PDA

View Full Version : Rockingham main entrance adverts

turn 4 mad
10th May 2007, 20:43
can someone from the brscc please tell me why you dont see adverts up about scsa racing, you use to see signs in the fields in any direction 10 miles outside corby, but most of all why cant they put a large sign outside rockinghams main gate with pics of the v8's and pickups, do they really think the out of town general public driving past to meetings etc on local industrial estates really know what the "brscc meeting" is? why cant they go back to the posters on the trailer that rockingham use to put here, if it cost money surely thats a small price to get another couple of hundred paying customers in the gates.

JDPower
10th May 2007, 21:38
but most of all why cant they put a large sign outside rockinghams main gate with pics of the v8's and pickups, do they really think the out of town general public driving past to meetings etc on local industrial estates really know what the "brscc meeting" is?
Agreed, the advertising locally has been atrocious/non-existent :\

racing59
10th May 2007, 21:41
Nail, head, bang.

Through conversations with the BRSCC, they are in the deep end here, and they've never had to promote meetings like this before.

I agree, they need to get the "Thunder Sunday" ethic back.

I sell my involvement as part of "Thunder Sunday" events.

The adverts have to make it look exciting, it's all about razzamataz!

Rob.

JDPower
10th May 2007, 21:44
The adverts have to make it look exciting, it's all about razzamataz!
Speaking as someone who lives 5 mins away I can say at present its all about... nothing. I haven't seen a single advert ANYWHERE. No-one knows its happening and no-one has the foggiest idea what "BRSCC@Rockingham" is!!!

turn 4 mad
10th May 2007, 21:53
idea!!!! why dont we ge a car on the back of a trailer with all the race dates and take it around the local carnivals and hand out flyers, that way everyone gets to see it, the kids love it, and mum and dad then have to take them to the race days! sorted..
oh yes also the local press could do more, since MR LYNCH (who?) left he local rag havent mentioned it, not even after the race weekend, whereas they use too.

racing59
10th May 2007, 22:13
If you tell them. They will come!

You have to keep telling the press, or they won't print anything. Emphasise the charity side of things, and they may print a bit.

The BRSCC need to advertise in the mass media. There's no point what so ever putting ads in Motorsport News or Autosport. It's preaching to the converted.

Ideally, we need a national paper behind it. Even if it's The Sport!

Rob.

JDPower
10th May 2007, 22:25
The possibilities are already there. Corby Council have twice (possibly more) agreed to let the cars into the town centre on saturdays, even letting them do parade laps round the town. It just needs some action on the part of those with the power.

And how much does it cost to put up some posters in the area and a billboard at the entrance - you can still drive past Rockingham and not even realise theres a circuit there, let alone any racing.

corbygal
10th May 2007, 23:13
I read the topic and thought 'how hard is it to put up a few posters... so I've started designing some posters! Not sure how good they'll look printed out though. And I only done it in about 30 minutes, but what you think of the first one?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v167/buffygem/promoposter070724n01.jpg

The logos are a bit pixelated cause I cant find big logos anywhere!

racing59
11th May 2007, 00:07
I much prefer "Book Now 0870 735 5000 reference Air Ambulance"

But then again, I wouldn't - wouldn't I!

Rob.

Speedworx
11th May 2007, 00:10
There used to be an advert along the A6116. Thats no longer there :(

Tiesse
11th May 2007, 06:25
The local freebie newspaper in Wellingborough had coverage of the BTCC races with Nick Leeson doing a regular column in the sports section, however at no point was there (or since) any mention of the new BRSCC series starting the week later. Wellingborough should be a good catchment area for Rockingham as it is around a 30 min car ride away. A missed opportunity IMHO.

The local radio station (Connect FM) was promoting the Truckfest event at Peterborough the other week, running competitions to win tickets etc. That event wasn't even in Northamptonshire! Another missed opportunity!

I have every intention this week to email them both asking why the BRSCC events get no coverage whatsoever. If everybody does the same, maybe someone shall start to take notice (it's all very well us all moaning about it on here, but as fans we need to do our bit as well & be a little pro-active).

BTW Speedworx, well done for posting your pics on the Canon Photography on the Net Motorsport Forum. As I said before, the more images posted on that site following each meeting, the better (free publicity to petrol heads that are also keen photographers who may on the off chance be encouraged to come along).

chrisn
11th May 2007, 09:15
Things are no longer the same as they were a few years ago but you are now comparing apples and oranges - both are fruit but they are very different.
Before Rockingham were acting as the promoter and they spent a lot of money promoting the series - pop music, newspaper ads, ads in fields, a marketing team and a Jeff Carter all cost money. The aim is to recover that money spent through gate returns. That proved difficult.
Now I guess that Rockingham are not spending this money. BRSCC are primarily a race organizer who will fund their operation through entry fees. They may have done a deal on gate receipts and be acting as a promoter - I don't know. However their main income source, like club level racing, will be from entry fees and they will probably not have anywhere close to the sort of income to match the sort of money spent on promotion previously.
There are some things that can be done locally quite cheaply as has been highlighted. However you still need a locally based team to physically do it and that costs money - will the retun on extra gate receipts cover the cost?

I face the same concern here from local national racers - why do we not spend more money promoting them. Truth is the returns on that money spent will be limited and the money would be better spent promoting other events which will give a greater return on the money being spent.

Sorry, but it is a sad face of economic reality I am afraid.

Chris N

kate16draft
11th May 2007, 15:51
Finally...a post i can stick my teeth into!!

I agree with lots of your comments, not enough is being done.
So why rant and rave about it when you could put the time to doing something about it!
Thats what i have done and have now been named on the Pickup Truck website as Draft Racings Promotions Director see link http://www.pickuptruckracing.com/index.php?id=32,553,0,0,1,0

I decided to do something about the measly crowds, its a big task but i am finally getting answers after 8 months of trying!!

I contacted all Pickup Truck drivers at the end of last season wanting their Newspaper and Radio details thereafter i contacted the ones who replied and now have 6 papers and 2 radio stations on board. This may not be alot but its a good start.

I asked about having the Trucks on display in 5 Town Centres including Northampton, guess what...they all wanted £1000's of pounds for one day. With no funding this was an out right noway!! But i kept on asking and i finally found a Shopping Centre close to me in Baskingstoke who are having a Fathers Day weekend with a Formula 1 car on display. I e-mailled them about our 2 Draft Racing Trucks being on display too and they agreed and it is FREE! This was part of their promotional weekend. The event is going to be fantastic with Newspaper AND radio coverage, competitions, huge plasma screen showing the racing, candyfloss and hotdog stalls, it is going to be set out like a race day would be, flags, tyres, all the Pit Crew, the list goes on.

The car on a trailer is a great FREE way to advertise. Draft Racing will be doing this during the Summer months around the tracks in which the Pickups are racing to drum up some followers.

Speak to YOUR local Paper/Radio and tell them about your interests. If you dont ask you dont get! Most of them cry out for local talent but they dont look around so it up to you to do the chasing!

You will not get any money out of anyone. The best thing to do is the good old saying 'DIY'... leaflets drops, organising coach trips to the Thunder Sundays, putting posters up and talking to people about the events are all FREE ways of drumming up extra bums on seats!

I have thousands of Pickup Truck posters and leaflets. Admitidely they may not be what you want BUT they do advertise all Rockingham events and they are FREE to use. Do the SCSA have any? If yes i would love some to use in my promotion work, use each others material and work together, both series want the same thing - followers!

Lastly, you will hit brick walls with any type of promotion work, HARD! But my advice is keep on keeping on at them! They will get sick and tired of you asking and by then they will more than likely give you a shot just to shut you up!

If we all do our bit (because, lets face it, if we dont there will be no series and we will all be very bored on Sundays) and work together i am sure we will get those stands heaving again!

MrkyMrk
11th May 2007, 15:53
Ideally, we need a national paper behind it. Even if it's The Sport!
Maybe would have worked a couple of years back with the lapdance clubs sponsoring cars, eh!

Dave17
11th May 2007, 15:56
A perfect reply Chris and I would think accurate. I seem to recall that the BRSCC made a loss last year and so do not have a budget for promotion of Rockingham.
It is usually the circuits that do all the promotion and actually charge the clubs for use of their circuits which they recoup from race entries, not from gate money.

racing59
11th May 2007, 23:32
In this instance, the BRSCC IS the promotor. and they DO get the gate. It's a whole new world for them. Something they have never had to do before, and sadly, they lost their best marketing person (Vicky Squirrell) some time back.

It's chicken and egg situation. They need the gate money to fund the promotion. They need to promote the meetings to get the people through the gate.

It's therefore in our interests (as the teams), to help the BRSCC promote the meeting. A bit like "Care in the community"!!!!!

The BRSCC made a paper loss last year, though much of that was due to restructuring, and creative accountancy to get rid of millstones that have hung around their neck for many years.

This time last year, I would have been standing at BRSCC towers selling rocks for a stoning! Then they had a big change at the top, Iain Brown has come in and is moving and shaking things. The club is coming back from the brink of what can only be described as oblivion!

Today, I'm happy to say that the BRSCC is on the way back to being a club well worth being involved with.

The regular situation where the circuits charge the clubs ten(s) of thousands of pounds for the pleasure of using their tarmac, then the circuit takes all of the gate money, in my opinion stinks.

The situation where the circuits like Castle Combe, and Motorsport Vision, run their own meetings is where they can run fully promoted meetings and be in control of what is racing. They put on races that are what people want to see, and then the place fills up, and they win.

Some clubs are offering reduced entry fees if the grids are filled via a rebate system. I guess it's a start.

That's all by the by.

I'm getting some banner made up to hang on the trailer, and going to have a ride around the towns.

After all, in my area I have two new campaigns for new Air Ambulance's - Bedfordshire and Hertfordshire. Lots of funds to raise!

Rob.

Tiesse
12th May 2007, 10:48
As I know from a post I made here last year, there are a few ice hockey fans who are also into the racing at Rockingham. There is a similar thread going on at the moment on Milton Keynes Lightning's forum allong the same lines as this thread.

http://mkihforums.com/showthread.php?p=103781&posted=1#post103781

I have just posted the following on the thread as it would likely to be free promotion on both sides.

"I go to the oval racing at Rockingham Motor Speedway in Corby & there is a similar discussion going on their forum at the moment of how to increase the numbers of spectators at each event. Maybe an idea for some cross promotion? Could have an area set up with a goal & have a shooting competition for kids etc. at a race meeting (doesn't necessarily have to be on ice!).

In return have a couple of the cars on display on the way into the rink with maybe a combined ticket promotion (I am now off the their forum to post the same!)"

http://dot.motorsportforum.com/forum...d.php?t=117506

Speedworx
12th May 2007, 14:47
BTW Speedworx, well done for posting your pics on the Canon Photography on the Net Motorsport Forum. As I said before, the more images posted on that site following each meeting, the better (free publicity to petrol heads that are also keen photographers who may on the off chance be encouraged to come along).

No worries. More will be added as the season goes on.

racing59
13th May 2007, 08:44
I've been trying to talk a former British GT driver into doing the rookie training on Pistonheads..... I think I might have done enough.....

Rob.

chrisn
13th May 2007, 11:36
Couple of observations on your response Rob;
1. I hope that BRSCC have the commitment. I know Ian Brown has a marketing background but a lot of work will have to be done to get the gate receipts to snowball the promotion.
2. The previous managements at Rockingham have tried throwing a lot of money at it. They even had the opportunity to run their own Club operation but were too short sighted to see the value of that in the medium to long term.
3. Clubs having to hire the venue to put races on it is I am afraid a cold economic reality. The clever thing is to get the level right. I have been on the Club and Circuit side of this equation and while Circuits cost many tens of millions of pounds to build/buy, millions of pounds to operate and maintain a year then organisations bringing races that attract few at the gate will have to pay tens of thousands of pounds to run races at them. I spent many years doing this at UK circuits for high profile Championships. The aim is to get to the position of those like BTCC who can bring the crowd and then demand fees to run. But first you have to show that people will come to your event and pay to watch.

Not pleasant I know, but that is the way the world works I am afraid.

Chris N

tdb
13th May 2007, 11:56
idea!!!! why dont we ge a car on the back of a trailer with all the race dates and take it around the local carnivals and hand out flyers, that way everyone gets to see it, the kids love it, and mum and dad then have to take them to the race days! sorted..
oh yes also the local press could do more, since MR LYNCH (who?) left he local rag havent mentioned it, not even after the race weekend, whereas they use too.

Asking the question about promotion directly to the brscc instead of here would be a start.

Also, speaking direct to your Team principle about you above post would probably be better than suggesting it here.

It has always been the case on this forum. everybody has a million ideas about what should and shouldn't be done, but only a small few ever get out there and do it!

Stuart26
13th May 2007, 12:09
Who owns the two old SCSA cars i saw on the infield?.I guess the teams unless they done something would be reluctant to let Joe Blow have there cars to take to fetes ans carnivals etc, so couldnt these be redressed and updated put on a trailer and used for demos.That said if someone had it for a day-weekend would anyone from the teams be available for the technical questions that i am sure would be asked.

Stuart

racing59
13th May 2007, 15:53
The two "old" cars in the infield would have been the 77 car, and the ex-Torquespeed car. Both were due to have raced on the day. The ex-Torquespeed car was to be driven by Miguel Gomes, Phil's car was going to be driven by Adriano Mandeiros. Neither were allowed to race on the day due to "technical" reasons (technically, Miguel had the wrong grade of Portuguese licence - but has it sorted out now, and I understand that Adriano didn't have a HANS or helmet that worked with a HANS).

Both should be on-track for the next meeting.

I'm in the process of getting some banners made for Team Air Ambulance, and will be trolling around town centres in the near future!!!

I may even park up for a "rest" in some shopping centre car parks (until security turn up and shooo me away!)

As for dressing up "old cars" - as and when (if) I get time, I have chassis 59 here, and that's going to be put together initially as a "show car" (yes T4mad - more runny bright yellow paint!). Whether it'll be ready before the end of the season, I don't know.

The ministry of silly ideas even thought of building it up "road legal", getting it through SVA and running it on the road!!! (not with SCSA running gear, probably something as simple as a Rover V8 under the skin) Then again, if I could do that, why not build it up to be complete, and put another driver in it!!! Oh what the heck.....

Rob

Stuart26
13th May 2007, 19:01
Sorry Rob but i meant the ones by the skid pan or whatever it is they are parked up by the single seaters.

Stuart

gavinseager154
13th May 2007, 19:18
thanks for all your hard work kate its appreciated by everyone

Reynard
13th May 2007, 19:18
I think those might be the 2-seaters then Stuart.

Stuart26
13th May 2007, 20:54
Thats what i was thinking but never mind can they be adapted for other things

turn 4 mad
13th May 2007, 22:54
Also, speaking direct to your Team principle about you above post would probably be better than suggesting it here.

?

turn 4 mad
13th May 2007, 22:57
It has always been the case on this forum. everybody has a million ideas about what should and shouldn't be done, but only a small few ever get out there and do it![/QUOTE]

we have been talking about doing something, the idea of having the 9 car at the local fire station open day was one suggestion except they have it on the same day as race day.

Abo
14th May 2007, 08:23
The ministry of silly ideas even thought of building it up "road legal", getting it through SVA and running it on the road!!! (not with SCSA running gear, probably something as simple as a Rover V8 under the skin)

You'd probably get an LS1 cheaper than a Rover 3.5 there days ;)

racing59
14th May 2007, 11:16
Hang on, let me look under this bench....

I could always transplant the little demon out of "Harry" into it.... Now that would be scary!

As for doing shows that clash - there are quite a few I'd like to do, that clash with Rockingham (like the Goodwood Festival of Speed!) meetings.

And I don't think the Racing School would be too pleased if you took their 2-seaters away - they get used for passenger rides - Skippy is the main pilot there....

Rob.

SteveA
14th May 2007, 11:29
You'd probably get an LS1 cheaper than a Rover 3.5 there days ;)

Just stick a regular GM small block in it. They go for peanuts but make the right noise ;)

http://tinyurl.com/24hj5d

LessThanSte
14th May 2007, 12:09
What, btw, would be required to make one of these cars road legal?

Im thinking adding wipers, treaded tires, lights. Anything else?

I would so like to do that one day :)

SteveA
14th May 2007, 12:33
Emmisions could be a problem. I'm not sure if modern "kit cars" are subjected to the latest emmsions regs, but if so, a big V8 with carbs would never get through the tests.

SteveA
14th May 2007, 13:07
Further to my emmisions comment, this is my understanding after some Googling - as long as the date of manufacture of the block is pre-1993, regardless of any new parts / rebuilds / re-bores etc, it will only be subjected to a visual smoke test.

If its 1993 or later (read LS1!), you'll have to comply with the latest regs - which means catalysts, oxygen sensors... all that rubbish. You probably don't wanna go there!

Abo
14th May 2007, 17:32
What, btw, would be required to make one of these cars road legal?

Im thinking adding wipers, treaded tires, lights. Anything else?

I would so like to do that one day :)

A heater for the windscreen, and maybe the rear screen?
Windscreen washers
Seatbelts
Rear view mirrors (you need two IIRC)
Extra silencing?
Glass windscreen??? Not sure if e.g. Lexan would be allowed
Fit a speedo!
Sort out the fuel tank breather as it sticks out from the body
Sort out the exhaust exits; if they protrude they might not be allowed?
Wonder if the rear spoiler would be allowed? I guess you could always put it through without and then refit it ;)

There could be issues with some of the interior fittings...

I wonder what category you'd put the car though on? You couldn't go 'amateur built' due to the frame being constructed by someone normally involved in the construction or assembly of motor vehicles, I suppose, so maybe the 'Very Low Volume' category?

Reynard
14th May 2007, 17:39
I remember seeing a feature some years ago on I think it was Top Gear about a bloke who converted an F3000 car for road use. I guess if that can be done, then this project, while requiring some careful thought, is more than feasible.

kate16draft
14th May 2007, 18:12
This has gone off topic! ! !

pickup
14th May 2007, 18:28
I remember seeing a feature some years ago on I think it was Top Gear about a bloke who converted an F3000 car for road use. I guess if that can be done, then this project, while requiring some careful thought, is more than feasible.

Anything is feasible given time and money but dont underestimate the task the SVA test for amature built vehicles is a bit more complicated than a lot of people realise and certainly more detailed than people have so far explained.
The SVA manual while not solely dedicated to kit cars covers some 178 pages! most kit car manufacturers supply kits that are "SVA friendly" but it still takes a lot of attention to detail to pass the test some parts of which seem really petty.
As iv'e said it's certainly possible but it's not just a case of putting on
lights,wipers,mirrors,etc it will take a lot of work.(and before somebody asks yes i've done it)

Tiesse
14th May 2007, 19:33
Sorry, but I thought that this thread was called "Rockingham main entrance adverts"!

Abo
14th May 2007, 19:35

Was that the one with the Judd engine originally? IIRC he swapped the Judd for an engine from a Ferrari 355! But (again, IIRC) this all happened in Japan where things are different; the guy had to crash-test a rolling version of the chassis!

Although I may have dreamed all this lol, my memory of the thing is hazy. I do remember it being yellow and had Locost-style front fenders

Abo
14th May 2007, 19:36
Sorry, but I thought that this thread was called "Rockingham main entrance adverts"!

Like some projects have scope-creep, this thread has developed a bit of 'subject-creep'! ;)

SteveA
14th May 2007, 19:46
Who are you calling a subject creep?

turn 4 mad
14th May 2007, 20:19
Like some projects have scope-creep, this thread has developed a bit of 'subject-creep'! ;)

I agree Abo, may be there not bothered about advertising.

LessThanSte
14th May 2007, 20:49
Not at all, this just flowed form the way the conversation is going.

This whole anal-ness when it comes to topics and stuff really gets on my nerves. Its the only forum of the many that i frequent that is so, um, anal, and i and i believe many others wish it wasnt so!

racing59
14th May 2007, 21:03
Back to thread.

The banners are on their way.

I should have them middle of next week, so will be riding around the countryside burning diesel. Just need a "Blues Brothers" style PA speaker for the roof of the van, and we're off.

PitMarshal
14th May 2007, 21:30
Ironically, as I'm reading this thread Motors TV are showing an advert for the bank holiday meeting at Santa Pod. Rockingham advertising has been (IMO) pretty sub standard for as long as I can remember. In fact I'm fairly certain that if it wasn't for the touring cars and the superbikes a lot of people probably wouldn't know that the circuit existed. It's a chicken and egg problem really; you have to advertise to get bums on seats, but you need the bums on seats to be able to pay for the advertising. And it has been well publicised that the BRSCC aren't exactly flush with cash at the moment.
On the subject of posters, I'm sure a lot of us drive. How difficult / expensive would it be to make an A4 or A5 poster that could be stuck in a car window? The amount of traffic I sit in on the way to work I'm sure I could generate some awareness.

timtime
15th May 2007, 11:08
Santa Pod have it sussed when it comes to promotion. Lots of road signs up to 20 miles away. Flat bed van with an A frame and big posters left close to Junction 15 on the M1. TV and press adverts. Ex race vehicles at various shows both car and general to promote the venue.

The difference is Santa Pod are both the venue and the promoter but unlike Rockingham in the past, appear to have the balance right. The promotion is comparatively low cost, there is something for all the family but without the expense of pop groups etc that from the outside appeared to cause Rockingham to implode. The main razzamatazz is on the strip and the classes are burgeoning.

BTCC showed what can be done and the praise for Rockingham was almost universal. SCSA can get back to those dizzy heights but there needs to be a spark, the interest at the moment is mostly from established fans and my fear is that alone will not be enough to sustain it.

I know this probably reads negatively but it is not meant to. I would love to see packed grandstands cheering on a thirty car grid with hundreds of thousands more watching at home. The potential is there but the culture at the moment isn't.

Tim

car20
15th May 2007, 12:33
another problem is lack of information which has been disussed before?

does scsa have a scructure of who does what or do they just flip a coin to decide ??(joke ok)(Or NOt??)

Reynard
15th May 2007, 12:36
Rob, just a thought...

At the 2CV 24 hours at Snet weekend after next, there's a Pistonfest (http://www.pistonfest.com) event in the infield with lots of fast car type folks attending. What would you reckon to take the Yellow Peril along to drum up some interest?

turn 4 mad
15th May 2007, 16:59
This has gone off topic! ! !

i know and rather boring as well. thats why theres no adverts outside rockingham-there all to busy spending the money on cars with bigger engines.

kate16draft
15th May 2007, 18:48
Please, please, please come and see me at the next meeting for posters etc to get the ball rolling, less talk, more action!!

PapaJuliet
15th May 2007, 19:43
At the 2CV 24 hours at Snet weekend after next, there's a Pistonfest (http://www.pistonfest.com) event in the infield with lots of fast car type folks attending. What would you reckon to take the Yellow Peril along to drum up some interest?

On a similar note, I was speaking to somebody who works at the Heritage Motor Centre at Gaydon. If somebody wanted to take along a car / pick-up and a stand to one of their eventsthey might be interested and there wouldn't be any charge.

However, I thought that the best event would be "SuperCar Sunday" on 17 June 2007 which , apart from being quite short notice (sorry, I thought it was July), was also (I think) a date that something else had been organised.

If anybody (I think kate16draft was looking at this earlier) wants contact details, PM me and I will provide them.

PJ

Abo
15th May 2007, 21:40
Back to thread.

The banners are on their way.

I should have them middle of next week, so will be riding around the countryside burning diesel. Just need a "Blues Brothers" style PA speaker for the roof of the van, and we're off.

'You! On the motorcycle!'

JDPower
15th May 2007, 23:12
The difference is Santa Pod are both the venue and the promoter
The other difference is that it costs (IMO an extortionate) £29 to get into Santa Pod for the main meetings, £37 if you want a seat.

Abo
16th May 2007, 08:01
Well, if they feel they can get away with it (and it seems they can)...

SteveA
16th May 2007, 09:28
I've always felt like I've received value for money though. Bear in mind that it costs over £3000 per run for the Nitro cars (if nothing breaks!). The pro classes get appearance money, which doesn't nearly cover their costs, but without it some wouldn't be able to race.

timtime
16th May 2007, 09:47
JD

I agree some events are more expensive but comparing a clubmans meeting to the European Championships is not really like for like. If you look at the Summer Nats for a comparison then its the same price from memory.

Top class events are always going to be more expensive. This weekend I am torn between BSB at Snetterton but dont fancy the traffic jams and GPLive at Donington. BSB is top class racing again this season although the lure of the exotic F1 cars at Donington is also very enticing only being tempered by the £50 entrance fee.

Reynard/Anyone

What is Snetterton like for photography from the public side of the fence?

Regards

Tim

MrkyMrk
16th May 2007, 11:40
'You! On the motorcycle!'

"You two girls!"

madphotog
16th May 2007, 14:10
Just thought I would throw my two penneth in... I have got the local evening paper to publish a preview in the week leading up to each meeting. Unfortunately they edited about 70% of what I gave them but at least they printed something together with one of my photos of Kelly-Jayne Wells.

I also have to get a race report and photographs to them by 8.00 on the Sunday evening following each race, last season they printed them in the Monday edition but as there was too much football going on at the end of April, this formed part of the Motorsport feature that is printed currently every Thursday. The only thing they changed was the headline but they only printed one of my photos out of the 5 or so that I sent them.

I know its not much when it comes to advertising but at least it is something. We even got some coverage in the Herald & Post newspaper in Bedforshire.

I will continue to supply the Evening Telegraph in Kettering with previews and reports which I do without payment and they are supposed to give me some credit but they conveniently forget that bit. ;)

Tiesse
16th May 2007, 18:04
Just thought I would throw my two penneth in... I have got the local evening paper to publish a preview in the week leading up to each meeting. Unfortunately they edited about 70% of what I gave them but at least they printed something together with one of my photos of Kelly-Jayne Wells.

I also have to get a race report and photographs to them by 8.00 on the Sunday evening following each race, last season they printed them in the Monday edition but as there was too much football going on at the end of April, this formed part of the Motorsport feature that is printed currently every Thursday. The only thing they changed was the headline but they only printed one of my photos out of the 5 or so that I sent them.

I know its not much when it comes to advertising but at least it is something. We even got some coverage in the Herald & Post newspaper in Bedforshire.

I will continue to supply the Evening Telegraph in Kettering with previews and reports which I do without payment and they are supposed to give me some credit but they conveniently forget that bit. ;)

Do they mention if they have any intention of any of your material going into their freebie each week?

Also, slightly off thread, well done to you for encouraging your girls to pose for those of us that are at Rockingham with our cameras, rather than exclusively for you.

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m206/Tiesse68/BRSCC%20April/_MG_1115BW.jpg

EarWig
16th May 2007, 19:44
I approached the sports editor at Beds News just before the first meeting of the season to enquire if they were interested in featuring a locally owned and sponsored race car.

I sent them a race report and information together with a couple of pictures from our fabulous MAD Photography sponsor.

Here is the result from the back page of their sports section (half the back page)
http://www.teamnetworking.co.uk/press/bedsnews1.gif
(400 kb)

Make the effort and you just never know who may pick up on the story.

Regards

LessThanSte
16th May 2007, 21:03
She looks nicer on the photo than she did at rockingham. Though perhaps the lack of sleep from the night before didnt help me see properly!

JDPower
16th May 2007, 21:06
Back on the subject of main entrance/local area advertising, any of those in control of these things should take a drive past Rockingham at present. I didn't realise the SED show was happening next week but you'd have to be blind not to know after driving past the area. Signs along the roads leading to Rockingham, the entire Rockingham entrance sign covered with an SED banner etc. I dare say after the SED show it'll be back to Rockingham (and SCSA) being non-existent to anyone who drives past :\
Hopefully I'll be proved wrong though by the time the next meeting comes round.

Tiesse
16th May 2007, 22:13
I have just emailed the Herald & Post (Wellingborough's freebie newspaper) asking if they have any plans to cover the SCSA series at Rockingham at all this year. I also highlighted some of the teams charity involvments as well.

The guy's email address I found on the internet is

[email:3nubdi1v]richard_howarth@mrn.co.uk[/email:3nubdi1v]

Maybe the more emails the merrier!

As has already been said in this thread, we all need to do our bit.

Tiesse
16th May 2007, 22:24
OK, people are going to think that I am being a pest now, but I have also just emailed the manager from Connect FM (a local radio station)

His email address is

[email:3osek8l6]martyn@connectfm.com[/email:3osek8l6]

Again, the more emails the better!

Nick Brad
17th May 2007, 11:41
Rob, just a thought...

At the 2CV 24 hours at Snet weekend after next, there's a Pistonfest (www.pistonfest.com (http://www.pistonfest.com)) event in the infield with lots of fast car type folks attending. What would you reckon to take the Yellow Peril along to drum up some interest?

It can't be there unfortunately as it will be at the Spirit of Adventure show due to the charity/Air ambulance link. If one of the non-charity teams, either trucks or cars could have a static display it would be good.

madphotog
17th May 2007, 17:25
Thanks for the comments on "my girls" posing for cameras.... they are always happy to be photographed and please do not be shy in attracting their attention.... that is what they are there for after all.

Indeed as part of our agreement with the #31 Car of Duncan Gray, we positively encourage people to come along and take photos, so come on all you shy people with cameras, even on a mobile phone, comae and take photos... you can even pose with the girls if you want! More photos can be found within the gallery section of www.teamnetworking.co.uk (http://www.teamnetworking.co.uk)
:)

Tiesse
17th May 2007, 18:46
I've had a reply from Connect FM & it is as follows.

"Hi Tony, and thanks for your email. The situation with Rockingham is rather complicated, and has been from the outset. Over the years we have tried and tried to get a good relationship going with the owners/management/marketing people at Rockingham – to little avail. They have always held the opinion that they don’t need local media as everyone living within the local areas knows all about them and what they do. For that reason, we have found it difficult. In a nutshell, if they were/re agreeable to doing the same sort of marketing deal that we did with Truckfest I would be more than happy.

Once again, thanks for your comments, and we keep our fingers crossed!

Regards,

Martyn Parr - Sales Director

Forward Media Limited

Connect FM/Lite FM"

Not very ebcouraging if it is true!

JDPower
17th May 2007, 21:20

"Hi Tony, and thanks for your email. The situation with Rockingham is rather complicated, and has been from the outset. Over the years we have tried and tried to get a good relationship going with the owners/management/marketing people at Rockingham – to little avail. They have always held the opinion that they don’t need local media as everyone living within the local areas knows all about them and what they do. For that reason, we have found it difficult. In a nutshell, if they were/re agreeable to doing the same sort of marketing deal that we did with Truckfest I would be more than happy.

Regards,

Forward Media Limited

Connect FM/Lite FM"

Yes but as Rockingham have nothing to do with the promotion of SCSA/PuT now its not the Rockingham management they need to be in contact with.

Tiesse
18th May 2007, 06:02
Yes but as Rockingham have nothing to do with the promotion of SCSA/PuT now its not the Rockingham management they need to be in contact with.

I did think of that after I osted the reply & I shall return his email pointing this out & give him contact details for the BRSCC

racing59
18th May 2007, 06:19
And copy it to [email:1nrqt9gr]dominic@brscc.co.uk[/email:1nrqt9gr] while you're at it. He be the PR man.

Tiesse
18th May 2007, 18:56
I have just emailed him back & copied Dominic on it.

You don't get what you don't ask for!

racing59
18th May 2007, 20:44
It's not what you know, it's who you know.

And that's proving to be one of the problem's I've been suffering...

Rob.

SteveA
18th May 2007, 20:48
It's not what you know, it's who you know.

Ain't that the truth in all walks of life!

Jeff Carter
19th May 2007, 09:43

Regards,

Forward Media Limited

Connect FM/Lite FM"

I need to clarify the situation here. Connect FM were very supportive editorially of everything we did at Rockingham and I cannot remember the number of interviews I did into various shows and news items on the events at Rockingham while I was there.

However Connect FM are a COMMERCIAL radio station and Martyn is their Sales Director. Rockingham had a commercial deal with Northants 96 / Hereward FM / Leicester Sound in 2003 / 2004 and any advertising spend went there. So this explains Martyn's explanation regarding Rockingham Management / Marketing people - He is wrong, Rockingham wanted local coverage, but the money wasn't spent with Connect.

Martyn is a good contact but I would ring their news desk with any stories.

HOWEVER if you want radio coverage without the link to advertising spend, talk to the local BBC Radio Stations. Laura Cook is the news editor at Northampton and they are always looking for good news / sports stories and the link to the charities is a good one. BBC Leicester and BBC Cambridgeshire are also worth a punt!

Signing off from the press office in Romania ;)

Jeff

JovialJooles
19th May 2007, 12:20
Thanks for the info Jeff, I'm sure people will find it very useful.

Hope Romania is treating you well. Nice to see you're still checking the forum whilst in the Press Office!

racing59
19th May 2007, 19:35
That reminds me, I have to contact BBC Three Counties again...

Jeff Carter
22nd May 2007, 12:45
Hope Romania is treating you well. Nice to see you're still checking the forum whilst in the Press Office!

Thanks Julian, Romania was great. Bucharest isn't somewhere where I'd want to go for a holiday but the people were friendly, drinks and food were reasonably cheap and the racing was fantastic.

Here is a link to a picture of the Media Centre which was located in the parliament building - http://www.britishf3international.com/gallery.php?action=showImage&params%5Bid%5D=817

The Snetterton press office at the next F3/GT event is going to provide a bit of culture shock after that. Wonder if Jonathan Palmer will hang a few chandeliers for us?

I always keep an eye on the forum and chip in when I feel I can add something useful to the conversation. I know many other ex Rockingham employees do the same basically because we are interested in seeing the series do well again.

Jeff

Dave17
22nd May 2007, 16:18
The Snetterton press office at the next F3/GT event is going to provide a bit of culture shock after that. Wonder if Jonathan Palmer will hang a few chandeliers for us?

Jeff

I doubt it, but I bet his grass is better than Bucharest's!

Jeff Carter
22nd May 2007, 21:18
I doubt it, but I bet his grass is better than Bucharest's!

Very true.

Talking of grass, here is another useless fact for you. You aren't allowed to picnic in the parks in Bucharest, in fact it is an arrestable offence to eat a sandwich while sitting on the grass. With the Romanian police being armed it brings a whole new meaning to the phrase 'keep off the grass'.

I'm sure JP would like to bring in something similar for any driver who cuts a corner at one of his circuits!

Jeff

chrisn
23rd May 2007, 07:46
Had the same sort of problem here with those pesky people picniccing on the grass so we ripped it all out and replaced it with green painted tarmac! Now I just have to stop the drivers driving on it - just like the grass at Rockingham! Funny old game this - I go halfway around the world, move into a different climate and culture and face the same old problems.

Jeff, I love the press office. We can only out bling this by setting ours up in the Burj Al Arab for when SRO come out here in November. You must have been sorely tempted to sit there and say "I want to dictate ...!Oops sorry don't misunderstand me I only meant dictate my latest press release!"

Chris N

F150pickup
23rd May 2007, 11:51
Hi Jeff

I can put a couple Chandeliers up at Silverstone for you, and thinking about it Rockingham as well but ceiling a bit low.

SteveA
23rd May 2007, 12:16
Hi Jeff

I can put a couple Chandeliers up at Silverstone for you, and thinking about it Rockingham as well but ceiling a bit low.

Get a small one from Argos...

http://chavscum.co.uk/4images/data/media/16/Gregs_Party.jpg

turn 4 mad
23rd May 2007, 22:04
Asking the question about promotion directly to the brscc instead of here would be a start.

It has always been the case on this forum. everybody has a million ideas about what should and shouldn't be done, but only a small few ever get out there and do it!

we have a couple of cars going to abingdon this weekend for the air show and i have just finished fitting 2 signs to the back of the flatbeds for the journey so motorists will see the cars going down the a43 and read see when the next race date is.

Tony Hurdle
23rd May 2007, 22:35
we have a couple of cars going to abingdon this weekend for the air show and i have just finished fitting 2 signs to the back of the flatbeds for the journey so motorists will see the cars going down the a43 and read see when the next race date is.

turn 4 mad
23rd May 2007, 23:46
at the moment tony i think sat is ok but sun may be rain.
ive put a sign on the back of your car.

Filray
24th May 2007, 15:03
at the moment tony i think sat is ok but sun may be rain.
ive put a sign on the back of your car.

What does the sign say?
"turn 4 mad says it might rain on Sunday" ?
hehehe
Sorry - couldn't resist it

Filray
24th May 2007, 15:04
3 cars now going from Revolution
31, 98 and 99

Regards

Tony Hurdle
24th May 2007, 15:27
but sun may be rain

Boo hiss!!!!!!!

racing59
24th May 2007, 20:23
The 59 car will be there.

I've only just picked up the banners, so they won't be attached to the car/trailer - unless I can get something done in the morning before I leave.

I put a poster up in the Oxford City Council vehicle workshop/fleet managers office yesterday. That might stir a little interest there.

As for the rain - I'll get a wet bum in the seat!! Darnit!

Rob.

Tiesse
27th May 2007, 01:23
Got a reply from the Herald & Post today, iot is as follows.

"Hi Tony,

My editor Richard passed over the email you sent him about the lack of coverage of the BRSCC series in our paper.
I'm the motorsport reporter for the paper so I thought I'd get in touch.
It's a fair comment you have made - I haven't covered the series but am going to put that right. I've been in touch with the circuit and am going to do a preview piece for the next meeting in June, hopefully accompanied by a ticket giveaway competition if I can ok that with the right people.
I used to watch this series in its previous incarnation as Eurocar at Mallory Park when I was still at school and it is definitely worth covering.
My day-to-day job is a news reporter for Kettering so I don't have that much time to dedicate to motorsport writing - hence the current bias towards F1 and BTCC as the biggest championships with a presence on the patch.
But I'm trying to get more coverage of other series on our website (http://www.icnorthants.co.uk - click on local sport, then motorsport) and in the paper where possible including Formula Ford, Renault Clio Cup etc.
I shall be adding the BRSCC series to the list of things to cover - If you as a reader feel it should be there I will do my best for you.

All the best
Ian"

A step in the right direction at least.

JDPower
27th May 2007, 02:46
I used to watch this series in its previous incarnation as Eurocar at Mallory Park
:?:

Tiesse
27th May 2007, 07:37
:?:

I know, I thought the same, but with the prospect of him writing an article & looking to do a ticket promotion, I chose to let it go.

I have emailed him back this morning, giving him Dominic's email details (from BRSCC).

Even if it's only in the local press & brings in a few extra people, those few extra people could go on to bring friends along to other meetings for what is a good value, family day out (with the prospect of making a charity donation in the purchasing of tickets).

acorn
27th May 2007, 13:28
can't see what the problem is with "previous incarnation". those who know scsa/ascar history know that mike schmidt (founder of ascar) was an ex eurocar racer which had the mallory park oval as it's spiritual home. ok it was a split from eurocar but that's where it's british roots are.

Nick Brad
28th May 2007, 10:02
With knowledge I've gained over time I'm going to hold my tongue on thoughts about Eurocar and ASCAR being linked in any way.
The important thing to remember though is that this is all stemming from one person's misguided thoughts that the two series are one and the same. He has not printed this incorrect info in the media, (yet,) and so it wouldn't be hard to just correct him before he actually reports in the media.

107miler
30th May 2007, 20:19
Managed to get a short article put into todays Wokingham and Bracknell Times. Although it was heavily edited from my original at least it was something. The article read as follows and because Tony Hurdle is from Bracknell I based it round Tony's performances.

"Hurdle start

Bracknell-based driver Tony Hurdle is again competing in Britain's own equivalent of NASCAR racing after taking the rookie of the year title last year.

Hurdle achieved two fourth-placed finishes in his V8 stock car in the first two rounds last month at the 170mph oval track at Rockingham in Northamptonshire.

The next two rounds of the championship are being held on Sunday, June 24."

I got a thank you for the article so now I know they will print I will try a bigger more comprehensive piece after the June meeting.

Tiesse
30th May 2007, 22:36
Managed to get a short article put into todays Wokingham and Bracknell Times. Although it was heavily edited from my original at least it was something. The article read as follows and because Tony Hurdle is from Bracknell I based it round Tony's performances.

"Hurdle start

Bracknell-based driver Tony Hurdle is again competing in Britain's own equivalent of NASCAR racing after taking the rookie of the year title last year.

Hurdle achieved two fourth-placed finishes in his V8 stock car in the first two rounds last month at the 170mph oval track at Rockingham in Northamptonshire.

I got a thank you for the article so now I know they will print I will try a bigger more comprehensive piece after the June meeting.

Well done. A I said before, any publicity is good publicity & we can all do our bit.

Tony Hurdle
30th May 2007, 22:49

"Hurdle start

Hi Paul,

Thanks for doing this. I had no idea. I'll have to go and buy the paper. Are you aware of the tie-up I have with the BEN charity who are based in Ascot? We are hoping to put out a big press release to get as much publicity from the BEN links as possible. This also means local papers etc. Do you have a contact at the paper? Perhaps we can combine efforts if that's OK with all concerned. Four weeks and counting to the next round and now is the time to strike.

Thanks again for your efforts. Look forward to reading the article.

Tony

107miler
31st May 2007, 09:22
Thanks for the comments Tiesse and Tony.

Tony, in my original article I sent I made mention of BEN and also that other charities were involved but this, unfortunately, was some of the bits they edited out. I submitted the article simply to the E-Mail address given in the paper which sent it direct to the sports desk. As I said they sent me an E-Mail yesterday to say it was in the paper so obviously they seem receptive to ideas.

I am more than happy to help out in any way and look forward to seeing the further press releases.

Paul

kate16draft
31st May 2007, 18:18
Hello - Steve Dance #16 Truck are based in Reading and we use the Evening Post - i have a good contact if you would like me to pass the details on ? ?

racing59
3rd June 2007, 22:16
With reference to the banners on my trailer, since I took the car on holiday with me last week, I took a steady run (ahem!) along the M4/M25/A1(M) back to sunny Bedfordshire (with a slight diversion for a tyre blowout on the trailer between Hungerford and Newbury - note: it says "Works Unit", but it most certainly is not!!)

Quite a few people slowed down to have a look at the car, and I spotted at least three overtakers taking a note of the phone number for tickets....

Just a shame that the M25 wasn't it's usual self (snarled up) or I could have run more advertising time!!

Lots and lots of plans in the pipeline for more PR. Short of applying to go in the big brother house - even I won't stoop that low!

Chigley
3rd June 2007, 22:30
Hello - Steve Dance #16 Truck are based in Reading and we use the Evening Post - i have a good contact if you would like me to pass the details on ? ?

Kate, have you got any promotional stuff for the Festival Place display?

Nick Brad
4th June 2007, 08:37
Lots and lots of plans in the pipeline for more PR. Short of applying to go in the big brother house......

I'm hoping to have some news on coverage for SCSA in the States by the end of the day, I'm currently in talks with a magazine editor, (who I am getting to know through email contact,) who is interested in covering the series which if it happens, I shall be asking for assistance from some of you guys.

Filray
11th June 2007, 22:24
Flyers completed by Neil Hurle for each charity car
Available from this page:
http://www.v8trophy.com/2007teams.shtml

Regards

Chigley
11th June 2007, 23:54
Wow, these are briilliant, thanks guys. I'm doing the rounds of Newbury, Basingstoke, Odiham and Thatcham police, fire, and ambulance stations as well as the libraries, garages and supermarkets. :)