PDA

View Full Version : What happens now?

Scheckterfan54
18th May 2007, 00:50
Well, in the past two days, two unqualified cars have crashed into the safer barrier ( or the soft wall as rusty says). Anybody know if the 77 car will return, and if so, with who in the cockpit? Also, who has a prediction as to who will be the first driver to be told to report to the pits because they are going to slow. I predict Marty Roth. Apparantly a partial Indy car series schedule still hasnt helped the canadian figure out how to press the throttle down all the way.

Alexamateo
18th May 2007, 01:03
PDM and Kite will be fine, but Gregoire is probably out with cracked vertabrae. His team has a backup chassis and there was some talk that Roberto Moreno would try to qualify the backup. Well now he just might be the main guy. Supersub Pupo comes to the rescue again! :p :

RGM Fan
18th May 2007, 01:20
I also had a question.

If you have to be within 10 mph of the leader to stay on the track why don't you have to have a four lap average of 10 mph of the pole speed to qualify. I mean I know the answer, but it seems to me that if you can't get within 10 mph on pole day in qual trim and a light fuel load you aren't ever got to get there on race day.

Scheckterfan54
18th May 2007, 05:35
Brilliant! But, TG will never let it happen.

Jonesi
18th May 2007, 06:11
I also had a question.

If you have to be within 10 mph of the leader to stay on the track why don't you have to have a four lap average of 10 mph of the pole speed to qualify. I mean I know the answer, but it seems to me that if you can't get within 10 mph on pole day in qual trim and a light fuel load you aren't ever got to get there on race day.

I don't think that would matter that much. The front row looses the most speed from qualifing to race set up.

Komahawk
18th May 2007, 08:42
Gregoire has NOT crashed into the SAFER barrier. He drifted through T1 and strangely crashed right on the straigt between T1 and T2. The impact didn't look severe, the car was hardly damaged. If there was any further proof that we need SAFER all around the track, here you go.

ChampUSfan
18th May 2007, 18:53
Roberto Moreno is gonna replace Gregoire in the 77. I've just heard it watching practices.

RGM Fan
19th May 2007, 00:01
Is there a minimun qualify speed? It looks like a number of cars are going to be 10 mph or more slower than pole time so could like someone run 150 average and make the show or is there some minimun standard they have to meet?

Also what happens if one of the 11 cars crashes in qualifing? Is there any rule stating that you have to finish a four lap run or just attempt one since there would be no one to bump them?

Jonesi
19th May 2007, 01:04
Is there a minimun qualify speed? It looks like a number of cars are going to be 10 mph or more slower than pole time so could like someone run 150 average and make the show or is there some minimun standard they have to meet?

Also what happens if one of the 11 cars crashes in qualifing? Is there any rule stating that you have to finish a four lap run or just attempt one since there would be no one to bump them?

It isn't a valid qualifing run without four laps.

There is a minimum speed (which of course has changed over the years) It's usually about 5-10 mph under the eventual bump speeds. Last I read a few years ago, it was 205.
Looking at the latest weather forcast, 30% chance of rain for bump day (and 60% for race day) If the weather is ok tomorrow, teams will go with any over the minimum speeds to fill the field, then if there's rain on Sunday it doesn't matter. (Actually IMS officials would probably be happier with a rained out bump day, than a nice day that only 2 or 3 cars try to bump in.) If the field isn't filled by end of Sunday, then they will run qualification on Monday, etc until the field is full. If they go to an extra day, I don't recall if they run the whole day or just once through the order. (It's been years since it happened.)

indycool
21st May 2007, 01:39
There is less than seven miles an hour between Castroneves pole speed and RFoth's slowest speed -- 225.817 to 218.922. It is the seventh closest field in the 91 runnings of the "500." For those of you inclined to do so, find something else wrong.

Colsanders
21st May 2007, 15:34
It is a spec series now - every car has the same (with one or two exceptions) chassis and every car has the same leased Honda engine. Why should the speeds vary?

indycool
21st May 2007, 15:36
Drivers. Preparation.

Alexamateo
21st May 2007, 15:51
I would add fit, finish and attention to detail. Did you see the close-up of PDM's car? There's a small raised ridge running down the center of the nose on the car. Well, where the nose piece joined up with the cowling, it jogged over 3/8-1/4 of an inch. In other words, it wasn't perfectly straight. Do you think Penske,Target are AGR would send a car out like that. Not to mention all the data, springs, shocks etc. Heck, look how far out AGR was last year when they lost their HP advantage. They've bounced back now.

libra65
22nd May 2007, 20:33
How they fit them out in race trim is huge. Also, some driver's prefer a "loose" set up dome don't. Then the driver has to be able to adapt to the changes the cars go thru as the race goes on when temperature & humidity change. Some adjust better than others. Experience is a huge factor. Some drivers & owners (read Penske here) can read this track better than others.

xtlm
22nd May 2007, 21:38
Why are the speeds different?

Because ovals are that easy to drive and tune for.

45 Below
22nd May 2007, 22:40
Why are the speeds different?

Because ovals are that easy to drive and tune for.

I would have thought that would have made the speeds more similar ... or are you being a tad sarcastic.

indycool
22nd May 2007, 23:33
Just a touch sarcastic, IMO......is it time AGAIN to hear the "100 percent throttle, no driver talent, anyone can do it and real road racers turn right and left and brake and are far more talented BS?" Do we HAFTA do all that nonsense again?

xtlm
23rd May 2007, 01:50
indy - yep then nope(lol)
45 - yep then yep

45 Below
23rd May 2007, 02:08
My bad ... a bit slow on the uptake today.

Probably not enough methanol in my ethanol.