PDA

View Full Version : Lorenzo Bandini

jens
10th May 2007, 19:52
As there have been topics about other drivers, who have tragically lost their lives, then what about that Italian, who was Italy's most distinguished F1 driver in the 60s and died exactly 40 years ago - three days after having burned at Monaco in a Ferrari after hitting haystack with just less then 1/5 race distance left.

How would you summarize his career and his driving? For several years he had been in the shadow of team-mate Surtees and became Ferrari's leading driver just a year before his fatal accident. Could he have become World Champion or at least had the ability to challenge for the crown?

futuretiger9
12th May 2007, 00:14
It is difficult to assess what Bandini could have achieved. Ferrari was on the up in early 1967, but his death and the accident to Mike Parkes had a major effect on the team. Chris Amon found himself as de facto team leader. If the more experienced Bandini had lived, they may have sustained the momentum for the rest of the season.

Bandini certainly had a few more GP victories left in him.

AAReagles
19th May 2007, 22:56
As mentioned earlier, I believe it's hard to say how he would have faired in later years. I can't imagine that much success would have been found had he remained with Ferrari, particularly when reflecting on the dismal seasons that immediately followed 1967.

It's sadly noted that his accident at Monaco was one that finally got the safety issues (particulary fire-related) brought to the forefront. Though when you consider what happened at Jarama in 1970, Zandvoort in 70' & 73, and as of late as the 'Ring in 76, one wonders just how much effort/funding was applied to prevent such drastic measures from ever occuring again in the event of a motor sport accident.

As far as Bandini's abilities go, from what I read about him, it appeared that he was good enough to be a Ferrari product. That in itself says a bit. Though his sole GP victory was won at a rather unattractive airfield for the inaugural Austrian GP event, he did maintain a steady hand at being Ferrari's "2nd" driver (behind Surtees for the most part). He placed himself in the points often, and ironically enough, he had shown well at Monaco where he finished 2nd on a couple of occasions and 3rd once.

I remember reading how he won Le Mans w/Ludovico Scarfiotti, which is no doubt no easy feat in itself when you consider the dangers involved with racing at night. And from I can recollect from past articles in mags I had, he performed well in other FIA sports car events, winning on occasion.

If Surtees had not been there, who knows how well he might have faired. However after Surtees did leave in mid-66', opportunity might have been there for him to pounce on. But it's hard say really. If someone of Surtees' calibre got tired of Ferrari-antics (politics), and left, then perhaps it was obvious at the time that there might have been nothing better for him to do than wait... and hope... that improvements would have been made soon enough in his time at the Maranello plant, to gain some spoils. Unfortunately, it was not to be.

futuretiger9
19th May 2007, 23:57
If he had lived, Bandini might have been able to reap the benefits of the 1970-1972 period, when Ferrari were very competitive. I sense that he may have become more and more pre-eminent in sportscar racing, to which his driving style seemed ideally suited.

V12
15th June 2007, 04:48
From what I have heard and read about him - and do not take this with any sort of first hand authority, I was born in 1983 - Bandini was a good driver with plenty of raw talent, but perhaps lacking the mental strength to lead a front line Grand Prix team to a world championship, perhaps in a similar vain to his compatriot Fisichella today.

His best performances of any year tended to come at Monaco, which tells it's own story. This includes the race where he had his accident, that overweight Ferrari 312 in reality had no business being within any sort of range of Denny Hulme's nimble Brabham around the Monaco streets - indeed when he crashed Bandini was around a lap ahead of teammate Chris Amon (no slouch).

I have heard stories that Bandini was a bit un-nerved when Surtees left the team halfway through 1966, leaving him as number one, which suggests to me he was more comfortable driving in Surtees' shadow and just getting on with the job - which as an Italian driving for Ferrari was never going to be possible for very long.

I think ultimately I'd class Bandini in the "very, very good, but not great" category, modern examples including Berger, Patrese, Coulthard, Barrichello, Fisi and so on. He would have undoubtedly won more Grands Prix had he not had his accident, in 1968 and 1970 Ferrari had a very competitive car. There was a great article in F1 Racing magazine about 8 or 9 years ago, which gave more insight into Bandini the man, a working class lad from Italian Libya who had worked his way up from a mechanic to become a member of the Ferrari works team, a great read for anyone who can get their hands on it.

futuretiger9
16th June 2007, 20:26
The comparison with DC, Patrese, Rubens and Fisichella is very valid, in that Bandini perhaps lacked the ruthlessness required to reach the next level.

One thing is certain, though - he had one of the coolest names in motorsports history!

Mintexmemory
13th July 2007, 17:36
I think that how Bandini's career might have panned out depended on whether Scarfiotti had lived. Scarfiotti got Ferrari rides ahead of Bandini because of his family Fiat connections. Ferrari were quick in 68 but not truly competitive as their reliability was awful, only 1 GP win all year. Ickx returned in 70 when the car was much better, If Brabham had deprived Rindt of Monaco and British GP wins then Ickx might have been WC. Ifs, buts and maybes. I think that Chris Amon had the career that Bandini would have had, nearly, but not quite, good enough