PDA

View Full Version : MRF Tyres

Sulland
25th July 2021, 16:28
As far as I Remember they took over some of the DMack people, not sure how many.
MRF does have money behind, so they could succeed if they really want to.

How much development goes in to the MRF rally program, and is it enough to start catching up to the market leaders?

Mirek
25th July 2021, 16:54
MRF has been in rallying for a long time. I remember Jussi Valimäki driving in their colors in the APRC some fifteen years ago and it's likely they have been around already before that. Their issue is that there were no asphalt events in the APRC. That's where they lack long time experience.

dupanton
25th July 2021, 18:44
They have a former Pirelli (I think it was) top guy as well, a Brit named Jerry. Somebody here will probably know his last name :)

They are for sure developing a lot. They have a new compound from somewhere in the second half of last year.

They are certainly not bad (tested them only briefly) but they are not on the same level of Michelin either (price is a lot lower as well of course). Mainly the feeling the tyre gives is very different to Michelin.

dimviii
25th July 2021, 18:54
They have a former Pirelli (I think it was) top guy as well, a Brit named Jerry. Somebody here will probably know his last name :)

Fiorenzo Brivio is the Italian former (Pirelli-Dmack) engineer they have.

dupanton
25th July 2021, 19:41
Jerry Freeman is the guy. He also comes from Pirelli

NoFear85
25th July 2021, 22:17
Italian multi-champion Andreucci came from Pirelli to MRF. Now they test new tyre with Fabia Rally2 on italian rallyes.

Jarek Z
26th July 2021, 10:08
In the last part of the interview before Rally di Roma Capitale Simone Campedelli says only positive things about the people at MRF (of course, being their dirver he probably can't say anything else ;) ):
https://www.fiaerc.com/erc-qa-simone-campedelli/

You are part of the Team MRF Tyres’ line-up. What do you think of the potential and progress that the company is making in terms of tyre development?
Campedelli: “Last year when I met Vivek Ponnusamy and we started working together it was hard to imagine that they were so good in Rome, where they showed already a really good pace for such a new company. I’ve always felt from their side a big passion but a big strength. They want to reach the maximum level in rally and they are getting all the pieces of this puzzle to make it happen, like, for example, getting one of the best development drivers, Paolo Andreucci, who has a really good knowledge. I also have a really big experience and success. I will bet on them and I would like to see where they can get to. There is a lot of trust on both sides, they wanted somebody with their own personality who will say what they mean. They are just a few people at the moment, but everyone speaks in the right way and in one year they have won stages in the ERC with Craig Breen, Andreucci has won one rally in Italy and I’ve taken three podiums so it’s already a big achievement.”

Jarek Z
26th July 2021, 10:18
I'm not sure why Campedelli calls MRF "a new company". I remember Armin Kremer competing with MRF team nearly 20 years ago:

https://media.gettyimages.com/photos/armin-kremer-from-denmark-and-codriver-timo-gottschalk-from-denmark-picture-id50816719?s=594x594

Jarek Z
26th July 2021, 10:21
Also Jan Kopecky was driving for them in 2014:
https://www.motoroids.com/news/team-mrf-tyres-skoda-driver-jan-kopecky-takes-lead-new-caledonia/

Gregor-y
26th July 2021, 14:37
A friend of mine does distribution for MRF in the US. With the demise of Hoosier and Kumho they're a good option for the average clubman but Cooper has undercut them with a symmetrical offering that will fit left or right. Subaru and the wealthy privateers are using Michelin/Pirelli.

Fast Eddie WRC
26th July 2021, 14:50
As far as I Remember they took over some of the DMack people, not sure how many.
MRF does have money behind, so they could succeed if they really want to.

How much development goes in to the MRF rally program, and is it enough to start catching up to the market leaders?

They have Craig Breen and Simone Campedelli running in the ERC but they are not showing much progress. This is especially so on tarmac where the competition is especially tough. In some places even Michelin is clearly second best to Pirelli on this surface. In Rally di Roma the best Breen could do was two 6th place stage times.

MRF are welcome to try and get up with the best and I wish them luck - but they'll need it.

Fast Eddie WRC
29th July 2021, 09:58
https://www.fiaerc.com/data-delivered-breen-campedelli-do-the-erc-italian-job-for-team-mrf-tyres/

Sulland
29th July 2021, 11:29
But since tyres are free in ERC, they could in theory run 1st run on a SS on MRF and second run a Pirelli or Michelin to figure out where improvement is needed.

I guess this is done in testing, but there is nothing like testing in a live rally with startnumber on the side of the car!

Mirek
29th July 2021, 17:25
But since tyres are free in ERC, they could in theory run 1st run on a SS on MRF and second run a Pirelli or Michelin to figure out where improvement is needed.

I guess this is done in testing, but there is nothing like testing in a live rally with startnumber on the side of the car!

That's exactly a thing for testing. The events are about brand representation and marketing. If you'd run better tyres from a competitor company you would ruin your public image.

ictus
29th July 2021, 17:59

On a rally conditions may vary from first to second pass quite significantly. While testing you can do 2 runs within 5 minutes with 2 different sets of tires

Maui J.
29th July 2021, 21:20
JK Tyre is another Indian manufacturer of rally tyres.
Gaurav Gill who was MRF's main driver for over 10 years, and won the APRC 3x with them, switched to JK a few years ago. I was expecting to see JK make an appearance internationally but it all went quiet. Guessing covid hasn't helped.

Andre Oliveira
30th July 2021, 10:35
With Pirelli deal we will not see JK Tyre in WRC like announced.

https://stat.overdrive.in/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/Gaurav-Gill-JK-Racing-Livery.jpg

Jarek Z
16th August 2021, 12:09
They have just announced another development driver:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E86R-YZXoAEqYUh?format=jpg&name=900x900

mknight
16th August 2021, 15:01
I heard rumors that they parted with Breen for some reason.