PDA

View Full Version : Craig Breen

Pages : [1] 2

seb_sh
23rd January 2022, 20:03
I apologize if there's already a Craig Breen Tread, I couldn't find it but maybe I'm bad at searching.

Emotionally I hope Craig Breen wins the 2022 WRC Driver's Championship. I hope he shares his passion and his fun every rally. I hope every stage end interview is him telling how good the car is to drive. I hope every rally is him getting what he can get. I hope he wins a couple. I hope he cries at the end.

AnttiL
23rd January 2022, 20:14
To me it seems he is the perfect second driver, who can get solid podiums, but doesn't have that top gear to fight for wins and power stage points. Let's see if he can find it this year.

Also one downside is that he hasn't done most of the rallies during the past few years. At Hyundai he did only rallies that were suitable to him, usually with a good start position. He hasn't started a single technical gravel rally since 2018.

Morte66
23rd January 2022, 20:14
I am a Breen fan who learned in the school of Meeke fandom.

I hope he has a job next year.

seb_sh
23rd January 2022, 20:21
I know he is not a top driver so far, maybe never, but as I said it's an emotional choice. Also look at MotoGP when Marquez was out and all riders made mistakes, in the end it was one with head on his shoulders that won. You can't say you don't love Craig for his stage end interviews and I like his view on the Monte.

Morte66
23rd January 2022, 21:41
OK, so Craig Breen.

TBH, I'm not sure he's a good second driver. When Adamo hired him to be a safe finisher in Wales a couple of years back, he did that for a few stages then got ideas of competing for the rally and crashed. He needed a stronger sense of priorities. But maybe now he's got a full-time drive and he needs to act all grown up, he will.

Can he compete?
- The Sebs are part-timers.
- Evans has been a level above Breen. Probably out of reach.
- So have Tanak and Neuville, but he can hope they will have car trouble for at least some of the year. He might compete with them.
- Rovanpera is interesting. I think the smart money might be on Kalle, but that's closer. Breen has a dog in that fight, as of today.
- Formaux, Greensmith, Solberg, Lappi... He needs to establish himself as a keeper, ahead of those hopeful/expedient guys. An automatic full season contract renewal. That's what his 2022 is about when you get down to brass tacks.

C'mon Craig.

mknight
23rd January 2022, 22:12
He can have potential to be fast also on slow gravel and on tarmac.

But so far he has very few starts on both.

Monte was one of the rallies where he had less experience than others, but there are many others (Portugal, Sardinia) where he has much less still.

So IMO he is very unlikely to be 2022 champion. But there might be some hidden potential.

Agree that "contract renewal", needs to be his priority. So take it easier and don't crash on rallies like Monte and try to show some top speed on the likes of Estonia and Finland.

lmmjvss
23rd January 2022, 22:12
Nothing will ever beat Craig crying because he "loved the car. Its so fast" (something like that, a few years ago).
I became a fan at that moment! GoCraig!

AnttiL
24th January 2022, 06:43
Breen has a two-year deal at M-Sport so don't worry about next year.

Fast Eddie WRC
24th January 2022, 10:56
The big thing to note about Breen is his steady progression over many years, always step by step.

This means he has not plateaued like many 'quick-risers' and he can still continue to improve yet further.

Morte66
24th January 2022, 11:24
The big thing to note about Breen is his steady progression over many years, always step by step.

This means he has not plateaued like many 'quick-risers' and he can still continue to improve yet further.

Agreed, and I'm hoping for that.

BigWorm
24th January 2022, 12:25
I think he's very good, although in his Hyundai part time driver-days he seemed to fade on Saturdays and Sundays. We will see this year exactly how good he is.

Dirtfish is very much leading the Breen hypetrain as they usually do with some drivers, and I don't really get how they rate him higher than Tänak and Neuville this year. Yes Hyundai is on the backfoot and have to make gains quickly but still.

wia5958
24th January 2022, 12:42
It's 10years since Craig was swrc champion and before that a wrc academy champion I think people don't know or tend to forget he was. That was a season where he beat Hayden paddon and per Gunnar Anderson to the title. Yes he is lacking experience of some future rallys but with good results comes confidence to push that little bit harder and further I think he has potential to push for the title but needs a string of strong composed results to push on and challenge for the title and with full support from msport and I'm sure Malcolm pushing him to go for it he could be a dark horse for this year

denkimi
24th January 2022, 13:32
I'm kinda worried about how easily he was beaten by an old and almost unprepared loeb.

I understand he hasn't done monte for a few years, but still.

wyler
24th January 2022, 13:46
I'm kinda worried about how easily he was beaten by an old and almost unprepared loeb.

I understand he hasn't done monte for a few years, but still.

more worried in the comparison with Greensmith in that respect.
Also a route almost new for everyone...

Sulland
24th January 2022, 15:46
I think Breen will flourish, and grab his number one status in the team.
Loeb and Monte is a special case, so would not read everything into one rally.

Even if Loeb is an amazing driver, the first rally of the rally1 cars is special, and the two other teams will catch up. But so far it looks like that Ford is the best on asphalt.
Lets see how they all compare in Sweden, amd first gravel rally, before we make hard assessments.

er88
25th January 2022, 07:58
Solid if unspectacular start for Breen.

Sweden is a good event for him - one where he maybe felt before the start of the season that he could target his first win on. However another podium would be good too. I can only see Evans, Kalle and Breen potential winners there, considering Hyundai are a bit behind. So if he can get a good setup he could be on for another solid result.

I'm not sure he can fight this year for the title (sure the target is next year), but churning out podiums in the first 2 or 3 events is a good way to start. And hopefully more speed shown in Sweden than in Monte

Mackie
25th January 2022, 08:08
Since neither Leob nor Ogier will start in Sweden, Breen should start first? He has not showed that much pace when cleaning before, has he?

AnttiL
25th January 2022, 08:13
Since neither Leob nor Ogier will start in Sweden, Breen should start first? He has not showed that much pace when cleaning before, has he?

Rovanperä got more points due to power stage win so he starts first

Mackie
25th January 2022, 08:21
Rovanperä got more points due to power stage win so he starts first

That is not something he is used too either?

AnttiL
25th January 2022, 08:30
That is not something he is used too either?

Yeah, only half a stage in Croatia last year...maybe some super rally starts on gravel?

Fast Eddie WRC
25th January 2022, 09:13
There was big pressure on Breen on Monte.

He was finally team leader and all of M-Sport's hard work was on his shoulders. Plus on a tricky rally and which he hadn't done for years and had a big PET crash.

3rd behind the legendary Monte Masters was a great result.

Mackie
25th January 2022, 09:18
There was big pressure on Breen on Monte.

He was finally team leader and all of M-Sport's hard work was on his shoulders. Plus on a tricky rally and which he hadn't done for years and had a big PET crash.

3rd behind the legendary Monte Masters was a great result.

Still, I was expecting a bit more speed. At least in some flashes, did I overlook something?

240RS
25th January 2022, 09:33
Still, I was expecting a bit more speed. At least in some flashes, did I overlook something?

The one thing about Breen's pace was that it was solid, consistent if you like, and never that far off the leading time. On the other hand, you had Greensmith setting a stupendous time on one stage and then going way off on two or three stages thereafter. Breen will be what Thierry Neuville is to Hyundai. Solid, quick and reliable.

AnttiL
25th January 2022, 09:51
The one thing about Breen's pace was that it was solid, consistent if you like, and never that far off the leading time. On the other hand, you had Greensmith setting a stupendous time on one stage and then going way off on two or three stages thereafter. Breen will be what Thierry Neuville is to Hyundai. Solid, quick and reliable.

Not yet. Thierry Neuville can set outrageous stage wins, set the most fastest times in a rally or come back on a power stage even if the rest of the rally went badly. We still need an extra top gear from Breen and we surely didn't see that in Monte. OK, it's a good solid performance from a difficult rally, but the conditions were easier than usually and he was way off the fastest time on the power stage (team decision?).

AnttiL
25th January 2022, 10:11
https://www.rallit.fi/wrc-tahdelta-paljastus-ei-edes-yrittanyt-estaa-kalle-rovanperan-nousua-edelle/

According to this Breen said he deliberately wanted to be slow on the power stage so Kalle would have to open the road in Sweden.

er88
25th January 2022, 10:15
https://www.rallit.fi/wrc-tahdelta-paljastus-ei-edes-yrittanyt-estaa-kalle-rovanperan-nousua-edelle/

According to this Breen said he deliberately wanted to be slow on the power stage so Kalle would have to open the road in Sweden.Good tactic actually.

AnttiL
25th January 2022, 10:31
Good tactic actually.

Not if you lose the championship by two points.

Is second on the road that much better than first? Well maybe if there's fresh snowfall but in normal conditions it shouldn't be that big difference.

I would have understood it better if next rally was Mexico or Sardegna.

er88
25th January 2022, 10:44
Not if you lose the championship by two points.

Is second on the road that much better than first? Well maybe if there's fresh snowfall but in normal conditions it shouldn't be that big difference.

I would have understood it better if next rally was Mexico or Sardegna.Opening the road has been so difficult for Ogier there since 2017, Neuville also struggled without snow in 2020. Maybe that's Msports thinking?

macebig
25th January 2022, 12:19
Rovanpera is the on paper favourite for Sweden, so throwing the ball in his court is good thinking from Breen, considering Finland 2021.

Danny0405
25th January 2022, 13:36
Don’t really think we can evaluate the impact of the road position at this early stage of season.
All the more with the 7-out-of-8 serie of gravel rallies between Portugal and New Zealand.
Too much things to take into consideration to say it has a real impact (ok, maybe he will do better in Sweden, but it means he will have more points after that and maybe a worst road position in a gravel rally than what he should have if he did an average result in Sweden). So, even losing the championship by two points in the end does not mean than you lose it in this power stage in Monte Carlo because all this road position stuff recalculates all during the season.

Personnally, I think these little tricks have no interest before round 10 of the season, all the more with the last 2 rallies being tarmac now (good decision by the FIA and promoter on that point to avoid road position to have an impact on the final rounds; only pure performance).

+ road position in Sweden is not always that simple, depending on the weather.

Also, with Ogier’s retirement, I think an other additional tarmac even instead of a gravel on (replacing Sardinia by San Remo for example) would make sense.

doubled1978
25th January 2022, 14:40
Not yet. Thierry Neuville can set outrageous stage wins, set the most fastest times in a rally or come back on a power stage even if the rest of the rally went badly. We still need an extra top gear from Breen and we surely didn't see that in Monte. OK, it's a good solid performance from a difficult rally, but the conditions were easier than usually and he was way off the fastest time on the power stage (team decision?).

I agree that Breen hasn’t yet shown the last bit to go and win on pace alone, that said, if ever there might be season where outright pace might not be needed to win rallies or even the title, this could be it. The two ‘best’ drivers doing the whole championship are currently in the car with least performance, and who knows what reliability issues anyone else might have through the year. Simply being consistent with a couple of wins, however they are achieved could be enough.

seb_sh
25th January 2022, 15:37
I agree that Breen hasn’t yet shown the last bit to go and win on pace alone, that said, if ever there might be season where outright pace might not be needed to win rallies or even the title, this could be it. The two ‘best’ drivers doing the whole championship are currently in the car with least performance, and who knows what reliability issues anyone else might have through the year. Simply being consistent with a couple of wins, however they are achieved could be enough.

I was thinking the same. Also Evans and Rovanpera could take points from each other.

wia5958
25th January 2022, 17:16
It's like 01 all over again 4 possibly 5 drivers all in with a shout coming to closing rounds I think

focus206
25th January 2022, 18:27
I hope you are all right and we'll get to see a close fight between drivers on different cars as well, but I have the feeling the 2 main Toyotas will pull away... still early, we'll see.

Fast Eddie WRC
26th January 2022, 10:01
https://dirtfish.com/rally/wrc/m-sport-was-very-clear-breen-had-to-bank-points-on-monte/

Sal yet again
27th January 2022, 20:03
I like Craig, he's an enthusiast who has a deep passion for the sport and its legacy. He comes from a rally family and seems as happy driving historic cars as he does the current crop of machinery. On his way up in the BRC he conducted himself with dignity and style and never courted the camera like GG did with his Vettelesque finger gestures.

Big pressure in Monte and it seemed to show at times however he brought it home on the podium and set his stall out for a good championship run. He might go all the way he might not certainly in '22 however I'm sure his paymasters will be happy with the start and in a year where all the teams are roughly on the same footing uncertainty could work in his favour. I find it hard to think that he will throw his toys out of the pram like some of the established guys might when things dont go according to plan as he just seems eternally grateful to have been given the gig.

I'm putting a few quid on him for the title anyways...

EstWRC
28th January 2022, 17:43
To me it seems he is the perfect second driver, who can get solid podiums, but doesn't have that top gear to fight for wins and power stage points. Let's see if he can find it this year.

Also one downside is that he hasn't done most of the rallies during the past few years. At Hyundai he did only rallies that were suitable to him, usually with a good start position. He hasn't started a single technical gravel rally since 2018.

couldnt said it better, at the moment he also seems to me as the perfect second driver. He has the perfect chance this year to prove guys like me wrong.

He used his head well during Monte and got a good result, and this year this tactics can do the work with the cars being so fragile and if you bag constant points.

But the speed was concerning, i mean on friday he was slower than Tänak and Neuville with their unfinished and struggling Hyundais, whilst he was praising the car. And like someone mentioned here, the speed relative to Gus was also worriyng.

But okay, it was just the first rally and he hadnt done it for a while. I expect a top performance from him in Sweden but if the speed also there isnt anything special then its a little worrying.

Sulland
23rd October 2022, 11:58
I think Breen will flourish, and grab his number one status in the team.
Loeb and Monte is a special case, so would not read everything into one rally.

Even if Loeb is an amazing driver, the first rally of the rally1 cars is special, and the two other teams will catch up. But so far it looks like that Ford is the best on asphalt.
Lets see how they all compare in Sweden, and first gravel rally, before we make hard assessments.

I am starting to doubt my own asessment. He has not stepped up his game, to get to a place where fights for podium on a regular basis.

The level btw Breen and Loeb, has not changed much during the year. With so many rallies, and experience in the car, Breen should have moved closer imo.

Looking back in his history, he has not won titles or very many rallies. It also looks like the old Hyundai suites him better than the Puma.

I am guessing that the MSport team will take a full evaluation after the season, and of course have much more hard data to back up their thinking process.

Interessting times ahead in the silly season!

Fast Eddie WRC
27th October 2022, 21:16
Quotes that Breen confirmed he will stay at M-Sport in 2023...

http://iris.cpidt.pt/publishing20/!site.go?publishing=332&p=.20055&id=64711

Sal yet again
24th December 2022, 17:03
Hyundai Canarias hoping for a 2 car programme in next years Canary Islands Championship with Yeray Lemes and ...Craig Breen!

https://automovilismocanario.com/sob...ndai-canarias/

Andre Oliveira
24th January 2023, 11:54
I heard from a good source that Breen will do all Portuguese championship.

AnttiL
24th January 2023, 11:56
Breen will be interviewed tonight by Kristian Sohlberg at 21:00 Finnish time (6 hours from now) https://www.twitch.tv/officialkristiansohlberg

flat_right
24th January 2023, 12:01
Breen will be interviewed tonight by Kristian Sohlberg at 21:00 Finnish time (6 hours from now) https://www.twitch.tv/officialkristiansohlberg

Thanks for letting us know! Haven't watched that before but can audience ask questions?

AnttiL
24th January 2023, 12:18
Thanks for letting us know! Haven't watched that before but can audience ask questions?

There is a chat, not sure if Krisse reads that. You can also try to join his discord to send questions in advance. It could also be that there's no time for audience questions.

EstWRC
24th January 2023, 19:11
anything interesting was told?

bomber21
27th January 2023, 09:02
Breen officialy confirmed for Portuguese Championship 2023 with i20 Rally2!

flat_right
28th January 2023, 10:09
anything interesting was told?

Basically they started from the beginning how every year went and how he got his opportunities in his career. One thing was interesting that when he won WRC academy in 2011, then the prize was €500 000 which they changed in the following year because it was too big money. With that he got to some opportunities for future. Also he said that he got his opportunity to drive Hyundai because his manager (maybe it was somebody else) knew someone from Hyundai and asked if there was some possibility do make some drives for them. Also he initiated the talks with Rich and Malcolm to drive for Ford. They basically didn't discuss the Ford year at all and only said that the result was something that nobody wanted. Then some fan questions and basically was it. Nothing really new or groundbreaking but still interesting.

Sulland
13th February 2023, 05:06
Impressed.

Showes how much gelling with the car means.

In the same Rally, Tanak wins in the Puma.
So now all cars are a potential winner, at least on snow.

Mr Breen, I apologize. Did not think you had it in you anymore, I was wrong!

mknight
13th February 2023, 05:37
I don't agree it is about gelling with the car.
As also other people like DF said he was most of the time at similar pace in the Puma, especially at cleaning rallies and certainly here in Sweden last year.

It seemed that he just got in a vicious circle due to what was expected of him at MSport. Adamo even claimed that he can't handle pressure. Here as a third driver the role is again completely different.

Anyway certainly great job here even with quite a few close calls. The biggest change from before was that usually after good Friday he used to fade quite a bit by Saturday evening, now he stayed in the fight.

cali
13th February 2023, 05:57
I agree, he is no first driver material but 3rd suits him very well. It's kind if takes the pressure away from him and IMHO he lacks developing skills.

But very good rally from him.

Sent from my DN2103 using Tapatalk

jcevc
13th April 2023, 12:21
I really really hope that informations are not true.
Rumours about fatal incident for Craig on PET in Croatia.
Fence in the car.

Myrvold
13th April 2023, 12:25
https://www.24sata.hr/news/tragedija-na-reliju-tijekom-trening-voznje-vozac-izletio-s-ceste-zabio-se-u-stup-i-poginuo-903864

First news article I've seen about it.
Some say Sordo.

Regardless, it seems like there's been a bad accident.

urabus-denoS2000
13th April 2023, 12:27
Croatian news sites report from the local police administration that there has been a fatality on PE testing today. I really hope it isn't true, but we can only wait for official news.

er88
13th April 2023, 12:39
Oh f*ck no

Managarium
13th April 2023, 12:41
unofficially Craig has died

here are pictures https://www.zagorje-international.hr/2023/04/13/teska-nesreca-na-testnoj-voznji-za-wrc1-poginuo-vozac/

philippebugalski
13th April 2023, 12:44
Can confirm from Croatia PET a very sad news that Craig Breen had fatal accident this morning, Co-driver Fulton is unharmed.

Very sad day for rally motorsport.

Rest in peace Craig, hope You are smiling frome above

EstWRC
13th April 2023, 12:46
please dont be true, this cant be

er88
13th April 2023, 12:46
This is absolutely tragic. Rally is in mourning. Thoughts are with his friends and family.

Fast Eddie WRC
13th April 2023, 12:50
Just heard... cant believe it.

RIP Craig... reunited with his co-driver Jaffa.

AnttiL
13th April 2023, 12:55
Terrible news, I'm speechless

Rallyest
Wow, such horrific news, if that is true it is truly horrific, RIP

Him and Jaffa are racing on the clouds together now

MartijnS
Ohh men..terrible news..

flat_right
13th April 2023, 12:56
Can't be... please no!!!

AnttiL
Sadly it's true.

https://twitter.com/HMSGOfficial/status/1646501710574104577

https://dirtfish.com/rally/wrc/craig-breen-passes-away-in-testing-accident/

RIP

TypeR
Can't be real..

One of the most kind-hearted driver I haver seen.. :'(

masa90
13th April 2023, 13:00
Horrible news. Rest in peace Craig.

flat_right
13th April 2023, 13:01
Just no words. Really sad day for me and for whole rally.

Fast Eddie WRC
13th April 2023, 13:02
How strange... I was just looking at a signed photo-card of his that was on top of the pile I have.

PLuto
13th April 2023, 13:03
Statement from Hyundai Motorsport
Hyundai Motorsport is deeply saddened to confirm that driver Craig Breen today lost his life following an accident during the pre-event test for Croatia Rally.
Co-driver James Fulton was unharmed in the incident that occurred just after midday local time.
Hyundai Motorsport sends its sincerest condolences to Craig’s family, friends and his many fans.
Hyundai Motorsport will make no further comment at this time.

seb_sh
13th April 2023, 13:05
RIP :( can't type anything else right now

ouvreur
13th April 2023, 13:06
Not fair. Just not fair. Why?

focus206
13th April 2023, 13:10
I can't believe it, devastating news...
a bit more than 10 years after Roberts. May you rest in peace Craig, you'll be missed.

Norm75
13th April 2023, 13:17
Absolutely gutting news.

the sniper
13th April 2023, 13:24
Unbelievable, given what appears to be the circumstances. Absolutely tragic. I don't know if it's any real consolation, but with him we truly know he died for something he absolutely loved. He won't be forgotten.

mousti
13th April 2023, 13:28
And almost the same way how Jaffa died next to him in Targa Florio. Tragic sad news :(

Verstuurd vanaf mijn 2201123G met Tapatalk

Sergiow
13th April 2023, 13:35
RIP Craig, the racing gods have left you

https://www.rallye-magazin.de/fileadmin/news-bilder/2019/Craig-Breen-verunglueckt.jpg

The man who was saved by the racing gods in Sweden.

Craig Breen
@Craig_Breen
#WRC Helicopter at it’s best! ��
https://twitter.com/Craig_Breen/status/1624666307009314818

"Don't let anyone ever put you down" ❤️ Who else was delighted to see @Craig_Breen
back at his best? ��
https://twitter.com/OfficialWRC/status/1625117598869340160

When the production doesn’t rely on onboards, it actually is worth paying for
https://twitter.com/rossdelaney95/status/1624068748708651010

Tauri_J
13th April 2023, 13:36
Absolutely terrible news. May he rest in peace.

Not trying to blame anyone but seen some pictures and looks like no protection before pole from test organizer.

PLuto
13th April 2023, 13:38
Absolutely terrible news. May he rest in peace.

Not trying to blame anyone but seen some pictures and looks like no protection before pole from test organizer.

You cannot put protection in front of all poles, trees or sharp objects...

cosmin_sb
13th April 2023, 13:39
rest in pace Craig 🙏🏻

MartinH3000
13th April 2023, 13:40
Tragic news. Condolences to Craig’s family, friends and team.

cali
13th April 2023, 13:44
Absolutely horrible horrible news. RIP Craig, what a nice bloke with such a terrible fate! I'm absolutely broken by this and condolences to his family and friends.

Sent from my DN2103 using Tapatalk

Tauri_J
13th April 2023, 13:44
You cannot put protection in front of all poles, trees or sharp objects...

Expected an answer like this. Obviously you cant take all the risk out of it but you can minimize it.

rp
13th April 2023, 13:48
Unbelievable sad news & very bad day for rallying! At least he was doing what he loved. R.I.P. Craig

philippebugalski
13th April 2023, 13:49
Expected an answer like this. Obviously you cant take all the risk out of it but you can minimize it.

It was not a pole, he hit a wooden rail that went through the windshield..
No one to blame here, horrible fate and one of the saddest days for rally family

Sal yet again
13th April 2023, 14:01
This is just purely heart breaking. No matter what you thought of the guy's abilities he just gave off such positivity about his love for the sport which has now sadly taken his life.

Condolences to his family, friends and many fans

NB Please refrain from speculation on this thread about who may take his place for the rest of the season. That would be in incredibly poor taste.

NielsH
13th April 2023, 14:04
NB Please refrain from speculation on this thread about who may take his place for the rest of the season. That would be in incredibly poor taste.

Couldn't agree more.

Tauri_J
13th April 2023, 14:12
It was not a pole, he hit a wooden rail that went through the windshield..
No one to blame here, horrible fate and one of the saddest days for rally family

Yup just heard it that it was an object that went through windshield , very bad luck. Over the years we've seen lots of videos of rally crashes with objects penetrating through windshield.

Tom206wrc
13th April 2023, 14:15
I'm devastated, I'm even crying ;(

R.I.P. Craig :(

Arnold Triyudho Wardono
13th April 2023, 14:16
Excuse me, WTF is happened!!??

RIP Craig. May you reunited with Jaffa

Sent from my M2010J19CG using Tapatalk

becher
13th April 2023, 14:16
I can't believe it. Just after he found his form again zzzz. This is terrible.

Thousandlakes
13th April 2023, 14:20
I Can`t believe this is true. R.I.P Craig

Kras
13th April 2023, 14:29
A sad reminder of how dangerous this sport really is. This stuff happens less often now than it did before, but theres only so much you can do about the safety of the driver, even with latest technology.

RIP Craig, you will be missed

Integrale
13th April 2023, 14:33
I love the guy. This hits hard.

What a beautiful person Craig was. His passing leaves a void. I feel absolutely empty right now.

dimviii
13th April 2023, 14:34
rip Craig....
terrible news...unbelievable...

Ott Tänak
@OttTanak
·
33m
I can’t believe I’m writing this now. Life can be so fragile and unfair… I can’t believe we’ve lost you mate! Just we’ve been texting and another moment you’re not answering anymore, I’ll miss you buddy so bad, so so bad…

Yugo_para_siempre
13th April 2023, 14:38
Very very very bad news, so sad...

What a nice guy, so unlucky.

He will never be forgotten.

Jarek Z
13th April 2023, 14:39
What a shame! I really liked this guy! :(

The number of crashes that he has had in recent years was alarming, but this is just too much!

May he rest in peace.

Sulland
13th April 2023, 14:41
Hard to believe!
Going to miss his comments at stagends and other interviews, some were priceless!

Fast Eddie WRC
13th April 2023, 14:41
Ott Tänak @OttTanak

I can’t believe I’m writing this now. Life can be so fragile and unfair… I can’t believe we’ve lost you mate ! Just we’ve been texting and another moment you’re not answering anymore, I’ll miss you buddy so bad, so so bad…

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ftmcc98aQAEOVzi?format=jpg&name=small

Rallyper
13th April 2023, 14:44
I´ve always been sceptic to tarmac rallies and safety around those fast rallies with cars behaving always unexpectedly. But - this time I´d say it´s just unluck. Nothing to blame except from the pole standing just there...
Devastating. We all are missing a great sportsman and driver.

Kras
13th April 2023, 15:03
The organisers of Rally Croatia just had a press conference where they expressed their condolences and said they can't give out much more info before the police investigation concludes

fiscorpun
13th April 2023, 15:05
WAIT WHAT???????????
FUCK NO.
NO WAY
FUCK OFF. NO WAY
NO, MAN....this is a hard hit
Fuck... No. Aaa
RIP legend. Jeezzz wtf

fiscorpun
13th April 2023, 15:07
Mate I dont even enjoy wrc that much nowadays, I only watch it because of Craig's personality.. this is devastating. Ahh this is.. aa fuck

[WRCRR]
13th April 2023, 15:28
R.I.P. Craig. Massive loss to rallying.

Fast Eddie WRC
13th April 2023, 15:43
At least he got to live his dream of rallying with the best....

https://toyotagazooracing.com/-/media/TMC/tgr/global/contents/wrc/images/report/2022/01/photo-day4-02.jpg

er88
13th April 2023, 15:43
His love for rallying at all levels was so infectious. I'm beyond floored by this news. Reunited with Jaffa, but much earlier than anyone would've wanted

Whinlatter
13th April 2023, 16:54
I'm completely stunned by this news. I can't think of a driver I've warmed to as much as Craig, the heart on the sleeve approach, the sheer joy and tears at stage ends and the fact he was just a massive rally fan like all of us. I was so hoping he'd get that WRC win this year. Honestly, I'm going to lose a lot of my interest in WRC after this, it just won't feel the same.

focus206
13th April 2023, 17:09
This feels like an eternity ago... I'm even more glad than before that Craig and Gareth were at least able to feel the champion's joy in their short and unlucky career and life. Reunited at last.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_lJo-yYpJw

doubled1978
13th April 2023, 17:18
Such sad news.
Craig was such an infectious character and nobody loved rallying more than him. It’s very tough to take this news, I would have loved this lad to get that WRC win this year.

RIP

lmmjvss
13th April 2023, 17:29
Im never reading Dirt Fish again after today. Five articles already!! Thats so disrespectfull with the family and the community.

RIP Legend.

Managarium
13th April 2023, 18:28
There was an info in croatian media that the strike came from side window and that is an 20 cm diameter hole.

But earlier there was a news from local people, that a metal rod from the fence hit Craig in the neck.

https://i.postimg.cc/W1x0Tn0p/MIY4-MJGYXFJUHCEJ5-WFM5-BQ32-Q.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

J4MIE
13th April 2023, 18:34
Please stop the speculation - it's a completely ridiculous thing to do, especially right at this time. You should be ashamed of yourselves.

mknight
13th April 2023, 18:39
I won't come here suddenly pretending I was his great fan.

But on a personal level he seemed like a great guy in many ways and was a good character to watch and listen to. An outcome like this is certainly not something you would expect these days with safety focus in Rally1 design.

He had quite a lot of bad luck trough his life and career, seemed like this was the ultimate case of bad luck.

macebig
13th April 2023, 18:50
What terrible news...
At least, he will team up with Gareth Roberts once again up there...
And they're gonna race Frank Meagher for eternity...
RIP Craig.

Eli
13th April 2023, 19:04
Heard the news from a friend today, was absolutely left speechless, how a person, a human-being such as Craig could suffer a fate like this? It feels so cruel, unreal, sad and unfair to lose him today, at the beginning I thought he caught covid or something but then I looked it up and saw Hyundai’s statement… I honestly never thought I’d see the day i’d see something like that. I feel privileged to have met him back in Corsica 2015 when he was driving that 208 T16, talking to him at the end of the rally about next year and wishing him all the best in hopes he’ll get that coveted WRC drive. It still feels surreal to me and makes me want to cry, in my heart and mind I feel we’ve lost a great person in our small (relatively) rallying world. As many people here said before me, one of the nicest people in the service park and an absolute joy to watch (even on WRC+), gutted that we won’t see him in Rally Finland anymore, breaks the heart, will be sadly sadly missed.

TypeR
13th April 2023, 19:21
Craig is in the hearts of every true rally fan..

Good friend from Estonia sent me this photo of Mr Beef's memorial statue from today.. Very sad day today and feeling really sickening :/

*these candles are foŕ CB
https://www.upload.ee/image/15115757/Screenshot_20230413_222823_Facebook.jpg

dimviii
13th April 2023, 19:31
What terrible news...
At least, he will team up with Gareth Roberts once again up there...
And they're gonna race Frank Meagher for eternity...
RIP Craig.

his hero Frank Meagher also died at test accident too.

Norm75
13th April 2023, 19:59
Heard the news from a friend today, was absolutely left speechless, how a person, a human-being such as Craig could suffer a fate like this? It feels so cruel, unreal, sad and unfair to lose him today, at the beginning I thought he caught covid or something but then I looked it up and saw Hyundai’s statement… I honestly never thought I’d see the day i’d see something like that. I feel privileged to have met him back in Corsica 2015 when he was driving that 208 T16, talking to him at the end of the rally about next year and wishing him all the best in hopes he’ll get that coveted WRC drive. It still feels surreal to me and makes me want to cry, in my heart and mind I feel we’ve lost a great person in our small (relatively) rallying world. As many people here said before me, one of the nicest people in the service park and an absolute joy to watch (even on WRC+), gutted that we won’t see him in Rally Finland anymore, breaks the heart, will be sadly sadly missed.
Those are very nicely put and thoughtful words Eli. Craig seemed to be well liked by everyone in the service park. Such a shock. Such a shame.

AnttiL
13th April 2023, 20:35
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1051313752218597/posts/1223272815022689/

Here's some footage from the test (no accident footage or anything), some of Craig's last driving footage.

Loikam
13th April 2023, 20:57
More pictures from today's Mr Beef's Memorial...
https://sport.postimees.ee/7753468/galerii-ja-video-tallinnas-suudati-craig-breeni-malestuseks-kuunlad

flat_right
13th April 2023, 21:19
I still can't believe that he's gone. It feels so unfair. We didn't just lose a fast driver who, on his best days, could match anyone; we also lost a charismatic person who brought so much joy with his stage-end interviews and comments. It's unbelievable to think that you, Craig, are no longer with us. I really hope that up there, you can also find some fast roads where you can go "flat to the square right," like you loved to say. Rest in peace, Craig.

NOT
13th April 2023, 21:27
Those are very nicely put and thoughtful words Eli.

i agree.... i loved the covid part....

EightGear
13th April 2023, 21:34
No words; absolutely speechless.

bluuford
13th April 2023, 22:01
Dear friends,
I don't like to write too many things in public, but today is the time to do it. Back in Hyundai days I used to catch all the drivers in every rally evening and shortly brief them on what is expected during next day and how it might influence their driving. In 2021 Rally Finland (Autumn edition), it was very gray day. Low clouds, quite cool weather and felt like it starts to rain in any moment. I told in my lunch report that there might be some low sun coming out for the second half of the final stage. And I reminded it ca 30 minutes before the stage. It was still all gray and low clouds.. and 10 minutes before the final stage, sun came out and it was proper low sun for final half of the stage… So, in the evening I found Craig from hospitality with his „family-friends-supporter gang“ all in one, really nice group of people. When I went close to table, Craig immediately noticed it and asked before I started to talk about next day weather. „How on earth you knew that sun is coming out just before the stage and you said it already before noon service! This is impossible!“ And then he started to explain the story to his friends. I just re-played something like „lucky guess“ or smth. Don't remember exactly. The main idea here was that Craig was doing it always, he made you feel good and happy in his own funny way. And he enjoyed it when he managed to make someone feel good. We are a bit similar here, but I am not on his level yet!

Well, Craig, I hope there were some brighter moments between rainclouds today as well, so you could jump on the side of Jaffa today. I am sure there was! I can already imagine how you too are making so many jokes up there that angels need to laugh so bad that tears are coming out from their eyes and it starts to rain down on the earth because of that. But please, try to hold back your jokes while our cars are on the stages… with hard tires ;)

And I will remember you by keeping up my positive attitude and try to infect others as well in service park!

Rest In Peace dear Colleague!

Jarek Z
13th April 2023, 22:05
Guys, have you seen this?
https://www.facebook.com/CraigBreen42/videos/9-years-old-and-the-original-pacenotes-of-colin-mcrae-rally-were-the-wrong-way-a/1388183734875845/

lancia037
13th April 2023, 23:26
Absolutely gutted, one of the good guys.
Rip Craig, you will be missed but not forgotten

Maui J.
14th April 2023, 03:31
Only just seen the news. Very sad time for rallying.
Craig's end of stage interviews will be missed. On his day he had the speed to be up there with the best. Thoughts are with his family, friends, & current and former team mates.

spyros
14th April 2023, 04:54
Im so sad, R.I.P Craig Breen.

Rallyest
14th April 2023, 06:18

106 sport
14th April 2023, 07:47
So sad...RIP Craig, rally fans will miss you.

flat_right
14th April 2023, 07:59
A video from the place where it happened https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_66kj2Jld54

Rallyper
14th April 2023, 09:30
A video from the place where it happened https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_66kj2Jld54

Pure unluck...

Rallyest
14th April 2023, 11:23
I hope somebody from Dirtfish reads this, they are going over the line in my opinion with new article practicly every few hours, maybe take it down a notch and let people mourn

240RS
14th April 2023, 12:55
Sadly, the numbing feeling of losing a member of our sport never goes. Am old enough to have felt empty and angry when Attilio Bettega left us in '85, only to go through the same emotions the following year. Michael Park's tragedy brought back what we had thought was by-gone era and now Craig. Damn! It's a day after and am not feeling good about the day.

Sal yet again
14th April 2023, 13:00
https://www.motorsportireland.com/

Motor Sport Ireland have opened an online Book of Condolences if anyone wishes to sign

RallyFan13
14th April 2023, 13:35
RIP Craig 1990-2023
Thank you Craig Breen for all memories
https://youtu.be/FhfDqBiAeyA

Managarium
14th April 2023, 14:06
https://i.postimg.cc/cJx6qkJ8/62524063-mjesto-pogiblje-craiga-breena.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

https://i.postimg.cc/sxhgPtTb/62524064-mjesto-pogiblje-craiga-breena.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

https://i.postimg.cc/B6t6b8HS/62524066-mjesto-pogiblje-craiga-breena.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

https://i.postimg.cc/q71qpctD/62524067-mjesto-pogiblje-craiga-breena.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

https://i.postimg.cc/LX7s1H3z/62524070-mjesto-pogiblje-craiga-breena.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

https://i.postimg.cc/K8r4Hhm2/62524071-mjesto-pogiblje-craiga-breena.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

Norm75
14th April 2023, 15:00
A friend sent me a picture she took at the goodwood revival last year. Seems fitting to share it here

the sniper
14th April 2023, 17:41
Thoughts with James Fulton too, this must have been an awful thing to experience. I hope he's being appropriately supported.

doubled1978
14th April 2023, 18:40
Thoughts with James Fulton too, this must have been an awful thing to experience. I hope he's being appropriately supported.

Well said that man.

jparker
14th April 2023, 19:15
You cannot put protection in front of all poles, trees or sharp objects... Why not?

ouvreur
14th April 2023, 19:38
Why not?

I think it’s a question of proportionality. Maybe such safety measures would be possible at World Championship level, but if they were made mandatory, it would seriously impact the sport at every other level.

It’s already difficult for volunteers to put rallies on, and I suspect the time and resources necessary to implement such measures at national and regional level would be impossible for most.

So, the question is, as it always has been… are the risks worthwhile?

Craig Breen knew those risks and their tragic consequences better than most, and the story of his career tells you how he felt about it. When you truly love something, you aren’t put off by the downsides. You know the danger is there, you respect it, but it doesn’t stop you pulling your helmet on and chasing the thing you love, the thing that gets you out of bed in the morning.

Rallying was Craig Breen’s raison d’être. He’s paid the ultimate price. Does anyone think he would want to see the sport he loved neutered in such a way in his name? I don’t.

jparker
14th April 2023, 20:28
@ouverur, I got your point, but in this particular case the danger looks way too obvious. However, I will not poin fingers without seeing the spot prior the incident.

Fast Eddie WRC
14th April 2023, 21:43

Indeed. Local reports say he was in a state of total shock when taken from the car.

The disbelief must've been extreme as the accident didn't seem that heavy. Fans nearby said they just expected the car to reverse and continue.

Katvala
14th April 2023, 21:48
@ouverur, I got your point, but in this particular case the danger looks way too obvious. However, I will not poin fingers without seeing the spot prior the incident.It looks obvious in hindsight. There are dangers everywhere, in about every rally. You cannot cover up/cushion or block off all the cliffsides, rivers, lakes, trees(!!), fences, electrical poles, hinkelstein ++. That would cost an extreme amount of labour. If we are to go that route, we might as well skip the sport and direct to safer circuit racing instead.

It is tragic what has happened. Rallying is dangerous, and while the cars have never been safer than they are in this new era and regulations are put in place to make it safer, there is still a risk the drivers and Co drivers take at the end of the day. The amount of crashes that drivers can just walk away from, just look at Tänak's big Monte Carlo crash. Had Breen hit the pole just 20cm further ahead, then probably he'd walk out of the car unharmed. Theres if's and there's but's.

Rest in peace Breen, you were one of my favourite drivers ever. What an incredible personality that we have lost from the sport forever

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

NOT
14th April 2023, 23:03
Why not?

make a wild guess why not...

some of you guys should pay a fee to walk among non retarded people....

jparker
14th April 2023, 23:15
make a wild guess why not...

some of you guys should pay a fee to walk among non retarded people....
Go to masturbate or pick up a ship stupid.

NOT
14th April 2023, 23:20
Go to masturbate or pick up a ship stupid.

how deep into the forest are we covering the trees ? because a car can also go between a few trees and crash 10-20 meters into the forest... do we also have to trim the branches of all trees and bushes in case they go through the windshield ?

jparker
14th April 2023, 23:26
@katvala. What hindsight? It is long straight ending with right turn. You miss the turn and go straight into the fence. How more obvious you would like it to be to consider it dangerous?

Katvala
15th April 2023, 01:02
@katvala. What hindsight? It is long straight ending with right turn. You miss the turn and go straight into the fence. How more obvious you would like it to be to consider it dangerous?There are such dangers all over most of the stages. Fences are very common alongside roads. Houses, cliffsides, trees. Do you suggest that they put up cushions in front of trees in a forest stage? No car will allow you to survive a head on crash into a tree at full speed. If Breen hadn't crashed where he did, nobody would've pointed out that area. Just look at footage from any rally stage and you'll see hazards everywhere. Covering up everything would cost a ton and not be worthwhile. The other option was like I say to start driving on race tracks instead, or to only do open field rallies like most of Ypres is..

I feel that I and others here have already answered this. They do already put hazards in the notebooks, put chicanes etc in some dangerous places. But doing this for all corners across 300+ kilometers in a rally, plus test stages, just isn't happening.

J4MIE
15th April 2023, 03:43
@katvala. What hindsight? It is long straight ending with right turn. You miss the turn and go straight into the fence. How more obvious you would like it to be to consider it dangerous?

If you saw the video taken shortly before the crash by someone standing almost exactly where the accident happened, it wasn’t a long straight and he wasn’t going that fast.

ouvreur
15th April 2023, 05:33
The other thing I don’t like about the suggestion that this corner was ‘obviously dangerous’ is the implication that Craig / James, or the test coordinator, or the local organisers, should have known better.

Craig and James will have been around hundreds if not thousands of corners far more ‘dangerous’ than this one. Indeed, knowing the incident happened around 11:40, it’s unlikely this was their first run of the day. They would have negotiated the same corner several times prior to the crash.

It should almost go without saying since it’s so obvious, but crews at the top level will bring any concerns they might have about safety - people standing in crazy places, unsuitable road conditions, cars parked too close to the road etc. - during their recce or any of their test runs.

Hyundai’s test coordinator is extremely experienced, and fantastic at what he does. He will have checked the road beforehand, making sure it was fit for purpose and that safety measures were in place. There’s a chance that he’s thinking “if only” now, but at the same time, I expect he already knows that he did all he could and that, short of putting a tyre wall outside every corner, there’s no way he could have prevented what happened.

Similarly for the test and rally organisers - they may well be doing a bit of soul searching now, wondering what they could have done differently then, and do next weekend, to prevent such a freak incident from happening. But again, short of either neutering the competition by removing ‘dangerous’ corners and stages from the itinerary, or lining all the roads with tecpro barriers, what can be done? The nature of the sport is that it uses roads and goes to places that circuit races don’t.

By all means, everyone can think about how to prevent it from happening to anyone else. Maybe all fences and barriers with horizontal elements could have some protection put in front of them, or have those horizontal elements removed. But where do you stop?

philippebugalski
15th April 2023, 06:59
The other thing I don’t like about the suggestion that this corner was ‘obviously dangerous’ is the implication that Craig / James, or the test coordinator, or the local organisers, should have known better.

Craig and James will have been around hundreds if not thousands of corners far more ‘dangerous’ than this one. Indeed, knowing the incident happened around 11:40, it’s unlikely this was their first run of the day. They would have negotiated the same corner several times prior to the crash.

It should almost go without saying since it’s so obvious, but crews at the top level will bring any concerns they might have about safety - people standing in crazy places, unsuitable road conditions, cars parked too close to the road etc. - during their recce or any of their test runs.

Hyundai’s test coordinator is extremely experienced, and fantastic at what he does. He will have checked the road beforehand, making sure it was fit for purpose and that safety measures were in place. There’s a chance that he’s thinking “if only” now, but at the same time, I expect he already knows that he did all he could and that, short of putting a tyre wall outside every corner, there’s no way he could have prevented what happened.

Similarly for the test and rally organisers - they may well be doing a bit of soul searching now, wondering what they could have done differently then, and do next weekend, to prevent such a freak incident from happening. But again, short of either neutering the competition by removing ‘dangerous’ corners and stages from the itinerary, or lining all the roads with tecpro barriers, what can be done? The nature of the sport is that it uses roads and goes to places that circuit races don’t.

By all means, everyone can think about how to prevent it from happening to anyone else. Maybe all fences and barriers with horizontal elements could have some protection put in front of them, or have those horizontal elements removed. But where do you stop?

Absolutely correct.

As someone who drove on that road countless times and watched dozens of PET's and development test on that particular road section this is just terrible fate and bad luck.
Corner speed there in rainy conditions is about 70ish-80ish km/h and if a car would go off a million times then this is ''once in a million'' situation. Still 2 days after in complete shock and disbelief...

RIP Craig, we will miss you!

SubaruNorway
15th April 2023, 07:00
You wouldn't normally crash there so early in the corner either, but there was some water running across the road just at the breaking i saw, just one of those freak accidents.

Terribly sad, he will be missed a lot. I remember thinking a few times lately that Craig was the only one i got good footage of on every stage, always pushing and enjoying himself. The tricky jump in Oittila in the dark in 21 when no one else was jumping and the "Yeeehaaa" corner in Sävar this year are som of my best recent memories.
Rest easy Craig

dimviii
15th April 2023, 07:16
You wouldn't normally crash there so early in the corner either

this i thought too.Or he had lost his line from previous corner.

Yugo_para_siempre
15th April 2023, 07:46
Previously there is a reasonable straight.

If he had bad line at the previous corner, likely he would have recovered it at this straight. No?

In any case. This lovely person did not have any luck. This is just unreal...

denkimi
15th April 2023, 08:50
you can't remove all dangers along the stage. but they could and should have improved the protection against intrustion of foreign objects into the cars.

from the very first rally it was obvious that the drivers are very exposed in these new cars. There are just tubes to protect them, but plates or something to stop stuff getting into the car. by this age, the drivers should be seated in a carbon monocoque that gives them allround protection.
https://www.ewrc.cz/images/2022/photos/rallye-automobile-de-monte-carlo_2022/vpl_z71_6379.jpg

Fast Eddie WRC
15th April 2023, 09:06
Local media report:

"The Hyundai, driven by Breen, ran off the road and hit a utility pole with the left front. His co-driver James Fulton, with whom he started working at the end of last season, was not seriously injured in the accident.

Shock and disbelief rule the Zagorje town where the tragedy happened. According to initial information, the car also hit the fence, part of which broke through the windshield and caused fatal injuries to the driver."

https://www.jutarnji.hr/vijesti/crna-kronika/sampion-koji-je-do-danas-nekoliko-puta-pobijedio-smrt-a-njegova-posljednja-poruka-slama-srce-15325473

seb_sh
15th April 2023, 09:08
you can't remove all dangers along the stage. but they could and should have improved the protection against intrustion of foreign objects into the cars.

from the very first rally it was obvious that the drivers are very exposed in these new cars. There are just tubes to protect them, but plates or something to stop stuff getting into the car. by this age, the drivers should be seated in a carbon monocoque that gives them allround protection.
https://www.ewrc.cz/images/2022/photos/rallye-automobile-de-monte-carlo_2022/vpl_z71_6379.jpg

I was thinking the same thing, if there is something to take away from this that is to have an investigation about improving cockpit intrusion defense. Especially as the bodywork seems to be now more flimsy and easy to break off, seems that is an area that should be looked at.

I was quite shocked when I read the news,
couldn't even find any words. I'm saddened every time I think of WRC and Craig, it's big loss to the championship. A driver who could challenge for podiums and keep the top guys honest and who had a great character and personality, the WRC scene is poorer without him. Personally I loved it every time he would say he's happy and grateful to be driving in the WRC at the stage ends, it made me happy to be watching and be a bit more mindful that I'm following live rallying and it made me enjoy my time watching even more. I miss Craig.

becher
15th April 2023, 09:26

Judging by the few pictures we've seen, the outcome would have been the same in a WRC, as the fence went through the windshield and the bodywork was not really damaged.

Ds3
15th April 2023, 09:31
I'm reading more and more posts here from people who want to turn RALLY sport into a formula 1 race, please move to their forum section and don't pollute here. There you can buy some popcorn and stay on the sofa, maybe even get some sleep. This forum is for man..

Rest in peace Craig Breen..Gone too soon!

becher
15th April 2023, 09:35
Absolutely correct.

As someone who drove on that road countless times and watched dozens of PET's and development test on that particular road section this is just terrible fate and bad luck.
Corner speed there in rainy conditions is about 70ish-80ish km/h and if a car would go off a million times then this is ''once in a million'' situation. Still 2 days after in complete shock and disbelief...

RIP Craig, we will miss you!

Can this road be found on google maps?

focus206
15th April 2023, 09:57
The most infuriating and sad thing is that it's one in a million chance... you could crash out of that corner at that speed countless times and escape unhurt. Life was so unfair with Craig.
About objects penetrating into cars, I don't know if you can technically do something in the case of guard rails slicing through the car, like what happened to Kubica in 2011 and of course Craig and Jaffa in 2012. But if the objects goes through the windshield, what can you do? Here there is an onboard of Robert Zitta at Janner Rallye 2012 (he was unhurt) to give an idea:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50lOpMTvRhY

mknight
15th April 2023, 10:11
You can change the materials the windows are made from, certainly for the side windows.

That's the main thing that could be considered.

AndersX
15th April 2023, 10:22
Very sad! I would say, the fate - probability that particular piece of wood under particular angle would penetrate the front window could be counted as 1 of 1 million or even smaller. Few cm here and there and outcome could have been different. This is smth from McRae and heli-crash, Schumacher and hitting that stone and some more similar cases. I know the case where the rally driver was killed, when car rolling in to the field hit a piece of old concrete exactly with window opening between the rollcage tubes - the same rate of probability as Craigs, but it somehow just happened. This danger is a part of risks taken in rally.

drive
15th April 2023, 11:21
another 1 in a million crash when wood penetrates rally car https://youtu.be/lLZtTl9ZODQ?t=33
this time lucky, and as someone here mentioned ' danger is a part of risks taken in rally.'....
Rest in peace Craig Breen... Gone too soon and we will miss you!

Jarek Z
15th April 2023, 12:56
And another example, from Poland, a few years ago (at 1:00):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kfm-83c5NE

doubled1978
15th April 2023, 13:47
Not a good watch these videos with the cockpit penetration. So lucky that these didn’t end the same way as the Breen crash.

denkimi
15th April 2023, 13:58
You can change the materials the windows are made from, certainly for the side windows.

That's the main thing that could be considered.

there are definately stronger materials available than they use now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7kym3FJOg4

Destra quattro
15th April 2023, 14:04
46°09'21.5"N 16°03'53.9"E
https://goo.gl/maps/w7g24c18MXn8kFeT9

NOT
15th April 2023, 14:32
This thread turned into an autism competition really fast... from covering every tree and pole with hayballs and protective stuff to using jet materials for car windows... maybe we can put lifeguards on every lake in finland as well so we can avoid drownings... and why not bulletproof armour around the car... kubica would be absolutely fine in an armoured vehicle....

i really would like to hear the opinions of safety autists on the TT... lol

Poor Craig.... its a pity that your demise due to sheer bad luck turned into a "who is the biggest retard" competition among rally fans....

Yugo_para_siempre
15th April 2023, 14:48
For sure he was extremely unlucky.
I mentioned it previously and I still believe it.

But, since you already found 2 other cases that a wooden pole penetrated the windshield in the last decade (fortunately not fatal).
Maybe it is not so rare in order to ignore it and not to take it into consideration for possible safety measurements.

I am not suggesting a solution, there are so many clever people around motorsport to find something innovative.

seb_sh
15th April 2023, 15:03
This thread turned into an autism competition really fast... from covering every tree and pole with hayballs and protective stuff to using jet materials for car windows... maybe we can put lifeguards on every lake in finland as well so we can avoid drownings... and why not bulletproof armour around the car... kubica would be absolutely fine in an armoured vehicle....

i really would like to hear the opinions of safety autists on the TT... lol

Poor Craig.... its a pity that your demise due to sheer bad luck turned into a "who is the biggest retard" competition among rally fans....

I find this post completely unacceptable especially given the circumstances. You are calling forum members "autists" and "retard". Maybe you should go away again. I've reported this post. Frankly you are disgusting.

Fast Eddie WRC
15th April 2023, 15:16
He may not have won a WRC event, although he came close with several podiums. But he had victories in ERC and many national events.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FtvRbt4X0AMJcXD?format=jpg&name=medium

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FtvRdTyXsAAocEG?format=jpg&name=medium

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FtvReZ4WcAAihWW?format=jpg&name=medium

NOT
15th April 2023, 15:37
I find this post completely unacceptable especially given the circumstances. You are calling forum members "autists" and "retard". Maybe you should go away again. I've reported this post. Frankly you are disgusting.

well given the things mentioned in here a lot of them qualify for both titles...

mknight
15th April 2023, 16:23
there are definately stronger materials available than they use now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7kym3FJOg4

On twitter there were mentions of some type of plastic they use in NASCAR.

For side windows it should be quite simple, front one might be more difficult.

Changing the material of the windows has zero impact on the sport itself, unlike for example HANS had.

NOT
15th April 2023, 17:12
Major accident happens... Car is on fire and the doors are blocked.. driver tries to break the space tech window... Fails...

Lets ban motorsport all together... Safest option

matija_1988
15th April 2023, 18:10
If anyone needs, this is the location
https://maps.app.goo.gl/S3tDjqwbwhDc6Mre8https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230415/44bbb863978d6b6c61a9935f00ed672f.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230415/47223b661a494887e4a56af95e30664b.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230415/b07534e5eba366a111f7ccf7626dd17f.jpg

NOT
15th April 2023, 18:43
If anyone needs, this is the location
https://maps.app.goo.gl/S3tDjqwbwhDc6Mre8https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230415/44bbb863978d6b6c61a9935f00ed672f.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230415/47223b661a494887e4a56af95e30664b.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230415/b07534e5eba366a111f7ccf7626dd17f.jpg

this does not look like the place at all on google maps... did they put that fence there the last 3 years ?

WUff1
15th April 2023, 19:04
this does not look like the place at all on google maps... did they put that fence there the last 3 years ?

According to Croatian media the fence is only there for a short time.

Norm75
15th April 2023, 19:04
Major accident happens... Car is on fire and the doors are blocked.. driver tries to break the space tech window... Fails...

Lets ban motorsport all together... Safest option

I normally pipe up when you start banding the autism stick.
However, I do agree with your basic comments, just a pity you have to embellish them with your usual nonsense. I was going to mention the TT. People die every year, but all competitors know the consequence.
Even one Irish family has lost many people through road racing but still continue because it is in their blood. I was also going to mention how far a car can travel once it’s left the road so where do you stop when trying to bubble wrap every potential hazard.

And it’s all very well using some form of impenetrable material for windows but then what happens when a crew is trapped inside a burning vehicle and emergency crews can’t get in to save them?

NOT
15th April 2023, 19:17
I normally pipe up when you start banding the autism stick.
However, I do agree with your basic comments, just a pity you have to embellish them with your usual nonsense. I was going to mention the TT. People die every year, but all competitors know the consequence.
Even one Irish family has lost many people through road racing but still continue because it is in their blood. I was also going to mention how far a car can travel once it’s left the road so where do you stop when trying to bubble wrap every potential hazard.

And it’s all very well using some form of impenetrable material for windows but then what happens when a crew is trapped inside a burning vehicle and emergency crews can’t get in to save them?

everything I say is always correct... none can match my logical thinking when it comes to this sport.... it does not matter how i say it.

to put it simply... if you disagree with me on rallying matters you are an autistic retard that uses emotion rather than logic... you know who uses emotion rather than logic ? women do.

so stop being women and grow a pair and then i might not use offensive language.

we had people in here that questioned why we did not put protection on every pole to keep everyone safe...

other suggested NASCAR tech like NASCAR has developed materials to stand against pointy objects like poles... NASCAR that uses plastic covers on a tube frame chassis....

and we had the space glass used in f1 as the epitome...

to be honest i must come up with something far more offensive than autism... because you guys elevate stupidity to leves even my intelligence cannot describe...

Craig died in a freak 1 in a million accident... a tragedy... you cannot predict such accidents and you cann do absolutely nothing to make things safer when it comes to things like that...

let Craigs poor soul rest and stop with your brain vomit of how to make motorsport safe from freak accidents... motorsport are dangerous... in the coming years more people will die... spectators drivers co-drivers... accept it and try to minimise logical risks rather that bothering with stupid shit.

Norm75
15th April 2023, 19:28
The ironic thing about that last post NOT is, and take it from me I am autistic, that people with autism usually have a lack of emotion and generally view things in a more logical way.

We all have the capacity to be offensive if we want. You are quite right, rallying can never be made completely safe, but you really do need to go and have a word with yourself posting some of the comments you have done in this thread, at this time (not that there is ever a good time for some of your comments)

ouvreur
15th April 2023, 19:31
Wow. You know, there’s a time and a place for language and rhetoric like that.

Online forums can be a rough and tumble place, sure. However this, I feel, is just not appropriate.

I don’t think I’m “autistic”. Or an “emotional woman”. I just think that there’s a need, in situations like these, to be tactful and respond in measured terms and not drag a thread into the gutter.

Come on man. Your points are actually valid. However strongly you may feel, just use language that doesn’t alienate people and divide. You’re better than this, I can tell - raise the bar, don’t lower it.

NOT
15th April 2023, 19:44
The ironic thing about that last post NOT is, and take it from me I am autistic, that people with autism usually have a lack of emotion and generally view things in a more logical way.

We all have the capacity to be offensive if we want. You are quite right, rallying can never be made completely safe, but you really do need to go and have a word with yourself posting some of the comments you have done in this thread, at this time (not that there is ever a good time for some of your comments)

in todays world everyone is autistic... has some kind of mental illness ects ects... everything is a spectrum...

becher
15th April 2023, 19:56

The path and the fence along the road as seen in videos wasn't there either in the past.

becher
15th April 2023, 19:58

Changing the material of the windows has zero impact on the sport itself, unlike for example HANS had.

Thought about the touringcar side window net as well, but I'm not sure, after all they are roadcars that need to navigate traffic.

becher
15th April 2023, 19:59

What impact other than saving lives had the HANS device?

the sniper
15th April 2023, 20:02
in todays world everyone is autistic... has some kind of mental illness ects ects... everything is a spectrum...

I don't usually mind your act, but ffs, there's a time and a place. Your last few posts aren't doing your cause any good, you're just embarrassing yourself.

Norm75
15th April 2023, 20:04

If you must try making out to be some sort of higher intelligence than the rest of the forum, start by learning how to spell basic three letter words. Etcetera is abbreviated etc.

J4MIE
15th April 2023, 20:12

So you are on that spectrum too. Please leave this and walk away, it is not the place for your insane rants.

seb_sh
15th April 2023, 20:21
everything I say is always correct... none can match my logical thinking when it comes to this sport.... it does not matter how i say it.

remember "finnish village team"?

you have no clue what you're talking about half the time and you're in no place to talk down to people.

Katvala
15th April 2023, 20:43
People here are talking about Craig Breen's tragic accident. It is natural to think about ifs and buts, things that could have been done to prevent it. Even if it's too late for Breen, sure there are things that can be made safer for the future. There's a reason there are so many regulations changes for safety in the past decades. And talk about this is perfectly fine.

NOT's laughable insults and self-jerkings are not adding to the discussion in any meaningful way. His act is pitiful and he should be ashamed for sprouting this crap on a thread revolving Breen.

macebig
15th April 2023, 20:44
There are always lessons to be learned when someone loses his life doing his profession. It's up to the FIA and the Safety Commission to find out what these lessons are. Yes, it was probably a "freak accident" as was Martin's in GB 2005. But, that accident helped improved side protection quite a bit and saved a good amount of people. We can hope Breen's passing has a similar effect and helps save some lifes in the future.

NOT
15th April 2023, 20:48
remember "finnish village team"?

you have no clue what you're talking about half the time and you're in no place to talk down to people.

yes i remeber a finish village team full of finnish village nobodies that lost a championship to a private team... and once they brought people in apart from the clique of makienen which they kicked out like a worthless stray dog they started winning...

as i said i am never wrong...

NOT
15th April 2023, 20:52
the discussion in any meaningful way.

the main problem is the fact you are having discussions started by retards who question why we cannot wrap forests in bubble wraps... and you consider such discussion capable of being meaningful...

Katvala
15th April 2023, 21:25
the main problem is the fact you are having discussions started by retards who question why we cannot wrap forests in bubble wraps... and you consider such discussion capable of being meaningful...I never agreed to doing that, but you don't see me lashing out on others pretending that I am some super intellectual individual like you are doing. If you are so wise, you could've given constructive critique. You are driving people away from having discussions here and it's clear that your contributions are heavily disliked because of your attitude.

PLuto
16th April 2023, 00:32
NOT has been banned for next 10 days

Rallyper
16th April 2023, 07:48
NOT has been banned for next 10 days

Are you serious? If we can´t hear (watch) words from everyone, even if their mental abilities of using words offends in certain ways, this forum will loose it´s function.

We´ve seen a lot of nobrainers here (Not only NOT) using words not even writeable. However they are also rallyfans.

Banning people only fits to dictators and some religions.

becher
16th April 2023, 09:29
Are you serious? If we can´t hear (watch) words from everyone, even if their mental abilities of using words offends in certain ways, this forum will loose it´s function.

We´ve seen a lot of nobrainers here (Not only NOT) using words not even writeable. However they are also rallyfans.

Banning people only fits to dictators and some religions.

Don't confuse free speech with the right to be a fuc*ing cu*t.

Rallyper
16th April 2023, 10:19
Don't confuse free speech with the right to be a fuc*ing cu*t.

I really don´t like words like yours either. But you use your freedom and say them as well...

becher
16th April 2023, 12:02
I really don´t like words like yours either. But you use your freedom and say them as well...
Well they discribe a certain behavior but they don't randomly insult people and discriminate certain conditions.

Rallyper
16th April 2023, 12:10
Well they discribe a certain behavior but they don't randomly insult people and discriminate certain conditions.

Oh yes, they insult as well. Take off your sunglasses.

mknight
16th April 2023, 12:41

You introduce tools that can cut the windows. Emergency crews have this already. Rally crews can have a small tool.
Along the lines of window breaking hammers on public busses.

Primary escape route is always the two doors. Also note that I was talking about sidewindows, not windscreen.

This level of "finding" an issue is like saying cars shouldn't have rollcages cause it makes it hard to climb out trough the boot after crash.

What impact other than saving lives had the HANS device?

When introduced there were issues with limiting head movement, not matching seats, etc. In short, it changed how drivers sat in the cars. Most of those issues were fixed in a few years.

On top of that there were campaigns by rallydrivers (with support of some doctors) towards FIA claiming HANS caused increased spine injuries when car hit a bump/jumped at high speed, don't quite remember how it ended. (but obviously we have HANS today).

My point was that HANS had direct impact on drivers seating/working space. Compared to that changing side window materials is completely negligible.

But as always, it is enough for some people to cry about destroying the sport.

Norm75
16th April 2023, 13:09
You think a little hammer like on double decker bus would penetrate a window that a fence post hit head on at 100 clicks couldn’t. Cars catching fire and crews needing to get out quickly is a lot more common than freak accidents like Craigs.

Then there are accidents similar to Tanak ending up in a lake where breaking a window quickly if needed would be restricted.

Fast Eddie WRC
16th April 2023, 13:25
What happened is still not clear. Local reports state:

"There is conflicting information, from a piece of wooden fence breaking into the cockpit of the car and hitting Breen directly in the neck, to the fact that the car was almost intact, with neither the windshield nor the glass on the driver's door broken."

becher
16th April 2023, 13:59
You introduce tools that can cut the windows. Emergency crews have this already. Rally crews can have a small tool.
Along the lines of window breaking hammers on public busses.

Primary escape route is always the two doors. Also note that I was talking about sidewindows, not windscreen.

This level of "finding" an issue is like saying cars shouldn't have rollcages cause it makes it hard to climb out trough the boot after crash.

When introduced there were issues with limiting head movement, not matching seats, etc. In short, it changed how drivers sat in the cars. Most of those issues were fixed in a few years.

On top of that there were campaigns by rallydrivers (with support of some doctors) towards FIA claiming HANS caused increased spine injuries when car hit a bump/jumped at high speed, don't quite remember how it ended. (but obviously we have HANS today).

My point was that HANS had direct impact on drivers seating/working space. Compared to that changing side window materials is completely negligible.

But as always, it is enough for some people to cry about destroying the sport.

As far I can remember the HANS discussion was just a few drivers being picky idiots and in the end the "comfort" impact was negligible. Never heard about the claimed spine injuries, but I must say that is quite laughable considering it saves (maybe the most important) part of ones spine. Anyway thankfully the r resistance didn't last long.

flatout227
16th April 2023, 14:32
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230416/3c1902e8852f25b9b8eece3d070faddb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

satnav
16th April 2023, 14:44
Funeral arrangements

Also a link to the live stream of the Funeral Mass ;

https://bit.ly/41utKbx

WRC
17th April 2023, 07:33
https://rip.ie/death-notice/craig-breen-slieverue-waterford/532670

meh
17th April 2023, 08:41
There is a lot of off-topic going on here.

Please find and/or create appropriate topics for cars safety or "who insulted whom". At the moment it is like a bunch of guys are nagging and fighting on someones grave.

Let Mr Breen rest in peace and keep this topic for him only.

EstWRC
17th April 2023, 09:39
IMO it’s time to close this thread. Or at least tomorrow after the funeral

Has gone off topic and some bad sentences here

Jewy46
17th April 2023, 11:39
You wouldn't normally crash there so early in the corner either, but there was some water running across the road just at the breaking i saw, just one of those freak accidents.

Terribly sad, he will be missed a lot. I remember thinking a few times lately that Craig was the only one i got good footage of on every stage, always pushing and enjoying himself. The tricky jump in Oittila in the dark in 21 when no one else was jumping and the "Yeeehaaa" corner in Sävar this year are som of my best recent memories.
Rest easy Craig

I am still in a state of absolute shock about everything. In time I hope to put some words express how much Craig meant to us all in our group that went to support him particularly in Finland.

But I just want to thank you Tor for capturing so many moments where we watched Craig at his ultimate best. You seemed to be there so many times when we were cheering him on and those moments are there forever to look back on thanks to you.

This one has to be my favourite. Craig actually waved at us here (not that we could see that) and it was mentioned on WRC+ by Julian and Craig himself said he spotted a few of us in a "right good spot" at the end of the stage.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=1277652343176013

We feature in most of Tor's video in fact, waving the Irish flag for Craig. Those are memories I will cherish forever, but oh my will I miss cheering him on.

Fast Eddie WRC
17th April 2023, 11:39
We should keep this thread open but just for peoples memories of Craig and his legacy.

J4MIE
17th April 2023, 11:58
You think a little hammer like on double decker bus would penetrate a window that a fence post hit head on at 100 clicks couldn’t. Cars catching fire and crews needing to get out quickly is a lot more common than freak accidents like Craigs.

Then there are accidents similar to Tanak ending up in a lake where breaking a window quickly if needed would be restricted.

Some types of bullet proof glass you can break easily from the inside, so yes it’s definitely possible.

Crews already have to carry a tool within reach to break a window or cut seat belts to help with quick exit.

Nothing is impossible - safety never stops.

Jarek Z
17th April 2023, 14:19
"Ciao Breen" at the Rally Regione Piemonte in Italy last weekend:
https://toyotagazooracing.com/-/media/TMC/tgr/global/contents/challengeprogram_rally/images/release/2023/041702-01/041702_01.jpg

Jarek Z
17th April 2023, 14:29
IMO it’s time to close this thread. Or at least tomorrow after the funeral

Has gone off topic and some bad sentences here

In my opinion this thread should remain open.

Hyundai Motorsport pays tribute to Craig Breen:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7TognXCwL0

Fast Eddie WRC
17th April 2023, 15:55
Hyundai to compete in Croatia in memory of Craig...

https://www.autosport.com/wrc/news/hyundai-announces-wrc-rally-croatia-plans/10457577/

WRC / FIA retire #42...

https://www.autosport.com/wrc/news/wrc-and-fia-retire-craig-breens-number-42/10457600/

EstWRC
17th April 2023, 16:18
In my opinion this thread should remain open.

Hyundai Motorsport pays tribute to Craig Breen:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7TognXCwL0

And what do we post here after some weeks?

er88
17th April 2023, 16:32
The thread will naturally fall down the page, but people will not forget Craig and in a years time - I'm sure people will be back in to pay their respects. I'm sure I've seen Colin McRaes thread pop up on anniversaries of his death - Richard Burns too. I don't see a problem leaving it open, it was only derailed by NOTs language winding folk up

Jarek Z
17th April 2023, 17:26
And what do we post here after some weeks?

It is not mandatory to keep posting without end, really! :D

SubaruNorway
17th April 2023, 18:08
I am still in a state of absolute shock about everything. In time I hope to put some words express how much Craig meant to us all in our group that went to support him particularly in Finland.

But I just want to thank you Tor for capturing so many moments where we watched Craig at his ultimate best. You seemed to be there so many times when we were cheering him on and those moments are there forever to look back on thanks to you.

This one has to be my favourite. Craig actually waved at us here (not that we could see that) and it was mentioned on WRC+ by Julian and Craig himself said he spotted a few of us in a "right good spot" at the end of the stage.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=1277652343176013

We feature in most of Tor's video in fact, waving the Irish flag for Craig. Those are memories I will cherish forever, but oh my will I miss cheering him on.

I'm happy to hear that, great minds think alike when it comes to finding good spots i guess! ;)
It's always been a pleasure, it really makes the footage better with some passionate fans and some Irish flags in the background so don't stop going to events! I remember he had waived at you guys in Ässämäk 2, It's at 5:10.
I've spent the weekend digging through the archives and made a longer video, so maybe you can find something you haven't seen before also, added some more of the guys singing the national anthem in Finland 21 at the end also. My first time watching Craig and Gareth was all the way back at Rally Finland 2010 which was my first time traveling by plane on my own. I've unfortunately never met Craig personally but before Rally Sweden this year he shared a couple of my clips from Rally Sweden 2020 on his instagram story looking forward to the event and imagining what it would be like driving a Metro 6R4 down that flat out downhill at Hof-Finnskog. So that was cool to see :)
I think this thread should be used to share some stories if someone here has something to share.
https://youtu.be/CSvI-Xl7b0M

Corcaíoch
17th April 2023, 22:43
I rarely post here and have no great story to share about Craig Breen but felt like sharing some thoughts all the same. (Apologies for the long post)

It’s been hard to find the words to describe Craig Breen’s loss over the last few days. In spite of being an avid Irish WRC fan I won’t be a hypocrite and claim that I saw him as a future WRC champion. But that wasn’t the point, what he undoubtedly was to me however and to many more was a fellow countryman living out our dreams at the highest level. He was Ireland’s most successful driver ever on the WRC stage. He was an inspiration, an Irish rally driver for us to support internationally and to be proud of.

Rallying is popular in Ireland and national rallies regularly have huge entry lists but Irish drivers rarely make much of an impression at European or WRC level. Growing up my rallying heroes were drivers like Sainz, Makinen, Gronholm, it barely even occurred to me as a young fan that an Irish driver could compete at that sort of level. Breen changed that.

Winning in 2011 and 2012 started the change that but his WRC career, factory drives, and multiple podiums really were an inspiration to Irish rally fans. It might be harder for fans from some more successful countries to fully understand that but when your country only has one driver to ever achieve this sort of success it really does change how you view rallying at the highest level. To us Irish rally fans he was living the dream and he became what all young drivers aspired to (and what older fans like me daydreamed of being)

What also stands out to me, was Breen’s love of the sport and his love of competing in local Irish events. I didn’t know him personally but often saw him at service or during Irish rallies and from what I saw as a fan and what I heard from other competitors it seemed like his success never went to his head and he never acted like the big star at a small rally.

Rallying and Irish rallying in particular is a much poorer place without him.
Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam uasal.

daveR
18th April 2023, 02:17
I rarely post here and have no great story to share about Craig Breen but felt like sharing some thoughts all the same. (Apologies for the long post)

It’s been hard to find the words to describe Craig Breen’s loss over the last few days. In spite of being an avid Irish WRC fan I won’t be a hypocrite and claim that I saw him as a future WRC champion. But that wasn’t the point, what he undoubtedly was to me however and to many more was a fellow countryman living out our dreams at the highest level. He was Ireland’s most successful driver ever on the WRC stage. He was an inspiration, an Irish rally driver for us to support internationally and to be proud of.

Rallying is popular in Ireland and national rallies regularly have huge entry lists but Irish drivers rarely make much of an impression at European or WRC level. Growing up my rallying heroes were drivers like Sainz, Makinen, Gronholm, it barely even occurred to me as a young fan that an Irish driver could compete at that sort of level. Breen changed that.

Winning in 2011 and 2012 started the change that but his WRC career, factory drives, and multiple podiums really were an inspiration to Irish rally fans. It might be harder for fans from some more successful countries to fully understand that but when your country only has one driver to ever achieve this sort of success it really does change how you view rallying at the highest level. To us Irish rally fans he was living the dream and he became what all young drivers aspired to (and what older fans like me daydreamed of being)

What also stands out to me, was Breen’s love of the sport and his love of competing in local Irish events. I didn’t know him personally but often saw him at service or during Irish rallies and from what I saw as a fan and what I heard from other competitors it seemed like his success never went to his head and he never acted like the big star at a small rally.

My exact thoughts too!

WRC and Motorsport in general has suffered a great loss this past week, but the loss to Irish rallying is indescribable.
Breen's passion for rallying at home was so evident and it nearly became the norm for him to enter events up and down the country lately.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6EN6aOUCkg

Fast Eddie WRC
18th April 2023, 08:55
Mourners gather for Craig Breen's funeral at 1pm today...

https://www.rte.ie/sport/motorsport/2023/0418/1377613-mourners-gather-for-craig-breens-funeral/

Bishop 12
18th April 2023, 08:56
Truer words where never spoken well articulated it definitely has left a huge hole in our hearts and in our rally life

Jewy46
18th April 2023, 09:45

I said I wanted to put some words to my feelings and thoughts about Craig but this piece by Corcaíoch touches on so much on what I wanted to say, and you've put it much better than I ever could.

Today we lay to rest our greatest ever Irish rallying hero and although it's terrible knowing what could have been.
But we should be forever for what he gave us this past decade or so, memories that will last long after any of us have passed on.

Go raibh maith agat Craig :heart:

Jewy46
18th April 2023, 10:09
I'm happy to hear that, great minds think alike when it comes to finding good spots i guess! ;)
It's always been a pleasure, it really makes the footage better with some passionate fans and some Irish flags in the background so don't stop going to events! I remember he had waived at you guys in Ässämäk 2, It's at 5:10.
I've spent the weekend digging through the archives and made a longer video, so maybe you can find something you haven't seen before also, added some more of the guys singing the national anthem in Finland 21 at the end also. My first time watching Craig and Gareth was all the way back at Rally Finland 2010 which was my first time traveling by plane on my own. I've unfortunately never met Craig personally but before Rally Sweden this year he shared a couple of my clips from Rally Sweden 2020 on his instagram story looking forward to the event and imagining what it would be like driving a Metro 6R4 down that flat out downhill at Hof-Finnskog. So that was cool to see :)
I think this thread should be used to share some stories if someone here has something to share.

Thanks again Tor. Great video, amazing the amount of footage you have. Some hidden gems there.
The bit at the end of us singing the national anthem to pictures of Craig has me in tears again.

I think the spot he waved in Ässämäki 2 from 2022 was at 0:15 though?

I'm actually trying to get the video of his stage end interview from that if anyone could help me?

Rallyest
18th April 2023, 11:44
So hard seeing James, cant imagine what he is going through, good to see that Dani and Paul can be there.

er88
18th April 2023, 11:46
Hope he gets all the support he needs. Can't imagine the trauma

rp
18th April 2023, 12:16
Unbelievable sad to see :( Rally in peace Craig!

Fast Eddie WRC
18th April 2023, 12:39
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ft_zX_vWcAAxAuA?format=jpg&name=medium

jmwachuya
18th April 2023, 13:23
So hard seeing James, cant imagine what he is going through, good to see that Dani and Paul can be there.Sorry to him, difficult situation..but he will overcome this eventually.
Any link to follow the proceedings?

Sent from my OPPO F1s using Tapatalk

Fast Eddie WRC
18th April 2023, 13:26
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ft_jJaQXwAIE_EX?format=jpg&name=large

sti123
18th April 2023, 15:37
Sorry to him, difficult situation..but he will overcome this eventually.
Any link to follow the proceedings?

Sent from my OPPO F1s using Tapatalk
https://www.memoriallane.ie/livestream/
Recording is still there, RIP Craig...

Mk2 RS2000
18th April 2023, 16:27

Well said

SubaruNorway
18th April 2023, 17:43
Thanks again Tor. Great video, amazing the amount of footage you have. Some hidden gems there.
The bit at the end of us singing the national anthem to pictures of Craig has me in tears again.

I think the spot he waved in Ässämäki 2 from 2022 was at 0:15 though?

I'm actually trying to get the video of his stage end interview from that if anyone could help me?

No problem! Not all of it back in those days were the best, more prepared and better equipment these days!
Sorry, i meant on the onboard, you can see it on the face cam.
Must have been on the All live broadcast, i skimmed the highlights, maybe some of our finish friends has contacts in NEP maybe.

seb_sh
18th April 2023, 19:06

Nice video! Craig was exciting to watch. Kept thinking as I was watching that he would've gotten at least one win eventually. Posts like yours or Corcaíoch bring a fitting tribute to Craig, thanks for that.

Jarek Z
18th April 2023, 19:38
I've just come across a nice T-shirt. I didn't know Craig was driving Metro 6R4:
https://www.redbubble.com/i/t-shirt/Craig-Breen-6r4-by-purpletwinturbo/35526860.NL9AC

satnav
18th April 2023, 20:16
This is a video on youtube of Craig in the 6R4;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8xbH1057fY

Do a search on Youtube, there are loads of Craig that year in the Killarney Historics

AnttiL
19th April 2023, 04:56
It’s his dad’s car, but one of his favourites

Hartusvuori
19th April 2023, 05:32
It’s his dad’s car, but one of his favourites

In the book Icons of Irish Rallying (2020), Craig Breen wrote how his father Ray bought first Metro when Craig was five and he got hooked by the looks and especially by the sound of the machine. In 2018 6R4 returned to his father's garage. By the end of 2018 Breen's contract with Citroën was discontinued so he was out of WRC drive after Rally Australia. His sister lived in Australia and he wrote that it was common for him to stay at her sister's home after the Australian event. That year he needed it more than before. His father was there also, seeing his son in a difficult period, and he suggested to Craig that what about doing a rally with 6R4, knowing his son loved that car. No pressure, having fun, a kind refreshing the love for rallying kind of thing. Craig called Paul Nagle on the spot and asked what would it take to arrange a 00 car spot on Killarney historics and Paul was on it from the go. A few days later everything was arranged.

"If only the camera in the car was pointing towards our faces as we made our way up the stage (Molls Gap), I was smiling from ear to ear. Not just for the emotions of being back in a 6R4, but being home."

----

We know how in 2019 Craig and Paul drove in Ireland and drove several events here and there, winning everything. It was really about getting back in the good mood. In June 2019 Hyundai had made the offer for Craig and Paul to drive in Rally Finland with them and so Craig was back in the top of the sport.

Jarek Z
19th April 2023, 07:29
Thank you for the story about 6R4, but that Sierra is also beautiful!
https://www.ewrc-results.com/image/750465/?entry=3577940

AnttiL
19th April 2023, 07:35

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbGue_H-NRE

This interview became now very valuable, kudos to Sohlberg for doing these. I even got my own question about his driving style asked, and many other interesting things, including the historic cars. He was planning on coming to Lahti Historic with one of them (according to JML, the Legacy)

Fast Eddie WRC
19th April 2023, 09:19
First view of the Hyundai tribute livery...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FuA4a--XwBoC0Aj?format=jpg&name=medium

AndersX
19th April 2023, 09:23
Is there any new info/modelation about what exactly happened? Will it be ever disclosed?

AnttiL
19th April 2023, 09:24
First view of the Hyundai tribute livery...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FuA4a--XwBoC0Aj?format=jpg&name=medium

Sides are still undone on this picture.

ouvreur
19th April 2023, 09:34
Is there any new info/modelation about what exactly happened? Will it be ever disclosed?

There are some things that just don't need to be in the public domain. Even if it is widely known, I would hope it wouldn't be shared on here.

AndersX
19th April 2023, 10:09
There are some things that just don't need to be in the public domain. Even if it is widely known, I would hope it wouldn't be shared on here.

I am not sure if I understand your point; i was asking this bcs there are some conflicting reports/speculations. I assume some kind of official report, after investigation would be released.

Hartusvuori
19th April 2023, 10:34
Sides are still undone on this picture.

It would've been respectful for the team to let them first publish a picture of this livery in its full finished form rather than these bits and pieces here and there.

Jarek Z
19th April 2023, 11:15
They are still working on this car:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4_HPkPGIb0