PDA

View Full Version : South African S2000's

Grant_RSA
10th May 2007, 10:10
Here are some pics of the South African S2000's on the Sasol Rally that was recently held.

This is current SA Champion Enzo Kuun and Guy Hodgson.

Grant_RSA
10th May 2007, 10:11
some more

This is the same car Alister Mcrae drove in Rally GB last year.

Driven by Ettiene Lourens and Andre Vermeulen

Grant_RSA
10th May 2007, 10:14
New to S2000 Jon and Doug Williams in a Polo

Grant_RSA
10th May 2007, 10:15
Multiple South African Champion Serge Damseaux and Robert Paisley in a Toyota

LeonBrooke
11th May 2007, 00:16
Nice-looking cars :up:

Sulland
27th September 2007, 18:23
Are anyone building an Auris S2000 in SA ?

LeonBrooke
28th September 2007, 13:23
They have in Australia, but I assume you knew that...

Grant_RSA
1st October 2007, 12:35
SA's first Auris is virtually complete apparently!

As far as i know they have nothing to do with the Aus version.

Sulland
1st October 2007, 22:30
Is there a plan to get this version FIA homologated for IRC/PWRC ?

Grant_RSA
2nd October 2007, 10:06
yes, it is just a progression on the Corolla! i see it as a natural progression as they homologated the first version.

Dont really understand why Aus had to do their own thing? and its only regionally homologated?

TheDogBox
3rd October 2007, 23:54
yes, it is just a progression on the Corolla! i see it as a natural progression as they homologated the first version.

Dont really understand why Aus had to do their own thing? and its only regionally homologated?

I asked the same question of Neal Bates (who runs Toyotas rally team here in Aus), and apparently the underpinnings of the old and new Corollas (or Auris, depending on where you are in the world), are different enough that the SA-build S2000s couldn't be used.

Also, the Aus S2000 Corollas (which are the latest model) have been competing all year, so the time-frame is all wrong.

I understand they were locally homologated because they were so new to the local market, but are susposed to fall under 'FIA Regional Homologation' rules during the year.

Grant_RSA
4th October 2007, 08:41
its all rather strange to me, as i know the first S2000 built there was the same "corolla" as in SA and then moved on to the Auris!

Has Neal said anything about getting full FIA Homologation? as far as i know that is what the South African one will be.

I Just see it as being a bit silly for 2 different concerns trying to achieve the same goal, surely its a huge waste of $$$?

raybak
4th October 2007, 10:26
Neal isn't going for full homologation as he has to build too many cars to be able to do it. He just doesn't have the infrastructure to do it.

Ray

TheDogBox
4th October 2007, 11:40
I Just see it as being a bit silly for 2 different concerns trying to achieve the same goal, surely its a huge waste of $$$?

It does seem a bit crazy; I guess Toyota SA and Toyota Aus operate completely independantly, releasing cars into their markets at different times, and that plays a major factor.

The S2000 Bates ran for the first two rounds of the ARC was a 'mule'; the latest model Corolla wasn't released until mid-year.

Grant_RSA
4th October 2007, 17:54
Raybak, thanks for clearing that up!

Wouldnt it have been cheaper for Aus to import already built cars from RSA that develop it themselves? Even if it meant running the older version till the end of the season!

raybak
4th October 2007, 23:22
I think the reason that Neal built his own was that the newer version of the Corolla wasn't available from SA when the Australian marketing people wanted the new model to be competing here.

Ray

Tazz
23rd October 2007, 09:24
The SA built Auris S2000 is going to be run as course opening car at this weekends Toyota Rally, if everything goes according to plan. FIA homologation is planned for Dec

milly
27th October 2007, 12:37
Toyota Japan apparently isn't allowing a full international homologation - just national ones for SA and Australia - because they have seen the problems caused in Europe this year.

RED, the agent for SA-built Run-X models, has struggled with homologation requirements and parts supply. Some countries wanted to run cars in Europe but could not be guaranteed proper technical support and back-up.

Grant_RSA
28th October 2007, 13:42
Toyota Japan apparently isn't allowing a full international homologation - just national ones for SA and Australia - because they have seen the problems caused in Europe this year.

RED, the agent for SA-built Run-X models, has struggled with homologation requirements and parts supply. Some countries wanted to run cars in Europe but could not be guaranteed proper technical support and back-up.

Milly where did you get this info?

I dont really believe that at this time, as the Auris made its debut in as the pre zero car for the final round of our national champs.

The reason i say i dont believe it is because the car was a left hand drive version which i was told is already been sold to someone in Europe or Britain. There is no reason for them to build a left hand drive if it will only be used in South Africa. We drive right hand drive cars here.

The car was quite impressive, the driver, a local production car track driver pushed quite hard but not competition pace. It had issues after the 3rd stage of day 1 and only continued on day 2. for the extreme conditions, ie mud and constant rain, i think it did brilliantly

The car is really good looking, and build quality is excellent.i didnt get to take any pics but will post as soon as possible.

bf1_IRL
28th October 2007, 14:57
Maybe RED took on too much, if I remember correctly, there were supposed to supply a Corolla to a team in Portugal but that didn't happen and the BRC programme stopped abruptly after the Ulster..

Maybe Toyota should appoint a bigger operation with more capital and infrastruture to iron out the problems and to look after the cars on events..
(I have nothing against RED)

Grant_RSA
29th October 2007, 05:50
pity about the mud, but this gives an idea!

http://www.rallyworld.net/Gallery/RallyEvents/2007ToyotaDealerRally-Gauteng/00-aurisS2000-1.JPG

http://www.rallyworld.net/Gallery/RallyEvents/2007ToyotaDealerRally-Gauteng/00-aurisS20002.JPG

http://www.rallyworld.net/Gallery/RallyEvents/2007ToyotaDealerRally-Gauteng/00-aurisS20003.jpg

Tazz
29th October 2007, 07:43
The issues with the supply of RunX models had to do with the homologation of the left hand drive versions. By first homologating the Auris as a left hand drive, there should be less of a problem. Rumour is that RED is no longer going to be the european supplier.

m.lowe
1st November 2007, 12:02
Its a shame they possibly wont be seen here in the UK as they are quite a decent looking car the Corolla and Auris

I wish Toyota would get their Auris into gear and bring out an official car for the WRC again

Grant_RSA
24th November 2007, 22:34
I have heard that the toyota works team has been testing the Auris in the last few weeks!

looks like we should have around 10 or 11 S2000's running here next year! hoping for more, but wont know until earliest Jan, everyone stays hush until the last minute!

Sounds like quite a few new N4 Subarus and a evo 9 on the way as well.

Mirek
20th January 2008, 16:59
I need photos of old Polo 4 S2000 (4 front lights), especialy interior and details. Thank You for any help.

Grant_RSA
21st January 2008, 08:06
strangely enough i can only find 1 pic of the 4 lighted polo's

May i ask why your looking?

Grant_RSA
22nd January 2008, 10:32
apologies, that is not an S2000, its an A7, dont seem to be able to find any.

Mirek
22nd January 2008, 19:00
It is because of 3D model for Richard Burns Rally - to see what to change on S1600 model...

Sulland
18th April 2008, 17:23
A follow up from the Australian thread; Any plans from the SA Toyota team to get the new Auris S2000 FIA homologated ?

Is the Grifone team still in the picture as having a european role for the Auris, or are other teams more interesting ?

Sulland
9th May 2008, 09:08
No one that can help on the RSA status of the Auris ?

Grant_RSA
15th May 2008, 18:08
from what i understand there are issues getting permission from Japan to Homologate, otherwise the cars are there,

this is rumour, cant confirm anything.

Sulland
19th May 2008, 22:50
Do they need permission ?

Does the factory have a role to play towards FIA, or can Toyota SA do this, or Grifone or another team if they want to do it ?

How did that happen on the Corolla or the Polo, where the factory had little or nothing to do with it ?

NRC
20th May 2008, 08:21
The parent manufacturing company, i.e. VW Germany / Toyota Japan, need to sign the homologation papers to authorise the homologation.

And in the case of the S2000 Polo and Run X / Corolla this is how it was done.

Only an manufacturer are allowed to homologate.

Sulland
20th May 2008, 22:04
And what could the reason be for that Toyota says NO to FIA Homologation of the Auris ?

NRC
21st May 2008, 07:34
Not 100% sure why.

I heard a rumour that the SA built and developed Auris have already been stripped down and rebuilt into a Run X/Corolla that is used in this years South African championship.

Maybe we will get a FIA Auris developed and build somewhere in Europe.....

Grant_RSA
29th July 2008, 20:43
havnt been on here in a while,

Rumour has it the Auris will make its debut in RSA very soon.

Grant_RSA
7th August 2008, 13:19
Auris to debut next weekend.

http://www.rallyworld.net/news.asp?id=1813

m.lowe
18th August 2008, 10:59
Would be good to see Opel SA take one or two of these into Rallying in SA
OPEL CORSA S2000 NEWS (http://opel-s2000news.website.orange.co.uk/)

Tazz
18th August 2008, 15:53
The Auris S2000 made its first competitive outing this weekend in SA.

The car crashed out while leading on the second last stage.

Homologation is not final yet, but the agreement in SA is that once the paperwork goes to the FIA a car can compete