PDA

View Full Version : Zulu Rally 2007

Grant_RSA
19th May 2007, 00:00
South Africa's WRC candidate event takes place next weekend, i was disappointed to see that no European teams have made the effort to attend. It is also a round of the African Championships!

At least we have our own S2000's to provide a spectacle, i wonder if Fiat etc were scared off last year, when the Punto did nothing in the few stages it completed.

info on the event will be available on http://www.rallysouthafrica.com

i really hope we make it to the end of this event, have had 2 DNF's so far this season, when in good positions.

Livewireshock
19th May 2007, 07:38
It should be interesting. I hope that South Africa gets the big tick in the box for a WRC round. It deserves it.

It would be a more stable round than the Kenyan round has proven to be in the past few years.

milly
19th May 2007, 12:19
Apparently last year's event got a very poor report within FIA - but it was in IRC last year, so that's why some of the Europeans came over.

However, WRC does need a good rally in Africa - especially now that IRC has Safari.

Grant_RSA
19th May 2007, 16:41
Milly, i would be interested to know where you heard about the "poor"report?

According to some of the organisers i know very well, the running of the event was 100% according to the FIA, only a few small petty things that needed to be sorted out.

I would like to read what the problems were, or what was poor, or is it just rumours that have made the rounds.

From what i have read the Europeans didnt really make an attempt to the African IRC round this year in Kenya!!!

Livewireshock
21st May 2007, 15:09
Any results from the weekend????

Grant_RSA
21st May 2007, 16:38
Rally is this coming weekend!

Livewireshock
22nd May 2007, 02:17
Whoops, days running into each other!

bowler
22nd May 2007, 03:44
no longer a candidate event. Withdrawn application.

Livewireshock
22nd May 2007, 10:07
no longer a candidate event. Withdrawn application.

That is astounding.

When did this happen & what was the rationale?

Was it a case of too many events chasing the same thing, ruling out stable inclusion. Finances on investment would be hard to return without a secure spot on the calendar.

Grant_RSA
22nd May 2007, 12:29
Finances,

its so embarrasing, i dont really want to discuss it! to have this happen so close to the actual event is mind boggling. Anyhow the event will happen , running as a round of the SA Rally championships, and Africa champs

Livewireshock
22nd May 2007, 23:59
That is indeed a sad thing to hear. I hope that this does not create a sour taste in the powers that be. Praise must be given for taking such a brave step, despite how painful it is.