PDA

View Full Version : Oval to Road circuit conversion

courageous
20th May 2007, 21:38
I remember hearing a story (few years ago) that because British weather is a bit more damp than the oval's natural habitat, Rockingham had worked out a strategy in the event of rain to convert the track's layout quickly.

Simple question - How quickly & how many people are needed?

cheers!

pickup
20th May 2007, 22:34
I remember hearing a story (few years ago) that because British weather is a bit more damp than the oval's natural habitat, Rockingham had worked out a strategy in the event of rain to convert the track's layout quickly.

cheers!

Not to sure what you are refering to! if it's wet the SCSA cars don't race and the Pickuptrucks still use the oval but run on wet tyres.
Nothing else races on the oval and the change to a road course for the other formulas is fairly straightforward and completed quite quickly.

Abo
21st May 2007, 12:26
IIRC a few years ago there was all kinds of talk about wet weather contingency for the stock cars. One of the ideas (again IIRC) was to run them on wet tyres, on the old pickup pre-2003 roval course.

But this would still mean fitting wipers and rear safety light (same as any other wet solution I guess) so it was probably a non-starter...

acorn
21st May 2007, 13:03

cheers!

i think you may be referring to the layout that was used by the pickups before they used the full oval. after the start they used the oval up to the infield entry at t2 then used the section of infied track that runs almost parallel to the oval between t2 and t3 and then rejoined the oval after t3 using the oval through to the t2 infield entry.

deadsquirrel
21st May 2007, 13:32
how quick - 15 mins, 2 crews of 4, with jcb/forklifts. If you watch between oval and infield races at SCSA events this year, the wall at T2 is moved in/out in <15 mins. The only difference now, using the revised circuit configuration is not having to do the wall at T3 exit (which has a vehicle bridge within it) and therefore only needing 1 (hardworking :) ) crew.

As in many things the answer to how long and how many is simply how much money do you have!

LessThanSte
25th May 2007, 13:15
T3 exit (which has a vehicle bridge within it)

Whats this all about then?

Had a look on google maps and it doesnt suggest anything;

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=52.517796,-0.655698&spn=0.001138,0.002511&t=k&z=19&om=1

deadsquirrel
25th May 2007, 13:27
Whats this all about then?

Had a look on google maps and it doesnt suggest anything;

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=52.517796,-0.655698&spn=0.001138,0.002511&t=k&z=19&om=1

It's been nicked then! :)

Seriously, you CAN see it in the pic - it's the silvery coloured lump behind the tyre wall towards right of picture. For the oval, this bridge is set between the tyres, and has a Safety Truck on.

SteveA
25th May 2007, 16:17
Use Flash Earth to switch between image providers:

http://www.flashearth.com/?lat=52.51787&lon=-0.656002&z=20&r=0&src=aska

LessThanSte
25th May 2007, 17:39
I got worried when i looked on Live Maps. Looks like they've finally decided that Rockingham isnt cutting the mustard and got rid of it! :(

SteveA
25th May 2007, 20:13
That's strange - when I sent that link, Ask.com showed images at full zoom - now they don't seem to have any images at all!

MS VE has pictures from before Rockingham was built.