PDA

View Full Version : [WRC] Safari Rally 2022

Pages : [1] 2 3

AnttiL
1st February 2022, 09:25
https://dirtfish.com/rally/wrc/longer-route-revealed-for-2022-safari-rally/

a 363 km route is planned with two new stages (two of the most technical stages dropped). Most of the extra kilometres come from the 96 km Sunday.

djip
1st February 2022, 17:59

a 363 km route is planned with two new stages (two of the most technical stages dropped). Most of the extra kilometres come from the 96 km Sunday.

I wish they would have made 3*100km stages, or at least 5*60 to recapture some of the safari spirit. The wRC needs diversity, not only of the background picture ! some short sprints, some endurance events, some classics ... This cloverleaf, all-the-same format is killing the sport. You could be anywhere it is just the same.

AnttiL
1st February 2022, 18:12
I wish they would have made 3*100km stages, or at least 5*60 to recapture some of the safari spirit. The wRC needs diversity, not only of the background picture ! some short sprints, some endurance events, some classics ... This cloverleaf, all-the-same format is killing the sport. You could be anywhere it is just the same.

You mean the rally would consist of 3 or 5 stages only?

the sniper
2nd February 2022, 01:48

Good on them for attempting to push through the ridiculous 350km limit, whether the FIA/Promoter play ball could be a sign of future intent.

AnttiL
2nd February 2022, 06:49
Good on them for attempting to push through the ridiculous 350km limit, whether the FIA/Promoter play ball could be a sign of future intent.

IIRC Mouton or Todt even asked for a longer itinerary from them a couple of years ago? However, this is still within the normal WRC format. Any other WRC event could do the same, and has been done during 2015-2018 (earlier years had more freedom with the itineraries).

the sniper
2nd February 2022, 14:54
IIRC Mouton or Todt even asked for a longer itinerary from them a couple of years ago? However, this is still within the normal WRC format. Any other WRC event could do the same, and has been done during 2015-2018 (earlier years had more freedom with the itineraries).

But in real terms, all the other rallies have just got shorter, with 363km being relatively longer, but just around the average length of a rally in the period when Mouton or Todt asked for the Safrai to go longer still...

WRCStan
2nd February 2022, 15:07
This cloverleaf, all-the-same format is killing the sport.

People were saying this twenty years ago yet it's still here and a world-class 'classic' series still hasn't appeared.

AnttiL
2nd February 2022, 15:38
But in real terms, all the other rallies have just got shorter, with 363km being relatively longer, but just around the average length of a rally in the period when Mouton or Todt asked for the Safrai to go longer still...

Average length has been close to 300km for 10 years. Rallies over 350km have been rare exceptions.

rallyfiend
2nd February 2022, 15:51
I think you'll find the event organisers are not that keen to push the limit of stage mileage.

Where do you think these limits come from?

Every mile costs money to run. Lots of money.

the sniper
3rd February 2022, 01:21
Average length has been close to 300km for 10 years. Rallies over 350km have been rare exceptions.

To be fair, you're not not wrong on the former point, but up until 2017, it wasn't unusual to have at least five rallies over 350km per season. '17 & '18 we had three, then things started going really downhill from '19 onwards, largely due to Covid lately, admittedly. 363km in 2016 was not particularly special though.

AnttiL
3rd February 2022, 07:05
To be fair, you're not not wrong on the former point, but up until 2017, it wasn't unusual to have at least five rallies over 350km per season. '17 & '18 we had three, then things started going really downhill from '19 onwards, largely due to Covid lately, admittedly. 363km in 2016 was not particularly special though.

I wanted to check this so I made this chart

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FKqDRa2WUAAbmxN?format=png&name=medium

In 2016 363 km Safari would have been the sixth-longest event.

Last event to be over 400 km: Argentina 2014
Last event to be over 500 km: Argentina 2012 (the previous is Safari 2002, previous "normal" event Argentina 1996)

AnttiL
3rd February 2022, 07:08
One more thing about this 363 km Safari: I don't want to hear anyone complaining on Sunday when they have those 96 km to go, differences are in minutes, half the cars in super rally and the two stages before power stage are just tyre saving cruising.

RAS007
4th February 2022, 18:56
363km, eh? Who said endurance events were dead? 🙄

WRCStan
4th February 2022, 22:10
I wanted to check this so I made this chart

Following the trend it looks like we'll hit zero in 2033!

Top work Antti.

AnttiL
5th February 2022, 05:29
Following the trend it looks like we'll hit zero in 2033!

Top work Antti.

No, it’s already going upward, the 2022 events known so far average to 325 km

EstWRC
26th May 2022, 06:05
Ogier will be back behind the wheel again for Toyota

Danny0405
26th May 2022, 11:40

Loeb is also evoked for Safari (but not confirmed yet)
One of the 3 rallies he didn’t win in career (with Chile and Poland but he did all of them only 1 time)

AnttiL
27th May 2022, 07:55
Loeb confirmed

https://www.wrc.com/en/news/2022/wrc/legend-loeb-confirms-safari-comeback/

Andre Oliveira
27th May 2022, 18:43
https://www.ewrc-results.com/entries/73362-safari-rally-kenya-2022/

34 entries

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FTyShZ1XoAE-lCV?format=jpg&name=large

EstWRC
27th May 2022, 23:42
Wow 34. Massive

pantealex
28th May 2022, 07:57
https://www.ewrc-results.com/entries/73362-safari-rally-kenya-2022/

34 entries

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FTyShZ1XoAE-lCV?format=jpg&name=large

actually better than last year:
11 WRC, now 12 Rally1
8 Rally2, now 10
4 Rally3, now 5
number on NAT cars is dropped, fact is that 10y old Mitsu/Subaru doesn't belong to WRC anymore.

WRCStan
1st June 2022, 16:14
Little surprised nobody sorted out a WRC2 Teams entry given the new bonus rule. Although the most likely candidates just aren't at the races anyway.

Danny0405
1st June 2022, 22:36
Little surprised nobody sorted out a WRC2 Teams entry given the new bonus rule. Although the most likely candidates just aren't at the races anyway.

No big interest for Toksport considering the cost of sending cars in Safari and they are quite sure of winning the title with their two teams even if the first team has not started well (+ they could still found, if really needed, an agreement with Kovalainen and the other Skoda Japanese guy for Rally Japan who will probably be the only Rally2 guys in Japan). It’s better to focus on the Open and Junior championships where there is still competition (and also maybe the integration of the new Skoda car).
Sainteloc could have tried to convince one local guy as Johnson is going there. But with Camilli leaving the team, they have no more hope to win it and will probably not make other event as a team (only using Johnson). And other teams seem to have abandoned the team championship (no 2nd driver with Cais in Portugal and Sardinia for Yacco, same for M-Sport with Huttunen in Sardinia).

The only remaining competitor for Toksport is Hyundai ... with Zaldivar as the second driver (eventually, if they still have an hope to win, they could make a tactical move in Rally New Zealand as Paddon is supposed to do it with Hyundai Rally2, even by taking a guy with another brand car as nothing forbids it)

Danny0405
1st June 2022, 23:08
To be noticed in RC2, the move from Kajto is interesting. I thought he would be too short for championship contention but with a bit of luck in his two first rallies and if he doesn’t mess up in Safari, he will be in contention with Mikkelsen, Suninen and Rossel. But Safari is always a risk as it is tougher than standard rallies.

For the rest of the list, the number of locals is really reduced compared with last year, even Rai and Tundo are missing. The only positive is that the international entries are not absolutely awful for an extra-European round (WRC + Kajto, Gill, Prokop, Dominguez, Johnston).

240RS
6th June 2022, 10:44
After Hyundais success in Italy, we could be heading for the most open round of the series this year with more than eight drivers in with a chance of outright Safari victory.

All four Toyota drivers can realistically win. Katsuta must fancy his chances after a strong performance in 2021. The two lead Hyundais start every event with huge expectations. Oliver Solberg had a fraught event last year and may be the only one looking light.

Ford have arguably their biggest chance of the year. With the exception of Breen, the other three all have Safari history and could press for a major result.

Can't wait :)

J4MIE
12th June 2022, 08:23
Well I haven’t been on here for many many many years :eek:

I don’t like people moaning about length of events. Any rally in the world isn’t quite as long as it was in the past. Sanremo doesn’t go to Tuscany, GB doesn’t go around GB, Monte Carlo doesn’t have starting points across Europe, the Circuit of Ireland isn’t much of a circuit of Ireland, Rally New Zealand doesn’t go around the whole of the North Island. And you know what? There are many historic events that do exactly this, so get over it :p

I will enjoy every single km of the Safari this time… :rotate:

Sergiow
12th June 2022, 09:26

Meanwhile in Le Mans, Ogier is doing not that good, he has done so far 98 laps with a best lap of 3:35.582 and his team mate Charles Milesi (last year lucky winner in LMP2 class) has done a best of 3:33.761 => Ogier was complaining already that there is no fair comparison with his team mate since he is not that tall as him so have much less weight to carry. But that does not explain a difference of 1.8 seconds in lap time. Tyre management and the skills passing the slower GT cars have to be taken in amount too. The current top runners in LMP2 class with the same Oreca Gibson have done their best laps in the 3:31 bracket. I do not consider Ogier as a worthy WEC driver for the official Toyota squad. Either he goes back full time to WRC or follow the footsteps of Loeb

AndyRAC
12th June 2022, 11:07
I haven't been blown away by his performance, but he's massively disadvantaged due to lack of seat time; however there is the possibility that he's just not suited to it. It's an obvious statement, but it's a very different discipline. At the moment you wouldn't be putting him in a LMH Toyota.

240RS
14th June 2022, 12:55
Toyota appear to have cleverly improvised a Safari PET in Sardinia!!!!!

https://www.wrc.com/en/news/2022/wrc/lappi-crash-has-silver-lining-for-toyota/

cali
14th June 2022, 14:11

I don’t like people moaning about length of events. Any rally in the world isn’t quite as long as it was in the past. Sanremo doesn’t go to Tuscany, GB doesn’t go around GB, Monte Carlo doesn’t have starting points across Europe, the Circuit of Ireland isn’t much of a circuit of Ireland, Rally New Zealand doesn’t go around the whole of the North Island. And you know what? There are many historic events that do exactly this, so get over it :p

I will enjoy every single km of the Safari this time… :rotate:Welcome back J4MIE!

Sent from my DN2103 using Tapatalk

J4MIE
14th June 2022, 20:16
Welcome back J4MIE!

I will be co-driving in car no 41 so will see what I can report..... probably very rough :p: Luckily I've done a few of the stages on previous Safari Rallies, and know the area quite well, so calming the nerves a bit...

Hopefully be an updated entry list soon. Raaji Bharij (#23) has had to withdraw as his Skoda seems to have missed the shipping connection so won't arrive in time :(

The organisers announced a National event a few days ago but I haven't heard any details about it.

My friend on the ground says the rains arrived late this year and it's still raining every day, so will be interesting to see what happens over the next week or so...

AnttiL
15th June 2022, 15:31
https://itgetsfasternow.com/2022/06/15/route-preview-safari-rally-2022/

Route preview. The two new stages are driven on proper gravel roads so the nature of the rally changes a bit, especially with the most sinuous forest track stage Chui Lodge being removed.

J4MIE
15th June 2022, 18:32
Spectator Guide
https://www.safarirally.co.ke/wp-content/uploads/2022/06/WRC-2022-Safari-Rally-Spectator-Guide-1-copy.pdf

mknight
15th June 2022, 19:17

Route preview. The two new stages are driven on proper gravel roads so the nature of the rally changes a bit, especially with the most sinuous forest track stage Chui Lodge being removed.

Too bad, I liked Chui Lodge since it was so different.

J4MIE
15th June 2022, 23:35
Too bad, I liked Chui Lodge since it was so different.

Agree, I liked the look of the stage and always nice to have a bit of variety, not just from event to event but within events too.
I'll be staying at Chui Lodge so would've been perfect for day 1 recce to start a few hundred metres away :crazy: But get that for recce day 2 at Oserian I guess :p:

Organisers confirmed me today so just waiting for an amended entry list, shame I miss having my name in the program etc :( I fly out on Friday just before it all kicks off, think I am just about prepped for the rally but I better start packing :crazy:

AnttiL
16th June 2022, 06:35
I think Oserian is quite similar to Chui Lodge, just not as slow and twisty. But I like the variety that the two new stages bring for being run on roads as opposed to off-road tracks. In a way it's more like the old Safaris. You have a road but you still can't go flat out because there's potholes and dips.

Tom K
16th June 2022, 09:52
Antti - great job as always. Only one remainder - shakedown in Safari is on Wednesday.

AnttiL
16th June 2022, 12:08
Antti - great job as always. Only one remainder - shakedown in Safari is on Wednesday.

You're right! And super special kicks off already on Thursday afternoon! I need to fix that, thanks!

er88
16th June 2022, 14:45

Route preview. The two new stages are driven on proper gravel roads so the nature of the rally changes a bit, especially with the most sinuous forest track stage Chui Lodge being removed.Great detail about the stages again Antii. A tiny suggestion I'd have for future (which you're obviously entitled to ignore), is to maybe include the exact stage length - either next to the stage names or after the full description of the stage.

I know you touch on the lengths of the stages and go into great detail about how a stage changes character at a certain point, or turns off onto a new piece of road at x km etc etc, but sometimes after reading a stage description I'm still left wanting to know the exact length :)

AnttiL
17th June 2022, 11:50
Great detail about the stages again Antii. A tiny suggestion I'd have for future (which you're obviously entitled to ignore), is to maybe include the exact stage length - either next to the stage names or after the full description of the stage.

I know you touch on the lengths of the stages and go into great detail about how a stage changes character at a certain point, or turns off onto a new piece of road at x km etc etc, but sometimes after reading a stage description I'm still left wanting to know the exact length :)

Yeah, would be a nice addition but I guess I always assume the reader has the full itinerary at hand through my rally-maps link or something else. Copying the lenghts would take some extra work from my limited time. :) Also, sometimes the stage lengths change slightly at the last minute so I don't want to supply false information. But thanks!

J4MIE
19th June 2022, 05:52
Last night we got told we had been dropped down to the National event due to issues with tyres. After me explaining how they meet all the regulations, they have reluctantly let us back in :crazy:

Rain forecast for the event. Bring it on! Just about to head to Naivasha for documentation.

EstWRC
20th June 2022, 12:34
Safari Rally 2022 Recce Interviews with Loeb, Ogier and more https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBFwUxSXoas

Fast Eddie WRC
20th June 2022, 12:37
Kajto recce clip showing the fesh-fesh...

https://twitter.com/Kajto_pl/status/1538813694309810177?s=20&t=alRCDj3xRKLPrhDUh5MBkw

J4MIE
20th June 2022, 14:33
Can’t believe the amount of messing around we are having. Yesterday the Organisers switched us to the national event without telling us, then this morning confirmed all was ok for the WRC, we signed on and got all the documents, stickers etc but they said they had assigned a different car number.

Now halfway round recce we are told that we’re doing the national event. Even giving an additional receipt for the tyres they’re still not happy and I’ve no idea what’s going to happen now.

Fuming doesn’t come close…..

J4MIE
20th June 2022, 14:35
PS anyone that comes out of sleeping warrior without at least one puncture is very very lucky indeed…. Rough as hell.

Eli
20th June 2022, 15:04
Hey guys, a little bit off topic here, does anyone know if any of the teams did PET for Kenya?

jmwachuya
20th June 2022, 16:50
PS anyone that comes out of sleeping warrior without at least one puncture is very very lucky indeed…. Rough as hell.What's is your car number Jamie, I will be manning Elrmentaita stage, hope you liked it..

Sent from my CPH1725 using Tapatalk

dimviii
20th June 2022, 17:02
Hey guys, a little bit off topic here, does anyone know if any of the teams did PET for Kenya?

https://twitter.com/SaintelocRacing/status/1538925931456233472

J4MIE
20th June 2022, 19:16

There was a WRC2/WRC3 test at Chui Lodge on Sunday. Manufacturers not allowed to test outside Europe.

J4MIE
20th June 2022, 19:42
What's is your car number Jamie, I will be manning Elrmentaita stage, hope you liked it..

Its certainly one of the best views on the rally. Sadly due to the issues we only got a single pass :(
We were meant to be 41, then were given 113, but I’m still not sure to be honest, the situation is completely ridiculous.

Eli
20th June 2022, 19:53
There was a WRC2/WRC3 test at Chui Lodge on Sunday. Manufacturers not allowed to test outside Europe.

Thanks, forgot about that one.

Also, Good luck in the event!!!

Fast Eddie WRC
21st June 2022, 11:29
Safari-spec Puma ;)

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FVxPBX3WAAAtSQX?format=jpg&name=large

Rallyper
21st June 2022, 14:25
Don´t forget about Pickems. Closing time 1300 hrs CEST Thursday.

J4MIE
21st June 2022, 19:25
So. We finished recce today and drove back to service, and I went straight to the stewards for a last gasp attempt to be reinstated into the WRC event. I explained the situation and series of events to Timo who sent a report to the stewards, who convened a meeting and we had a call to confirm that we are back in :D

We just need to scrutineer at 9am tomorrow morning, then they’ll issue an amended (amended) entry list.

Can’t wait - just hope all these issues hadn’t disrupted our recce :(

Rallyper
22nd June 2022, 07:14
SD: Why do they use aero which scooping up gravel in every corner? Haven´t they learnt anything?

Hartusvuori
22nd June 2022, 07:42
SD: Why do they use aero which scooping up gravel in every corner? Haven´t they learnt anything?

Someone with better knowledge should correct if I'm wrong, but afaik the cars must leave the service looking like the car on the homologation documents. There are no Safari Rally specials, in reference to the shape of front of the car, for example. In a way the cars are a compromise for every event and they can only work within the limits of set ups.

J4MIE
22nd June 2022, 08:55
Someone with better knowledge should correct if I'm wrong, but afaik the cars must leave the service looking like the car on the homologation documents. There are no Safari Rally specials, in reference to the shape of front of the car, for example. In a way the cars are a compromise for every event and they can only work within the limits of set ups.

Correct - they can only add some front protection, plus an extra opening (maybe a snorkel). Otherwise standard Rally1 car for every other round.

J4MIE
22nd June 2022, 08:57
Pleased to say we have scrutineered, all is ok and there’s a second amended entry list. So I can go back to being nervous rather than stressed about all the hassle we’ve had…

https://storage.googleapis.com/download/storage/v1/b/sportity-storage/o/62ea727c-b4b3-4ab6-993e-9859acce0969%2F6654dbe5-9999-4466-bcff-ed093dbfb2db_Second%20Amended%20Entry%20List.pdf?g eneration=1655885838035133&alt=media

:bounce:

Fast Eddie WRC
22nd June 2022, 09:59
Looks so rough for this edition if SD is anything to go by. Survival of the car is probably going to be key and a steady speed will bring a top result.

Fast Eddie WRC
22nd June 2022, 10:09
:D

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FV2V4AcXoAE8-uJ?format=jpg&name=medium

svstock
22nd June 2022, 12:31
Your pick!
https://strawpoll.com/polls/e2navYXXAgB OVERALL WINNERS (closes 24.06.2022 at 8:00)
https://strawpoll.com/polls/poy9R1k4JnJ POWER STAGE WINNERS (closes 26.06.2022 at 14:00)
Vote now!

Fast Eddie WRC
22nd June 2022, 14:00
Safari "even more challenging" is the driver consensus this year:

https://www.autosport.com/wrc/news/ogier-more-challenging-wrc-safari-rally-will-be-all-about-survival/10326741/

dimviii
22nd June 2022, 16:46
Oliver Solberg
@OliverSolberg01
·
6h
Shakedown done for us �� we had some issues this morning but got them fixed now (slow time on last run due to having to pass a car!), and it's good to get our first taste of the @wrcsafarirally
stages. You can see how difficult they are! ��⬇️

pantealex
23rd June 2022, 07:04
Your pick!
https://strawpoll.com/polls/e2navYXXAgB OVERALL WINNERS (closes 24.06.2022 at 8:00)
https://strawpoll.com/polls/poy9R1k4JnJ POWER STAGE WINNERS (closes 26.06.2022 at 14:00)
Vote now!

Got to love this, Serderidis has more votes than Kalle :)

Fast Eddie WRC
23rd June 2022, 09:25
I see from SD that the Hyundai cars again have flashing headlights to warn/ scare the wildlife. I good idea I think, so a pity the others haven't done the same.

Rallyper
23rd June 2022, 11:24
Oliver going too wide. Not good if he continue doing that

Rally Hokkaido
23rd June 2022, 11:43
Kalle nearly tipped it over! EDIT; knocked a tyre off a rim.

AnttiL
23rd June 2022, 11:48
Uh oh Kalle!

Eli
23rd June 2022, 11:59
Uh oh Kalle!

That was a close one, lucky to get away with it & only to lose 11 seconds to Ogier.

Sergiow
23rd June 2022, 13:13
Rovanperä Moment on SS1: WRC Safari Rally Kenya 2022
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/uKgaky95n7I

Fast Eddie WRC
23rd June 2022, 14:48
On SD the Puma didnt have a cut-out at the bottom of the front splitter, that it had on SS1..

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FV7_p8oWYAAl_F1?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FV4DwYIX0AIV8CC?format=jpg&name=large

Toyota & Hyundai did, but smaller:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FV7ctSKWYAAsf7w?format=jpg&name=large

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FV7ctSEWYAAK_dW?format=jpg&name=large

J4MIE
23rd June 2022, 15:05
Shambles here. Timing marshals simply don’t have a clue what they’re doing, I was trying to check in to TC1 before the super special and they kept on saying I’d get a provision start time when they were ready to give it to me. Was about 10 marshals there and I had to shout ‘who is doing the time control’ and just couldn’t get an answer. Then someone told me that it doesn’t matter :crazy:

Simply not WRC standard.

Then on reaching parc ferme well ahead of due time, I give them the time I want (18.03) and they didn’t understand this is the time they write down. They insisted on writing down the actual time, so most people are 1hr+ early.

I have to say I’m feeling very underwhelmed with it all right now. Small off in the stage cost us about 10s but we need to improve.

AnttiL
23rd June 2022, 15:49
Shambles here. Timing marshals simply don’t have a clue what they’re doing, I was trying to check in to TC1 before the super special and they kept on saying I’d get a provision start time when they were ready to give it to me. Was about 10 marshals there and I had to shout ‘who is doing the time control’ and just couldn’t get an answer. Then someone told me that it doesn’t matter :crazy:

Simply not WRC standard.

Then on reaching parc ferme well ahead of due time, I give them the time I want (18.03) and they didn’t understand this is the time they write down. They insisted on writing down the actual time, so most people are 1hr+ early.

I have to say I’m feeling very underwhelmed with it all right now. Small off in the stage cost us about 10s but we need to improve.

Good luck for tomorrow! Hopefully you'll have time to report here how it's going :)

er88
23rd June 2022, 17:18
Seems a bit quiet on here the last few days. Surely will come alive tomorrow morning :)

focus206
23rd June 2022, 18:19
Predictions on which SS will Neuville's Hyundai fall apart? My instinct tells me SS9.

J4MIE
23rd June 2022, 19:36
There was some rain in Naivasha today and more forecast over next few days. Was gridlocked when we were leaving so the fans will surely be out in force again!

Rally Hokkaido
24th June 2022, 04:15
Good afternoon from Japan, who is going to join the chat for today's action? Hopefully, rain yesterday will keep the dust down today. SS4 looks to be the most challenging in terms of survival, today.

wwbroe
24th June 2022, 04:40
Good morning guys, looking forward to today's action:)

Fast Eddie WRC
24th June 2022, 04:51
Morning ! 6.00am UK and first of the silly o'clock starts. ;)

J4MIE
24th June 2022, 04:51
Rain dries quickly here so I’m still expecting full dust. SS2 some bits are quite sheltered from wind so might cause issues?

Kedong will still be a dust bowl - big section of very deep sand about 70% of way through.

Fast Eddie WRC
24th June 2022, 04:53
Kalle in the stage and no coverage.

E. On now.

wwbroe
24th June 2022, 05:05
Tanak allready with some issue

EstWRC
24th June 2022, 05:07
The quality is amazing

Tauri_J
Why Oh god its always Tänak??

Fast Eddie WRC
Unbelievable.

Eli
24th June 2022, 05:08
This is something you expect a Citroën would do.

jcevc
24th June 2022, 05:08
This is not real.

Tauri_J
24th June 2022, 05:11
Lol fastest in the 2nd split

EstWRC
24th June 2022, 05:11
And he has taken 3 secs back. Lol

Tauri_J
24th June 2022, 05:12
I hope they have some heavy duty duck tape

EstWRC
24th June 2022, 05:13
Lost 5 secs now with 3rd split

Fast Eddie WRC
24th June 2022, 05:15
Snapped off now.

wwbroe
24th June 2022, 05:18
Really great quality in Hyundai pieces

Rally Hokkaido
24th June 2022, 05:18
Ott "driving an automatic car now!"

TypeR
24th June 2022, 05:19
Somebody should make a gif of that :D

Fast Eddie WRC
24th June 2022, 05:23
Wow go Elfyn !

dimviii
24th June 2022, 05:23
Somebody should make a gif of that :D

https://twitter.com/HMSGOfficial/status/1540204344867430402

Rally Hokkaido
24th June 2022, 05:25
CAUTION: Elderly driver about to win stage EDIT No, he has a rear puncture

wwbroe
24th June 2022, 05:25
Elfyn is doing great splits

wwbroe
24th June 2022, 05:30
Tire gone for Seb?

Rally Hokkaido
24th June 2022, 05:32
Tire gone for Seb? Just bodywork damage

Rallyper
24th June 2022, 05:36
Morning guys.
As Neuville also speaked about problems with gearshift, I wonder if they´d got a common cause failure (CCF) here...?

Fast Eddie WRC
24th June 2022, 05:42
Morning guys.
As Neuville also speaked about problems with gearshift, I wonder if they´d got a common cause failure (CCF) here...?

Gearbox oil came from his car.

wwbroe
24th June 2022, 05:42
The "old" man did it again, even if he hit a small three

Rally Hokkaido
24th June 2022, 05:43
Morning guys.

Not sure, however it was reported that gearbox oil was on the ground at Stop Control after Neuville left.

Fast Eddie WRC
24th June 2022, 05:43
0.5s between the top 3 on SS2 is amazing.

Rallyper
24th June 2022, 05:50
Not sure, however it was reported that gearbox oil was on the ground at Stop Control after Neuville left.

Oh,dear!

240RS
24th June 2022, 05:51
Loeb and Ogier may drag the serious championship contenders into a fight they can't afford. This will be interesting.
Hyundai, though, appear to be in a fight for survival

RS2500
24th June 2022, 06:11
No Kiri Bloore again ???

TypeR
24th June 2022, 06:15
,,The quality is amazing'' vol 2 gif
https://gfycat.com/miserablegracefulhartebeest

Rallyper
24th June 2022, 06:20
Ott with new "gearstick"... :)

TypeR
24th June 2022, 06:23
Tanak using joker that was meant for second half of the season..
Lug wrench as a gear lever
https://www.upload.ee/image/14260048/Screenshot_20220624-092653_WRC.jpg

Tauri_J
24th June 2022, 06:24
Scary cut by breen

RS2500
24th June 2022, 06:27
doubles as a tyre iron ;)

wwbroe
24th June 2022, 06:39
Seems to be a good run trough from Kalle, still fastest

Tauri_J
24th June 2022, 06:41
Any bets who will be first in trouble on the longest stage?

EstWRC
24th June 2022, 06:42

Ott

TypeR
24th June 2022, 06:44
Ott

He has quite a nice head-start for that :D

jonkka
24th June 2022, 06:44
Ott

Does that count as he already is in trouble? :D

Rally Hokkaido
24th June 2022, 06:45
He has quite a nice head-start for that :D

Yes, I can't wait to see what he will try to use as a gearstick for SS4.

wwbroe
24th June 2022, 06:51
Toyota 1,2,3,4 on this stage, unless Fourmaux can do something about that

wwbroe
24th June 2022, 07:05
Fourmaux couldn't do anything about it

jonkka
24th June 2022, 07:08
And now the long one - I expect some drama there.

Doon
24th June 2022, 07:08
Is it me, or is Jourdan Serderidris the only driver in a WRC1 car who's actually enjoying this event?

meh
24th June 2022, 07:16
Is it me, or is Jourdan Serderidris the only driver in a WRC1 car who's actually enjoying this event?

Others have job to do, he came to enjoy and he is doing it well :)

Tauri_J
24th June 2022, 07:16
Looks like Tänak's on the edge

Tauri_J
24th June 2022, 07:19
Tänak Lost a LOT getting lost on his on dust

Tauri_J
24th June 2022, 07:21
Jesus, this is a proper safari

Rally Hokkaido
24th June 2022, 07:22
Face full of fesh-fesh for Kalle

Rallyper
24th June 2022, 07:23
And now a short brake...

wwbroe
24th June 2022, 07:23
No more live images?

Rally Hokkaido
24th June 2022, 07:26

Neuville!

Eli
24th June 2022, 07:27
Down to 3 cylinders?

Rallyper
24th June 2022, 07:27
Neuville lost 54 secs on some mysterious fault. Let´s hear:

"No power..."

J4MIE
24th June 2022, 07:28
SS2 cancelled for us just when we arrived at the TC :(

Fast Eddie WRC
24th June 2022, 07:28
No power for Neuville

jonkka
24th June 2022, 07:29
SS2 cancelled for us just when we arrived at the TC :(

Who is us?

Tauri_J
24th June 2022, 07:32
They not better cancel the 2nd pass, dont care how bad it is

EstWRC
24th June 2022, 07:32
Such a shame Ott got lost in his own dust. Was making a mega time here

Tauri_J
24th June 2022, 07:41
Loeb losing a lot

wwbroe
24th June 2022, 07:42
Loeb losing a lot
Indeed, allready half a minute down on Kalle

Rallyper
24th June 2022, 07:45
Is it even healthy breathing that dust...

wwbroe
24th June 2022, 07:53
Bad luck for Gus ,standing still before finish, flat tire

Tauri_J
24th June 2022, 07:53
I hope Serderidis wont get stuck, he's really bad in these tight sections and could stall

Fast Eddie WRC
24th June 2022, 07:58
Bummer for Gus, was doing well.

And now Loeb could be in trouble.

wwbroe
24th June 2022, 07:58
Ogier with no power at the end as well, just like Neuville and now also Oliver

Rallyper
24th June 2022, 07:59
Not only one gets in trouble here on 4th stage...

Safarirally isn´t for WRC cars. It´s only sweet memories from a ancient time long gone... Let´s skip it next year...

240RS
24th June 2022, 07:59
Toyota 1-4
Ford 5-6
Hyundai 7-8

Eli
24th June 2022, 08:00
Not only one gets in trouble here on 4th stage...

Safarirally isn´t for WRC cars. It´s only sweet memories from a ancient time long gone... Let´s skip it next year...

Or maybe let the cars more modification for this rally.

Tauri_J
24th June 2022, 08:02
Ott's actually lucky, with easier problem than other guys.

Rallyper
24th June 2022, 08:02
Or maybe let the cars more modification for this rally.

That´s what I mentioned at the SD... those front spoilers are too low for this rally.

meh
24th June 2022, 08:08
Serdenidis is lost in many places, some Karmageddon spec already

Fast Eddie WRC
24th June 2022, 08:08
Ominous for Loeb, cant start the engine.

er88
24th June 2022, 08:09
Listen to these big babies. Man up and get on with it. It's Safari, I don't care how tough it is. Shut up and find a way to survive.

If they cancel the 2nd pass then don't bother coming back to Kenya again, if you want a nice easy European style event

Doon
24th June 2022, 08:10
It's remarkable that the organisers thought these stages would hold up for two passes. The tail end of the field wont even complete a stage this afternoon.

Tauri_J
24th June 2022, 08:12
Listen to these big babies. Man up and get on with it. It's Safari, I don't care how tough it is. Shut up and find a way to survive.

If they cancel the 2nd pass then don't bother coming back to Kenya again, if you want a nice easy European style event

This, Safari is all about survival.

Tauri_J
24th June 2022, 08:14
Rally2 cars looks to handle fesh fesh a lot better. Rally1 just too heavy and larger in dimensions which doesnt help imo.

Fast Eddie WRC
24th June 2022, 08:17
Extra weight another drawback of these hybrid cars. WRC2 cars more nimble.

meh
24th June 2022, 08:18
Rally2 cars looks to handle fesh fesh a lot better. Rally1 just too heavy and larger in dimensions which doesnt help imo.

They are maybe more on the realistic spec side, not too low and in submarine (sub-fesh-fesh) mode.

Rallyper
24th June 2022, 08:18

I think they haven´t learnt anything from last year. Those of you who praise Safari rally should be advisers to the teams how to build a proper Safari car...

240RS
24th June 2022, 08:21
Mindset is still on Euro-spec. They need to recalibrate. Only Fourmaux, surprisingly, is in mode

Tauri_J
24th June 2022, 08:24
I think they haven´t learnt anything from last year. Those of you who praise Safari rally should be advisers to the teams how to build a proper Safari car...

They cant build a safari spec. Even If they could its pointless. Its so short compared to olden days and only one of these in calendar with no extra points awarded for Safari.

Rallyper
24th June 2022, 08:29
They cant build a safari spec. Even If they could its pointless. Its so short compared to olden days and only one of these in calendar with no extra points awarded for Safari.

A roof air intake isn´t that hard to get going.

Corcaíoch
24th June 2022, 08:32
Missed about 30mins of coverage, did Loeb continue again after stage end?

jmwachuya
24th June 2022, 08:43
Missed about 30mins of coverage, did Loeb continue again after stage end?Yes ...he has sorted out

jmwachuya
24th June 2022, 08:49
Yes ...he has sorted out

Sent from my CPH1725 using TapatalkLoeb has retired...

Fast Eddie WRC
24th June 2022, 08:51

Toyota has huge Safari history and experience to draw on and look they are the top 4 cars. M-Sport doesnt have the budget to do more, so the only one to criticise is Hyundai (again).

Fast Eddie WRC
24th June 2022, 08:51
Loeb has retired...

Argh no. :(

Sulland
24th June 2022, 09:00
Who is us?

He has told us, but I missed it as well!!
Very best of luck, and enjoy the adventure!!!

""Thanks :up:

I will be co-driving in car no 41 so will see what I can report..... probably very rough :p: Luckily I've done a few of the stages on previous Safari Rallies, and know the area quite...
""

I will enjoy every single km of the Safari this time… :rotate:

Fast Eddie WRC
24th June 2022, 09:03
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FWAVwADXoAAuekI?format=jpg&name=medium

Eli
24th June 2022, 09:03
Loeb has retired...

Conformation from the team?
Edit: yeah, just saw Loeb explaining what happened to Dirtfish, says it's over.

Rallyper
24th June 2022, 09:08
Toyota has huge Safari history and experience to draw on and look they are the top 4 cars. M-Sport doesnt have the budget to do more, so the only one to criticise is Hyundai (again).

Think that is an big overstatement.

Toyotas heritage is forgotten inhouse, so I think everyone was on step one last year. The cars are simply not built for these hard conditions and why they haven´t adapted might as well be FIA´s fault. I don´t know.

Seeing this mornings failures gives even more reasons to stop the Safari adventure for coming years...

denkimi
24th June 2022, 09:24
Neuville in the Media Zone: "Problems already in the start of the stage, I was losing power. We carried on, in the sandy part it got worse and in the end we had no power at all. My air filter box came loose and obviously all the sand went in."

So either crappy design by hyundai, or crappy service by the team. Nothing to do with it being rough.

jonkka
24th June 2022, 09:26
He has told us, but I missed it as well!!

I suspected that since I recently added co-driver named Jamie for crew #41 (was TBA on original entrylist). :D

Sergiow
24th June 2022, 09:43
Neuville in the Media Zone: "Problems already in the start of the stage, I was losing power. We carried on, in the sandy part it got worse and in the end we had no power at all. My air filter box came loose and obviously all the sand went in."

So either crappy design by hyundai, or crappy service by the team. Nothing to do with it being rough.

I would definitely go with crappy service by Hyundai team. Just check this team preparation video for Rally Italia Sardegna WRC 2022 on 2:48 where a mechanic is tightening the hub assembly with just one arm using the other arm to handle his phone https://youtu.be/UD0cOG44eEw?t=168

seb_sh
24th June 2022, 10:06
So many issues. Seems it's partly the cars but also some drivers are pushing like it's in Europe.

Fast Eddie WRC
24th June 2022, 10:08
Think that is an big overstatement.

Toyotas heritage is forgotten inhouse, so I think everyone was on step one last year. The cars are simply not built for these hard conditions and why they haven´t adapted might as well be FIA´s fault. I don´t know.

Seeing this mornings failures gives even more reasons to stop the Safari adventure for coming years...

And I think yours is a big over-reaction.

Rallyper
24th June 2022, 10:11
And I think yours is a big over-reaction.

Well, everything is relative.

Fast Eddie WRC
24th June 2022, 10:16
Well, everything is relative.

Yes. And remember in the old Safari the cars got more servicing with teams helicopters following them.

Plus the current cars can break on any rough rally.

Sergiow
24th June 2022, 10:25
Meanwhile some news from closed circuit racing that might have an inpact on WRC: Ogier drops out of Richard Mille WEC squad (https://www.motorsport.com/wec/news/ogier-exit-chatin-richard-mille/10327290/)

WRCStan
24th June 2022, 10:26
What's happened Per, you were cheerleading for Sardinia to be cancelled too. What would be left? ;)

Tauri_J
24th June 2022, 10:30
Katsuta flying

Fast Eddie WRC
24th June 2022, 10:31
Toyota's showing the way again.

Rallyper
24th June 2022, 10:31
What's happened Per, you were cheerleading for Sardinia to be cancelled too. What would be left? ;)

For different reasons.
There´s many candidates.

Tauri_J
24th June 2022, 10:36
Evans in trouble

J4MIE
24th June 2022, 10:40
SS4 also cancelled for us.
Still, as long as Ogier doesn’t have to wait, that’s what really matters.

wwbroe
24th June 2022, 10:47
Fourmaux has also some kind of issue

wwbroe
24th June 2022, 10:48
Stopped in the stage now

Rallyper
24th June 2022, 10:48
Fourmaux in trouble. Strange sound in car. Stopped. Maybe only puncture?

Edit: No puncture. Continuing slow, same sound...

Tauri_J
24th June 2022, 10:51
Fourmaux in trouble. Strange sound in car. Stopped. Maybe only puncture?

More like suspension

WRCStan
24th June 2022, 10:52
Did anybody catch the flashing display between and behind Fourmaux and Coria's seats? What is that?

Tauri_J
24th June 2022, 10:53
M-Sport in shambles

Eli
24th June 2022, 10:55
M-Sport in shambles

An event to forget for the blue oval team.

doubled1978
24th June 2022, 11:00
And like that, MSport imploded.
Breen must be thinking when for me?

1988senna
who know how is the tomorrow weather

Fast Eddie WRC
WRC2 cars seem more reliable, or being driven to survive.

Fast Eddie WRC
24th June 2022, 11:16
Fourmaux out... no surprise.

denkimi
24th June 2022, 11:28
Yes. And remember in the old Safari the cars got more servicing with teams helicopters following them.

Plus the current cars can break on any rough rally.
Well, perhaps we should get the service after every stage back when we want to keep rough rallies.

PLuto
24th June 2022, 11:39
Well, perhaps we should get the service after every stage back when we want to keep rough rallies.

Or we will learn drivers that on rough rallies it is not the best idea to go flat out all the time...

seb_sh
24th June 2022, 11:53
Or we will learn drivers that on rough rallies it is not the best idea to go flat out all the time...

indeed

Even in this shorter form, the main thing on the Safari is to find the right pace.

jonkka
24th June 2022, 11:57

And then we could rebrand WRC as the World's Worst Driver? /s

I am sorry to say but that doesn't sound appealing at all.

Rally Hokkaido
24th June 2022, 11:59
indeed

Even in this shorter form, the main thing on the Safari is to find the right pace.

At the lunchtime interview, Seb Loeb was asked to compare this Safari with those of old. He replied that it was as rough as before, maybe rougher and he didn't recall the fesh-fesh being so bad in the past. Lastly he said 'these car are too low!'

focus206
24th June 2022, 12:03
Predictions on which SS will Neuville's Hyundai fall apart? My instinct tells me SS9.

I clearly overestimated Hyundai's reliability yesterday...

Rallyper
24th June 2022, 12:03
At the lunchtime interview, Seb Loeb was asked to compare this Safari with those of old. He replied that it was as rough as before, maybe rougher and he didn't recall the fesh-fesh being so bad in the past. Lastly he said 'these car are too low!'

Loeb is right.

denkimi
24th June 2022, 12:12

although i agree it's up to the driver to adapt, driving very slow just doesn't fit into the format anymore. It's not an endurance championship anymore.

either you make the cars stronger/give them more service, or you skip the rough rallies, or you tell them to drive like their grandmother. Which one would you prefer?

PLuto
24th June 2022, 12:17
although i agree it's up to the driver to adapt, driving very slow just doesn't fit into the format anymore. It's not an endurance championship anymore.

either you make the cars stronger/give them more service, or you skip the rough rallies, or you tell them to drive like their grandmother. Which one would you prefer?

I prefer to have variability in the events. To have fast gravel, to have slow gravel, to have rough gravel. Same with tarmac or snow and ice. I like when drivers (and also cars) needs to adapt to various conditions.

TWRC
24th June 2022, 12:24

I think they don't need to drive very slow, just find the right balance that gets them to the finish as well as being as fast as possible. Just like with corners, trying to go as fast as possible without crashing.

wwbroe
24th June 2022, 12:25
Is that a spare airfilter that Martin is holding between his legs?:eek:

TypeR
24th June 2022, 12:26
Is that a spare airfilter that Martin is holding between his legs?:eek:
Yes, really smart idea.. hopefully it doesn't break any rules, like open spare parts or smth

WRCStan
24th June 2022, 12:28

I don't tell them anything, if they choose to drive too fast to the conditions and break the car, it is their approach. If driving like Grandmother wins the rally, cool. First and foremost, it's a global, all-rounder championship of rallies using roads from all around the world. Not a specialist rallysprint championship that only uses certain configurations of roads. That's my opinion, not necessarily where it's going, but it's nice to see folk admitting they want this sprint championship, which in my opinion, could exist as a complementary championship(s).

Fast Eddie WRC
24th June 2022, 12:29
Breen stopped. :(

wwbroe
Breen stopped in stage

Tauri_J
Breen out

Wow M sport

jonkka
Yes, really smart idea.. hopefully it doesn't break any rules, like open spare parts or smth

Shouldn't break any rules though I am not sure what you mean by open spare parts? Loose, not tied down? Air filter is easily deformed and difficult to secure without damaging it.

Fast Eddie WRC
24th June 2022, 12:31
Breen moving now though.

Tauri_J
24th June 2022, 12:37
Evans losing a minute

E: rogue split

Fast Eddie WRC
24th June 2022, 12:39
Why didnt they show Breen onboard when he stopped to show if a puncture as I presume ?

er88
24th June 2022, 12:40
Disaster for Msport

Fast Eddie WRC
24th June 2022, 12:41
Finally we see Breen OB.

Tauri_J
Taka in trouble now

Tauri_J
Breen hit like gazillion of stones

Augury
24th June 2022, 12:42
Taka in trouble now

Got stuck in Breens dust presumably.

AndyRAC
24th June 2022, 12:42
I prefer to have variability in the events. To have fast gravel, to have slow gravel, to have rough gravel. Same with tarmac or snow and ice. I like when drivers (and also cars) needs to adapt to various conditions.

Which is what I thought the sport was meant to be about.....They've gone too far the way of 'flat out' speed as though it's a selling point.

Rallyper
24th June 2022, 12:46
Right front suspension broken for Breen?

er88
24th June 2022, 12:47
Right front suspension broken for Breen?Looks like it. What a tinpot showing from Msport

Fast Eddie WRC
24th June 2022, 12:49
Breen crashed acc to Taka.

Fast Eddie WRC
24th June 2022, 12:52
Ogier now stopped ! Why no OB shown ??

Tauri_J
24th June 2022, 12:52
Ogier stopped

wwbroe
24th June 2022, 12:53
What is going on here?

er88
24th June 2022, 12:54
Breen crashed acc to Taka.He was on a straight. It looks like suspension or something broke and veered him into the rocks lining the stage

Tauri_J
24th June 2022, 12:54
Puncture probably

WRCStan
24th June 2022, 12:55
Pirelli slander imminent

Rally Hokkaido
24th June 2022, 12:56
Oliver also stopped briefly.

Eli
24th June 2022, 12:59
Should've never of changed my pickems, and left Kalle in first.

Fast Eddie WRC
24th June 2022, 12:59
He was on a straight. It looks like suspension or something broke and veered him into the rocks lining the stage

I mean earlier before his first stop.

bomber21
24th June 2022, 13:01
I wonder who will remain free of troubles…

wwbroe
24th June 2022, 13:02
Let's see if Taka will get some time back, loosing a lot in the dust of Breen

Fast Eddie WRC
24th June 2022, 13:02
Ouch Seb.

Augury
24th June 2022, 13:03
oo there it is haha

wwbroe
Comment from Ogier: nothing happened but we drive Pirelli

Tauri_J
Pirelli slander imminent

Ding ding, we have a winner.

Rally Hokkaido
Pirelli slander imminent

'Nothing happened we drive (on) Pirelli' lol

er88
24th June 2022, 13:04
Let's see if Taka will get some time back, loosing a lot in the dust of BreenSurely the organisers give him a huge chunk of time back. He's been on the pace

Sulland
24th June 2022, 13:06
Solbergs car looks like a "Mad Max" film car!

seb_sh
24th June 2022, 13:08
At this rate Serderidis will be on the podium!

... behind 2 WRC2 cars! :D

Sergiow
24th June 2022, 13:09
'Nothing happened we drive (on) Pirelli' lol

FYI:
As in Formula 1, do you recommend tire pressures to the teams?
"In Formula 1 what you propose must be respected, here instead we suggest the pressure on, then in the end a lot depends on the choice of drivers. In rallies everything is more difficult than on the track where you can easily control things: and then the driver may have a problem, he has to get out of the car and solve things. In short, the system is completely different, so imposing the controls here would mean entrusting an extra task to the driver, who already has enough. Just see yesterday (on Saturday, ed), with eight tests without being able to assist: so much of the weight goes to the driver. It's tough, so I also understand that sometimes it's pointless to tell the teams to use a certain amount of pressure when they, in their haste, can't do it. However, when hot, depending on the technology and the bottom, our suggestion is to work between 2.3 and 2.5 bar. On all tires."

https://www.quattroruote.it/news/spo...ticolari_.html

focus206
24th June 2022, 13:12
"I didn't expect such a comment from Ogier." - said nobody :D

WRCStan
24th June 2022, 13:19
Serderidis looking like a coal miner there.

dimviii
24th June 2022, 13:19
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FWAttJbXkAAXwBt?format=jpg&name=small

wwbroe
24th June 2022, 13:27
Also Prokop is stopped in the stage, not so far from the end