PDA

View Full Version : Pastrana Headed To The Wrc!!

klm-607
14th December 2006, 03:53
PASTRANA HEADED TO THE WRC
Subaru Rally Team USA announces future plans for their star driver Travis Pastrana
Dec 13, 2006

Subaru Rally Team USA (SRT-USA) announced today that it will enter its 23 year-old star rally driver, Travis Pastrana, in select World Rally Championship events in 2007, 2008 and 2009. Pastrana, in only his second season of rallying won the 2006 Rally America National Championship, becoming the youngest ever American champion. In addition to defending his Rally America title in 2007, Pastrana will drive a Subaru Impreza WRX STI–based rally car in three World Rally Championship (WRC) events in the Group N class. Then in 2008 and 2009 SRT-USA will officially enter Pastrana in the Production World Rally Championship (P-WRC), a support series that runs concurrent with the top tier World Rally Championship.

"Our recently announced 3-year extension with Travis Pastrana as a driver for Subaru Rally Team USA shows our commitment to Travis, the Rally America National Championship, and the sport of Rally", said James Han of Subaru of America, Inc. "The prospect of developing a driving talent such as Travis with the goal of having an American compete successfully at the WRC level is an exciting one. Although the team's primary objective in 2007 will be to retain the Rally America title in our Subaru Impreza WRX STI rally cars, evaluating development opportunities for Travis is also a key priority."

Travis Pastrana and his co-driver Christian Edstrom have dominated rallying in the USA this year driving their BFGoodrich Tire's-shod 2006 Subaru Impreza WRX STI. Pastrana earned four victories, four 2nd place finishes and a Gold medal at the inaugural X Games Rally event where he narrowly beat out his hero and WRC legend Colin McRae. Pastrana's speed and consistency helped him mathematically secure the 2006 Rally America National Championship on the penultimate round of the series. Pastrana at only 23 years-old becomes the youngest ever American rally champion, in only his second year of rallying.

Pastrana began rallying after first becoming a legend on two wheels. He has won a string Amateur National Motocross titles, won the World Freestyle Champion at 14 and is a former 125cc National Motocross and Supercross Champion. Additional achievements include earning Gold in Freestyle MotoX a record six times at the X Games and recently landing the first-ever double back flip in competition. Pastrana will compete against the World's top motorsports stars this weekend, representing the USA at the Race Of Champions in Paris.

The P-WRC is the next logical step in Pastrana's rally career. Pastrana will run on the same roads in the same events as World Rallying's top stars such as Petter Solberg and Sebastien Loeb. The P-WRC will serve as a stepping stone to the top tier WRC where Pastrana aims to become the first-ever American World Rally Champion.

Pastrana's WRC efforts will be managed by Subaru Rally Team USA through Vermont SportsCar, the same outfit that manages his Rally America Championship campaign. Vermont SportsCar has successfully run SRT-USAin 2006 with Pastrana and teammate Ken Block, finishing 1st and 2nd Overall, respectively, in the Rally America National Championship. The team will prepare the Group N Subaru Impreza rally cars for Pastrana's WRC efforts and is looking forward to becoming the first ever American based team with an American driver competing in the WRC.

The Colchester, Vermont based team hired former WRC Team Manager Derek Dauncey in late 2005 to help spearhead its WRC efforts. Dauncey was an instrumental part of the team that achieved four WRC Driver's Championships in a row with rally legend Tommi Makinen. "I have been lucky to work alongside a number of talented young drivers and I'm certain Travis has the potential to match and even surpass them," explains Dauncey. "His amazing success on two wheels speaks for itself and he is very dedicated to advancing his rally career. Its been a pleasure working with Subaru Rally Team USA thus far and I'm really looking forward to being a part of the team's next steps."

Subaru Rally Team USA is proudly supported by DC Shoes, BFGoodrich Tires, STI (Subaru Tecnica International), SPT (Subaru Performance Tuning), Alpinestars, Motul, PIAA, Recaro, Meguiars and Vermont SportsCar.

FrankenSchwinn
14th December 2006, 04:26
yeah, i saw that earlier today.
it's good for him and especially good for VT sports cars. they do excellent work and are really professional. hopefully with some more international exeperience and some good result with TP they can be a regular team on the pwrc circuit. but what about pastrana's main man K.Block, what's his future?
oh and congrats christian (please assure us that you are staying on as co-driver!)

GigiGalliNo1
14th December 2006, 04:32
sounds good!

L5->R5/CR
14th December 2006, 04:36
yeah, i saw that earlier today.
it's good for him and especially good for VT sports cars. they do excellent work and are really professional. hopefully with some more international exeperience and some good result with TP they can be a regular team on the pwrc circuit. but what about pastrana's main man K.Block, what's his future?
oh and congrats christian (please assure us that you are staying on as co-driver!)

This was a SRT-USA bulletin.

Only thing I would infer from this is that Mr. Block is not going to be bankrolled by Subaru of America if he wants to participate in these events. I wouldn't be surprised however if they will offer a portion of the budget needed if he can secure or produce the rest personally. I don't think Mr. Block fits into the greater strategy of Pastrana in the WRC so KB is mainly backed for the Rally-America championship instead...

pflugi
14th December 2006, 06:45
Great news! I can't wait to see what the impact will be on rallying in the US. Hopefully, we'll get some much needed attention for the sport and the WRC will get some attention outside of Colin McRae's video games.

Here's to a new era in rallying!

tribefiend
14th December 2006, 07:16
This is very exciting news for us americans! We definitely need someone to make an impact at rallyings top level.

Maui J.
14th December 2006, 09:06
This is great news. I think rallying has been waiting a long time for something to come out of the States, Hopefully Travis is the man to do it.
He has more than proved himself on 2 wheels, now hopefully he can match it on 4.

A.F.F.
14th December 2006, 10:14
Shall Edstrom continue as his co-driver?

Very welcomed news :up:

306 Cosworth
14th December 2006, 10:27
Wish he was in a WRCar!

Bjorn240
14th December 2006, 16:38
Shall Edstrom continue as his co-driver?

Yes, I've been asked to continue. Thanks from both Travis and I for all the kind words and congratulations from everybody. We look forward to continuing to promote rallying in the USA.

- Christian

DonJippo
14th December 2006, 17:20
Yes, I've been asked to continue. Thanks from both Travis and I for all the kind words and congratulations from everybody. We look forward to continuing to promote rallying in the USA.

- Christian

Do you know already in which 3 WRC events you will drive next year?

jonas_mcrae
14th December 2006, 18:08
mexico for sure

SirXcalibur
14th December 2006, 19:05
Do you know already in which 3 WRC events you will drive next year?

He mentioned GB, Argentina, and Mexico at specialstage.

Tomi
14th December 2006, 19:11
argentina and mexico makes sence both are PWRC rounds.

Bjorn240
14th December 2006, 19:17
The initial plan is for Mexico, Argentina, and GB, plus a couple of recce-only rounds. As always, plans can change, but that's the best information I have as of today.

GunsofNavarone
14th December 2006, 20:12
The initial plan is for Mexico, Argentina, and GB, plus a couple of recce-only rounds. As always, plans can change, but that's the best information I have as of today.

Those are three really good events for Travis, especially Mexico. You guys are going to get a lot of exposure in the next few years, rightfully so. I just hope when you become a super-famous co-driver that you still post on the forums. You know, as to not forget 'all the little people'...

A.F.F.
14th December 2006, 20:30

- Christian

Well heck :)

Has this connection (Bjorn240 = Christian Edstrom) been mentioned here earlier ?? Because if it has, I better start reading these threads more carefully ;) :p :

Anyways, good luck for your rallies :up:

GunsofNavarone
14th December 2006, 20:32
He likes to keep it on the 'down-low', but it's too fun to mention it to let him have a free pass.

Speedworx
14th December 2006, 20:39
Will be good to see how he gets on.

L5->R5/CR
14th December 2006, 20:46
Well heck :)

Has this connection (Bjorn240 = Christian Edstrom) been mentioned here earlier ?? Because if it has, I better start reading these threads more carefully ;) :p :

Anyways, good luck for your rallies :up:

In the North American Forum is has been..

Magnus
14th December 2006, 21:06
It would be very good for the sport if Pastrana made it to the top, not least considering the US-market and the whole sponsorcircus and TV-coverage. And, of course, if Pastrana is as good as he seems, he might be something for Loeb to put his teeth in, or is the other way around maybe?
US has certainle been a black hole when it comes to rallying - I sure hope Pastrana will lead the way for many to come!

Tomi
14th December 2006, 21:30
And, of course, if Pastrana is as good as he seems, he might be something for Loeb to put his teeth in, or is the other way around maybe?

Wake up

L5->R5/CR
14th December 2006, 22:30
Wake up

He is 23, fast, fearless, and intelligent. Plus he has a great concept of what speed is and a great support staff behind him.

Lord only knows how far he can go if he is determined right now.

I used to think he was nothing but hype but it is getting harder and harder to not think he atleast has the potential.

Tomi
14th December 2006, 22:34
He is 23, fast, fearless, and intelligent. Plus he has a great concept of what speed is and a great support staff behind him.

I used to think he was nothing but hype but it is getting harder and harder to not think he atleast has the potential.

just like anyone else there, better to see whats happen, sofar he have only done village events, no real events yet.

ayslinn
14th December 2006, 22:41
just like anyone else there, better to see whats happen, sofar he have only done village events, no real events yet.

Well, if he is not successful in WRC, it will not be for lack of balls! I wish them all the best, and am thrilled to have an American in the WRC. Hopefully he will bring the news of rally here and people will see what they've been missing.

Tomi
14th December 2006, 22:43
Well, if he is not successful in WRC, it will not be for lack of balls! I wish them all the best, and am thrilled to have an American in the WRC. Hopefully he will bring the news of rally here and people will see what they've been missing.

yes, lets hope so, :) I still remember the last one John Buffum

GunsofNavarone
14th December 2006, 23:08
Well, if he is not successful in WRC, it will not be for lack of balls!

I think anyone who can do two backflips on a motorcycle has enough for the rest of us...

FrankenSchwinn
14th December 2006, 23:12
I think anyone who can do two backflips on a motorcycle has enough for the rest of us...

yeah, my friend (pro skater) has been to his house once or twice and said that with the equipment he's got there there is no reason not to try it...... you still need to have mucho cojones to actually pull it off!

GunsofNavarone
14th December 2006, 23:15
yeah, my friend (pro skater) has been to his house once or twice and said that with the equipment he's got there there is no reason not to try it...... you still need to have mucho cojones to actually pull it off!

There was a special on ESPN about him, right around the time of the X Games, where it showed him trying the trick into a massive foam pit. They would have to get the bike out with a crane... I don't know how anyone could do something like that...

FrankenSchwinn
14th December 2006, 23:27
balls.

GunsofNavarone
14th December 2006, 23:34
balls.

Those pictures make me laugh every time.

Micke_VOC
14th December 2006, 23:42

Go to Sweden too =)

I Think Pastrana going to be very good driver in PWRC.

ayslinn
15th December 2006, 00:24

:laugh:

No kidding! But even in a rally car . . . in the 2005 season, he had this horrific crash . . . you could see his arm flop out the broken window and then back in again just as the car completed another rollover, narrowly missing serious injury. After all that, he hardly looked shaken. He leapt out and shouted something along the lines of, "Wow! What a rush!"

Yikes.

L5->R5/CR
15th December 2006, 00:34
:laugh:

No kidding! But even in a rally car . . . in the 2005 season, he had this horrific crash . . . you could see his arm flop out the broken window and then back in again just as the car completed another rollover, narrowly missing serious injury. After all that, he hardly looked shaken. He leapt out and shouted something along the lines of, "Wow! What a rush!"

Yikes.

I wouldn't say he looked hardly shaken after the fact.

The video shows him on adrenaline. He was pretty calm but had a look of seriousness about him after it was all over and done with.

L5->R5/CR
15th December 2006, 00:39

Unfortunately not like anyone else here.

There are very few guys who have even begun to show real potential, and the bulk of them are either struggling to find some funding or too old to make a WRC big..

You're right he hasn't done a "real" event, and he has just done basic US events (but I think you underestimate the sharpest end of the US field). We'll see how he does in 2007 and more importantly 2008. We have to remember he has only done one real recce as well so far.

Tomi
15th December 2006, 01:43

There are very few guys who have even begun to show real potential, and the bulk of them are either struggling to find some funding or too old to make a WRC big..

You're right he hasn't done a "real" event, and he has just done basic US events (but I think you underestimate the sharpest end of the US field). We'll see how he does in 2007 and more importantly 2008. We have to remember he has only done one real recce as well so far.

Yes, thats what i mean, between now and then there is a million thing that also can go wrong, so no idea to see him as someone who will beat loeb yet.
One guy from the neighbourhood name Hagström was driving there a few years back, here he is national level driver, ther he won the first out with i think 2 minutes, nothing more i know about rally there.

koko0703
15th December 2006, 01:44
It's good news for both WRC and rallying community in the US. Damn if I knew he's going to WRC, I would've got his autograph couple weeks ago in Wild West Rally.... Anyways hope Pastrana does well enough to catch Prodrive's eye since for Subaru drivers, showing flash in Gr.N may be a quick way to go to WRC like the Oz guy did ;)

Tomi
15th December 2006, 02:08

I guess you missunderstood, by there i mendt offcourse guys who start in WRC not your local series. :)

L5->R5/CR
15th December 2006, 02:45
Yes, thats what i mean, between now and then there is a million thing that also can go wrong, so no idea to see him as someone who will beat loeb yet.
One guy from the neighbourhood name Hagström was driving there a few years back, here he is national level driver, ther he won the first out with i think 2 minutes, nothing more i know about rally there.

Hagström won a few years back in the "good old days of factory teams" here in the US. He was running what amounted to nearly a WRCar versus what amounted to N4 cars. The fields at the front were pretty thin (for what it is worth at just one event previous to Hagstöm doing well he, in a 99% WRCar, was beat by close to 90 seconds by David Higgins in a 99% N4 car).

I think Pastrana has a long way to go, but I also think if Pasi were to come back and run in the same spec car as Travis instead of a much higher specification car that he would struggle to keep up. There are some competent over seas drivers that have been competing over here this year that Travis has done better than, he is progressing. Can't forget that Travis has a HUGE amount of financial backing behind him as well as age on his side.

His potential on the world scene is dependent on how he does next year and in 2008, but you can't forget he has done only something like 23 or so rallies total as well.

Not that it means anything but I'll wager that by the time Pastrana has done as many events as Matthew Wilson has done in a WRCar to this point, Pastrana will be faster and more consistent with less speeding violations.

ST205GT4
15th December 2006, 03:58

I'd wait until we see his performances in international Grp N before we jump to any conclusions. With no disrespect to his and Christian's achievements in the RA series, the fields they are competing against don't have a great deal of depth unfortunately. And from memory, they and KB appeared to be the only pairing with factory support. It's pretty similar situation to the Australian Rally Championship wins by Toyota with the Neil Bates/Coral Taylor and the Group A Celica back in the early 90s.

Still good news. I wish Travis and Christian all the best. Be good to see some new faces do well in the WRC. And some successful americans (or european americans imports) in the WRC has got to be good for the sport.

Bjorn240
15th December 2006, 05:04
No question, boys -- We've got a lot to prove yet and a long, long road to go!

We are thrilled to have earned this chance, but next year will be a big learning year for sure! Definitely don't expect any miracles in 2007, but with any luck, we hope to impress just a little in 2008 and a lot in 2009!

Thanks for all the nice messages and well wishes. It is genuinely appreciated.

ayslinn
15th December 2006, 06:13
We'll be cheering for you!

L5->R5/CR
15th December 2006, 06:45
I'd wait until we see his performances in international Grp N before we jump to any conclusions. With no disrespect to his and Christian's achievements in the RA series, the fields they are competing against don't have a great deal of depth unfortunately. And from memory, they and KB appeared to be the only pairing with factory support. It's pretty similar situation to the Australian Rally Championship wins by Toyota with the Neil Bates/Coral Taylor and the Group A Celica back in the early 90s.

Still good news. I wish Travis and Christian all the best. Be good to see some new faces do well in the WRC. And some successful americans (or european americans imports) in the WRC has got to be good for the sport.

Yep...

The field next year should be better than this years but if you consider just how little experience he has relative to his driving he may have a shot.

In 2008 we will find out if it's hype or hope.

PS hope you're having a great holiday Ben!

A.F.F.
15th December 2006, 07:41
Oh man.... :rolleyes:

What is it with you guys. Now, I don't mean to be disrespectful but there is much more in rallying needed than just cojones. I recall similar thing happening couple years ago when Robby Gordon took part to Paris-Dakar Raid. After the Super Special Stage win, there were more than a few Nascar members hailing for Robby's win. When it didn't happen... Well, Paris-Dakar wasn't so exciting anymore. That much for support :dozey:

Now, I truly wish good luck for you guys in those three scheduled rallies and may many more come along :up: And I very much like the fact that you have your feet on the ground.

Daniel
15th December 2006, 09:51

We are thrilled to have earned this chance, but next year will be a big learning year for sure! Definitely don't expect any miracles in 2007, but with any luck, we hope to impress just a little in 2008 and a lot in 2009!

Having your feet on the ground is great. It's half the battle just to understand how far you have to go :up:

I just pray that your fans can keep their feet on the ground because some fans aren't able to do this :crazy:

Tomi
15th December 2006, 10:05
I just pray that your fans can keep their feet on the ground because some fans aren't able to do this :crazy:

thats not so important, main thing is that know for you self :)

Daniel
15th December 2006, 10:07
thats not so important, main thing is that know for you self :)
I mean more for the forums :) Nothing more irritating than for people to proclaim that their driver is god when even he doesn't think this :)

But as you say the main this is that he knows and understands the challenge :up:

Magnus
15th December 2006, 11:03
This is a matter - a little bit o.t. though - that is a little ridicoulus in this forum now and then. Naturally when I say that Pastrani might pose a challenge to the big guys, it is under the conditions that he has all the luck and the material and the personell that one needs to win at least one wrc-event.
"Wake up" is what Tomi wants me to do, and maybe I have to. What I meant is that i order to succeed at a higher level at this sport you need to have a certain "killer instinct". I remeber when Tommi Mäkinen almost went of after Colin´s Crest in 00; naturally he floored it, the other guy who went of and stayed in the ditch braked.
It is difficult knowing which guy is gonna make it, but having a motocross bakground is allways good; it helps developing your balance and your understanding for friction and more.

So this goes for everyone on this forum: if you think anyone is a dumb ***, don´t tell it to him or anyone else on the forum. I believe that we all want to create a positive atmosphere, and we won´t do that by bashing each others. If you don´t like, don´t comment on it, or report the post!
Slighly overreacting maybe, but others really get bashed from time to time: nope good...

L5->R5/CR
15th December 2006, 15:26
Oh man.... :rolleyes:

What is it with you guys. Now, I don't mean to be disrespectful but there is much more in rallying needed than just cojones. I recall similar thing happening couple years ago when Robby Gordon took part to Paris-Dakar Raid. After the Super Special Stage win, there were more than a few Nascar members hailing for Robby's win. When it didn't happen... Well, Paris-Dakar wasn't so exciting anymore. That much for support :dozey:

Maybe he'll be the next Passonen, Atkinson, or Loeb....

Who knows. For us this is like Mr. Jouhki finding a young star and getting 100% behind him. If he has the ability to do it there will be nothing stopping him, the question now is if he has the ability... I await 2008 to find out.

A.F.F.
15th December 2006, 15:32
Now you DON'T want him to be next Paasonen ;) :p :

L5->R5/CR
15th December 2006, 17:00
Now you DON'T want him to be next Paasonen ;) :p :

nope!

One is more than enough!

Kaiser
15th December 2006, 23:23
Glad to hear this! I have been following WRC for close to 10 years now thanks to a Portugeuse friend of mine and have been waiting for the day when America can get a driver into the running. being from New England and having spent considerable time in Vermont, I am glad to see a "local" company in the mix as well. Hopefully more exposure will result!

ZequeArgentina
16th December 2006, 00:22
Good news!!
And Good luck to Travis and our co-forumer.

Ahh, Argentina is a tought event for group N, a very competitive field down here. Mexico should be quite simplier.

FrankenSchwinn
16th December 2006, 01:15
I recall similar thing happening couple years ago when Robby Gordon took part to Paris-Dakar Raid.

haha and i remember how you started a thread asking nascar guys if we could borrow him for a while so he could bring some of his "ameican cockyness" (i think that's what you called it) to the wrc.... i dont know anything about him, but if we could have left him in your hands along with DJ and Tomi for a couple of weeks in finland, just to get aclimated to rallying, he might come out of the woods singing our friend Mikko's songs while flicking things sideways that are a little better than that damn hummer crap.....

FrankenSchwinn
16th December 2006, 01:17
It is difficult knowing which guy is gonna make it, but having a motocross bakground is allways good; it helps developing your balance and your understanding for friction and more.

actually, historically, it seems that to be a great rally driver you have to have been driving farm equipment......

klm-607
16th December 2006, 07:41
Wasn't Marcus Gronholm a Euro. Moto-X guy before he got into Rallying??? I heard that somewhere, can't remember where or when.

ProRally
16th December 2006, 08:28

Yes, also congrats to you and Travis (was hoping to see him today at ROC, but have to much work preparing next season), we are going to have nice time competing against you both in the PWRC event and the US events.
See you soon,

atsiotras79
16th December 2006, 08:46
Good luck to Travis and our co-forumer! Only good can do to the sport the coming of Travis into PWRC!
Hope to see you in Greece too guys!

A.F.F.
16th December 2006, 10:23
haha and i remember how you started a thread asking nascar guys if we could borrow him for a while so he could bring some of his "ameican cockyness" (i think that's what you called it) to the wrc....

Actually I wanted to borrow Robby Gordon to WRC for exact same reason now Travis is achieving. For promoting WRC in US with a huge fanbase.

What comes to American cockyness, forum members did that part.