PDA

View Full Version : Tyre Sponsorship

Maui J.
21st May 2007, 23:29
Ok, I’ve been thinking about the whole Daniel Carlsson thing about running out of money and unable to complete his original programme. The same applies to Gigi Galli as well with the loss of a major sponsor.

So who is out there with the Big $$$ able to put a decent budget forward? The answer is the tyre companies. With M1 and M2 teams having to shod Pirelli from 2008 here’s a chance for other rally tyre manufacturers to showcase their brand by funding a privateer outside of M1 & M2.
We have already seen examples of this with Gigi in the Pirelli badged 307 last year.
To me this car really stood out as far as branding was concerned.

At the moment, IMO the BF Goodrich shod WRCars don’t really showcase the brand to its full potential. We the rally enthusiast know what they are using but does Joe Public? A small BF Goodrich sticker on each corner of the car almost disappears at race pace. A fully dedicated livery on the side of the car is much more visible (like the Gigi 307).

So for those drivers sitting on the sideline here is an oppuntity for some real sponsorship money.

Apart from Michelin/BF Goodrich and Pirelli I can think of 7 additional companies making rally tyres (Dunlop, Silverstone, Yokohama, Falken, MRF, Hankook, Kumho). Sure I know a lot of you will rubbish some of these brands and they may struggle against the established brands but ‘beggars can’t be choosers’.

In the APRC Fast Jussi and Taguchi drive for the MRF Tyre team out of India. MRF are showing they want to promote their brand to a bigger audience, so maybe the WRC is the next step. Also Neil McShea is running Kumho in the PWRC, another company with a potential to step up.

I remember in the late 90s here in the NZ there seems to be a lot of cars with fully dedicated livery from Falken. Former NZ Champ Reece Jones approached the parent company and got enough money from to take his car (Group N Evo) to a handful of European WRC events. If an unknown from here can do it surely a big name driver has such a better chance.

Anyway just a thought, but hopefully we may see a fully liveried Yokohama 307 or a Hankook Focus in next years champs.

Maui J.
21st May 2007, 23:41
Michelin were so f***** off at the FIA for going down the Pirelli road for the WRCars from 2008 onwards well this is a way to shove it back right back at them.

In 2008 Citroen run 3 cars, 2 dedicated to the M1 with Pirellis of course but the third ’privateer’ car shod with Michelin/BF Goodrich fully livered up with branding and driven by….......Seb Loeb. Not that Citroen would go for that but it would shake a few rattles at the FIA

ZequeArgentina
21st May 2007, 23:47
That last idea could really shaken things up!!!
They will surely find a way to ban Seb/Michelin, probably entry could be rejected.

pentti
21st May 2007, 23:47
Very good point but next year only Pirelli allowed. Also like Kumho is the fastest tyre there but even if they decide to enter WRC, it is difficult.

Maui J.
22nd May 2007, 02:57
Very good point but next year only Pirelli allowed.

As I understand that's only for M1 & M2 teams.
A privateer outside of these teams can run a WRCar with any brand of tyre. Correct?

DonJippo
22nd May 2007, 06:59
As I understand that's only for M1 & M2 teams.
A privateer outside of these teams can run a WRCar with any brand of tyre. Correct?

According to this it's all with four-wheel drive rallycar.

Pirelli has won the tender to be the official tyre supplier to the 2008, 2009 and 2010 FIA World Rally Championships. It will now enter into a formal contract to supply tyres in all events of the Championship to all competitors with a four-wheel drive rally car (as defined in the International Sporting Code).

http://www.fia.com/mediacentre/Press_Releases/FIA_Sport/2007/February/270207-01.html

Glee
22nd May 2007, 07:54
Quote:
Pirelli has won the tender to be the official tyre supplier to the 2008, 2009 and 2010 FIA World Rally Championships. It will now enter into a formal contract to supply tyres in all events of the Championship to all competitors with a four-wheel drive rally car (as defined in the International Sporting Code).

Darn....

Henning and Expert have showed how sponsorship should bee done: Instead of 100 different small stickers, a complete branding of the car.

MHjerpe
22nd May 2007, 08:35
Who get all the money Pirelli is putting in for be the "only" tire brand...
Should't be better if the money went via the drivers and the teams insted..
Love your ideas Maui..

jonkka
22nd May 2007, 08:37
Henning and Expert have showed how sponsorship should bee done: Instead of 100 different small stickers, a complete branding of the car.

True but which is easier, get 100mil from one company or get one mil from 100 companies? Hence the bumper-sticker cars...

General Prim
22nd May 2007, 08:39
And what about a BF Goodrich sponsored car driven by Seb and with Pirelli tyres and little stickers?

Glee
22nd May 2007, 08:58
True but which is easier, get 100mil from one company or get one mil from 100 companies? Hence the bumper-sticker cars...

Yes, but the Expert sponsorship has not only a success for Henning and Cato, but also for Expert. The team is an integrated part of their pr program, and they draw crowd to shop-openings and so on.

And Experts suppliers (as Samsung and Pioneer) do also share the bill.

In USA is such sponsorship more common, MacDonald’s have their own Dragracing team... It should be more companies who are able to see the value of such a close cooperation.

Maui J.
22nd May 2007, 12:00
According to this it's all with four-wheel drive rallycar.

http://www.fia.com/mediacentre/Press_Releases/FIA_Sport/2007/February/270207-01.html

Mmm, I didn't realise this. I thought it was just those chasing manufacturers points. So if it's all 4WD cars, that must apply to the PWRC field as well? OK now I think this new rule is completly stupid. That would mean Nutahara would have to give up his Yokohama deal, McShea his Kumhos.

Does this also apply to locals entering their WRC round? For example reigning NZ champ Richard Mason has a deal with Silverstone, if he wants to enter Rally NZ 2008 will he have shod Pirelli since he uses a 4WD car? That's not good for PR between driver and sponsor. This rule may deplete fields.

GigiGalliNo1
22nd May 2007, 12:14
In 2008 Citroen run 3 cars, 2 dedicated to the M1 with Pirellis of course but the third ’privateer’ car shod with Michelin/BF Goodrich fully livered up with branding and driven by….......Seb Loeb. Not that Citroen would go for that but it would shake a few rattles at the FIA

I wrote something along the lines of that! Whats stopping Loeb from continuing with BFG nxt year as Galli this & last year drove with Pirelli's and the control tyre is.... BFG!

Confusing...so how was Gigi aloud to do this? because he was a privateer? Perhaps if Loeb will be a privateer next year, he could be the first privateer to win WRC rounds in as many years and even the drivers! But able to score team points?

Doon
22nd May 2007, 12:23
This has got to be a joke!? Also Stuart Jones is sponsered by Hankook, and the reason for him leaving the British Championship was Pirelli becoming the control!

Think the FIA are trying to **** the sport up big time. One tyre supplier, that is so far the wrong way! There needs to be more suppliers to create more competition and interest, not to mention sponsorship opportunities! What next.....everyone in the same car?

GigiGalliNo1
22nd May 2007, 12:31
Sorry what i wrote was a joke?

DonJippo
22nd May 2007, 12:42
I wrote something along the lines of that! Whats stopping Loeb from continuing with BFG nxt year as Galli this & last year drove with Pirelli's and the control tyre is.... BFG!

2008 is the first year there will be control tyre, this year is a matter of Pirelli deciding to withdraw from WRC on 2007.

Maui J.
22nd May 2007, 12:45
I wrote something along the lines of that!

Sorry GG1, hope I didn't steal your line. I don't read everything on this forum. Great minds think alike eh!

GigiGalliNo1
22nd May 2007, 12:45
ahh ok....but can drivers still drive with another brand tyre? Or completly banned? I'm not stupid, i'm just wondering.... :p

Viktory
22nd May 2007, 13:06
ahh ok....but can drivers still drive with another brand tyre? Or completly banned? I'm not stupid, i'm just wondering.... :p

The way I've understood it is that all 4-wheel drive cars have to use Pirelli, including privateers.

GigiGalliNo1
22nd May 2007, 13:12
The way I've understood it is that all 4-wheel drive cars have to use Pirelli, including privateers.

Thanks! :)

SubaruNorway
22nd May 2007, 18:17

Not privaters the way i understod it

ZequeArgentina
23rd May 2007, 01:42
They should NOT be to privateers, it will be a disaster for no reason!!
OK for WRC cars couls be OK, but not for PWRC or locals in n4 machinery

bowler
23rd May 2007, 07:15
I understand it to be for ALL 4 wheel drive cars in the field

Glee
23rd May 2007, 16:46
They should NOT be to privateers, it will be a disaster for no reason!!
OK for WRC cars couls be OK, but not for PWRC or locals in n4 machinery

Wouldn't it bee funny when the PWRC cars got a new Super-Duper tire, and the WRC on the control tire got outrun?

jonkka
24th May 2007, 11:13
Yes, but the Expert sponsorship has not only a success for Henning and Cato, but also for Expert. The team is an integrated part of their pr program, and they draw crowd to shop-openings and so on.

And Experts suppliers (as Samsung and Pioneer) do also share the bill.

In USA is such sponsorship more common, MacDonald’s have their own Dragracing team... It should be more companies who are able to see the value of such a close cooperation.

I agree fully, I like branded teams. Ok, all teams do have a title sponsor but having one that pays all the bills and has whole livery dedicated to them is great, looks much better than multiple stickers all around the car. Having said that, there are nice looking stickered liveries too. For driver, one big sponsorship is way easier, I reckon.

jonkka
24th May 2007, 11:18
Not privaters the way i understod it

How can you read "up" and understand "down"? Text has no if's and but's, it is quite clear, 4WD means control tyre, period.

Maui J.
24th May 2007, 22:41
This rule will hurt the championship even more. Numbers of local entrants will fall. Similar to the way the FIA fuel rule in 2005 did. Here in NZ only 8 local drivers entered the 2005 Rally NZ due to this rule. It really stretched the budgets of many. I don't even know the figure but was it something like 5 Euros a litre.
This tyre rule will do the same I believe.
Many drivers have a deal with the local importer or supplier of tyres. If they have to turn their backs on them in order to do their country's WRC round. Well as I've said before this is bad for driver/sponsor relationships.

Anyway does anybody know what kind of deal Pirelli will provide. Tyres at full retail, wholesale, cost, below cost...?

DonJippo
25th May 2007, 11:13
Anyway does anybody know what kind of deal Pirelli will provide. Tyres at full retail, wholesale, cost, below cost...?

There is an agreed prizing for tyres, think it was part of the tendering process.

Glee
25th May 2007, 12:14

When all drivers are using the same tire then you don’t need the “super-duper-extra-special tires”, just a good tire that is the same for everybody. That would probably reduce the cost for tires dramatically.

On the other hand it could bee that today drivers are getting tires free or at a very love price as a part of a sponsorship deal.

An alternative would be a fixed price on tires, and the tire-manufacturer would bee obligated to sell the tire to all drivers at that price. That would reduce the cost for the team, but would still open up for tire-sponsorship.

You would probably end up with only one company who would supply all tires, but open up for competitors.

What they should do if nobody did want to sell tires at that price is also a potential problem.