PDA

View Full Version : Speed HD ???

Bullet
12th May 2007, 22:46
Anyone know if/when Speed will go HD and if F1 GP's will be captured with HD equipment? Of course if Speed does come up with an HD broadcast it doesn't mean local cable companies will carry it.
Regular PD (pathetic def.) broadcasts have always been good enough. Heck...even a recorded broadcast on a decade old VHS tape, EP speed no less was enough, but now that DVD recorders, PVR's and HD broadcasts are the norm I'm having a hard time settling for that regular Speed broadcast stretched on my 48".

Gannex
13th May 2007, 00:22
There are no plans for F1 broadcasts to go High-Def. Until this year, the standard feed was in the old 4:3 aspect ratio, and it is only this year that, for the first time, you can watch F1 on wide-screen television without flattening the picture. But no Hi-Def plans at all, as yet.

The good news is that this year, there are only about two or three Grands Prix left which are to be broadcast by the local broadcaster. All the other contracts for local broadcast have expired, and the feed is now an official F1 feed for all but those two or three races. I can't remember which the hold-outs are.

Shifter
13th May 2007, 01:14
HD in Europe is about 3 years behind the USA in terms of market saturation. I would expect F1 to go HD in about 3 to 5 years.

call_me_andrew
13th May 2007, 01:20
HD is just a fad. Hopefully never.

18000rpm
13th May 2007, 15:36

Ummm...okay.

dont_be_jack
13th May 2007, 15:50
Yea, I was going to say that F1 isn't going to broadcast in HD until there's more of an acceptance than there already is in the majority of the world. It's really only catching on the US right now and the other countries are a bit behind in the switch to it.

Sleeper
13th May 2007, 16:05
I have to agree, I've yet to see any real difference between HD and regular.

Gannex
13th May 2007, 20:48
Anyone know if/when Speed will go HD and if F1 GP's will be captured with HD equipment?

There are no plans for F1 broadcasts to go High-Def.
Bullet; in a quite astonishing coincidence, just hours after you asked whether F1 would ever go Hi-Def, and hours after I confidently replied that F1 had no such plans, Autosport reported at 8:59 this morning that the sport will indeed be broadcast in Hi-Def "at some point later this year." For the full story, check out Autosport's website. . .

Somebody
14th May 2007, 01:33
I'd think that may well be just idle speculation - after all, they haven't even got widescreen on-car cameras (the 4:3 footage from them is just cropped'n'stretched to 16:9, and it shows...)

And I suspect one of the holdouts [re: post 2] may be Japan - after all, they were still broadcasting NTSC last year, which meant we got a blurry picture in PALland.

18000rpm
14th May 2007, 04:48

Well on my 106-inch screen the difference is night and day.

Basically all sports events in the US and Japan are broadcast in HD.

Dave B
14th May 2007, 13:03
I'd think that may well be just idle speculation - after all, they haven't even got widescreen on-car cameras (the 4:3 footage from them is just cropped'n'stretched to 16:9, and it shows...)

Word is FOM will be upgrading to HD 16:9 onboards as soon as they can source suitable cameras. There's little point changing to 16:9 only to have to bin them a few months later when HD ones become available.

I can't speak for the USA, but in Britain all bar the cheapest new sets are HD-ready, although we have precious few broadcasters actually transmitting any content.

ITV, who screen the races over here, briefly had a test channel in London but even that's disappeared for the time being.

One thing's for sure: HD isn't a fad. Whether the public at large are convinced is a whole different debate, but manufacturers and marketing companies have got too much invested in it to allow HD to flop.

Mark
14th May 2007, 13:06
As far as I'm aware of the races that FOM cover themselves, they already use HD equipment, the fact that we get 16:9 now is a side effect of this. So, going to HD is not a big step up from that, just some flipping of switches needed.

Dave, The test channel wasn't just in London, Telewest (as was) had it for the whole country.

Personally I think I'm at least 3 years off buying an HD set.

SteveA
14th May 2007, 13:20
The problem with the UK is that the priority of the broadcasters is to squeeze as much content as possible into the available bandwidth. Its the case with SDTV & DAB and I don't see it changing for HDTV!

So you'll have a nice high resolution picture with lots of pixels, but horrible compression artifacts, as is the case today on SDTV.

18000rpm
14th May 2007, 19:04
One thing's for sure: HD isn't a fad. Whether the public at large are convinced is a whole different debate, but manufacturers and marketing companies have got too much invested in it to allow HD to flop.

Exactly. I mean, how long do you think NTSC/PAL/SECAM will keep going??

It's like B&W->color; it's inevitable.

BBC just did the HD documentary Planet Earth, which is absolutely spectacular.

Wilderness
14th May 2007, 19:55
Back to topic; SpeedTV is a follower, not a leader, given by their reality TV, pop-up video and other assorted garbage 80s and 90s style programming they've embraced since Fox bought Speedvision.

I'd expect them to switch in the 3 year plus distant future, just in time for the next technical advance.

LTalbot
15th May 2007, 01:43
I don't know if I agree with that statement. Speed is owned by FOX and at times seems to be All NASCAR ALL THE TIME. Week in and week out NASCAR is broadcast in HD, and believe me, there is a difference. I would suspect that perhaps the F1 races Speed does not carry leading up to and including the US Grand Prix will be the first to be broadcast in HD. It may be slow, but Racing is a natural fit for HD so it will come. Heck, this is the frst year ABC will broadcast the Indy 500 in HD. At least that is what I suspect based on the fact that ESPN2 HD is covering the qualifying in HD.

SteveA
16th May 2007, 13:17
Exactly. I mean, how long do you think NTSC/PAL/SECAM will keep going??

For many years, those standards haven't really been relevant to people using Component or RGB connections from their decoders and DVD players.

The biggest problem has been the 25fps/29.9999fps difference, which continues with HDTV!

call_me_andrew
17th May 2007, 04:11
Back to topic; SpeedTV is a follower, not a leader, given by their reality TV, pop-up video and other assorted garbage 80s and 90s style programming they've embraced since Fox bought Speedvision.

Orignially, Speedvision wasn't going to become Speed Channel, but rather The NASCAR Channel with 24/7 NASCAR coverage and no time for anything else. So how about you try being grateful that ANYONE is broadcasting F1 in the U.S.? I think Speec Channel has some great shows (among those Unique Whips is NOT included).

If you feel that your television needs are not being met, I have a simple three step program for you.

1. Get off the cross.
2. Use the wood to build a bridge.
3. Get over it!

Valve Bounce
17th May 2007, 04:32
Orignially, Speedvision wasn't going to become Speed Channel, but rather The NASCAR Channel with 24/7 NASCAR coverage and no time for anything else. So how about you try being grateful that ANYONE is broadcasting F1 in the U.S.? I think Speec Channel has some great shows (among those Unique Whips is NOT included).

If you feel that your television needs are not being met, I have a simple three step program for you.

1. Get off the cross.
3. Get over it!

Hey!! we need somebody to pull the nails out first!! :eek:

LTalbot
17th May 2007, 05:47
Orignially, Speedvision wasn't going to become Speed Channel, but rather The NASCAR Channel with 24/7 NASCAR coverage and no time for anything else. So how about you try being grateful that ANYONE is broadcasting F1 in the U.S.?

I for one am most thankful for SpeedTV coverage of Formula 1. The broadcast team of Bob Varsha, David Hobbs, Steve Matchett and Peter Windsor on the starting grid are the best in motorsports.

Of course, I still miss Tommy Kendall doing ChampCar

jjanicke
18th May 2007, 02:05

There's a huge difference. The two aren't even comparable.

It's like saying there's no difference between B&W and color. Since I've bought my 55' plasma I hate watching "regular" TV, and we only really have a dozen or say HD channels in the US at this time. :(

Can't wait for F1 to be broadcast in HD, the clarity of the pictures will be amazing. I guarantee you'll be able to see the carbon fiber strands very clearly, just like the individual blades of grass in sports programs.

Word is FOM will be upgrading to HD 16:9 onboards as soon as they can source suitable cameras. There's little point changing to 16:9 only to have to bin them a few months later when HD ones become available. "Oh and the ah.. ahh.. ahhh.. RED car just passed the ah.. ah.. ahh... silver one" :(

I can't speak for the USA, but in Britain all bar the cheapest new sets are HD-ready, although we have precious few broadcasters actually transmitting any content.

ITV, who screen the races over here, briefly had a test channel in London but even that's disappeared for the time being.

The FCC (they regulate "TV" in the US) has a mandated HD deadline. All broadcasters will be required to broadcast in HD (it use to be by the end of 2007, but I believe has been pushed out a little now), and all TV's shipped next year have to be HD ready.

I for one am most thankful for SpeedTV coverage of Formula 1. The broadcast team of Bob Varsha, David Hobbs, Steve Matchett and Peter Windsor on the starting grid are the best in motorsports.

Of course, I still miss Tommy Kendall doing ChampCar

Couldn't agree more. We have it damn good with our F1 coverage, but when CBS infrequently takes on the broadcast we might very well see HD but have sh!tty commentators. Bell is about the only good guy there and he's till not all that.

call_me_andrew
18th May 2007, 03:42
Can't wait for F1 to be broadcast in HD, the clarity of the pictures will be amazing. I guarantee you'll be able to see the carbon fiber strands very clearly, just like the individual blades of grass in sports programs.

The FCC (they regulate "TV" in the US) has a mandated HD deadline. All broadcasters will be required to broadcast in HD (it use to be by the end of 2007, but I believe has been pushed out a little now), and all TV's shipped next year have to be HD ready.

Oh boy, individual blades of grass. Who needs a f@#king lawn when I can just watch tv?

The FCC regulates terestrial broadcasts. Cable and satelite companies are out of the FCC's reach.

SteveA
18th May 2007, 09:43
There's a huge difference. The two aren't even comparable.

It's like saying there's no difference between B&W and color.

Color's just a fad.

call_me_andrew
19th May 2007, 02:48
You said it Steve.

http://www.redbrick.dcu.ie/~rob/img/film/clerks.jpg

jjanicke
19th May 2007, 03:09
Oh boy, individual blades of grass. Who needs a f@#king lawn when I can just watch tv?

Fine with me. Enjoy your blurry green, while I watch crystal clear

The FCC regulates terestrial broadcasts. Cable and satelite companies are out of the FCC's reach.

True, but the networks, under FCC regulation, do broadcast F1 several times a season.

You said it Steve.

http://www.redbrick.dcu.ie/~rob/img/film/clerks.jpg

Lol, although that movie was actually in color.

call_me_andrew
20th May 2007, 04:26
True, but the networks, under FCC regulation, do broadcast F1 several times a season.

Lol, although that movie was actually in color.

All good things come to an end.

No, Clerks was in black & white. The film had a very small budget and while color film isn't much more expensive than black & white, the lighting rigs needed for color film are. Filming in black & white allowed them to use the fluorescent lights of the store.

jjanicke
22nd May 2007, 01:56
It was a good movie, no matter what!

Wilderness
22nd May 2007, 23:33

1. Get off the cross.
3. Get over it!
It's only one step:
1) Switch the channel.

My TV set is on Speed 1% of the 24/7 it used to before it became another one of Rupert Murdock's profit centers.

I do thank uncle Rupert for F1 coverage, it's by far the best we've had in the US. That said, the minute F1 coverage is gone from Speed, I drop this 'premium' channel off my service.

NAPCAR oversaturation, topped with a full list of junk like Unique Dips, Stinks, Superdikes, DOPI Tunnervision, etc sure is not what Speedvision was built upon (even SV only had a third of the "households reached", the ones that kept it on had it on 24/7).

call_me_andrew
23rd May 2007, 05:13
What's wrong with Pinks? And how is it a premium channel?

Wilderness
23rd May 2007, 13:28
Poser Rich C.[/*:m:3gglfy3o]
Wannabe poser Rich C. posse[/*:m:3gglfy3o]
Bickering, otherwise known as "negociating" ( If I wanted to watch bickering, I'd watch Jerry Springer)[/*:m:3gglfy3o]
Car lengths[/*:m:3gglfy3o]
Sandbagging[/*:m:3gglfy3o]
If I want to watch drag racing, Pinks is not it.

Speed is on an upgrade package on my satellite provider.

jjanicke
23rd May 2007, 20:00
... And how is it a premium channel?

It's doesn't come with the basic DTV package.

call_me_andrew
23rd May 2007, 23:04
It's good to have cable.

schmenke
23rd May 2007, 23:08
...My TV set is on Speed 1% of the 24/7 it used to before it became another one of Rupert Murdock's profit centers.

I do thank uncle Rupert for F1 coverage, it's by far the best we've had in the US. That said, the minute F1 coverage is gone from Speed, I drop this 'premium' channel off my service...

Couldn't agree more!
I was tempted to drop Speed TV when they cancelled WRC coverage :s

Wilderness
24th May 2007, 00:28
While you still have TSN, I see why the Varsha/Matchett/Hobbs combo can dissuade you from dropping Speed.

Valve Bounce
24th May 2007, 00:42
While you still have TSN, I see why the Varsha/Matchett/Hobbs combo can dissuade you from dropping Speed.

Looking at your sig, I think your assessment is premature; I have it on good authority that Bernie is still alive. :p :

ykiki
24th May 2007, 04:26
I never realised how much of an upgrade HD is over standard tv until I bought my new HDTV, hooked it up to my HD DVR via an HDMI cable and started watching the Discovery Channel in HD. WOW.

I explain it like this: The picture on an HDTV is as clear as the nicest coffee table book you'll ever find - except the picture moves! Simply breathtaking.

I'm NOT a nascar fan, but I've even found myself watching nascar broadcasts simply because the HD picture is mesmurizing. I just sit there watching and hoping that F1 and ChampCar would broadcast in HD.

Mark
24th May 2007, 08:14
I had seen HD on a 32" TV in Dixons and thought it was pretty average really. However I went into Bainbridges (ok, John Lewis!) and saw a 50" TV in action and it was fantastic quality! Just need to save up my £2,000 now.

I think if you are wanting to experience HD properly you need something like 42" to do it justice.

SteveA
24th May 2007, 11:15
The 32" was probably only capable of 720 lines, the 50" could probably do 1080.

Dave B
24th May 2007, 12:40
I had seen HD on a 32" TV in Dixons and thought it was pretty average really. However I went into Bainbridges (ok, John Lewis!) and saw a 50" TV in action and it was fantastic quality! Just need to save up my £2,000 now.

I think if you are wanting to experience HD properly you need something like 42" to do it justice.
There's a good chance the muppets in Dixons hadn't got it set up properly. I've seen a display of HD sets in a <cough> well known electrical retailer connected up via standard RF leads - not even SCART let alone HDMI.

Or like SteveA says, a lot of the cheaper HD sets are only 720 lines, only very slightly better than the 625 lines we had on analogue in the UK.

There's a lot of people being taken in my marketing hype and buying cheap crappy £400 32" LCDs and wondering why the picture isn't much cop.

Wilderness
24th May 2007, 15:11
Looking at your sig, I think your assessment is premature; I have it on good authority that Bernie is still alive. :p :
Bernie, Max, Dubya, Chavez, Castro, al Zarqawi, just to fill in the blank to suit your needs...

jjanicke
24th May 2007, 17:46
I never realised how much of an upgrade HD is over standard tv until I bought my new HDTV, hooked it up to my HD DVR via an HDMI cable and started watching the Discovery Channel in HD. WOW.

I explain it like this: The picture on an HDTV is as clear as the nicest coffee table book you'll ever find - except the picture moves! Simply breathtaking.

I'm NOT a nascar fan, but I've even found myself watching nascar broadcasts simply because the HD picture is mesmurizing. I just sit there watching and hoping that F1 and ChampCar would broadcast in HD.

I hear ya. Out of the hundreds of channells I have I find myself only watching a handfull, because they are the only ones in HD.

BTW, Discovery HD is the best.