PDA

View Full Version : Your first rollercoster memories?

speedy king
13th May 2007, 23:34
Think it must be one of the most magical memories as a child :p : My first one is a bit of a family tradition.

It was the wooden rollercoaster at the joys of Great Yarmouth (its a dump but an amazing rollercaoster) Not the fastest nowadays, or the most spectacular in thrills, but the wooden clunks, on board brake man, single pully up the first climb then gravity will take you for 3 minutes until the end. It's currently the oldest wooden coaster in the UK and my memories were going up the first climb in tears realising i didn't want to go on it anymore!! :p : And my dad saying how the first fall was the highest (was a lie, it's the second... :laugh: ) But i loved it and went on again and again.

It was also the first my dad went on as a child and was also used in the music video for "Madness" 'House of Fun'. It has that fun relaxing feeling i get even now at (still young) 17, but 10 years after i first went up the climb crying :p :

Not a patch on Nemises and other newer rides for 'thrill' factor, but beats them all in my experience for outright fun :D

So, you love or hate them?

Dave B
14th May 2007, 11:21
My first time was the Looping Star and Scenic Railway at Dreamland Margate (http://www.ultimatecoaster.com/newsbits/content.asp?contentid=53).

I've done all the biggies in the UK, and many in Europe, but sadly don't find any particular thrill in them these days. Old age...

However I did learn some interesting new swear words the first time I took my mate on the Big One at Blackpool :eek:

Georgeboi999
14th May 2007, 11:33
Well my first time was on Air at Alton Towers. It was so cool.

Brown, Jon Brow
14th May 2007, 11:49
The first rollercoaster I went on was The Big One at Blackpool.

Mark
14th May 2007, 11:54
Metroland! :D

jim mcglinchey
14th May 2007, 13:40
The Cyclone at Coney Island, it doesnt look like much, the the thrill lies in wondering if the old thing will hold together. A few weeks after I was on it the first person ever was killed on it, but I think he was a drunk maintainance guy.

CarlMetro
14th May 2007, 15:00
I can't remember what it's called, or indeed whther or not it's still there, but it was inside what looked like a big tent at Alton Towers.

If I remember correctly it had a space theme to it, you sat one behind the other rather than side by side in the cars and was pitch black inside, with spacemen dummies lit up with UV lights. I can remember it going round and round in circles at the beginning and you would see a spaceman above you, then below you on the next circuit.

I remember it coming almost to a stop, then this voice saying 'ready to launch' an off it went, at a great rate of knots into this pitch black tent, with the occasional corner of the track lit with neon light. It seemed to go on forever, especially for someone no too keen on rollercoasters :s

I still have the picture somewhere that I got at the end of the ride, with me in front of my then girlfriend, looking rather ill and her with a big smile on her face ;(

Did the Corkscrew several times and there was another ride which was powered by a steam catapult that was just a long straight track with a loop and vertical run-off, which sent you backwards through the loop, I think it was called the Thunder-looper?

Never been to Alton Towers, or any other for that matter since. If I want to scare myself silly then I just sit as a passenger in my car and let my wife drive ;)

lilmelvschilton
14th May 2007, 15:22
i cant remember my first ever ride but it was ace though

Captain VXR
14th May 2007, 16:53
Me it was Colossus at Thorpe Park...

speedy king
14th May 2007, 17:51
I can't remember what it's called, or indeed whther or not it's still there, but it was inside what looked like a big tent at Alton Towers.

If I remember correctly it had a space theme to it, you sat one behind the other rather than side by side in the cars and was pitch black inside, with spacemen dummies lit up with UV lights. I can remember it going round and round in circles at the beginning and you would see a spaceman above you, then below you on the next circuit.

I remember it coming almost to a stop, then this voice saying 'ready to launch' an off it went, at a great rate of knots into this pitch black tent, with the occasional corner of the track lit with neon light. It seemed to go on forever, especially for someone no too keen on rollercoasters :s

I still have the picture somewhere that I got at the end of the ride, with me in front of my then girlfriend, looking rather ill and her with a big smile on her face ;(

That would be 'Black Hole' :) And last time i went it was still there, massive quese, heard some very mixed responses to it as well :s

GridGirl
14th May 2007, 18:09
The space shuttle rollercoaster jpbbie at American Adventure. I cant think of its exact name.

Going to Alton Towers on a works do next month, cant wait as I haven't been on Rita Queen of Speed, Oblivian or Air yet.

Erki
14th May 2007, 18:32
The closest thing to rollercoaster here is the potholes on streets. :\

stevie_gerrard
14th May 2007, 22:01
It was West Midlands Safari Park for me and it was so great, i was on it all day! :D cant remember the name though, its been years since ive been there.

Iain
14th May 2007, 22:03
Rollercoasters scare me. Only been on about two and will never go on one again. :s What's the big attraction about them? I've always wondered why people like being terrified. :p :

GridGirl
14th May 2007, 22:39
Stevie_Gerrard, I'm jealous I've always wanted to go to West Midlands Safari Park. I was never allowed :bigcry: Always had to go to Dudley Zoo instead :(

Back on topic, the last roller coaster I went on was the corkscrew at Flamingo Land last summer. It was one of the oldest rides in the park, didnt have proper safety harnesses and shook me something rotten. I ended up with such a splitting headache I ended up going home to lay down. Thinking back I cant remember how I could stand to go on some of those old rollercoasters I went on years ago. I'm suprised they didn't give me some kind off brain injury, some might think it already did though. :p

Mp3 Astra
14th May 2007, 22:48
Me it was Colossus at Thorpe Park...

Same for me; quite an initiation for a virgin rollercoaster rider. It was 5 years ago back the the day... I have a wonderful photo of me looking rather peculiar on the ride.

millencolin
15th May 2007, 00:35
the first rollercoaster i went on was the old one aat Dreamworld that has been around since the early 70's... scary as all hell because it wasnt very smooth... it vibroated so much i couldnt actually see where i was going

it was torn down around 3 years ago... replaced with a smaller but smoother one now... and also a ride known as the 'giant drop'... which is just what the name says it is... a giant drop!!!

BM
15th May 2007, 02:05
If we're talking about memorable rollercoaster moments it has to be the Scouts on Jim'll fix it!!! :D

I think one of my first coasters was at Parc Asterix near Paris - I was too small to go on one of those upside-down ones, so my dad and I went on a wooden one, which was great! :)

Also been to Alton Towers, and you can't beat Florida for exciting coasters - the Hulk ride was one of the best at Universal studios, and the Aerosmith rocking rollercoaster thing was superb as well - huge acceleration on that one!!! :eek:

tmx
15th May 2007, 05:45
just recently at universal studio on a trip with my family. it was very fun experience. scary for the first try the one with the legs hanging off, but watching motorsport seem to help me get used to it very fast.

although the doctor diagnose me with a mild heart condition, so that may be the last time i should let myself on one.

Captain VXR
15th May 2007, 17:04
Same for me; quite an initiation for a virgin rollercoaster rider. It was 5 years ago back the the day... I have a wonderful photo of me looking rather peculiar on the ride.

My legs were like jelly after that :D . I have a funny pic of me very pale going on it :crazy: