PDA

View Full Version : 2022 ERC News & Rumours

Pages : [1] 2

Sulland
26th September 2021, 19:33
Planning for next uears series have already started for many.
What changes will we see for 2022 with rallyes, car classes and new promotor?

Who will we see in what cars next season?

Fast Eddie WRC
2nd November 2021, 11:02
Opel set to return:
https://dirtfish.com/rally/erc/opel-set-to-return-to-erc-as-a-factory-team/

Andre Oliveira
4th November 2021, 11:50
Poland, Liepāja, Rome, Zlín, Azores, Fafe, Hungary, Canarias

https://dirtfish.com/rally/erc/erc-to-feature-all-live-streaming-in-2022/

Fast Eddie WRC
4th November 2021, 14:29
Poland, Liepāja, Rome, Zlín, Azores, Fafe, Hungary, Canarias

https://dirtfish.com/rally/erc/erc-to-feature-all-live-streaming-in-2022/

So ERC+ All Live is confirmed.

I wonder if a TV channel will pick this up like BT Sport did with WRC All Live ?

AndyRAC
4th November 2021, 14:35
A mistake; needs free to air streaming...... they'll never learn.

mknight
4th November 2021, 14:44
ERC this year has free streaming on some stages and the overall quality is really bad. (guess a lot of that is due to budget)

Better some payment for hopefully a much better product. If it will be like current allive in WRC that indeed is a much better product, even with the "allblack" periods.

I'd also say that paying to watch has become much more common these days with "everyone" paying for at least some streaming service (Netflix+++++).

Andre Oliveira
4th November 2021, 15:20
Ideal will be a boundle with WRC and ERC.

Sulland
4th November 2021, 15:22
Hopefully we will get a discount if we want both!!:D
Feeling optimistic !!!

RS
4th November 2021, 15:23
What they offering sounds genuinely good. The big question is pricing of course, and how that might interact with WRC All-Live.

One other issue this raises is WRC2.. if ERC is going to be All-Live, unless something changes with WRC2 promotion/coverage then ERC is going to be a superior product for sponsors/manufacturers running Rally2 cars.

WRCStan
4th November 2021, 16:20
I don't think I'll pay extra for ERC All Live with copy/paste format. All Live doesn't work for 'dipping in' for me, it either gets my full attention watching racing action or it's not on. Then it also either consumes most of my weekend or it's wasted money. I can watch too much rally. I'll probably stick to ERC highlights packages if they are made.

Franky
4th November 2021, 16:23
Let's stay realistic now. WRC is niche and ERC is even more. The smaller it gets, the smaller the potential audience.

On top of everything, it seems like everyone is trying to establish their own platform. There won't be enough subscribers to make all of them financially viable as at one point people will need to decide what they follow and what not. They'll need to bundle it with their other series.

AndyRAC
4th November 2021, 17:55
Let's stay realistic now. WRC is niche and ERC is even more. The smaller it gets, the smaller the potential audience.

It beggars belief that people still aren't getting this. So we'll have the 2 main international series stuck behind a paywall; how on earth is that going to help?

RS
4th November 2021, 18:40

This is true, but it also depends what else they do. They could for example stream ERC powerstage (if it happens) also on Youtube.. maybe they will make a highlights programme that is distributed further afield than just Eurosport? All-live is for the hardcore fans but as long as the freely available stuff is decent it doesn’t have to be negative that All-Live is behind a paywall.

Just pray that the Youtube output is better than what they provide for WRC2.

Jarek Z
4th November 2021, 18:46
Let's stay realistic now. WRC is niche and ERC is even more.

Yes, exactly. How many people actually watch it? Looking at the live broadcast from Azores no more than 6000 viewers. And how many of them watch it really live? 300 - 400 viewers? That's not many, to put it mildly.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kdMjBLlv3g

RS
4th November 2021, 19:14
Yes, exactly. How many people actually watch it? Looking at the live broadcast from Azores no more than 6000 viewers. And how many of them watch it really live? 300 - 400 viewers? That's not many, to put it mildly.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kdMjBLlv3g

It’s normally more than that watching live but it’s still not big numbers. This suggests ERC Live might have to be bundled with WRC live (and cost increased) to make it viable. Do we know now many subscribers WRC All-Live has and how many are typically watching?

the sniper
4th November 2021, 22:03
Surely ERC will have to be bundled in with WRC All Live, at least. 'All live' gets more content, ERC gets on a level platform with the WRC (whether that's good enough is another question). I've got to say, it would make it more likely that I'd subscribe to 'All Live'. I got stung for the full price in 2020 and this year only used the few free months I got as recompense for that, first year I haven't paid for it. Only seeing half the rallies live has really affected my interest, particularly towards the end of the season. If it stays around the same price, it makes All live better value. That said, I wonder if it wouldn't be better to have ERC 'All Live' on You Tube, where it could be an advert for ERC and WRC All Live. Though that'd presumably rely on each ERC having a national tourist authority to pay for it...

WRCStan
4th November 2021, 22:54
It beggars belief that people still aren't getting this. So we'll have the 2 main international series stuck behind a paywall; how on earth is that going to help?

For live sport it's acceptable to me. What other live sport do you get that isn't paid for by subscription, advertising or a license? I would assume ERC Promotor wants to find free-to-air broadcasters for TV highlight shows like WRC.

AndyRAC
5th November 2021, 09:11
For live sport it's acceptable to me. What other live sport do you get that isn't paid for by subscription, advertising or a license? I would assume ERC Promoter wants to find free-to-air broadcasters for TV highlight shows like WRC.

A few off the top of my head, just in motorsport; Nurburgring (VLN) series, Blancpain GT series, the European Le Mans series all on YouTube, IMSA Weathertech on the series website, the last rounds of the Hard Enduro series on RedBull TV; all free to view. And there are others.

They obviously think rallying is a bigger sport than it actually is - and a paywall is the way to go. I've news for them - it isn't.

mknight
5th November 2021, 11:44
Let's look at it the other way. Current free ERC coverage is simply bad and there is little reason for it to continue like that.

If you want better coverage you need more money from somewhere. They chose to get it from paid subscription. The long term thinking about that is subscription -> better coverage -> sell coverage to more customers/tv channels etc.

Where do you suggest the money should come from, especially if rally is a tiny sport?
Some big sponsors suddenly appearing out of the sky?

...or do you think that crap coverage for little funds (and for free) should stay?

-----------------------
Well the number of spectators at the rally is limited and will likely stay limited or even become more limited in the next few years (COVID, travel costs etc...). The number of "possible" online spectators is unlimited in comparison.
So for long term the sport needs to aim for online spectators.

The really big discussion is if it should aim for online "live" spectators or "watch cool vids later" spectators.

Franky
5th November 2021, 12:38
Subscription doesn't give you more money, it makes the product more exclusive and nothing more.

the sniper
5th November 2021, 13:28
Let's look at it the other way. Current free ERC coverage is simply bad and there is little reason for it to continue like that.
Where do you suggest the money should come from, especially if rally is a tiny sport?
Some big sponsors suddenly appearing out of the sky?

At the very least, don't the Azores and Canaries only get on the calendar because they're willing to pay a reasonable amount for the honour/publicity of being on the calendar? While it might not fit with Ypres' model while being said to be included on the calendar, if you can get the likes of Croatia, Estonia, Latvia, Hungary, ect to pay an increased amount for their All Live coverage, maybe conditionally on being rotated in and out the WRC, maybe you can fund it across a season. We were always told Ypres weren't in the ERC because they wouldn't pay the fee asked, so everyone else included must being paying a reasonable fee to be included already.

I'd love to know what the price would be for two days of NEP/All live coverage. Rough estimate, €150k? Surely someone can tell us or provide a better guess.

You could maybe subsidise that with a small rise, or reallocation of funds, of Championship entry fees.

WRCStan
5th November 2021, 14:47
But then face the prospect of reduced entries. Not every driver/car sponsor is in it for promotion, some is just creative accounting which allows privateers to race. Why burden them with costs and promotion obligations they don't particularly want?

Another question could also be how much of AllLive is an added cost? I believe much of the personnel and equipment are there anyway for Rally HQ and WRC TV. Does AllLive subscriptions subsidise that not the other way round, and would Rally HQ and FIA cope without the plane, tracking, safety monitoring etc?

Mirek
5th November 2021, 14:54
Another question could also be how much of AllLive is an added cost? I believe much of the personnel and equipment are there anyway for Rally HQ and WRC TV. Does AllLive subscriptions subsidise that not the other way round, and would Rally HQ and FIA cope without the plane, tracking, safety monitoring etc?

FIA doesn't use the plane for anything I believe. IMO it's used solely as an antena for transmitting the video feed. The helicopter used for taking the video is also used only for the video stream. Both of that alone adds hugely to the cost. After that you need technical equipment and a crew to process the live video broadcasting which is definitely much more complex than an ex-post processing.

focus206
5th November 2021, 15:27
A few off the top of my head, just in motorsport; Nurburgring (VLN) series, Blancpain GT series, the European Le Mans series all on YouTube, IMSA Weathertech on the series website, the last rounds of the Hard Enduro series on RedBull TV; all free to view. And there are others.

They obviously think rallying is a bigger sport than it actually is - and a paywall is the way to go. I've news for them - it isn't.

I'll add TCR Europe to that list.
All races of Blancpain GT - now called GT World Challenge - continental series (Europe, America, Asia, Australia and an Intercontinental championship) are streamed for free on YouTube, including free practice and qualifying for each race. European events in particular, especially Spa 24h, have a very nice following.
Also the Nurburgring 24h, which is a one off race, has the chat full of invested people during the YouTube stream.

Fast Eddie WRC
5th November 2021, 15:39
If ERC+ uses all the crew and equipment from WRC+ then it will mostly make use of existing expertise and resources. Some extra onboard cameras should be the only extra material outlay. This makes financial sense rather than having two seperate set-ups.

I see a small subscription increase for a bundle as fair for what we'll get compared to the odd live stage like we had. This would also draw in the rally audience from WRC who dont normally follow the ERC.

Live sport being behind a paywall is a fact of life now. I just hope one of the main sport tv networks still show the WRC/ERC stream, or at least show a live 'tv stage' and the power stage to catch and convert the non-rally fan.

mknight
6th November 2021, 08:44
Subscription doesn't give you more money, it makes the product more exclusive and nothing more.

Tell Netflix subscription doesn't give them money.

Franky
6th November 2021, 09:11
Tell Netflix subscription doesn't give them money.

Since 2012 Netflix has had annual free cash flow positive only twice. 2013 and 2020. (https://www.nasdaq.com/articles/will-netflix-stock-become-a-cash-generating-machine-2021-04-12)

Do you think the promotor has the money to burn like Netflix has been doing to establish itself?

Even if there would be 1000 ERC subscribers paying 100 Euros per year, then that 100k is still peanuts compared to TV rights.

lmmjvss
6th November 2021, 13:37
Do you think the costs for the privateers will ramp up just to compete in 1 or 2 events?
Cuz the promoter say "Oh, with more exposure, more drivers will find sponsors to compete"... But normally the reality for the privateers is: "oh, the fee is up by $10k this year. Im out. Just doing my country's championship now"

mknight
6th November 2021, 17:12
Since 2012 Netflix has had annual free cash flow positive only twice. 2013 and 2020. (https://www.nasdaq.com/articles/will-netflix-stock-become-a-cash-generating-machine-2021-04-12)

Do you think the promotor has the money to burn like Netflix has been doing to establish itself?

Even if there would be 1000 ERC subscribers paying 100 Euros per year, then that 100k is still peanuts compared to TV rights.

Which TV is currently paying for TV rights and showing ERC? I am not aware of any TV I can watch it on in the coutries I stay for longer periods.

If some is, that money is clearly not enough to give good and accessible coverage. ( The current free coverage is pretty bad).

How do you suggest they get more money for better coverage then?

Subscription might not give massive ammounts at first, but the potential is quite big.
The promoter has a ready concept and equipment from WRC, so their starting expenses are not as big.

Franky
6th November 2021, 18:40
mknight, I have one simple question for you based on your first question. Is there a market for ERC All Live, if there's little interest from TV channels?

Keep in mind, it's far cheaper to improve the highlights than to produce 12-17 live stages.

RS
7th November 2021, 04:39
Which TV is currently paying for TV rights and showing ERC? I am not aware of any TV I can watch it on in the coutries I stay for longer periods.

I don’t know about nowadays, but at one stage the WRC rights holder was actually paying tv some channels to show their programmes.

It’s a shame because I think if live rallying (especially the power stage format) was on FTA tv it could prove very popular but these days rallying is probably not politically correct enough to gain the interest of any major tv channel, in the UK at least. Perhaps if they go all electric or ban men from driving they might stand a chance.

RS
7th November 2021, 04:46
mknight, I have one simple question for you based on your first question. Is there a market for ERC All Live, if there's little interest from TV channels?

Keep in mind, it's far cheaper to improve the highlights than to produce 12-17 live stages.

Do we know how many subscribers WRC all-live has these days?

I can see them offering ERC all-live at a stand-alone price but throwing it in for ‘free’ with WRC all-live (whilst increasing the price)

Franky
7th November 2021, 15:35

I can see them offering ERC all-live at a stand-alone price but throwing it in for ‘free’ with WRC all-live (whilst increasing the price)

Don't think they have ever really said how many subscribers they have.

the sniper
7th November 2021, 20:27

As Franky says, have we ever known...?

Sulland
8th November 2021, 05:57
I am guessing that Dirtfish reads forums to keep on top of what is important for the blood-fans of rally.

Maybe they will ask the right people?

AndyRAC
8th November 2021, 09:20
Don't think they have ever really said how many subscribers they have.

They would if it was a decent number; one assumes the figures aren't particularly big.

lmmjvss
8th November 2021, 20:51
They would if it was a decent number; one assumes the figures aren't particularly big.

I imagine it would be something close to the number of the recent donations to ewrc page... No?

WRCStan
8th November 2021, 22:58
I imagine it would be something close to the number of the recent donations to ewrc page... No?

Lol. I know subscribers who think rally begins and ends with WRC and wouldn't know what ewrc is if I showed them. The WRC Factbook claims 78million TV viewers per event in 2020. I wouldn't like to guess but it's undoubtedly, significantly higher than your estimate.

Franky
9th November 2021, 06:40
Even with 78 million there's the question. Is it unique viewers or cumulative as you can add together all the stage broadcast and highlights viewers?

Mirek
9th November 2021, 16:57
Lol. I know subscribers who think rally begins and ends with WRC and wouldn't know what ewrc is if I showed them. The WRC Factbook claims 78million TV viewers per event in 2020. I wouldn't like to guess but it's undoubtedly, significantly higher than your estimate.

Even with 78 million there's the question. Is it unique viewers or cumulative as you can add together all the stage broadcast and highlights viewers?

TV viewers and subscribers are two different groups of people. The number of TV viewers says nothing about the number of subscribers for wrc+. The number of subscribers is for sure several orders of magnitude lower.

Fast Eddie WRC
9th November 2021, 17:59
Plus some countries have the WRC+ All Live stream on TV as part of a sports channel package. Viewer figures from these would need to be added too.

the sniper
9th November 2021, 21:25
Plus some countries have the WRC+ All Live stream on TV as part of a sports channel package. Viewer figures from these would need to be added too.

I wonder how many subscribers that's lost them and whether the tv deal revenue makes up for it?

AndyRAC
9th November 2021, 22:08
I doubt any British TV deal brings in anything significant; it's probably peanuts......

Ricardo Filipe Matos
12th November 2021, 22:33
Why "Rally2-kit (ex R4) News & Results" topic are locked?

Tom K
2nd December 2021, 14:13
So, no Ypres in ERC. And it's positive news :) 8 rounds its enough.

http://www.rallye-infos.site/le-rallye-dypres-retrouve-sa-date-initiale-mais-la-lerc/

Mirek
2nd December 2021, 16:56
So, no Ypres in ERC. And it's positive news :) 8 rounds its enough.

http://www.rallye-infos.site/le-rallye-dypres-retrouve-sa-date-initiale-mais-la-lerc/

I don't know... it could have been a better motivation to come and see Tommeke & co again :)

Tom K
2nd December 2021, 18:59
Invite them for Barum then :)

Tom K
6th December 2021, 13:15
Probably no Hungary in ERC 2022.

Fast Eddie WRC
8th December 2021, 14:42
ERC+ will be included in your WRC+ subscription:

https://www.wrc.com/en/news/2021/wrcplus/european-rally-championship-erc-added-to-wrcplus/

https://dirtfish.com/rally/erc/wrc-streaming-platform-adds-erc-in-2022/

https://www.wrc.com/images/redaktion/Season-2021-NEWS/WRCplus/November/16_9_6161f_f_1400x788.jpg

AndyRAC
8th December 2021, 17:22
I'm not convinced having the two main championships behind a paywall is a great idea.......

Jarek Z
8th December 2021, 19:01
Me neither.

PLuto
8th December 2021, 20:15
I also dont have positive feeling of these changes...

RS
9th December 2021, 00:16
I'm not convinced having the two main championships behind a paywall is a great idea.......

It depends what other coverage there is, perhaps a highlights show will appear on FTA somewhere?

Eurosport era ERC was kind of behind a paywall too (although many people would have had Eurosport as part of their tv package already, and the Youtube content was also very good)

It’s a good move that it’s a free addition to WRC+ at least. That might bring a few more paying subscribers to them and may bring some new fans to ERC who are already WRC+ subscribers too.

Andre Oliveira
9th December 2021, 08:11

Here in Portugal, Eurosport is not FTA... so...

Arnold Triyudho Wardono
9th December 2021, 10:15
I'm not convinced having the two main championships behind a paywall is a great idea.......Especially after they removed WRX's full races videos on YouTube..(now I'm worry if they'll also removing the onboard vids)

Sent from my M2010J19CG using Tapatalk

mknight
9th December 2021, 10:34
Does anyone here seriously thought this years free coverage (on Youtube) was good? (Eurosport is a paid channel)

I was following almost all rallies and just about everywhere I rather watched the local free footage both from (semi)-proffesional production and just random people standing on the stages where it was available (Roma, Azores, Barum).

The free youtube footage showed only stage end interviews most of the time, often without even knowing the stagetimes. When there were heli shots, the stage end reporter couldn't see them in sync so it was like watching something and listening to something else.
On top of that there were usually 2 stages per day max.

So now the free footage from others will mostly stay, and on top of that you get Alllive (for free for those already paying for WRC). And here this is considered as terrible.

I can agree that 2 "free" TV stages with Allive level coverage and "nothing" for rest of the day might be better than Allive on all stages for money.
But if the choice is between free and almost useless coverage and Allive for money, the choice is simple.

WRCStan
9th December 2021, 12:29
Does anyone here seriously thought this years free coverage (on Youtube) was good? (Eurosport is a paid channel)

I generally enjoyed it, but I wouldn't have paid for it. I'm not expecting to see 'action' and it's a good way to dip into the rally with people who know their subject and present it naturally. I can also do something else whilst watching if I want. Wouldn't going live with the Youtube channels give two-minute gaps of dead air between seconds of a passing car? I'm happy to accept waiting until after the rally these days to see action highlights and these channels obviously work well because they can cut a few days into a few minutes. Truth is, the quality of highlights isn't compromised whilst sometimes AllLive footage makes my eyes hurt when it's kilometre after kilometre of blocky, stalling, pixels. This is the technical limit of being live rather than any other factor.

The question to throw back is what do people want from 'live', unless it's the technical limits like cameras the full length of every stage and guaranteed comms links. What do the local semi-pros do better? To answer my own question I'd like to choose who I ride onboard with. Is that unfeasible?

PLuto
9th December 2021, 13:19
Dont forget that everything is also matter of budget. If you have big budget, you can make everything - live from all stages, put onboard cameras into the cars, put static cameras to every second corner of the stage etc. But everything about compromise between value and budget...

WRCStan
9th December 2021, 13:59
Dont forget that everything is also matter of budget. If you have big budget, you can make everything - live from all stages, put onboard cameras into the cars, put static cameras to every second corner of the stage etc. But everything about compromise between value and budget...

And also increase the value/budget. Have the cars pass fewer cameras multiple times all at once. This is obvious.

Delayed highlights are free whether it's from Passats or Official (what was on Eurosport this year that wasn't on YT?) and unless anybody has any suggestions about what Live product they would be willing to pay for, my take from these forums is that the demand for Live is falling based on what is possible.

Jarek Z
9th December 2021, 15:14
I generally enjoyed it, but I wouldn't have paid for it.

I have never paid for watching rallying on TV. Am I a bad rally fan?

seb_sh
9th December 2021, 15:25
Nothing is free, even on "free to air" you pay for it by watching comercials. Personally i prefer to pay directly for things i'm interested in and get proper coverage without stupid commercials. There is the issue of growth and for that you need good marketing and social media. Maybe it's better to push for online and on demand stuff with some free stages here and there. But maybe i'm a special case i don't have a TV subscription for 10 years now, haven't missed it at all...

mknight
9th December 2021, 15:46
To answer my own question I'd like to choose who I ride onboard with. Is that unfeasible?

That's technically possible, but would need some more funds for upgrades to the equipment compared to what is used right now. I believe mostly to the equipment onboard the relay aircraft.

There are usually only max . 2-4 cars on the stage at the same time anyway, except for very long stages.

lmmjvss
9th December 2021, 17:34
Im just happy Im probably getting those 30 to 40 min highlights cuz I dont have Eurosport here in South America and the youtube/fb coverage is not that great. I dont care much about interviews after the stages. Im always more interested in seeing the cars at fan's videos. Add some comments about the times and positions and thats perfect.
ERC post some of the events highlights (30 to 40min) but they dont do that for every round (or at least Im geo-blocked from most of them) Rally is very difficult to promote and people consume media in a differente way nowadays. If its hard to WRC imagine for ERC.....

RS
9th December 2021, 19:44

I was following almost all rallies and just about everywhere I rather watched the local free footage both from (semi)-proffesional production and just random people standing on the stages where it was available (Roma, Azores, Barum).

The free youtube footage showed only stage end interviews most of the time, often without even knowing the stagetimes. When there were heli shots, the stage end reporter couldn't see them in sync so it was like watching something and listening to something else.
On top of that there were usually 2 stages per day max.

So now the free footage from others will mostly stay, and on top of that you get Alllive (for free for those already paying for WRC). And here this is considered as terrible.

I can agree that 2 "free" TV stages with Allive level coverage and "nothing" for rest of the day might be better than Allive on all stages for money.
But if the choice is between free and almost useless coverage and Allive for money, the choice is simple.

The free ‘live’ stuff wasn’t very good quality I agree, however Eurosport were very good at uploading many full stage onboards very quickly to Youtube. i expect we’ll lose that next year unless we’re paying.

mknight
9th December 2021, 22:10
The free ‘live’ stuff wasn’t very good quality I agree, however Eurosport were very good at uploading many full stage onboards very quickly to Youtube. i expect we’ll lose that next year unless we’re paying.

Yes they were uploading quite a few onboards. However, I never understood their uploading logic. It almost seemed that they always uploaded the less interesting stages and not the important ones on purpose. Likely cause they could "sell" the top stages somewhere else.
For example the epic last Saturday stage of Cais on Barum was not uploaded by them, instead itbwas uploaded 2? months later by MSport. Instead Eurosport uploaded someone from the stage before and after.

AndyRAC
10th December 2021, 09:19

The coverage of the ERC by Eurosport was a bit second rate, almost 'old school'. Highlights late at night, 'live coverage' on YouTube of the end of stage interviews, etc Perfectly fine 10-15 years ago, but not anymore.
Following the success of the IRC, it seemed quite a come down and Eurosport seemed quite content to do as little as they did.

On the motorsport forums I go on, the ERC very rarely gets commented upon - I wonder if this will change, being linked to the WRC?

Sulland
10th December 2021, 12:14
Was it not Eurosport that covered the IRC back in the days?

I just remember Monte in 09, where I learned crossing tyres for the first time.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PUAyYdI71JA
A certain frenchman is also there.....

AndyRAC
10th December 2021, 15:24
Yes, it was - they started the live coverage in October 2008, at Valais; and it looked very promising. Then, we had the Monte with live coverage of all but one stage. However, not every event was like that.
I can't remember how many events, since the relaunch of the in ERC in 2013 they covered live; but it was definitely a downgrade in coverage.

Mirek
10th December 2021, 16:39
Yes, it was - they started the live coverage in October 2008, at Valais; and it looked very promising. Then, we had the Monte with live coverage of all but one stage. However, not every event was like that.
I can't remember how many events, since the relaunch of the in ERC in 2013 they covered live; but it was definitely a downgrade in coverage.

At that time the IRC was a real competition to the struggling WRC. The works teams came to the IRC and a lot of money came with them too. When the WRC got back in shape and the IRC/ERC became again a playground of privateers and youngsters, there was naturally a lot less money in the game than before.

The live IRC footage was mostly paid by the event organizers, be it Monte Carlo, Cyprus or other events. Where the organizers didn't find the money there was no live footage. Simple as that. We do remember the highlights of the IRC era but those live TV events counted for only a minority of the events in the calendar. The majority had no live footage even in the golden IRC era.

AndyRAC
11th December 2021, 09:26
Yes, if the organiser didn't have the money, then no live TV; I remember being disappointed that there was no live coverage of Circuit of Ireland.....but if there's no money.....

Fast Eddie WRC
11th December 2021, 11:07
For existing rally fans this seems a good thing, as at least the full 'live stage' coverage will be top quality. And its extra 'free' rallying for WRC+ subscribers.

Eurosport have done ok with their live YT/FB shows but it was far from the WRC+ quality.

The only drawback is for those that don't or can't pay, and also the reduction in new fans that the free coverage may have brought in.

WRCStan
15th December 2021, 17:10
Here you go fellow wonks, 2022 Regional Rally Sporting Regs:

https://www.fia.com/sites/default/files/211215_-_2022_fia_regional_rally_sporting_regulations_0.pd f

Andre Oliveira
15th December 2021, 17:35
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FGq1BhAWYAQihhD?format=jpg&name=large

Eli
15th December 2021, 18:22
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FGq1BhAWYAQihhD?format=jpg&name=large

So much for adding a 9th round, and as much as I'm happy to see Azores, we could do with another country instead of going to Portugal twice (for Fafe), perhaps Cyprus? Maybe Corsica? Didn't they also talk about adding Ypres back to the ERC after this year?

Andre Oliveira
15th December 2021, 18:30
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FGrBqW5XMAAa-5E?format=jpg&name=medium

RS
15th December 2021, 22:06
For existing rally fans this seems a good thing, as at least the full 'live stage' coverage will be top quality. And its extra 'free' rallying for WRC+ subscribers.

Eurosport have done ok with their live YT/FB shows but it was far from the WRC+ quality.

The only drawback is for those that don't or can't pay, and also the reduction in new fans that the free coverage may have brought in.

According to the press release on fiaerc.com: ‘The Power Stage will be broadcast live on international networks as well as on WRC+ All Live.’

Sulland
16th December 2021, 08:39
I did not like that the cars in most classes must use tyres from a FIA appointed brand.
It takes away the option of a crew to get tyres sponsed from a company. Tyres has become a big part of costs for a privateer.

Here in Norway 1 winter rally tyre now cost 5000 NOK, aprox 500 euro, so 2000 euro foa a set of Pirellis or Michelins.

I am not sure how a deal like this works, do cometitors in WRC and ERC get better prices, or does a sponsordeal like this only mean money for FIA?

Fast Eddie WRC
16th December 2021, 08:42
Familiar face takes ERC manager role

With the departure of Eurosport Events as ERC’s series promoter, long-time championship co-ordinator Jean-Baptiste Ley also exited stage left, necessitating a new captain to steer the ship.

The WMSC bulletin confirmed that Iain Campbell will take the reins, a man with decades of rallying experience.

Iain campbell
In addition to his stints as manager of the British Rally Championship and as Rally GB’s clerk of the course, he’s also officiated several WRC rounds as chair of the stewards.

“We’re not planning huge changes for 2022 but I’ll be keeping a keen eye on ideas for the future as the season progresses,” said Campbell of his new appointment. “It’s great to take up this role at the start of WRC Promoter’s ERC tenure and I can’t wait to get started.”

Campbell will take up his new role in January.

https://dirtfish.com/rally/wrc/what-the-latest-wmsc-decisions-mean-for-rallying/

Andre Oliveira
16th December 2021, 08:51
I did not like that the cars in most classes must use tyres from a FIA appointed brand.
It takes away the option of a crew to get tyres sponsed from a company. Tyres has become a big part of costs for a privateer.

Here in Norway 1 winter rally tyre now cost 5000 NOK, aprox 500 euro, so 2000 euro foa a set of Pirellis or Michelins.

I am not sure how a deal like this works, do cometitors in WRC and ERC get better prices, or does a sponsordeal like this only mean money for FIA?

Not clear if one make or only tyres of FIA approved makes.

PLuto
18th December 2021, 20:20
Not clear if one make or only tyres of FIA approved makes.

As far as I understand, you will use tyre of brand which will be registered to FIA. So it is (like usually) only about money.

Andre Oliveira
18th December 2021, 23:35
Tyres registered is different of unique tyres.

tommeke_B
19th December 2021, 07:53

For WRC, the years before DMack left the rules were different, and the tyre choice was pretty much free (I think there were 3 of 4 brands to choose from for S2000/R5), from pretty much every brand you would get some discount if you participated in a WRC event. I remember from DMack the offer was roughly 25% on the advertised price, and that was their proposal for a small team without much negotiating. Now the tyre manufacturer has to pay FIA/promotor (or both) for having the monopoly, so I think the days of negotiating prices are over, as there's nothing to choose from... ;)

In ERC there was still some free tyre choice this year (Michelin/Pirelli/MRF) so I guess there was still some room for negotiating, especially for teams doing the whole championship. Let's wait and see if this changes with the new promotor... I know that in our small country (Belgium), for the national championship Pirelli was appointed this year, as obligatory tyre for all 4WD cars, so that also raised the expenses for the teams a lot. I hope it doesn't become a common thing in all national championships.

PLuto
19th December 2021, 11:56
For WRC, the years before DMack left the rules were different, and the tyre choice was pretty much free (I think there were 3 of 4 brands to choose from for S2000/R5), from pretty much every brand you would get some discount if you participated in a WRC event. I remember from DMack the offer was roughly 25% on the advertised price, and that was their proposal for a small team without much negotiating. Now the tyre manufacturer has to pay FIA/promotor (or both) for having the monopoly, so I think the days of negotiating prices are over, as there's nothing to choose from... ;)

In ERC there was still some free tyre choice this year (Michelin/Pirelli/MRF) so I guess there was still some room for negotiating, especially for teams doing the whole championship. Let's wait and see if this changes with the new promotor... I know that in our small country (Belgium), for the national championship Pirelli was appointed this year, as obligatory tyre for all 4WD cars, so that also raised the expenses for the teams a lot. I hope it doesn't become a common thing in all national championships.

From my point of view, each unique supplier (doesnt matter if tyres or fuel or anything else) is usually helping to bring the money to the promoter/championship organiser, but in fact it make it more expensive for competitors...

Andre Oliveira
19th December 2021, 21:21
And it is non sense. Rally is competition, competition between drivers/codriver, makes, teams, tyres,...

I am very sad cause our sport are choose that way.

Tom K
20th December 2021, 12:11
Politics or also mess made by DirtFish. They even wrongly named that particular stage... The reason could be crash on the last "normal" stage on Friday (Santa Lucia 2). Almost on the finish line Clio was off the road and hit more than one spectator's car. I love Spanish way of spectating with whole night picnic (even when you can easliy access the stage in the not-so-early morning) but sometimes they park their cars with a little bit of hazard.

Tom K
21st December 2021, 09:20
It is the accident which I mentioned, yes (Peugeot, not Clio, sorry). Probably one of the few cuts on this rally, but the big one. Road was full of gravel. I do not know if it is cause of complaint. But for me it is more logic, than the fact that somebody has fallen from the rock....

YerayEcoBoost
23rd December 2021, 17:57
Young Finnish 18 year old Toni Herranen will take part in several rounds of ERC4 Junior in 2022 to gain experience for the future

https://www.rallism.fi/content/fi/1/735000/20068/18-vuotias%20Toni%20Herranen%20mukaan%20rallin%20EM-sarjaan%20-%20%22Hieno%20mahdollisuus%20mitata%20vauhtia%20ka nsainv%C3%A4liseen%20k%C3%A4rkeen%22.html?fbclid=I wAR317qkQb8akI1539eafO-QSy5H2PqfjypA1cuApmJhHbbPxfPit9FJynFA

Jarek Z
26th December 2021, 16:37
Norbert Herczig plans to drive a full 2022 European Rally Championship campaign:
https://www.fiaerc.com/ercs-hungary-herczig-aiming-high/

RallyFan13
11th January 2022, 12:12
Any News about the host Country of last Round of ERC?

Danny0405
23rd January 2022, 22:37
https://www.fia.com/news/wrc-s-loeb-its-more-we-expected

No ERC campaign for Mikkelsen, he will do Sweden in addition to Monte but no further plan after that. So maybe more open this year, maybe with also Kajto’s return as he might be a little short for the WRC-2.
Don’t know what plans for Meeke, Llarena and Marczyk (WRC-2 Junior for the two last ones?).

Q:
What is your programme, will you do ERC as well this year?
AM:
I will not do the ERC. It was so busy with rallies coming straight after after each other. We do this rally and Sweden, but we didn’t decide after that.

Tom K
24th January 2022, 09:18
Kajto for sure not in ERC. Marczyk probably WRC 2 also.

YerayEcoBoost
27th January 2022, 18:46
Clio Trophy by Toksport repeats in the FIA ERC 2022 and already has a calendar (Azores, Canarias, Liepaja, Roma y Barum)

https://www.motoradiario.com/rallyes/item/8842-la-clio-trophy-by-toksport-una-monomarca-mas-en-el-islas-canarias

TWRC
29th January 2022, 06:47
Érdi has announced that due to the rule changes and other factors, they will not be participating in the ERC this season.

Sulland
29th January 2022, 08:42
Érdi has announced that due to the rule changes and other factors, they will not be participating in the ERC this season.

what are the rule changes and factors that makes him not wanting to drive in ERC2?

Tom K
29th January 2022, 09:09
what are the rule changes and factors that makes him not wanting to drive in ERC2?

Probably no ERC2 category in 2022 :)

Andre Oliveira
31st January 2022, 08:53
Still no clear about tyres.

*To score ERC points, drivers must use tyres supplied by a manufacturer registered with the FIA and WRC Promoter under a new system from 2022.

Sulland
31st January 2022, 12:33
Probably no ERC2 category in 2022 :)

Ahh so they cut GrN/ Oreca Kit already this year. Thought it would take another year.

Byt then they will have 3 car classes, same as WRC. But they will have Rally4 and a Rally5 cup by TokSport, or will Rally5 be its own class in ERC?

Tom K
31st January 2022, 13:06
Yes ERC2 is axed. During one of the very first meeting between WRC Promoter and competitiors they told Rally2-Kit guys that there will be something for them but apparently it's not.

ERC in general
ERC3 - for Rally3 cars
ERC4 - for Rally4 and Rally5 cars jointed and ERC4 Junior is main junior category in ERC again

plus
RGT Cup
Clio Trophy by Toksport with Clios Rally5.

PLuto
31st January 2022, 13:10
There will be trophies:

ERC (all cars)
ERC Team (all teams)
ERC3 (Rally3)
ERC4 (Rally4+Rally5)
ERC4 Junior (Rally4+Rally5)
Clio Trophy by Toksport (Clio Rally5 run by Toksport)

Regarding R4 cars with Oreca Kit, it was intention of FIA to kill this class (and whole ERC2) in ERC from 2022, it was announced to all competitors before season 2021 (and they had informations also months before). Despite for whole season there were attempts to change this decision. We will see how it will be, but maybe there is a chance there will be new trophy for ex-ERC2 cars this year.

the sniper
31st January 2022, 15:39
Regarding R4 cars with Oreca Kit, it was intention of FIA to kill this class (and whole ERC2) in ERC from 2022, it was announced to all competitors before season 2021 (and they had informations also months before). Despite for whole season there were attempts to change this decision. We will see how it will be, but maybe there is a chance there will be new trophy for ex-ERC2 cars this year.

Wait... You mean Audi now AREN'T back in rallying?! Someone better tell the Facebookers... ;)

PLuto
31st January 2022, 18:22
Wait... You mean Audi now AREN'T back in rallying?! Someone better tell the Facebookers... ;)

They are in rallying. They can compete in general classification :)

Mirek
31st January 2022, 18:57

For me the end of ERC2 as it was is a correct decision. Like it or not ERC2 never ever had a level worth of ERC champion title. Some cup why not but a championship for three gentlemen drivers? No.

Sulland
31st January 2022, 19:45
For me the end of ERC2 as it was is a correct decision. Like it or not ERC2 never ever had a level worth of ERC champion title. Some cup why not but a championship for three gentlemen drivers? No.

maybe we will see the 3 gentlemen back in a Rally3 car, being quicker than ever!
In my opinion many gentlemen drivers in Rally2 cars would be better suited in a Rally3 car.

PLuto
31st January 2022, 20:04

My opinion is completely different. ERC2 has potential, especially with R4 cars (their not so big and especially early success is different story), but mixture of old group N cars, R4 and RGT is not bad. And I think season 2021 was not bad in terms of this class...

Tom K
31st January 2022, 21:20
I would also leave at least Rally2-Kit Cup. There were Suzuki Iberica + various drivers + interesting stories, like Victor Cartier with his own Yaris. Erdi was also trying Rally2-Kit Fabia during Islas Canarias so maybe he was thinking about switching.

Mirek
31st January 2022, 21:32
My opinion is completely different. ERC2 has potential, especially with R4 cars (their not so big and especially early success is different story), but mixture of old group N cars, R4 and RGT is not bad. And I think season 2021 was not bad in terms of this class...

It was the only so so ERC2 season in the past ten years and even then it was not worthy of European champion title because while it had considerable number of entrants the competition level was still very low. See Feofanov was vice-champion, nothing against him but that would not be possible in any other international series and most likely not even in any other respected national one.

As I said, cup yes, championship no.

PLuto
1st February 2022, 11:00
It was the only so so ERC2 season in the past ten years and even then it was not worthy of European champion title because while it had considerable number of entrants the competition level was still very low. See Feofanov was vice-champion, nothing against him but that would not be possible in any other international series and most likely not even in any other respected national one.

As I said, cup yes, championship no.

I dont think that level was lower than for example FIA RGT Cup (which is in fact world championship with proper title), African Rally Championship,Middle East or even ERT...

YerayEcoBoost
2nd February 2022, 09:37
Lukasz Kotarba of BTH Rally Team will participate in the full European championship programme with Citroën C3 Rally2

106 sport
2nd February 2022, 13:06
Beautiful livery.

RICARDO75
3rd February 2022, 13:28
Paulo Nobre with Motorsport Italia on WRC2 and ERC

Tom K
4th February 2022, 15:28
Any news about Azores Rally? Rally is from Friday to Sunday, and I don't suspect any big changes to the route but every info will be appreciated. Mainly time of the beginning of Friday's activities.

PLuto
4th February 2022, 17:52
Any news about Azores Rally? Rally is from Friday to Sunday, and I don't suspect any big changes to the route but every info will be appreciated. Mainly time of the beginning of Friday's activities.

Azores always finish on Saturday...

RICARDO75
4th February 2022, 21:07

Friday it's Q.S. on afternoon. Rally will run this year on saturday and sunday.
Schedules adjusted for live stages and maybe a new stage :)

Tom K
4th February 2022, 21:42
Azores always finish on Saturday...

I know, but the dates are 25-27.03, and I confirmed this with their social media channels :)

Thanks RICARDO75. Friday start was important to me.

Reis Eduardo
5th February 2022, 15:34
When will the ERC website be updated and the information on the first events will be published?

Sulland
9th February 2022, 11:09
Still no clear about tyres.

*To score ERC points, drivers must use tyres supplied by a manufacturer registered with the FIA and WRC Promoter under a new system from 2022.

On the website Pirelli and Michelin have their brandsigns at the bottom of the page, together with P1 fuel. But they put in a MRF sponsored car in todays article on Power stage.
So who knows.

Fast Eddie WRC
9th February 2022, 15:39
Lukyanuk has been very quiet lately - I wonder if funding is a problem again.

With Mikkelsen confirmed as not doing the 2022 ERC, if Lukyanuk was also absent it would be an interesting fresh championship for new contenders to emerge.

Andre Oliveira
10th February 2022, 08:45
https://www.fiaerc.com/feofanov-considering-erc3-switch-in-fiesta-rally3/?fbclid=IwAR1V1kkr4iMy3ocPSv14LBoUgaW-UF9YqLu_A9nftww28F3eEkeugVn-JOE

PLuto
10th February 2022, 14:33
On the website Pirelli and Michelin have their brandsigns at the bottom of the page, together with P1 fuel. But they put in a MRF sponsored car in todays article on Power stage.
So who knows.

This is mostly still "old" version of ERC website. I expect there will be brand new one in style of WRC.

Tom K
16th February 2022, 08:14
They created ERC Open: https://www.fiaerc.com/new-erc-open-category-for-2022-confirmed/

Andre Oliveira
16th February 2022, 09:13
Hankook here

http://www.peachaparacing.es/2022/02/javier-pardo-repetira-participacion-en.html?fbclid=IwAR1-aq7CQvBZZWEkisAhk-1ZroNmxBwxT6bvavxpvn0DGCkDX8dubDXFC9A&m=1

WRCStan
16th February 2022, 13:48
They created ERC Open: https://www.fiaerc.com/new-erc-open-category-for-2022-confirmed/

Please call it ERC2. Why would they call it ERC Open alongside ERC? Is ERC no longer open and only for Rally2 cars?

WTAF?

pantealex
16th February 2022, 17:15
Please call it ERC2. Why would they call it ERC Open alongside ERC? Is ERC no longer open and only for Rally2 cars?

WTAF?

ERC2 should be only for Rally2 just like WRC2 is.

ERC3 has same car than WRC3

but I also think OPEN is stupid name for class which have only Rally2+Kit, N and R-GT allowed.

Kenneth
16th February 2022, 17:41
Imo Open ERC would be better. It's just a small difference, but to me ERC Open looks like overall standings no matter a class, meanwhile Open ERC seems like open for cars that have no class.

Kenneth
16th February 2022, 17:43
Anyway no matter the name, it's great news! ERC should be open for gentleman drivers as much as possible.

dimviii
16th February 2022, 18:25
Νο news about Luky?

Andre Oliveira
17th February 2022, 15:08
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FLz5kVEXIAM4sps?format=jpg&name=large

https://www.fiaerc.com/new-era-new-logo-for-erc/

HKSjbg
17th February 2022, 17:53
I get that it makes sense to bring the branding in line with the WRC but it’s kinda ridiculous that they decided the 20 year old WRC logo was the one worth sticking with

Andre Oliveira
17th February 2022, 19:31
Hankook here

http://www.peachaparacing.es/2022/02/javier-pardo-repetira-participacion-en.html?fbclid=IwAR1-aq7CQvBZZWEkisAhk-1ZroNmxBwxT6bvavxpvn0DGCkDX8dubDXFC9A&m=1

So, Hankook need register to Pardo score…

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FL011JTXMAIMEMN?format=jpg&name=medium

Jarek Z
17th February 2022, 20:00
I get that it makes sense to bring the branding in line with the WRC but it’s kinda ridiculous that they decided the 20 year old WRC logo was the one worth sticking with

It looks better than the previous logo, doesn't it?

https://s3.eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/static.fiaerc.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/10_erclogo051212-400x237.jpg

Fast Eddie WRC
17th February 2022, 21:27
Lukyanuk has been very quiet lately - I wonder if funding is a problem again.

With Mikkelsen confirmed as not doing the 2022 ERC, if Lukyanuk was also absent it would be an interesting fresh championship for new contenders to emerge.

Lukyanuk re-posted the new ERC Promo video on Insta today, so he's still interested.

WRCStan
17th February 2022, 21:52
It looks better than the previous logo, doesn't it?

Nothing wrong with it - but just because I've seen so many rip-offs of the WRC logo this looks like a fan made it. Sure it'll become normal though.

Bartolbia84
18th February 2022, 08:05
https://www.rallyeslalom.com/suzuki-iberica-sbarca-nellerc2-con-vinyes-e-monarri/

Reis Eduardo
22nd February 2022, 15:31
Erik Cais test in Portugal today
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yk52WXVv20

YerayEcoBoost
25th February 2022, 15:15
Miklós Csomós and Naggy Atila will contest seven rounds (excluding Azores) of the FIA ERC in 2022. They will take part with a Skoda Fabia R5 and Hankook tires

Fast Eddie WRC
27th February 2022, 13:11
Alexey Lukyanuk @AlexeyLukyanuk

We do not need war. We are for sport, friendship and peace. I have Ukrainian family name, though live in Russia. My co-driver’s wife is half Ukrainian with relatives there. We’ve got a question on one of the forums, if we plan any participation.

We have friends and relatives on both sides of the border. We vote for peace. In 2015 my crew was already using the peaceful livery. And now we need peace first, we hope for and believe in the rapid peaceful solution. While the people keep dying, there would be no rallies for us.

Fast Eddie WRC
27th February 2022, 13:15
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FMm9p4AXEAEbnVp?format=jpg&name=900x900

YerayEcoBoost
27th February 2022, 19:30
Kaspar Kasari will take part in ERC 2022 in a Ford Fiesta Rally3.

His first race at Fafe

Fast Eddie WRC
28th February 2022, 10:44
https://dirtfish.com/rally/wrc/lukyanuk-wont-compete-while-russia-ukraine-war-is-ongoing/

PLuto
28th February 2022, 12:10
https://dirtfish.com/rally/wrc/lukyanuk-wont-compete-while-russia-ukraine-war-is-ongoing/

True is he was not planning to compete, no matter the war...

RS
28th February 2022, 19:50
So far no high profile drivers have committed to ‘new’ ERC. You’d think All-Live tv package would make it more attractive.

tommeke_B
1st March 2022, 05:39
Eurosport did great promotion, and a lot of stages were live, for free... Putting it behind a paywall, having lack of clear communication and a ridiculous entry fee for the first round in Portugal don't help much for hesitant competitors.

YerayEcoBoost
1st March 2022, 08:14
Herczig whit MRF Tyres in ERC 2022https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220301/ab1cd04bbac4ddc116e9cda62f5a1897.jpg

Enviado desde mi MI 8 Lite mediante Tapatalk

Fast Eddie WRC
1st March 2022, 09:33
True is he was not planning to compete, no matter the war...

No former-Champions to act as the benchmark then, plus the others now gone to WRC2. A new ERC era in more ways than one in '22.

PLuto
1st March 2022, 10:08
No former-Champions to act as the benchmark then, plus the others now gone to WRC2. A new ERC era in more ways than one in '22.

Currently only 4 drivers from top ten of last year ERC are planning to start in Fafe. And only two of them as regulars in ERC...

Sulland
1st March 2022, 16:55
New website for ERC, and it is a twinsite of WRC. In one way it is good, since it is easy and different things is on similar place in the menu.
But when WRC.com is ilogical, then the twin adopts the same shit.

Someone should go in and make some logical changes.

I would also like to see some history, and historic standings from last years.

Maybe the promotor would like the eWRC database to be the International rally memory bank, amd makes a deal??

Andre Oliveira
1st March 2022, 18:15
Btw, with some mistakes (Pedro Almeida and Mário Castro are portuguese, Axel is Coronado not Coronada, Tania Canton is suisse, etc)

https://www.fiaerc.com/erc/championship/teams-drivers/erc/

RS
1st March 2022, 18:31
Herczig whit MRF Tyres in ERC 2022https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220301/ab1cd04bbac4ddc116e9cda62f5a1897.jpg

Enviado desde mi MI 8 Lite mediante Tapatalk

Three car team on all ERC rounds for MRF, who also become and ERC commercial partner:

https://www.fiaerc.com/erc/news/erc/2022/mrf-fields-three-car-squad-in-2022-erc/

Good news.. not quite as high profile drivers as last year though.

Jarek Z
1st March 2022, 19:11
Three car team on all ERC rounds for MRF, who also become and ERC commercial partner:

https://www.fiaerc.com/erc/news/erc/2022/mrf-fields-three-car-squad-in-2022-erc/

Good news.. not quite as high profile drivers as last year though.

Yes, isn't it strange that they chose drivers from the second league? Even top drivers couldn't achieve much with those tyres last year.

But of course I wish them good luck!

RS
1st March 2022, 22:50
Good to see Gryazin there, has to be the favourite..

Cais and Solans positives too, but how many of these plan fullish ERC?

Is one team running the MRF Fabias or are they all separate entries only under the MRF banner?

Danny0405
2nd March 2022, 09:54
Just to understand because I’m a bit lost, who is currently committed for full season? I understand Herczig and Llarena yes with Skoda MRF; not a bad move for MRF (Llarena was consistent last year even if not brilliant and they use a better car). Tempestini will also do at least 6 rallies apparently.

Marczyk seems to go to WRC-2 if I understand well.
For Solans, Gryazin, Linnamae and Cais who are the other interesting chaps, are they in Fafe to prepare Portugal WRC or for the ERC season?

All the more confusion than the next 2 rallyes (Azores and Canarias) are more expensive from a logistical point of view so entry list should be lower, except if ERC has some special logistic organization between Fafe and Azores.

wyler
2nd March 2022, 11:40
Just to understand because I’m a bit lost, who is currently committed for full season? I understand Herczig and Llarena yes with Skoda MRF; not a bad move for MRF (Llarena was consistent last year even if not brilliant and they use a better car). Tempestini will also do at least 6 rallies apparently.

Marczyk seems to go to WRC-2 if I understand well.
For Solans, Gryazin, Linnamae and Cais who are the other interesting chaps, are they in Fafe to prepare Portugal WRC or for the ERC season?

All the more confusion than the next 2 rallyes (Azores and Canarias) are more expensive from a logistical point of view so entry list should be lower, except if ERC has some special logistic organization between Fafe and Azores.

skoda MRF full program for Campedelli too.

Jarek Z
3rd March 2022, 07:46

You can also add Javier Pardo:
https://autohebdosport.com/competicion/rallyes/erc/javier-pardo-a-bordo-de-un-skoda-fabia-rally2-en-el-erc-2022

and Lukasz Kotarba:
https://www.fiaerc.com/erc/news/news-archive/2022/kotarba-reveals-new-look-for-first-erc-bid/

Andre Oliveira
3rd March 2022, 08:02
Hankook is not registered (yet?).

Sulland
3rd March 2022, 09:12

The more options the better, also for drivers to get sponsorship to be able to participate.

Did no crews sign up for the CLIO TROPHY by TokSport WRT?
I do not see a single Rally5 car on the entrylist.

Strange, since that trophy looks like a good deal for young talent.

Jarek Z
3rd March 2022, 10:03
New website for ERC, and it is a twinsite of WRC. In one way it is good, since it is easy and different things is on similar place in the menu.
But when WRC.com is ilogical, then the twin adopts the same shit.

Someone should go in and make some logical changes.

I hate this website too. My eyes hurt when I look at it!

dupanton
3rd March 2022, 10:30
The more options the better, also for drivers to get sponsorship to be able to participate.

Did no crews sign up for the CLIO TROPHY by TokSport WRT?
I do not see a single Rally5 car on the entrylist.

Strange, since that trophy looks like a good deal for young talent.

Clio trophy is only on selected rounds. First one is Acores

Sulland
3rd March 2022, 12:49
Clio trophy is only on selected rounds. First one is Acores

Sorry, read wrong rally on the list!

PLuto
3rd March 2022, 14:55

Hankook is not registered

Sulland
4th March 2022, 08:32
What is the prosess and cost to register as a ERC partner, as you have to do for drivers to be able to use your tyres in any of the classes. Or is the Open class different, can you use any tyre brand there?

PLuto
4th March 2022, 10:06
What is the prosess and cost to register as a ERC partner, as you have to do for drivers to be able to use your tyres in any of the classes. Or is the Open class different, can you use any tyre brand there?

Everybody who wants to score points must use "correct" tyres. In all categories. And to be registered tyre manufacturer, you need only one thing - pay the fee...

Sulland
4th March 2022, 11:44
Everybody who wants to score points must use "correct" tyres. In all categories. And to be registered tyre manufacturer, you need only one thing - pay the fee...

:p And the fee for ERC is?
Is the same possible for any of the classes in WRC, or did Pirelli get everything in their deal?

PLuto
5th March 2022, 11:15
:p And the fee for ERC is?
Is the same possible for any of the classes in WRC, or did Pirelli get everything in their deal?

In WRC, there is unique tyre supplier for all competitors (or better all 4WD competitors). In ERC, tyre brand is free. Until the end of previous year, it was completely free (only tyre must be valid according to FIA homologation). Since this year with new promoter, it is mandatory to use registered tyre brands. And the fee is quite high. For me higher than it should be - but I dont know if I can publish that fee here. But in fact, I will prefer to keep it without any registration, but like usually, it is about money and somebody must pay for all live. There is a question if it is worth for the companies to pay such a huge money, for most of them it is nonsense as it will not return from the competitors. And, of course, tyre manufacturers has limited budget. So if they will spend more money for registration, they will give less as a support to the competitors...

WRCStan
7th March 2022, 13:34
REGISTERED TYRE SUPPLIERS FOR THE 2022 FIA EUROPEAN RALLY CHAMPIONSHIP

https://www.fia.com/sites/default/files/2022_erc_registered_tyre_suppliers.pdf

Michelin
Pirelli
MRF

Fast Eddie WRC
8th March 2022, 15:27
Re ERC+
On checking I dont see any coverage scheduled on BT Sport in the UK, even though they show the WRC All Live stream.

AndyRAC
9th March 2022, 09:09
Re ERC+
On checking I don't see any coverage scheduled on BT Sport in the UK, even though they show the WRC All Live stream.

One hopes this changes, but I won't be surprised if they don't show it.

Fast Eddie WRC
9th March 2022, 11:18
'Poor' Solans... I hope he wins.

https://dirtfish.com/learn/how-to/the-driver-whose-season-depends-on-winning-erc-fafe/

YerayEcoBoost
10th March 2022, 13:43
Swedish team Victor Hansen/Víctor Johansson in six rounds of the ERC 4 Junior with Ford Fiesta Rally4. First roun: Rally Islas Canarias

Sulland
15th March 2022, 06:56
Still missing champ standings in ERC Open on the website.
Did they forget?

Also would like to have a video report per day from the support classes, as they make in WRC. They also need something for their sponsors.

RS
15th March 2022, 08:10
Also would like to have a video report per day from the support classes, as they make in WRC. They also need something for their sponsors.

Yes, nothing at all so far and not shown on All-Live either.

PLuto
15th March 2022, 10:01
Still missing champ standings in ERC Open on the website.
Did they forget?

ERC open is currently big failure in almost all sides. In fact they are out of ERC, first day starting among non-priority competitos. Not eligible to score points in ERC general...

Fast Eddie WRC
15th March 2022, 10:53
Two-minute daily highlights on YT for the whole rally seems all we're getting without having a subscription.

They really need to make a proper highlights package for broadcasters to show post-rally.

Even RTP Portugal tv dont have anything for Rally Fafe on their listings !

Sulland
15th March 2022, 10:58
ERC open is currently big failure in almost all sides. In fact they are out of ERC, first day starting among non-priority competitos. Not eligible to score points in ERC general...

What???
Was not the decision of launching the ERC Open class anchored in all places it needed to be before they went public?
Who did not agree?
Any chance of fixing it?

Sulland
15th March 2022, 11:01
Two-minute daily highlights on YT for the whole rally seems all we're getting without having a subscription.

They really need to make a proper highlights package for broadcasters to show post-rally.

Even RTP Portugal tv dont have anything for Rally Fafe on their listings !

No more with subscription I am afraid!
Hopefully more next time!

Fast Eddie WRC
15th March 2022, 11:32
Fan videos are probably as good anyway...

https://automovilismocanario.com/videos-del-rally-serras-de-fafe-2022/

Jarek Z
15th March 2022, 13:10
ERC open is currently big failure in almost all sides.

But Martins Sesks still likes it. Congratulations on a great result, by the way!
https://www.fiaerc.com/erc/news/erc/2022/march/sesks-erc-open-a-logical-step/

Jarek Z
15th March 2022, 13:13
Vic Elford, former European Champion, passed away aged 86 :( What an interesting person he must have been!
https://www.fiaerc.com/erc/news/erc/2022/march/ingram-pays-tribute-to-fellow-former-erc-champion-elford/

Sal yet again
15th March 2022, 14:07
Quick VIC was one of those drivers who won so much yet never really entered in the public domain as much as some other names of the era. Great rally driver but just as adept at the roundy roundy stuff. RIP

PLuto
15th March 2022, 14:43
But Martins Sesks still likes it. Congratulations on a great result, by the way!
https://www.fiaerc.com/erc/news/erc/2022/march/sesks-erc-open-a-logical-step/

Martins likes the car. And idea of R4 car. With what happened before/during Fafe with this category, he was confused also...

Sulland
15th March 2022, 14:43
This is on the bottom of the registration sheet for ERC Open:

REGISTRATION COSTS €2000 PER TEAM. YOU WILL BE INVOICED AND SENT MORE DETAILS ABOUT THE COMPETITION UPON REGISTRATION. PLEASE PROVIDE THE NAME OF THE PERSON TO WHOM THIS INVOICE SHOULD BE SENT.

Explanation on class in website:

Exclusively for Rally2 Kit, homologated Group N4 and RGT cars.
Rally2 Kit offers lower-cost, four-wheel-drive action and encourages technical ingenuity by independent operators. Examples of Rally2 Kit cars – which come with a ‘kit’ of performance parts from official supplier ORECA – used in the ERC in 2021 included the Škoda Fabia, Suzuki Swift and Toyota Yaris.
In addition to Rally2 Kit cars, ERC Open caters for some of rallying’s most iconic names through Group N4 and RGT. Group N4 is the domain of the Mitsubishi Lancer and Subaru Impreza, while the Abarth 124 rally, Alpine A110 RGT and Porsche 997 GT3 are built to RGT regulations.

Strange if the class suddenly have been axed, and title stripped from ERC.

WRCStan
15th March 2022, 15:38
Martins likes the car. And idea of R4 car. With what happened before/during Fafe with this category, he was confused also...

Are you saying nobody even knew ERC Open wasn't part of ERC?

Good lord.

Edit: Maybe I am confused here, I have yet to catch up with Fafe. Did Sesks retrospectively enter ERC Open? Ewrc has him top of the championship (https://www.ewrc-results.com/season/2022/2002-erc-open/) but the official docs don't support that.

Sulland
15th March 2022, 16:46
This link has suddenly died.......

But this is still on website
ERC titles up for grabs

FIA European Championship for Drivers, Co-Drivers and Teams
FIA ERC3 for Drivers and Co-Drivers
FIA ERC4 for Drivers and Co-Drivers
FIA ERC4 Junior
ERC Open for Drivers and Co-Drivers

You can not first late in the game invite to ERC Open, and then during a rally cancel a complete category with titles, even if it is ERC and not a FIA title.

Some sort of predictability must be expected from the ERC organizers from teams and privateers if you want people to participate in your series.

Something must have happened, probably from FIA.
Investigative journalism please!

WRCStan
15th March 2022, 16:56
This link has suddenly died.......

Just moved to the archive: https://www.fiaerc.com/erc/news/news-archive/2022/new-erc-open-category-for-2022-confirmed/

You can not first late in the game invite to ERC Open, and then during a rally cancel a complete category with titles.

Is this true or just inferred from @PLuto saying it is a failure?

RS
15th March 2022, 19:15
No more with subscription I am afraid!
Hopefully more next time!

There is a 25minute highlights show on the ERC app. Still no coverage of the support categories though.

RS
15th March 2022, 19:16
The way i understood ERC open is that there is a title available, just not an FIA one.

WRCStan
15th March 2022, 19:31
This is on the bottom of the registration sheet for ERC Open:

REGISTRATION COSTS €2000 PER TEAM.

The way i understood ERC open is that there is a title available, just not an FIA one.

Well at least now I can understand why Cartier, in his own built unique car, has joined Sesks' and Potiiko's team.

Fast Eddie WRC
15th March 2022, 21:23
Crowdfunding set up for Nil Solans...

https://www.gofundme.com/f/todos-con-nil-solans?qid=6afd5ecffefff01a14a8394a9570dd4e

Jarek Z
21st March 2022, 20:10
Crowdfunding set up for Nil Solans...

https://www.gofundme.com/f/todos-con-nil-solans?qid=6afd5ecffefff01a14a8394a9570dd4e

Strange. They didn't even bother to translate it into English?

Jarek Z
21st March 2022, 20:14
Good news from Austria. Simon Wagner is planning several ERC rounds with Skoda Fabia Rally2. Good luck to him, he is a good driver.

At the moment his programme includes:
Azores Rallye
Rally Islas Canarias
Barum Czech Rally Zlín
plus up to 3 more events

Details:
https://www.fiaerc.com/erc/news/erc/2022/march/wagner-makes-erc-comeback-a-winner/

Sal yet again
22nd March 2022, 06:25
https://portuguese-american-journal.com/sao-jorge-seismic-crisis-recorded-more-than-1100-earthquakes-azores/

Slightly alarming news from the Azores.

wwbroe
22nd March 2022, 06:44
https://portuguese-american-journal.com/sao-jorge-seismic-crisis-recorded-more-than-1100-earthquakes-azores/

Slightly alarming news from the Azores.

Therally is not run ning on this island. However it could have some impact.

Sulland
22nd March 2022, 10:01
Any news on how ERC will handle their "Open class" when it comes to scoring points, number of rallies that count and so on?

WRCStan
22nd March 2022, 11:21
Any news on how ERC will handle their "Open class" when it comes to scoring points, number of rallies that count and so on?

All questions and disputes will be answered in the bar at the end of the season. I'd like to forget about this class but when I see these guys excluded from ERC proper it just brings all the unanswered questions back to the surface.

Azores just announced trophies will be awarded to 1st, 2nd and 3rd place. That'd be great if the entry list had more than 2 competitors - hopefully that'll be updated so things make sense (cough Sesks)!

In fairness this was in the announcement: "ERC Open will use the same points allocation as the other ERC categories with competitors counting their best six results from eight rounds."

YerayEcoBoost
6th April 2022, 15:35
New for ERC Junior:

Alex Español (208 Rally4 - The Racing Factory)
René Noller (Opel Corsa Rally4)
Mattia Vita (Ford Fiesta Rally4)
Martín Laszló (Renault Clio Rally4)
Ole Jr Nore (Ford Fiesta Rally4)

Jarek Z
7th April 2022, 17:03
Also Italian driver Michael Rendina is going to compete in European Rally Championship 2022. He is going to drive Renault Clio Rally5 and his first rally should be Islas Canarias.

source:
https://www.rallylink.it/cms20/index.php/news/michael-rendina-a-sanremo-si-prepara-all-esordio-nel-fia-european-rally-championship-2022

Jarek Z
18th April 2022, 18:30
Swedish driver Tom Kristensson, who was Junior WRC champion in 2020, is going to compete in 3 ERC rounds this year:
Rally Poland (11 - 12 June),
Rally Liepaja (2 - 3 July)
Barum Czech Rally Zlín (27 - 28 August).
https://www.fiaerc.com/erc/news/erc/2022/march/kristensson-plans-erc-comeback/

tc10a
4th May 2022, 09:35
It's already May and round 3 around the corner and there is still no information about the season final event???

Tom K
4th May 2022, 10:04
I do not remember what is the location of this Romanian rally which according to rumors has a chance, but maybe the delay has something to do with war in Ukraine and situation in Moldova.

On the other hand during Azores people were talking about Cyprus and Corsica.

Eli
6th May 2022, 09:21
I do not remember what is the location of this Romanian rally which according to rumors has a chance, but maybe the delay has something to do with war in Ukraine and situation in Moldova.

On the other hand during Azores people were talking about Cyprus and Corsica.

Maybe they can narrow it down to one of those two during this weekend in the Canary.

wyler
7th May 2022, 15:08
Sanremo Rally back into erc calender for 2023, italian media says...

YerayEcoBoost
8th May 2022, 21:56
It's already May and round 3 around the corner and there is still no information about the season final event???The other day in an interview with the president of the organizing committee of the Rally Islas Canarias he said that the Cyprus Rally will be the end of the Fia ERC and that the agreement had already been signed

Enviado desde mi S88Plus mediante Tapatalk

Eli
9th May 2022, 06:35
The other day in an interview with the president of the organizing committee of the Rally Islas Canarias he said that the Cyprus Rally will be the end of the Fia ERC and that the agreement had already been signed

Enviado desde mi S88Plus mediante Tapatalk
Is it a multiple year agreement or is it just for the 2022 season?

WRCStan
9th May 2022, 10:42
Sanremo Rally back into erc calender for 2023, italian media says...

Alongside Roma; two Portuguese rounds?

lmmjvss
13th May 2022, 01:23
Did u guys enjoyed the first 2 rounds so far? Im not watching. I was always following the ERC but with no drivers that I follow, I lost basically all my interest =/
I think I'd cheer for Bruno Magalhaes but thats it

RS
13th May 2022, 09:21
Did u guys enjoyed the first 2 rounds so far? Im not watching. I was always following the ERC but with no drivers that I follow, I lost basically all my interest =/
I think I'd cheer for Bruno Magalhaes but thats it

I’m still watching.. enjoyed the power stage on Azores. All Live is good for those willing to pay, but they need to do better with non-paywall coverage.

Entry lists have been poor compared to recent years under Eurosport. Hopefully they have a plan to improve things.

Jarek Z
13th May 2022, 10:02
I’m still watching.. enjoyed the power stage on Azores. All Live is good for those willing to pay, but they need to do better with non-paywall coverage.

Is there any non-paywall coverage anywhere?

WRCStan
13th May 2022, 11:03

Youtube (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmvH9672W7cW6AsmGqjdwig)

'Video' tab on each round of eWRC (https://www.ewrc-results.com/video/40247-rally-islas-canarias-2022-ss1/)

Fast Eddie WRC
13th May 2022, 11:22

In the UK a highlights programme just shown up on the BT Sport schedule.

This is for Rally Canarias and will be on Monday night, 16th May.

WRCStan
13th May 2022, 11:28
In the UK a highlights programme just shown up on the BT Sport schedule.

This is for Rally Canarias and will be on Monday night, 16th May.

Still behind a paywall.

Fast Eddie WRC
13th May 2022, 12:33
Still behind a paywall.

Al least ERC is now on a major sports channel and one many people already have for a lot of their other sports.

Jarek Z
14th May 2022, 11:11
Youtube (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmvH9672W7cW6AsmGqjdwig)

Thanks, but there are just 2 videos on this channel, 2 days after the rally started... What kind of coverage is it?

WRCStan
14th May 2022, 11:46
Thanks, but there are just 2 videos on this channel, 2 days after the rally started... What kind of coverage is it?

Ok let me flip and ask you what you expect for free?

RS
14th May 2022, 15:41
Al least ERC is now on a major sports channel and one many people already have for a lot of their other sports.

Ok let me flip and ask you what you expect for free?

Previously Eurosport provided a lot of stuff for free on the ERC Youtube Channel including full stage onboards.

WRCStan
14th May 2022, 16:40
Previously Eurosport provided a lot of stuff for free on the ERC Youtube Channel including full stage onboards.

That's precisely what I linked lol. OK Eurosport guys did some live YT/FB stage ends last few years, but they weren't there for that, it was a bonus whilst they were making linear pay TV delayed highlights. Would Eurosport HQ have charged if going down the live route ERC Promoter did? You betcha.

RS
14th May 2022, 17:44
That's precisely what I linked lol. OK Eurosport guys did some live YT/FB stage ends last few years, but they weren't there for that, it was a bonus whilst they were making linear pay TV delayed highlights. Would Eurosport HQ have charged if going down the live route ERC Promoter did? You betcha.

Yes, the new promoter inherited the channel from Eurosport. Point is, under Eurosport tenure, they provided much on the Youtube channel for free, which is what you asked.

I wouldn't expect the All-Live coverage for free, no. But i guess a relatively small percentage of fans pay for that, and if you want to promote your championship it needs coverage that is not behind a paywall too.

WRCStan
14th May 2022, 18:15
Yes, the new promoter inherited the channel from Eurosport. Point is, under Eurosport tenure, they provided much on the Youtube channel for free, which is what you asked.

And I made the point that ERC Promoter is also offering onboards and similar daily reports, which is not sufficient for Jarek, who I asked. Pre-empting an answer I made the point that the live stuff between the two eras is not comparable, and to add now, it wasn't sustainable.

and if you want to promote your championship it needs coverage that is not behind a paywall too.

It appears ERC Promoter disagrees.

RS
14th May 2022, 20:17
My apologies, i see there is now one whole stage onboard from this season on the Youtube channel, added five weeks after the event.

The All-Live coverage is undoubtedly a step forward, for those who are willing to pay. It's a shame the new promoter couldn't match what Eurosport offered for free and build on that with the All-Live.

WRCStan
15th May 2022, 00:08
My apologies, i see there is now one whole stage onboard from this season on the Youtube channel, added five weeks after the event.

The All-Live coverage is undoubtedly a step forward, for those who are willing to pay. It's a shame the new promoter couldn't match what Eurosport offered for free and build on that with the All-Live.

OK yes, I will agree you are right. There were more YT videos under Eurosport and that onboard being uploaded weeks after it was on the website is odd. It's probably not helping to sell subscriptions and, like you say, it's a shame for anybody who likes free content, because obviously there could always be more. And I will attest even, it was nice to get free YT content from Eurosport when somebody else was paying for it with their TV subscriptions.

But I never felt entitled to it and times have changed, Eurosport wouldn't be chasing footage for linear TV either now. Had we been forced to Discovery+ for a similar live package this weekend, I think we could be having a similar conversation still.

So, more to the point of my original question, what do y'all expect, or feel entitled to, for free video content? You can still read about what happened and get the results in free text based content! Because the notion free video should be available at all to 'promote the championship' is a fallacy. Explain to me what value anybody brings to the championship who is not willing to pay for the ERC/WRC+ sub? Forgive my low IQ if I don't get this, if y'all aren't converting into subs, who is?! IMO they are better off 'promoting the profile' of ERC to new folk through WRC+, and selling subs through WRC branding rather then chasing the ERC YT output. Nobody is going to ERC/ERC+ without hearing of WRC.

Fast Eddie WRC
16th May 2022, 11:28
The ERC highlights package is now being shown on BT Sport and may be seen by general sport/motorsport fans. Not free-to-air but not much sport is these days.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FSyhfuSXwAE6QoS?format=jpg&name=900x900

Fast Eddie WRC
24th May 2022, 11:15
Solans did only two events now and has no budget for further plans. Lukyanuk is not out because the Ukraine situation, his absence was almost sure before the war (of course this was didnt helped).

Sad news on both. Llarena would seem to have a free run to the ERC title without Solans.

Fast Eddie WRC
31st May 2022, 14:33
Anyone else having trouble with the ERC App ? It wont open all for me, just closes down.

RallyFan13
3rd June 2022, 16:16
Any News about the final round of the season ?

RallyFan13
5th June 2022, 08:20
Martin Sesks will switch to Fabia Rally2 Evo for Liepaja

polomayu
15th June 2022, 09:40
Do they need to drop the score of one rally? Or every rally counts on the global standings?
Thanks in advance

Jarek Z
15th June 2022, 09:56
According to the information at https://www.fiaerc.com/erc/more/about-erc/what-is-erc/ drivers count their best seven scores from a possible eight.

PLuto
15th June 2022, 10:19
Do they need to drop the score of one rally? Or every rally counts on the global standings?
Thanks in advance

Yes, it is X-1. So seven out of eight. Or six out of seven, if the last round will not happen...

Fast Eddie WRC
15th June 2022, 12:21
Solans taking the positives and says the Ch'ship is not over...

https://www.fiaerc.com/erc/news/erc/2022/solans-upbeat-despite-poland-disappointment/

Tom K
15th June 2022, 12:47
As expected Tom Kristensson will also drive in Liepaja. Solans is confirmed. Would be interested to check Paddon's form.

pucky54
15th June 2022, 13:54
As expected Tom Kristensson will also drive in Liepaja...

Was already announced before his season started. Barum as well!

Jarek Z
20th June 2022, 11:07
Martin Sesks will switch to Fabia Rally2 Evo for Liepaja

Sesks seems to be very excited by this opportunity: “The special thing is that the rally itself is so fast. Usually, some drivers are quite scared from the high speeds, but for me, it’s exactly the opposite. I sometimes don’t feel as comfortable in technical rallies like the Azores, for example - where there are some hills or something like that. For me, driving at 160kph around trees and in the forest is fine because I am used to it.” :)

source:
https://www.fiaerc.com/erc/news/erc/2022/sesks-gets-rally2-upgrade-for-home-round/

Jarek Z
22nd June 2022, 15:11
18-year old Finnish driver Toni Herranen (Ford Fiesta Rally4) entered Rally Liepāja and hopes to contest as many remaining rounds of the ERC as possible:
https://www.fiaerc.com/erc/news/erc/2022/herranen-boosted-by-junior-erc-pace/

tc10a
29th June 2022, 16:30
So round 5 is around the corner and still no news about the season finale - round 8?

Eli
29th June 2022, 20:11
So round 5 is around the corner and still no news about the season finale - round 8?

Nothing & today the FIA had a WMSC meeting yet there's still no word about it.

PLuto
5th July 2022, 18:45
Tomorrow should be published the name of last ERC round this year.

Eli
6th July 2022, 14:10
Tomorrow should be published the name of last ERC round this year.

Cyprus? Hungary?

Andre Oliveira
7th July 2022, 15:23
Romania i heard.

Safak
13th July 2022, 13:58
Under the current light Cyprus and Hungary are both out.

As Andre Oliveira wrote, soon Romania shall be announced.

Danny0405
13th July 2022, 15:18
When talking about Romania, I suppose you’re talking about Braşov rally? (only other one available would be Cluj but sounds a bit early)

Not a bad choice if confirmed.
Impossible for FIA and promoter to take back Hungary that early (it would have been a shame showing there are unable to attract other countries).
And Cyprus, well, in the current economic context, a far away Rally in an island is not a great idea in my opinion when we take a look at the main competitors.

Fast Eddie WRC
16th July 2022, 13:57
This is a bit strange... I just had my crowd-funding donation to help Nil Solans refunded.

I wonder has he had to give up on the season and so decided to give any money back to his fans ?

Eli
23rd July 2022, 13:08
With still no word about this year's season finale, Hungary are trying to comeback for the 2023 calendar:

https://dirtfish.com/rally/erc/hungary-will-make-erc-comeback-if-it-solves-key-problems/

Danny0405
23rd July 2022, 19:42
Do we have some news for the last round?
It was evoked Romania here as front-runner but no news still then.
Because, it is really late now, IMO Promoter must make an announcement by next week either there is one (and where) or not. Makes no sense to have Barum registration if you don’t now if last round will occur for some drivers.

Incredibly badly managed situation: Monza 2020 in WRC was a force majeure situation so not comparable; Monza 2021 was finally quite quickly solved after Japan late withdrawal and there was still two rounds before it when it was announced (and the info was told to teams before the official announcement so it was almost official already).

Here, we know for the beginning of the season that a round is needed (or to decide to cancel last round) and it sounds like there is still no information or at least decision.

For me, this season is a terrible start by new Promoter; he is not necessarily responsible for the lack of battle in the championship and the level of championship competition (except Llarena who does the job as Kajto in the past) but he didn’t find a way to solve it neither. And the management on the last round is awful.
Let’s hope they will handle better in the future because, else, it will become an ERT-style championship.

PLuto
26th July 2022, 12:36
No news yet. Biggest favourite Romania (in Cluj) seems failed on very last moment...

Tom K
27th July 2022, 09:25
I wouldn't be surprised there is not big interests in having ERC round when all will be decided next month.

on the other hand... https://www.rallye-magazin.de/int/artikel/3-staedte-rallye-als-finale-der-europameisterschaft-48788/

Danny0405
27th July 2022, 13:11
I wouldn't be surprised there is not big interests in having ERC round when all will be decided next month.

on the other hand... https://www.rallye-magazin.de/int/artikel/3-staedte-rallye-als-finale-der-europameisterschaft-48788/

Well, clearly agree that with no big driver, a lot probably set by Barum (ERC title and maybe Junior4) + more constraints to organize with ERC in + probably a one-shot agreement as ERC seems to discuss again with Hungary for 2023, I don’t really see how you could have a lot of candidate for this round ... if any. And all the more complicated considering the period (and extremely awkward in my opinion to go in Barum with no guarantee on the last round).
I don’t think any organizer will review his organization or funding in such a short time to host an ERC event looking at the level of international competitors in ERC this year so it’s clearly more about ERC looking for a reasonable candidate (level + cost) to save face more than the contrary.
So I would see either no 8th event or a cheap agreement to add ERC drivers to an already structured rally with not too much local drivers such as Valais for example (don’t think Monza as last-resort could work this year with only ERC which is much less interesting).
Germany to prepare bid for WRC? Well, why not but a long shot IMO between organizing an emergency-solution ERC event and having a WRC event (even if same promoter).

Fast Eddie WRC
28th July 2022, 10:52
It's such a pity that Nil Solans season has been destroyed by funding and car/team issues. He was the only real competitor for Llarena and a battle between them could've hugely improved the Championship. And it would probably brought in a rally for the 8th round more easily (a Spanish rally would've been ideal).

RS
29th July 2022, 18:49
Llarena will be a worthy champion, he hasn’t just cruised around to pick up the points. However it’s clear that this year’s ERC has not been on the level of recent years. I’ve enjoyed watching the All-Live footage when i have been able but the promoter will need to do more to attract stronger entry lists next year.

Danny0405
29th July 2022, 21:10
Llarena will be a worthy champion, he hasn’t just cruised around to pick up the points. However it’s clear that this year’s ERC has not been on the level of recent years. I’ve enjoyed watching the All-Live footage when i have been able but the promoter will need to do more to attract stronger entry lists next year.

Yeah, honestly, the issue is not about Llarena being titled but more about the competition against him.
He has the background (2nd last year with some good competition and a couple of podiums).
+In the specific structure of the ERC (with a lot of good local contenders), winning the title with one win, two second positions, two 4th position and one top 10 in 5 races (and let’s see in Barum) is reasonable; Mikkelsen didn’t do better last year (even if competition was a big higher but Mikkelsen is also an abnormal driver for ERC) and Ingram or Kajto (at least his last title and maybe the 2nd one) won title like this.

But vice-champion will be a guy with 0 or 1 podium, 2 or 3 top-5, well a bit short.
And I don’t see the interest for Llarena to stay in ERC next year; only point is about the funding of a WRC-2 program that could delay it.

Fast Eddie WRC
30th July 2022, 11:05
I heard Welshman Osian Pryce saying the other day that if he can win the BRC this year (after being 2nd four times !) he is looking to move on. He seems to be quite well-funded, so I think there is a fair chance he might enter the ERC next year which would be a nice boost to the Championship.

Fast Eddie WRC
30th July 2022, 11:11
Llarena will be a worthy champion, he hasn’t just cruised around to pick up the points.

Obviously its no fault of his, but when the main competitor (Solans) has had to drop out, Llarena cant really get huge kudos for taking the title this year. Those entering the full championship was thin on the ground to start with and then to lose arguably the best of those makes the win a bit hollow.

AndyRAC
1st August 2022, 08:39

The ERC needs a rethink regarding the calendar, and host countries......And they need to sort the promotion. It's not good enough....