PDA

View Full Version : Clown of the race

ShiftingGears
14th May 2007, 08:15
Vote goes to Jenson. Managing to come off the kerb exiting the pits and taking off his front wing when hitting his teammates car. Idiot!

Storm
14th May 2007, 08:32
Can't find much fault with that assessment :p :

Ranger
14th May 2007, 08:36
Or how about BMW's lollypop man? Heidfeld would be within 3 points of Raikkonen now had that incident not happened.

Or how about the genius that decided that the chicane would improve overtaking? Sure he wasn't racing, but should deserve some accholade nonetheless! :D

F1boat
14th May 2007, 08:43
Or how about the genius that decided that the chicane would improve overtaking? :D

Alas, it is sad, not funny.

Ranger
14th May 2007, 08:58
Alas, it is sad, not funny.

Funny in my very dry sense of humour. ;)

It is funny because the capability of passing down the straight had nothing to do with the type of corner that preceded it, unfortunately people who are paid to do this can't see that, as it is not a problem that lies in the track - it is in the cars.

Gibbsy
14th May 2007, 08:59
Cataluunya was the clown of the race. Its a good track for bikes.

F1boat
14th May 2007, 09:06
Funny in my very dry sense of humour. ;)

It is funny because the capability of passing down the straight had nothing to do with the type of corner that preceded it, unfortunately people who are paid to do this can't see that, as it is not a problem that lies in the track - it is in the cars.

But the new corner made the track even worse. However, I said after Rd. 2, that if they can't overtake in Sepang, they won't be able to do it anywhere.

Valve Bounce
14th May 2007, 09:13
Vote goes to Jenson. Managing to come off the kerb exiting the pits and taking off his front wing when hitting his teammates car. Idiot!

He learnt that from Taku :p :

raphael123
14th May 2007, 09:38
I must be honest, when was the last good race there? I think 96 maybe? Since then nothing much happens there. I'm disappointed it's contract has been extended, but I guess with such a strong following it was inevitable.

And yes, Button was pretty clumsy. I was surprised he almost went as far as to lay the blame on Rubens when he said he wasn't given much room by Rubens! It has to be said Rubens had the upperhand of Button so far this season, which is quite surprising.

Brown, Jon Brow
14th May 2007, 10:05
James Allen, I don't know what race he was watching :rolleyes:

Button had the worst drive and maybe Alonso threw away 2nd place with his lunge outside turn 1

raphael123
14th May 2007, 10:28

Spanish GP :p :

What makes you say otherwise?

Ranger
14th May 2007, 11:28

I think he does a pretty damn good job for the amount of **** races (not unlike the one we just watched) he has to commentate for.

Dave B
14th May 2007, 11:32
Button didn't exactly cover himself with glory, did he? :s

My vote goes to the BMW lollypop man. It would go to Heidfield for driving off when there was a Toyota mechanic standing six feet in front of him holding his wheel nut, but he redeems himself for completing a lap without a corner of his car coming off.

Georgeboi999
14th May 2007, 12:01
ITV. They was cooking with Heikki in the pre-race show. WTF

raphael123
14th May 2007, 12:11
ITV. They was cooking with Heikki in the pre-race show. WTF

I actually enjoy watching interviews, and the pre-show when we get to know a bit about the drivers. :up:

I'd encourage more of it.

jens
14th May 2007, 13:26
For me, Toyota was the clown of the race...

And also the attitude in qualifying during Q1. They thought they can make it through on worn tyres, which meant that only one of their cars was lucky to narrowly get into Q2. Still a damn lot to learn... (hopefully they don't put slicks too early on in drying conditions any more...)

ioan
14th May 2007, 13:47
It would go to Heidfield for driving off when there was a Toyota mechanic standing six feet in front of him holding his wheel nut,

The wheel nut fell out of the airgun only after Heidfeld was already gone and Massa didn't even realise that his car was on fire, so I'll have to go with jenson for this award!

CarlMetro
14th May 2007, 14:19
The wheel nut fell out of the airgun only after Heidfeld was already gone

I'd advise you take a second look at the footage, the Toyota mechanic stood in front of the car and waved the nut in his hand at both the team and Nick, before Nick then drove off.

Jenson was definately muppet of the day for him move on Rubens, although Alonso ran him a close second for thinking that he could get past not just one but two Ferrari's around the outside of bends. Maybe a couple of years ago Fernando, but not this year ;)

raphael123
14th May 2007, 14:27
Jenson was definately muppet of the day for him move on Rubens, although Alonso ran him a close second for thinking that he could get past not just one but two Ferrari's around the outside of bends. Maybe a couple of years ago Fernando, but not this year ;)

Are you being serious?

Alonso's moves were optimistic, but considering going in the inside wasn't an option, going outside was his only choice - that or just stay behind.

From what we've seen of Massa this year, side by side combat isn't his strength, and seeing how easily he and Hamilton got past Massa in Malaysia, I think he made the right choice in trying to go round the outside, given that he would have then been on the inside for the next corner. Hindsight is a wonderful thing, I'm sure even you don't have. I don't blame Massa, but it seems to have become acceptable to force a driver onto the grass these days.

As for his move on Kimi, it wasn't anything which I thought made Alonso look like a clown. I think it's called racing.

The same applies to Heidfeld. What exactly did he do wrong. He stayed in the pitlane for a long time, and none of his mechanics came to his rescue. Or were you people expecting him to get out of the car and do it himself? His mechanics were the clowns.

CarlMetro
14th May 2007, 14:32
The same applies to Heidfeld. What exactly did he do wrong. He stayed in the pitlane for a long time, and none of his mechanics came to his rescue. Or were you people expecting him to get out of the car and do it himself? His mechanics were the clowns.

:confused:

I never mentioned Heidfeld.

As for 'racing'. Yes that's true Alonso was racing, but the move on Kimi was never going to work, neither was the one on Massa, both were going to have only one outcome.

truefan72
14th May 2007, 14:42
The entire BMW pit team and Race manager.
1. For droping the car before the tyre was afixed
2. for not rushing to push heidfeld back when he stopped well within distance
3. for the race manager urging heidfeld to go out and do a lap and then come back in, with an extremely shaky tyrei, instead of pushing him back and fixing the thing. It would have saved him more time and probably would have not sent him down a lap.

They paniced and exhibited the worst judgment all around.

honorable mention goes to Button colliding with his teamate and Alonso for blowing his chances at victory.

GRAVETT
14th May 2007, 15:44
james allen

schmenke
14th May 2007, 15:45
Massa for his response to Peter Windsor's question about the flash fire during the first pit stop.
"There was a fire?" :dozey:

jens
14th May 2007, 15:48
About that wheelnut problem. When did such thing last time happened? British Grand Prix in 1999 and Häkkinen spring to my mind, but has something else similar happened during the last 8 years? Can't recall at the moment...

aryan
14th May 2007, 17:56
Jensen for sure.

Not only for the move, but for the imbecility and utter absurdity of blaming rubens for it.

BMW showed that even though they are fast, they are still not professional.

Brown, Jon Brow
14th May 2007, 18:07
About that wheelnut problem. When did such thing last time happened? British Grand Prix in 1999 and Häkkinen spring to my mind, but has something else similar happened during the last 8 years? Can't recall at the moment...

Alonso at Hungary last year...... :dozey:

raphael123
14th May 2007, 18:55
:confused:

I never mentioned Heidfeld.

Wasn't directed at you personally :up:

As for 'racing'. Yes that's true Alonso was racing, but the move on Kimi was never going to work, neither was the one on Massa, both were going to have only one outcome.

As you say. It was called racing. It was an F1 race. Trying to overtake a car on the outside doesn't make him a clown :rolleyes:

Ian McC
14th May 2007, 19:33
Alas I failed to see anyone in silly red shoes, red nose, painted face and silly clothes, if I had I fear that he may have been round near the BMW garage at one point during the race.

wmcot
14th May 2007, 20:20
I actually enjoy watching interviews, and the pre-show when we get to know a bit about the drivers. :up:

I'd encourage more of it.

The pre-race show is often the most interesting part of the race weekend. I try to watch both the SPEED and ITV pre-race shows. I find I learn a lot that way. (Not all of it is good, however. Sometimes you learn who is a bad journalist.)

wmcot
14th May 2007, 20:25
It would go to Heidfield for driving off when there was a Toyota mechanic standing six feet in front of him holding his wheel nut, but he redeems himself for completing a lap without a corner of his car coming off.

I think that was pretty impressive to do a full lap with one loose tire. Anybody know the lap time on that lap? Maybe they should should make each driver do qualifying with only 3 wheels attached - that would be interesting! :)

rohanweb
14th May 2007, 20:40
Clown of the race award goes to ..............................

Jenson Button of GB ;)

welldone chap

salmo
14th May 2007, 21:26
My vote goes to the BMW lollypop man. It would go to Heidfield for driving off when there was a Toyota mechanic standing six feet in front of him holding his wheel nut, but he redeems himself for completing a lap without a corner of his car coming off.
The American TV commentators were wondering aloud about this, and later came back and reported that while Heidfeld was sitting there stopped, he knew there was a problem with the wheel nut and radioed his crew for instructions. The instructions were to go out, drive a lap, and come back to fix it. So while there's plenty of blame to assign for this one, I think the driver in this case is innocent.

Wonder if Mr. Lollipop has his resumé up to date?

schmenke
14th May 2007, 21:45
The American TV commentators were wondering aloud about this, and later came back and reported that while Heidfeld was sitting there stopped, he knew there was a problem with the wheel nut and radioed his crew for instructions. The instructions were to go out, drive a lap, and come back to fix it. ...

Yeah, that's what I heard too.

Dave B
14th May 2007, 21:50
The American TV commentators were wondering aloud about this, and later came back and reported that while Heidfeld was sitting there stopped, he knew there was a problem with the wheel nut and radioed his crew for instructions. The instructions were to go out, drive a lap, and come back to fix it. So while there's plenty of blame to assign for this one, I think the driver in this case is innocent.
Interesting, and it would explain why he remained stationery for a while then drove off. In that case I retract my earlier comment :up:

stevie_gerrard
14th May 2007, 22:16
My Theory is that Taku and Jenson swapped places before the race ;)

Hawkmoon
14th May 2007, 22:18
I don't think it was the lollipop guy's fault. I could have sworn that the guy on the wheel gun went back for a second go at the wheel when he realised that the nut hadn't gone on. That's why the lollipop guy released the car.

No one else has emntioned it so I guess I must have imangined it. :confused:

schmenke
14th May 2007, 22:19
I don't think it was the lollipop guy's fault. I could have sworn that the guy on the wheel gun went back for a second go at the wheel when he realised that the nut hadn't gone on. That's why the lollipop guy released the car.

Don't think You imagined it. I thought I saw it too...

Hawkmoon
14th May 2007, 22:58
Don't think You imagined it. I thought I saw it too...

So I'm not entirely insane then. :)

Valve Bounce
14th May 2007, 22:59
My Theory is that Taku and Jenson swapped places before the race ;)

No way!! Tako is miles shorter than bunsen :D

aryan
15th May 2007, 03:03

I didn't clearly see it, but this seems very probable to me as well. Lollipop would not have released him if the wheel nut guy hadn't had his hand up. I think he went for a second go.

And i've heard the reason they didn't take Nick back is because driving in reverse in the pit lane is apparently forbidden. I don't think they would have been penalised for just dragging the car for a couple of meters back to the spot though...

Anyway I don't think Nick is to blame at all, and I also think the race manager also tried he thought was best to avoid a penalty. So the blame falls on either the lollipop or the wheel nut, I am sure BMW knows which one.