PDA

View Full Version : Subaru Comeback?

Gordini
3rd November 2023, 10:24
Is there anything in online info on comeback for Subaru in Rally?

Duvel
3rd November 2023, 17:53
If they come back it would be thanks to some help from Toyota i thought? They could provide a base engine for wrc or something

lmmjvss
3rd November 2023, 18:28
I mean... I wouldnt mind having a Subaru shaped/stickered car racing with a Toyota engine.
Tbh I'd love to see stuff like in MotoGP, where, idk, PetterSolber or ProDrive could just run this year's cars next season, like they do with the old Ducattis. And even the F1 people dont seem to care that ASTON MARTIN and ALFA ROMEO are not actuaaaaally ASTON MARTIN and ALFA ROMEO, u'know? Just a couple of '''french''' built cars using mercedes or ferrari engines or whatever ....

becher
3rd November 2023, 18:44
I mean... I wouldnt mind having a Subaru shaped/stickered car racing with a Toyota engine.
Tbh I'd love to see stuff like in MotoGP, where, idk, PetterSolber or ProDrive could just run this year's cars next season, like they do with the old Ducattis. And even the F1 people dont seem to care that ASTON MARTIN and ALFA ROMEO are not actuaaaaally ASTON MARTIN and ALFA ROMEO, u'know? Just a couple of '''french''' built cars using mercedes or ferrari engines or whatever ....
Aston Martin is Aston Martin, with Alfa you are right. It's just a sponsor for Sauber.

Kenneth
3rd November 2023, 19:27
Also Aston is British and Sauber is Swiss.

TypeR
3rd November 2023, 19:43
Aston Martin is Aston Martin, with Alfa you are right. It's just a sponsor for Sauber.
Aston Martin is Merc's engines and brand name/sponsor for the team. Wtf.
AM is also just a sponsor/badge for the team.
What about Tag Heuer Red Bull.. actually were Renault engines, just branded differently

TypeR
3rd November 2023, 19:51
Give some F1/WRC or whatever motorsports' team x-xxx millions of money and you name the team peppa pig, mickey mouse or cock-a-doodle-doo..
It doesn't change the heart of the car to that..

becher
3rd November 2023, 19:55
What about Tag Heuer Red Bull.. actually were Renault engines, just branded differently

Engine isn't the car. Aston Martin F1 is owned by the same people as AM roadcar business. It's like Ferrari. Mercedes on the other hand is only owned one third by Mercedes, but one wouldn't call it Wolff Ineos Mercedes Illmor racing right?

becher
3rd November 2023, 19:57
Give some F1/WRC or whatever motorsports' team x-xxx millions of money and you name the team peppa pig, mickey mouse or cock-a-doodle-doo..
It doesn't change the heart of the car to that..

Of course, thats what happens with the name desecration at Sauber.

Tauri_J
4th November 2023, 07:00
I'd bet my money that they dont.

Rallyper
4th November 2023, 10:14
I'd bet my money that they dont.

How much money do you have? ;) ;)

Kenneth
4th November 2023, 10:58

Everybody knows that Aston Martin uses Mercedes engines, that's why they are called Aramco Aston Martin Mercedes. Everybody knows that there are only 3 full factory teams (+ Red Bull kinda). They will Honda's factory team in 2026, which again, doesn't change the fact that it's Aston Martin as it's owned by same person who owns Lagonda (if he won't sell the team ofc). You are mixing absolutely different things together.

bluuford
5th November 2023, 19:40
Everybody knows that Aston Martin uses Mercedes engines, that's why they are called Aramco Aston Martin Mercedes. Everybody knows that there are only 3 full factory teams (+ Red Bull kinda). They will Honda's factory team in 2026, which again, doesn't change the fact that it's Aston Martin as it's owned by same person who owns Lagonda (if he won't sell the team ofc). You are mixing absolutely different things together.
Not me, I dont know anything about F1, I haven't watched any events in last 20 years.. so, please stick with Subaru. I have heard that there is some turth behind this rumor, but there is no official story about it. Normally it should not happen before 2027.

WRCStan
5th November 2023, 20:48
A lot of Mercs on the road today have Renault engines. Different chassis and engine manufacturers stretch back to the beginning of cars, one good reason why it's like this format names in F1. Much of the automotive industry is companies owning a slice of another that owns a slice of the first, passing license fees back and forth. So on that theme is there any reason TGR can't also run Subaru as a B team?

skarderud
5th November 2023, 21:02
Not me, I dont know anything about F1, I haven't watched any events in last 20 years.. so, please stick with Subaru. I have heard that there is some turth behind this rumor, but there is no official story about it. Normally it should not happen before 2027.I think it is something going on in Torsby, Petter is building new workshop.
Hopefully it is something subaru, maybe as a Rally2 in worst case?

Sent fra min SM-S901B via Tapatalk

becher
5th November 2023, 22:07
I think it is something going on in Torsby, Petter is building new workshop.
Hopefully it is something subaru, maybe as a Rally2 in worst case?

Subaru Rally2 doesn't really make sense as they have neither a car nor an engine that could be used.

Rally1 with a Toyota engine and maybe even chassis on the other hand...

JRodrigues
6th November 2023, 06:54
I think it all comes down to the next set of regulations of Rally1 to start with. If they'd need to be based on Rally2, then a staright NO is the answer - they don't have a car to build a Rally2 around. If the Rally1 continues to be a prototype class, then there is always the possibility, even if they don't have an engine for it.

JRodrigues
6th November 2023, 08:13
Also, Akio Toyoda just got a ride in a WRX STi in Japan:

https://twitter.com/TOYOTA_GR/status/1721366922007400765

But almost certainly this means nothing.

WRCStan
6th November 2023, 18:14
Does anybody believe Subaru is happening without Toyoda's input?

TypeR
6th November 2023, 18:26
Does anybody believe Subaru is happening without Toyoda's input?
Toyota shares its engine and everything else is Subaru's effort. Frame, suspension, transmission, aero are all doable..

WRCStan
6th November 2023, 21:21
Toyota shares its engine and everything else is Subaru's effort. Frame, suspension, transmission, aero are all doable..

I mean if you take Akio Toyoda away from the decision making, are Subaru going rallying?

becher
6th November 2023, 21:51
I mean if you take Akio Toyoda away from the decision making, are Subaru going rallying?
No.

seb_sh
7th November 2023, 13:25
Which car would they use? I know they have the Impreza in ARA but BRZ would be cool.

Managarium
7th November 2023, 14:58
Because of space frame chassis, they can use any model they want.

becher
7th November 2023, 16:09
Because of space frame chassis, they can use any model they want.

Yes but streching a BRZ styled body over a Rally1 compliant chassis would be a packaging nightmare and a hideous contraption.

skarderud
7th November 2023, 16:33
Could be subaru crosstrek, the closest to Ford's Puma atleast.

In norway they only sell soltera electric it seems.

Managarium
7th November 2023, 17:37
Yes but streching a BRZ styled body over a Rally1 compliant chassis would be a packaging nightmare and a hideous contraption.

Look at Puma. Rally1 version looks like a squashed road version of a car.

TypeR
7th November 2023, 17:38
Most likely XV/Crosstrek.. or their ev Solterra maybe? has better rear-end/roof/trunk shape for bigger and more efficient spoiler?
Although it wouldn't make sense to PR ev car if rally1 has ICE..

I still think the look and panels/lights of the car is the smallest issue.

becher
7th November 2023, 20:26
Look at Puma. Rally1 version looks like a squashed road version of a car.
It does but putting a Puma/Fiesta hybrid body over the chassis is far easier.

The proportions of a coupe are difficult to transform onto a chassis like this. The long bonnet wouldn't be possible and neither would be the fastback rear considering the spec safety cell and motor-generator unit in the back.

Franky
8th November 2023, 07:00
I hope they don't go for the Impreza/Impreza XV/XV/Crosstrek slash whatever else they call that model as how the hell would they call it?

Sulland
8th November 2023, 12:17
What did Toyoda actually say?

Also, Akio Toyoda just got a ride in a WRX STi in Japan:

https://twitter.com/TOYOTA_GR/status/1721366922007400765

But almost certainly this means nothing.

seb_sh
8th November 2023, 21:28

Are you sure? What are the dimensions of the crash structure? I couldn't find the info. As far as I know it's a standard structure used in all cars. The BRZ road car is 15 cm less high than the i20 for example, that's not a huge amount. Also only about 20 cm longer. So yeah I dunno maybe it's a bad idea but I'm not convinced it couldn't fit.

becher
8th November 2023, 22:42
Are you sure? What are the dimensions of the crash structure? I couldn't find the info. As far as I know it's a standard structure used in all cars. The BRZ road car is 15 cm less high than the i20 for example, that's not a huge amount. Also only about 20 cm longer. So yeah I dunno maybe it's a bad idea but I'm not convinced it couldn't fit.

Im sure you could do it but not well. The safety cell might not be an issue and the rest of the chassis is free but the motor generator unit is tall and far back. Seating positions are now higher wich would likely complicate the roofline as well. Quick access to spare wheel(s) would likely be complicated as well and I would guess to get the right bonnet line the space for the front suspension would be severely compromised as well.

becher
8th November 2023, 23:53

Well looking at a naked Puma chassis, I must say it could probably be easier than I thought but I still think it would end up looking silly or with far to big overhangs.

JRodrigues
9th November 2023, 14:31
Look not elsewhere!

https://www.pmw-magazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/08/MSPR4706-scaled-e1691502575431.jpg

Gregor-y
10th November 2023, 16:06
I guess the Galant managed some points in the early 90s...

But I don't think a modern WRX could even qualify for WRC standards anymore

becher
10th November 2023, 18:31
I guess the Galant managed some points in the early 90s...

But I don't think a modern WRX could even qualify for WRC standards anymore
Not an ARA one but if done right with a transverse inline 4, there is no reason why it wouldn't.

SubaruNorway
10th November 2023, 20:31
Subaru WRX is about 70cm longer and 12cm wider than a Yaris from a quick check, maybe too much even for scaling?

becher
10th November 2023, 20:41
Subaru WRX is about 70cm longer and 12cm wider than a Yaris from a quick check, maybe too much even for scaling?
Personally I'd say so, but I wouldn't put it past a manufacturer to bring something ungainly looking with only a few styling clues from the road car, like the Puma for example.

bomber21
11th November 2023, 11:27
Solbergs are publishing some tweets lately that most of them are about Subaru.

seb_sh
11th November 2023, 12:16
I guess nothing is sure until the cars appear on the start ramp but there are a lot of coincidences about Subaru lately.

mmm
11th November 2023, 13:55
Any one smarter than me correct me please, but I believe none of the current teams have used the scaling thingy. Can see them using parts from street cars. Would make sense simply for cost reasons - for example producing bespoke laminated glass windshields just for the Rally1 program would be VERY expensive.
So yes, I guess Subaru would have to find a smaller base car.

becher
11th November 2023, 14:15
Scaling isn't necessarily scaling like a 1:18 model, look at the Puma. Other than the bumper area and the rear lights it doesn't look like the obese Puma road car.

ictus
11th November 2023, 14:38
for example producing bespoke laminated glass windshields just for the Rally1 program would be VERY expensive
As far as I remember windshield, bonnet and roof must come from the road car (diamention wise)

Humber
12th November 2023, 18:57
The rally car heated windscreens are not overly expensive. As part of an overall WRC Rally1 budget the windscreens are insignificant.

https://www.heatedwindscreen.com/

Matthew
12th November 2023, 19:04
If we see them coming back, it would in some kind of partnership with another brand.

becher
12th November 2023, 19:28
The rally car heated windscreens are not overly expensive. As part of an overall WRC Rally1 budget the windscreens are insignificant.

https://www.heatedwindscreen.com/

It's more about the cost of development and production of a bespoke windshield.