PDA

View Full Version : Spirit of Adventure

Duane
25th May 2007, 12:32
As you may know we have 7 V8's going to Abingdon this weekend, hopefully some of you can make it but if you can not then all is not lost.

we have been reliably informed that coverage is on SKY 173 on open all access ch 2, at the moment it is showing previews for both day's, we are told that it will be shown live both days with wall to wall coverage !!!!

if so we are due out around 1pm both days with a 50 minuite slot to fill, we just hope the weather will not be as bad as pridicted for sunday.
it has also been muted that we are to close the show after the red arrows have done thier display.

Duane

LessThanSte
25th May 2007, 12:45
Does anyone have a timetable for the event? Just been looking at the site and they dont appear to have much information. I'd kinda like to know whats on (and when!) if we decide to go!?!?!

Duane
25th May 2007, 12:58
as i understand,its not a normal airshow, big screens have been erected and a film will be shown on them with the crowd interacting by text to choose which way the day goes, all i know for sure is that the day starts at 10am and finishes at 6pm with us on at 1pm then The Red arrows, us and a RAF hot air ballon to close the show..........Tractor-boy is there already and informs me its a Huge event, so thats all i know, hope it helps.

Duane

racing59
25th May 2007, 19:06
Anyone got a tanker for my fuel!! 50 minutes. Blimey endurance posing.

Reynard
25th May 2007, 22:10
Blimey endurance posing.

That's nothing, Rob! :laugh: I'm at Snet this weekend for the Tin Snails 24 hour race - now that's what *I* call endurance... :rolleyes:

Anyways, best of luck at the show folks, hope y'all get the publicity and interest you're hoping for.

Tiesse
25th May 2007, 23:33
Does anyone have a timetable for the event? Just been looking at the site and they dont appear to have much information. I'd kinda like to know whats on (and when!) if we decide to go!?!?!

Where's your Spirit of Adventure?

racing59
26th May 2007, 07:03
http://www.spiritofadventure.info says whats on, but not much about when it's on.

See you all there!

Tiesse
27th May 2007, 01:20
We were in the area on Saturday & got as far as the car park when we found it was £5 for the car (which we paid) & £110 for 4 adults & a 6 year old. This was as we could hear the demo on the runway by the guys (Tony Hurdle & John Steward were also there).

We decided that the price was too much & went onto Blenheim Palace. From what we did hear & see in the programme, the series was well promoted at the event.

JDPower
27th May 2007, 02:42
Having recorded it and just watched it, it looked pretty crap TBH. Seemed to basically consist of watching the same 3-4 planes circling whilst cutting to cut scenes and having a commentator unenthusiastically telling a poor story (not very well). Didn't seem to be many people there either.

The SCSA cars were clearly quite restricted in what they could do in terms of space so basically just circled for a bit and did some drag races. Poor new boy Kev Borland spun twice, once on a warm up lap (though AFAIK he's not a race driver, could be wrong though). Dunno how close the audience were but it didn't look like they could see much of the cars (long grass etc at sides of runway), sure they could see Colin light the doughnut afterburners at the end though :cheese:
Was a little disappointed with whoever was representing the SCSA in the commentary box when he mentioned the pickups and wasn't particularly complimentary :\

Tiesse
27th May 2007, 07:32
Youre right, there weren't many there. Before leaving to go elsewhere, we had a chat with one of the security team & he said that they were expecting to be over run with people & thr e reality was that it was a disapointing turnout.

As far as the guys cars were concerned, from the cheapseats (outside) we could see the tops pf the cars as they went along the runway.

However, despite the small turnout. any publicity is good publicity.

EarWig
27th May 2007, 12:30
Having just returned from a very wet and windy Abingdon Airfield let me try to put the record straight.

Tiesse - thank you for at least trying to join us there - the tickets were £25.00 per person + £5.00 car parking. I am not certain if prices were published on the RAF web site but it would have been good to meet you.

According to my information The Spirit of Adventure weekend was advertised on radio, TV and the press and on most public transport on the Oxfordshire/Berkshire area. You cannot force people to go to an air show, in fact a number of local people talked to me about the huge media coverage the show had been given.

The show organisers expected the biggest crowds to arrive today (Sunday 27th) but due to very bad weather the show had to be cancelled (Ticket refund information at http://www.spiritofadventure.info/)

For those people involved in the weekend well done to all, especially Richard Smith the organiser of Spirit of Adventure who worked tirelessly all week to ensure the MAC TOOLS V8 Trophy cars and their supporters were looked after from the moment we arrived, to the RAF for their friendliness and help, to Kevin Borland who stepped into the 99 car due to Chris Robinson being unavailable, and especially to (Lee) Tractor Boy who made 2 full journeys from Corby to Abingdon on Thursday night to collect the 98 and the 31 cars.
Having started loading at Corby around 6pm he eventually finished at 3.15 am Friday morning. Now that's what I call dedication to the series!

As a BIG thank you for his support during the last year and at this show, Team Networking's Duncan and Jo Gray, myself and my wife Sally, offered Lee the opportunity to drive the No 31 car on Saturday.
We managed to "borrow" a set of racing overalls from Colin White and Lee did us proud! Thanks to "Squirty" for looking after Lee and the 31 car.

For those of you weren't able to make it let me say this:

Those involved managed to get 7 cars to this event, all at our own expense.
CWS Racing the RAF and The Spirit of Adventure cars
Rob Compton, Team Air Ambulance
John Steward, Crimestoppers
Revolution Racing, cars 99, 98 and 31

During the morning aerobatics and the awesome RAF Typhoon display (you had to be there to appreciate what this aeroplane really can do) there were a large number of spectators all over the huge ground, which featured many aspects of the RAF, a very large funfair, together with an assortment of various virtual rides, RAF displays and vehicles.
When the commentary team announced the SCSA cars were available to view, we were surrounded by a large, eager and inquisitive crowd, some of whom will be joining us at Rockingham in the future.
When the time came for us to go out on our demonstration laps on Saturday, nearly all the spectators made their way to the barriers alongside the runway. (The runway was 1-1/2 miles long and the spectator area covered approximately 1/2 mile)

We were enthusiastically supported, and again many of the spectators visited the SCSA area after the main show. Such was the success of our demonstration run, we were asked by the RAF/Spirit of Adventure team to return to the runway, just before the main event at 2pm, for a second short 5-10 minute demonstration.

Well done to everyone, it was a great pity that the event fell foul of the weather today and the expected larger crowds were robbed of a great day out
It is also a shame that a member of this forum deemed to write a report (personal view or otherwise) about an event they didn't attend
You are right Tiesse, we need as much exposure and marketing as we can get and this is I believe is just the start.
If Saturday gets a few more people through the gates at Rockingham, and the charities supporting the cars get more income, then this can only be a good for the series.

Tractor Boy - you were a credit to yourself, Team Networking and SCSA!

See you all in June

Ray

Tony Hurdle
27th May 2007, 13:45
Well done Ray,

I was going to put something on here about how well Saturday went and the response SCSA received from those present but I think you covered it all. Lee did a quality job in both getting the cars there and then driving them. Top marks to him for having the bottle to give it a go.

We gave the best show we could with the space we had to play with. Plenty of V8 grunt and noise fired towards the crowd is the best attention grabber there is and as Ray says, when we fired up the engines everyone came to look.

The cars attracted loads of interest in the paddock, with a lot of people looking to come to June's event. They were also very impressed with the charity links and ticket deals.

It's a real shame today was cancelled but all in all a good promotional exercise for SCSA and we'll see what happens at the end of June.

EarWig
27th May 2007, 17:07
Thanks Tony

A few images from 26th May 2007

http://www.teamnetworking.co.uk/spiritofadventure.shtml

Regards
Ray

turn 4 mad
27th May 2007, 19:16
[quote="Tony Hurdle"]Well done Ray,

I was going to put something on here about how well Saturday went and the response SCSA received from those present but I think you covered it all. Lee did a quality job in both getting the cars there and then driving them. Top marks to him for having the bottle to give it a go.

didnt he beat you tony!!!

turn 4 mad
27th May 2007, 19:18
That tracor boy looks quite a hansome chap in them race overals-may be he should take over the 31 car!

Tony Hurdle
27th May 2007, 20:34
didnt he beat you tony!!!

Yup.

Duane
27th May 2007, 21:45
I ust say that i did have some mixed feelings on the weekend but Richard Smith has been helping me so much over the winter that it was the least we could do for him.

apparently saturday night at the RAF top brasses hotel all they were talking about was the Typhoon and our MAC-TOOLS V8 Trophy cars, the show has a 10 year contract and will be getting bigger, with our cars wanted back next year...........without the weather !!!!!!

it was also live on sky, Tractors mum watched with pride i hear.........

Duane

racing59
27th May 2007, 21:48
He beat me, but then again, I have an excuse.

I broke the car.

Still, better it break there, than at the Rock.

turn 4 mad
27th May 2007, 22:04
He beat me, but then again, I have an excuse.

I broke the car.

Still, better it break there, than at the Rock.

Well done tractor, not only did you beat the "real drivers" you never broke the car.
does anyone have any news on that kev boldhead bloke (is that his name)?in the 99 car does he drive? doeshe have a budget? i hear he looks after the greens at the parks-PLEASE KEP OFF THE GRASS.

LessThanSte
27th May 2007, 23:50
So what was the 'display' then? Was it meant to be some kind of mock-race type thing, driving around cones or something, or just general pratting around?

Perhaps if its done againnext year you could sort out a race on the runways and have some prizes?

BTW, i assume RAF Typhoon is a Eurofighter? Best jet aircraft in the world as far as im concerned, one hell of a sight to behold!

english4ever
28th May 2007, 15:37
The show was a good day out, Thank you sooooooo much to Ray, Sally, Duncan and Jo for letting me loose in the 31 car it was brilliant. An especially big thank you to Kev who came with me on my first trip with the 99 car and for lending me his Truck to pull the trailer with wihtout that there would of only been one car there!! Cheers for Squirty for strapping me in and looking after me not only that he's the best Tent builder i have ever seen!! And thankyou for Colin, John, Hunter, Tony and Rob for trusting me driving out there with them.

Tractor.

OAGEY
28th May 2007, 15:49
Guys
please remember that for less than a third of the admission cost of this weekend's SofA at Abingdon,
you could have had a much better day out at the same location three weeks ago for the 8th Abingdon Air & Country Show in support of the Thames Valley & Chiltern Air Ambulance.
Vintage/classic vehicles are an integral part of this event and the respective contact details for each section of our event are on our web-site www.abingdonfayre.com (http://www.abingdonfayre.com)

see you all on May 4th 2008 for the 9th Abingdon Air & Country Show

Colin
Press/PR/Sponsorship Officer
Abingdon Air & Country Show
www.abingdonfayre.com (http://www.abingdonfayre.com)

Oxfordshire's ONLY airshow to run successfully without a gap throughout the 21st Cenntury

squirty
28th May 2007, 17:07
Cheers for Squirty for strapping me in and looking after me not only that he's the best Tent builder i have ever seen!!

You're more than welcome! You did a cracking job and brought the car (and yourself) home in one peice and that's all we asked of you....

Shame about the rain yesterday though....

JDPower
30th May 2007, 03:00
It is also a shame that a member of this forum deemed to write a report (personal view or otherwise) about an event they didn't attend
Its a public discussion forum. I wasn't writing a report, wasn't claiming to have been there and wasn't trying to give a definitive view of the event. Purely giving my opinion on what I saw from the TV coverage, as stated in my post.

JDPower
30th May 2007, 03:13
Does anyone have any news on that kev boldhead bloke (is that his name)?in the 99 car does he drive? doeshe have a budget?
I was reliably (I think) informed he's an ex West Tec mechanic and not (or wasn't) a driver.

Duane
30th May 2007, 06:53
we have just watched the tv footage and its not that good, by the time we came on screen we had already pushed the cars out and our series video "Green,Green......Green" had been shown on the big screens, so a good 5 mins, i can see why JD said what he did, i can only say how impressed the RAF were with us on the day.

As for Kev "Baldhead" Borland, he did spend some time with west-tec but has been with us at KRR and Revolution for over 3 years, if we don't have a driver handy we always have kev availible to take an Ascar for a spin........

Duane

cgs
30th May 2007, 12:18
i iwsh i could have been there to see my video on a big screen :(

RAFMSA
1st June 2007, 08:59
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a310/DarrenCDB/AvatarMay07100.jpg

Hi Folks, remember this wee beastie? Shame we didn't get a re-run on the Sunday, good to see you there.

RAFMSA

racing59
3rd June 2007, 22:04
I feel a good re-run coming on next year.
I might have to bring this as a "not so secret weapon"...