PDA

View Full Version : 2 weeks to go

DavePI2
14th May 2007, 01:09
Two weeks till my first 500 and I can't wait. I may be 52 but I still feel like a kid waiting on Christmas morning. I'll be in grandstand a and I will be enjoying it and to hell with Robin Miller. (If I'm not allowed to use that word please excuse me but I'm tired of everyone talking bad about open wheel). Hope to run into a few of the members there.

David

P.S. has anyone else ever sat in grandstand a before? If you have what is it like.?

keysersoze
15th May 2007, 17:40
Congrats Dave. Like you, I started attending Indy pretty late in life. I'm now 43, and this will be my 4th Indy--all in a row. You will have a blast. About two week before the race I will spontaneously and quite randomly bust out singing "Back Home Again in Indiana" at the top of my lungs. That signals that I'm getting pretty fired up about the trip!

Took my dad first time, in '04, and sat in the North Vista. We saved a bunch of money by staying in a town about 60 miles south of Indy. It was just OK.

The next year we moved to section 25 of NE Vista, row J or something like that. This is just entering the corner of T3. Big improvement. Took my cousin, and we stayed in Bloomington for $40 / night.

Managed to move 3 sections toward the corner, in section 22, row F. Bought 6 tickets and camped with my brother and friends for 4 days outside T4. It was awesome. Got a pass to the Hulman Suite to watch the IPS race (one of my former students drives for an IPS team and his dad gave me a ticket).

This year I bought six seats again, and this time we have even better seats, in section 14. Still, the row # is quite low. Will camp again all weekend, this time with 8 others!

Of course, I'd love to be in the covered sections in T1, but for now the NE Vista has great views. I just need higher seats.

Enjoy the race.

MarcoCheever
15th May 2007, 20:39
CONGRATs Dave

I feel the same way.

I bet this is my 12th in a row now and I get as excited still as though it's my first.

I've never been in "A" I bet they're great. we unually sat in turn 4 <waybackmachine> a few years ago when Wheldon was still kind of new (maybe a rookie) he crashed and ended up upsidedown right in front of us, the crowd was hushed ,,,,you could of heard a pin drop,,,,he crawls out and TA DA waves at the crowd and they go wild ! </waybackmachine>

This is our first year in grandstand "C" I'll let you know how those are.

Anyway get to your seats early cheer and wave at the celebrities the motorcycle cops, don't be ashamed when you tear up during "Back Home Again In Indiana" make sure to go to the bathroom before taps and the flyover because you'll pee your pants and get ready for The Greatest Spectacle In Racing ™

mc out

DavePI2
16th May 2007, 02:13
I sat in grandstand c for the brickyard( I can't believe I admit to that ) last year and I thought the seats were great for a track it is impossible to see it all. I could see a lot of the track between 3 and 4 and of course the entire front straight. Pits of the last qualifiers were right accross from me. the great thing about the pits at Indy is that you are so close to them if you sit on the front straight. I had paddock seats for the gp last year because I figured what can beat a f1 start. That and the pits (ferrari, mclaren, and renault) were right accross from me I thought it would be a great experience. Well the start was what I expected, most electrofying thing I have experienced. Unfortunately our old favorite montoya took out 1/3 of the field on the first turn(including his teammate). Ruined the rest of the race. Wondering how the 500 start will compare with the gp. I can't wait.

David

Toe_Knee_Jorge
16th May 2007, 11:22
"Wondering how the 500 start will compare with the gp."

The start is great

After all the build up (Florence Henderson, Jim Nabors, Taps, Flyover, driver intoduction, Ladies and Gentlemen start your engines) The cars pull away.

First time past you about 70 miles an hour,,,

The next time past you about 150 (keep in mind all packed together)

The next lap even faster 200 miles an hour then the green flag heading into turn one flat out 230 ! it's a BLAST