PDA

View Full Version : WRC Rally Acropolis Greece 2021

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

bomber21
26th March 2021, 11:33
It is official! After 8 years, Rally Acropolis is back!! I am so happy!!!
It replaces Rally Chile (9-12 Sep).

https://www.wrc.com/en/news/2021/wrc/wrc-adds-acropolis-rally-greece-to-2021-calendar/

Known as the Rally of Gods, Acropolis Rally Greece will start from its traditional location beneath the famous Parthenon temple in Athens, restoring one of the sport’s famous picture postcard images to the WRC.

Details of the host city and itinerary will be issued following the regular route inspections by the FIA and WRC Promoter.

AnttiL
26th March 2021, 11:39
Chile is a nice rally as well. However, now the 2021 season will have a slow and rough rally, something that was initially lacking (although now there's no Wales nor Chile as a mid-speed slippery twisty autumn rally)

MartijnS
26th March 2021, 11:53
Great news! One of the best events we visited.

bomber21
26th March 2021, 11:53
I am curious to see in which location it will be held: Loutraki (Corinth) or Lamia? I personally prefer Lamia, the region offers great stages but Loutraki is closer to Athens.

Tom K
26th March 2021, 12:31
But Loutraki has better hotel base. Both locations are beautiful. Maybe Lamia stages are bit more classic :0

KiwiWRCfan
26th March 2021, 12:37
welcome back video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bv3Fmgv_SBg

AnttiL
26th March 2021, 12:38
From Lamia, could they drive the legendary Meteora stage? Or would it be even possible? It's about 150 km away

macebig
26th March 2021, 12:45
From Lamia, could they drive the legendary Meteora stage? Or would it be even possible? It's about 150 km away

Nope. Everything is tarmac there now. As most of classic Acropolis stages.

Tom K
26th March 2021, 12:45
Gravel is still there?:) Anyway, I doubt they could run this.

Yugo_para_siempre
26th March 2021, 12:47
This is bad for the friends from Chile, personally I like the rally and also the people there.

But these are awesome news for us Greeks.
Last year I have gone to the Toyota tests with Ogier at SS Kaloskopi.
These cars with top level drivers are so fast and spectacular, just amazing...

I prefer the stages to take place mainly at the region of Fokida, which is the most classic.
But in any case it would be fantastic to have the WRC back again, the stages do not matter so much.

hari
26th March 2021, 14:35
I am curious to see in which location it will be held: Loutraki (Corinth) or Lamia? I personally prefer Lamia, the region offers great stages but Loutraki is closer to Athens.
I hope for Loutraki - it was a perfect location base when visiting in 2009 and 2013. Much better than 2007 in Athens.

macebig
26th March 2021, 14:52
The start will be in Athens 99%. Possibly combined with a SSS at the Hippodrome in Markopoulo. Higher ups are trying for OAKA like in 2005, but it may prove too costly.

Antonis9
26th March 2021, 15:02
Rumors says that the first opener of the rally is arround parthenon and acropolis !! We are back guys !! WRC welcome !!!! In 2 weeks published the route and is probably 380 km

Yugo_para_siempre
26th March 2021, 15:19
You mean 380 km of special stages?

This would be fantastic... We have not seen that much competitive km for a long time.

dimviii
26th March 2021, 15:33
The FIA has always made it clear an event coming to the championship to replace another rally can run below the stipulated 300-kilometer (180-mile) agreed limit.

A source in the event told DirtFish: “We won’t do that. We want to run the full Monte. We have a reputation to maintain and when we deliver the route in 15 days, you will see that this is what we’re going to do.”

While the Acropolis comes in as a replacement for Rally Chile, which was lost to ongoing coronavirus concerns in South America, the Athens-based organizer has agreed a multi-year deal to ensure one of the series’ founding rounds can again look forward to a WRC future.

The favored option within the organizing group is understood to be a Loutraki base with a day one remote tire zone taking the crews north towards Lamia for classic stages such as Thiva, Bauxites and Drossohori.

“The target is to have 80% of the population vaccinated against coronavirus by September so that combined with some sensible precautions, like masks, should hopefully enough for us to bring spectators back to what is an outdoor event – that’s so important for us.”

https://dirtfish.com/rally/wrc/acropoli ... eputation/

bomber21
26th March 2021, 15:53
The start will be in Athens 99%. Possibly combined with a SSS at the Hippodrome in Markopoulo. Higher ups are trying for OAKA like in 2005, but it may prove too costly.
I did not like Markopoulo SSS in ERC 2018. The action takes place too far from the stands. I could not even see which car was competing. OAKA (olympic stadium) SSS would be fantastic!!

focus206
26th March 2021, 15:59
Sorry for the fine Rally of Chile, but very glad to see Acropolis back... we needed one rough, slower gravel rally in the calendar and we got the best one in the world. Finally!

Tom K
26th March 2021, 16:33
380 km?

Art. 10.1.2. The total distance of the special stages shall be between 300
km and 350 km.

Mirek
26th March 2021, 16:42
“The target is to have 80% of the population vaccinated against coronavirus by September so that combined with some sensible precautions, like masks, should hopefully enough for us to bring spectators back to what is an outdoor event – that’s so important for us.”

When there is 80% of population imune to the illness (any), the epidemy disappears because the illness can't spread itself in largely imune environment.

Antonis9
26th March 2021, 17:02
Around 300 km !! Sorry my mistake !!!

bisak
26th March 2021, 17:08
When there is 80% of population imune to the illness (any), the epidemy disappears because the illness can't spread itself in largely imune environment.

That's when we are talking about real diseases. Unfortunately made-up ones like the current one don't work on the same principle. :/

Good news about the event though. I'm really excited.

Sulland
26th March 2021, 17:34
That's when we are talking about real diseases. Unfortunately made-up ones like the current one don't work on the same principle. :/

Who made it up?

Mirek
26th March 2021, 18:02

Just a few minutes ago I got news about another covid related death in my wider family. It's fifth person I personally knew who died from covid in one last month.

RudiH
26th March 2021, 18:38
Fantastic news, never missed an edition since 1995, all fired up!

scn
26th March 2021, 23:04
Guys, Acropolis is NOT slow. There are a lot of slow technical sections, indeed, and some wholly slow, but difficult, stages like Elatia-Karia or Grammeni. But there are also many crazy 6th gear sections in many stages. Karoutes, Bauxites, Eleftherohori, Kineta, Ziria, Thiva, Divri, Skourta (a hell of a fast stage) have several sections that are really fast and totally crazy, either because they are steep downhill or because of very bad and slippery gravel that makes car control very difficult. The problem is that most of these sections do not have spectator access, very few spectators know them and TV does not prefer them. But if you drive them with a rally car you will see that the term "slow rally" does not apply. It is not Finland, but it is not slow.

P.S. However, my favorite SS is a rather slow one, Gravia. It is 25 km long, all of it is wonderful but especially its 17 km downhill section is AMAZING. It is like driving on slippery gravel the downhill section from Col de Turini to Sospel. The organizers have dared put it only twice, only in ERC. In WRC they always put it the opposite way, because of safety reasons. I hope this year they dare it again.

Yugo_para_siempre
27th March 2021, 00:09
If I am not mistaken the uphill version of SS Gravia is the classic SS Drossohori right?

I am sure that at 2001 Acropolis SS Gravia was included, but I am not sure if it included all the downhill section, or it was a little bit altered. Do you remember?

scn
27th March 2021, 00:20
If I am not mistaken the uphill version of SS Gravia is the classic SS Drossohori right?

I am sure that at 2001 Acropolis SS Gravia was included, but I am not sure if it included all the downhill section, or it was a little bit altered. Do you remember?

Indeed, Drossohori has this part in the opposite direction, uphill. Gravia of 2001 did not have the downhill section of 2016. It started near Eptalofos and finished in Gravia. The truly amazing stage is the one they put only in 2016 and 2017. Start in Gravia and finish near Eleonas. But it is dangerous.

Yugo_para_siempre
27th March 2021, 00:25
No, Drossohori has this part in the opposite direction, which means uphill.

That's what I mentioned. That Drossohori has this section as uphill.

Thank you very much for the clarification regarding 2001 Acropolis and SS Gravia.

AnttiL
27th March 2021, 06:30
Guys, Acropolis is NOT slow. There are a lot of slow technical sections, indeed, and some wholly slow, but difficult, stages like Elatia-Karia or Grammeni. But there are also many crazy 6th gear sections in many stages.

Well it's still relatively slow overall, but it's true that there are also faster sections, and when we compare the overall average speeds to Cyprus and Turkey, it's definitely the least slow of them. The average speed is closer to the likes of Mexico and Sardegna. On the level of stage win average speeds, the Acropolis stages don't seem to have big differences between each other like in Sardegna where some stages can be very fast and some stage very slow.

Rally-maps.com has all Acropolis editions since 1990 (except 1991) https://www.rally-maps.com/Acropolis-Rally-1990

scn
27th March 2021, 07:09
Well it's still relatively slow overall, but it's true that there are also faster sections, and when we compare the overall average speeds to Cyprus and Turkey, it's definitely the least slow of them. The average speed is closer to the likes of Mexico and Sardegna. On the level of stage win average speeds, the Acropolis stages don't seem to have big differences between each other like in Sardegna where some stages can be fast and some stages slow.

Rally-maps.com has all Acropolis editions since 1990 (except 1991) https://www.rally-maps.com/Acropolis-Rally-1990

Acropolis has one characteristic that I haven't seen in Sardegna, Finland (I have come twice in your country as a spectator), Poland, Spain, Portugal, Corsica, Alsace, Monte, Germany: It has a very wide spectrum of characteristics. It includes wholly different kinds of road surfaces, bad, good, medium, hard rock, slippery gravel, sandy, clay. It has long steep uphill, long steep downhill and flat sections. It has fast, medium, slow, narrow, wide parts. It has forest scenery at altitudes of 1500 m, different forests at lower altitudes and sections on plains or hills without any trees. All rallies I mentioned are wonderful. I love all of them and every year I put aside an amount for spectating in one of them. But this wide variety I mentioned, I have seen it only in Acropolis.

Fast Eddie WRC
27th March 2021, 13:05
BTW, what happened to Rally Turkey ? I bet they arent happy that they are out and the Greeks are back in ? ;)

Berke
27th March 2021, 21:59
I'm Turkish and pretty happy to see Acropolis back.

Yugo_para_siempre
28th March 2021, 21:41
https://youtu.be/cyCEjgQWvQM

It would be good if the fantastic SS Ziria will be included.

This flat out left is wonderful and with the new cars will be even more spectacular.

I hope that they will not put the speed reduction S, that was placed some hundred meters before, closer to this corner for more safety.
We need the new cars to carry more speed.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/Hn9F7maGDgWVRJMZA

This was the last Acropolis of Petter. Big fight with Loeb that lead him to a crash at last day.

PLuto
29th March 2021, 11:57
BTW, what happened to Rally Turkey ? I bet they arent happy that they are out and the Greeks are back in ? ;)

Original plan was to repace Safari by Acropolis, Chile by Turkey and Japan by Monza. That is also the reason why Ypres is in August and not in usual date at the end of June. But it looks like negotiations with Turkey failed, so they re-scheduled their original plan for changes...

Tom K
29th March 2021, 12:18
So if Safari is out, Liepaja is in then?

Lancia Stratos
29th March 2021, 17:30
Original plan was to repace Safari by Acropolis, Chile by Turkey and Japan by Monza. That is also the reason why Ypres is in August and not in usual date at the end of June. But it looks like negotiations with Turkey failed, so they re-scheduled their original plan for changes...

And that is complete fiction.

bomber21
1st April 2021, 19:17
Jona Siebel, managing director of WRC, welcomes the Acropolis back to the WRC.

https://twitter.com/acropolisrally/status/1377678542159409154?s=21

bomber21
16th April 2021, 10:36
Rally Acropolis will take place in Lamia! Just one stage will be held in Loutraki.

The ceremonial start will take place in Athens under Acropolis monument! Then, the rally heads to Loutraki region, to the spectacular SS Agii Theodori.

Then, the action will take place for two days in Lamia region with the well known SS Voxites, Tarzan, Pavliani, etc.

More details will be published in the next days.

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=el&tl=en&u=https://www.newsauto.gr/races/sti-lamia-to-rali-akropolis/

AnttiL
16th April 2021, 11:02
If I understood correctly the service park will be in Lamia with two days of stages there, Saturday and Sunday. Friday will be just the Aghii Theodori stage, or a full day with only a tyre zone in Loutraki? And Voxites means Bauxites, right?

bomber21
16th April 2021, 11:12
If I understood correctly the service park will be in Lamia with two days of stages there, Saturday and Sunday. Friday will be just the Aghii Theodori stage, or a full day with only a tyre zone in Loutraki? And Voxites means Bauxites, right?

Yes, this is my understanding as well. The service park will be in Lamia.
I am not sure about the Friday Loutraki stages yet.

And Voxites is Bauxites, indeed!

(sorry, it is how it is pronounced in Greek)

atsiotras79
16th April 2021, 12:00
I have a feeling that cars Thursday night might have to stay in Athens... whether the starting ceremony is Thursday afternoon or very early Friday morning...
Agioi Theodoroi, I suspect Agia Marina (SS2 in 2012 - Rallyper remember that crazy downhill?) and Thiva.
Saturday and Sunday the options are limitless...

bomber21
16th April 2021, 12:04
I have a feeling that cars Thursday night might have to stay in Athens... whether the starting ceremony is Thursday afternoon or very early Friday morning...
Agioi Theodoroi, I suspect Agia Marina (SS2 in 2012 - Rallyper remember that crazy downhill?) and Thiva.
It would be great the starting ceremony to be Thursday afternoon so one who wants to watch it can also go next morning to Loutraki.

Rallyper
16th April 2021, 12:20

Yes. Remember very well. Nice memories with you my friend. And the Japanese guy whos name I forgot...

Big stones like fists in the ruts all way down to finish.

Tom K
16th April 2021, 12:23
They wanted to do full 3 days of action, saying "we have reputation to maintain" so let's wait, what is the idea behind Loutraki stop.

atsiotras79
16th April 2021, 12:32
It’s political reasons...

AnttiL
16th April 2021, 12:38
For example Rally Portugal has this year Friday far from the service park with only a remote tyre zone for the Friday stages, they could do a similar thing.

spyros
16th April 2021, 16:55
Great news,what a memories ouaou that's so great,very nice stages (Pavliani, Karoutes,Elatia ...)beautiful places.I'm so so happy.

the sniper
16th April 2021, 18:06
For example Rally Portugal has this year Friday far from the service park with only a remote tyre zone for the Friday stages, they could do a similar thing.

And as you're aware, Rally GB has done something similar with the day of the Mid Wales (Myherin, Hafren) loop. That has featured 150km of SS.

dupanton
16th April 2021, 21:18
Same with last day in Monte Carlo and Ypres later this year.

scn
16th April 2021, 22:47
I suspect that Friday will be a crazy day with many kms of tough stages without service. From Athens to Lamia via Agioi Theodoroi it is very difficult to have a second loop. Only a tyre zone can be held.
An important detail: In Acropolis the first on the road have cleaning to do, but at the same time they put big rocks on the road for the guys following.

bomber21
17th April 2021, 17:10
It is said that Friday will have SS Aghii Theodori x2 and SS Pissia x2.

Tom K
17th April 2021, 23:15
I hoped for Thiva and Psatha :)

Jordib
2nd May 2021, 09:40
After many years out of this forum (social media has eaten up my time) I write againg here to ask the locals or Acropolis Rally experts here about tips on where to catch the accommodation for the rally. Any recommendation?

Thanks in advance!

scn
2nd May 2021, 09:57
After many years out of this forum (social media has eaten up my time) I write againg here to ask the locals or Acropolis Rally experts here about tips on where to catch the accommodation for the rally. Any recommendation?

Thanks in advance!

There is no route announced yet. One thing is certain: You will not find any room around Lamia because they are already reserved by the organizer. I would suggest to try either one hotel in Gorgopotamos (tel 2231081204) which is close to Lamia, or, if you don't find any close to Lamia, try one of the hotels in Pavliani (I have the number of one: 2231083111). I have stayed in both of them for local rallies and they are decent.
In Acropolis I am going to use my tent. September is great on the mountains.

PLuto
2nd May 2021, 12:13

Thanks in advance!

When I was on rally in this area, I was always sleeping in Kamena Vourla. Quite easy to reach Lamia by highway and also easy entrance to stages in Parnassus.

atsiotras79
2nd May 2021, 12:35
Most rooms in Kamena Vourla are booked 😉

PLuto
2nd May 2021, 14:35
Most rooms in Kamena Vourla are booked ��

Not by me ;)

bomber21
2nd May 2021, 17:09
You can try also looking for accomodation in Gravia or Mariolata. I stayed there during the last three Acropolis rallies.

Edit: I just saw they are all booked. I see there are some free in Eptalofos and Pavliani.

Jordib
3rd May 2021, 19:43
Thanks you all for the recommendations!! I will look for Eptalofos and Pavliani as it looks like people is booking fast, althought there is no official route announced.

macebig
1st June 2021, 10:11
Rally Guide 1 is out.
Opening SSS in the city of Athens on Thursday afternoon,classic Tarzan stage returns as Power Stage.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1d8tdkWLm_mMB1up2rzQqjao63hExivTe/view

AnttiL
1st June 2021, 10:37
wow, six single-run stages (SSS will be seventh)

NOT
1st June 2021, 14:40
I will go through the some stages before the rally starts, about a week or so before and post spots and how to get there. the stages are nice.

here are some pictures i took from 2005 of the stages close to lamia

shakedown (complete garbage of a stage)

https://imgur.com/8A6mn5h
https://imgur.com/vXN2ogK
https://imgur.com/nyCcHkq
https://imgur.com/P6wofa7
https://imgur.com/c2Q6C6b

pavliani

https://imgur.com/j4XMt2t
https://imgur.com/1sr1QAn
https://imgur.com/nFy9yJX
https://imgur.com/fhpCBdv

elatia

https://imgur.com/u6tiqEj
https://imgur.com/kcGRFsu
https://imgur.com/K8BSItU
https://imgur.com/mumHRzX

and no i am not coming back... far too many retarded british subhumans.

EstWRC
1st June 2021, 14:53
lol...welcome back anyway even for this little moment

dimviii
1st June 2021, 15:31

come on Greg...

NOT
1st June 2021, 16:50
agioi theodoroi

https://imgur.com/Dqjgfcr

thiva

https://imgur.com/lrdIkvB
https://imgur.com/iCDCfi6
https://imgur.com/Ls38goF
https://imgur.com/V0vdznC

these are from 2007 to 2012...

tc10a
1st June 2021, 16:53
Your "complete garbage of a stage" shakedown is not the one which is driven 2021.
It's some km more north.

shakedown (complete garbage of a stage)

https://imgur.com/8A6mn5h
https://imgur.com/vXN2ogK
https://imgur.com/nyCcHkq
https://imgur.com/P6wofa7
https://imgur.com/c2Q6C6b

NOT
1st June 2021, 16:56
Your "complete garbage of a stage" shakedown is not the one which is driven 2021.
It's some km more north.

you are correct !!! great news.

the shakedown is the first kms of ss10-12 of the 2018 edition

here is an onboard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMAlmW640w4

and some aerial footage
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJC55rjy5qs

AnttiL
1st June 2021, 18:36
P.S. However, my favorite SS is a rather slow one, Gravia. It is 25 km long, all of it is wonderful but especially its 17 km downhill section is AMAZING. It is like driving on slippery gravel the downhill section from Col de Turini to Sospel. The organizers have dared put it only twice, only in ERC. In WRC they always put it the opposite way, because of safety reasons. I hope this year they dare it again.

So this is now included? https://www.rally-maps.com/Acropolis-Rally-of-Greece-2021/Gravia

Yugo_para_siempre
1st June 2021, 22:15
Yes it seems that Gravia includes a part of Drossohori stage, but in downhill direction like scn mentioned.

Generally a good route, with variety and some classic stages.

But I would like to see 320 competitive kilometers and of course Karoutes stage.

the sniper
1st June 2021, 23:37
wow, six single-run stages (SSS will be seventh)

God bless the Greeks, glad to see someone willing to stray from the formula, though the WRC will probably punish us with All Live struggling to cover it... If only it were a bit longer. It'd be nice, but surely SSS1 can't be over 8km to take the event over the 300km mark?

Too bad, we Britishers could do with your guidance in these difficult times! :D

bomber21
2nd June 2021, 09:53
but surely SSS1 can't be over 8km to take the event over the 300km mark?

I understand that SSS will be in a stadium and they are waiting to see how the pandemic situation will be in order to decide for spectators presence. They said that, covid allowed, SSS will be a surprise.

Also SS Pissia was not finally included due to recent big fire in the region.

macebig
2nd June 2021, 12:55
Olympic Stadium isn't available. There is a match for the National Football team scheduled there on Wednesday the 8th. It will be a city stage.

bomber21
2nd June 2021, 13:03
Olympic Stadium isn't available. There is a match for the National Football team scheduled there on Wednesday the 8th. It will be a city stage.
WOW, nice to hear.

scn
2nd June 2021, 16:57
So this is now included? https://www.rally-maps.com/Acropolis-Rally-of-Greece-2021/Gravia

Yes, Gravia is included in its best form, the one I mentioned. It is the first time they put it in WRC.
And also is included the Downhill Greek Pikes Peak, the last 8 km of SS Pirgos. The whole stage is 33 km, mostly narrow and slow, but the last 8 km are really fantastic. Wide, smooth downhill road, steep in some points, with lots of fast sections and a few 2nd gear hairpins. It is a downhill Finnish road.

Yugo_para_siempre
2nd June 2021, 19:00
scn, just for the info.
Could you please clarify in which mountain the SS Pyrgos is considered to be placed?
Oiti or Vardousia or at both of them?

MartijnS
2nd June 2021, 19:30
Booked accommodation! Let’s hope we can visit :)

scn
2nd June 2021, 19:47
scn, just for the info.
Could you please clarify in which mountain the SS Pyrgos is considered to be placed?
Oiti or Vardousia or at both of them?
It starts from Oiti and finishes in Vardousia.

scn
2nd June 2021, 20:16
As far as special stages are concerned, they are all difficult and interesting. From a spectator's point of view, there are certain places that are really good and many places that have nothing special to offer regarding the spectacle. (Scenery is beautiful in almost all of the route).
The minus points are that liaison sections are very long and that two days recce is madness. I don't know how much higher is the potential of the WRC crews, but to my experience it is impossible and dangerous to try to write and check in only two days the 220 km of these twisty stages with these long liaison sections. If they keep the two days regulation I expect accidents solely because of wrong pace notes.

edit. The distance to be written is about 45% more than rally Sardinia or rally Portugal. However, to this it must be added that no other rally in whole WRC has so twisty section as, for example, are the last 15 km of the SS Pavliani. The amount of notes for these 15 km is actually as much as would be needed for a typical stage of about 20-22 km.

Tom K
2nd June 2021, 23:25
Also SS Pissia was not finally included due to recent big fire in the region. According to this we are lucky to have Aghii and Loutraki. Pissia start/finish was always ~ 1 km from 2021's Loutraki finish.

atsiotras79
3rd June 2021, 09:20
The minus points are that liaison sections are very long and that two days recce is madness. I don't know how much higher is the potential of the WRC crews, but to my experience it is impossible and dangerous to try to write and check in only two days the 220 km of these twisty stages with these long liaison sections. If they keep the two days regulation...

I am pretty sure in RG1 says recce is 3 days... Monday to Wednesday...

AnttiL
3rd June 2021, 09:23

Yes, you can get a waiver to have a three day recce. Monte does this as well sometimes (but for sure it's more difficult for other rallies to get the waivers accepted)

pantealex
3rd June 2021, 09:28
3 day recce because so many stages are only driven once.

I believe surface is biggest reason for only 1 run, 2nd run might be fatal for current cars.

AnttiL
3rd June 2021, 09:42

I believe surface is biggest reason for only 1 run, 2nd run might be fatal for current cars.

Interesting because all those 2021 single-runs have been double-run in the past with bigger entry lists, so it shouldn't be an issue really. I think they just wanted to make a more ambitious route with a wider geographical area and more stage titles, something different. The route overlay is similar to the early 90's when they started the rally in Athens, went through Corinth to Lamia and ended the rally around Lamia. It was just more dense with special stages and now with more road sections :)

scn
3rd June 2021, 10:42

Modern cars with about 55 cm suspension travel, inclined shock-absorbers and high-tech materials are a lot stronger than anything seen in the past.
The reason for this route is solely because the organizer wanted to cover bigger area, to the style of old rallies, exactly as AnttiL said.

edit. This route is far from the toughest. Actually it is a rather soft Acropolis. Even SS Tarzan has been re-surfaced and has nothing in common with the hell it used to be.

scn
3rd June 2021, 10:52

Yes, I just saw it. They give three days, a total of 34 hours for recce. This is barely enough. Some will not be able to make correct notes.

atsiotras79
3rd June 2021, 11:19
The reason that the rally is so spread out is that there were many politicians involved behind the committee that got the rally and all of them wanted the rally to pass from their area!
It would have been a different rally otherwise, more compact.
That doesn’t mean that I don’t like that route.
I would have done exactly the same having the above in mind, and basically I am so happy that the rally is back!!!

atsiotras79
3rd June 2021, 11:30
About the roughness of the rally, I have a feeling the first 3 SS of Friday around Loutraki will play very important role...
Ok, the odd rock (basketball size) may appear everywhere but having seen many of the tests for Turkey here in Greece in 18 and 19, the cars can handle these roads pretty well. This is not the reason for the one pass of the stages...

scn
3rd June 2021, 14:36
Actually the past two or three years several Greek organizers do a very stupid thing. In the past it was not like this. This is a very modern trend. As I saw them doing it in two of the Acropolis stages last week, I will try to describe it. Wherever there is rocky surface they put fine gravel on top of it and then they pass a road-roller on it. During recce it looks fine, you think that you will drive in Finland. But everything changes after the first 7-8 4WD cars have passed. These first cars make big ruts on it, they bring the rocks and the ditches again on the surface and, most important, they mess up the whole road, they put loose gravel everywhere and they also make it utterly impossible to drive out of the racing line. After the first cars, in the racing line there are rocks that cannot be seen easily mixed with loose gravel and out of the racing line the surface is extremely slippery loose gravel that can very easily send you to the nearby trees. This is more stupid and more dangerous than can be imagined, but I am afraid we will see it in this year's Acropolis also.

pantealex
6th June 2021, 08:21

(after Portugal and Sardinia)
I´m still keeping my opinion, others are free to have their own.

AnttiL
6th June 2021, 08:58
Maybe you should look at onboards from Cetibeli in Turkey. Two runs, and mostly only punctures

pantealex
6th June 2021, 17:28
Maybe you should look at onboards from Cetibeli in Turkey. Two runs, and mostly only punctures

I watch my rallies Live not from TV ;)

subarurally
8th June 2021, 23:47
Been following WRC for years and I finally have a chance to see one in person this year in Greece. As I have never been to a WRC event (or Greece) I'm looking for some advice! Snagged an Airbnb in Lamia for Thurs-Sun and have one lined up in Athens for Wed-Fri just in case I need to modify plans. Have a rental car for the whole week.

Looking at the Rally-Maps.com info I'm trying to plan this out in my head.

Thursday:
-Ceremonial Start: 17:45
-SSS1 if possible

Friday: (is this too crazy to pull off?)
-Aghii Theodori 1: 10:18
-Elatia-Zeli: 17:15

Saturday
-Pavliani 1 & 2: 08:33/16:26
or
-Eleftherohori 1 & 2: 13:08/18:08
(I'm assuming there would not be enough time to maybe do Pavliani 1 and then jump over and do Eleftherohori 1 & 2?)

Sunday:
-Tarzan 1 & 2: 17:58/13:18

Looking for any advice. Just trying to maximize my weekend! If your gonna be at the rally I would certainly buy you a beer/coffee :)

atsiotras79
9th June 2021, 04:14
For Thursday we have to wait to announce the SSS1 to see if both CS and SSS1 are doable...
For Friday you might be able to catch also a few cars in SS4 (second run of Ag. Theodoroi) before you leave for Elateia...
For Saturday, first Pavliani and 2 Eleftherohori easily!
For Sunday, ok.

subarurally
9th June 2021, 08:27
For Thursday we have to wait to announce the SSS1 to see if both CS and SSS1 are doable...
For Friday you might be able to catch also a few cars in SS4 (second run of Ag. Theodoroi) before you leave for Elateia...
For Saturday, first Pavliani and 2 Eleftherohori easily!
For Sunday, ok.

That's awesome. Thanks for the advice!

Rallyper
9th June 2021, 09:30
I´ve met each one of you guys personally in Greece and Finland, and I´m pretty sure you´d appreciate try to meet up on the rally. ;)

atsiotras79
9th June 2021, 09:43
Rallyper are you coming?

bomber21
9th June 2021, 10:45
Been following WRC for years and I finally have a chance to see one in person this year in Greece. As I have never been to a WRC event (or Greece) I'm looking for some advice! Snagged an Airbnb in Lamia for Thurs-Sun and have one lined up in Athens for Wed-Fri just in case I need to modify plans. Have a rental car for the whole week.

Looking at the Rally-Maps.com info I'm trying to plan this out in my head.

Thursday:
-Ceremonial Start: 17:45
-SSS1 if possible

Friday: (is this too crazy to pull off?)
-Aghii Theodori 1: 10:18
-Elatia-Zeli: 17:15

Saturday
-Pavliani 1 & 2: 08:33/16:26
or
-Eleftherohori 1 & 2: 13:08/18:08
(I'm assuming there would not be enough time to maybe do Pavliani 1 and then jump over and do Eleftherohori 1 & 2?)

Sunday:
-Tarzan 1 & 2: 17:58/13:18

Looking for any advice. Just trying to maximize my weekend! If your gonna be at the rally I would certainly buy you a beer/coffee :)

This is very doable. I believe you could even have a more optimistic program.

Rallyper
9th June 2021, 15:25
Rallyper are you coming?

Thanks for asking. Unfortenately not. Would have liked to, but it will be Rally Finland if they let me in...
Maybe next if Greece joins the championship. Would be nice.

subarurally
9th June 2021, 23:34
This is very doable. I believe you could even have a more optimistic program.

I may have to reevaluate then. I'm down for attempting to see any and all stages possible!

bomber21
24th June 2021, 09:59
Tonight at 20.00 (Greek time), Minister of Sports will announce everything about Rally Acropolis in an event that will be held in Athens.
There are strong rumors from Greek media about SS1 that it will be a SSS in the centre of the city for the first time ever.

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=el&tl=en&u=https://www.newsauto.gr/races/rali-akropolis-souper-idiki-sto-kentro-tis-athinas/

bomber21
24th June 2021, 20:20
For the first time, SS1 will be a city stage in Athens around Syntagma square.
New big sponsors announced. Also new logo.

New updated website https://www.acropolisrally.gr/portal/el/category-media-gr/nea/genika/116-2021

scn
24th June 2021, 21:25
This is not Acropolis. This is too soft and too short to have this name. I drove through the whole Pavliani stage, which used to be a tough stage. The organizers have put heavy machinery in it and now it is a much softer stage than almost all stages in Sardinia. It is not even an average stage anymore, it is rather soft. They are doing the same in Tarzan. Tarzan used to be the toughest stage outside Kenya. They work on it trying to make it like Finland. This is ridiculous.

bomber21
24th June 2021, 23:37
Yeah, OK. Just don’t watch it and let us enjoy it.

scn
25th June 2021, 05:03
Yeah, OK. Just don’t watch it and let us enjoy it.
It is not a matter of watching Seb, Ott and the other guys. Of course they are there to watch on whatever road they drive. The matter is that this is NOT Acropolis. It does not have the character. All stages have been re-surfaced by road-constructors.

P.S. Last weekend there was a national rally using two of the Acropolis stages. Believe me, it was softer than most Greek sprints. Of course, this is very good for a national rally. National rallies must be soft. But to have the name Acropolis, no. It is not Acropolis.

bomber21
25th June 2021, 06:42
I know, I was in Fthiotidos rally. I watched Pavliani 1 & 2. So we must have met in Pavliani square for coffee or souvlaki! I still saw big rocks surfacing after the first cars. 14 cars retired!

What I am trying to say is that sometimes we must get rid of nostalgia and memories and go on.

Come one, we lost Acropolis Rally for 8 years and now we have it again! We have new people working on this, we have full government’s backing, new big sponsors. We are going to enjoy these wonderful cars for the last time not only in SS but under Acropolis monument as well. We had none of these the previous years.People are working for the rally and promote it like never before. Let’s be happy and enjoy it!

pantealex
25th June 2021, 07:27
What I am trying to say is that sometimes we must get rid of nostalgia and memories and go on.

Come one, we lost Acropolis Rally for 8 years and now we have it again! We have new people working on this, we have full government’s backing, new big sponsors. We are going to enjoy these wonderful cars for the last time not only in SS but under Acropolis monument as well. We had none of these the previous years.People are working for the rally and promote it like never before. Let’s be happy and enjoy it!

That´s right attitude!

People should be happy to get WRC in their country or near by.

Tom K
25th June 2021, 10:02
Acropolis is not only about roughness. It's about people, landscapes, morning ice frappe and souvlaki! Can't get wait.

bomber21
25th June 2021, 10:23
Acropolis is not only about roughness. It's about people, landscapes, morning ice frappe and souvlaki! Can't get wait.
Exactly but frappe has been replaced by freddo espresso! Should you visit us for Acropolis Rally, you will see everyone caring one! Try it! ;)

MentalParadox
25th June 2021, 10:36
The next spectacle sacrificed on this society's altar of "safety" and "comfort", all justified with the same old wishy-washy sentence: "We must move on". No, we do not "have to" move on. Time is not a person who votes on things. Time does not set the rules. People do. We can choose to keep things we consider valuable. The old "wisdom" that things "must" change is a myth. Why change something that isn't broken? And why is it always replaced with something inferior? Why is the trend in rallying for shorter and shorter rallies, shorter stages, softer stages, slower cars, etc? Who wants this? Ask around among the fans, and tell me there is widespread support for these trends. There isn't.

bomber21
25th June 2021, 10:50

Who wants this? .
Manufacturers do.

Googol
25th June 2021, 11:08
shorter stages

There is no such trend.

slower cars

Nor this.

PLuto
25th June 2021, 12:27
As you can see, current rallysport is more about speed than endurance. It is more and more closer to rallysprint...

macebig
25th June 2021, 12:44
Gosh, it's nearly 3 months away. The roads will change 100 times until then, especially since tourism will be in full swing pretty soon, and the usual early September rains will surface every rock that has now been smoothened. The SSS in Syntagma should be huge spectacle if political bullshit doesn't interfere. Would have liked to see it start slightly later, so cars can run with the sun setting in the backdrop.

Yugo_para_siempre
25th June 2021, 12:52
I did not expect an Acropolis with very smooth stages.

But even if stages are smoother, or much smoother, than the past, I will not be disappointed.

As said from others, also for me, Acropolis is much more than rough stages, punctures and broken suspensions.

It is the variety of landscapes and especially the beauty of high altitude - mountainous landscapes, in combination with slippery conditions and sideways passes from world's top drivers.
It is the sun, the heat and the dust.
It is the fan of having the excursion, driving your car at the mountains along with good friends.
It is the really nice food.

bomber21
25th June 2021, 13:50
Looking what is happening during FIRST day of Rally Safari where almost everyone has retired or has huge problems, I feel better that Rally Acropolis will be a bit smoother. :D

scn
25th June 2021, 15:44
I know, I was in Fthiotidos rally. I watched Pavliani 1 & 2. So we must have met in Pavliani square for coffee or souvlaki! I still saw big rocks surfacing after the first cars. 14 cars retired!

I agree with the last paragraph.
I disagree about the nostalgia. It is not nostalgia. It is an opinion that Acropolis MUST NOT become Portugal, Argentina or Spain (Sardinia is already much rougher, anyway). It must not become "just another sprint rally". Besides losing its character, this poses a certain danger that it will permanently lose its place in WRC, replaced by Turkey or Cyprus, because WRC needs to have one endurance event in Europe, for diversity reasons.

P.S. None of the retirements last Sunday was because of rough roads. The majority retired because of inadequate preparation and some because of driver's or co-driver's mistakes because the organizer forbitted recce for many days.

scn
25th June 2021, 15:47
Looking what is happening during FIRST day of Rally Safari where almost everyone has retired or has huge problems, I feel better that Rally Acropolis will be a bit smoother. :D

Until now, Evans, Sordo and Ogier had trouble or retired solely because they hit an object out of the road. None of these trouble was because of road roughness.

atsiotras79
25th June 2021, 22:21
If you think Acropolis will be light and smooth you are fooled...
it will have its character even with the shorter route...

scn
26th June 2021, 05:03
If you think Acropolis will be light and smooth you are fooled...
it will have its character even with the shorter route...

I drove on Sunday on these two Acropolis stages. Both of these roads have been fully re-constructed in many places and they are not the same as they were. The only things that are the same are the scenery and the name.
To give an accurate picture, the main characteristic of Pavlini before re-construction was that its uphill section, up to the 8th km, was full of stones planted in the road that made it very hard to drive and the downhill section was full of big dips and water-trenches that could break the car or send it to the trees. The stage was really tough and the driver had to protect the car in both these sections in many places. These do not exist any more. On Sunday, the planted stone sections were no more than 50 m and there was not even one water-trench. The driving, even with only one pass in recce, was without the slightest need for protection. It was a very smooth and light rally, much smoother than Sparti sprint or old Amaliada sprint.
As I have been informed, the same re-construction is happening to Tarzan and the other stages. If this information is correct, then it is not Acropolis. At least, 2021 Pavliani and Pirgos are not.

P.S. It happens that I have participated in three Acropolis in the past and watched thirty and so maybe I can tell the difference.

WRC1
26th June 2021, 05:46
I drove on Sunday on these two Acropolis stages. Both of these roads have been fully re-constructed in many places and they are not the same as they were. The only things that are the same are the scenery and the name.
To give an accurate picture, the main characteristic of Pavlini before re-construction was that its uphill section, up to the 8th km, was full of stones planted in the road that made it very hard to drive and the downhill section was full of big dips and water-trenches that could brake the car or send it to the trees. The stage was really tough and the driver had to protect the car in both these sections in many places. These do not exist any more. On Sunday, the planted stone sections were no more than 50 m and there was not even one water-trench. The driving, even with only one pass in recce, was without the slightest need for protection. It was a very smooth and light rally, much smoother than Sparti sprint or old Amaliada sprint.
As I have been informed, the same re-construction is happening to Tarzan and the other stages. If this information is correct, then it is not Acropolis. At least, 2021 Pavliani and Pirgos are not.

P.S. It happens that I have participated in three Acropolis in the past and watched thirty and so maybe I can tell the difference.

mimimimimi.....STOP moaning! I would be more than happy if WRC comes to my Country NO matter on wich roads! Be happy that Grecce is part of the WRC again, or stay away from the rallye, sit at home and watch Vides from your good old days...

scn
26th June 2021, 05:55
mimimimimi.....STOP moaning! I would be more than happy if WRC comes to my Country NO matter on wich roads! Be happy that Grecce is part of the WRC again, or stay away from the rallye, sit at home and watch Vides from your good old days...

Read again what I wrote and fix your attitude, especially when not face to face.

atsiotras79
26th June 2021, 18:05
I also passed these days from a couple of stages (not the ones used in the last rally) and the picture is good old Acropolis... I guess the machinery haven’t passed from there but even if they pass still things won’t be easy!

Ps: I have been in the last 15 Acropolis and also I am involved in the last 10 years from a position that surface is key component... 😉

scn
27th June 2021, 04:15
I also passed these days from a couple of stages (not the ones used in the last rally) and the picture is good old Acropolis... I guess the machinery haven’t passed from there but even if they pass still things won’t be easy!

I hope you are right. The past 15 years machinery was used in many stages. But it was only for repair, to make roads passable. This year is the first time I saw re-construction and the use of road-roller.

subarurally
27th June 2021, 21:55
As I have never been to a WRC event before, any idea if the rallypass system will be the same for Greece as it is for example Estonia? (Regular pass with limited stages, VIP pass with service access etc?) If so,think it's worth the high cost of VIP to get access to service park etc? Or any advice on which stages to focus on for a pass? (I know it's still a bit away and rallypasses are not listed yet but trying to plan the best I can) Love all the discussion and assistance on this forum!!

NOT
27th June 2021, 21:56
As I have never been to a WRC event before, any idea if the rallypass system will be the same for Greece as it is for example Estonia? (Regular pass with limited stages, VIP pass with service access etc?) If so,think it's worth the high cost of VIP to get access to service park etc? Or any advice on which stages to focus on for a pass? (I know it's still a bit away and rallypasses are not listed yet but trying to plan the best I can) Love all the discussion and assistance on this forum!!

access to the stages is free in Greece.

AnttiL
28th June 2021, 06:01
I would like to remind people who say "2021 Acropolis won't be real Acropolis" that Acropolis was partly an asphalt event until the mid 80's. Also, in addition to rough roads, the big challenge was that the road sections were timed so tightly that basically everyone got road penalties. This added the element of car reliability: the less you had to service, the higher you would finish. However, this was already fixed for the 90's and it's still been a tough event.

NOT
28th June 2021, 11:49
people who say acropolis is not acropolis should try and become men, being a crying woman is ok, but being a man is better.

bomber21
2nd July 2021, 08:19
Details about SSS in the centre of the city

https://www-acropolisrally-gr.translate.goog/portal/el/theates/cosmote-city-stage-gr?_x_tr_sl=el&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=el&_x_tr_pto=ajax,nv,elem

The rally cars will stay overnight on Syntagma square (parc ferme).

bomber21
3rd July 2021, 15:41
Video of Rally Acropolis 2021 shakedown stage https://youtu.be/JSTr-d1qFdo

Rally Hokkaido
4th July 2021, 09:36
people who say acropolis is not acropolis should try and become men, being a crying woman is ok, but being a man is better.

Wow, so many likes! I think they are not for the comment, but for the tone of the comment. Members must be nostalgic for those sick village team dog type comments, lol.

Vaggelis27
4th July 2021, 09:58
Anyone to know about tests in Greece???

dimviii
7th July 2021, 14:47
Serderidis livery for Acropolis

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E5sz6GCX0AIY6HG?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

bomber21
7th July 2021, 18:42
WOW! Impressive! I knew that Jourdan would celebrate Acropolis return to WRC!

dimviii
7th July 2021, 19:17
and a front one

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E5tvJJuWQAEcdvw?format=jpg&name=large

NOT
7th July 2021, 21:52
Wow, so many likes! I think they are not for the comment, but for the tone of the comment. Members must be nostalgic for those sick village team dog type comments, lol.

they just missed their Dear Leader... thats all.

cali
8th July 2021, 04:53
they just missed their Dear Leader... thats all.Ofc we did!

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk

bomber21
13th July 2021, 08:59
Anyone knows where the shakedown will be?

Antonis9
13th July 2021, 09:06

Yes !! At village Divri !! Also the Power stage Tarzan has been extended !! It’s 23 km now

NOT
13th July 2021, 11:57

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSTr-d1qFdo

not very interesting but at least has some nice hairpins for all the subhumans and the pro photographers to gather and leave the rest of the spectators with a functional brain alone.

the sniper
13th July 2021, 15:20

not very interesting but at least has some nice hairpins for all the subhumans and the pro photographers to gather and leave the rest of the spectators with a functional brain alone.

He's still got it... :D

bomber21
14th July 2021, 11:43
Yes !! At village Divri !! Also the Power stage Tarzan has been extended !! It’s 23 km now
Thank you! See you at Rally Corinthos in 2 weeks? Any news there for WRC entries as a test for Acropolis?

Thank you! I will try to be there to watch the shakedown.

Antonis9
14th July 2021, 12:10
Thank you! See you at Rally Corinthos in 2 weeks? Any news there for WRC entries as a test for Acropolis?

Thank you! I will try to be there to watch the shakedown.

I don’t know my friend !! I will try !! I want free days for acropolis and I don’t know yet !!

Vaggelis27
18th July 2021, 19:12
bomber i think we'll see some suprises in 2 weeks at Korinthos rally..

bomber21
18th July 2021, 21:02
WRC entries?

Vaggelis27
19th July 2021, 11:06
Rally 2 entries!

bomber21
19th July 2021, 13:12
OK! Soon we will know!!
———————————

“Greece is the next one on the calendar but I will not go there if we don’t solve these issues."

@MadsOstberg finished a strong second in WRC2 on #RallyEstonia, but a variety of issues with his Citroën C3 Rally2 has him concerned”

https://t.co/PxAhoJd6uT

scn
19th July 2021, 16:16

Do you have an argument to what I said about roads fixed for the first time by road-rollers? If you have, say it. If you do not have, stop being a speechless, obsessed, uncivilized coward trying to avoid arguments by insults. Insulting is a way for avoiding conversation by anyone stupid enough to think that this has any effect. It does not.
To the point: Any rally that has roads fixed by road rollers is not a tough rally. Pavliani and the last 20km of Pyrgos used in the last national rally had all their tough parts fixed by road rollers and were softer than any rally I have done or watched in the past 33 years. The same applies to Tarzan, a road roller fixed the whole stage and transformed the toughest stage in Europe to a Finnish road. If anyone thinks that roads fixed by road rollers is the character of Acropolis, probably he has hasn't watched Acropolis or was stoned while watching it.

NOT
19th July 2021, 18:56
I prefer to see flat out action that see drivers swerving to avoid stones and having stupid retirements...

times change old man, the option of the home couch is always there, crying is pathetic....

we did not have a proper rally in 9 years. Its like being stranded in the desert and someone offers you water and you whine like a little girl because its tap water instead of bottled Perrier.

get with the times or stay away... old people are a waste of space... first you (old people in general) cried because the rallies were not 146 days long... then you cried because the cars did not sound like washing machines with nails in them... then you cried because we did not have 3 finishers in 287 entires... then you cried because stages did not cover the whole country... if you do not like it do not support it,

nobody is forcing you to see something you do not like... there is always tennis for you if the tears do not let you enjoy the sport.

bomber21
20th July 2021, 07:19
This is how a part of an Acropolis SS (Bauxites) looks like now
https://youtu.be/QDtYg_U_jAM

Tom K
20th July 2021, 08:32
It's looking good :) Is the beginning of the stage still on this "red" gravel?

AnttiL
20th July 2021, 09:40
To me that looks like proper Acropolis, similar surface as in Turkey recently

dimviii
20th July 2021, 14:40
It's looking good :) Is the beginning of the stage still on this "red" gravel?

this ''red gravel'' is bauxite.
At Greek ''Βωξιτες''

atsiotras79
20th July 2021, 20:01
The video on YouTube above shows the part of stage from around km 4 until it meets the tarmac part and heads into the Karoutes part of the stage. Before that from start just outside Itea until km 4 will be one of the most spectacular parts of the rally and if you walk-climb a bit, you can have very good panoramic view for long distance... The part on the video is a very fast and narrow road with a lot of stones but I have a feeling after the machinery pass from there it will become flat out...

scn
21st July 2021, 17:13
I prefer to see flat out action that see drivers swerving to avoid stones and having stupid retirements...

times change old man, the option of the home couch is always there, crying is pathetic....

we did not have a proper rally in 9 years. Its like being stranded in the desert and someone offers you water and you whine like a little girl because its tap water instead of bottled Perrier.

get with the times or stay away... old people are a waste of space... first you (old people in general) cried because the rallies were not 146 days long... then you cried because the cars did not sound like washing machines with nails in them... then you cried because we did not have 3 finishers in 287 entires... then you cried because stages did not cover the whole country... if you do not like it do not support it,

nobody is forcing you to see something you do not like... there is always tennis for you if the tears do not let you enjoy the sport.

Thank you for presenting your argument.
Let me complete mine. As you know, this Acropolis is done by a totally different organizing body than all previous ones, appointed by the government. This new organizer on specific stages (Pavliani, Pirgos, Tarzan) has decided to follow your "flat road" philosophy by putting a road-roller and making them completely flat. This is done for the first time. At least I have never seen it since 1986 that I am watching, nor in the three Acropolis I have participated. On other stages until now they have not done it (Ag. Theodori, Loutraki, Eleftherohori). As I just came back from recce on the first two of them, I can tell that these are fixed the old way without being "rolled", so they will be as they were.
Personally, I disagree with this new organizer and I prefer Acropolis to remain as it was, so I do not want road-rollers. Not only because this is its traditional character, but because if we change it to "just another flat rally", I am afraid we will lose it permanently. You are not the only Greek that has this "flat road" philosophy, my co-driver has the same as you and we have had this argument lots of times. Time will tell which of these two opinions is more effective for the survival of the rally.

P.S.1 The truly extraordinary spectacle is on fast bad sections (5th and 6th gear). The fast sections on "hell roads" like the downhill of Agia Sotira, last part of Vari, EIeftherohori after the 2nd lake and several others offer spectacle "out of this world" that you cannot see anywhere else. You can see the same level of "extra-terrestrial" things as you can see in Finland or Poland, and I dare say even higher.

P.S.2 I do not know about old people, I am not yet. But I do know that young ones are absent from Greek rallying, except of two or three with rich dads that used to be rally drivers. Young Greeks prefer dragster, drifting and "facebooking". So, if old people are considered a "waste of space", as you say, and they leave to "open up space", I am afraid that Greek rallying will collapse to non-existence in one single day. Just because young Greeks prefer much safer activities these days than they used to. So, I suggest you leave old ones in their space.

scn
21st July 2021, 17:28
The video on YouTube above shows the part of stage from around km 4 until it meets the tarmac part and heads into the Karoutes part of the stage. Before that from start just outside Itea until km 4 will be one of the most spectacular parts of the rally and if you walk-climb a bit, you can have very good panoramic view for long distance... The part on the video is a very fast and narrow road with a lot of stones but I have a feeling after the machinery pass from there it will become flat out...
Bauxites is a very bad road since the floods of 2018. Actually, its last part is a river now, not a road. It used to be the most flat stage in Acropolis, now it is the worst. If they leave it as it is, which is something I do not believe.

NOT
21st July 2021, 20:08
Thank you for presenting your argument.
Let me complete mine. As you know, this Acropolis is done by a totally different organizing body than all previous ones, appointed by the government. This new organizer on specific stages (Pavliani, Pirgos, Tarzan) has decided to follow your "flat road" philosophy by putting a road-roller and making them completely flat. This is done for the first time. At least I have never seen it since 1986 that I am watching, nor in the three Acropolis I have participated. On other stages until now they have not done it (Ag. Theodori, Loutraki, Eleftherohori). As I just came back from recce on the first two of them, I can tell that these are fixed the old way without being "rolled", so they will be as they were.
Personally, I disagree with this new organizer and I prefer Acropolis to remain as it was, so I do not want road-rollers. Not only because this is its traditional character, but because if we change it to "just another flat rally", I am afraid we will lose it permanently. You are not the only Greek that has this "flat road" philosophy, my co-driver has the same as you and we have had this argument lots of times. Time will tell which of these two opinions is more effective for the survival of the rally.

P.S.1 The truly extraordinary spectacle is on fast bad sections (5th and 6th gear). The fast sections on "hell roads" like the downhill of Agia Sotira, last part of Vari, EIeftherohori after the 2nd lake and several others offer spectacle "out of this world" that you cannot see anywhere else. You can see the same level of "extra-terrestrial" things as you can see in Finland or Poland, and I dare say even higher.

P.S.2 I do not know about old people, I am not yet. But I do know that young ones are absent from Greek rallying, except of two or three with rich dads that used to be rally drivers. Young Greeks prefer dragster, drifting and "facebooking". So, if old people are considered a "waste of space", as you say, and they leave to "open up space", I am afraid that Greek rallying will collapse to non-existence in one single day. Just because young Greeks prefer much safer activities these days than they used to. So, I suggest you leave old ones in their space.

We have different points of view... the old organisers organised the rally around their personal pockets though.

we will see how these will do.

As for the young greek drivers... what do you expect ? its a balkan country with no rally philosophy and subhuman culture... even greek rally drivers are not rally drivers... they are some overweight slobs that are a disgrace to the human anatomy and not athletes as they should be... same goes for the speactators... just take a look how many are gathered at hairpins just to see handbrake turns like some bottom feeding supine invertebrate jellies.

but thats another story.

Franky
21st July 2021, 20:27
As for the young greek drivers... what do you expect ? its a balkan country with no rally philosophy and subhuman culture... even greek rally drivers are not rally drivers... they are some overweight slobs that are a disgrace to the human anatomy and not athletes as they should be... same goes for the speactators... just take a look how many are gathered at hairpins just to see handbrake turns like some bottom feeding supine invertebrate jellies.

but thats another story.

I read it, smirked and then thought what would remain, if all the NOTism would be omitted.

Maybe something like this?

"As for the young Greek drivers... It's a balkan country with no rally philosophy, Greek rally drivers are not fit athletes. And spectators, they just gather at hairpins to look at handbrake turns."

NOT
21st July 2021, 20:31
I read it, smirked and then thought what would remain, if all the NOTism would be omitted.

Maybe something like this?

"As for the young Greek drivers... It's a balkan country with no rally philosophy, Greek rally drivers are not fit athletes. And spectators, they just gather at hairpins to look at handbrake turns."

but then i would be just like everybody else in here, a flavourless robot... not your cherished god emperor.

I am not like everybody else.

Do not worry i will not polute any other threads and once acropolis is over i am out once more.

atsiotras79
21st July 2021, 20:57
The Bauxites part that is shown in the video is only 3-4 kms of probably the best stage this year, and after the machinery this part will be again flat out...

The part I am a bit considered (I checked it 15 days ago) is the part you mention in Eleftherohori from the second lake until 2-3 kms before the end in Mendenitsa... there is no gravel left there in some parts... only rocks... I had a tough time passing even with 4x4, I had to be very careful...

Franky
22nd July 2021, 06:10
but then i would be just like everybody else in here, a flavourless robot... not your cherished god emperor.

I am not like everybody else.

Do not worry i will not polute any other threads and once acropolis is over i am out once more.

True.

Your posts aren't bothering me. Just thought what would the posts look like without the super flavour NOT.

AnttiL
26th July 2021, 19:53
https://www.rally-maps.com/Fthiotidos-Rally-2021
https://www.rally-maps.com/Rally-Korinthou-2021

These local rallies contain four of the Acropolis stages (Aghii Theodori, Loutraki, Pavliani and Pyrgos). In Finland it would be outrageous to have a local rally on a Rally Finland stage before it...Pavliani was repaired smooth because of this local rally?

NOT
26th July 2021, 23:55

These local rallies contain four of the Acropolis stages (Aghii Theodori, Loutraki, Pavliani and Pyrgos). In Finland it would be outrageous to have a local rally on a Rally Finland stage before it...Pavliani was repaired smooth because of this local rally?

Greek rally drivers are laughable... they need these rallies so they do not get ridiculed by village tourists that will be there... and given all the illegal recce they will do before the event they might have a good chance not to be ridiculed that much...

imagine that hamburger boy Serderidis is considered a good rally driver by greek rally reporters...

The only thing funnier than greek rally drivers are finnish rally fans waiting for a finnish rally champion again... lol

er88
27th July 2021, 00:49
Greek rally drivers are laughable... they need these rallies so they do not get ridiculed by village tourists that will be there... and given all the illegal recce they will do before the event they might have a good chance not to be ridiculed that much...

imagine that hamburger boy Serderidis is considered a good rally driver by greek rally reporters...

The only thing funnier than greek rally drivers are finnish rally fans waiting for a finnish rally champion again... lolCalling Serderidis hamburger boy is an insult to the main man Duval.

Francois could at least drive properly in the first place

bomber21
28th July 2021, 10:39

Rally Corinth will be held without spectators (or at least this is what the announcement says).
I am wondering what kind of protocol prohibits watching a rally in an OPEN SPACE while there are no other restrictions in Greece in open spaces? Millions of people are gathered each weekend on the beaches but we cannot watch a rally IN A FOREST??
What is the problem with these people?!!

So if a rally that attracts 1/100 of spectators of Acropolis rally in the middle of the summer and uses some of Acropolis SS is held without spectators, that means that Acropolis Rally that will be held in the beginning of autumn will also be held without spectators???

NOT
28th July 2021, 13:01
Rally Corinth will be held without spectators (or at least this is what the announcement says).
I am wondering what kind of protocol prohibits watching a rally in an OPEN SPACE while there are no other restrictions in Greece in open spaces? Millions of people are gathered each weekend on the beaches but we cannot watch a rally IN A FOREST??
What is the problem with these people?!!

So if a rally that attracts 1/100 of spectators of Acropolis rally in the middle of the summer and uses some of Acropolis SS is held without spectators, that means that Acropolis Rally that will be held in the beginning of autumn will also be held without spectators???

well you can always go for a pic nic in the stages... no need to tell anyone that you are there for a rally.

MartijnS
28th July 2021, 13:06
We still have to book our flights. Are you expecting any troubles for spectators or should it not be any issue? :)

bomber21
28th July 2021, 13:38
well you can always go for a pic nic in the stages... no need to tell anyone that you are there for a rally.

This is what I am going to do and I hope it will work. I will be frustrated to wake up at 5 in the morning, drive 100kms and then to be stopped by a local policeman…

We still have to book our flights. Are you expecting any troubles for spectators or should it not be any issue? :)

I want to believe that Acropolis Rally organisers are smart enough not to impose any restrictions. They have heavily invested to this year’s rally and they need spectators.

NOT
28th July 2021, 14:24
I want to believe that Acropolis Rally organisers are smart enough not to impose any restrictions. They have heavily invested to this year’s rally and they need spectators.

they won't... but most importantly they can't.

its rally.... its not some woke F1 event for sick dogs where you have to kneel to enter the race track...

scn
30th July 2021, 03:48
Pavliani was repaired smooth because of this local rally?

No, it was made smooth because of Acropolis. The local organizers do not have the money to do such resurfacing. Acropolis for the first time is organized by an organizing body appointed by the government. And it will remain so, in an effort to have the funds to keep the rally. They resurfaced it completely before the local rally and they will do some small repair before Acropolis.

And this a video of how Tarzan looks after the resurfacing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJmegeHmkaA
It will not be like this after the first pass, but it will still be very far from what it was in the past. This used to be the toughest stage in Europe, together with Agia Sotira. Only some Safari sections could match these two stages.

By the way, there is some information that Tarzan will not be done because there is no view of the cars from the helicopter for a long part of the stage, due to the trees. The resurfacing has stopped and there are talks of changing the Sunday route.

scn
30th July 2021, 03:59

If Greece continues to be orange and red in ECDC map, it is unlikely that spectators will be allowed. BUT, the Greek protocol for motorsport says that no spectators are allowed in the stage 3 hours before the first car. And this is what the police does in hillclimbs, where there are normally many spectators. They close all accesses to hillclimbs 3 hours before the start. So I just go 3,5 hours before the first car and there is no problem. As a matter of fact, it is much better because there are very few spectators and you can sit wherever you want.
In Acropolis, the best thing to do is to bring a tent and put it on Thursday night for the two Agioi Theodoroi, on Friday night for the two Pavliani or two Eleftherohori and on Saturday night for the two Tarzan (if it will not be changed). If you stay in a hotel and try to come to the stages in the morning, I am afraid you will end up on some beach.

AnttiL
30th July 2021, 06:34
By the way, there is some information that Tarzan will not be done because there is no view of the cars from the helicopter for a long part of the stage, due to the trees. The resurfacing has stopped and there are talks of changing the Sunday route.

The TV crew does have some power over the route. For example in Catalunya 2019 the power stage was reversed after RG2 was published, and this was the reason.

bomber21
30th July 2021, 07:06
If Greece continues to be orange and red in ECDC map, it is unlikely that spectators will be allowed. BUT, the Greek protocol for motorsport says that no spectators are allowed in the stage 3 hours before the first car. And this is what the police does in hillclimbs, where there are normally many spectators. They close all accesses to hillclimbs 3 hours before the start. So I just go 3,5 hours before the first car and there is no problem. As a matter of fact, it is much better because there are very few spectators and you can sit wherever you want.
In Acropolis, the best thing to do is to bring a tent and put it on Thursday night for the two Agioi Theodoroi, on Friday night for the two Pavliani or two Eleftherohori and on Saturday night for the two Tarzan (if it will not be changed). If you stay in a hotel and try to come to the stages in the morning, I am afraid you will end up on some beach.

It is madness to go to the stages 3,5 hours before the first car pass. It is so boring to just sit in the forest for so long looking at the sky… And to be honest, this is not a way to attract new fans and a very bad thing for this sport.

I have been to three countries to watch rallies abroad. Always I was getting up very early in the morning and always I was there on time and always I found a spot and watch the stage. If I cannot do the same in Acropolis (as I did all previous years) and if I have to camp overnight, I prefer to stay home and stop watching this ridiculous thing.

EstWRC
30th July 2021, 07:15
It is madness to go to the stages 3,5 hours before the first car pass. It is so boring to just sit in the forest for so long looking at the sky… And to be honest, this is not a way to attract new fans and a very bad thing for this sport. .

what? we do that on Rally Finland every year, ok maybe not 3.5 hours but 2-2.5 hours definitely.

bomber21
30th July 2021, 07:49
I know. I also do that. But not 3,5.

TypeR
30th July 2021, 08:10
I thought true hardcore fans (who don't watch in certain group areas) could be in the forrest days before and after rally cars..

cali
30th July 2021, 10:20
what? we do that on Rally Finland every year, ok maybe not 3.5 hours but 2-2.5 hours definitely.Sweden, Finland and Spain I have had the pleasure of arriving 0,5-1 h before the start. So far haven't had any major issues with it. Ofc route planning is the key and usually I don't try to spectate all of the stages. I think I have experience major traffic issues about 5 times - once in Spain 2018 on sunday morning on the mountains, once in Colin's Crest (not going there ever again, quite boring place to me), once in Sweden 2005 when the ticket sales people didn't really understand where they are and we had to walk about 4,5 km (we arrived to the spot just in time) and couple of times in Finland, I think once it was Ouninpohja stage in the Kakaristo (surprise, surprise...) intersection probably in 2002.

NOT
30th July 2021, 10:52
I thought true hardcore fans (who don't watch in certain group areas) could be in the forrest days before and after rally cars..

No... only inbread english/welsh fans do that...

normal people without any mental issues just arrive very early to the stage they want to spectate.

scn
30th July 2021, 13:26
It is madness to go to the stages 3,5 hours before the first car pass.

I know. But this is the Covid protocol issued by the Ministry of Sports. In the two last hillclimbs I went (Ritsona and Kimi) the police closed all access roads at 7:00 am and the first car was at 10:00. It is the first time I watch these two hillclimbs with only my friends around. Usually there are thousands of spectators in them. It was strange to be alone but, to be honest, we liked it.

Antonis9
30th July 2021, 13:47
I know. But this is the Covid protocol issued by the Ministry of Sports. In the two last hillclimbs I went (Ritsona and Kimi) the police closed all access roads at 7:00 am and the first car was at 10:00. It is the first time I watch these two hillclimbs with only my friends around. Usually there are thousands of spectators in them. It was strange to be alone but, to be honest, we liked it.
I saw rally fthiotidos in ss pavliani ! Police was there 30 min before the first car an no one say something to us !!

bomber21
30th July 2021, 22:20
Driving SS Tarzan (as of yesterday)
https://youtu.be/EJmegeHmkaA

scn
31st July 2021, 11:26
I saw rally fthiotidos in ss pavliani ! Police was there 30 min before the first car an no one say something to us !!
I know. The same was in Ipirotiko and as far as I know the same will do tomorrow the rally Korinthos organizer. Some organizers choose to violate these rules and, in my opinion, they do well. But I doubt that Acropolis organizer will be among the ones that violate them.

cruzepilot
1st August 2021, 22:57
Thanks to all for prividing info so far.

I am looking at doing this camping style as well. Curious as to if anyone had any recommendations for a place that rents lil 4x4 type rigs, or would a lil hatchback rental be able to conquer the roads after ruts have been thrown into them.

I read that backcountry camping / car camping is illegal, but rarely enforced. I take it that as long as you don't act like a doofus everyone is ok with it?

bomber21
1st August 2021, 23:30
I read that backcountry camping / car camping is illegal, but rarely enforced. I take it that as long as you don't act like a doofus everyone is ok with it?
This is true. Most probably you will have no problems. For example, my friends used to sleep in the car or in a small tent in SS Eleftherohori (Kallidromo mountain) each year and they never faced any problems.

dimviii
2nd August 2021, 14:05

The leader of the Acropolis Rally, Anita Pasali, speaking to "Zougla.gr" puts an end to the scenarios that state that the special route of the Acropolis Rally "Tarzan" has been canceled.

Rumors that the FIA canceled the special route of "Tarzan" because they had no visibility were spread by irresponsible people. In fact, some reported that the FIA considered it a dangerous route, so it canceled it.

Because such a thing could not have happened because the special route set by the race leader ANITA PASALI had been approved by the FIA, which oversees the World Rally Championship, we considered that there was a misunderstanding and bad information.

We spoke with Anita Pasali, who has the main responsibility of the fight. She laughed when she heard it.
"Not only was it not cut but it will be done twice. "Just because it is also the Power Stage, which is shorter in length, they got confused there and said that it was cut ..."

The Commander of the Acropolis Rally made the following clarifications.
The special "Tarzan" of the Acropolis Rally in the morning will start from the road opposite the "House of the Nature Lover". It has a length of 23.37 kilometers.
At noon at 13.18 the Power Stage will start ten kilometers through the morning special route of "Tarzan" of 23.37 kilometers. That is, the second time the Power Stage that has a length of 12.68 km will start from 13.37 km of the morning route.

Anita Pasali also clarified that the reason why the special route of "Tarzan" as a Power Stage is shorter is because the TV time is specific and all the cars that will have reached the finish line should be covered.

https://www.zougla.gr/automoto/racing/wrc/article/i-anita-pasali-vazi-telos-sta-senaria-akirosis-tis-idikis-tou-tarzan

cruzepilot
2nd August 2021, 17:52
This is true. Most probably you will have no problems. For example, my friends used to sleep in the car or in a small tent in SS Eleftherohori (Kallidromo mountain) each year and they never faced any problems.

Awesome thanks for the info!

bomber21
4th August 2021, 11:53
Tanak, Neuville and Sordo will be in the i20 WRC for Acropolis!

dimviii
4th August 2021, 14:46
Oliver Solberg
@OliverSolberg01

Exciting news today as after the @ypresrally
, I'll get another opportunity in the new @HMSGOfficial
i20 N Rally2 at the legendary @AcropolisRally
!

bomber21
4th August 2021, 15:10
Oliver Solberg
@OliverSolberg01

Exciting news today as after the @ypresrally
, I'll get another opportunity in the new @HMSGOfficial
i20 N Rally2 at the legendary @AcropolisRally
!
Along with Huttunen!

mknight
4th August 2021, 15:51
Solberg is no surprise as he has to drive every single one of the remaining rallies to get full number of WRC2 starts.

Huttunen is a bit more since he can drop one, but given what rallies were left and the fact he has to drive Japan as overseas round after dropping Safari the choice was to drop one of Greece, Finland and Spain. Not surprisingly it looks like the dropped event will be Spain.

Anyway should be good WRC2 competition in Greece. Unlike Ypres and likely also unlike Spain.

Tom K
5th August 2021, 11:10
Do I understand correctly? They asked COMPETITORS to avoid rally route? https://twitter.com/AcropolisRally/status/1423220634490900482

macebig
5th August 2021, 11:42
No. Because of widespread fires around Greece, competitors are discouraged from doing recce during this time of very high temperatures with a big chance of forest fires.

AnttiL
5th August 2021, 12:04
Competitors shouldn’t be doing recce now anyway. Maybe other team members.

macebig
5th August 2021, 12:09
Nobody can stop local crews from running recce anytime, as long as they are careful to avoid traffic code injuctions.

Tom K
5th August 2021, 12:24
Rules should stop them. You cannot be on the route of WRC round...

denkimi
5th August 2021, 15:05
it's nearly impossible to stop that, especially so long before the rally.

NOT
5th August 2021, 16:53
Rules should stop them. You cannot be on the route of WRC round...

this is greece not some civilised western country... how do you expect the local crews to be 5 mins slower than their foreign competitors instead of 10 mins ?

cheating in greece is common practice... it was so common in local rallies that the greek motorsport association changed the rules a few years back and allowed unlimited passes through the stages.

dimviii
11th August 2021, 16:22
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E8g_iM4WEA4j2h4?format=jpg&name=medium
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E8g_iNAWEAERxZH?format=jpg&name=medium
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E8g_iNKX0AYG7nS?format=jpg&name=medium
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E8g_iNZX0A4w8uE?format=jpg&name=medium

bomber21
11th August 2021, 16:54
Nice to see Athanassoulas back with such a good car!

He is also the first privateer to drive the new Hyundai.

pantealex
11th August 2021, 18:51
Nice to see Athanassoulas back with such a good car!

He is also the first privateer to drive the new Hyundai.

Well, Huttunen is using Privateer teams car in Ypres.

But his entry is made by Hyundai Motorsport N.

https://www.ewrc-results.com/carinfo/156-hyundai-i20-n-rally2/?car=5581

AnttiL
11th August 2021, 18:54
Well, Huttunen is using Privateer teams car in Ypres.

But his entry is made by Hyundai Motorsport N.

https://www.ewrc-results.com/carinfo/156-hyundai-i20-n-rally2/?car=5581

Huttunen is also a part of the Hyundai WRC2 team.

Vaggelis27
11th August 2021, 18:57
Again the first.He was also the first with privateer with fabia r5 on gravel.

bomber21
13th August 2021, 18:52
Entry list will be announced on Monday. Hopefully with spectators allowed. Hopefully……

subarurally
14th August 2021, 12:54
Yeah I'm hoping. Probably my only chance to see a WRC event. I'll pay somebody with private property to watch from on or near one of the stages if I have to!

bomber21
14th August 2021, 13:02
I contacted the organizers yesterday and they replied they cannot block access to the mountains… But they were very strict saying that we should behave because it would be catastrophic for the future of the rally if a stage will be cancelled because of the spectators.
So even if they announce it will be without spectators, it will be “without spectators”.

subarurally
14th August 2021, 22:36
Well that's good. Hopefully everyone behaves. I'm coming from USA but plan on masking the whole time, am fully vaccinated and understand the etiquette for where to spectate safely for rallies.. hopefully everyone else does the same. I'd hate to see stages shut down because people act like idiots.

bomber21
14th August 2021, 22:45
Well that's good. Hopefully everyone behaves. I'm coming from USA but plan on masking the whole time, am fully vaccinated and understand the etiquette for where to spectate safely for rallies.. hopefully everyone else does the same. I'd hate to see stages shut down because people act like idiots.
Really happy to see someone from US to visit Greece for the rally! You will have a great time!

subarurally
15th August 2021, 02:06
Oh I’m super excited. Not just to see as many stages as possible but also to visit such a beautiful country. Have 3 days on both ends of the rally to do other cool stuff!

Been checking the website but they have not updated much yet. Still trying to sort out where to park for stages, how to get access to service park etc. Hopefully they will update some of that soon.

Andre Oliveira
16th August 2021, 17:14
Entry list:

https://www.ewrc-results.com/entries/71264-eko-acropolis-rally-of-gods-2021/

Lancia Stratos
16th August 2021, 17:15
Entry list:

https://www.wrc.com/en/news/2021/wrc/fiesta-time-for-gryazin-in-greece/

Gryazin in a Fiesta.

WRC1
16th August 2021, 17:29

Gryazin in a Fiesta.

Polos are all wrecked :) .....by him :)

mknight
16th August 2021, 17:37
Huttunen missing. Sure he has one more start than Solberg but for sure it would suit him better to drive here than in Spain.

Might be that Hyundai doesn't even plan for him to drive all 7 rounds but only 6 (that count). In that case his chances of title are minimal with 2x 0 points already.

Suninen in WRC2.

Polos are all wrecked :) .....by him :)

Good one.

macebig
16th August 2021, 17:53
Hyundai is giving a new i20 to the local importer for Athanassoulas. Could be Huttunen's car.

MartijnS
16th August 2021, 18:48
Good entry!

rallyfiend
16th August 2021, 18:55

Gryazin in a Fiesta.

Probably a sign of his plans with M-Sport for 2022....

cali
16th August 2021, 19:00
Probably a sign of his plans with M-Sport for 2022....Needless to say Malcolm has made a good deal then because the M-Sport will have a lot of work, specially the body shop guys....

AnttiL
16th August 2021, 19:30
Suninen in WRC2.

Maybe it's better in the end, the Acropolis stages will have partly so fast sections that the Fiestas stand no chance.

mknight
16th August 2021, 19:50
Needless to say Malcolm has made a good deal then because the M-Sport will have a lot of work, specially the body shop guys....

It's interesting that Gryazin says he needs to switch cause Polo is not getting developed.

It got quite a lot of upgrades in March, probably last ones, but still looked more than competetive lately.

But for sure might start to lag behind after a while.

Maybe it also has to do with the rally character.

In any case it will be really interesting to see the comparison with Suninen. I don't think Suninen will be much slower than Gryazin if at all.

Jarek Z
16th August 2021, 20:51
Entry list:

Who the hell is Crazy Leo? :D (#29)

Fast Eddie WRC
16th August 2021, 20:58
Who the hell is Crazy Leo? :D (#29)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crazy_Leo

https://twitter.com/CrazyLeoNet

MartijnS
18th August 2021, 12:06
Booked everything now! Arriving wednesday morning, leaving sunday night. Looking forward :)

bomber21
18th August 2021, 12:45
Booked everything now! Arriving wednesday morning, leaving sunday night. Looking forward :)
Have you made a plan which SS you will spectate?

MartijnS
18th August 2021, 13:17
Not yet, but we'll figure it out soon :)

Tom K
18th August 2021, 14:00

Same here, but leaving monday morning :) Acropolis - king of rallies :D

AnttiL
18th August 2021, 15:35
https://www.rally-maps.com/Acropolis-Rally-of-Greece-2021

Route updated, the power stage run of Tarzan is only half the length

RudiH
18th August 2021, 17:20
Will it be a spectators allowed event after all?
Any restrictions in place for spectators?

NOT
18th August 2021, 18:07
Will it be a spectators allowed event after all?
Any restrictions in place for spectators?

I believe specators are going to be allowed 100% on the stages, they might have some restrictions for the service park though... like only vaccinated to be allowed and the unvaccinated subhuman trash might have to have a negative test like the backwards subhuman apes they are and deserve to be treated as inferior.

RudiH
18th August 2021, 18:18
will there be somekind of offical statement by the organisers?

NOT
18th August 2021, 18:24
yes quite likely.

Right now the public is not allowed on forests because of the terrible wildfires (a fire burned some stages today from previews acropolis installations) but i do not think they are going to keep that rule in September... either way i am going, no matter the laws because greek laws are garbage, if greece was a respectable nation then following the laws would be ok but its not...

tommeke_B
18th August 2021, 19:26
Also got everything booked. This rally has been on my to-do list for a long time, happy it's finally in the WRC again. Any tips for the stages are more than welcome.

subarurally
18th August 2021, 19:33
Also will be attending. Arriving Tues, few days to explore Athens, leaving the following Tues.

I plan on attending SSS1, SS2&4 and SS6. Don't even know if that is feasible, but gonna try. Not sure about what stages to hit on Sat...

Still waiting for info on access to service park etc... and I'm a responsible human and have been vaccinated and plan on masking :)

hari
18th August 2021, 19:34
Also already looking forward to my 4th Acropolis.

RudiH
18th August 2021, 19:42
will be my 22nd

bomber21
18th August 2021, 20:13
I am very happy to see that big interest for the Acropolis Rally! Old friends are calling me and they are willing to attend after many many years of no interest from them. Can’t wait!

Regarding access to service park etc, there is no announcement yet.

There is no announcement either for SSS yet.

dimviii
18th August 2021, 22:17
will be my 22nd

wow!

NOT
18th August 2021, 23:26
Also got everything booked. This rally has been on my to-do list for a long time, happy it's finally in the WRC again. Any tips for the stages are more than welcome.

i plan to visit 2-3 stages the coming week.... will post some nice hairpin spots and how to get there.

bomber21
19th August 2021, 10:23
WRC drivers expressing their sympathy for the wildfires in Greece
https://twitter.com/acropolisrally/status/1428300439137792001?s=21

WRC1
19th August 2021, 13:57
i will be there tooo! my 3rd Acropolis! Any tips (i love watercrossings..and Hairpins :) ) are very welcome!

Vaggelis27
19th August 2021, 14:23
i plan to visit 2-3 stages the coming week.... will post some nice hairpin spots and how to get there.

will u plan to visit eleftherohori??

tommeke_B
19th August 2021, 16:59

Amazing. Already looking forward to see Paulo Nobre there.

RudiH
19th August 2021, 17:30
our plan is also SS2+4+6 on Friday, for saturday 2 options: 7+9+11 or 8+10+11 or 12, on sunday 2x tarzan ss 14+15
ss6 is al long drive but have done that more then once in the past,

if your not in a hurry you can go for ss 2 + 5, time enough for the long drive up to thiva, ss with a lot of very good spectators areas, easy access,....depending on your position, you can see 2 passages of each car on the stage (middle and close to the end, perhaps need a good walk to go there, but there are so many roads on the military venu that can be used for the stage

check rally-maps.com very good basis for plannng access roads

RudiH
19th August 2021, 17:34
stage finish in mendenitsa is not so fantastic, finish in eleftherohori was fare more spectacular, narrow but fast with deep cut over hole in front of small cabin with 'toivonen' & 'bettega' inscription. at the crossing with the big road, there is/used to be petrol station for quick drink or bite, run by 'la mama' and their 'older' suns, none of them married....

RudiH
19th August 2021, 17:38
finish area of agi theodori, elatia had large spectator areas, bauxites in the middle is easiest access of all stages, tarmac road, drivers cross it, finish area of bauxites is also nice, very small part (if still so) was on flat gravel road, then you drive down again following the rallycars, opposite direction will be prohibited, finish area of pavliani is nice too just because easy access, parking could be limited, tarzan is too long ago to remember....

RudiH
19th August 2021, 17:45
middle sections of pavliani are very nice too, open area, high speed, fast corners, but drive up from pira 'bad?' gravel road, often small and if car in problems, you're stuck, likely only for 4x4 or suv types

subarurally
20th August 2021, 06:39
Great info. As a WRC newbie, I appreciate the sharing of info!

I have a rental so I'm gonna try to make it easy and probably do the SS2 + SS4 and then drive up to SS6. This way I figure it's less driving around constantly trying to make it to stages. Plus, ending with SS6 is closer to Lamia where we are staying that night.

Saturday, I figure SS8, SS10, SS12. Hopefully that gives us a little time in the AM to check out the service park and not be in such a rush, plus then we can chill for the day mostly at SS10/12.

I've not been to Greece so I'm still trying to figure out if the little Opel Corsa rental can make it to all these locations. Hopefully they will add some parking info on the Acropolis site (and hopefully some info soon on accessing the service park to watch some of that.)

If anybody is around in Lamia/Athens for the rally and don't mind having a beer/coffee with two silly Americans, let me know. Would gladly buy you a drink or two for some good info/conversation!

AnttiL
20th August 2021, 08:01
https://itgetsfasternow.com/2021/08/20/route-preview-acropolis-rally-2021/

Here is my route preview.

Rallyper
20th August 2021, 08:56
Great info. As a WRC newbie, I appreciate the sharing of info!

I have a rental so I'm gonna try to make it easy and probably do the SS2 + SS4 and then drive up to SS6. This way I figure it's less driving around constantly trying to make it to stages. Plus, ending with SS6 is closer to Lamia where we are staying that night.

Saturday, I figure SS8, SS10, SS12. Hopefully that gives us a little time in the AM to check out the service park and not be in such a rush, plus then we can chill for the day mostly at SS10/12.

I've not been to Greece so I'm still trying to figure out if the little Opel Corsa rental can make it to all these locations. Hopefully they will add some parking info on the Acropolis site (and hopefully some info soon on accessing the service park to watch some of that.)

If anybody is around in Lamia/Athens for the rally and don't mind having a beer/coffee with two silly Americans, let me know. Would gladly buy you a drink or two for some good info/conversation!

Remember in 2012, guys in small rental cars had often punctures while doing recce. I had the luck to company some nice fellow greek guys to many of the stages without doing recce... (atsotrias and dimviii) :) :)

Tom K
20th August 2021, 09:09
I did my first Acropolis in 2008 with Citroen C1 and 4 people onboard :) But we were avoiding the roughest parts of access roads, sometimes parked earlier and were lifted by Greeks in old Panda 4x4 :D

NOT
20th August 2021, 09:46
i will be there tooo! my 3rd Acropolis! Any tips (i love watercrossings..and Hairpins :) ) are very welcome!

Finally another person that appreciates how spectacular hairpins are !!! no wonder all the super knowledgeable pro photographers go there !!!

I only visit hairpins in rallies... they are so fun and exciting !!!! nothing beats a 350+hp car designed to turn corners going through the king of corners... the hairpin... I really cannot tell what i like more... the 25km/hr max speed ? the immense skill and art that the handbrake turn is ? the pro photographers competing who is uglier or who disgraces the male anatomy more ? its just plain fun fun fun all the way !!! cannot wait !!!!

Franky
20th August 2021, 09:55
NOT, don't forget to send your favourite pro photographers the coordinates for taking pictures of flowers ;)

Rallyper
20th August 2021, 10:42
You all know SubaruNorway. If you locals have special unique places, please give him a hint by PM. I know he´d appriciate taking the actionphotos we all love (no flowers, hairpins, junctions...)