PDA

View Full Version : Which circuits are next for the chop?

Dave B
11th May 2007, 19:05
With new races confirmed (or at least highly likely) in Valencia and Singapore, plus India and other countries hoping for a place on the F1 calendar, something's got to give.

Bernie's keen on a 20-race calendar, the teams are not so excited about the prospect, but it's likely that one or more of the current venues will soon lose their place in the schedule.

So which one would you drop?

The Hungaroring is the usual target for derision, but recently has produced a few good races. The same could be said of Mangy-Cours.

Mr E. is always looking for an excuse to gave a dig at Silverstone, so could the British GP be in danger?

Or, do you think the teams would ever support the idea of more than 20 races? Would you want that?

Erki
11th May 2007, 19:13
Nürburgring/Hockenheim.
Bahrain
China

I'm not sure if 20 races is the wisest thing though. Sure they test a lot, but at the current rate, most new rounds would take place far form Europe where most F1 people are based, thus they would be quite a lot of time on the road. Then again NASCAR drivers race every weekend and also test between them... I don't know... I'd take 16 races that are exciting over 20+ boring processions.

ioan
11th May 2007, 19:18
Nürburgring/Hockenheim.
Bahrain
China

I'm not sure if 20 races is the wisest thing though. Sure they test a lot, but at the current rate, most new rounds would take place far form Europe where most F1 people are based, thus they would be quite a lot of time on the road. Then again NASCAR drivers race every weekend and also test between them... I don't know... I'd take 16 races that are exciting over 20+ boring processions.

They can't chop Bahrain and China, to much money has been invested there.

What I find bizarre is that almost always the worst tracks got the longest deals with Bernie.

Stuartf12007
11th May 2007, 19:45
get rid of Silverstone, it the most boring track of all.

Bring F1 back to Brands Hatch.

Ian McC
11th May 2007, 19:45
Mr E. is always looking for an excuse to gave a dig at Silverstone, so could the British GP be in danger?

Seems like it's been like that for a while now :down:

luvracin
11th May 2007, 20:06
Melbourne. Not because of Bernie, but it'll become a victim of Victorian politics.

And it won't go to Adelaide ... or Queensland... it'll go to somewhere else in SE-Asia.

Viktory
11th May 2007, 20:07
I'm just hoping they won't lose their minds and chop any really good and historical tracks off the list like Monza, Silverstone, Interlagos, Spa (again) etc.

zoostation
11th May 2007, 21:12
for me, there should always be an italian gp, german gp, british gp and french gp.

it just doesnt seem right to not have them, i dont care what track in particular, but i do feel these nations are the heartlands of f1 and should not be brushed aside.

just my opinion :)

BeansBeansBeans
11th May 2007, 21:40

I don't think MSV have any plans to bid for the GP, I'm afraid.

Iain
11th May 2007, 21:50
And we can all be thankful for that. It'd be ruined bringing it up to F1-standard.

N. Jones
11th May 2007, 22:35
Dropped?? There won't be any for the next two years but it looks like two of the following will probably be gone if any other countries get their wish of a GP:

Silverstone/British GP
Magny-Cours/French GP
Spa/Belgium GP
Imola/San Marino GP

These have had the most trouble financially. The USGP could be gone as well since we in America just can't seem to get into F1...

Hayden Fan
11th May 2007, 22:48
I think the USGP could be cut, but i see it moving somewhere else first. Don't know where, but I think Bernie would try somewhere else first before pulling hte plug. Especially if Scott continues to struggle and no other Americans can advance.

futuretiger9
11th May 2007, 23:16

I would echo those sentiments.

Allyc85
11th May 2007, 23:30
lol f1 at brands we can all dream, but it will never hold a grandprix with out millions being spent on safety. Paddock hill bend would be stupidly quick.... but fun lol

raikk
11th May 2007, 23:35
Imola... mayybe Silverstone...

Stuartf12007
12th May 2007, 00:09
please axe the usa gp, they dont care about it, they love Nascar too much.

Back to silverstone, reasons why its crap... too flat, no real good overtaking area's, crap temporary seating stands, big screens in wrong positions, too many jobs worths around on gp day,extortinate prices,nightmare getting into and out of on gp day.

brandshatch, what a race track should be.

Brandshatch, Spa and Monza are the best tracks.

Timber
12th May 2007, 00:42
Bernie is losing is mind ... He is ruining F1 !!! one race per country is enough , why add another city race in Valencia . F1 is to be raced on a circuit , not in the street , Monaco is the only one that should be on the schedule because of is history .

CarlMetro
12th May 2007, 01:36
Back to silverstone, reasons why its crap... too flat, no real good overtaking area's, crap temporary seating stands, big screens in wrong positions, too many jobs worths around on gp day,extortinate prices,nightmare getting into and out of on gp day.

You're not serious are you?

I'll grant you that a few years ago Silverstone used to be a nightmare to get in and out of (1999 anyone?) but these days it's one of the best, especially considering the volume of traffic compared to something like BTCC at Brands Or Donington.

As for no real overtaking? Get real! Over the past couple of years that has been the case, yes that is true, but that is down to the design of the cars, not the track.

The stands are OK, I've sat in worse. What do you expect?

Prices? £99 for admission for all three days, take a look at some of the other circuits currently on the calender and see what they charge. Spa, as an example will charge you £105 per day for general admission.

Big screens in the wrong positions :confused:

Anyway, back onto the topic, either Magny Corrs, Barcelona or Hungaroring would be my choices.

stevie_gerrard
12th May 2007, 02:18
i think the british and french gps are the most likely to be dropped, but i think they shud keep the british GP cause of the massive history behind it.

Cozzie
12th May 2007, 04:34
for me, there should always be an italian gp, german gp, british gp and french gp.

it just doesnt seem right to not have them, i dont care what track in particular, but i do feel these nations are the heartlands of f1 and should not be brushed aside.

just my opinion :)

I agree 100% with that!
I would prefer to see British GP at Brands Hatch and the Italian race should remain at Monza.
I am getting sick of Magny Cours and the Hungaroring though.

ShiftingGears
12th May 2007, 04:50
Magny Cours never was/is/will be a good circuit. The worst French grand prix circuit, and it's stayed on the calendar irritatingly long. The only problem that I have is if the new French GP circuit is worse than Magny Cours.

Valve Bounce
12th May 2007, 04:53
With new races confirmed (or at least highly likely) in Valencia and Singapore, plus India and other countries hoping for a place on the F1 calendar, something's got to give.

Bernie's keen on a 20-race calendar, the teams are not so excited about the prospect, but it's likely that one or more of the current venues will soon lose their place in the schedule.

So which one would you drop?

The Hungaroring is the usual target for derision, but recently has produced a few good races. The same could be said of Mangy-Cours.

Or, do you think the teams would ever support the idea of more than 20 races? Would you want that?

Hey Dave! I just wonder if the inclusion and dropping of circuits in the future will hinge on income to the F1 organisation ie. Bernie and his Cohorts. I can see a huge interrest in F1 in the middle and far east. In fact, once the Chinese have figured out some way to gamble on it, they certainly will. I can also see a huge interest in the sport in India, and the rest of the sub continent.
But does the inclusion of Valencia mean the axing of Barcelona? I supose the circuit in Barca is fairly close to the city itself and the land would fetch a high price for developers.

Mikeall
12th May 2007, 05:20
Magny Cours is already been replaced for next year hasn't it? No one can make any money from it. No one wants to run it and no one really wants to race there.

Silverstone is great and depending on the track conditions provides great racing. Bernie may complain about it all the time but maybe its because Silverstone and the BRDC can always get the race cheaper than all the other races due to its importance to teams, its history and its special status with the FIA. People always get concerned about the negotiations with the FIA and BRDC yet there is always a British GP...

dwboogityfan
12th May 2007, 11:16
Before long the whole calendar will be in Asia. I find it a great shame that we are losing so many European races and taking the sport to areas in which it is not as popular.
As for the future of the British Grand Prix, Bernie needs to care more about the F1 fans rather than the big bucks he can make. Silverstone has been a sell out for the past few years and the facilities (for the spectators anyway) compare favourably with many other circuits. Its time Bernie stepped down and actually let people that care about the sport make decisions.

Stuartf12007
12th May 2007, 14:25
£99 for the weekend granted is an ok price, but its a roaming ticket, and if you can only make race day you have zero chance of seeing anything, as people with tents and deck chairs take all the viewing positions.

So if you only go on race day £99 is not such a great price for that specific ticket.

Parking, i went in 2003 and 2004 and it was hellish getting in and out.

Overtaking at Silverstone, for the last six years its been a procession from start to finish.

Video screens, if you sit in pit straight the screen is at the wrong angle, so all you see of the race is the cars going through pit straight, thats worth £199 for a ticket is'nt it.

Btw the new chicane at barcelona is a very very bad idea.

truefan72
12th May 2007, 14:51
They need to build a firtst class faciltiy in England to host an F1 race. IMO Silverstone is boring, outdated and uninspiring. England should take the lead and build something fantastic with speed length, and overtaking opportunities and most most most most most most most most most definitely keep Tilke away from the project.!!!!! :(

Dave B
12th May 2007, 15:39
The British government won't throw any money towards what is widely perceived as a rich sport, so unless a private investor can be found who would be guaranteed a GP for at least 20 years you won't see any new venues built in the UK.

Compare and contrast with some of the more recent races. Almost every new circuit since Sepang has benefited from substantial state funding.

Silverstone aside, the only other UK track remotely capable of hosting F1 right now would be Donington, but it would require a multi-million pound investment which, again, I can't see taking place.

GridGirl
12th May 2007, 17:43
£99 for the weekend granted is an ok price, but its a roaming ticket, and if you can only make race day you have zero chance of seeing anything, as people with tents and deck chairs take all the viewing positions.

So if you only go on race day £99 is not such a great price for that specific ticket.

Parking, i went in 2003 and 2004 and it was hellish getting in and out.

Overtaking at Silverstone, for the last six years its been a procession from start to finish.

Video screens, if you sit in pit straight the screen is at the wrong angle, so all you see of the race is the cars going through pit straight, thats worth £199 for a ticket is'nt it.

Btw the new chicane at barcelona is a very very bad idea.

I'm sure you live on a different planet to me.

Granted the last 2 British Grand Prix's have been dull but over the last 10 years I would say its been one of the few GP's that has had consistantly good racing or eventful things happening.

£99 for general addmission isnt that bad. I remember the days when you used to pay £90 just to go on race day.

I agree with Carl though the traffic problems are almost gone sinse they opened the new bypass. It's taken me a hell of a lot longer to get in and out of Brands for BTCC than at the GP at Silverstone.

My vote to dump a track would of gone to Spa as the facilities were aweful. Dropping the race kicked them into action and hopefully this year it might be alot better.

Bernie always wants to dump Silverstone becuase he thinks the pits and garaged etc are aweful. As a fan I dont think the facilities are bad at all. Spa (before they upgraded this year) and Monza have miles worse facilities. Hockenheim is just weird as the only toilets are in the grandstands. I had to leave all my possessions with a Marshall just to be able to use a toiltet the rather than walk the mile or so back to the grandstand where I did have a ticket.

ChrisS
12th May 2007, 18:56
please axe the usa gp, they dont care about it, they love Nascar too much.

I don't get why people say US race fans don't care about F1. The US GP at Indy gets 120K+ spectators on race day, it may be fewer than the 200K spectators at Daytona but is more than double the attendance at Bahrain or Turkey

Ian McC
12th May 2007, 20:17
Granted the last 2 British Grand Prix's have been dull but over the last 10 years I would say its been one of the few GP's that has had consistantly good racing or eventful things happening.

Last year was worth the admission for the GP2 race alone :D

jens
12th May 2007, 20:25
They should drop Barcelona (especially as we will already have another Spanish race on the calendar), but as the contract with Barcelona has been extended to 2016, it can only be a dream...

GridGirl
12th May 2007, 20:46
Barcelona is the only GP track I've been to thats been on a par with Silverstone for facilities.

I'm guessing Bernie is presuming that Alonso is going to be round for a good few years to come. Race tickets for Barcelona have increased roughly £60 from when I went in 2002. I dont think its the cheapest GP to go to but it still looks good value.

Germany has had two races for I dont know how many years but Hockeheim was never a sell out in the latter parts of his career especially when you compare it to his Benetton days. I suppose Spain has to make sure people still want to watch Alonso in a few years time, as it will be even harder to sell out two Grand Prix's.

futuretiger9
12th May 2007, 21:27
Recent comments from Bernie indicate that Imola will not be returning to the schedule, and it would not surprise me if Magny Cours was dropped also. The organisers there appear to have some problems.

The pressure on the European venues will continue to grow, with ever more countries in Asia and the Middle East pitching for races. We will soon know how many of the traditional European races are as indispensable as they think they are.

SteveA
13th May 2007, 00:44
Spa, as an example will charge you £105 per day for general admission.

That's not correct. "Green Area" tickets are 100 eu for Sunday, or 120 eu for the whole weekend.

longisland
13th May 2007, 07:05
IMHO, Bernie's track selection criteria is quite simple. Anyone country that is willing to come up with tons of cash and agreed to his cut throat unilateral agreement will have a deal. Afterall, Bernie's in his seventies and his priority is most likely to grab as much cash as possible before passing the whole mess back to the banks. Unfortunately, there are too many countries over in Asia & the Far East that are desperate enough to dish out the green just to put the country on the map. e.g. Sepang, Bahrain, Shanghai. And now we will have Singapore and even Korea & India joining the band wagon. The big question is will the new facility improve the motorsport industry in the local scene? I was in one of the asian gp recently & I was surprised half of the spectators are foreigners. it's is pity to have a fancy track hosting only one big event once a year and nothing much else.