PDA

View Full Version : Virtually no overtaking but great race...

Mikeall
14th May 2007, 14:21
The common complaint about F1 is there is not enough overtaking and therefore F1 is boring. In yesterdays there was none after lap 3 or 4 yet it was a really interesting race with loads of stuff going on. It did help that the TV coverage was really good allowing us to watch the whole race and follow the whole story. The onboard camera of DC in the final laps alongside his gear changes and revs was revolutionary because it allowed the viewer to see exactly what he was doing to cope with his gearbox problem.

Another really good thing was the onboard camera on Fisichella when following Barrichello and being able to hear him hit the rev counter with no chance of going any faster. Perhaps thats a sign that F1 should follow champ cars lead and allow every driver a certain amount of increased revs in a race. Rather than the Alonso vs Schumacher battles at Imola ending as they started maybe there will be more chance of last lap passes like Raikkonen vs Fisichella in Suzuka or Bourdais vs Wilson in Mexico City.

The track changes over the last few years really haven't helped overtaking but the camera positioned at the chicane was ideally positioned showing how the drivers attacked the kerbs and the effect it had on the stability of the car. Maybe a slightly higher kerb would cause more problems and more opportunity for overtaking...

Also great result for Super Aguri, admittedly people retired and had problems but they kept going throughout the race and quickly to finish ahead of a Renault, two Hondas and two Spykers and unlike Ferrari, BMW, Toyota, Red Bull, Toro Rosso got both cars to the finish.

ioan
14th May 2007, 14:45
It wasn't such a bad race, especially the start and the last 10 laps or so.
The midfield was packed with closed running for the whole race.
I would say I liked it easily more than Malaysian and Oz GP.

Daika
14th May 2007, 14:46
Button overtook Barichello

Georgeboi999
14th May 2007, 16:15
Trulli went past Sutil

futuretiger9
14th May 2007, 21:31
There were some intriguing battles and some surprising performances. I thought Rosberg and DC were both excellent, and the Super Aguris continue to impress.

Happily, Heikki got a nice clean run, and that will do his confidence the world of good.

A pity that the Hondas could not avoid each other....

Valve Bounce
15th May 2007, 03:11
Some of us follow the race on Formula1.com as it provides split times as well as give the gaps between cars and also some commentary. Of course if you also have live coverage via TV at the same time, then it would be a bomus.

Unfortunately, we in Oz have to put up with a stupid Big Brother up-late show at 10.10 while the race starts at 10. By the time the broadcast comes on well after 11.15, the race is almost over.

I have started following the race on formula1.com on the lap top, while a chat with other members my PC.

The race has been taped, and I'll probably watch it after lunch today.

ShiftingGears
15th May 2007, 08:36
It wasn't great, but the pants weren't bored off me. It was interesting - but still, I'd shoot the fool who devised the idea of that final chicane.

aryan
15th May 2007, 11:26
Unfortunately, we in Oz have to put up with a stupid Big Brother up-late show at 10.10 while the race starts at 10. By the time the broadcast comes on well after 11.15, the race is almost over.

Yepp, Network Ten's coverage is a PITA. It's like they value everything more than F1, and will put F1 on the last time slot no matter what comes before it.

I used to watch the live timing and TV both when I was in Europe, here I have to choose between one of the two. :(

ShiftingGears
15th May 2007, 11:36
I'd pick TV over live timing any day, personally. Watching numbers on a screen doesn't enthuse me as much as cars AND numbers on a screen :p :

raphael123
15th May 2007, 11:43
A great race? You've obviously not watched many races :laugh:

Ranger
15th May 2007, 12:04
There are about 60 laps in most F1 races. I have found it rather sad that, in the past 4 races, the winner has been the race leader after Turn 2 on lap 1.

I thought to myself after Allen's comment of "Alonso's going to find it very hard to catch Massa now" that the order probably won't change for the rest of the race after that.

At the time I turned the TV off with 20 laps to go, barring a few retirements, the prediction was correct.

Great race my arse, unfortunately.