PDA

View Full Version : Top or side ?

Dave B
13th December 2006, 14:18
Simple question, no need for a poll really:

Do you prefer the user information above the posts (as it currently is at the time of writing), or down the side as on the old forum?

Personally I prefer it on the side, but I'm not about to lose any sleep if they stay on top.

Any thoughts?

EuroTroll
13th December 2006, 14:29
Doesn't matter to me. Either is fine.

CarlMetro
13th December 2006, 14:30
I prefer it down the side, but if it stays as it is then I suppose I'd get used to it evenyually :\

martinbalmer
13th December 2006, 14:37
Personally I prefer it on the side, but I'm not about to lose any sleep if they stay on top.

I'm resisting it. I'm resisting it... :p :

I think it looks nicer down the side because then the forum usernames don't break up the thread-flow too much. Then again, when someone has a long name, it works better along the top of the post.

Daniel
13th December 2006, 14:44
I prefer it as it is. Don't ask me why. Just do :p

555-04Q2
13th December 2006, 14:45
Prefer it like this with names and info at the top. Dont have to scroll accross to read my own cr@ppy posts now :p :

grassrootsracer
13th December 2006, 14:50
side

CarlMetro
13th December 2006, 14:54
Can we have a poll please?

Iain
13th December 2006, 15:03
Here you go. :p :

http://www.uefa.com/MultimediaFiles/Photo/competitions/UEFACup/302409_MEDIUMSQUARE.jpg

Iain
13th December 2006, 15:04
Poll

Iain
13th December 2006, 15:07
The poll is in a thread of it's own at the moment. Bear with me while I work out how to merge it! :o

J4MIE
13th December 2006, 15:16
Well I used to be totally against having it at the top, but when I'm at work having to look at a window about half an inch high it's easier to look at it the other way :p :

janneppi
13th December 2006, 15:55
I liked on the side, more easily to browse through millions and millions of posts looking for certain names.

CarlMetro
13th December 2006, 16:10
Here you go. :p :

http://www.uefa.com/MultimediaFiles/Photo/competitions/UEFACup/302409_MEDIUMSQUARE.jpg

:rolleyes:

:laugh:

AndySpeed
13th December 2006, 16:36
Side.

But I'm sure you could have it as an option in the User CP where individual users can choose for themselves

Ian McC
13th December 2006, 19:10
Side please :D

jonv
13th December 2006, 19:45
Voted top and I seem to be in the minority. Ideally it should be configurable for each user in their profile.

nicemms
13th December 2006, 21:20
I like it down the side. Much easier to view.

pino
13th December 2006, 21:47
poll

jso1985
13th December 2006, 22:00
side please

harvick#1
13th December 2006, 23:02
I say side,

the top looks goofy

schmenke
13th December 2006, 23:28
Voted top and I seem to be in the minority...

:wave:

Daniel
14th December 2006, 00:21
I voted for top too. We may be in the minority but it doesn't mean we're wrong :D

harvick#1
14th December 2006, 03:00
today, the minorities get everything,

in a airport out in the western coast in the US, they had to take down all their christmas trees, because one jewish person complained out it :mark:

Storm
14th December 2006, 06:23
Simple question, no need for a poll really:

Any thoughts?

I agree....I voted Down the side...as thats what we had earlier and I am so used to that style of information. Of course I will get used to the top thing in a while too but I think I still prefer the side version. This is kinda too spread out.

harsha
14th December 2006, 06:38
top.....but it would be great if it could be configured according to the tastes of the persons

janneppi
14th December 2006, 08:55

in a airport out in the western coast in the US, they had to take down all their christmas trees, because one jewish person complained out it :mark:
Sorry to get off topic, but that's not really what happened.
The guy asked for a jewish hannuka thingy next to a christmas tree.
It was the airport staff that went overboard and took all the trees away.
:)

Daniel
14th December 2006, 15:02

What does that have to do with this thread? :confused:

schmenke
14th December 2006, 15:19
Sorry to get off topic, but that's not really what happened.
The guy asked for a jewish hannuka thingy next to a christmas tree.
It was the airport staff that went overboard and took all the trees away.
:)

Not really. It was the airport authority that was concerned with having both a tree and a hannuka thingy, I believe because of safety issues (not enough room for both). So they decided that the reasonable thing to do was to remove the tree.
Some of the airlines' staff then decided to pool their collective resources and put up a few small trees by the counters.

The rabi(sp?) apologized over the incident.

The entire story was blown out of proportion by the media.

(Sorry for the continued thread hijack... :uhoh: )

Speedworx
14th December 2006, 19:04
Down the side is better, this look horrid!

Ian McC
14th December 2006, 21:42
So when are we changing back then? :p :

aivan
15th December 2006, 07:54
I say side for sure but wouldn't it be great if we could choose?

RaceFanStan
15th December 2006, 13:48
The more I use this forum, the more it now feels like an impersonal blog instead of a friendly forum.
The friendly forum feel is gone because it has changed so much.
The new forum is great, very user friendly & fast but ...
For years the names were on the side & I guess I got used to it.
I wish this forum could be more like the old one in the way it looks.
Several of us supported the old forum because we liked the feel of the forum.
It seems odd to me that someone would tamper with a winning formula ... :s

AndySpeed
15th December 2006, 14:09
The more I use this forum, the more it now feels like an impersonal blog instead of a friendly forum.

I think you've taken that too far, because the same elements of that old forum are still in this one, it's just that we're going through a transition phase. You still have the same forums, members, types of topic. Hopefully soon we'll get back the names on the side, more styles and fully functioning features.

Besides, what was a winning formula for one person wasn't necessarily as good as it could have been for many of the other 30,000 members.

Erki
15th December 2006, 16:11
Top all the way!

Erki
15th December 2006, 16:12
I'm resisting it. I'm resisting it... :p :

Practising holdback method as well? :p : ;)

Erki
15th December 2006, 16:20
I liked on the side, more easily to browse through millions and millions of posts looking for certain names.

User names should be in bold. Modadmins can be in another colour or underlined as well.

Speedworx
15th December 2006, 18:45
Top = too move scrolling to find things. Its supposed to be at the side. Please stop messing things around :)

Hazell B
16th December 2006, 16:17
I don't mind.

Side was good, top's something I can get used to. In the end, whatever's easiest for Mark will be accepted (is one easier than another?) and start to look normal to us all.

Ian McC
16th December 2006, 21:36

You are getting old Stan, change is bad for a man of your age :p :

RaceFanStan
16th December 2006, 23:42
You are getting old Stan, change is bad for a man of your age :p :
In that case, people shouldn't be changing things on me, should they ? ;) :laugh:

veeten
16th December 2006, 23:54
upside-down. :p :

Ian McC
17th December 2006, 00:06
In that case, people shouldn't be changing things on me, should they ? ;) :laugh:

Oh I am sure you will cope old man ;)

Speedworx
18th December 2006, 18:52
How long we going to wait until the proper look returns. The poll clearly shows people don't want it at the top!

555-04Q2
19th December 2006, 06:23
How long we going to wait until the proper look returns. The poll clearly shows people don't want it at the top!

The majority are not always right. Just look at George Bush ;)

Speedworx
19th December 2006, 08:19
The majority are not always right. Just look at George Bush ;)

In this case they are right. Its horrid at the top. Only idiots would like it that way. Has to be a reason why this forum is now dead compared to what it used to be. Making it look ugly isn't going to bring people back.

555-04Q2
19th December 2006, 08:52
In this case they are right. Its horrid at the top. Only idiots would like it that way. Has to be a reason why this forum is now dead compared to what it used to be. Making it look ugly isn't going to bring people back.

Call me an idiot but I prefer it the way it is as it free's up the whole width of the page so you can read an entire post without having to scroll accross.

And I am willing to bet that the reason the forum is so quiet is because people prefered the old look of the forum not the layout. I said it before on this new forum and I'll say it again, "people dont like change".

janneppi
19th December 2006, 09:26
And that's perhaps the most stupid reason not to participate.
While i reserve the right to complain bitterly for the next few weeks about minescule changes in font colours inside whatnotts, i don't really care about the small stuff.
I'm alredy familliarised myself here.

A.F.F.
19th December 2006, 09:39

It's a matter of taste said the dog while licking his balls.

I don't find that generalising comfortable :down: Then again, I'm an idiot so what do I know except the forum is fine.

Has anyone considered that the christmas is coming, the New Year is coming, folks here might just have more important things to do than hang around in a forum. ?? Just a longshot.

Daniel
19th December 2006, 10:01
Yes. I agree with Jani. People are more than likely busy with christmas shopping and not posting on forums than going "I'm NEVER EVER EVER going to post on motorsportforums.com again until they change it back to the way I like"

If Jani is an idiot I'm also an idiot because I prefer the way it is now :) Idiots stick together brother J? :dork:

Erki
19th December 2006, 10:15
Looks like Bebee was right, I really am an idiot. :eek:

Mark
19th December 2006, 10:25
People have been telling me I'm an idiot for years :p

A.F.F.
19th December 2006, 11:04
If Jani is an idiot I'm also an idiot because I prefer the way it is now :) Idiots stick together brother J? :dork:

Yep, takes one to know one :D

Speedworx
19th December 2006, 19:19
Call me an idiot but I prefer it the way it is as it free's up the whole width of the page so you can read an entire post without having to scroll accross.

Simple, get a bigger monitor!

I find it harder to read as the text is all stretched out. Having the info at the side makes it much easier to read the forum. Also its WAY too much scrolling to get back to the top to change threads. My poor mouse is dying!

Much better looking!:

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g303/Speedworx41/better.jpg

viper_man
20th December 2006, 02:55
If 79.30% of the people who have voted say that it should be down the side, surely that deserves a quick answer from one of the mods as to whether its going to happen or not, rather than being ignored.

555-04Q2
20th December 2006, 06:09
If 79.30% of the people who have voted say that it should be down the side, surely that deserves a quick answer from one of the mods as to whether its going to happen or not, rather than being ignored.

Its not being ignored, rather, being reviewed by a panel of judges ;)

Mark
20th December 2006, 07:52
Nothing will change in 2006. When I return in 2007 it may be reviewed :p

martinbalmer
20th December 2006, 21:25
Now I've got use to it I can't say I'm really that bothered which way around it goes!

garyshell
21st December 2006, 06:14
Its not being ignored, rather, being reviewed by a panel of judges ;)

Let's just hope it's not the same ones from the Florida elections that gave us Bush!

Gary

555-04Q2
21st December 2006, 08:14
Let's just hope it's not the same ones from the Florida elections that gave us Bush!

Gary

Nnnnnnnoooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!! :p :

RaceFanStan
21st December 2006, 15:15
Nothing will change in 2006. When I return in 2007 it may be reviewed :p
It is all that we can hope is that the majority vote is recognized.
We do realize that ultimately it is your decision & we will accept whatever you decide.

RaceFanStan
10th January 2007, 13:45
I wonder how much longer this poll will be open before a decision is made ... :uhoh:

Erki
10th January 2007, 14:28
Hallooo! Decision is already made! :D
Majority doesn't always win. :p :
It's the quality, not quantity that counts. :D

harvick#1
10th January 2007, 18:03
of course majority doesn't win anymore, espcially here in the states, one person bitches about something, everyone suffers

RaceFanStan
10th January 2007, 18:26
Erki, I hope MARK makes the announcement (whatever it is).
Quite frankly I've learned not to believe anything unless MARK says it.
I hope you understand that I feel MARK has the final say in things.

I'm not going to argue about it but it will seem awfully foolish to have a poll that means nothing.
If someone's mind is already made-up, why bother asking people's opinions ?

Erki
10th January 2007, 18:32
It's Dave Brockman, not Mark who started this thread. :)

martinbalmer
10th January 2007, 19:25
But didn't Mark start the poll thread (and they got merged)? I can't remember...

Daniel
11th January 2007, 09:15
I don't see the big fuss. If you'd all grown up with it on the top then you'd be complaining about it being on the side :) I could understand if we had avatars and it made the pages even longer but I think it's fine either way :)

Quetch
18th January 2007, 20:46
SIDE, or at least configurable

1. Because this is how it used to be and it worked. Why change it? The post count, the national flag (which is a unique feature of this forum) was more visible, just below the nickname.

2. A practical argument: the lines of the post are too long if the user information is on the top. Shorter lines are easier to read.

mr.hamad
20th January 2007, 12:20
side please

Snublefot
22nd January 2007, 17:05
Side is much better in my opinion. The way it is now is not practical.

viper_man
22nd January 2007, 17:51
Im growing to it like this actually. It splits the posts up better, and makes them easier to read.

Either that or I just don' care no more

Speedworx
21st February 2007, 23:36
This still needs to be looked at. Top makes it too long to read with double the number of boxes per page. Side is tradititional (and better) and would like to see it return, or atleast the option to choose.

tinchote
22nd February 2007, 00:55
As several said, I like the new functionality but I'd rather have the old feeling of the forums.

Ian McC
22nd February 2007, 21:15
Hell it's been so long now I can't remember how down the side looked, I certainly preferred it at the time though.

Hazell B
22nd February 2007, 22:10
Three months and you can't remember, McC?

Wow, that's the first sign already setting in :p :

I prefered side, too. Only for practicle reasons, as in my computer's so old I have to scroll about side to side sometimes.

donKey jote
24th February 2007, 00:46
Ian's got a goldfish too :p :
now, what was this thread about? :dozey:
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_3_166.gif

Captain VXR
24th February 2007, 09:43
Dunno, my goldfish microwaved my long term memory :eek:

Ian McC
24th February 2007, 10:50
Three months and you can't remember, McC?

Wow, that's the first sign already setting in :p :

My office Miss Brer Rabbit :robo:

Err, where is my office again? :crazy:

Ian McC
24th February 2007, 10:50
Ian's got a goldfish too :p :

You can stick your goldfish with your carrots Donks :p : :D

Hazell B
24th February 2007, 18:26
My office Miss Brer Rabbit :robo:

Err, where is my office again? :crazy:

Bare rabbit? You twisted individual :s

Your office is down some (can I do a back passage joke here? No) dark, seedy alley McC.

Anyway, are we having top or side here?
Mark's allowed the majority to speak on rep, so when will this poll close and it be decided?

Ian McC
25th February 2007, 17:53
Your office is down some (can I do a back passage joke here? No) dark, seedy alley McC.

Oh, you've been there? :eek:

AndySpeed
25th February 2007, 21:24
Even after having had more than enough time to 'get used' to the top style, I'm still in favour of the side option, or even better allowing the users to choose for themselves in their control panel.

I'm sure there must be a VB extension for it somewhere...

Speedworx
11th March 2007, 00:49

Speedworx
10th April 2007, 19:06
This EVER going to get changed back as per what the users want?

RaceFanStan
11th April 2007, 01:15
People have the mistaken concept that a poll is a vote & the results binding.
A poll is only a tally of opinion & does not bind management in any way. :s

RaceFanStan
9th August 2007, 00:31
Let me take this opportunity to thank management for returning the names to the side.

THANK YOU Management !!!!!

I noticed it right away, I only hestitated to let someone else mention it 1st.
I really like it down the side, it looks much better & it has a better "feel". :D :up:

Mark
9th August 2007, 09:55
Not if you are using the mobile version :p

tinchote
10th August 2007, 03:50
Not if you are using the mobile version :p

I can live with that :D

Erki
15th September 2007, 18:56
I would go for... lopside! :D