PDA

View Full Version : Most inexpensive rally to visit? (for a Greek person)

bomber21
23rd July 2022, 19:38
Hello,

in the past I have visited Germany, Turkey and Spain for WRC events. For 2023, I am hoping to watch another European WRC rally (except Acropolis Rally obviously) and I am wondering what is the most inexpensive option.

Croatia? Or Estonia if they reconsider the prices? Portugal?

Please note that I am not used to pay for access to SS since Greece, Turkey, Spain and Germany rallies (well, I paid to watch from the grandstands) were free to watch.

Thank you!

pantealex
23rd July 2022, 20:36
Well it's not Finland.

and most probably not Sweden because sleeping outside for free isn't possible...

not overseas because traveling is expensive.

bomber21
23rd July 2022, 20:48
I will stay in a hotel, not interested to sleep outside.

Jarek Z
23rd July 2022, 22:37
Let's find out!

1. Rallye Monte-Carlo - No, expensive country, snow&ice, sleeping outside for free impossible

2. Rally Sweden - No, snow&ice, sleeping outside for free impossible

3. Croatia Rally - maybe?

4. Vodafone Rally de Portugal

5. Rally Italia Sardegna

6. Safari Rally Kenya - No, too far away

7. Rally Estonia - No, many forum members said that this rally has become too expensive

8. Secto Automotive Rally Finland - No, because pantealex says so ;)

9. Ypres Rally Belgium

10. EKO Acropolis Rally Greece

11. Repco Rally New Zealand - No, too far away

12. RallyRACC - Catalunya Rally de España

13. FORUM8 Rally Japan - No, too far away

It seems Croatia?

macebig
24th July 2022, 05:50
Toss up between Croatia and Sardegna. First can be reached by car while the second is not far away from the sea.

bomber21
24th July 2022, 07:12
I assume Croatia is the obvious winner.
Life is cheaper than Sardegna and I hope that plane tickets will be not expensive if I book early.

WRCStan
24th July 2022, 11:42
IMO don't choose a rally by convincing yourself it'll be the cheapest on the calendar, go to the one you want to see most and do it cost-efficiently to get the most value for money. You've done tarmac and heavy gravel - how about Monte or Finland and see cars at 150kph on ice or flying around corners?

Because, if a rally pass is a dealbreaker on top of hotels, fuel, car hire, food, tolls, flights, covid testing, double-digit inflation, travel disruption ... are you totally sure you want to go anywhere?

Oliverk
24th July 2022, 12:40
Toss up between Croatia and Sardegna. First can be reached by car while the second is not far away from the sea.

Sardegna def not cheap. Plane tickets + rental prices in italy. And eating/drinking is not cheap also.
Couple of years ago it was 300e for tickets and 500€ for car. Apartment across a service park was 800€ for a week. Plus eating ang gas.
But nevertheless i will go again next year. Good rally to spectate in beginning of summer.

wyler
24th July 2022, 14:59
Sardegna def not cheap. Plane tickets + rental prices in italy. And eating/drinking is not cheap also.
Couple of years ago it was 300e for tickets and 500€ for car. Apartment across a service park was 800€ for a week. Plus eating ang gas.
But nevertheless i will go again next year. Good rally to spectate in beginning of summer.

Mmm, not really, you can get much cheaper prices at anything than maybe the car rental and gas.
there are 100€ flights from all over Europe, and a bnb room is about 30/50€ a night in center Alghero!

EstWRC
24th July 2022, 15:01
Mmm, not really, you can get much cheaper prices at anything than maybe the car rental and gas.
there are 100€ flights from all over Europe, and a bnb room is about 30/50€ a night in center Alghero!

everything is different price wise when you go/come from Estonia

wyler
24th July 2022, 15:22
everything is different price wise when you go/come from Estonia

Definitely for the airplane, not so for a hotel room! : )

WRC1
24th July 2022, 17:01
Let's find out!

1. Rallye Monte-Carlo - No, expensive country, snow&ice, sleeping outside for free impossible

2. Rally Sweden - No, snow&ice, sleeping outside for free impossible

3. Croatia Rally - maybe?

4. Vodafone Rally de Portugal

5. Rally Italia Sardegna

6. Safari Rally Kenya - No, too far away

7. Rally Estonia - No, many forum members said that this rally has become too expensive

8. Secto Automotive Rally Finland - No, because pantealex says so ;)

9. Ypres Rally Belgium

10. EKO Acropolis Rally Greece

11. Repco Rally New Zealand - No, too far away

12. RallyRACC - Catalunya Rally de España

13. FORUM8 Rally Japan - No, too far away

It seems Croatia?

sleeping outside for free in RallyMonte Carlo is very common....did it since 20 years now and still alive!

MentalParadox
24th July 2022, 19:42
I spectated Rally Belgium last year. Paid for stage access (which was close to 100 euro) on Friday and Saturday, but slept in my car (I drove there myself). Parked in a quiet and abandoned place on the outskirts of the city and slept in the trunk. I think I spent more money on stageside beer and hotdogs than on anything else.

DoN_cz
25th July 2022, 06:19

Regarding eating/drinking in Sardegna - you can do it the cheap way (just like we did) and buy your food from supermarket and cook it yourself. We had appartment from thursday (so we missed shakedown) till monday and it cost us about 250 EUR. The plane tickets differ from where you are flying. We are Czechs, but we flew from Katowice (Poland), because of the price. So probably the most expensive thing is the car + gas, but if you are going to split that between few people, then it shouldn't be a problem.

Fredouye
25th July 2022, 21:47
Let's find out!

I’ve slept in my car for the past 6 Monte, even by -15 degrees :D

kiwigazza
30th July 2022, 22:26
A quick reply of my costs so far this year

Rally Portugal

Car rent 143eu (3 days centuaro)
Hostel 25 eu per night
Ryanair to Porto

Safari Kenya

550 Amsterdam- Nairobi return
150 3d/2n rally tour, bazenga wild safaris (Facebook) camping, food and transport
22 per night accom Nairobi embassy hotel
50 - visa

Finland - next week

80eu/night apartment Muurame Thurs-sun, 50 for other days
24eu car per day + .27 per km
90eu for rally pass?
Can camp in forest ...

Sent from my CPH2069 using Tapatalk

J4MIE
31st July 2022, 22:17
If anyone wants advice for the Safari, I’m happy to help and have some contacts in the area ;)

Jarek Z
1st August 2022, 12:46
If anyone wants advice for the Safari, I’m happy to help and have some contacts in the area ;)

I assume sleeping outside for free impossible?
https://www.discoverwalks.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/1620px-lions_family_portrait_masai_mara-1024x683.jpg

Jarek Z
1st August 2022, 12:47
sleeping outside for free in RallyMonte Carlo is very common....did it since 20 years now and still alive!

I’ve slept in my car for the past 6 Monte, even by -15 degrees :D

You guys mean a camper?

kiwigazza
1st August 2022, 14:44
I assume sleeping outside for free impossible?
https://www.discoverwalks.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/1620px-lions_family_portrait_masai_mara-1024x683.jpgNot completely impossible but not recommended..need to watch yourself after dark in Kenya. Is plenty of cheap campsites along south side of lake naivasha (fish eagle, fisherman's, carnelly) and also Punda Milias on north side highly recommended. All about $8 a night camping

Sent from my CPH2069 using Tapatalk

WRC1
1st August 2022, 17:46
You guys mean a camper?

no! normal Road car (Skoda Octavia...) 2 people can perfectly sleep and NO it isn´t that cold during th nights....and if...just switch on the car for 10min and everything is fine ;)

wyler
2nd August 2022, 08:42
no! normal Road car (Skoda Octavia...) 2 people can perfectly sleep and NO it isn´t that cold during th nights....and if...just switch on the car for 10min and everything is fine ;)

Let's talk about it! :D

Couple of nights in a tent in the snow with -10, let me decide for airb&b ever after!
(couple of years in a renault megane too!)

ps: + police shaking the tent at 5 a.m to tell we need to leave at 7...

J4MIE
2nd August 2022, 18:02
I will always remember spectating in Norway 2009 and it was about -25C during the day, then got talking to a German guy next to us who’d driven up and was sleeping in his car overnight :eek:

I am a committed car camper when I have to (which is most of the time, given my (lack of) budget), but that might just be too much hardcore for me :crazy:

I’ve camped in Finland, Acropolis and Monza and all easily doable.

Booking ahead seems to be the key thing to get the best prices.

Not completely impossible but not recommended..need to watch yourself after dark in Kenya. Is plenty of cheap campsites along south side of lake naivasha (fish eagle, fisherman's, carnelly) and also Punda Milias on north side highly recommended. All about $8 a night camping

Yes that’s pretty much what I’d recommend, they have decent food available too. The first time I visited Kenya we stayed in a Banda at Fisherman’s Camp which was cheap and cheerful (if you ignore the mossies :crazy: ) I’ve also flown to Kenya for something like £270 previously so it can be done fairly cheaply! The main thing to watch out for is the (terrible) traffic on South Lake road on Friday/Saturday evenings, I’d even recommend going the long way around the lake to avoid it. But if you can miss visiting service then you should be ok.
Of course it’s hard to avoid the cost but even one day visiting a Safari park before/after the event - my favourite place on the planet is Nakuru which isn’t too far away and think it is $80 for a day pass. I’d sell a kidney to visit if I could! Mega place.
And of course there are more expensive accommodation/tourist packages available ;) Just bear in mind late June is just about the start of the high season over there.