PDA

View Full Version : Takuma Sato - Extreme makeover

Valve Bounce
22nd May 2007, 05:20
Here is an interview with this guy: http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpass_news_item.php?fes_art_id=31490

I must say that this guy has had an extreme makeover because he is certainly a different racer these days. From reckless and Wreckful to cautious and successful.

That he was a Honda supported driver from his early days is well know in racing circles. Honda got him a seat with Eddie by supplying engines to him, and in return Taku had some spectacular performances, wrecking quite a few of Eddie's pride and joys and just about sending the guy broke.

Then Taku got the prime reserve driver place in Team Honda, which certainly lifted his prospects and his view of his capabilities. That he was told he would replace a former World Champion before the former WDC was fired came out in a slip of Taku tongue when he announced that he would be racing in the Japan GP.

The first year, Taku's re-emergence into F1 was quite spectacular; he didn't do as well as his erstwhile team mate but he did go faster in several quals and races, and he did score quite a bagful of points for Honda in a very good car.

That made the guy more reckless, and he was trying things in quals and races that he never tried in testing or practice. The next year, his performance can only be described as abysmal, and he was fired. Thank the Japanese Gods that the home fans kicked up one helluva fuss at their hero being fired that Honda formed a "B" team called Super Aguri to keep this guy racing, albeit with a veteran racer that was hopelessly slow. But Taku used that one chance to mature - he drove better and he certainly impressed in that aged Arrows.

Now, that maturity has transformed into a much better and mature attitude (read interview in above link) and performance. Now he just wants to keep the car on the road as well as go fast, and go fast he did in Barca, scoring Honda's only point this year, ahead of the hugely better funded factory Team Honda.

I used to regard this guy as wasted space, but this year, he has forced me to rethink my assessment and I think this guy intends to be a great team man and contribute to Super Aguri's success. Maybe he will turn out to be a better driver than bunsen even, but that remains to be seen in the distant (or not too distant) future.

If he can finish ahead of bunsen at Monaco, then he will certainly have convinced me, and make me an even more avid Super Aguri supporter than I already am.

ioan
22nd May 2007, 07:19
Here is an interview with this guy: http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpass_news_item.php?fes_art_id=31490

I must say that this guy has had an extreme makeover because he is certainly a different racer these days. From reckless and Wreckful to cautious and successful.

That he was a Honda supported driver from his early days is well know in racing circles. Honda got him a seat with Eddie by supplying engines to him, and in return Taku had some spectacular performances, wrecking quite a few of Eddie's pride and joys and just about sending the guy broke.

Then Taku got the prime reserve driver place in Team Honda, which certainly lifted his prospects and his view of his capabilities. That he was told he would replace a former World Champion before the former WDC was fired came out in a slip of Taku tongue when he announced that he would be racing in the Japan GP.

The first year, Taku's re-emergence into F1 was quite spectacular; he didn't do as well as his erstwhile team mate but he did go faster in several quals and races, and he did score quite a bagful of points for Honda in a very good car.

That made the guy more reckless, and he was trying things in quals and races that he never tried in testing or practice. The next year, his performance can only be described as abysmal, and he was fired. Thank the Japanese Gods that the home fans kicked up one helluva fuss at their hero being fired that Honda formed a "B" team called Super Aguri to keep this guy racing, albeit with a veteran racer that was hopelessly slow. But Taku used that one chance to mature - he drove better and he certainly impressed in that aged Arrows.

Now, that maturity has transformed into a much better and mature attitude (read interview in above link) and performance. Now he just wants to keep the car on the road as well as go fast, and go fast he did in Barca, scoring Honda's only point this year, ahead of the hugely better funded factory Team Honda.

I used to regard this guy as wasted space, but this year, he has forced me to rethink my assessment and I think this guy intends to be a great team man and contribute to Super Aguri's success. Maybe he will turn out to be a better driver than bunsen even, but that remains to be seen in the distant (or not too distant) future.

If he can finish ahead of bunsen at Monaco, then he will certainly have convinced me, and make me an even more avid Super Aguri supporter than I already am.

Underestimating Sato that shows that you knew nothing about F1! :p :

leopard
22nd May 2007, 07:41
I used to regard this guy as wasted space, but this year, he has forced me to rethink my assessment

Are you sure it wasn't referring to Yuji Ide?

Roamy
22nd May 2007, 07:45
I like takuma he has been agressive and fast. not afraid to stick it in there.
I know he has been toned down because the cars are not capable of what he wants to do.. But kukos to this guy who will race with a inferior car !!!

Valve Bounce
22nd May 2007, 09:13
Are you sure it wasn't referring to Yuji Ide?

Two years ago, Taku scored 1 point in the entire year in a good car. So what is your assessment?

And ioan, yes! I agree, I know nothing about F1.

ioan
22nd May 2007, 10:38
And ioan, yes! I agree, I know nothing about F1.

No, no I disagree. You already learned something about Sato! :D

wedge
22nd May 2007, 13:47
I've never lost faith in Sato even when he pulled silly desperate manouvres.

On a given day he can be quick. Certainly a driver who needs some TLC to get the best out of him.

Valve Bounce
22nd May 2007, 14:16
I've never lost faith in Sato even when he pulled silly desperate manouvres.

On a given day he can be quick. Certainly a driver who needs some TLC to get the best out of him.

I think my lead post sets out the path Taku took towards maturing his driving style and outlook; I have a suspicion that this guy is going to prove himself in F1 in a big way, although in my eyes, he already did that at Barca.

OK, I was wrong two years ago, I admit that.

cy bais
22nd May 2007, 16:00
I hope we all don't jinx him :)

jens
22nd May 2007, 18:50
I have always been a small fan of Taku, but even I lost faith in him during 2005 and couldn't see him in F1 in the future. So I'm happy he has managed to rehabilitate himself and is finding or has already found that consistency and speed that described him in 2004.

Hopefully he'll score at least one more point with which he would exceed his total score in 2005, when he had a clearly better car! That would be a clear sign of the improvement of his performances.

raphael123
22nd May 2007, 20:48
His performances in F3 were spectacular - in a good way. I was really surprised he failed to cut the mustard in F1, even after those years at Jordon and then BAR/Honda. It has to be pointed out Button completely and utterly destroyed Sato, and I think his confidence was crushed. Now, with weaker team-mates his confidence is raising again. Idle or Montagny were hardly going to worry him, and now Davidson, a top guy, someone who I think has potentail, Sato knows Honda choosed him (sato) over davidson for the 2nd seat everytime, plus he beat him in F3 - so he knows he can beat him.

ClarkFan
22nd May 2007, 22:58
I think my lead post sets out the path Taku took towards maturing his driving style and outlook; I have a suspicion that this guy is going to prove himself in F1 in a big way, although in my eyes, he already did that at Barca.

OK, I was wrong two years ago, I admit that.

I don't think you were wrong then. Sato's racing in 2005 was spectacularly bad, with a bevy of unforced errors. I wonder how early in the year BAR management told him he was racing for his seat? He certainly drove like he was feeling a lot of pressure, pressing in a manner that proved his undoing.

Perhaps a change of scenery and lower-pressure environment (more Zen-like?) was what he needed.

ClarkFan

Valve Bounce
23rd May 2007, 00:34
His performances in F3 were spectacular - in a good way. I was really surprised he failed to cut the mustard in F1, even after those years at Jordon and then BAR/Honda. It has to be pointed out Button completely and utterly destroyed Sato, and I think his confidence was crushed. Now, with weaker team-mates his confidence is raising again. Idle or Montagny were hardly going to worry him, and now Davidson, a top guy, someone who I think has potentail, Sato knows Honda choosed him (sato) over davidson for the 2nd seat everytime, plus he beat him in F3 - so he knows he can beat him.

Just a clarification here: it wasn't that Honda chose him over ant that did the damage - I think it was knowing that Honda (aka Richards here) chose him over a former WDC. This must have made him think that he could do no wrong. And the first year he did quite well - it was his second year racing (third really if you count the Japan GP) that he took a lot of silly risks and paid the penalty of getting fired.

Now, sadder but much wiser, he has matured and this is showing in his racing. Wouldn't it be funny if he beat bunsen at Monaco :p :

wedge
23rd May 2007, 00:39
Sato has never been that great at handling pressure and needing to find those extra tenths, but then again so do most drivers.

In F1 if you make a mistake the problem is magnified because there's so much scrutiny these days its regarded as a catastrophe!

Regards to 2005, Sato never really got to grips with that car, especially after the fuel tank debacle. Sato likes the rear to roll and slide more (compared to Button). He and Jock Clear didn't click well during that year they could never find the sweetspot on the set up.

raphael123
23rd May 2007, 00:43
Just a clarification here: it wasn't that Honda chose him over ant that did the damage - I think it was knowing that Honda (aka Richards here) chose him over a former WDC. This must have made him think that he could do no wrong. And the first year he did quite well - it was his second year racing (third really if you count the Japan GP) that he took a lot of silly risks and paid the penalty of getting fired.

Now, sadder but much wiser, he has matured and this is showing in his racing. Wouldn't it be funny if he beat bunsen at Monaco :p :

In the first year he did quite well? He did average - but scoring just over a third of what your team-mate managed - a guy who you personally don't rate, doesn't say much for Sato, a guy you say did quite well lol.

I think ClarkFan and wedge are right in saying he doesn't handle pressure very well, and now, out of the spotlight, in a poorer car with less expectation, and poor team-mates, he can show his potential. If he can replicate that in a top team, he could do some serious damage.

ClarkFan
23rd May 2007, 02:21

:confused:

How are you counting years? 2004 was Sato's first year with Honda, but his second full season in F1 - he got a full year ride with Jordan-Honda in 2002. He fell to pieces in his third full season in F1 and now appears to have recovered his moxie in his 5th season.

A nice comeback, but not a prodigy.

ClarkFan

Valve Bounce
23rd May 2007, 07:38
No mate, and quite right. I am just pointing out an "Extreme Makeover" in the guys approach to F1 racing. (So far).

aryan
23rd May 2007, 09:54
Now let's be honest here Valve, how much of the new-found praise for Sato is due to him out-performing a certain driver whom you rater rather highly? ;-) :D

Valve Bounce
23rd May 2007, 10:19
Sorry, but there will be no further discussion from me about that other driver until after the race at Monaco.

Flat.tyres
23rd May 2007, 10:24
sato is fast but eratic and has been since he first got in a kart about 10 years ago. lets not forget that he used to play about with BMX before getting into cars and fast tracked by Honda into F1.

that doesnt take the fact away that he's fast enough to be in F1 but he's pretty inexperienced at working to set up cars a bit like JV was. there is a knowledge gap there. speed isnt everything in F1 but the all round package is.

I know we go on about lewis but he started racing before taku. he has done a full scholership and comes in f1 as a professional racer who knows how to work with a team and how to communicate effectivly his wishes.

Taku just doesn't have that depth of knowledge or experience.

Valve Bounce
23rd May 2007, 10:27
Taku just doesn't have that depth of knowledge or experience.

He's getting there. :)

Flat.tyres
23rd May 2007, 11:20
He's getting there. :)

he has a great natural talent but didnt start racing until he was about 20. hes 30 now so dont have much time to get anywhere anymore. its now or never.

jens
23rd May 2007, 11:31
Attention - new speculation!

http://www.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/news/detail/070523101739.shtml

The German broadcaster RTL reported this week that Toyota could already be eying long-time Honda protégé Takuma Sato as a worthy occupant of the ride alongside Trulli in 2008 and beyond.

Flat.tyres
23rd May 2007, 12:02
silly season gets earlier and earlier. i blame global worming. the sooner we change to biofuels, the better :)

Still, ralf has been boxing below his weight for a long time now. about time he got into the underware business if you ask me.

Ed
24th May 2007, 15:24
the problem is that the other teams are going to still remeber him form his awful 2005 season when he scroed no points and when he kept tripping over the other drivers escpecially the incident in Suzaka with Trulli

Valve Bounce
26th May 2007, 03:59
the problem is that the other teams are going to still remeber him form his awful 2005 season when he scroed no points and when he kept tripping over the other drivers escpecially the incident in Suzaka with Trulli

Actually, Tako managed 1 point while bunsen scored 37. This vast difference indicated a desperation which got worse with each non scoring race. One began to wonder whether he had a loose wire between his brain and his hands and feet.

Last year, there was no need for desperation - the second hand Arrows was clearly so outclassed that just finishing intact was an achievement, and hitting someone else simply meant he wouldn't finish. This alterred his focus and he matured as a result.

raphael123
26th May 2007, 18:47
What was wrong with Sato today? Was he 20th? Extreme makeover :p :

ioan
26th May 2007, 18:51
What was wrong with Sato today? Was he 20th? Extreme makeover :p :

I think it was about bad timing for his last lap.

Ed
26th May 2007, 19:51
I still think Sato has had his chance and pretty much blown it. Could you imaginbe if he went to Toyota it was Trulli who was harping on about how dangerous he was even before the clash they had in Japan

jens
26th May 2007, 20:37
I also think that the main fear in Sato's move to a factory team is that how can he handle the pressure there. Teams, who might think about hiring him, don't doubt about his speed, but about his consistency and nerves.

Valve Bounce
26th May 2007, 22:44
I think it was about bad timing for his last lap.

True! both Aguri drivers were handicapped by events beyond their drivers control :http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpass_news_item.php?fes_art_id=31555

ioan
26th May 2007, 22:56
True! both Aguri drivers were handicapped by events beyond their drivers control :http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpass_news_item.php?fes_art_id=31555

We should by them a good stopwatch and tell them that a minute has only 60 seconds! :D

Valve Bounce
27th May 2007, 01:32
We should by them a good stopwatch and tell them that a minute has only 60 seconds! :D

It is totally unacceptable that any driver should miss out on their hot laps because their team management can't look at the time remaining and work out when to send them out. What would happen if they send them out 10 seconds early? I just don't understand this idea of waiting until the very last seconds to send the cars out. Apart from anything else, if everybody does that, the track would be jammed with cars and nobody will do a good lap.

raphael123
27th May 2007, 01:39

That wasn't an excuse for Button and Barrichello earlier this season was it :laugh: :p :

Still, I'm sure the Super Aguri's drivers can do better in the race, and their starting positions isn't where their true pace lies :)

Valve Bounce
27th May 2007, 01:43
That wasn't an excuse for Button and Barrichello earlier this season was it :laugh: :p :

Still, I'm sure the Super Aguri's drivers can do better in the race, and their starting positions isn't where their true pace lies :)

PLease refer to my comments in the other thread.

raphael123
27th May 2007, 01:52
I didn't ask any questions it's ok :up: Just commenting on another members post - I don't think that's been banned :)

Valve Bounce
27th May 2007, 01:56
I didn't ask any questions it's ok :up: Just commenting on another members post - I don't think that's been banned :)

No Comment!

aryan
27th May 2007, 03:38
No Comment!

you two... :rolleyes:

BeansBeansBeans
27th May 2007, 08:45
This is ridiculous. The idea that one member can not challenge another's opinion is utter madness. This is a discussion forum for goodness sake.

Valve Bounce
27th May 2007, 10:09
This is ridiculous. The idea that one member can not challenge another's opinion is utter madness. This is a discussion forum for goodness sake.

He can challenge as much as he likes - he has been stalking me in this forum for quite sometime.

That I do not wish to respond is my choice, is it not? I had told him quite some time ago that I do not have to answer to him in this forum.

So!!

Schnell
27th May 2007, 22:32
Taku is more popular in Japan than Honda itself!