PDA

View Full Version : Why ain't we doing something like this?....

racing59
10th May 2007, 21:51
Have a sniff at this lot. (Powernights)

I had my doubts at first, but Roger Etcell has got some backing for it, and you never know, it might just work.....

http://www.msportuk.com/news/2007/q2/20070509_powernights.php

Then again, rather than doing something "like" this, should we be involved?
What's the curfew time? Is it worth doing a deal with Corby council to get a number of "night" races on the cards for the summer and joining up with this initiative?

After all, short oval racing attracts good crowds mid-week, or at least, it used to.

For the SCSA, reverse grid races, 20 lappers, quickfire.

Rob.

JDPower
10th May 2007, 22:22
Lets just see if this exists in a year or two (I doubt it). I should think the costs would be prohibitive for SCSA/Rockingham.

Abo
11th May 2007, 09:07
Have a sniff at this lot. (Powernights)

I had my doubts at first, but Roger Etcell has got some backing for it, and you never know, it might just work.....

http://www.msportuk.com/news/2007/q2/20070509_powernights.php

Then again, rather than doing something "like" this, should we be involved?
What's the curfew time? Is it worth doing a deal with Corby council to get a number of "night" races on the cards for the summer and joining up with this initiative?

After all, short oval racing attracts good crowds mid-week, or at least, it used to.

For the SCSA, reverse grid races, 20 lappers, quickfire.

Rob.

There's no way the local NIMBYs will go for it. No way on this planet...

chrisn
11th May 2007, 09:23
Planning restrictions when I was at Rockingham precluded running race cars after hours and I suspect that those restictions are still in place.

Yes it is a great idea and Rockingham would be the ideal place to do something like this - we always wanted to do something similar in the old days in a short oval sort of way.

What chances of easing planning restrictions at this stage now - very unlikely I would suggest.

Pity.

Chris N

chrisn
11th May 2007, 09:25
PS; Who now works for Roger Etcell - Jeff Carter!

Join the dots up............

Chris N

acorn
11th May 2007, 11:05
[quote="racing59"]

QUOTE]

there's not many midweek meetings now and regular ones are traditional ie eastbourne, yarmouth(deliberately catering for the holidaymaker season). knockhill has wednesday nights on their short oval(iirc). look at the short oval fixture lists and meetings are primarily friday/saturday night or sunday/night with the odd bank holiday meeting thrown in.

short oval (evening)racing under the lights is ace as your attention is focused on the track and not on the surroundings.

i cannot see this initiative being a success. i definitely can't see it coming to rockingham at any stage(nimbys) even though it would be a far superior venue for the spectator experience than donington or silverstone.

Chigley
11th May 2007, 11:52
One other item to muddy the waters. Who would be licensing and organising these events? It's stated that the MSA are supporting the events, if they are MSA licensed they will need MSA licensed marshals. "All" marshals are working volunteers who travel considerable distances to support events at the weekend, the chances of getting a minimum manning level during the week at Rockingham are virtually nil. To use the Rockingham who man the circuit during the week would probably mean volunteers doing overtime and who is going to pay for that?

:)

deadsquirrel
11th May 2007, 12:48
One other item to muddy the waters. Who would be licensing and organising these events? It's stated that the MSA are supporting the events, if they are MSA licensed they will need MSA licensed marshals. "All" marshals are working volunteers who travel considerable distances to support events at the weekend, the chances of getting a minimum manning level during the week at Rockingham are virtually nil. To use the Rockingham who man the circuit during the week would probably mean volunteers doing overtime and who is going to pay for that?

:)

These events are planned to run with 'minimum' marshalling numbers - I don't know what the Donington level is, but Rockingham COULD be manned I believe with less than 10 (flag) marshals. Incidentwise, I believe some FIV type system is being considered for the POowerNights. :)

chrisn
11th May 2007, 15:03
Dead Squirrel is right Chigley. Increasingly the sport will have to think outside the box for new concepts like this - if there is an audience for such events then they cannot fail simply because MSA regulations will not allow it or not enough volunteer marshals can be found to get to the circuit in time to meet standard marshalling practices/requirements.

There are other ways of doing things with CCTV, warning lights, multi discipline fast intervention crews etc and I would suggest that the circuits have been carefully chosen with this in mind. The frustration is that this is exactly what we were pioneering at Rockingham and it would have been an ideal venue to do it for spectators. I would have loved to do something like this in my time there.

Unfortunately the nearby residents, and indeed soon to be nearby residents, probably would not want their Coronation Street or Emmerdale viewing disturbed!

As I said previously, a real pity that Rockingham probably cannot get involved.

Chris N

R3ROK
11th May 2007, 15:42
Someone should have planted conifers after the T1 grandstand round to T4 grandstand when the circuit was constructed, that may have helped keep the sound in a bit :)

Jordygirl
11th May 2007, 15:56
. Increasingly the sport will have to think outside the box for new concepts like this - if there is an audience for such events then they cannot fail simply because MSA regulations will not allow it or not enough volunteer marshals can be found to get to the circuit in time to meet standard marshalling practices/requirements. Chris N

Donington Emergency Services have sent an email this week, to marshals requesting volunteers for their event. They are looking for Observers, Incident Officers, Flaggies, Incident & Course Marshals. In other words the full shooting match. The day will consist of afternoon qualifying, then racing between 6 & 9 pm. This could definitely be problem, unless you have an understanding boss or holiday owing. Just thought I'd throw my 2p-worth into the thread. ;)

Dave17
11th May 2007, 16:02
...and after last years evening Britcar/sport meeting with long boring races I can see them having a problem with both orange and spectators. (thats 4p worth.)

Al_Green
11th May 2007, 16:14
A few things 'bout this...

As Chris N says, I believe that Motion Works have something to do with these meetings, so perhaps JC can say more about them.

When they were first launched, both the promoters and the MSA said that they would use these meetings to look at new marshalling methods (such as FIVs, circuit flag lights, CCTV cover, etc), as well as multitasking people on the ground

Organising is being done by BRSCC, with non-championship races for 'recognisable' cars (caterhams, minis, saloons, etc).

I'll be there for 2 out of 3 them

Al.

Jeff Carter
11th May 2007, 16:30
Interesting thread this and yes I am involved as Motion Works are the organisers.

To clear up some of the questions here

- the races will be held under a full MSA permit
- Powernights partners include the BRSCC, Hayfisher Productions, Events Managament, ARB and Sports Management.
- Sponsorship packages for the events are nearing agreement.
- A TV package for Motors TV has just been announced.

- Marshaling methods - here is an extract from the first press release -
"Part of the 2007 trial will be to potentially assess new ideas in trackside recovery/marshalling, along with the regular methods, as the organisers recognise the current issues of volunteer marshalling within the sport, especially with this weekday schedule. All volunteer marshals will receive family tickets and evening BBQ voucher for the event. "

Full press release here - http://www.motion-works.co.uk/assets/PowernightsLaunched.pdf

- The events will contain 8x10 minute races for easily recognisable cars (ie Minis, Caterhams, FFords, Stock Hatches). Each category will race twice. The schedule will be devised to keep the action flowing.
- There will be a minumum £4000 competitors prize fund for each event.
- The races will be non championship and the invites will go to categories that aren't racing that weekend.
- The £250 competitors entry fee includes general testing until 3pm with a break for lunch! qualifying from 3 - 5 and racing gets underway from 6pm.
- Other entertainment will be laid on between the races (stunt riders etc) to keep the action flowing (Note the crossover from Thunder Sundays here)
- After race prize giving BBQ and entertainment in the paddock which is open to all attending the event (small charge for the BBQ if you wish to eat!).
- Spectator interaction with text to win prizes if you want to nominate your favourite driver in each race.

Chris N and Roger Etcell ( my MD) were both involved in the introduction of PowerTour and Chris brought many of the ideas to Rockingham for Thunder Sundays. Therefore the similarities between those two products and Powernights is clear to see.

Will Powernights work? I firmly believe it will but we'll see in August. But at least there are organisations involved in motorsport that see the potential of trying to find a new product and then backing the idea. It isn't going to appeal to everyone, but that's fine. Hope to see some of you at some of the events.

For the record we did speak to Rockingham but as we all know the restrictions on the circuit regarding evening noise is very tight. Powernights are insisting on a 98dB noise limit for these events. Hopefully we'll be able to run at Rockingham in the future once the concept has be proven.

Jeff

Jeff Carter
11th May 2007, 16:31
A few things 'bout this...

As Chris N says, I believe that Motion Works have something to do with these meetings, so perhaps JC can say more about them.

When they were first launched, both the promoters and the MSA said that they would use these meetings to look at new marshalling methods (such as FIVs, circuit flag lights, CCTV cover, etc), as well as multitasking people on the ground

Organising is being done by BRSCC, with non-championship races for 'recognisable' cars (caterhams, minis, saloons, etc).

I'll be there for 2 out of 3 them

Al.

Thanks Al

Was busy typing when you posted this. :)

Jeff

chrisn
13th May 2007, 11:43
Good luck Jeff!

I think we will eventually end up doing something like this here - perhaps you want a winter series with the monrings on the beach!

The issue we have here is that in the winter it is dark by 5.30 pmbut even in the summer it is dark at 7.30. We have therefore now lit our short club circuit (2.46 km) with high quality streetlamps to allow us to run. We may well look in the future to expand it to the longer circuit options.

We always said we should light Rockingham - now that would be special!

Chris N

Gasman
17th May 2007, 17:20
We always said we should light Rockingham - now that would be special!Chris N

Nice idea that, but...

England's northern geography would make that problematic, i.e. in the summer it dosn't get properly dark until very late in the evening (nearly 10 pm on a fine night in the middle of the summer) and night races only really work when its completely dark, not just twilight.

However, if you run the night races earlier or later in the year it can be very cold in the evenings. It was only just above freezing (it certainly felt like that anyway) at Daytona this year for the truck race and that was Florida in February. Personally, an evening in the Rockingham buiding in May or September would hold few attractions if its likely to be that cold and then you have to take into account how far your crowd are travelling to RMS. Not everyone lives locally. I travel 170 miles each way and that's OK if its a day event but I may not be so enthused if I don't get home until 5 o'clock in the morning. Plus evening events will also put off a "family" crowd concerned about bedtimes and cranky young ones...

I agree that night races under the lights are fantastic events but given the harsh facts of our northern latitude and the HUGE cost of lighting a 1.5 mile speedway rather than a 0.25 mile stadium together with the current crowd sizes, this has to remain "pie in the sky" for the foreseeable future.

But...

160,000+ at Bristol, under the lights, on a hot night in Tennessee in August, now that's got to be the "Real Deal"... Anyone else going?

racing59
17th May 2007, 22:51
Did you order your tickets for Bristol two years ago then??

Rob

Gasman
18th May 2007, 11:11
Did you order your tickets for Bristol two years ago then??

Rob

I tried entering the Speedway draw for the few tickets that go on sale each year but wasn't lucky, so I got them from an internet ticket agency, aka "tout/scalper".

It cost me about 3 times the ticket price, so its now sitting in a fireproof box in the loft! But since the opportunity to go wasn't likely to come up again in the near future, I was willing to shell out to feed my addiction and make sure that I got a seat where I wanted it.

An American I chatted to in the parking lot at Daytona this year told me that its always possible to buy tickets from touts outside at Bristol and that he had spoken to some Canadians who went each year without tickets and always relied on doing this to get in and had done so for years without a problem. I thought about it, but wasn't too keen on this idea so I ended up paying out for my peace of mind.

Can't wait to get there!

F150pickup
18th May 2007, 12:12
Hi All
Our company as mention will be putting money and services into this (ARB) I was also involved in Powertour I rember the first Breakfast meeting at Silverstone. My Partner Tania was the pit lane commentator for Powertour she is working on Thunder Sunday at the moment.

Jeff Carter
1st August 2007, 09:20
Sorry about this but I just wanted everyone here to be aware that POWERnights kicks off at Silverstone this Thursday (2nd August). Two further events are at Donington (9th August) and then back to Silverstone (30th August).

Thursday will see 8 races Classic Saloons, Invitation Saloons, FFord 1600 (with 3 cars from West Tec) and MR2's (2 races for each). Gates open at 5pm.

Rockingham have gone on record as saying they would want to host a POWERnights event in 2008. If these trial events are successful you could see this at Rockingham next season.

Check out http://www.powernights.com for more info.

Jeff

Sticker Rub
2nd August 2007, 07:20
Rockingham have gone on record as saying they would want to host a POWERnights event in 2008. If these trial events are successful you could see this at Rockingham next season.

It's good to see something new being tried in the world of motorsport & I hope it's a great success. I'd love to see this at Rockingham next year but not sure the NIMBYs will share my enthusiasm though... :(

Dave17
3rd August 2007, 10:56
Sorry about this but I just wanted everyone here to be aware that POWERnights kicks off at Silverstone this Thursday (2nd August).

Jeff

SPAM !!!!! Get him off!!! Ban Him!!! :p ;)

Only kidding Jeff. Hope it goes well. I remember going to Donington in the 80's to a night meeting ( when the saloons were Group 1 1/2 or something) and had a great evening.