PDA

View Full Version : Barcelona Practice and Qualifying

CarlMetro
11th May 2007, 10:07
Morning everyone :wave:

Halfway through the first session and so far all 22 cars have been on track at some point already. Despite the .5 of a second improvements that Ferrari are supposed to have made, Fernando Alonso tops the timing so far.

ioan
11th May 2007, 10:26
I would like to know what Ferrari are waiting to take advantage of the full 3 hours they have on Fridays, instead of losing half of it.
Weren't 4 weeks enough to get the cars ready?

It might be because of tire sets limitations and track conditions, but it doesn't seem to bother the others!

Morning Carl :wave:

Hotlavaaaa
11th May 2007, 10:33
the second session starts at the same time as qualifying and the race so they are probably waiting until then to really figure out their setups.

CarlMetro
11th May 2007, 10:37
Kubica has just gone 4th fastest :s hock:

Jenson Button is inside the top 10 :s hock: :s hock:

Davidson 6th quickest :s hock: :s hock:

CarlMetro
11th May 2007, 10:41
1st session over.

Hamilton fastest almost 4 tenths of a second fater than Alonso and 7 tenths quicker than Massa who is down in 5th place.

Good show by both Toyotas too, both inside the top 10. Maybe Jarno gets his podium this weekend after all :\

Storm
11th May 2007, 11:19
Jarno will get his podium? :o Maybe Toyota will do the usual trick to light fuel the car to put it into top 5 rows on the grid.

McLaren fastest..thats interesting...getting the pole will be crucial tomorrow.

Oh and yeah...morning to you all...its late afternoon and I am almost falling asleep! :s

jas123f1
11th May 2007, 13:00
When looking McLaren and Ferrari times -
Only Hamilton used soft tyres in first session. I think that explains why he was that much faster than Alonso - (in thiss first session). :)

Robinho
11th May 2007, 13:01
really close from the toyotas down, most of the cars packed into the 1:23's, the slightest improvement could jump you ten places.

that indicates to me that the likes of Honda etc have slightly improved and the mid pack is going to be an even tighter scrap than before.

great performance from Davidson so far, top of the chasing pack

jens
11th May 2007, 13:06
That highly hyped Red Bull is way behind, BUT they were in last positions also at Sakhir's FP1, so everything is not lost yet for them.

And I don't know, what attitude to take about Davidson's time. Maybe FP2 gives us more answers.

And after all, did Heidfeld have some problems?

Maybe Toyota will do the usual trick to light fuel the car to put it into top 5 rows on the grid.

Top5 rows - does it mean Top10? They have consistently been there so far this season, so why do they need to go light this time?

ioan
11th May 2007, 13:13
And I don't know, what attitude to take about Davidson's time. Maybe FP2 gives us more answers.

He was on fumes doing a qualy simulation.

Sleeper
11th May 2007, 13:40
When looking McLaren and Ferrari times -
Only Hamilton used soft tyres in first session. I think that explains why he was that much faster than Alonso - (in thiss first session). :)
He was, but he was lready a tenth up on Alonso before he put the softs on, at least according to ITV.

RJL25
11th May 2007, 13:43
its typical for redbull to be slow in the first practice, regardless of how good their car is. I know i speak for all the webbo fans out there when i say that hopefully this is just a continuance of that! hopefully that redbull racer will be able to push clear of the mid pack and start challenging BMW this weekend

CarlMetro
11th May 2007, 13:45
Alright, what's going on? Speed is 3rd :s hock: Webber is 5th!

DimitraF1
11th May 2007, 13:59
Whats going on? i thought ferrari was going to be fastest from the first lap :P

CarlMetro
11th May 2007, 14:45
Second session over then.

Alonso fastest, followed by the two Renaults! Massa 4th, Hamilton 5th and Kimi 6th, almost 9 tenths off Alonsos pace.

Scott Speed maintaining 10th spot, a full half a second faster than his teammate :up:

Should be interesting qualifying tomorrow :D

ioan
11th May 2007, 14:50
Some of them practiced qualifying a lot today, at least going by the lap times.

Schultz
11th May 2007, 15:28
wow, really surprising to see the Renaults right up there! Especially considering the attitude they have had all week. It will be interesting to see what team Renault makes of their FP2 performance.

jens
11th May 2007, 15:43
Free Practice 1 times look more accurate - this is the main impression I can express now.

Btw, Renault was 2nd and 3rd also in Malaysia's FP2, but failed to make it into Q3.

andreag
11th May 2007, 17:35
Free Practice 1 times look more accurate - this is the main impression I can express now.
Do you think both Super Aguris are superior to both Renaults and to both Red Bulls?

(That was the result of FP1).

jens
11th May 2007, 19:55
Do you think both Super Aguris are superior to both Renaults and to both Red Bulls?

(That was the result of FP1).

Of course FP1 doesn't tell the whole truth, but FP1's results are closer to what is generally expected - this is what I meant.

Ian McC
11th May 2007, 20:04
Interesting performance from the Renaults, wonder if they can translate that to anything useful tomorrow.

Shalafi
11th May 2007, 21:08
Interesting performance from the Renaults, wonder if they can translate that to anything useful tomorrow.

Well, Heikki wasnt too optimistic. He said that their good pace was because they drove with a little amount of fuel in the end. He also said that they will have to fight hard to get to top-10 in quali and it will be very tight fight between Toyota, Williams, Red Bull, Renault and even with Aguri...so lets see what will happen.

raikk
11th May 2007, 23:30
Mclaren are looking great in the practices! keep up the good work guys!

Timber
12th May 2007, 00:47
i am not sure why you would say that

ioan
12th May 2007, 13:12
Started the qualy session 1.
Track temprature 48 Celsius grades.

ioan
12th May 2007, 13:13
Sato almost matches DC's time! :eek:

Ian McC
12th May 2007, 13:24
Toyota show no sign of improving, Ralf fails to get through into the second session.

ioan
12th May 2007, 13:25
What is going on with Webber, live commentary isn't working I only get the times?

Ian McC
12th May 2007, 13:26
What is going on with Webber, live commentary isn't working I only get the times?

Had a problem with the car, didn't get the chance to go out again.

ioan
12th May 2007, 13:26
Toyota show no sign of improving, Ralf fails to get through into the second session.

Right, and Jarno made it by 0.007 seconds on his last attempt!

ioan
12th May 2007, 13:27
Had a problem with the car, didn't get the chance to go out again.

Will get some passing than tomorrow, well maybe more than the usual few here.

ShiftingGears
12th May 2007, 13:29
Suspected hydralics problems for Webber. Hamilton seriously quick! If he can grab pole here I think he will have the race win. We shall see!

Ranger
12th May 2007, 13:30
Will get some passing than tomorrow, well maybe more than the usual few here.

That's if he isn't wiped out on lap 1...

ioan
12th May 2007, 13:35
Jarno just found 6 tenths!

ioan
12th May 2007, 13:36
DC goes 0.8 faster than his previous best.

ioan
12th May 2007, 13:40
:eek: They are all getting faster and faster!

ioan
12th May 2007, 13:43
What happened to Sato?
This bloody commentary on f1.com is still not working. :(

ioan
12th May 2007, 13:45
So Sato's car broke! :(
He'll start last probably, so another driver to give us some passing tomorrow!

Ian McC
12th May 2007, 13:46
DC flying again! Looks up for it again this weekend!

pino
12th May 2007, 13:47
Jarno just found 6 tenths!

Surprised ? I am not :p :

ioan
12th May 2007, 13:50
Surprised ? I am not :p :

There is still a bit more before that podium! :p :

Ian McC
12th May 2007, 13:53
Jarno's strength has always been qualifying, using that on the Sunday has been a different matter.

pino
12th May 2007, 13:53
There is still a bit more before that podium! :p :

And plenty of time for Jarno to improve :p :

ioan
12th May 2007, 14:09
And Felipe does it again, beating the lighter McLaren of Alonso.
Good quali by Ferrari! :up:

ioan
12th May 2007, 14:11
Trulli managed to outqualify Heidfeld.
Kovaleinen run out of gas on his in lap?

pino
12th May 2007, 14:13
Congrats to Massa and bravo Jarno :up: :D

Robinho
12th May 2007, 14:14
how do you know he is lighter?

looks like nothing to choose between the top 4 again, great job by massa, would surmise that Massa and Alonso are on pretty similar fuel loads, and Kimi and Hamilton slightly heavier, those 2 pairs are so close together in times and the Mclarens and Ferraris again look pretty equal, potentially a great race tomorrow, although unforyunately it will probably be sorted in the pits.

again, great job by Massa, but i think all 4 were looking good

pino
12th May 2007, 14:26
Can't wait for tomorrow's start and the first turn...is going to be hot very hot :s mokin: :D

BeansBeansBeans
12th May 2007, 14:31
Can't wait for tomorrow's start and the first turn...is going to be hot very hot :s mokin: :D

Spot on! This season is shaping up to be a classic fight between the two top teams. Massa was phenomenal today. He's really bounced back from Malaysia, and is giving Kimi more than a run for his money, which in all honesty, I never would have predicted. Bravo Felipe!

truefan72
12th May 2007, 14:33
Hamilton and Kimmi were both driving with slightly heavier fuel loads. Kimi probably for strategic reasons and Hamlton becuase they wanted to give Alonso the pole! IMO

Left to his own strategy, LH would have probably started on a lighter fuel load in order to attempt to drive away at the begining of the race. Why McClaren didn't want to see both cars on the front row is beyond me. politics methinks. I heard that they kept Hamilton out of the testing and let PDL run with Alonso.

Anyway, lets hope for an exciting start tomorrrow. The whole race will boil down to the first few laps. I also predict an unlikely retirement to shake things up.

Timber
12th May 2007, 14:53
Hamilton and Kimmi were both driving with slightly heavier fuel loads. Kimi probably for strategic reasons and Hamlton becuase they wanted to give Alonso the pole

How do you know that ? Unless you are working for the team i cannot see how you could possibly say that ....

truefan72
12th May 2007, 15:08
You would have to be blind , deaf and dumb, not to see how Alonso would be set up to get the pole in his one and only home GP in 2007. Not to mention that Hamilton has been consitently quicker than Alonso all weekend until the final Quali session. That would indicate runnig a heavier fuel load, and for what purpose? Hamilton is co-leader of the WDC and is not playing second fiddle to anyone. So unless they are trully running two independent team strategies ( which they should as both drivers are more competitors than team mates at this point ala Ferrari) then it's a team move /or at the very least Alonso's request ( since he can probably call his shots) to run lighter to get the pole.

I honestly feel that LH is getting to him. Alonso has never faced such a challenge before from a teammate in terms of speed, popularity and performance. As poeple have already reported, his deameanor towards LH is getting colder. So far LH has been given poor race strategy from the team.
IMO he should run lighter on stint one on hard compound then finish off the final stinst on the soft compounds with a heavier middle run and a lighter short sprint run at the end.

can't wait for the race, high drama all around.

I am sure such complexities are also arising up at Ferrari albeit in a more fair manner. It has been a while since 4 drivers have had a legit shot at the WDc with Heidfeld/BMW as a serious dark horse if any of the top 4 should slip

Dave B
12th May 2007, 15:52
According to the legendarily accurate ITV commentary, whichever McLaren driver is faster in the second session has first choice for fuel load and race strategy.

If (big IF) that was the case today, then Hamilton would have first dibs, so his relatively disappointing 4th place on the grid could well translate into better race strategy.

The one saving grace about this current rediculous qualifying system is that there's some element of mystery which will only be revealed once the red lights go out tommorow! :D

I do agree that despite Alonso's protests to the contrary, he takes the threat from Hamilton very seriously indeed. To say that he's rattled may be taking things too far, I think Fernando's stronger than that, but he definately recognises that there's a talent and a determination in Lewis than simply wasn't evident in Fisichella.

Ian McC
12th May 2007, 15:54
The way Hamilton has been starting I would not be surprised to find him second by the end of the first lap.

ArrowsFA1
12th May 2007, 16:08
He doesn't :p : We'll find out tomorrow.

Massa is "happy", Alonso is "confident", and Kimi has a "difficult" car. The start, and race strategy, are both vital on this circuit where it is tough to pass, so it's going to be a game of poker tomorrow :s mokin:

Dave B
12th May 2007, 16:55
Heavy?

Speaking to ITV-F1 pit reporter Louise Goodman immediately after qualifying, Hamilton all but confirmed that he was carrying more fuel than team-mate Fernando Alonso – saying this accounted for the 0.3s margin between them in Q3.

“We weren’t able to get any further up than fourth – I’m getting used to that position now in qualifying,” he said.

“But we had a slightly different strategy than Fernando at least, and I think we’re in good shape for tomorrow.

“If you work it out, I was just as quick, if not maybe quicker. But we will see.”

Full story: http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?PO_ID=39206

jens
12th May 2007, 17:01
Toyota had some problems yesterday in FP2 (therefore weak times) and that struggle continued in Q1. I was really worried during Q1, because Ralf dropped out and Jarno quite narrowly managed to get into Q2, but it seemed that Toyota continued to try to find a better setup even during qualifying (the discussion could be noticed even on team radio) and in Q2 Jarno already managed 8th time, which marked a great improvement. And P6 in Q3 is of course amazing - I couldn't believe my eyes, when I saw Trulli's name higher than Heidfeld's in the rankings! :up: Probably it will be tough to keep the speed of BMWs tomorrow, but a Top8 placing should be possible.

And also a praise to Coulthard - clearly his best quali performance this season! :up:

VkmSpouge
12th May 2007, 17:18
Hamilton and Raikkonen are probably on slightly heavier fuel loads than their respective team mates. Should make for an interesting tactical pit battle tomorrow.

andreag
12th May 2007, 17:27
Hamilton has been consitently quicker than Alonso all weekend until the final Quali session.
On P1 LH was 0.388 s. faster.
On P2 FA was 0.791 s. faster.
On P3 LH was 0.079 s. faster.

Do you call this "consistently"?

“But we had a slightly different strategy than Fernando at least, and I think we’re in good shape for tomorrow."
What Lewis means with "we"?

Aren't both of them running in the same team?

Is he driving a two seater?

slinkster
12th May 2007, 18:57
Actually enjoyed watching qualifying for a change, I usually miss it. Nice bit of action towards the end with Massa pipping the post from Alonso last minute. I was pleased to see Heikki outqualifying Fisi too. Seems to be a good enough lineup and should be an interesting race tomorrow. I love how resolute and calm Hamilton always is, you can just tell he's loving every second of this whole thing. :)

F1boat
12th May 2007, 19:06
I think that Hamilton is trying to intimidate Alonso, I think that the difference in strategy could be no more than 2 or 3 laps. I don't think that Kimi is heavier, though.
And of course, I could be completely wrong :)

ioan
12th May 2007, 19:13
On P1 LH was 0.388 s. faster.
On P2 FA was 0.791 s. faster.
On P3 LH was 0.079 s. faster.

Do you call this "consistently"?

You might want to add the first 2 parts of the qualifying session and than you get 4 times out of 5, which by any means it's 80%, and that's pretty much consistent.

What Lewis means with "we"?

Aren't both of them running in the same team?

Is he driving a two seater?

They are all saying the same "WE" take a look at Kimi's answers in the post race conference, you'll believe that Him and Felipe have the same problems.

ioan
12th May 2007, 19:14
I think that Hamilton is trying to intimidate Alonso, I think that the difference in strategy could be no more than 2 or 3 laps. I don't think that Kimi is heavier, though.
And of course, I could be completely wrong :)

3 laps is more than enough! But I believe that Lewis was expecting to be closer to Alonso.

ioan
12th May 2007, 19:20

Based on the times from Q1 and Q2, when they all run on the minimum necessary fuel loads. FM was 0.234 and 0.2 seconds faster than FA, that accounts for about 1 lap of fuel.

F1boat
12th May 2007, 19:21
3 laps is more than enough!

It depends. If there are cars between Fred and Lewis, it is not enough. Depends on gap, traffic...

airshifter
12th May 2007, 20:03
It's fun watching everyone speculate on fuel loads and strategy, when so many times in the past it was quite the opposite!

I think Sato is sandbagging. He's going to run a no stopper strategy, and by timing traffic to avoid any lost momentum, he will switch to the soft tires with 2 laps to go. Then with fresh rubber he will overtake Kimi, Fernando, Lewis and Felipe on the final corner with a bold outside overtaking move.

And anyone that can't see how obvious that is should review the race weekend up to this point! :laugh:

Roamy
12th May 2007, 20:06
Ok help me out here. Fuel weighs 6 lbs per gallon. F1 cars I believe get 1 mile to the gallon = therefore it is 12 pounds to go one lap. So go pick up 12 pounds and tell me if you really think that is 2 tenths a lap. I seriously doubt it and if my star driver is sucking wind over 12 pounds I am in the market for a new driver.

Shalafi
12th May 2007, 20:45
Many people have bashed Heikki but after Oz he has been par with Fisi who has(with exception of Alonso) beated every team-mate he has had. I think Heikki will have a very bright future in F1 and Im very happy for him. He is one of the most likeable guys in the grid.

futuretiger9
12th May 2007, 21:29
The important thing for Heikki is not to panic, and to keep working hard, and try to match Fisichella, which will be a feather in his cap. If he can demonstrate that he is making small improvements, that will please the team. He needs a few good solid finishes to boost his confidence.

Ian McC
12th May 2007, 22:44
He has a good 8th place, really needs a good start tomorrow.

Timber
13th May 2007, 02:37
You would have to be blind , deaf and dumb, not to see how Alonso would be set up to get the pole in his one and only home GP in 2007.

I am neither deaf or dumb . Is it just that maybe , Alfonso was quicker then Hamilton today , so were two other drivers . Alfonso has won 2 world championships a number of races beating 7 times world champion Schumaker but he need his team to help him beat Hamilton ..... Right !

:rolleyes:

andreag
13th May 2007, 02:48
You might want to add the first 2 parts of the qualifying session and than you get 4 times out of 5, which by any means it's 80%, and that's pretty much consistent.
And you might want to add Q3 and you'd get 4 out of 6, wich indeed means nothing, as the only important sixth is precisely Q3.

The race is after that the absolutely most important one, as it is where drivers get their points.

Come on, Ioan, you know it very well. Do you want a sumarized resume of last season (how many times every driver got a an advantage on P1, P2, P3, Q1, Q2, and Q3)?

Do you want me to remind you the final result of both championships (figures are slightly different than the addition of practice and qualifying sessions' results)?

They are all saying the same "WE" take a look at Kimi's answers in the post race conference, you'll believe that Him and Felipe have the same problems.
Do you think this is OK?

I've seen other drivers saying "we" when they were referring to their teams (I would say it too); but I have to admit I didn't realize how Kimi talks about it (maybe his speechs are so boring that I'm sleeping when I read them).

I thought the only one using this majestatic plural was the Pope.

ioan
13th May 2007, 09:44
And you might want to add Q3 and you'd get 4 out of 6, wich indeed means nothing, as the only important sixth is precisely Q3.

Which exactly when they surely run different fuel loads, that's why I didn't added it! :rollyes:

Flat.tyres
13th May 2007, 11:23
According to the legendarily accurate ITV commentary, whichever McLaren driver is faster in the second session has first choice for fuel load and race strategy.

If (big IF) that was the case today, then Hamilton would have first dibs, so his relatively disappointing 4th place on the grid could well translate into better race strategy.

The one saving grace about this current rediculous qualifying system is that there's some element of mystery which will only be revealed once the red lights go out tommorow! :D

I do agree that despite Alonso's protests to the contrary, he takes the threat from Hamilton very seriously indeed. To say that he's rattled may be taking things too far, I think Fernando's stronger than that, but he definately recognises that there's a talent and a determination in Lewis than simply wasn't evident in Fisichella.

There was a bit of fall out recently at mac. Someone (cant remember who) was quoted as saying they wanted to help lewis to the championship. Alonso apparently went ape**** saying he was being undermined. there was a sort of crisis meeting where alonso was reassured that he was the numero uno driver and the team was firmly behind him.

Make no mistake, alonso is the #1 driver and lewis is supposed to support if possible. what will be interesting is if a 1/2 time, they are still close or lewis is ahead, what the decision of ron will be. at the moment i think that fernando is very concerned about his team mate. he never expected the young englishman to be this good out of the blocks. not only him but kimi and massa as well. i wonder how many of the top 3 on the grid slept well last night knowing lewis was behind them on the grid. Perhaps ferrari might change their silly mirrors to make them a bit more useful in future ;)

Ian McC
13th May 2007, 13:11
I think Pino will be swearing at the TV right now.

ioan
13th May 2007, 15:25
Perhaps ferrari might change their silly mirrors to make them a bit more useful in future ;)

No need for that Felipe could barely see Hamilton after a few laps! :D

Robinho
13th May 2007, 19:04
Based on the times from Q1 and Q2, when they all run on the minimum necessary fuel loads. FM was 0.234 and 0.2 seconds faster than FA, that accounts for about 1 lap of fuel.

one thing we do now know, Alonso and Massa were on the same fuel in qually, as such it was still a great pole for Massa, but only an equal one, not one over a light car as surmised.

its a pity Mclaren can't extract the same race pace from the car, they seem to be very close over one lap, but the Ferrari does still seem to have an edge in race trim.

ioan
13th May 2007, 19:51
Yep, they were on similar fuel loads, my bad.

airshifter
14th May 2007, 19:01
It's fun watching everyone speculate on fuel loads and strategy, when so many times in the past it was quite the opposite!

I think Sato is sandbagging. He's going to run a no stopper strategy, and by timing traffic to avoid any lost momentum, he will switch to the soft tires with 2 laps to go. Then with fresh rubber he will overtake Kimi, Fernando, Lewis and Felipe on the final corner with a bold outside overtaking move.

And anyone that can't see how obvious that is should review the race weekend up to this point! :laugh:

If not for Kimi's car failure, Takuma would have made his move to the front! :D