PDA

View Full Version : Channel 5 oval racing O/T

a.howes700
14th May 2007, 10:26
What did people think of the formula 1 stock car racing from Brandon, Coventry? Is there anyone who goes to Rockingham, but not short ovals, and has now been tempted to visit one of the latter?
Channel 5 AGAIN lied about showing the 4th Indycar race of the year, after announcing it would be at 0410 hours on Monday morning. Unusually for an Indycar race, it had an 18 second margin of victory, I gather, but it was run at 214 mph average, and had 9 kead changes, so outclassed the usual formula one procession from Spain. I suppose somebody in a red car led all the way except for pitstops?

LessThanSte
14th May 2007, 12:07
Um, ive never been to Brandon, though its not too far away from me (i live abotu 5 miles from Hednesford!). Used to go there quite a lot but the prices have gone sky high recently, used to be around £7 to get in, now its more like £12.

Still, will go at some point. Hoped to get along to the May Day Bank Holiday meeting but the lack of sleep during the previous weekend contributed to sleeping until about 2PM *oops*

Tiesse
14th May 2007, 13:59
I took my son & nephew to Northampton on Bank Holiday Monday & was a little disappointed at the venue & the price to get in (for all 3 of us it cost £21).

The facility itself was in a sorry state (maybe I have been spoilt by Rockingham!).

I also didn't find the racing quite as entertaining as I was expecting, with the exception of the demolition derby at the end.

LessThanSte
14th May 2007, 14:48
Northampton isnt a great track though, in my opinion its far too tight for anything other than legends and mini stox really.

Should try out Hednesford, or Birmingham Wheels. The former is the fastest short oval in europe i believe (or used to be!) with about 7 or 8 degrees banking, perhaps a little more and laptimes of around 14 seconds for a legend!

pickup
14th May 2007, 15:23
Northampton isnt a great track though, in my opinion its far too tight for anything other than legends and mini stox really.

Should try out Hednesford, or Birmingham Wheels. The former is the fastest short oval in europe i believe (or used to be!) with about 7 or 8 degrees banking, perhaps a little more and laptimes of around 14 seconds for a legend!

You reckon Northampton is tight but recomend Birmingham are you sure you've got that the right way round, i've seen them racing break down lorries and also double decker busses at Northampton!(might struggle with that at Birmingham)
The F1's like racing there and normally put on a good show and also Northampton is recognised as one of the best non contact circuits with plenty of overtaking room for the National Hot Rods, even Ipswich the home of the hot rod world final doesn't have that "outside line".Admittedly the facilities need some upgrading but as with most short ovals i don't think they want to risk to much investment and Northampton has been in the hands of many owners/promoters over the past few years and suffers in that department as do many other short ovals.
Undoubtably Hednesford is the premier "short oval" and is an ideal circuit to watch f1 stox or National hot rods but again don't set your sights to high in the ammenities department.(as Tiesse has said i think Rockingham has spoilt us)

Roland Vanderme
14th May 2007, 17:30
"The former - Hednesford - is the fastest short oval in Europe"

The National Hot Rods came this weekend to Warneton. All the drivers agreed that Warneton - Belgium - is much faster than Hednesford.

deadsquirrel
14th May 2007, 18:07

Hednesford is 15 degrees in the banking - and the Hot Rods are close to 13 seconds I think now. It's still somewhat basic for facilities, but take a picnic, go to the loo before you arrive, and you'll have a great day.

Roland Vanderme
14th May 2007, 18:31
Hednesford is exactly 380m long on the race line. Warneton is 430m long. Hednesford has 8% banking (which is around 5 degrees). Warneton has 10 degrees banking.
I think that actually the National Hot Rods does 14.2 sec a lap in Hednesford.
Never mind, Hednesford is a very good track for short oval racing.

Speedworx
14th May 2007, 20:37
I missed the channel 5 coverage :(

truckmonster
14th May 2007, 20:50
When is the coverage on again??????

Chris29
16th May 2007, 09:56
The final showing for the first show is midnight on 27th May :)

Show 2 will debut on 30th in the early hours again, but you are probably better off waiting for the first midnight showing to make sure tiddlywinks or something doesn't over-run :D