PDA

View Full Version : Indy 500 lapped traffic

mark123
23rd May 2007, 00:56
On what lap do you think the first car will go a lap down (not counting cars making a pit stop)

My pick - lap 20

lineflat
23rd May 2007, 13:20
Someone will have a mechanical issue or a spin on the first lap or so, so I would guess on lap 2 or 3 someone will already be down a lap. As far as how long it will take the leaders to catch the back of the pack once we go (and stay) green, I would say your estimate of 20 laps is close. I'll say 18 laps.
lf

mark123
23rd May 2007, 23:07
Starter - i agree with you. I also think that because the I500 grid has rows of 3 cars, Brian will insist on a large gap between the rows to avoid a 1st lap pile up. So i beleive that row 11 will be almost 1/2 the length of the front straight behind the leaders, and the leaders will get on the gas well before the cars in row 11.

Not too long to wait now - i can't wait. the only issue is that the race starts at 4:30am Monday morning here in New Zealand!!! :o :o :o

underpowered
24th May 2007, 02:40
I'm picking lap 30. We will have alot of yellows this year as there are so many rookies.

Wilf
24th May 2007, 03:19
I'm picking lap 30. We will have alot of yellows this year as there are so many rookies.

There are only two rookies: Duno and Geibler.

mark123
24th May 2007, 03:41
I think he means 'field fillers' eg people that are not professional race car drivers and who will be substancially slower then the superstars in the top 20 or so cars.

its a shame that the field does not go a bit deaper with good drivers - particularly when there are so many good drivers in the IPS field who either lack the connections, family contacts or funding to get a ride.

speaking of that, it should be a great IPS race on carb day - last years passing move by Wade Cunningham on the outside of turn 4 of the last lap to take the win was one of the best passes i have seen on an oval in a very long time.

uncre8tv
25th May 2007, 17:28
milka in traffic... ten laps MAX before she gets lapped. barring a crash, of course.

FerrrariF1
25th May 2007, 22:11
8 laps (Dunno) unless they have a yellow before them...I also predict that Dunno will be parked by the IRL by lap 50 (if she is still running) however I also predict that Danica will be out of the race before Dunno and will go off having a hissy fit because she will be the first female out...BTW Fisher gets a top 15....the first four will be the only four who have a chance of winning Ganassi and Penske Racing

overall plenty of empty seats and a boring race

gm99
25th May 2007, 22:54
Dunno about the lap, but my money is on Marty Roth to be the first one to be lapped (barring incidents from other cars) - he really should not be in that race...

call_me_andrew
25th May 2007, 22:57
I predict Duno won't make it to lap 30. Fischer gets a top 20. Danica gets a top 10. AGR will win (not sure which driver). It will be a good race.

Old3Fan
27th May 2007, 04:14
On what lap do you think the first car will go a lap down (not counting cars making a pit stop) My pick - lap 20

Within 5 laps if there is a race. Looks like maybe rain for the next couple of days.

gm99
27th May 2007, 19:01
So, somewhat surprisingly, the first "lapping casualty" was Roger Yasukawa on Lap 33...