PDA

View Full Version : Can he do it again

Flat.tyres
11th May 2007, 16:10
Lewis is back in europe and settled in now.

Is it wrong to expect another podium or even his win.

We have to remember that this is a rookie but he seems to have similar pace out of the box as a 2x champ so what about after 1/2 season when he has the F1 experience.

Is it a possibility to be 2007 champ?

blakebeatty
11th May 2007, 16:17
Lewis looked like **** this morning. He had offs on many, many laps.

Flat.tyres
11th May 2007, 16:38
Lewis looked like **** this morning. He had offs on many, many laps.

Did he? I cant get onto f1.com which i normally use. still quick though :)

TMorel
11th May 2007, 16:38
blakebeatty
You mean he was finding the limits of the car / track ?
I seem to remember some other drivers doing that - which came in handy for them in qualifying and the race.

Schultz
11th May 2007, 16:55
i tell you what. Whether he is overhyped or not, he is getting attention from places I wouldn't expect. On the ninemsn news site they actually ran the story 'Hamilton outshines Alonso in FP1' (or something like that) on the main page. F1 gets like no attention here.... :(

ArrowsFA1
11th May 2007, 17:07
On the basis of what we've seen so far my answer to that is an emphatic NO! A podium or even a win for Hamilton is very much on the cards this weekend. A championship? I'd be amazed if he could achieve that in his first year.

Flat.tyres
11th May 2007, 17:10
"He's doing a very good job - he's well prepared and he's quick," he said.
"It's not a surprise to me after seeing his races last year. Maybe it's a surprise that he's so consistent, but there you go."

Not bad from Schumacher and he should know.

futuretiger9
12th May 2007, 21:52
Lewis is back in europe and settled in now.

We have to remember that this is a rookie but he seems to have similar pace out of the box as a 2x champ so what about after 1/2 season when he has the F1 experience.

Is it a possibility to be 2007 champ?

The thing that has amazed me about Hamilton is how he has hit the ground running. No major mistakes, and an ability to maintain consistent race pace and adapt to the F1 qualifying system, with all of its pressures.

SteveA
13th May 2007, 00:48
The thing that has amazed me about Hamilton is how he has hit the ground running.

That would seem to be the story of his life!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qt_PJqM-sRc&NR=1

BeansBeansBeans
13th May 2007, 00:53
A podium is a realistic aim for Lewis tomorrow. He's at the back of 'the leading pack' so to speak, but it appears that he has a davourable fuel strategy to Alonso, and we all know he's quick off the mark down to the first corner.

As for him winning the Championship...he may be able to match Alonso on pace, but over the course of the season, I think Alonso's experience will win out and make him the highest placed McLaren driver. I still think a Ferrari driver will become Champion this year mind.

Valve Bounce
13th May 2007, 01:42
On the basis of what we've seen so far my answer to that is an emphatic NO! A podium or even a win for Hamilton is very much on the cards this weekend. A championship? I'd be amazed if he could achieve that in his first year.

It is very confusing when you reply in the negative to a negative statement. I did a double take and had to check out the post you quoted. :p :
I do believe that it is possible for this guy to get a win and on the cards for a podium this weekend.
The interesting question here is which of the Ferraris or his team mate will he displace on the podium.

stevie_gerrard
13th May 2007, 01:50
Europe is a whole different challenge to the first few races hes had. I hope he does well, but based on his weekend so far, i could see him struggling a bit.

Flat.tyres
13th May 2007, 16:23
well, only a second but he drove well and kept his head. It would have been a hard ask to beat anyone in a Ferrari today. The red car is the best out there still.

leading the championship after 4 races aint too shabby :D

Garry Walker
13th May 2007, 20:38
A championship? I'd be amazed if he could achieve that in his first year.

You never know. Massa is the faster driver than LH, but LH has been really faultless so far, if i didnt know better, I would think "here we have a driver with years of F1 experience". The next 12-14 years in F1, Hamilton will be one of the biggest names without a doubt.

Flat.tyres
14th May 2007, 10:47
You never know. Massa is the faster driver than LH, but LH has been really faultless so far, if i didnt know better, I would think "here we have a driver with years of F1 experience". The next 12-14 years in F1, Hamilton will be one of the biggest names without a doubt.

I think youll find that lewis is already one of the biggest names in F1.

massa is a very good driver that has really matured this year. yep, a few cock-ups but is really proving himself now. I dont see how you can claim he is better than lewis though? what do you base that on.

as I see it, we have a rookie in the second best car being the youngest driver EVER to be leading the championship and has set the record of being the first rookie ever to be on the podium in not just his first 3 but 4 now races while massa in the best car is in third in the championship.

Come on, Massa is VERY experienced in F1 with the best ever driver as his mentor while Lewis is a rookie who hadn't turned a wheel in a f1 car 7 months ago yet lewis is leading.

what do you base your opinion on as that is the facts in this case.

raphael123
14th May 2007, 12:35
I think youll find that lewis is already one of the biggest names in F1.

massa is a very good driver that has really matured this year. yep, a few cock-ups but is really proving himself now. I dont see how you can claim he is better than lewis though? what do you base that on.

as I see it, we have a rookie in the second best car being the youngest driver EVER to be leading the championship and has set the record of being the first rookie ever to be on the podium in not just his first 3 but 4 now races while massa in the best car is in third in the championship.

Come on, Massa is VERY experienced in F1 with the best ever driver as his mentor while Lewis is a rookie who hadn't turned a wheel in a f1 car 7 months ago yet lewis is leading.

what do you base your opinion on as that is the facts in this case.

I agree with Garry here. I think we have to know there is a difference from doing a better job, to being quicker. So far, Lewis has without a doubt done a better job than Massa, but what Garry said was 'faster' than Lewis, which has definately been the case. I don't think anyone would argue Massa hasn't been the fastest guy this year, but reliability, and rookie mistakes have prevented him from winning the opening 4 races (thankfully!!)

Flat.tyres
21st May 2007, 12:47
anyway, back to the racing.

race number 5 is approaching and Lewis is leading the championship. i get the impression that people are waiting for him to slip up as there is a feeling that he cannot continue this sort of momentum. Rookies simply must make a mistake or two.

A lot depends on McLarens strategy and what they do with tyres and stops.

ArrowsFA1
21st May 2007, 13:01
i get the impression that people are waiting for him to slip up as there is a feeling that he cannot continue this sort of momentum.
This level of performance from a rookie has never happened before so the feeling you're talking about isn't too surprising. Of course he's bound to make a mistake...isn't he? The more we see of these faultless drives, the more is expected of Hamilton. In some ways that's unfair, but it's only because of the standards Hamilton himself is setting.

As for the comparison with Massa, I think Hamilton looks a more complete F1 driver, after just a few races, than Massa will ever be.

Valve Bounce
21st May 2007, 13:36
This level of performance from a rookie has never happened before so the feeling you're talking about isn't too surprising. Of course he's bound to make a mistake...isn't he? The more we see of these faultless drives, the more is expected of Hamilton. In some ways that's unfair, but it's only because of the standards Hamilton himself is setting.

As for the comparison with Massa, I think Hamilton looks a more complete F1 driver, after just a few races, than Massa will ever be.

It is not true that Hamilton has not made mistakes - it's just that you don't know about them, and he has the fast car to overcome his mistakes.

Anyone want to dispute this point?

No! No Links Please!!

Flat.tyres
21st May 2007, 14:48

as valve said, he has made a couple of mistakes but little ones as he settles in. no big dramas. he will make a mistake one day and all the doom merchants will jump on his back as theyve been dying to but everyone makes mistakes during a season.

The problem is that Lewis has raised the bar and this threatens people because he is probably the most complete f1 driver ever to enter the sport.

time will tell.

OmarF1
21st May 2007, 23:22
let's give Lewis some time please.