PDA

View Full Version : Don't quit your daytime job.

Glee
19th May 2007, 00:19
Making a living by driving rally can be hard. But what do rally drivers have as a plan B if everything fails?

I know that Colin McRae was a plumber and Petter Solberg a painter (however I don't know if he has a education as a painter).

Is there anyone who can extend this list over the drivers "civilian profession"?

jparker
19th May 2007, 03:38
I think my first rally hero Fabrizio Tabaton is pharmacist.

raybak
19th May 2007, 05:17
Simon Evans in Australia is a concreter, he's also now got his brother Eli working for him, they did a story about them on RPM the other day.

Ray

grugsticles
19th May 2007, 05:24
Ive been under the impression that a lot of Scandinavian drivers are farmers ie. Tommi, Marcus

shurik
19th May 2007, 07:28
I have an impression that only theree or four drivers wrc are make living by driving and rest is paying money, and this trend is true down to national groups.. Though you can make some money on side projects - car tuning, sports preparation, training, etc

Livewireshock
19th May 2007, 08:04
Chris Atkinson was a financial planner & stock broker on the Gold Coast.

shurik
19th May 2007, 08:22
Loeb was electrician before going pro

Ranger
19th May 2007, 08:47
Loeb was electrician before going pro

Wasn't he also a gymnast?

And Atko has a Uni degree in commerce, or at least was studying it before rallying took over his priorities.

Woodeye
19th May 2007, 11:50
Marcus Grönholm was a farmer, Tommi Mäkinen was a farmer, KKK was a farmer and I think Ari Vatanen was a farmer also. Got the picture? :)

Priorat
19th May 2007, 11:51
King Carlos is a king. That means living the live.
Joking. He has some small business and teachers his daughter to ride a bicycle

WRC2006
19th May 2007, 13:25
Marcus Grönholm was a farmer, Tommi Mäkinen was a farmer, KKK was a farmer and I think Ari Vatanen was a farmer also. Got the picture? :)

This is true, because all these drivers are among the best drivers in WRC and being farmer means they got used with trucks since their childhood (2,3.. years old) while accompagning their farthers and grand farthers in the farms!!!

If you can driver a truck in narrow and impraticable roads in farms, how can't do it in proper road where everything is clear?!

Like Brazil produce best footballers, Scandinavians countries produce best drivers in all racing and rally championships!!!!

Glee
20th May 2007, 00:24
Most of the drivers has some sort of education before they became full time drivers. Sebastien as an electrician was new to me, but Chris being an stock broker was something I have heard of before.

Does anybody know the background to the co-drivers?

Mihai
20th May 2007, 07:13
Ilka Minor-Petrasko (Stohl's co-driver) is some sort of civil engineer in Austria. She actually takes a week off to go to a rally with Manfred. A couple of years ago, Stohl came in Romania for an OMV exhibition and I asked him about Ilka and he said she couldn't come because she's working.

PuddleJumper
20th May 2007, 13:30
I seem to recall one of the Finnish drivers sells boats. Is it Harri Rovanperä? I guess there will be quite a lucrative market for them considering how many lakes there are in Finland. :p :

Woodeye
20th May 2007, 17:51
Yep. Harri sells boat nowdays in Jyväskylä. That's the firm in the link.

http://www.jyvasmarine.com/ajankohtaista.php

If someone knows Jani Soininen, former ski jumping WC, he's working there also. And former co-driver Timo Hantunen seems to be there also, although I'm not 100% sure if he's THE Timo.

Zico
20th May 2007, 18:04
King Carlos is a king. That means living the live.
Joking. He has some small business and teachers his daughter to ride a bicycle

Wasn't Carlos a champion Squash player also?

Mihai
20th May 2007, 18:21
Carlos Sainz comes from a wealthy family. I strongly doubt he had a secondary job to support himself. And he plays football whenever has the chance. He was quite good at when he played in the drivers' team.

Magnus
20th May 2007, 18:22
carlos also have some education/degree of juridics.
P Solbergs co driver, forgot his name, used to be a Volvo-mech.

WelshLegend
20th May 2007, 18:46
carlos also have some education/degree of juridics.
P Solbergs co driver, forgot his name, used to be a Volvo-mech.

Don't you mean Phil Mills :D

MJW
20th May 2007, 19:13
Don't you mean Phil Mills :D

And it was a Honda dealership that he worked in not Volvo.

jonas_mcrae
20th May 2007, 20:48
also some of them used to motocross riders, Gigi and villagra i think, maybe someone else too

Zico
20th May 2007, 20:51
also some of them used to motocross riders, Gigi and villagra i think, maybe someone else too

Colin and Allister too.. something Colin still does in his spare time for fun.

jonas_mcrae
20th May 2007, 20:56
well then motocross is a good way to start LOL, look at pastrana too

Zico
20th May 2007, 20:58
Isnt that what they say about bikers.. they are better practiced at reading the terrain?

Erki
20th May 2007, 21:02
Jutta Kleinschmidt used to work as an engineer in BMW.

Glee
20th May 2007, 23:40
Henning Solbergs Co driver Cato Menkerud owns and run a petrol station in he's hometown Lillehamer.

WRXedUSA
21st May 2007, 01:25
Statoil!

janneppi
21st May 2007, 07:56
Grönholm rode bikes too, i think he switched sports after messing up his knee or something.

Ranger
21st May 2007, 08:40
Grönholm rode bikes too, i think he switched sports after messing up his knee or something.

I somehow can't imagine a 6'5" guy on a dirtbike. :\

Fischer
21st May 2007, 09:40
Didier Auriol was an ambulance driver before he started rallying :D

blu_for_subaru!
21st May 2007, 13:34
I read somewhere that Carlos Sainz was good enough to play for Real Madrid football team

imull
21st May 2007, 14:10
he plays for Real Masters (senior) team still doenst he?

Certainly trialled for Real when he was younger. Also drove in F3 as well I think as well as being a national squash champion and being good at everything else he tries...

Glee
21st May 2007, 21:15
Amazing carer and achievement for Carlos Sainz
Remind me of Chuck Norris (http://www.chucknorrisfacts.com/).

Maybe we should start rallydriversfacts.com?

Glee
21st May 2007, 23:01
Maybe we should start rallydriversfacts.com?

What about: Sebastien Loeb doesn't make mistakes, he just let other catch up...

Eki
26th May 2007, 17:54
There was someone called Pykälistö on TV today. He won a drag race. They said he was a former rally driver.

Josti
26th May 2007, 18:19
There was someone called Pykälistö on TV today. He won a drag race. They said he was a former rally driver.

He's test driver for Citroën and unemployed rallydriver.

Tomi
27th May 2007, 20:49
He's test driver for Citroën and unemployed rallydriver.

how can he be unemployed rallydriver if he gets money from citroen because he drives their rallycars

Josti
28th May 2007, 00:58
how can he be unemployed rallydriver if he gets money from citroen because he drives their rallycars

I already knew it sounded kind of strange :p :

Anyway, he's not an active driver is what I meant to say.

duff
28th May 2007, 01:36
Carlos studied law, and Luis Moya studied medicine before their rally careers.

proco2020
28th May 2007, 20:02
Dave Richards Accountant, Howard Davis Gas Man. Isn't Robert Reids family into farming?

Flyinglex
31st May 2007, 14:20

Wow, I'm gonna be WR champion.Such shocking news :cool:

gloomyDAY
18th April 2008, 04:44
He's been involved with Subaru for a few years, but his off-time dealings are amazing.

http://www.marca.com/edicion/marca/otros_deportes/otros_deportes/es/desarrollo/1045591.html

Moya swam across the Strait of Gibraltar to raise money for Cocina Económica de La Coruña (charity involved with feeding and clothing the poor). His father, former president of Cocina Económica, passed away and as a tribute to his legacy Luis raised money by swimming across the strait. Apparently the strait is about 14km, but there was a strong current and Luis ended up swimming more than 20km.

Check out the video of him chatting about the charity! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsXGKARnZJg)

Not bad for someone in their late 40's.

Viking
18th April 2008, 07:53

Also Henning and Petter comes from a farm.

“Petter paint” (early nickname) was a painter (as in painting houses), I think his boss said once that he was not very effective as he was spending most of his time with his mobile phone chasing sponsors and stuff :D

tmx
18th April 2008, 09:17
He's been involved with Subaru for a few years, but his off-time dealings are amazing.

http://www.marca.com/edicion/marca/otros_deportes/otros_deportes/es/desarrollo/1045591.html

Moya swam across the Strait of Gibraltar to raise money for Cocina Económica de La Coruña (charity involved with feeding and clothing the poor). His father, former president of Cocina Económica, passed away and as a tribute to his legacy Luis raised money by swimming across the strait. Apparently the strait is about 14km, but there was a strong current and Luis ended up swimming more than 20km.

Check out the video of him chatting about the charity! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsXGKARnZJg)

Not bad for someone in their late 40's.

Never heard about that, impressive.

OldF
18th April 2008, 19:13
This is one of Marcus business nowadays. http://www.sagen.fi/

Timo Rautiainen was a information security manager at Kesko (retail and wholesale company like Migros, Carrefour, Tesco etc.) before his co-driver career.