules that put enough restrictions on the new Duc to leave it competitive but not dominant.

Seeing all these manufacturers re/joining WSB is a really exciting time for WSB. I really hope that with a (hopefully) increased depth of machinery, we can really see a increase in rider quality as well, especially with an influx of young talent. To see the likes of Sofuoglu, Brookes, Neukirchner, Spies, Rea, Camier, Pirro, Roberts, etc get a chance on a factory bike would be sensational and so exciting. The future looks very bright indeed.

ChrisS
28th May 2007, 14:06
I really hope you're wrong Phantom and that FGSport can come up with rules that put enough restrictions on the new Duc to leave it competitive but not dominant.

Ducati's advantage will be torque IMHO, even with restrictions that will limit HP, Ducati will still have better torque that will give them a big advantage.

NinjaMaster
28th May 2007, 14:10
I would hope that could be countered by extra weight to make the tires wear as much as the multi's. That's the theory anyway. :)

kiwigav
29th May 2007, 11:38
2009? Whats holding them up? They've been rumoured to return for the last couple of years havent they? As has the V4 rumours, seem to been around for a while too.