PDA

View Full Version : Jumping for the SCSA Charities

racing59
10th May 2007, 22:08
My wife (shuz7) has decided that the SCSA Charity cars need some more support!

Her idea is simple - a sponsored parachute jump.

Who's up for it? SCSA fans? SCSA team members? SCSA drivers?

She's said that she'll do it on her own if nobody else has the bottle.

The jump is free, providing you can raise £300 in sponsorship, which shouldn't be that difficult.....

The jump would be with UK Parachuting at Old Buckenham Airfield, Attleborough, Norfolk.

Obviously, you're going to need to contact your chosen charity to let them know what you're doing, and they may have some ready cooked sponsorship forms to save you some time & grief.

Roll up, roll up. Let's be 'avin' ya!

Rob.

cgs
10th May 2007, 22:36
i'd love to but i don't think i'll be able to raise £300. i dont know enough people :(

racing59
11th May 2007, 00:04
If you think of it as getting 60 people to donate a fiver.
That's not much more than a bus-full.

bravheart
11th May 2007, 00:30
Sounds like a great idea Rob but knowing my luck and walls, i would probably find 1 on landing!!

racing59
11th May 2007, 06:30
I'm sure you could think of someone else you'd like to throw out of a plane?
(with a parachute on, of course!)

Chigley
11th May 2007, 09:43
Rob, when is Suz thinking of doing this, I don't know if I've got the balls and I'd have to check with the doc if my knee could stand it. Where's Norfolk? is that a suburb of Siberia?

Chigley
11th May 2007, 09:45
BTW, Jordygirl is into all things fitness and is as mad as a March hare. ;)

shuz7
11th May 2007, 11:15
We live in Bedfordshire and Norfolk is about an hour or so drive away. Come on, I dare you....

TORQUESPEED MAN
11th May 2007, 11:48
What about crew chiefs.

Quorky did a couple of jumps when he was in the USA working with the ASA race team. He has NO FEAR !

I am sure all of us at Torquespeed could chip in and raise some of the money required.

That would get Duncan off the hook if his crew chief did it for him.

GO FOR IT QUORKY

Chigley
11th May 2007, 11:55
Come on, I dare you....

Fatal words to dare me!!! Subject to medical advice .............?

bmw fan
11th May 2007, 11:57
Awesome if Quorky did that, all us fans who support Duncan and the #31 crew we would chip in!
I personally would donate £20.

Go Quorky go

PitMarshal
11th May 2007, 12:24
A mate spent years trying to persuade me to do one of these, but I don't think I'd have the bottle. I mean, why jump out of a working aeroplane?

deadsquirrel
11th May 2007, 12:44
Fatal words to dare me!!! Subject to medical advice .............?

I must admit, you are top of my list..... :) ;)

shuz7
11th May 2007, 13:48
I have just spoken to my doctor, and because of my height and weight he has recomended that I DON'T do it. I was looking forward to doing this. Never mind.

If anyone can think of anything else, please let me know.

Sorry about the jump, but don't let me stop you.

Filray
11th May 2007, 15:24
Donations from Filray Web Design Ltd to the Air Ambulance for the following participants (I use that word loosely) in the Parachute Jump

Quorky £10.00
Duncan £15.00
Tractor Boy £20.00
Jo Gray £25.00
Duane £30.00!!!!!

It took my wife 15 years to get me into a plane - there is NOT ENOUGH MONEY IN THE WORLD to get me to jump out of one!

Jordygirl
11th May 2007, 16:01
BTW, Jordygirl is into all things fitness and is as mad as a March hare. ;)

Thanks for the compliment Ian. Jumping out of a plane is on my list of things to do. :rotflmao:

english4ever
11th May 2007, 17:49
I'm up for it !! its just the worry of not raising the £300 When is it planned for??

english4ever
11th May 2007, 17:53
I've got a few crazy mates that would jump out of a plane with me aswell.

racing59
11th May 2007, 23:03
I'm up for it !! its just the worry of not raising the £300 When is it planned for??

No plans have been finalised. Suzanne was really hoping to do this herself, but the Doc has said no, and if the GP says no, that's it.

She's not very happy now :( and is looking at other things "exciting" to do, that won't get the doc wagging his finger in a "no you don't" sort of way, which will raise (a) funds for the charities, and (b) the profile of the series.

Those that still want to jump, look up "UK Parachuting" on the internet.

Rob.

just_smile99
12th May 2007, 11:38
I'll do it! I'm up for anything to do with charity! Whatever it is i'll give it a go!

Might not be able to raise £300 but its worth a shot

Laura

X

PitMarshal
12th May 2007, 17:08
Phew! Had a look at the website and unfortunately I'm a little bit over the weight limit. Never mind... Bring on the next mad idea Rob.

Sticker Rub
12th May 2007, 17:43
I'd strongly recommend anyone who's thinking of doing this to give it a go. I jumped at Thruxton many years ago & it's an amazing experience. I'd love to do it again but my skydiving career was ended after several knee injuries (one a freak accident training for the jump(!), one playing Trivial Pursuit & another involving a bean bag)

Filray
12th May 2007, 18:18
Do pray tell us more about the bean bag! - the mind boggles

Tiesse
12th May 2007, 18:33

It's Trivial Pursuit that's got me baffled!!

cgs
12th May 2007, 19:29
i really, really want to skydive and free-fall for a bit. i've wanted to it for years so if i can raise £300 or more i'd definately like to do it

just_smile99
12th May 2007, 20:16
Howz about getting a line of guys and getting them to have their legs waxed? And i could do the waxing! :D

Preferably guys from teams???

X

Reynard
12th May 2007, 22:12
Howz about getting a line of guys and getting them to have their legs waxed? And i could do the waxing! :D

Preferably guys from teams???

X

And I'd be first in the queue to watch I'm sure - and capture it on camera for posterity. If you could get Colin White to do it, I may even cough up some cash! :laugh:

Chigley
13th May 2007, 00:00
Lets get Laura and Witty lined up and see if there's any sawdust in their heads. :D

Howz about getting a line of guys and getting them to have their legs waxed
And I'd be first in the queue to watch I'm sure - and capture it on camera for posterity

Bloody stupid idea ;) :)

tdb
13th May 2007, 03:08
I'll do it! I'm up for anything to do with charity! Whatever it is i'll give it a go!

Might not be able to raise £300 but its worth a shot

Laura

X

I can't do the jump because of plastic knee and pins in my legs! (long story, motorbikes are dangerous!)

but if you jump laura, i pledge £100!

who's up for raising the other 200??????

but we will want pics and a costume is a must!!!!

fastbob
13th May 2007, 09:27
i've never known such a small circle of people with so many bad knee's.

As for leg waxing..... The blokes that are up for it would look odd with just a leg waxed.... you'll have to go for a total body wax Laura.

just_smile99
13th May 2007, 11:13
Lets get Laura and Witty lined up and see if there's any sawdust in their heads. :D

Waxing isnt painful! I get it done all the time!!!

"
I can't do the jump because of plastic knee and pins in my legs! (long story, motorbikes are dangerous!)

but if you jump laura, i pledge £100!

who's up for raising the other 200??????

but we will want pics and a costume is a must!!!!"

I will deffinatly do it, as for costume, what would you like me to wear? lol

I'd be happy to do a full body wax lol, theres just one area that i wont do!!!

X

racing59
13th May 2007, 15:56
Your head?

Sticker Rub
13th May 2007, 17:17

It's Trivial Pursuit that's got me baffled!!

I thought you'd be intrigued! Once you've dislocated a joint, it tends to pop out without warning. The Trivial Pursuit incident happened about 20 years ago when I knelt down to get Trivial Pursuit out from under my (now) wife's bed. I've said too much already but I'm sure you can tell it was pretty steamy in those days :)

The bean bag incident happened about 3 years ago one Sunday morning while I was thinking about decorating my son's bedroom. My knee popped out while getting out of the bean bag & I ended up having to call an ambulance. I can highly recommend gas & air.

It's happened a couple of times in between but in very boring & normal circumstances.

That's where my login comes from: I have a tendency to minor accidents.

Anyone who marshals with me, beware. I may need a full lift from time to time.

Old Stock Nut
13th May 2007, 18:41
What about a session after the next meeting when we could drive our own cars round the track for a few laps (in formatoin to reduce any insurance problems) at about a fiver a time? Or what about some two-seater rides on Saturday with a wedge of the takings going to charity?

PitMarshal
13th May 2007, 21:11
As an alternative to jumping out of an aeroplane, how about jumping off of a building? A charity in my neck of the woods have an annual event where they set up some climbing gear on the roof of a hotel in Reading, and people can "walk" down the side of the building. Then again, does the Rockingham building have any flat faces on it?

racing59
14th May 2007, 11:22
Then I thought you were going to suggest some base-jumping!

Two seater rides... there's an idea (again!). We had "road car" rides on the circuit at the last meeting. One of the problems is always the I word. Insurance.

The £5 a lap idea sounds do-able if the BRSCC/circuit would permit it, and a suitable disclaimer worded/signed.

The more ideas the better. Then come October, we'll know where we're going with it all....

shuz7
14th May 2007, 12:38
I think the leg waxing is a very good idea. Who's up for it? or how about at the end of the day, all the drivers walk around the oval or how about a karting race?

What does everyone think....

shuz7
14th May 2007, 12:45
When I was trying to get Rob sponsorship, a couple of companies donated other items like a garden shed and an expensive bottle of red wine (£12 or so). I was going to buy a book of raffle tickets and sell them on the race day to anyone interested in raising money not only for Rob but the Air Ambulance, but I since found out I can't because I'm not registered to do so. Never mind.

Nick Brad
14th May 2007, 13:09
I'm all for some alternative suggestions for raising money, there is no way I'd jump out of a plane with my fear of heights. It took me a few meetings to be comfortable with the top of the Rockingham building and even now I can't walk up/down the stairs without either talking to someone else or staring at the power station which is far enough away to limit the perception of being at height.

However ladies, my legs are hairy and they're going to stay that way! ;)

deadsquirrel
14th May 2007, 13:29
I think the leg waxing is a very good idea. Who's up for it? or how about at the end of the day, all the drivers walk around the oval or how about a karting race?

I think I should volunteer the Safety Team for all the above. Forget Terry Grant for lunchtime entertainment, put some chairs on start finish and get the wax out. A sponsored run round the oval might work - so many £ per turn maybe ('cos I'm sure some wouldn't do 1.479 miles).

I think an end of season kart evening was mentioned a season or two ago - maybe something to sort out again, with part of the entry fee to the chosen charities - an Air Ambulance team, FSBF team etc? SCSA drivers being captains etc etc.

Can't organise the above, but am more than happy to assist if necessary

Henry Cutts
14th May 2007, 13:52
I think I should volunteer the Safety Team for all the above. Forget Terry Grant for lunchtime entertainment, put some chairs on start finish and get the wax out. A sponsored run round the oval might work - so many £ per turn maybe ('cos I'm sure some wouldn't do 1.479 miles).

I think an end of season kart evening was mentioned a season or two ago - maybe something to sort out again, with part of the entry fee to the chosen charities - an Air Ambulance team, FSBF team etc? SCSA drivers being captains etc etc.

Can't organise the above, but am more than happy to assist if necessary

I would be happy to organise / help to arrange a Kart race.

just_smile99
14th May 2007, 18:43

I'm sure most people no but i'm a trained beauty therapist and i've got the wax pot and wax all ready!

Get people to pay like an extra so much and they can pull a wax strip of whoever is having it done! Raise a bit more

X

shuz7
14th May 2007, 19:14
I don't think the men are keen on the waxing. We need to sort something out.

shuz7
14th May 2007, 19:19
I've just nominated / told Rob he's having his legs waxed at the end of the June meeting on Sunday (all for fun). Please bring your camera and wax pot.

Please could everyone sponsor him as much as you can.

shuz7
14th May 2007, 19:31
Duncan, Lee I know you are hiding, how about you two as well??

quorky
14th May 2007, 19:34
u raise the 300 hundred and il jump as long as i pack the parshoot

quorky
14th May 2007, 19:39
if u get the three hundred and il jump p.s. il pack my own parchoot

just_smile99
14th May 2007, 19:51
I no we're on about doing it for the cars but how about getting some of the truck guys involved? i'm sure we could get a few more involved then?

i'll have a word with my dad too, he's on revolutiong!!1 hehehehe could be fun

X

PitMarshal
14th May 2007, 20:30
Quote "Duncan, Lee I know you are hiding"

Quaking in fear somewhere I expect. Am I the only one worried by this sudden obsession with waxing? Remind me to steer well clear of the 59 and 9 pits next meeting...

just_smile99
14th May 2007, 20:37
Quaking in fear somewhere I expect. Am I the only one worried by this sudden obsession with waxing? Remind me to steer well clear of the 59 and 9 pits next meeting...

Hehehehe...its not painful at all, well after the first few strips its not!!! And its for charity, just a quick somthing we can do at the race meeting and get everyone involved! You fancy it???

Laura

XxXxX

quorky
14th May 2007, 20:38
Donations from Filray Web Design Ltd to the Air Ambulance for the following participants (I use that word loosely) in the Parachute Jump

Quorky £10.00
Duncan £15.00
Tractor Boy £20.00
Jo Gray £25.00
Duane £30.00!!!!!

It took my wife 15 years to get me into a plane - there is NOT ENOUGH MONEY IN THE WORLD to get me to jump out of one!
u raise the money quorky jumps p.s. i pack my own parachute and cycle clips

just_smile99
14th May 2007, 21:03
u raise the money quorky jumps p.s. i pack my own parachute and cycle clips

i'd sponser you a tenner!

X

shuz7
14th May 2007, 21:09
Is that for leg waxing?

just_smile99
14th May 2007, 21:18
Is that for leg waxing?

For both lol

I'll also supply the painkillers if anyone wishes to have before the waxing starts

X

racing59
14th May 2007, 21:22
I'll probably still be running on adrenalin

PitMarshal
14th May 2007, 21:22
'Hehehehe...its not painful at all, well after the first few strips its not!!! And its for charity, just a quick somthing we can do at the race meeting and get everyone involved! You fancy it???'

Hmm, how can I put this politely?

Not a &!@%*# chance!

If anyone is brave enough to do the parachuting, I'll contribute a tenner.

If anyone is daft enough to do the waxing, I'll pay for the the post-traumatic stress counselling.....

shuz7
14th May 2007, 21:26
Shall I put you down for a tenner then?

just_smile99
14th May 2007, 21:32
'Hehehehe...its not painful at all, well after the first few strips its not!!! And its for charity, just a quick somthing we can do at the race meeting and get everyone involved! You fancy it???'

Hmm, how can I put this politely?

Not a &!@%*# chance!

If anyone is brave enough to do the parachuting, I'll contribute a tenner.

If anyone is daft enough to do the waxing, I'll pay for the the post-traumatic stress counselling.....

Surely we can persuade you somehow??? A nice massage afterwards!?!

X

Filray
14th May 2007, 22:16
u raise the 300 hundred and il jump as long as i pack the parshoot

Quorky

Your sponsorship from me has just gone up to £25.00
I make that £35.00 so far

Come on people its for a great charity!!

You never know - YOU may need them one day

shuz7
14th May 2007, 22:30
How about sponsoring Rob for his waxing legs. Its all booked....

english4ever
14th May 2007, 22:38
I'll jump aswell Quork, looks like its just me an you!! will rog do it?? then its all the 31 crew!!

just_smile99
15th May 2007, 11:46
i'll do the jump as well..gotta raise the money now i guess

X

shuz7
15th May 2007, 15:53
I wish I could do this jump. I was really looking forward it.

just_smile99
17th May 2007, 18:14
So whos intetrested in doing this jump then?

X

syd
27th May 2007, 21:19
When I was trying to get Rob sponsorship, a couple of companies donated other items like a garden shed and an expensive bottle of red wine (£12 or so). I was going to buy a book of raffle tickets and sell them on the race day to anyone interested in raising money not only for Rob but the Air Ambulance, but I since found out I can't because I'm not registered to do so. Never mind.

Suzanne,

Look into it, maybe wrong but thought you could only sell pre-printed tickets over a period of time if registered but if just sold on the day and drawn then could be done or alternatively how about a tombola and pray that the prizes don't get won too early!! Or sell the shed on Ebay.

syd
27th May 2007, 21:27

Tractor, sure you could raise the money, everytime you go to the pub get your mates to put the cost of your pint in a pot and you'll soon have it.....ha ha. Bonus of that is you'll get fitter to do the other thing as well......DO IT!
I'll sponsor you £10

xxxx

shuz7
5th June 2007, 15:23
How many of you are doing this jump now?