PDA

View Full Version : TRD3 One Off INDY 500: Interest Check?

tannat
25th May 2007, 17:56
As it's another empty TRD3 weekedn with regards to the DTM and Supercar V8s, I was wondering if the crew would be interested in running the Indy 500 using the IRL cars under the 'Open Wheel' category (if anyone has unlocked it).

State your interest here. If there is enough interest I'll come up with some race parameters and we'll do it.

No worries. I'm thinking of a 50 lap race, so it wouldn't be too time consuming.

And default setups with the exception of gearing :D

johnny shell
25th May 2007, 18:36
I'm in. I recommend we get to change the downforce too.

johnny shell
25th May 2007, 18:37
not sure how many of the old worlders will want to do it though.

I think they'll be scared to run so fast so close to those concrete walls.

Brown, Jon Brow
25th May 2007, 18:49
I'm in :up: . I will show you yanks how to drive ;)

real_illusions
25th May 2007, 18:54
i'd probably get bored of going left and flat out all the time after 1 lap..maybe 2 if i resist the temptation to drive it into the walls trying to cause as much destruction and carnage as possible...and see if there is a message that comes up and says "game over- driver dead"

:)

chrisfinch
25th May 2007, 19:34
Count me in, 50 lpas inst too harsh

johnny shell
25th May 2007, 19:41
hence the challange, RI! to maintain complete focus under those conditions!

that's only 200 left turns in a row. you can do it.

Exhausted
25th May 2007, 20:27
a message that comes up and says "game over- driver dead"

:D quote of the day!

johnny shell
25th May 2007, 21:21
I also might reccommend starting from the back of the grid to spice things up a bit.... or whatever you want tannat!

maybe no restarts after the first lap?

just running 50 perfect laps at indy is hard enough.. maybe we don't need to spice it up at all

I won't be able to run the race 'till monday though on account of going to the real 500 sunday

maybe this will spice things up - to the winner of the race I will send an official ticket stub from this year's 500. it's a real pretty ticket that's 8 whole inches tall! (not sure what that is in euros. sorry!)

it's like the one below only different.

free shipping anywhere in the world (compliments of my employer)

harvick#1
25th May 2007, 21:33
I will try and run it :)

RaikkonenRules
25th May 2007, 22:15
Defonately in :) Nothing else on for me this weekend except GCSE study leave :(

tannat
25th May 2007, 23:37
Okay gang, here we go......

Feel free to post your entry as follows:

Car Number
Chassis: (Dallara or Panoz, I believe)
Sponsor/team name:

DIFFICULTY: Minimum of 90%
LAPS: 50
ALL DRIVING DEFAULTS ON EXCEPT PRO SIM!
PRACTICE: 20 LAPS OR 20 MINUTES (Whichever is specified)
QUALIFYING: 10 LAPS OR 10 MINUTES
PIT STOPS: MANADATORY (so you must take at least 1)
ALLOWED SETUP MODS: DOWNFORCE AND GEARING (NOTHING ELSE!)

Would love it if you could submit the following (this is asking alot though):

Qualifying time
Elapsed time at completion of lap 1
Elapsed time at completion of lap 10
Elapsed time at completion of lap 20
Elapsed time at completion of lap 30
Elapsed time at completion of lap 40
Elapsed time at completion of lap 49
Elapsed time at completion of lap 50
Lap(s) you made a pit stop
Any notable incidents

Please submit by Monday, 12 pm Hawaii time.
I'll attempt to do results at that time.

Milk for the winner :D

Tannat

harvick#1
26th May 2007, 02:20
that is asking alot, it would be cool, but at Indy, the S-F line is right before turn 1, you can really lose your spot when putting down laptimes

tannat
26th May 2007, 02:55
Okay gang, here we go......

Feel free to post your entry as follows:

Car Number
Chassis: (Dallara or Panoz, I believe)
Sponsor/team name:

DIFFICULTY: Minimum of 90%
LAPS: 50
ALL DRIVING DEFAULTS ON EXCEPT PRO SIM!
PRACTICE: 20 LAPS OR 20 MINUTES (Whichever is specified)
QUALIFYING: 10 LAPS OR 10 MINUTES
PIT STOPS: MANADATORY (so you must take at least 1)
ALLOWED SETUP MODS: DOWNFORCE AND GEARING (NOTHING ELSE!)

Would love it if you could submit the following (this is asking alot though):

Qualifying time
Elapsed time at completion of lap 50
Lap(s) you made a pit stop
Any notable incidents

Please submit by Monday, 12 pm Hawaii time.
I'll attempt to do results at that time.

Milk for the winner :D

Tannat

Change it to the above. You'd be doing more writing than racing in the previous iteration...

harvick#1
26th May 2007, 04:39
heres hoping I will do it tomorrow :beer:

RaikkonenRules
26th May 2007, 11:17
#8 RaikkonenRules
Dallara
Team Triple R

johnny shell
26th May 2007, 16:07
Dallara
Kentucky Fried Racing

and I see some stategy will come into play - namely, what difficulty to put the opposition at. make it too easy & you'll come up on them too fast in the corners.... set it too high and you won't be able to pass them!

oh yeah - and along with the ticket stub I'll send the winner the story that goes along with it. there's usually a good one :)

RALLY TEAM GB
26th May 2007, 16:44
#45 steve spackman
dallara
sk performance racing

harvick#1
26th May 2007, 19:00
Dallara
Spike Motorsports

RaikkonenRules
26th May 2007, 19:16
Sent in my times. Got held up by three side by side backmarkers on Lap 37. Almost ran into them. :mad:

tannat
27th May 2007, 13:42
I'll buck the trend and drive a Panoz-G Force

Panoz-G Force
Bonny Doon Vineyards :D

tannat
27th May 2007, 17:43
Finished our race...

This potentially could be the tightest race in forum history. I feel confident we'll all be pretty close in lap times. Amazing how just a slight variance in your line could lose you 2/10ths of a second per lap!

tannat
28th May 2007, 13:26
Only 2 times thus far...... :(

johnny shell
28th May 2007, 18:53
I'll have mine in this evening, about 10 pm new york time. I'm not sure when that is Hawaii time buy it's as soon as I can get them in!

and I think you're right tannat - that's one of the challanging things about this kind of racing - the slightest little thing makes all the difference in the world!

Brown, Jon Brow
28th May 2007, 19:46
Yeah, and a Brit has to show you how to do it :laugh: If Hamilton had won yesterday then the winner of the two most glamorous races (Indy500 & Monaco) would come from this 'small' land. God save the Queen! :o

tannat
28th May 2007, 21:32
Yeah, and a Brit has to show you how to do it :laugh: If Hamilton had won yesterday then the winner of the two most glamorous races (Indy500 & Monaco) would come from this 'small' land. God save the Queen! :o

Small land indeed, but probably the most concentrated per square kilometer of motorsports associated tracks, schools businesses etc of anywhere in the world..

Where are your times, Mr Brown? :D

harvick#1
29th May 2007, 03:26
sorry I've been busy :(

johnny shell
29th May 2007, 04:14
what a bitch! no downforce was fast but made traffic a bear! had to restart due to terminal damage. more than once. complete report in the a.m.

johnny shell
29th May 2007, 14:22
I set the AI to 110%, hoping they would be fast enough to run with my zero downforce (well, 50% DF) Dallara, knowing that these cars are much much faster in packs than they are alone.

I set my 5th gear to me my "running alone" gear... the rev limiter would hit just as I was entering the corner on a good lap. when I was running in traffic, I would shift to 6th gear, which was set just a weee bit taller to allow for the extra speed running in the draft gives you.

I've heard talk about what it's like to run in traffic at indy, know I "know". the first 25 laps of the race were usually incident free. sometimes I would brush the wall coming out of a corner, just like the real drivers sometimes do, but usually it would only slow me down a bit - no permanant damage.

but usually after the pit stop, at lap 25, things would get interesting. low fuel meant faster laps. lots of traffic meant faster laps. and with no downforce, I lost it in traffic, ruined the car, & had to restart more than once.

when I finially got a clean run in I thought I would give it another try in a Panoz, just for fun. the car seemed to be a bit quicker, but was more skiddish - I lost it running all alone a couple times, then in traffic the other times.

I never got a whole race in the Panoz in race in before I had to call it a night.

tannat
29th May 2007, 16:27
What was your max speed in 5th and 6th, JS?

Waiting on 1 set of times (Mr Brown.......)

johnny shell
29th May 2007, 16:36
I think I had 5th at like .91 and it would max out around 250? and 6th was at .96 I think and would hit real close to 260... maybe more, when it got to those speeds I didn't take my eyes off the corner turn-in points!

laps by myself were in the 37.40 range.

I knew cars ahead of me would give me "a tow" but what surprised me was how much having a car behind me would also pick up the rpm's. that where I think having the AI at 110% helped.

although I could have lapped a lot more cars and gotten a lot more tows with the AI set to, say, 90%. that was a tough call.

johnny shell
29th May 2007, 16:38
coming out of 2 and 4 on a good lap I was at 236 right as I almost hit the wall.

on an average lap is was 233 coming out of 2 & 4.

hit 240-241 in the short shoots between 1 & 2 and 3 & 4.

Brown, Jon Brow
29th May 2007, 17:01
Done my race, now we play the waiting game ;)

tannat
29th May 2007, 17:53
I think I had 5th at like .91 and it would max out around 250? and 6th was at .96 I think and would hit real close to 260... maybe more, when it got to those speeds I didn't take my eyes off the corner turn-in points!

laps by myself were in the 37.40 range.

I knew cars ahead of me would give me "a tow" but what surprised me was how much having a car behind me would also pick up the rpm's. that where I think having the AI at 110% helped.

although I could have lapped a lot more cars and gotten a lot more tows with the AI set to, say, 90%. that was a tough call.

I feel like an idiot...

I used the speed refernce in the gearing setup to choose my gears. Can't recall what they were, but for the best max speed my gear numbers were far below what you used. I was riding the rev limiter at 245 down all the straights.

What use are those numbers if they are irrelevant?

Did my race at 90%, and lapped in the 37.67+ range (37.5+ with tows).

At 105% I was in the 37.27 range without tows and same gearing.

Results within 3 hours...

harvick#1
29th May 2007, 18:16
I was lapping in the 37.30's but didn't have time to run a 50 lap race, I got it down to 37.15's in Qualifing run with low fuel

tannat
29th May 2007, 19:29
Fairly dominant showing by the #8 Dallara of Kentucky Fried Racing with Johnny Shell finishing 20 seconds ahead of his nearest rival. Englander Jon Brown finished 2nd in another Dallara, with the #13 Bonny Doon Vineyards Panoz G Force of Tannat rounding out the podium. 4th went to the #8 Dallara of RaikRules from Team Triple R, 5th to Steve Spackman of SK Performance Racing. The #33 Dallara of harvick#1 did not finish after losing control of his car while admiring Indy 500 rookee Milka Duno :p

P---#---Driver------------Overall--------Q----------FL

1--#82--JohnnyShell------32:01.83-----37.09------35.61
2--#00--JonBrown--------32.22.56-----37.36------36.61
3--#13--Tannat----------32.24.80-----37.62------37.48
4--#8---RaikRules---------34.12.82----38.81------37.77
5--#45--SteveSpackman--35.41.15----40.73------39.54
dnf------harvick#1------------------- -37.30------37.15

Be on the lookout for a NASCAR one of the week of July 4th ;)

Brown, Jon Brow
29th May 2007, 21:29
Johnny you nutter that stupidly fast. Maybe I need to use your gearing.

My excuse is that I got dizzy going around a track anti-clockwise. ;) We don't do that in this sensible country.

(We get our kicks from driving on the left side of the road.)

harvick#1
30th May 2007, 12:53
man I had the field covered then :(

RaikkonenRules
30th May 2007, 15:16
JS how on earth did you get 260mph. :eek: And how on earth did I lose 2 minutes. :(

johnny shell
30th May 2007, 15:23
1) set 6th gear way higher than you think you'll ever use then set 5th gear for your 'normal' race gear.
2) take out all the downforce.
3) set the AI to 110% and look for a pack of cars to run with - you want someone ahead AND behind you.
4) never NEVER lift the throttle! it when you lift even for a second it takes at least a half a lap to recover.

I've been going to Indy since before some of you were born. I had a lot of fun running this race. it puts it in a whole different perspective.