PDA

View Full Version : State Of Origin 2007

millencolin
17th May 2007, 15:23
I know that being an international forum here that a football competition consisting of two australian states isnt going to gauge much interest here but i thought i'd start up the 2007 State Of Origin thread.

For those who dont know, State Of Origin is a 3 game battle of Rugby League supremecy between Queensland and New South Wales. These games are above your average Rugby League game, it is the toughest, hardest, and without a doubt best games of 'footy' you will see anywhere. the battle has been going on for 26 years and no one state has reigned supreme for a long period of time. and the rivalry between the two states, their teams, and most importantly, their supporters is just immense. One of the best sporting rivalrys in the world. State of Origin is more than just winning or losing, its pride on show. Pride for your state and pride for your jersey (maroon for QLD, blue for NSW). these games are bigger than any international rugby league game! Its mate vs mate, state vs state. Doesnt matter if the other guy plays for the same club, you will smash him no matter what!!! thats what state of origin is all about!!!

Right now im decked out, maroon to the core! im so excited for the first game, i really wish i had tickets to go but i couldnt afford them when they came on sale.

Who here will be watching? Who will you be cheering for? I know Jaws is a avid New South Welshman...

here are the lineups for both teams (and in brackets their clubs)... Queensland, the defending champions, have stuck with a side that is basically the same side that won the shield for them last year. While NSW has made quite a few changes and gone for a more 'attacking' lineup

QUEENSLAND
Karmichael Hunt (Broncos), Brent Tate (Broncos), Steven Bell (Sea Eagles), Justin Hodges (Broncos), Greg Inglis (Storm), Darren Lockyer (c, Broncos), Johnathan Thurston (Cowboys), Steve Price (Warriors), Cameron Smith (Storm), Petero Civoniceva (Broncos), Tonie Carroll (Broncos), Carl Webb (Cowboys), Dallas Johnson (Storm)
Interchange: Shaun Berrigan (Broncos), Jacob Lillyman (Cowboys), Nate Myles (Roosters), Neville Costigan (Raiders)

NEW SOUTH WALES
Anthony Minichiello (Roosters), Matt King (Storm), Jamie Lyon (Sea Eagles), Matt Cooper (Dragons), Jarryd Hayne (Eels), Braith Anasta (Roosters), Jarrod Mullen (Knights), Brent Kite (Sea Eagles), Danny Buderus (c, Knights), Brett White (Storm), Nathan Hindmarsh (Eels), Willie Mason (Bulldogs), Andrew Ryan (Bulldogs)
Interchange: Luke Bailey (Titans), Steve Simpson (Knights), Anthony Tupou (Roosters), Kurt Gidley (Knights)

Personally, i think the QLD selectors may have cocked up. Look at our bench! its full of forwards! Sure Berro isnt a forward, but he's a hooker that replaces Smith when he needs a break! we have no one to cover the back line! what if hunt or hodges gets injured? then what do we do? the thing is that we have 2 great players who could have filled that void! Billy Slater and Matt Bowen! both have been in great form! i think that Slater should of been on the wing and bowen on the bench as that 'impact' player.

As For NSW. they have so much depth, they lose a player, someone can easily fill the void. They do have a much stronger forward pack than Queensland but the thing they lack is in the halves. Mullen and Anasta... Mullen is an unproven talent and i applaud NSW selectors for going out on a limb here. they could of chosen the safe option in Kimmorley, but they took this new kid who has been playing great footy and threw him into the deep end. lets see how he rolls. But Anasta as Five-Eighth... for gods sake give up on Braith!!! Why do people think he is good? its just mindboggling... plus look who they are against! Darren Lockyer and Johnathon Thurston!!! This is where i think QLD has the game winning hand, a halves combination that is by far the best in the world and have worked together on several occasions. they can read eachothers plays now.

all i can say is BRING IT ON!!!!

QUEENSLANDER!!!

Mark in Oshawa
17th May 2007, 15:39
Outside of Australia, the world looks on...wondering what they know that we don't? Course, I get stoked to see my hometown Oshawa Generals play their arch rivals up the road in Peterborough ( the Petes ) in Junior Hockey. Anytime you have a "Hatfields and McCoy's" kind of situation, it always makes for great sport. That said, State of Origin wont be on the TV up here any place, but I do know the "World Sports Report" on Toronto's FAN590 will tell me what happened.

millencolin
17th May 2007, 16:05
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rugby_League_State_of_Origin

this might give you an idea behind state of origin...

and for a video of some videos

Queensland winning game one in the 2005 series in overtime
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCfOLyR-TAg

one of the greatest individual trys in origin history by Billy Slater
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3LGTuJcbt4&mode=related&search=

This video really shows the passion showed by both teams, putting thier bodies on the line... basically its the best tackles in origin. I apoligise though for the terrible music... but watch it as the last tackle is one of the greatest youll ever see
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=1031466148

Jaws
18th May 2007, 02:10
Sorry for taking so long to reply my Banana Bending Buddy.

Generally I think your comments are right. I cant believe that QLD left out Bowen, he is just too good.

I agree with Anasta, he sucks bigtime, I just hope he has a decent game, but I worry about how he will gel with Mullen.

In any case, I'm looking for a close contest with a NSW win :up: Go the Blues

PS - A mate of mine asked me if I wanted to go see Broncs vs Manly on Monday night, I said there is no point if the great man isn't there. You know who I mean - Number 6

millencolin
18th May 2007, 03:14
PS - A mate of mine asked me if I wanted to go see Broncs vs Manly on Monday night, I said there is no point if the great man isn't there. You know who I mean - Number 6

hahaha thats true... watching him live is just awesome. but the Broncos have a habit of winning during origin. The 'Baby Broncos' always seem to hold their own...

heck they couldnt do any worse as our top level players are doing right now :p :

Jaws
18th May 2007, 05:31
Just remember who the 2006 Premiers were mate. It's a long long season, plenty of Footy to be played.

I am still hopeful the Eels can do their usual 2nd half year revival.

millencolin
18th May 2007, 09:42
Just remember who the 2006 Premiers were mate. [/QUTOE]

Thats right, thats the only thing getting me through this season

I am still hopeful the Eels can do their usual 2nd half year revival.

im sure they will... im hoping the same happens for the Broncos a.k.a Season 1999...

millencolin
24th May 2007, 03:26
Game One in the book... and the winner is

QUEENSLAND

What a game, NSW were on top at half time, but the boys in maroon fought back and stole victory... Hayne sealed it for QLD by giving the ball to Lockyer and saying 'here, have a free try' :p :

classic game, enjoyed with many MANY XXXX's afterwoods, i feel a bit shakey now

BRING ON GAME TWO I SAY

NinjaMaster
24th May 2007, 11:54
I love the State of Origin. Even though I'm Victorian (Go you mighty Storm! We was robbed last year! :laugh: ) I've followed the SoO for years and have always backed the Canetoads. Game 1 was an absolute cracker and had everything that is expected of an origin match. Crunching tackles, blistering runs and a Queensland comeback. Brilliant. :up:

Jaws
25th May 2007, 05:18
Congrats Millsy. Best team won.

Hopefully we can regroup for Origin II. Anasta still worries me, was he there in the second half??