PDA

View Full Version : Hamilton, the clever opportunist

leopard
15th May 2007, 03:37
I see this guy’s consistency scoring points on the podium is coupled with his smartness reading situation or so called opportunity at the tract. He takes benefit of someone else’s battle in front of him.

He drove closely behind Alonso at Sepang when Alonso overtaking Massa and automatically he ran the second because no space for Massa to be in between of the McLaren boys.

Again in Spain he took benefit from battle of Massa and Alonso that has caused Alonso drove into gravel and took over the second position until the race finished.

He needn’t start the race from the front row or wins even a race to be a championship leader, because he has high level of consistency and a sharp instinct to get the maximum point in every race. If he didn’t hand the second position over Alonso in Melbourne, he should have taken the lead by 4 points above Alonso.

wmcot
15th May 2007, 05:29
No doubt about it, he's VERY smart. I think he has the ability to make decisions during the race much like MS could. I would bet that he will dominate for a time in the future. I wonder if he'll grow tired with the "McLaren/Dennis Machine" and eventually leave for another team?

raikk
15th May 2007, 06:04
No doubt about it, he's VERY smart. I think he has the ability to make decisions during the race much like MS could. I would bet that he will dominate for a time in the future. I wonder if he'll grow tired with the "McLaren/Dennis Machine" and eventually leave for another team?

Unless there was a major disagreement.. Ron Dennis has done soo much for Hamilton.. most of all he belived in him.. also Mclaren are one of the most reliable teams this year(more so then Ferrari) and have great pace! why ruin a good thing?

Valve Bounce
15th May 2007, 06:39

The way Super Aguri is improving with every race, maybe Lewis will opt to go there next year. :p :

On a more sound note, Hamilton ended up finshing second because there was nowhere else to finish. He asn't going to catch the faster Massa, and Alonso never looked like catching him. I guess fousto must have told him to "drive like he stole it. "

Ian McC
15th May 2007, 07:59
I think he has adapted himself for F1, when required he can be very agressive as shown last year in GP2. Would be a real racing treat to see him start from the back of the grid.

Dave B
15th May 2007, 09:14
Part of Lewis' strength comes from the fact that he's used to racing, wheel to wheel, rather than tooling round in test sessions. That experience counts for a lot, as demonstrated by his consistantly great starts.

Mark
15th May 2007, 09:34
Well it does (finally) prove that GP2 is good after all!

F1boat
15th May 2007, 09:57
Indeed Hamilton is smart and cunning beyond his years. He looks like old veteran.

raphael123
15th May 2007, 12:12
How did he 'hand' over his position in Oz?

Hamilton - has he overtaken a car on track apart from the start of the races?

I think the only reason why he is overtaking at the start is because he's starting 4th all the time, apart from in Bahrain, when he qualified 2nd, and stayed 2nd.

Alonso, when he hasn't started at the front grid, has also made up positions at the start (Bahrain where he qualified 4th).

Not taking anything away from Hamilton, his moves at the start have been great, but I think some people are getting carried away.

Let's not forget he's completed 4 F1 races. So far he looks great, but I think people here are definately getting carried away.

truefan72
15th May 2007, 15:39
Unless there was a major disagreement.. Ron Dennis has done soo much for Hamilton.. most of all he belived in him.. also Mclaren are one of the most reliable teams this year(more so then Ferrari) and have great pace! why ruin a good thing?

done so much but pay him. $245,000 per year is pennies. Should be an interesting off season as he will renegotiate his cintract. But McClaren is a the best option for him... for now

Flat.tyres
15th May 2007, 15:43
done so much but pay him. $245,000 per year is pennies. Should be an interesting off season as he will renegotiate his cintract. But McClaren is a the best option for him... for now

There have been quite a few examples in F1 where drivers have sqandered their career in search of a big pay packet.

rule is, go where you have the best chance to win and let the money take care of itself.

truefan72
15th May 2007, 15:53

Hamilton - has he overtaken a car on track apart from the start of the races?

I think the only reason why he is overtaking at the start is because he's starting 4th all the time, apart from in Bahrain, when he qualified 2nd, and stayed 2nd.

Alonso, when he hasn't started at the front grid, has also made up positions at the start (Bahrain where he qualified 4th).

Not taking anything away from Hamilton, his moves at the start have been great, but I think some people are getting carried away.

Let's not forget he's completed 4 F1 races. So far he looks great, but I think people here are definately getting carried away.

based on your comments here and on other threads, you simply don't like the guy. At every chance, you take the opportunity to play down his perfromance and results. What he has done so far is nothing short of spectacular. He is leading the WDC and beating his 2 time WDC teamate. The Ferrari's are the only cars faster than the McClarens and Massa hasn't put a foot wrong since Sepang. Even Kimmi ( who was pegged to win the WDC ) is no match for him at the moment. So I am not sure what the point of your comments are. Your disdain for him is subtle on the surface but reaks of a stronger undercurrent.

I can understand the backlash of the media frenzy surrounding him. But his driving and performances to date cannot be questioned. The guy is writing history with every performance. I am sure once hie wins his first race ( and has a good chance in Monte Carlo) even then, you will find fault in his performance.

I strongly suspect that barring any mechanical failures, he will finish in the points in every race this year. ( and probablyu no lower than fifth)

Lets just enjoy these performances by a "rookie" and save the criticism after he has not won a race after 60 races or so.
On the F1 grid today, there are only 5 drivers who have won F1 races. And suffice it to say, many didn't win one in their first F1 season. But non of them were leading the WDC.

truefan72
15th May 2007, 15:58
There have been quite a few examples in F1 where drivers have sqandered their career in search of a big pay packet.

rule is, go where you have the best chance to win and let the money take care of itself.

I agree, but surely he will get paid more than his current contract. Don't you think? There are test drivers out there making more than him.

I am not saying that he should sign with the highest bidder. But just renegotiatge his contract commiserative to his performance.
The " he should be lucky he drives for McClaren" argument won't hold up in this case.

I coulkd see him going to Renault or BMW in a few years if need be.

codalunga
15th May 2007, 16:09
He needn’t start the race from the front row or wins even a race to be a championship leader, because he has high level of consistency and a sharp instinct to get the maximum point in every race. If he didn’t hand the second position over Alonso in Melbourne, he should have taken the lead by 4 points above Alonso.

He's a smart driver. He takes calculated risks, doesn't throw much away, his car hasn't let him down, and he's only going to get better. He's going to be awesome.

wedge
15th May 2007, 16:11
Lewis is gifted. No doubt about it.

Natural talent, car control, skill, racecraft.

He has it.

Faults? Small but minor for any rookie. Lewis/McLaren seem to make the wrong call on tyre pressure adjustments on his first stop and second stint. No doubt McLaren and their drivers want to maximise the BS tyres.

kalasend
15th May 2007, 18:17
I agree, but surely he will get paid more than his current contract. Don't you think? There are test drivers out there making more than him.

I am not saying that he should sign with the highest bidder. But just renegotiatge his contract commiserative to his performance.
The " he should be lucky he drives for McClaren" argument won't hold up in this case.

I coulkd see him going to Renault or BMW in a few years if need be.

Why worry about Hamilton's pay? I am sure Hamilton himself isn't worrying about that. Perhaps his father does. Getting paid pennies in his rookie season is perfectly fine. What's more important for him is to show that he's worth more than that. He will get a raise next year for sure.

ioan
15th May 2007, 18:25
Why worry about Hamilton's pay? I am sure Hamilton himself isn't worrying about that. Perhaps his father does. Getting paid pennies in his rookie season is perfectly fine. What's more important for him is to show that he's worth more than that. He will get a raise next year for sure.

He might get a raise already this season if he continues to improve, as Ron will want to make sure that he is happy at McLaren.

jens
15th May 2007, 19:15
It looks like Heidfeld and Hamilton are the most consistent drivers on the grid at the moment. Consistency seems to be the key, why Hamilton leads ahead of Alonso in the WDC at the moment - Fernando had a bad weekend in Bahrain as Lewis has been quick everywhere so far.

He's not only smart, but also his nerves seem to strong. I think that Hamilton is psychologically in the best situation at the moment even though he is leading the WDC. No-one really pressures him to win the title on his debut season and if he happens to have a bad race, then that won't make any harm at all to his confidence, because he has already exceeded everyone's expectations.

rlenis
15th May 2007, 22:50
Hamilton's starts have been looking impressive primarily because Kimi has done a very poor job at keeping his position. In Malaysia Hamilton started 4th and by the end of T1 he was already second because Kimi opened the door for him. Last Sunday it was the same story.

rohanweb
15th May 2007, 22:52
based on your comments here and on other threads, you simply don't like the guy. At every chance, you take the opportunity to play down his perfromance and results. What he has done so far is nothing short of spectacular. He is leading the WDC and beating his 2 time WDC teamate. The Ferrari's are the only cars faster than the McClarens and Massa hasn't put a foot wrong since Sepang. Even Kimmi ( who was pegged to win the WDC ) is no match for him at the moment. So I am not sure what the point of your comments are. Your disdain for him is subtle on the surface but reaks of a stronger undercurrent.

I can understand the backlash of the media frenzy surrounding him. But his driving and performances to date cannot be questioned. The guy is writing history with every performance. I am sure once hie wins his first race ( and has a good chance in Monte Carlo) even then, you will find fault in his performance.

I strongly suspect that barring any mechanical failures, he will finish in the points in every race this year. ( and probablyu no lower than fifth)

Lets just enjoy these performances by a "rookie" and save the criticism after he has not won a race after 60 races or so.
On the F1 grid today, there are only 5 drivers who have won F1 races. And suffice it to say, many didn't win one in their first F1 season. But non of them were leading the WDC.

Totally agreed!
LH has natural talent, and he is showing it very well to his team-mate twice world champion, after long time, soon we are going to see a British worldchampion after Damon Hill for sure, the guy is getting better and better, the only person/car who can deny him victories this season is Massa/ferrari.

raphael123
15th May 2007, 23:05

Incorrect :rolleyes:

I actually like Lewis. I would love to see him win in Monaco, and be Champion one day.

And I agree, what he has done so far is nothing short of spectacular - well it is actually!!

I just don't think we should get carried away after 4 races. 4 races!!

I think you got a bit carried away, just because I don't go on and on about him, and say stuff like he's the next Schumacher etc, doesn't mean I dislike the guy :dozey:

Kevincal
16th May 2007, 00:25
Ok, it is obvious that Hamilton is a really good driver...BUT, has a rookie in F1 EVER had a consistent podium car in their rookie season like Lewis? ...

rlenis
16th May 2007, 00:35
Ok, it is obvious that Hamilton is a really good driver...BUT, has a rookie in F1 EVER had a consistent podium car in their rookie season like Lewis? ...

JV, he won in his 4th race in F1

leopard
16th May 2007, 04:08

Wasn't McLaren pitstop strategy clear enough to explain this as itself explanatory? :\

Valve Bounce
16th May 2007, 04:31
JV, he won in his 4th race in F1

I think he also had a podium in his first F1 rce, but was thwarted from winning by a perceived engine issue when he was instructed to slow - which let Damon Hill through.

Dave B
16th May 2007, 09:29
"Perceived"? It was pissing oil everywhere! Remember the state of the rear wing after the race? It was practically brown.

Valve Bounce
16th May 2007, 09:58
"Perceived"? It was pissing oil everywhere! Remember the state of the rear wing after the race? It was practically brown.

That's how they perceive it.

I have always wondered whether Jacques would have won had he had adopted a shyte or bust attitude for those remaining laps. And I just wonder whether that may have been enough to have won him the championship that year. I guess we'll never know.

Flat.tyres
16th May 2007, 10:11

I don't think anyone could call JV a rookie when he came to the series. new to f1 perhaps but hardly a rookie. he was also far and away in the best car where that isnt the situation this year with Lewis. it is correct to say that lewis has had the best start of any driver coming into f1.

on the subject of pay then its not even worth worrying about. Lewis is well taken care of at McLaren. he is being assisted all through this year and the company are making allowances for family as well to ensure Lewis is in a situation that is comfortable and consistant for him. Salery is not an issue because he is focuses on his career and what he needs to do to succeed. Dont forget that Ron has been instrumental all through his career. when he needed money for a season, Ron was there. When it came to guiding him and directing his education, Ron was there. when it came to progressing him through the formulas and preparing him for his career, Ron was there. when it came to providing a f1 team and car, Ron was there.

Do you really think after all that that Ron will not continue to support Lewis and ensure his success. lewis looks on Ron as a biot of a guardian and mentor so the relationship is very strong between them and trust exists on both sides.

raphael123
16th May 2007, 10:56
Wasn't McLaren pitstop strategy clear enough to explain this as itself explanatory? :\

I think had Sato not got in Lewis's way, Hamilton would have probably kept his position even though he was pitting in earlier.

raphael123
16th May 2007, 11:00
That's how they perceive it.

I have always wondered whether Jacques would have won had he had adopted a shyte or bust attitude for those remaining laps. And I just wonder whether that may have been enough to have won him the championship that year. I guess we'll never know.

The answer is no. Hill beat Villeneuve by some 20 odd points. Villeneuve lost 4pts to Hill that race. And as has been said, if he had tried to keep his 1st place, it's unlikely he would have finished the race, so it would have cost him 10pts to Hill instead of just 4.

leopard
16th May 2007, 11:25
I think had Sato not got in Lewis's way, Hamilton would have probably kept his position even though he was pitting in earlier.
Sato was at that time the right alibi to apply their strategy

Big Ben
16th May 2007, 22:23
Farina won the championship in his first year...

Zico
16th May 2007, 22:32
He takes benefit of someone else’s battle in front of him.

He drove closely behind Alonso at Sepang when Alonso overtaking Massa and automatically he ran the second because no space for Massa to be in between of the McLaren boys.

Something he used to do in his Karting days.. some of the moves he made in the following videos are quite breathtaking.

First ever race in the Junior Intercontinental A class http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qt_PJqM-sRc

Kadet class.. three places in one corner! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1ysjoxN2xM

Chaparral66
16th May 2007, 23:59
Part of Lewis' strength comes from the fact that he's used to racing, wheel to wheel, rather than tooling round in test sessions. That experience counts for a lot, as demonstrated by his consistantly great starts.

This is probably the most insightful comment I've seen to date on Hamilton. My compliments. Thousands of testing miles couldn't possibly make up for real racing, wheel to wheel, matching wits with the other guy, experience. Hamilton is the real deal, no question. I'm not sure sure you can teach the kind of track savvy this kid has.

BDunnell
17th May 2007, 00:03
This is probably the most insightful comment I've seen to date on Hamilton. My compliments. Thousands of testing miles couldn't possibly make up for real racing, wheel to wheel, matching wits with the other guy, experience. Hamilton is the real deal, no question. I'm not sure sure you can teach the kind of track savvy this kid has.

I agree.

I simply cannot imagine that Pedro de la Rosa, as good a driver as he is, would be leading the championship at this moment.

Kevincal
17th May 2007, 00:36
Farina won the championship in his first year...

Crazy! What year was this? I know...I could take 1 minute and look it up myself. :P

ShiftingGears
17th May 2007, 07:31
1950, the first year of the Formula One world championship :p :

ArrowsFA1
17th May 2007, 11:43
Part of Lewis' strength comes from the fact that he's used to racing, wheel to wheel, rather than tooling round in test sessions.
Absolutely :up:

Kevincal
17th May 2007, 22:56
1950, the first year of the Formula One world championship :p :

Wow...Wait...No wonder. Everyone was a rookie! lol But how old was Farina and how much experience did he have? Was he a pseudo rookie? :P

Kevincal
17th May 2007, 22:58
For someone who has followed Lewis' career...Has he ever had a major accident and/or been injured? It might explain why he's so fast!

Ian McC
17th May 2007, 23:37

Always been my point, never like the idea of shoving good drivers into testing for a couple of years as it's the 'best route into F1', load of cobblers more like it. I wouldn't go as far to say "Those who can, race. Those who can't, test" but people seem to lose their edge. For example I think will will see more from the Ant as the season progresses.

wedge
18th May 2007, 01:44
Wheel to wheel racing on the limit is natural to him.

Derek Warwick famously said that the majority of drivers have to drive at 97% of their ability to drive on the limit. The special ones can cruise at 90% of their ability and they're still close to the limit and yet have the extra mental capacity to deal tactics and strategy.

Lewis is gifted.

If you've got 'it' then you don't lose it.

Lauda took a sabbatical and still became WDC.

I firmly believe if Lewis took a break from racing he would not lose some of that magic.

On hindsight Lewis could easily make the transition from F3 to F1. Ron wanted to confirm his suspicions that Lewis wasn't another Jan Magnusson.

raphael123
18th May 2007, 02:01
I think we should wait a bit longer before talking about him in this way. At the moment, you guys are making out that he is going to become the best in the world, become one of the greats in F1! From here on, he can only fail to meet our expectations. Even if he only wins one title before the end of his career, it will be deemed a failure, as some of you guys are comparing him to the likes of Senna and Schumacher etc.

Some 'mind-readers' on this forum may think because I'm not licking his a*se and claiming him to be the next F1 god, must mean I don't like the guy. That's not true. From what we've seen so far, he will undoubtedly hav the talent to go on and win title/s and many many race victories. However I do feel we shouldn't get too carried away after just 4 races. Yes...4 races!!

But you have to admit, I don't think we've ever seen such an impact from a rookie driver! Not even Schumacher, or Alesi! I hope he does go on to become a great!

Regarding the testing, I think your forgetting Massa and Alonso, two recent drivers who took a year out testing, and came back VERY strongly! However, the likes of Wurz and De La Rosa have been testing for too long. Panis is also another good example.

ClarkFan
18th May 2007, 02:44
I do recall one rookie who showed form very close to what Hamilton is showing now. John Young Stewart in 1965. He had a pretty OK career, too. Stewart didn't ever lead the championship that year, but Alonso and Kimi still aren't up to Jim Clark at the peak of his driving powers.

ClarkFan