PDA

View Full Version : [WRC] 70th Rally Finland 2021

Pages : [1] 2 3

Eli
27th May 2021, 08:55
Route revealed for the 70th Anniversary of Rally Finland, a bit short compered to other years, considering the situation I guess it's no surprise to anyone.

https://www.rallyfinland.fi/en/info/uutiset/no-compromise-as-70th-anniversary-rally-finland-route-revealed/

Should be interesting as we do get a few evening/night time stages.

19 Stages completing 287.11kms.

AnttiL
27th May 2021, 09:02
- Vesala shakedown, Ässämäki, Moksi, Oittila and Päijälä are run reversed compared to 2019. Parts of Vesala, Päijälä, Oittila and Ässämäki have never been run in this direction.
- Kakaristo starts on a new section, comes from a completely new direction to the Kakaristo junction, proceeds on last year's route and extends longer using a bit of road driven on the Hassi stage in 2011
- Arvaja is driven like planned for 2020, but it's a completely new stage for the current drivers, last used in 1994.
- Patajoki is a new title, but it uses roads from Vaheri and Himos stages, used in the 90's and 00's. The last time any bit of this stage was used was 2010. The ending is completely new.
- Sunday is exactly like 2019.

A great route, great implementation of a three-day route when they packed in the shakedown, opening super special and five forest stages inside Friday. Almost like in my blog post from a year back ;)

polomayu
27th May 2021, 09:19
Do you know more or less wich ones will be run with light pods for the wrcs?

EstWRC
27th May 2021, 09:25
seems like a awesome route, cant wait....i really hope the foreigners can go

sindroms
27th May 2021, 09:36
Route revealed for the 70th Anniversary of Rally Finland, a bit short compered to other years, considering the situation I guess it's no surprise to anyone.

https://www.rallyfinland.fi/en/info/uutiset/no-compromise-as-70th-anniversary-rally-finland-route-revealed/

Should be interesting as we do get a few evening/night time stages.

19 Stages completing 287.11kms.

Wow.. I will start believe in God for real :) Yesterday I was strucked by idea to make accommodation reservation and did it. Today it's completely different story I suppose.

AnttiL
27th May 2021, 10:22
More thoughts on the stages

https://itgetsfasternow.com/2021/05/27/rally-finland-2021-route-revealed/

AnttiL
27th May 2021, 10:23
Do you know more or less wich ones will be run with light pods for the wrcs?

SS5 Oittila and SS15 Harju. And likely some dark action from WRC2 onwards on SS14, and maybe dark from WRC3 onwards on SS4.

polomayu
27th May 2021, 10:43
Thanks! Awesome work in your blog!

Rallyper
27th May 2021, 11:39
More thoughts on the stages

https://itgetsfasternow.com/2021/05/27/rally-finland-2021-route-revealed/

Very good summary. Thanks!

Fredouye
28th May 2021, 03:23
Thanks! Awesome work in your blog!

+1

No summary for Sardegna ? ;)

AnttiL
28th May 2021, 04:28
+1

No summary for Sardegna ? ;)

Soon :)

pantealex
2nd June 2021, 08:25
NAT 2 and 4 cars will also be allowed in main competition. (Mitsu, Subaru, Civic, C2R2, S2000 cars)
(Kai Tarkiainen Twitter)

(+ probably F "Vetomies" rally for Saturday)

polomayu
30th June 2021, 07:15
Hi everybody, any info or aany rumours about how will they manage spectators?

pantealex
30th June 2021, 07:48
Hi everybody, any info or aany rumours about how will they manage spectators?

Right now spectating is fully allowed, just like old days.

But as we know things can change ...

polomayu
30th June 2021, 11:57
Thanks for the info!!

linni
30th June 2021, 14:14
Right now spectating is fully allowed, just like old days.

But as we know things can change ...

Some footbal fans already took care of it, returning from Russia with some nasty delta versions.
Hope it will not spread.

Credits to Himoslomat - they have been transferring the accommodation accordingly to rally timetable.

EstWRC
14th July 2021, 09:27
Get your Rally Finland Passes now! ��
The pre-sales are open for the very limited "Collector Edition" passes which allows you to access to all the stages of the 70th Edition!
Don't miss it! Buy your access here ���� https://tickets.rallyfinland.fi/
More passes will be available in August as soon as we receive more accurate official infos about the COVID Restrictions for the event.

https://tickets.rallyfinland.fi/rally-finland

pantealex
14th July 2021, 14:47
Get your Rally Finland Passes now! ��
The pre-sales are open for the very limited "Collector Edition" passes which allows you to access to all the stages of the 70th Edition!
Don't miss it! Buy your access here ���� https://tickets.rallyfinland.fi/
More passes will be available in August as soon as we receive more accurate official infos about the COVID Restrictions for the event.

https://tickets.rallyfinland.fi/rally-finland

That´s 90€ and can buy only 2 (both with spectators name) In case of restrictions this one let´s you choose X number of stages with your own choice

"Normal" Rallypass should be 70€ (70th edition you know) if covid restrictions come this will be the one where organization "tells your stages" (you can´t choose freely)

Tough call I would say.

tommeke_B
14th July 2021, 15:30
It would be cool to have the page in English as well, to order some tickets...

Rallyper
15th July 2021, 08:34
That´s 90€ and can buy only 2 (both with spectators name) In case of restrictions this one let´s you choose X number of stages with your own choice

"Normal" Rallypass should be 70€ (70th edition you know) if covid restrictions come this will be the one where organization "tells your stages" (you can´t choose freely)

Tough call I would say.

This could be a new way of making difference for experienced, non experienced visitors.

However, if only money is decider, it´ll be no difference. There has to be a system with identifications for real fans. Maybe promoter can provide a system?

Yes, I know. It won´t work...

Jewy46
16th July 2021, 12:35
Hi guys. A little confused here about the tickets. Is there an advantage to buying the ones available now as opposed to waiting for the ones in August?
Thanks

masa90
16th July 2021, 12:52
Hi guys. A little confused here about the tickets. Is there an advantage to buying the ones available now as opposed to waiting for the ones in August?
Thanks

Well it might just be that these are the only ones the will sell. With these you get priority if they have big restrictions on in early october. In worst case scenario you paid 20-30€ with no real benefit.

Tauri_J
23rd July 2021, 08:43
Not looking great right now.

Is there any possibility to run this rally without spectators?

EstWRC
23rd July 2021, 08:45
i will never get why they moved it further to autumn time, didnt they see that last year at the same time it got a lot worse?

would have been done in a weeks time with the original date

rp
23rd July 2021, 12:12
i will never get why they moved it further to autumn time, didnt they see that last year at the same time it got a lot worse?

would have been done in a weeks time with the original date

Very stupid decision indeed! At the end of July (next week) everything should have been possible. No way the situation is same in September. The first COVID restrictions are coming already tomorrow in South of Finland. :(

Of course it was a difficult decision and Finnish government was not able to say what will happen due to the restrictions (it took too much time) and AKK Motorsport had to make some decision already at the end of May/start of June. Surely there will be no Rally Finland at all if spectators are not allowed.

the sniper
23rd July 2021, 15:40
How are the vaccinations going in Finland?

Eli
23rd July 2021, 16:05

This is how they stack up against last event in Estonia, and the next final rounds (according to data from the 21.7.21):

https://ourworldindata.org/covid-vaccinations

SubaruNorway
23rd July 2021, 18:45
If it stays the same in Norway I'm probably not getting my 2nd shot (First next week) before the rally week so already given up going :(

pantealex
23rd July 2021, 21:02

Everyone who wants it, is having 2nd one before Rally.

I think this was one of biggest reason why Rally is scheduled in October.

satnav
23rd July 2021, 21:54
I've already had my 2 jabs but i'm giving travelling a miss until next year when hopefully its all settled down.

pantealex
24th July 2021, 13:35
Entries are open, closing end of August
-no limit of accepted number of entries
-foreign crews can also enter with NAT 2/4 cars (20y old cars accepted like EVO7, Fiesta 2.0 ST, Civic Type-R. S2000 and Spanish N5 accepted)

-Regulations are made with full Covid, HD area with mandatory face mask.

-TV stages are published

-over 50 pages of reading ;)

https://rallyfinland.fi/wp-content/uploads/2021/07/RF-SupplementaryRegulations_20210723_FINAL-1.pdf

masa90
26th July 2021, 07:25
Thanks for that 👍 Lets see how it goes, I bought the ticket and allocated some of my summer holiday to October now. Gonna get last c19 vaccination in time aswell.

rp
29th July 2021, 20:15
MXGP Finland (21.-22.8.2021) was already cancelled today, so waiting when they will make the announcement of Rally Finland.

The COVID19 situation is getting worse every day and week in Finland, but still it would have been possible without the problems during this weekend. Such a shame that they moved the original date! :(

pantealex
29th July 2021, 20:55
Well I really hope that we don´t have worse Covid situation 2 months from now ...

and I´m not thinking about Rally in this matter.

We had music festival in Paviljonki area 2 weeks ago with only 5K audience daily, Covid cases in Jyväskylä went 100% up after that.

Rallyper
30th July 2021, 08:20
Well I really hope that we don´t have worse Covid situation 2 months from now ...

and I´m not thinking about Rally in this matter.

We had music festival in Paviljonki area 2 weeks ago with only 5K audience daily, Covid cases in Jyväskylä went 100% up after that.

100% from what numbers? 1 - 5 - 100?

The situation doesn´t look good. However vaccinations still going on...

the sniper
30th July 2021, 16:46
Once the vaccines have been taken up by all those willing to do so, surely there has to come a point where case rises are just taken on the chin? I appreciate this change will be harder to stomach in countries where Covid has been handled/suppressed better than here in England/the UK throughout this whole affair.

pantealex
30th July 2021, 20:22
100% from what numbers? 1 - 5 - 100?

The situation doesn´t look good. However vaccinations still going on...

Numbers are luckily small but there is big Rock Festival coming. I´m going out from city that weekend, to watch ERC Historic / RalliSM in Lahti area.

Jewy46
18th August 2021, 16:19
Have any of you ordered and received the rally passes?
I ordered mine a couple of weeks ago but no sign of them yet.

masa90
19th August 2021, 07:48
Ordered, no sign of them yet. They charged the postagefee though, so should arrive soon I guess.

polomayu
20th August 2021, 07:41
Hi! Anyon knows if passes will be available at gas stations like years before??

masa90
20th August 2021, 12:43
No official info, but I would not count on it.

pantealex
20th August 2021, 17:38
Have any of you ordered and received the rally passes?
I ordered mine a couple of weeks ago but no sign of them yet.

Official info from today was "They will start sending those in September"

pantealex
20th August 2021, 17:44
Hi! Anyon knows if passes will be available at gas stations like years before??

Right now only those 100€ "Special Access" passes are on sale. Those all have pass owners name printed on them, so will not be sold in any stores.

No info about "normal" rally passes. It probably depends how spectating is allowed.

NESTE is no longer rally sponsor so if tickets will be available, seller could be some other place/chain.

SubaruNorway
27th August 2021, 10:51
Finland has now gone red I see 😔

dimviii
27th August 2021, 12:23
hmsgofficial
@HMSGOfficial
·
20m
#WRC2 Cheering megaphone Announcing our WRC 2 line-up for @RallyFinland
! Our Junior Drivers @OliverSolberg01
& @HuttunenRacing
are ready to take on round Keycap ten of the @OfficialWRC
- in the Hyundai i20 N Rally2!

Game ON!

Rallyper
27th August 2021, 14:41
Finland has now gone red I see ��

whilst denmark withdraw all restrictions 10 of september...

linni
27th August 2021, 16:40
Just bought ferry tickets today.
Accommodation booked two years ago.
Waiting for the average guy`s rally passes.
Twice injected, don`t see any problem here.

EstWRC
31st August 2021, 08:14
Secto Rally Finland is the new name as i understand

press conf. going on atm https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-piLyTeVka4

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E-GsdMoXsAAPmDZ?format=jpg&name=small

AMSS
31st August 2021, 13:57
Lappi in 5th WRC Yaris in rally Finland according to the below
http://urheiluuutiset.com/lappi-tekee-paluun-wrc-auton-rattiin-toyotalla-jyvaskylan-mm-ralliin/

mknight
31st August 2021, 14:06
That would be interesting in multiple ways...

- Does it mean he is hired (likely) or are they "testing" him?
- Without getting nominated for points he will not score manu points and likely "steal" driver points, but maybe that's the goal since Toyota and Ogier have a decent lead
- Means Suninen would start with Hyundai

Let's hope they just didn't mix up the 5th Toyota as entered with Lappi instead of Suninen.

EstWRC
31st August 2021, 14:30
confirmation coming it seems https://twitter.com/EsapekkaLappi/status/1432706962450419725?s=20

ipe
31st August 2021, 15:18
Lappi has been awesome this season. Definitely deserved.

AnttiL
31st August 2021, 16:34
https://dirtfish.com/rally/wrc/lappi-will-drive-fifth-toyota-yaris-wrc-on-rally-finland/

Sulland
31st August 2021, 16:42
Cool!!
Lappi in my pickems will be in top 3.

mknight
31st August 2021, 17:15
It also says that Suninen will drive a Polo R5. That's a serious disappointment after the hype of last two days.

pantealex
31st August 2021, 17:52
Entry will close at midnight, entrylist should be out on Friday.

Lappi entry seems to be with his own sponsors (colors) just like Grönholm and JML were in Sweden.
Rumour says that RENT deal was made in April, so it´s privately funded not "TGR entry"

Danny0405
31st August 2021, 18:37
Clearly much more logical to put the 5th car for Lappi.
He was the top contender for the seat next year and it was a good opportunity to give him a WRC rallye to avoid losing habits at this level.

I’m waiting to see what he can do

What is said above about the fact that it is a rental agreement may explain why he does few rallies in the rest of the year (saving money for this opportunity)

EstWRC
31st August 2021, 19:04
Cool!!
Lappi in my pickems will be in top 3.

TOP3 would be a huge achievement...dont get me wrong, i dont doubt his capabilities and talent but its just the fact that the others have been in the car all season long while he hasnt.

And he hasnt driven with the Toyota for 3 years now basically.

we will see.

mknight
31st August 2021, 19:10
It's been really up and down for him in Finland.
Only win in Yaris(2017) and 2nd in C3 (2019)...but also crashing out of 4th as slowest Yaris when Tanak in same car dominated in 2018.

The obvious goal has to be to defeat Ogier, Evans and Neuville who all have bad startpositions and don't have very good results in Finland.

rp
31st August 2021, 19:48
It would be great to see Lappi driving Yaris and not a surprise at all. Hard and almost impossible to beat Rovanperä and Tänak in Finland. A podium is possible, but also Breen is there. Evans, Ogier, Neuville and Katsuta will be behind and of course M-Sport drivers. But it will be a tight fight with Greensmith, Fourmaux and Suninen if he is driving Polo R5...

Danny0405
1st September 2021, 16:29
Quite surprising to see Suninen in a Polo on the other hand; to decide to leave M-Sport at this period, I thought it would be with a clear idea and a good plan.
But I’m not sure of the plan then: is the Polo better than the Fiesta Rally2? (Because he is paying in the two cases). Not sure according to me. Anyway, he will have pressure because Lappi has beaten Mikkelsen and Ostberg with this car.
Or is it a question of money? Maybe that, with no chance to follow with M-Sport, Jouhki didn’t want to pay the full bill for the last 4 rounds and prefers a cheaper option by renting a Polo on only two rallyes.

rp
1st September 2021, 16:39
Quite surprising to see Suninen in a Polo on the other hand; to decide to leave M-Sport at this period, I thought it would be with a clear idea and a good plan.
But I’m not sure of the plan then: is the Polo better than the Fiesta Rally2? (Because he is paying in the two cases). Not sure according to me. Anyway, he will have pressure because Lappi has beaten Mikkelsen and Ostberg with this car.
Or is it a question of money? Maybe that, with no chance to follow with M-Sport, Jouhki didn’t want to pay the full bill for the last 4 rounds and prefers a cheaper option by renting a Polo on only two rallyes.

Printsport´s Polo is surely better in Finland than Fiesta, but probably not in Spain. That´s true. He has to beat Mikkelsen and Ostberg, but also Huttunen and not an easy job...

mknight
1st September 2021, 16:54

Yep, it sounded like they have so great plan so everyone was expecting Toyota or Hyundai... and then he will show up in Polo.

Polo has been usually a bit better than Fabia on fast rallies (recently I noticed Kaur went to Finland with it and beat all Finish guys), but generally seems to be a bit weaker when the conditions are changing and/or more slippery. Which might easily happen in start of October. Fiesta seems weakest on slippery and fast gravel and strongest on tarmac. Anyway Mikkelsen will not be driving Finland or Spain in WRC2, since he has 6 starts by then out of max 7 and the last last needs to be "outside Europe" in Japan to score teampoints for Toksport. In case Japan gets replaced by Monza I guess they go there. Also during that weekend he will drive ERC.

So in Finland it will be Østberg, Huttunen, Solberg and maybe Gryazin.

Danny0405
1st September 2021, 17:22
Ok, maybe I do not evaluate well the Polo because I do not follow very precisely most of the national championships (except the main ones).

For me, the car was average (not awful but probably a disappointment with the expectations due to the VW WRC era + Skoda experience and the fact that it was supposed to to replace Skoda which stopped its development on the Fabia) with some reliability issues. Finally, the Fabia is still the most consistant car in the class according to me (and they will make new developments in 2022 apparently) and between the Citroen, the Polo, the Hyundai and the Fiesta, there is no big gap (maybe the Hyundai and the Fiesta are a little less efficient considering the results but it is complicated to say because you must take into account the quality of the drivers in the mix).

So replacing a program with 2 Fiesta Rally2 drives + 1 WRC rally by a program with, at best, 2 outings in a Polo, could be strange.

But in the same time, the price is certainly not the same + considering the low performances of the Fiesta WRC in fast gravel, he may have wanted to avoid to drive it in Finland (because Estonia has been quite a bad operation in terms of reputation for Suninen)

Lancia Stratos
2nd September 2021, 11:07
Confirmed - private deal for Lappi.

https://www.wrc.com/en/news/2021/wrc/lappi-seals-private-yaris-drive-at-rally-finland/

AnttiL
2nd September 2021, 11:24
Ok, maybe I do not evaluate well the Polo because I do not follow very precisely most of the national championships (except the main ones).

For me, the car was average (not awful but probably a disappointment with the expectations due to the VW WRC era + Skoda experience and the fact that it was supposed to to replace Skoda which stopped its development on the Fabia) with some reliability issues. Finally, the Fabia is still the most consistant car in the class according to me (and they will make new developments in 2022 apparently) and between the Citroen, the Polo, the Hyundai and the Fiesta, there is no big gap (maybe the Hyundai and the Fiesta are a little less efficient considering the results but it is complicated to say because you must take into account the quality of the drivers in the mix).

So replacing a program with 2 Fiesta Rally2 drives + 1 WRC rally by a program with, at best, 2 outings in a Polo, could be strange.

But in the same time, the price is certainly not the same + considering the low performances of the Fiesta WRC in fast gravel, he may have wanted to avoid to drive it in Finland (because Estonia has been quite a bad operation in terms of reputation for Suninen)

I would say Polo is still the second best Rally2 car next to the Fabia, especially on fast rallies. Citroen, Hyundai and Fiesta are more on the level on technical gravel and tarmac rallies.

Andre Oliveira
2nd September 2021, 16:56
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E-S4FiwX0AQi9rT?format=jpg&name=large

AnttiL
2nd September 2021, 17:02
https://twitter.com/TeemuSuninenRac/status/1433473284272791559

We will compete at the #RallyFinland 2021!d We’ll drive with the VW Polo GTI in the #WRC2. It always feels special to drive at my home rally. Can’t wait to get behind the wheel especially when it’s the 70th edition of the rally.

Quick Finnish gravel roads here we come again!

Danny0405
2nd September 2021, 17:12
I would say Polo is still the second best Rally2 car next to the Fabia, especially on fast rallies. Citroen, Hyundai and Fiesta are more on the level on technical gravel and tarmac rallies.

Seems quite right because Gryazin told that he will be with a Polo in Finland (deal already set before switching to M-Sport).

EstWRC
2nd September 2021, 19:43
thats Egon Kaurs livery

pantealex
3rd September 2021, 06:29
thats Egon Kaurs livery

and Juha Salo livery. (M.Rautio colors black/white)

Andre Oliveira
3rd September 2021, 07:08
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E-V7SmfXEAEvWxl?format=jpg&name=large
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E-V7SmhWUAYgTzU?format=jpg&name=medium

EstWRC
3rd September 2021, 07:11
good chance for Kaur to show himself against Suninen, Solberg, Gryazin, Huttunen

mknight
3rd September 2021, 07:59
good chance for Kaur to show himself against Suninen, Solberg, Gryazin, Huttunen

Well 3 of those he already met in Estonia this year and was a lot slower than the year before.
Have you heard any comments/explanation why?

TypeR
3rd September 2021, 09:13
Well 3 of those he already met in Estonia this year and was a lot slower than the year before.
Have you heard any comments/explanation why?
Probably took easier because of fkd up Portugal and Sardegna..

Danny0405
3rd September 2021, 09:18
One point in strange for me in the entry list: Gryazin is registered as WRC2 but it would be his 7th rally in the category (5 currently + Greece before Finland) and especially his 7th in Europe (and registered by Movisport team) whereas the rule is theoritically 6 + 1 outside Europe.
Maybe the rule was changed with Chile cancellation?

mknight
3rd September 2021, 10:26
One point in strange for me in the entry list: Gryazin is registered as WRC2 but it would be his 7th rally in the category (5 currently + Greece before Finland) and especially his 7th in Europe (and registered by Movisport team) whereas the rule is theoritically 6 + 1 outside Europe.

The way I am reading the rules the "outside of Europe" applies only if the team wants to win WRC2 team standings, but not to drivers championship. (Østberg already announced he will drive Greece, Finland and Spain and not Japan, so he won't have any start outside of Europe and he is listed as D/C - Drivers Championship entry).

And it also means the "team" needs to start in the rallies. Movisport is so far registered as started in 4 rallies.

EstWRC
3rd September 2021, 11:06
stage vids up on youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzAAk7FOZZK8aXo53flddAg/videos

Kenneth
3rd September 2021, 11:43

They can start in as many rounds as they want, but can can entry for points only in 7. At this round, only Östberg and Linnamane are signed for points (D/C means points both for driver and competitor).

Danny0405
3rd September 2021, 12:27
They can start in as many rounds as they want, but can can entry for points only in 7. At this round, only Östberg and Linnamane are signed for points (D/C means points both for driver and competitor).

Ok thank you for the explanation. So basically Ostberg could win very easily WRC-2 in Finland whereas there should be a lot of competition.

RC2 is clearly an absolute mess in WRC. The intention of separating WRC-2 (Pro) and WRC-3 was not a bad idea because Skoda factory team was clearly a competitive advantage for its driver but since Skoda has withdrawn officially, I’m not sure it is always needed.

Personnally, I think they should come back to something close to before 2018:
- all RC2 cars in WRC-2 championship.
Each RC2 manufacturer (Skoda, Hyundai, M-Sport, Citroen, VW) can register one team for a team championship (could also be a private team such as Toksport today)
The best driver in the championship not entered by a manufacturer would win a special title (WRC-2 Amateur or whatever the name)

- all RC3/RC4 cars in WRC-3 championship (seven rounds maximum with the best of 6 counting, 1 maximum outside Europe to avoid Michel Fabre’s strategy) and the best young driver (let say 27 or 28 years old) in the championship would win the Junior Championship.

Would be clearer in my opinion: only one main championship per class + a support championship title for the best ranked drivers among certain conditions.

mknight
3rd September 2021, 14:00
Ok thank you for the explanation. So basically Ostberg could win very easily WRC-2 in Finland whereas there should be a lot of competition.

No D/C means he is only scoring for drivers championship.

Tom K
3rd September 2021, 14:01

No, D/C means driver/co-driver only. "T" means it's only for team. Without any addition means driver/co-driver + team.

Fredouye
3rd September 2021, 14:53

6.4.3 (from 2021 WRC sporting regulations) says this :

«*The WRC 2 champion titles for drivers and co-drivers will be awarded to the driver and co-driver who have scored the highest number of points from 6 of the 7 rallies in which they were entered by a team registered in the WRC 2 championship and nominated to score points.*»

Danny0405
3rd September 2021, 15:13
No D/C means he is only scoring for drivers championship.

Ok so Hyundai, M-Sport and Movisport will score team points and drivers points on this event.
Logical for Ostberg because TRT is not in the team championship (the same for the Estonian with ALM).
Some elements strange for me as M-Sport and individually Gryazin (including Greece) seems to have already use their 6 European rallies before Finland.

But not that much important as M-Sport is not really anymore in the game for the manufacturer championship and the same for Gryazin for the driver championship

AnttiL
4th September 2021, 10:01
SS6 Oittila has a new small road loop replacing the fastest bit of the stage. Will be tricky in the dark…

pantealex
6th September 2021, 16:32
RC2 is clearly an absolute mess in WRC. The intention of separating WRC-2 (Pro) and WRC-3 was not a bad idea because Skoda factory team was clearly a competitive advantage for its driver but since Skoda has withdrawn officially, I’m not sure it is always needed.

Personnally, I think they should come back to something close to before 2018:
- all RC2 cars in WRC-2 championship.
Each RC2 manufacturer (Skoda, Hyundai, M-Sport, Citroen, VW) can register one team for a team championship (could also be a private team such as Toksport today)
The best driver in the championship not entered by a manufacturer would win a special title (WRC-2 Amateur or whatever the name)

- all RC3/RC4 cars in WRC-3 championship (seven rounds maximum with the best of 6 counting, 1 maximum outside Europe to avoid Michel Fabre’s strategy) and the best young driver (let say 27 or 28 years old) in the championship would win the Junior Championship.

Would be clearer in my opinion: only one main championship per class + a support championship title for the best ranked drivers among certain conditions.

So you are not familiar of next years (2022) rules
-WRC2 is for Rally2/R5 cars (inside that own trophy for young drivers)
-WRC3 is for Rally3 cars (only Fiesta is available, others brands will come later)

Danny0405
7th September 2021, 09:26
So you are not familiar of next years (2022) rules
-WRC2 is for Rally2/R5 cars (inside that own trophy for young drivers)
-WRC3 is for Rally3 cars (only Fiesta is available, others brands will come later)

Thank you for the explanation, I did not know about the new rules. I read also a little bit about it (especially how the young drivers championship works), quite an interesting move by the FIA this time.
The only thing that let me doubtful is about Rally4 with no championship anymore (and I’m not convinced Rally3 will be successful). But, On the other hand, it seems to be included in a larger strategy with ERC: after the national level, very young drivers would begin in Rally4 in ERC and then coming in WRC with Rally2 or Rally3.
But I think Rally3 will disappear quite early because young drivers already made the move R2 to R5 directly. It creates some sort of hierarchy in the young drivers championships

linni
8th September 2021, 16:35
Any information about rally passes?
Few weeks to go, but there are still only the "collectors edition" ones available.
Or could it be that these will remain the only ones?

And who is going to sell the passes besides the official online shop?

pantealex
9th September 2021, 04:27
Any information about rally passes?
Few weeks to go, but there are still only the "collectors edition" ones available.
Or could it be that these will remain the only ones?

And who is going to sell the passes besides the official online shop?

They are saying that there will be special APP for tickets, price of "normal" pass unknown
(In past most of passes were sold in rally week)

Rallyper
9th September 2021, 08:23
Regarding Pickems Rally Greece, (closing at 1700 CEST today) note that Katsuta (edited) and Suninen withdraw from entrylist. Change in your current quote.

linni
9th September 2021, 11:24
They are saying that there will be special APP for tickets, price of "normal" pass unknown
(In past most of passes were sold in rally week)

The price is irrelevant at the moment, main problem is if we have to buy them online or do some petrol stations like Neste in the past will sell as well.

Hartusvuori
9th September 2021, 13:20
Quote from Rally Finland FB:

The long awaited decision from Regional State Administrative Agency has now arrived. Spectator restrictions on Secto Automotive Rally Finland’s area have been discontinued and we can have you all spectators with us during the event! Unfortunately the service park area is not open for spectators [Finnish text detailed that this is to keep the teams and competitors safe].

We continue to make a safe rally for all our attendees so please keep safe and remember to take care of yourselves.

Regional State Administrative Agency’s statement here (in Finnish): https://avi.fi/tiedote/-/tiedote/69918114

This joyful announcement means that we can have more Rally Passes, Rookie Passes and individual stage tickets on sale soon. Stay tuned for information about where to buy your Rally Passes! [Finnish text defined "soon" as next week]

We are also starting to send out the Collectors Edition Rally Passes next week.

pantealex
15th September 2021, 04:49
https://storage.googleapis.com/download/storage/v1/b/sportity-storage/o/d33813c7-fdca-455e-95fe-d37cee75dd16%2F805bbe0f-a4f7-4ba5-8321-7b7ce5fe678c_RallyFinland_bulletin_2_final_2021091 4.pdf?generation=1631617004317154&alt=media
Bulletin2, basically nothing for spectators.

Ticket info will come today.
-ticket types
-places to buy

They are now sending those Collectors Passes.

EstWRC
15th September 2021, 08:10
Rally Pass, Biker's Pass and Rookie Pass sales locations have now been confirmed. These passes will be on sale on Monday September 20th.

Prices are:
Rally Pass 85€
Biker's Pass 90€ (incl. parking sticker for motor bike)
Rookie Pass 55€ (for 12-17 year old fans)

Payment by either cash or card.

Check out the locations from below and secure your place among Secto Automotive Rally Finland rally fans!
https://rallyfinland.fi/en/sales-locations/?fbclid=IwAR0jGdxW3u-cQCmB_O-FoYQ5TfCzNOS7b3ZCTAN_NMQwoBRc_gTBESMf1lk

https://rallyfinland.fi/en/tickets/

sindroms
15th September 2021, 09:16
Rally Pass, Biker's Pass and Rookie Pass sales locations have now been confirmed. These passes will be on sale on Monday September 20th.

Prices are:
Rally Pass 85€
Biker's Pass 90€ (incl. parking sticker for motor bike)
Rookie Pass 55€ (for 12-17 year old fans)

Payment by either cash or card.

Check out the locations from below and secure your place among Secto Automotive Rally Finland rally fans!
https://rallyfinland.fi/en/sales-locations/?fbclid=IwAR0jGdxW3u-cQCmB_O-FoYQ5TfCzNOS7b3ZCTAN_NMQwoBRc_gTBESMf1lk

https://rallyfinland.fi/en/tickets/

Ok. The final piece of puzzle has clikcked in now. It would be the proper event for me to say goodbye to this generation WRC cars.

AnttiL
15th September 2021, 10:05
https://itgetsfasternow.com/2021/09/15/route-preview-rally-finland-2021/

Route preview, you're welcome. Only a fourth of the route is familiar from 2019, while a third is completely new or used only before the era of current drivers.

AnttiL
16th September 2021, 16:28
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0h8FGn6ccM&ab_channel=RallyFinland

A promotional short film. Like Tommi mäkinen would say, absolutely incredible!

wwbroe
17th September 2021, 06:24

Great video, it doesn't get any better than this;)

Ucci
17th September 2021, 07:42
Great video, it doesn't get any better than this;)
Awesome….

bearclaw
17th September 2021, 08:12
So finally we decided that we will go to Rally Finland. I have seen that there are some accommodations available around Jyväskylä – maybe less people expected than normally? We will buy our rally passes on the way towards Jyväskylä.

On Friday, I’m not sure it is clever to try to go from Ässämäki 2 after the WRC cars to catch the finish of Oittila?

Saturday, 4 stages should be ok and Sunday the classic Ruuhimäki rollercoaster.

What are your plans for the weekend…

spyros
17th September 2021, 11:00
great video,all these guys together...................

sebas
17th September 2021, 13:01
Hi everyone!

I'm an exchange student and I'm currently in Turku, I was wondering if someone from this city is going to Jyväskylä the weekend of the rally. I was searching bus/train connections but I don't think the schedules will match as good as I want. So please if you know someone who's going from Turku let me know, I will obviously pay my % of petrol so it gets cheaper for both.

Rallyper
17th September 2021, 13:53

Great promotion for Rally Finland.

However I think I heard some wrong info there... Mr Simo Lampinen said Timo Makinen won Ouninpohja stage while driving with the open bonnet on his BMC Cooper S.

Another well known Lampinen has told me it was Swede Bengt Söderström who won the stage in his Cortina Lotus that year (1967?).

EstWRC
17th September 2021, 14:06
I thought it will be Ott instead of Kalle in the end :laugh:

AnttiL
17th September 2021, 14:14
Great promotion for Rally Finland.

However I think I heard some wrong info there... Mr Simo Lampinen said Timo Makinen won Ouninpohja stage while driving with the open bonnet on his BMC Cooper S.

Another well known Lampinen has told me it was Swede Bengt Söderström who won the stage in his Cortina Lotus that year (1967?).

Lampinen meant he won the whole rally. Subtitles were incorrect.

EstWRC
17th September 2021, 18:01
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E_gVA0vXsAIZEim?format=jpg&name=large

AnttiL
18th September 2021, 07:43
So finally we decided that we will go to Rally Finland. I have seen that there are some accommodations available around Jyväskylä – maybe less people expected than normally? We will buy our rally passes on the way towards Jyväskylä.

On Friday, I’m not sure it is clever to try to go from Ässämäki 2 after the WRC cars to catch the finish of Oittila?

Saturday, 4 stages should be ok and Sunday the classic Ruuhimäki rollercoaster.

What are your plans for the weekend…

I’d advice to just watch Ässämäki 1 or Sahloinen-Moksi 1 and take your time to get a good spot for Oittila. It will be near impossible from Ässämäki 2, and at most you’d be spectating a junction at the access road.

Danny0405
18th September 2021, 14:49
Interesting to see what Lappi will do in Finland.
I think it will not be possible for the win with so much time out of a RC1 car (+ he will not have his last year’s car) all the more with Rovanpera and Tanak being 4th and 5th on the road.
+ a very far road position may not be a huge advantage this year with the rally later in the season (darkness, weather).
A podium position might be reachable if he adapts quickly and would probably secure him a seat for next year (whatever is the team).

A comparison with Katsuta would have been interesting but as the Japanese has been unlucky recently, I think he will be quite conservative to finish this time even if it is his last opportunity to achieve a good result this season (he seems too far in asphalt rallies).

meh
18th September 2021, 15:18
I don't think no one can keep pace with Rovanperä this year. Maybe Tänak, but IF and only IF he can find some sweetspot with settings - he is fast for sure, but his confidence is nowhere near Toyota days.

If Lappi can beat Ogier and Evans, it's more than "good job" already. And it also may give 2nd place.

denkimi
19th September 2021, 01:09
If conditions are equal i suppose a lot of drivers can keep pace with rovanpera.

Ogier, evans, neuville and tanak should be at least equally fast when they need to.

The thing which separates the champions from the would be's is knowing when not to push. And then ogier is still king.

Rallyper
19th September 2021, 11:02
Finland is a fast rally. Will make difference. Rovanperä will be up there among 3-4 other guys.

AnttiL
19th September 2021, 11:51
In the past Hyundai has not worked will in Finland, but maybe they've gotten closer with good pace in Estonia both years (and maybe promises of pace in Finland 2019). In that sense, I would say Tänak will be the fastest one, with Kalle the next one. Then behind them Breen and Lappi, with Evans, Ogier and Neuville a bit behind them. The only question is if Tänak will get to the finish without problems.

mknight
19th September 2021, 12:15
0 podiums in 6 starts is indeed telling.
However in 2017 Paddon certainly had podium speed and they have 2x 4th with Paddon in 2018 and Mikkelsen in 2019, both times they would have podium if Citroen wasn't there.
So purely based on Citroen not being present they should get podium this year.

There was some talk about the car not being suited for negative camber of Finnish roads. But the narrower roads used last years maybe doesn't have so negative effect.

Anyway the big question is the weather. if it rains properly anything can happen.

AnttiL
19th September 2021, 12:24
0 podiums in 6 starts is indeed telling.
However in 2017 Paddon certainly had podium speed and they have 2x 4th with Paddon in 2018 and Mikkelsen in 2019, both times they would have podium if Citroen wasn't there.
So purely based on Citroen not being present they should get podium this year.

And M-Sport very likely not being on the podium either. Yes, I'm quite sure either Tänak or Breen will be on the podium.

diegoalju
20th September 2021, 09:59

Hi! Does anybody know why Kankkunen and Makinen don´t show up? (At least, Tommi is in the credits...)

thanks

baffo
20th September 2021, 14:55
Hi guys. Anybody knows if the spectator guide on-line is available and how to get it? (in the official site link to ksml for guide but i can't find anything about it)

Thanks

pantealex
20th September 2021, 16:53
Hi guys. Anybody knows if the spectator guide on-line is available and how to get it? (in the official site link to ksml for guide but i can't find anything about it)

Thanks

Spectators guide is not released/ready yet. One reason is that entry for support event "Vetomies" closes midnight (4h from now), so they probably want that entrylist included.

pantealex
20th September 2021, 16:55
Hi! Does anybody know why Kankkunen and Makinen don´t show up? (At least, Tommi is in the credits...)

thanks

One rumour is saying that they were NOT in Finland at that moment.

Hartusvuori
20th September 2021, 17:37
...NOT in Finland...

My eyes caught that first and for a brief moment I was like hey welcome!

AnttiL
22nd September 2021, 05:33
https://nakoislehti.media.fi/keskisuomalainen/f457fae4-9372-428b-a3eb-ea781c0c76b7/1

Official spectator guide for free.

AnttiL
22nd September 2021, 06:00
This morning Ruuhimäki looked freezing

https://twitter.com/KariNuutinen/status/1440543535971725315

Franky
22nd September 2021, 06:16
Wonder how the turnout will be considering the cold autumn.

meh
22nd September 2021, 06:34
Wonder how the turnout will be considering the cold autumn.

For spectators, most likely more Jägermeister with ralli-makkara

mknight
22nd September 2021, 06:43
With below zero or close to below zero during the nights I guess the surface will get much harder?
And related to that there will also be much less cleaning, maybe only noticable for 2-3 first cars and no ruts for second pass?

Hartusvuori
22nd September 2021, 06:48
With below zero or close to below zero during the nights I guess the surface will get much harder?
And related to that there will also be much less cleaning, maybe only noticable for 2-3 first cars and no ruts for second pass?

Rather the opposite. It doesn't get frozen, but it stays wet.

AnttiL
22nd September 2021, 07:00
The cleaning effect / loose gravel slipperiness will likely be reduced by the dampness. However, road damage on second passes could be worse, but then again there's only 43 cars starting (and the Vetomies class doing one pass on Saturday).

EDIT: changed class name to "Vetomies"

Hartusvuori
22nd September 2021, 08:02
Vetomies is not a historic rally event, but a national rally event.

AnttiL
22nd September 2021, 08:04
Vetomies is not a historic rally event, but a national rally event.

Well, I said "national historic" ;) But they are using cars whose homologation have been expired, so it's like semi-historic. Some Imprezas and Lancers, but also C2's, Type-R's and BMW's as well as Astras, Starlets and Escorts.

Hartusvuori
22nd September 2021, 08:14
Well, I said "national historic" ;) But they are using cars whose homologation have been expired, so it's like semi-historic. Some Imprezas and Lancers, but also C2's, Type-R's and BMW's as well as Astras, Starlets and Escorts.

Historic rallying is more than just "old cars". From spectators point of view - and also from the road damage and racing lines point of view - it's completely different.

navi
22nd September 2021, 10:33
https://nakoislehti.media.fi/keskisuomalainen/f457fae4-9372-428b-a3eb-ea781c0c76b7/1

Official spectator guide for free.
That looks awesome. Any chance there is an English version?

Hartusvuori
22nd September 2021, 10:50
That looks awesome. Any chance there is an English version?

This is it. Short sections in English too.

Rallyper
22nd September 2021, 13:57
These "one way" signs, are they on exact places where cars can´t go further on the maps? Looks like they are placed randomly between big road and stage...

Jewy46
22nd September 2021, 14:53
Hi guys. Have any of ye received your rally passes yet?
Still no sign of ours

AnttiL
22nd September 2021, 14:55
These "one way" signs, are they on exact places where cars can´t go further on the maps? Looks like they are placed randomly between big road and stage...

I think there’s an indication to how far the road is closed from the stage

Rallyper
22nd September 2021, 16:54
I think there’s an indication to how far the road is closed from the stage

That´s quite bad in many places. Why let cars go halfway and not at least 100 m from stage, when they already is on that accessroad?

AnttiL
22nd September 2021, 17:01
That´s quite bad in many places. Why let cars go halfway and not at least 100 m from stage, when they already is on that accessroad?

Safety reasons, too narrow/soft part of road, no permission from land owner, …?

Rallyper
22nd September 2021, 17:56
Safety reasons, too narrow/soft part of road, no permission from land owner, …?

There are same thing with many places big wide road.

navi
22nd September 2021, 19:00
This is it. Short sections in English too.

Yeh saw that. Just wanted to read the articles.

AnttiL
23rd September 2021, 08:09
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPWDiqzS55E

One hour of footage analysing the Sahloinen-Moksi stage for road types and spectating points. Amazing stuff, likely he will make this from all stages.

Rallyper
23rd September 2021, 08:57
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPWDiqzS55E

One hour of footage analysing the Sahloinen-Moksi stage for road types and spectating points. Amazing stuff, likely he will make this from all stages.

That was marvelous! Just amazing!

spyros
23rd September 2021, 11:35
Anyone know what the weather will be like?

AnttiL
23rd September 2021, 11:48
5-10 degrees. Possibly some rain on Saturday. It will also rain a lot this weekend.

Hartusvuori
23rd September 2021, 12:39

Considering what to pack with you, it's good to recognize that mornings and late evenings can be a lot colder than midday. If it's open skies, it can be close to zero early in the morning, then going up to 10 degrees or more during the day and again down in the evenings.

pantealex
23rd September 2021, 15:48

Thursday-Wednesday night it went down to -6 in Jyväskylä but like boys said 5-10 in day light time and if sun shines it feels lot warmer.

AnttiL
24th September 2021, 07:21
Ässämäki analysis video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJnjFrkJv7I

AnttiL
24th September 2021, 07:39
Weather stuff:

Petäjävesi is close to SS2-SS5. Currently predicting slight rain for Friday evening

https://www.foreca.fi/Finland/Petajavesi/details/20211001

SS6 Oittila. Currently predicting cloudy, no rain

https://www.foreca.fi/Finland/Jyvaskyla/Oittila/details/20211001

Jämsä is close to SS7+11 and SS9+13. Currently predicting morning and evening rain

https://www.foreca.fi/Finland/Jamsa/details/20211002

SS8+12 Päijälä. Currently predicting rain all day

https://www.foreca.fi/Finland/Kuhmoinen/Paijala/details/20211002

SS10+14 Patajoki. Currently predicting rain all day

https://www.foreca.fi/Finland/Jamsa/Patajoki/details/20211002

Laukaa is close to all Sunday stages. Currently predicting rain all day

https://www.foreca.fi/Finland/Laukaa/details/20211003

AnttiL
24th September 2021, 08:31
https://toyotagazooracing.com/wrc/release/2021/rd10-preview/
https://motorsport.hyundai.com/focus-on-finland/

EstWRC
24th September 2021, 09:06
it was a really hard decision but the first time in 6 years we arent going to the rally this year.

the late announcement about the spectators made the holiday planning difficult for our camp and also financially it would take a lot. Previous years you knew the things in advance so you could split the money and do the planning very early.

Such a shame cause i really wanted to say goobye to this gen. cars on this fast rally but Estonia isnt a bad place also to say goodbye. Thinking now back im really happy i went to Rally Estonia which i didnt plan in the beginning.

so this time ill be at home and with WRC plus.

AnttiL
24th September 2021, 09:08
The event date change was also bad for me personally. My wife is expecting our second kid to be born just some days after the event, so I don't want to be far if that starts happening. Likely I'm skipping the whole event, at best I'm looking forward to visiting Päijälä which is only an hour away from my home.

mknight
25th September 2021, 09:29
So Lappi was testing with "old" car without the 2021 front aero last week and tests again today with current car.

Change of plans or was one of the tests just extra?
Will he drive the old car or new?

satukata
26th September 2021, 18:50
So Lappi was testing with "old" car without the 2021 front aero last week and tests again today with current car.

Change of plans or was one of the tests just extra?
Will he drive the old car or new?

I was present in the last test.
It was stated there that the EP will get a car with the latest parts for the Jyväskylä race

Rallyper
27th September 2021, 07:21
So friends in Finland, what´s the forecast for Keski-Suomi area this week from Finnish weather experts?

AnttiL
27th September 2021, 07:21
So friends in Finland, what´s the forecast for Keski-Suomi area this week from Finnish weather experts?

Now it seems no rain during the rally, still 5-10 C

rp
27th September 2021, 09:18
Now it seems no rain during the rally, still 5-10 C

It´s looking good! Yesterday it was predicted that it´s raining during the weekend...

EstWRC
29th September 2021, 10:16
“We will definitely push hard and push like hell,” Tänak told DirtFish. “Definitely we are not the favorites this time – we know where we are and where we are from. [The] Toyotas will be big favorites and hard to beat, but we will do everything from our side that even if they win, they will not get it too easy. We will try to make their life hard.”

https://dirtfish.com/rally/wrc/tanak-not-giving-up-on-2021-wrc-season/

Rallyper
29th September 2021, 11:01
Don´t forget Pickems, friends!

I´m leaving for Rally Finland in a few hours. If I´m not capable of locking the Pickems thread in time, remember it´s deadline Friday 1200 hrs CEST. Stage Harju starts 1330 local time (1230 CEST).

jiipee64
29th September 2021, 11:52
This one is quite reliable for our weather...

https://www.foreca.fi/Finland/Jyvaskyla

AnttiL
29th September 2021, 12:04
Friday stages

https://www.foreca.fi/Finland/Petajavesi/details/20211001
https://www.foreca.fi/Finland/Jyvaskyla/Oittila/details/20211001

Saturday stages

https://www.foreca.fi/Finland/Jamsa/details/20211002
https://www.foreca.fi/Finland/Kuhmoinen/Paijala/details/20211002

Sunday stages

https://www.foreca.fi/Finland/Laukaa/details/20211003

Right now it seems pretty dry, only some rain maybe on Friday afternoon

EstWRC
29th September 2021, 18:14
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FAeBv7xXMAYvLG2?format=jpg&name=large
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FAeBv7wXsAoutSD?format=jpg&name=large
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FAdzneZWYAIXa6l?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

meh
30th September 2021, 06:19
All this waiting and build-up for the rally is huge. And same here, waiting this rally like some little boy waiting for Christmas. I hope it delivers :)

EstWRC
30th September 2021, 06:36
same here + its the last gravel rally for this gen.cars :(

AnttiL
30th September 2021, 06:52
I'm super excited to see the rally, even if it was just any rally this season, the competition, the onboards of the new stages, the rally in these conditions...

EstWRC
30th September 2021, 09:44
recce accident for Solberg https://twitter.com/HartusvuoriWRC/status/1443510186623262723?s=20

TypeR
30th September 2021, 09:58
would think such thing can happen in Argentina, Kenya etc.. (not in rally Finland) that random big vans go on stages while recce..(yes, I know recce is on public roads yadayada..)

Hopefully won't affect his rally too much..

Rally Hokkaido
30th September 2021, 10:07
recce accident for Solberg https://twitter.com/HartusvuoriWRC/status/1443510186623262723?s=20

Apparently Craig Drew went to hospital for a check-up.

mknight
30th September 2021, 10:11
When you thought you have seen just about anything...
Anyway, wishing them it turns out fine.

AnttiL
30th September 2021, 11:09
would think such thing can happen in Argentina, Kenya etc.. (not in rally Finland) that random big vans go on stages while recce..(yes, I know recce is on public roads yadayada..)

Hopefully won't affect his rally too much..

Actually the Safari Rally stages were on completely closed roads so such accident wouldn't have been even possible. I would guess Finland is the gravel rally with most daily usage on the roads, people living or having their jobs along the roads. We can only assume the truck was delivering or picking up something, which makes it completely reasonable to be driving the road.

EstWRC
30th September 2021, 11:36
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FAhzlZ2XEAcbiDt?format=jpg&name=medium

rallyfiend
30th September 2021, 11:58
Actually the Safari Rally stages were on completely closed roads so such accident wouldn't have been even possible. I would guess Finland is the gravel rally with most daily usage on the roads, people living or having their jobs along the roads. We can only assume the truck was delivering or picking up something, which makes it completely reasonable to be driving the road.

It's almost impossible to get that sort of damage on that side of the recce car if you're driving correctly, or have i seen this wrong?

mknight
30th September 2021, 12:27
Well what you can see from the picture is that one (both?) of them weren't driving on the right side of the road.

Which one of them did it is just a speculation.

TypeR
30th September 2021, 15:29
Tänak got 5000 eur fine for speeding, 101kmh in 40 zone...
not nice, 5k for such speeding is like a gift..

Car no. 8 was driven at excessive speed on a public road on the evening of
Wednesday, 29 September 2021. The FIA Safety Tracking device recorded a
maximum speed of 101 km/h in a zone where the speed limit is 40 km/h.

https://storage.googleapis.com/download/storage/v1/b/sportity-storage/o/d33813c7-fdca-455e-95fe-d37cee75dd16%2F00e89d96-2b79-4c9b-a637-ba50d898e86a_Stewards%20Decision%20No.%201.pdf?gen eration=1633015015386922&alt=media

mknight
30th September 2021, 15:53
Was this in connection with some test or why they were driving around in the racecar?

Anyway he is extremely lucky to only get a fine like this.The Finnish police specifically warned about speeding outside of stages beforehand.

The Finnish guys might add what fee he would get if he was stopped by police themselves. I believe at some point the fees in Finland were based on salary.

meh
30th September 2021, 16:03
Was this in connection with some test or why they were driving around in the racecar?

Anyway he is extremely lucky to only get a fine like this.The Finnish police specifically warned about speeding outside of stages beforehand.

The Finnish guys might add what fee he would get if he was stopped by police themselves. I believe at some point the fees in Finland were based on salary.

it is again the same situation like Neuville in Estonia - speed was not measured by local police, but based on my understanding, was detected by GPS tracking. Based on that local police will not write fines, put to jail etc.

AnttiL
30th September 2021, 16:19
Tänak was supposedly setting up the light pods. It was reported that none of the Hyundai drivers tested in the dark during PET, while all Toyota drivers did so.

sindroms
30th September 2021, 16:43
It's almost impossible to get that sort of damage on that side of the recce car if you're driving correctly, or have i seen this wrong?

On our way driving through SS3/5 we caught that place. The truck was still there. It was clearly wisible from truck damages, damaged tree and traces on the road that truck took the completely wrong line. Right line for rally driver if SS were on oposite direction but completely wrong for usual daily driving. And the truck had Lithuanian number plates (just a fact).

EstWRC
30th September 2021, 16:43
Tänak got 5000 eur fine for speeding, 101kmh in 40 zone...
not nice, 5k for such speeding is like a gift..

Car no. 8 was driven at excessive speed on a public road on the evening of
Wednesday, 29 September 2021. The FIA Safety Tracking device recorded a
maximum speed of 101 km/h in a zone where the speed limit is 40 km/h.

https://storage.googleapis.com/download/storage/v1/b/sportity-storage/o/d33813c7-fdca-455e-95fe-d37cee75dd16%2F00e89d96-2b79-4c9b-a637-ba50d898e86a_Stewards%20Decision%20No.%201.pdf?gen eration=1633015015386922&alt=media

“We will definitely push hard and push like hell,” Tänak told DirtFish. “Definitely we are not the favorites this time – we know where we are and where we are from. [The] Toyotas will be big favorites and hard to beat, but we will do everything from our side that even if they win, they will not get it too easy. We will try to make their life hard.”

https://dirtfish.com/rally/wrc/tanak-not-giving-up-on-2021-wrc-season/

he really meant it...

mknight
30th September 2021, 17:08
If there's something to laugh at then it's the fact that while Toyota used test days on a closed road to set up light pods (among other things) the professionals at Hyundai used an open public road and drove crazy high over the speed limit.
If there actually was police it might have ended with him not entering the rally.
Don't think you'd laugh then.

EstWRC
30th September 2021, 17:11
https://twitter.com/se_rally/status/1443616261037039623?s=20

meh
30th September 2021, 17:34
he really meant it...

not nice story behind that, but nice spin out if it :)

Fast Eddie WRC
30th September 2021, 17:35
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FAhzlZ2XEAcbiDt?format=jpg&name=medium

Tanak won 4 events in this Yaris WRC during his 2019 Championship season...

https://www.ewrc-results.com/carinfo/68-toyota-yaris-wrc/?car=3656&s=2019#start

TypeR
1st October 2021, 05:28
Beautiful smooth road on SD! Kalle and Ott flying the cars pretty far.. Tänak had a small moment also, big slide and a little left rear clip to the side of the road..

EstWRC
1st October 2021, 05:37
seemed quite slippery IMO, they all were skating around a lot and yeah Tänak and Evans with big sideways moments

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FAlythRXEAIgvQg?format=jpg&name=900x900

Rally Hokkaido
1st October 2021, 06:20
For those who haven't checked Shakedown times; Seb is fastest after third runs, 0.2 sec up on Thierry who is 0.1 sec faster than Ott and Kalle. All quite close! (N.B. Ott has only done two runs)
Edit: And now Craig joins the four with the same time as Thierry!

doubled1978
1st October 2021, 06:28
Roads look really nice in the autumn…

Rally Hokkaido
1st October 2021, 06:31
Looks like Gus Greensmith had an issue on his third run = very slow time.

EstWRC
1st October 2021, 06:43
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FAmDeKjXMAgE-zi?format=jpg&name=900x900

EstWRC
1st October 2021, 06:53
weird, i see it nicely

AnttiL
1st October 2021, 06:55
Nevermind, I can now see it as well

EstWRC
1st October 2021, 06:59
Nevermind, I can now see it as well

i edited with twitter pic

AnttiL
1st October 2021, 07:21
https://twitter.com/AustruyQuentin/status/1443825021735084033?s=20

Leon
1st October 2021, 09:20
Just a question please. Is Jani Paasonen the one who used to drive for Mitsu and Skoda Wrc?

AnttiL
1st October 2021, 09:23
Just a question please. Is Jani Paasonen the one who used to drive for Mitsu and Skoda Wrc?

Yes. For quite a few years he's driven the 0 car in Rally Finland.

Leon
1st October 2021, 09:39
Thanks.

Fast Eddie WRC
1st October 2021, 10:19
No pre-event tests for the M-Sport's is reflected in their SD times.

jonkka
1st October 2021, 10:24

And Suninen in lower category car is almost as fast. I am hoping that on actual stages he'll be faster.

Rally Hokkaido
1st October 2021, 10:31

Which means, of course, that Adrien Fourmaux and Alexandre Coria had not run a stage together until Shakedown, today!

TypeR
And Suninen in lower category car is almost as fast. I am hoping that on actual stages he'll be faster.

quite impossible in Finland..

EstWRC
https://twitter.com/torandreborrese/status/1443881642448326657?s=21

jonkka
1st October 2021, 10:32
quite impossible in Finland..

Against Greensmith? Hmmm... I wouldn't be so sure... :evil grin:

Thousandlakes
1st October 2021, 10:36
https://twitter.com/torandreborrese/status/1443881642448326657?s=21

FLATOUT. Crazy as hell.

mknight
1st October 2021, 10:44
Well looking at that and also hearing about all the (other) moments. I have to wonder:
- how many will survive first day, historically I think most retirements in Finland are on first day
- how many will actually push like this on longer stages

Rally Hokkaido
1st October 2021, 10:51
Neville's Hyundai was really pitching and bucking on the asphalt part of the stage, reminded me of a GpB Audi. A full tank of fuel likely contributed to its behaviour. Anyway, fastest so far.

Fast Eddie WRC
1st October 2021, 11:01
Harju is a strange 'spectator stage' with no fans on 75% of it !

Humber
Are the crews taking two spare tires in the first leg, because of no service during leg 2?

AnttiL

All true rally fans are in the forest stages, and normal people are still at work

AnttiL
1st October 2021, 11:02
Are the crews taking two spare tires in the first leg, because of no service during leg 2?

They have a tire zone after SS3

TypeR
1st October 2021, 11:02

People are on proper stages already.. usually Harju is on Thursday evening..

240RS
1st October 2021, 11:04
Nice to see Katsuta topping the stage even if it's "just" a super special :) . . . Aaron will love that :D

Fast Eddie WRC
1st October 2021, 11:10
People are on proper stages already.. usually Harju is on Thursday evening..

Its always like this, its how the stage is set-up.

wwbroe
1st October 2021, 11:11
Gryazin really wide on first hairpin;)

Fast Eddie WRC
1st October 2021, 11:11
Those fans crossing in front of Mads !

AnttiL
1st October 2021, 11:15
Its always like this, its how the stage is set-up.

Most of the people are just not visible to the camera

er88
1st October 2021, 11:17
Breen feels like his car was down on power/ had issues. Hopefully not the case

Fast Eddie WRC
1st October 2021, 11:20
Suninen is in the same Polo that Lappi has impressed in.

EstWRC
1st October 2021, 11:20
two places where Breen has moments and people standing near there .... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-K3kTvjQGw

Tauri_J
1st October 2021, 11:44
two places where Breen has moments and people standing near there .... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-K3kTvjQGw

I was scared and I wasnt there

AnttiL
1st October 2021, 11:49
Evans with great pace

wwbroe
1st October 2021, 11:56
Tanak flying pace

jonkka
1st October 2021, 11:58
Katsuta got lucky with that spin...

EstWRC
1st October 2021, 12:01
Breen also quite hairy in that place

Rally Hokkaido
1st October 2021, 12:01
Woohoo! I think Taka learnt how to spin a car in its own footprint back in his Formula 3 racing days.

Fast Eddie WRC
1st October 2021, 12:03
Yes Craig awesome pace !

240RS
1st October 2021, 12:06
The Hyundais have clearly come a long way since 2019. Craig's and Tanak's pace is quite something

Fast Eddie WRC
1st October 2021, 12:10
So impressive by Lappi, good speed straight away !

dimviii
1st October 2021, 12:11

worst than Monte.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FAnJkGmXsAU6CcG?format=jpg&name=small

dimviii
1st October 2021, 12:17
https://twitter.com/Toivoral/status/1443826436897398786

Fast Eddie WRC
1st October 2021, 12:17
Suninen flying.

dimviii
1st October 2021, 12:19
Makinen

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FAmq-pyX0AEC62A?format=jpg&name=large

dimviii
1st October 2021, 12:30
close call for Linnamae

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FAnQiuQWUAEnuj4?format=jpg&name=medium

Fast Eddie WRC
1st October 2021, 12:39
Nice stage-side cameras for a non-tv stage.

AnttiL
1st October 2021, 12:42
Nice stage-side cameras for a non-tv stage.

The fastest section of the whole rally. I walked through that section in 2019 to the small road loop thinking how awesome it would be to spectate up on the hill...

Tauri_J
1st October 2021, 12:49
Now this is some Tänakattack

EstWRC
1st October 2021, 12:51
weordly Hyundais giving time back with the last couple of kms, Neuville gave a second and Ott too, compared to Toyotas

EstWRC
1st October 2021, 12:52
Ott saying they can even improve

TypeR
1st October 2021, 12:58
Wtf.. AMAZING wrc+..

Don't even show all the wrcs, because plane has to go refueling.. fk

Fast Eddie WRC
1st October 2021, 12:59
Road position is helping a bit but the Hyundai's of Tanak and Breen are definitely improved over past years here (so far).

Tauri_J
1st October 2021, 13:01
Who forgot to fuel the plane smh

EstWRC
1st October 2021, 13:03
Lappi not moving on my map, i hope its just a glitch

wwbroe
1st October 2021, 13:04
No more splits for EP?

wwbroe
1st October 2021, 13:06
Good time for EP, so safely trough

EstWRC
btw Ott said during the stage "its getting foggy" and Martin pushed the window heater i guess? somethhing he pushed there

TypeR
Lappi at finish, 3rd quickest

mknight
1st October 2021, 13:09
Map and splits are really weird so far on this rally.

Previous stage Gryazin was completely missing (on map in Jyvaskyla center), Prokop seemingly crashed and then everything including results froze for a long time.
Now Lappi both frozen and splits missing until he came to finish.

So take the map with extra big grain of salt.

Tauri_J
1st October 2021, 13:14
Map and splits are really weird so far on this rally.

Previous stage Gryazin was completely missing (on map in Jyvaskyla center), Prokop seemingly crashed and then everything including results froze for a long time.
Now Lappi both frozen and splits missing until he came to finish.

So take the map with extra big grain of salt.

Its a garbage product. Now worse than it was released, then we even had drivers speed. Rarely any new updates, but it is what it is.

lnvs
1st October 2021, 13:15
Wtf.. AMAZING wrc+..

Don't even show all the wrcs, because plane has to go refueling.. fk

They probably don't have tank to fly whole day and this was the only longer gap between stages. :rolleyes:

Lead
1st October 2021, 13:23
Ostberg with Citroen doing great against Polos so far.

dimviii
1st October 2021, 14:01
https://youtu.be/H3IROpBFXXA

dimviii
1st October 2021, 14:06
Karlip Automobile
@Karlip1
·
43m
SS3 @OliverSolberg01

"Very difficult, struggled a lot with understeer. Front is always giving up, not easy at all but we try."

EstWRC
1st October 2021, 14:40
https://twitter.com/HautamakiTimo/status/1443935045539045376?s=20

meh
1st October 2021, 14:45
Maybe overthinking but - Breen and Lappi didn't shine that much anymore on 2nd loop because of road position? (They both did still really well!)