PDA

View Full Version : It's Official Dale Jr. Leaving DEI....

R. Mears
10th May 2007, 02:12
Dale Earnhardt Jr. officially will say goodbye to Dale Earnhardt Inc. on Thursday morning, Yahoo! Sports has learned.
A highly placed source within DEI as well as additional sources familiar with the situation told Yahoo! Sports on Wednesday afternoon that both Junior and teammate will announce Thursday morning that they are leaving the DEI camp at the end of this season and will drive for Earnhardt's heretofore Busch Series operation, JR Motorsports.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nascar/news?slug=jb-juniorleaves050907&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

harvick#1
10th May 2007, 02:34
its not official whether or not Hendrick will supply the team

http://www.thatsracin.com/247/story/4129.html

tstran17_88
10th May 2007, 03:02
I'm going to wait until it's officially official. It seems to me that somebody said something to someone else and because it's about Joonyer...the story gets its own legs.

MD24
10th May 2007, 03:20
Speed channel will interrupt regularly scheduled programming to go LIVE from the JR Motorsports race shop at 11 a.m. ET for the news conference

Sparky1329
10th May 2007, 04:23
:eek:

R. Mears
10th May 2007, 04:48
dei confirmed that it was talking with robert yates racing about a possible merger and also a switch from chevrolet power plants and chassis to ford engines and chassis.

No say it's not so!! Dale Sr. will cause an earthquake when turning in his grave.

Erki
10th May 2007, 08:55
I don't understand. Does it mean that Jr goes back to Busch Series and leaves Cup? :\

Lee Roy
10th May 2007, 11:04
Whoops . . . . there goes DEI. It will soon just be a museum to the memory of Dale, Sr. unless Mrs. Earnhardt sells it.

RaceFanStan
10th May 2007, 12:37
I don't understand. Does it mean that Jr goes back to Busch Series and leaves Cup? :\
No, it means that Dale Jr is going to be a moron & try to upgrade his Busch team/company to Cup ... http://www.motorsportforum.com/forums/images/icons/s.gif

Even with connections to Hendrick for engines & chassis, he will see how hard it is for an owner/driver in CUP. http://www.motorsportforum.com/forums/images/icons/eek.gif

I think it may not actually happen ...
it could just be a bargaining stragedy in his attempt to wrestle DEI away from Teresa ... http://www.motorsportforum.com/forums/images/icons/rolleyes.gif

If it happens people say it will be the demise of DEI ... I disagree ...
I think DEI will survive & it will suceed but Dale Jr will learn how to really struggle ... http://www.motorsportforum.com/forums/images/icons/tongue-anim.gif

harvick#1
10th May 2007, 12:51
its funny cause in some articles, Hendrick has said no deal has been made, but we all know how much of a liar Hendrick is

dont_be_jack
10th May 2007, 13:50
DEI won't suffer with two new drivers until they end up outside of the top 35 in points. Jr. will suffer because he will have to drive his way in. Both will need to find their feet if this happens. I think that the Yates-DEI deal is farther ahead than was reported and they told Jr. that they'll be driving Fords next year, which he already said he wouldn't be doing.

Haulin'AssAndTurnin Left
10th May 2007, 14:31
Is Eury jr gonna go with him?

Sparky1329
10th May 2007, 15:43
Is Eury jr gonna go with him?

Seems so if that's what's going on.

Cindy_AL
10th May 2007, 16:08
I felt all along that Jr & Budweiser would leave DEI. Just wasnt sure where he would go. He has said before that he didnt want to be owner & driver of his ride but looks like the stress at DEI has convinced him that it may not be all that bad afterall. I strongly believe that Jr will be ok. It may take him a couple of yrs to be at the top but I think he has the backing he needs to get there. Dale Jr has a very good rapport within the nascar family.

Im not surprised that Truex is going with him. I think DEI is a sinking ship without Jr & Truex and I predict a majority of crewmembers and people from the engine shop, etc will jump ship and follow Jr. (Im sure the Eury's will go as well.) Truex will probably bring Bass Proshops with him too. I am surprised that Menard is not going with Jr. But that could also change once the "official word is out". Well, its time for the press conference so lets see. :p :

BenRoethig
10th May 2007, 16:18
The JR motorsports rumor was false. All the press conference announced is that Dale Jr. is not returning to DEI and is a free agent for 2008 and beyond. JR motorsports was used as the venue because he owns it.

It also looks like DEI will probably merge with Yates and switch to Ford. I wouldn't be surprised if there was some Robby Gordon involvement there was well, but that is another stoy.

Haulin'AssAndTurnin Left
10th May 2007, 16:40
So when does Hendrick tell Casey hes out of the No.25 ;)

blakebeatty
10th May 2007, 16:41
Not only was the Jr. motorsports rumor false, Kelley said it was their last option. He said that he would entertain offers from the top CHEVROLET teams.

I would "trade" Casey to one of the support Chevrolet teams, like Ginn Racing.

trumperZ06
10th May 2007, 16:47
;) Hhmmm... Jow Gibb's racing team has a spot open for another car. Jr. and Tony Stewart get along well and Jr. helped Hamlin when he first entered cup racing.

:D : One thing's for sure... Jr. will be driving a red Chevy with Bud sponorship. Also, GM will be pushing help his way... behind the scenes. Whichever team signs Jr. stands to get a lot of additional support... both financially... and with technical help.

Haulin'AssAndTurnin Left
10th May 2007, 16:50
According to Jayski, Mears and Busch are signed through 2009 however, so a release from a contract (buyout) would be necessary.

A buyout of Mears would be worth it to get Jr. Busch is a twat but he does win.

Cindy_AL
10th May 2007, 17:36
I still see Jr going to Childress.

BenRoethig
10th May 2007, 17:38
;) Hhmmm... Jow Gibb's racing team has a spot open for another car. Jr. and Tony Stewart get along well and Jr. helped Hamlin when he first entered cup racing.

:D : One thing's for sure... Jr. will be driving a red Chevy with Bud sponorship. Also, GM will be pushing help his way... behind the scenes. Whichever team signs Jr. stands to get a lot of additional support... both financially... and with technical help.

RCR has room for another team as well. I don't think Jr. would do very well at Hendrick. Gordon and Johnson are used to being the center of attention. I think they need second tier guys like Busch and Mears who won't take the spotlight. RCR already has Harvick, but they also have Burton who is pretty low key and a very good teammate. RCR also has his father's number and I could see GM Goodwrench becoming a major associate sponsor to him as well as Harvick. Mark my words, there will be a black #3 Goodwrench car on the track in 2008 at some point.

blakebeatty
10th May 2007, 17:39
I think that it will be Hendrick...

Busch is neither low key, nor second rate. much as he is an asshole, he is extremely talented

The #3 thing came up, and Dale said 'not yet'

Rick will get him at all costs, as the money that comes with him is likely insane. Imagine having DuPont, Lowe's and Budwesier sponsor money.

pentti
10th May 2007, 18:15
This is very exciting. If Junior teams up with these top drivers and does not perform. Then it is dangerous move. Or is this move just to get better deal with DEI? If he really leaves DEI then DEI is doomed. Where they can get top drivers? They are already running in better teams.

tstran17_88
10th May 2007, 18:15
Whoops . . . . there goes DEI. It will soon just be a museum to the memory of Dale, Sr. unless Mrs. Earnhardt sells it.Yup...the Garage-Mahal will be the Museum-Mahal now, no matter how much $$$ John Menard will pony up for it.

Cindy_AL
10th May 2007, 18:24
I think Jr will eventually field Cup teams at JRM. I can see Truex & Menard there especially if DEI performs poorly in 2008.

Sparky1329
10th May 2007, 18:24
I still see Jr going to Childress.

I think RC would make a spot for him even if it meant adding a fourth car.

Jr has six months to talk to as many owners who want to talk. From where I sit he's in the catbird seat. I'm still getting over the shock that Teresa is really this stupid.

Cindy_AL
10th May 2007, 19:02
Reading the transcripts of the press conference as well as Teresa's comments, some of the words were obviously very carefully chosen.

Teresa: "While we are very disappointed that Dale Jr has chosen to leave the family business, we remain excited about our company's future,"

Teresa: "This company has a great legacy and a bright future, built on loyalty, integrity, and commitment."

Jr: "As for the fans, please know this is a career decision. I want to thank my family members who are here to support me."

"Budweiser, Dale Earnhardt, Jr. and Dale Earnhardt, Inc. have enjoyed a great relationship since 1999. Dale Jr., and his father before him, have been excellent and loyal ambassadors for our company and the sport of NASCAR. Budweiser and JR Motorsports have an agreement in place to ensure Dale Jr. will continue to personally represent Budweiser through 2008, and we look forward to discussing our future with Dale Jr. and DEI in the weeks ahead."
--Tony Ponturo, vice president, global media and sports marketing, Anheuser-Busch, Inc.

Jr: "We have a great relationship with Budweiser and those things will be discussed. I enjoy driving Chevrolets and our relationship is very strong and I think I will be best suited driving a Chevrolet." Yes, Bud will go with Jr and Yes he will end up in a Chevy.

Jr: "I'll be happy with whatever decision we make. It would be awesome to continue driving the No. 8 but those numbers are owned by the car owners and I'm sure Teresa [Earnhardt] would love to keep that number at DEI." Sounds like taking the #8 with him has been discussed and Teresa probably said no. By saying this, alot of the Jr fans will probably resent Teresa for all of the #8 memorabilia they have purchased and will now have to change. (remember the commercial when Jr said he was changing his number?... deja vu) :p : I suppose the ultimate payback to her would be for Childress to let Jr have the #3. :eek:

Jr: "Obviously I feel like his (Dale Sr's) vision -- and he said it himself -- was for me to have a huge role in the company itself. Through the negotiations, Kelley [Earnhardt Elledge] and I felt like that was not in the cards. It may be in the cards 20 years down the road, it may be something that happens."(when Teresa is no longer over the company)

Jr: "My father's vision ... if he was still here I think we would be in a different place right now." Meaning Teresa has not handled the company as Sr would have wanted. ?

Jr: "I think there's not one team that's going to lay a dollar figure out there that's going to be different than anyone else. Money is not the issue. It's not about the biggest paycheck. The person that allows me to accomplish what I want to accomplish on the race track and in this race shop is what I'm looking at." To me, this has Childress written all over it.

Jr:I have a great relationship with Richard [Childress] and I feel like on his behalf he's stepped his programs up." :D

Jr: "I've drove for DEI my entire career, there is something to be said for that. There's a great bond there not only with the employees but with my father's vision. I really wanted to have a larger, more personal interest driving at DEI. Through the contract negotiations we were unable to come to terms that would give me that. We danced around that bush for quite a long time."

Jr: "I don't think that would be wise to put any other individuals in this. Tony [Eury] Jr. will make his decisions and I will support whatever decision he makes. I expect him to do the same. As far as Martin [Truex Jr.], it's the same thing. I will support Martin in whatever he wants to do. It's really up to him and his father. If he wants to stay at DEI and thinks that's best for him then I will support him in that." Jr is showing his loyalty to Eury & Truex. He will support them even if they are stupid enough to stay. ;)

Jr: "I'm going to look at everybody from a competition standpoint but I want to be comfortable with the teammates I have. I want to feel welcome by the employees at that place wherever that my be. And I need to find a way for it to compliment this building here and the employees. Its got to give me the opportunity to take care of my family. I won't allow myself to try and narrow it down because I feel I wouldn't be giving myself the whole opportunity." Still sounds like Childress to me. :p :

BrentJackson
10th May 2007, 19:10
A Black and Red #3 for Richard Childress is coming folks......just wait for it......

DEI merging with Yates? Wow, Teresa......Dale is rolling in his grave screaming his head off right about now...... :s hock:

dwboogityfan
10th May 2007, 19:28
I think Jr will be in a car powered by Hendrick engines next season but not directly owned by Hendrick. Could be a Jr motorsports team - in which case I'm sure NASCAR will quickly change the top 35 rule - or perhaps more likely Ginn motorsports. Jr could then use Sterling Marlin's owner points if he retires. As much as I'd love to see the RCR #3 back on track I just don't think it would be a good move for Jr.

Alexamateo
10th May 2007, 19:53
Overall, this is good. I think everyone who grows up in a family business should at some point leave, if only for a little while, and work for someone non-family. It is important to gain a little perspective and see a different way of doing things. I have friends who work in their family's business that were encouraged to go out and do something else for a while, and then came back for the betterment of all. Then there are others (like me) who realize you just shouldn't work for family :D , because they never really realize you're not a 10 year old brat anymore. Even if he comes back in a few years to take over again, I think we will find that Junior is going to blossom with this move.

It's all for the best! Goooo Jooooonyeeeer!!! :p : :) :D

Dick Blom
10th May 2007, 20:35
I think the best spot for Jr. is Gibbs with Tony and Hamlin. That way Jr. can take the 18 car (J.J. just isn’t proving to be the driver everyone thought he would be [sorry Cindy]). This leaves a slot(if they go to 4 teams) for Truex if he wants to stay with Jr. and also, it makes for plenty of open slots for any of the 8 and 1 teams that want to change over with the drivers. Considering the COT, especially if that will be the only car run in 2008, it looks like the Gibbs cars are the only ones that can run with the Hendricks cars.

Sparky1329
10th May 2007, 21:13
I think the best spot for Jr. is Gibbs with Tony and Hamlin. That way Jr. can take the 18 car (J.J. just isn’t proving to be the driver everyone thought he would be [sorry Cindy]). This leaves a slot(if they go to 4 teams) for Truex if he wants to stay with Jr. and also, it makes for plenty of open slots for any of the 8 and 1 teams that want to change over with the drivers. Considering the COT, especially if that will be the only car run in 2008, it looks like the Gibbs cars are the only ones that can run with the Hendricks cars.

I would hate to see JJ get bounced but I could see Jr at Coach Gibbs shop. Jr has always had a lot of respect for Joe.

Sparky1329
10th May 2007, 21:15
Reading the transcripts of the press conference as well as Teresa's comments, some of the words were obviously very carefully chosen.

Teresa: "While we are very disappointed that Dale Jr has chosen to leave the family business, we remain excited about our company's future,"

Teresa: "This company has a great legacy and a bright future, built on loyalty, integrity, and commitment."

Jr: "As for the fans, please know this is a career decision. I want to thank my family members who are here to support me."

"Budweiser, Dale Earnhardt, Jr. and Dale Earnhardt, Inc. have enjoyed a great relationship since 1999. Dale Jr., and his father before him, have been excellent and loyal ambassadors for our company and the sport of NASCAR. Budweiser and JR Motorsports have an agreement in place to ensure Dale Jr. will continue to personally represent Budweiser through 2008, and we look forward to discussing our future with Dale Jr. and DEI in the weeks ahead."
--Tony Ponturo, vice president, global media and sports marketing, Anheuser-Busch, Inc.

Jr: "We have a great relationship with Budweiser and those things will be discussed. I enjoy driving Chevrolets and our relationship is very strong and I think I will be best suited driving a Chevrolet." Yes, Bud will go with Jr and Yes he will end up in a Chevy.

Jr: "I'll be happy with whatever decision we make. It would be awesome to continue driving the No. 8 but those numbers are owned by the car owners and I'm sure Teresa [Earnhardt] would love to keep that number at DEI." Sounds like taking the #8 with him has been discussed and Teresa probably said no. By saying this, alot of the Jr fans will probably resent Teresa for all of the #8 memorabilia they have purchased and will now have to change. (remember the commercial when Jr said he was changing his number?... deja vu) :p : I suppose the ultimate payback to her would be for Childress to let Jr have the #3. :eek:

Jr: "Obviously I feel like his (Dale Sr's) vision -- and he said it himself -- was for me to have a huge role in the company itself. Through the negotiations, Kelley [Earnhardt Elledge] and I felt like that was not in the cards. It may be in the cards 20 years down the road, it may be something that happens."(when Teresa is no longer over the company)

Jr: "My father's vision ... if he was still here I think we would be in a different place right now." Meaning Teresa has not handled the company as Sr would have wanted. ?

Jr: "I think there's not one team that's going to lay a dollar figure out there that's going to be different than anyone else. Money is not the issue. It's not about the biggest paycheck. The person that allows me to accomplish what I want to accomplish on the race track and in this race shop is what I'm looking at." To me, this has Childress written all over it.

Jr:I have a great relationship with Richard [Childress] and I feel like on his behalf he's stepped his programs up." :D

Jr: "I've drove for DEI my entire career, there is something to be said for that. There's a great bond there not only with the employees but with my father's vision. I really wanted to have a larger, more personal interest driving at DEI. Through the contract negotiations we were unable to come to terms that would give me that. We danced around that bush for quite a long time."

Jr: "I don't think that would be wise to put any other individuals in this. Tony [Eury] Jr. will make his decisions and I will support whatever decision he makes. I expect him to do the same. As far as Martin [Truex Jr.], it's the same thing. I will support Martin in whatever he wants to do. It's really up to him and his father. If he wants to stay at DEI and thinks that's best for him then I will support him in that." Jr is showing his loyalty to Eury & Truex. He will support them even if they are stupid enough to stay. ;)

Jr: "I'm going to look at everybody from a competition standpoint but I want to be comfortable with the teammates I have. I want to feel welcome by the employees at that place wherever that my be. And I need to find a way for it to compliment this building here and the employees. Its got to give me the opportunity to take care of my family. I won't allow myself to try and narrow it down because I feel I wouldn't be giving myself the whole opportunity." Still sounds like Childress to me. :p :

I agree, Cindy. There are a lot of between-the-lines comments there. Jr took great care to say exactly what he wanted to say and Teresa got in a few smacks as well.

Cindy_AL
10th May 2007, 21:32
Dick...... I had the same bad thoughts about JJ and the 18 ride. Not that I agree that it should happen but more like I was hoping it wouldnt. I can also see Jr at Gibbs. He is a big Redskins fan. I know that Jr, Tony & Denny get along well but that doesnt necessarily mean they would get along as teammates. Could Jr possibly steal some of big Tony's limelight? ;)

Cindy_AL
10th May 2007, 21:36
This is a nice read:

http://www.nascar.com/2007/news/opinion/05/10/dearnhardtjr.future/index.html

Cindy_AL
10th May 2007, 21:40
Btw...... WTH happened to Jr's hair?? :eek:

harvick#1
10th May 2007, 21:53
so is Jooyner a free agent :confused:

jeffmr2
10th May 2007, 23:07
Ok so he says he wants to drive a chevy next year but i wonder if the toyota millions might just change his mind.Wouldnt it be cool to see him driving alongside his old teammate mikey in a toyota,now that would really upset the applecart im sure.We'd get to see then how great a driver jr really is.

Speedworx
11th May 2007, 00:11
I fully expect to see Dale Jr and Truex Jr at JR Motorsports in Nextel Cup in 2008.

Theres a reason the press conference was at JR Motorsports and not at DEI :)

dont_be_jack
11th May 2007, 00:40
The press conference was at JRM because he could dictate the situation. DEI wouldn't have let him. And by DEI I mean Teresa.

Truex is out of this deal. He's supposedly staying at DEI.

I can see Jr. driving his own cars next year but I doubt that will happen. Someone will give him enough reason to sign. It's going to be Gibbs or RCR. Hendrick doesn't have the room and he seems pretty adamant to not drive for any other manufacturer.

Cindy_AL
11th May 2007, 02:34
Im not convinced that Truex is staying at DEI. Guess we will all have to wait and see how it all pans out.

No amount of money would ever convince Jr to go with Toyota.

SOD
11th May 2007, 02:40
nothing like family feuds in public. all that's needed are paternity tests, contested wills and a murder or two.

: popcorn :

muggle not
11th May 2007, 03:18
Jr will probably become the number one driver for RCR bumping Burton to the number two spot and Harvick to number three. RCR really would like to have Jr in his organization.

harvick#1
11th May 2007, 03:32
you really hate Harvick don't you :p :

how does a driver with 5 wins last year and a Daytona 500 win this year and another possible 5 wins end up being a #2 driver, yes Burton has that consistency but Harvick is one of the best out there, no way Jr. would be a #1 when Harvick and Burton are co #1 drivers and Bowyer right behind them

MD24
11th May 2007, 03:59
Does anyone know if Kyle Busch is under contract for 08?

RaceFanStan
11th May 2007, 04:05
Kyle Busch is signed to the Hendrick #5 car through 2009. :eek:

RaceFanStan
11th May 2007, 04:10
Drivers whose contracts run out at the end of 2007 are :
Ward Burton
Scott Riggs
Joe Nemechek
Sterling Marlin
Jeff Burton
Bobby Labonte
Tony Raines

MD24
11th May 2007, 04:23
Fox 25 from Boston is reporting that Jr. has finalized a deal with Richard Childress

http://www.myfoxboston.com/myfox/pages/Sports/Detail?contentId=3171381&version=3&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=6.1.1

Haulin'AssAndTurnin Left
11th May 2007, 09:57
"The time for me to compete on a consistent basis and contend for championships is now."

that means there is no way that he will drive for JR Motorsports

dont_be_jack
11th May 2007, 11:18

how does a driver with 5 wins last year and a Daytona 500 win this year and another possible 5 wins end up being a #2 driver, yes Burton has that consistency but Harvick is one of the best out there, no way Jr. would be a #1 when Harvick and Burton are co #1 drivers and Bowyer right behind them

It's extremely hard for there to be a number 1 driver at RCR almost like how there are essentially 2 number 1 cars at Hendrick. Harvick and Burton are both at the lead of their team and I believe that's what helps them quite a bit. And having Bowyer, who is going to be a top-notch driver at one point, is just even better. By getting Jr., RCR is going to be amazing. I definitely think that the deal has been completed.

RaceFanStan
11th May 2007, 12:55
Fox 25 from Boston is reporting that Jr. has finalized a deal with Richard Childress

http://www.myfoxboston.com/myfox/pages/Sports/Detail?contentId=3171381&version=3&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=6.1.1
from the article :
"..... Dale Earnhardt Jr. will soon be racing under the same legendary #3 Chevy that his dad used to race in.
..... an official announcement will be coming soon."

Dale Jr in the RCR #3 will probably fulfil a lot of fan's dreams if that happens ...
I just hope that Dale Jr is up to the task of driving the famous #3. :s

A red Budweiser # 3 may look strange at 1st but I'm sure we can adjust.

RaceFanStan
11th May 2007, 13:28
I just found @ jayski's.com that Dale Jr was negotiating late Thursday night with Richard Childress ......
the number rumored there is the #33 & Budweiser is coming with Dale Jr ......
...... Childress has scheduled a news conference Friday at Darlington Raceway .....

dont_be_jack
11th May 2007, 14:00
I just found @ jayski's.com that Dale Jr was negotiating late Thursday night with Richard Childress ......
the number rumored there is the #33 & Budweiser is coming with Dale Jr ......
...... Childress has scheduled a news conference Friday at Darlington Raceway .....

Makes some sense. Not give him the #3 yet but let him ease into it. Shows you how fast RCR jumped on this.

muggle not
11th May 2007, 14:20

Naw, just rattling your cage. :)

muggle not
11th May 2007, 14:24
It was reported Thursday night on our local TV that Jr and RCR were close to a done deal.

I turned to the Sport pages in this morning's newspaper and there was not a thing in it about Jr. When I went to the front page of the newspaper I found it plastered all over. It is front page news here.

Cindy_AL
11th May 2007, 14:29
Childress has wanted Dale Jr for a LONG time. From what I have heard, there has been an open invite to Jr for several years now. RCR is definitely headed in the right direction and I dont see there being a so-called #1 driver, #2, etc. It appears that all of the cars there are the best that they can get. I think Richard wants them ALL to be in contention for the championship and it shows by their performance. Childress is nothing like the other owners. His personality is a perfect fit for Jr and with the Eury's as well.

BenRoethig
11th May 2007, 15:18
With the deal rumored be finalized so soon, I wouldn't be surprised if Richard gave Jr. basically a blank check for his demands. What he wants for money, whoever he wants for people, he gets it.

Erki
11th May 2007, 15:23
I hope what he wants doesn't come from the expense of other drivers. :\

dont_be_jack
11th May 2007, 15:23
Apparently Richard was supposed to address the media around now and that there was no press conference scheduled.

Cindy_AL
11th May 2007, 15:25
"However I am 32 years old, the same age as my father when he made his final and most important career decision, and the time for me to compete on a consistent basis and contend for championships is now. Since that is what I plan to do, I feel strongly that I would have my father's blessing."

At age 32... will he follow in his Father's footsteps? I think this says alot.

I read that one of the problems that could prevent him from going to Gibbs is with Joe having such strong christian beliefs, he may not approve of Budweiser as a sponsor. Jr without Bud as a sponsor is just plain wrong.

blakebeatty
11th May 2007, 16:13
I read that one of the problems that could prevent him from going to Gibbs is with Joe having such strong christian beliefs, he may not approve of Budweiser as a sponsor. Jr without Bud as a sponsor is just plain wrong.

I think that was just speculation, plus Joe's Christian beliefs haven't prevented him from employing the sadistic monster they call Stewart.

Evidently Richard denied any deals being done yet

MD24
11th May 2007, 19:01

They talk about it in this article

http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/columns/story?seriesId=2&columnist=newton_david&id=2866394

Lee Roy
11th May 2007, 19:16
Not sure of the problem??? I'm a Christian and I drink like a fish. :D

Dick Blom
14th May 2007, 19:47
On Windtunnel, Dave had a NASCAR writer on who was adamant that Jr. will go to Hendrick. I can see that happening. Where Hendrick "sells" Casey Meers and the 25 car number to Ginn and then buying the #8 from DEI for really big dollars and putting Jr. in a red Budweiser #8 for 2008. My wife thinks the number 25 car is jinked anyway, ever since Tim Richmond drove it.

Erki
14th May 2007, 19:51
Wasn't #25 supposed to become Ricky Hendrick's number? I couldn't see him selling it if it really was so...

Cindy_AL
14th May 2007, 20:02
Now Im really confused. :confused: We had the discussion last wk about who "owns" the car numbers and I thought the answer was NASCAR. How then can they be "sold"?

Lee Roy
14th May 2007, 20:04
Now Im really confused. :confused: We had the discussion last wk about who "owns" the car numbers and I thought the answer was NASCAR. How then can they be "sold"?

They can be "sold" between teams with NASCAR's approval.

Alexamateo
14th May 2007, 22:15
Wasn't #25 supposed to become Ricky Hendrick's number? I couldn't see him selling it if it really was so...

Ricky Hendrick had already "retired" as a driver after a hard crash at Kansas. He raced, had his fun, and I believe won 1 truck race, but his future was already cast to be an owner working in conjunction with his dad's organization. He discovered Brian Vickers and they won the Busch series championship together and the #25 was to be his baby when he was sadly killed in that plane crash.

I don't think the #25 holds any sentimental value for Hendrick, at least not for Ricky. Ricky ran #17 in trucks, and #'s 24 & 5 in Busch, and never ran a Cup race.

Mark in Oshawa
17th May 2007, 18:40
I started a poll thread before I realized about this one....so I will restate a few things that I said there.

RCR might be too much pressure for Dale and I think THAT is why it wont happen. Whenever asked in the past about driving the number 3, Dale always said it would be nice towards the end of his career, but he would love to make his own name in the the 8. Also, lets face it, as good a guy Richard is, his team has been down on and off over the last few years, but I must admit they are coming to the top now. Happy Harvick and Jeff Burton are two good solid drivers, and Bowyer is showing a lot of promise so it isn't a bad choice, but I think Hendrick or Gibbs would be the ideal. Casey Mears will be sweating BUCKETS because if Rick wants him gone to make room for Junior, it will happen. Trust me, that 25 has underperformed on a team that is winning races, and that makes him vulnerable, and I don't care what his contract says. JJ Yeley likewise is feeling uncomfortable, although there is room for a fourth car at Gibbs. That said, Gibb's is an old school Baptist, and that means no alcohol sponsorship, which means no Bud. So although it woudl be the best culture for Jr. and the Eury's, and the least pressure and most supportive (people will run through walls for Joe Gibbs), I don't think it happens.

I would love to see Roush stir things up there and open up the candy store for Jr. but I doubt it happens. Penske should, but wont, because he has enough headaches with Busch's silliness, and Ryan Newman is more the prototypical personality for a Penske operation.

I don't see Jr. leaving Chevy, so if any long shot with money can make this happen, it will be Ginn racing. They are tossing a lot of money around out there, and Mark Martin has proven that the team is competitive...so who knows?

Interesting times indeed. God knows the racing hasn't been as good as some would have liked it this year, but I do think that Jr's free agency is the best thing to happen to NASCAR forums!!

Oh ya, he WONT ever run his own team, at least not in Cup. He isn't that dumb. If he was going to own a team, he wanted an established one that had his name on it already, but alas, Teresa is bound and determinded to let the barbarians come in and drive Fords. Now some of you are saying Robby Gordon is part of this deal? Good lord, if Teresa lets that dork in the door, Jr. should leave NOW before things really gets stupid. My lord....the old man must be looking down on all of this frustrated as all hell....

Mark in Oshawa
17th May 2007, 18:41
DATELINE North Carolina: A small earth tremour keeps rumbling through the Piedmont plateau from an undisclosed location, caused they think by some unknown rotational object....... could it be Dale Sr. rolling over in his grave over and over again???

Sparky1329
17th May 2007, 21:19
DATELINE North Carolina: A small earth tremour keeps rumbling through the Piedmont plateau from an undisclosed location, caused they think by some unknown rotational object....... could it be Dale Sr. rolling over in his grave over and over again???

Probably.

muggle not
27th May 2007, 14:57
Hot rumor is that Jr is going to Gibbs without Budweiser.

Another hot rumor has him going with Ginn. I am starting to lean towards Ginn as the winner.

Sparky1329
27th May 2007, 19:52
Hot rumor is that Jr is going to Gibbs without Budweiser.

Another hot rumor has him going with Ginn. I am starting to lean towards Ginn as the winner.

You know that might be a good idea. If he went to RCR he'd still be in the shadow of his father even though he'd be racing for somebody who would look out for him. I think he'd get the same thing at JGR. Bobby Ginn seems to be willing to do whatever it takes to be competitive. Signing Dale Jr would give his organization a good financial shot in the arm to help make that happen. Maybe Jr needs to go in a completely different direction.

Cindy_AL
28th May 2007, 16:48
The rumor of Jr going to Gibbs also involves having VISA as his sponsor. Do you think his image will be hurt (fan-wise, etc) by losing Bud as his sponsor? Its really hard to imagine Jr without Budweiser.

muggle not
29th May 2007, 00:03
Hehe, I am going to see Jr tomorrow along with Gibbs and his drivers.

I am driving up to Virginia International Raceway, about a 75 minute drive, where DEI, Gibbs racing, Hendricks Motorsports, and Evernham Racing will be testing cars all day on the road course. Wonder if there will be any conversations going on :)

tstran17_88
29th May 2007, 02:51
The rumor of Jr going to Gibbs also involves having VISA as his sponsor. Do you think his image will be hurt (fan-wise, etc) by losing Bud as his sponsor? Its really hard to imagine Jr without Budweiser.
You bet it will! I can't imagine the Talladega faithful throwing their Visa cards on the track when Gordon wins.

Sparky1329
29th May 2007, 05:24

If Jr's fans only cheer for him because of his Bud sponsorship they aren't really fans IMHO. That said I wonder if Jr wouldn't eventually get too old to suit the Budweiser target demographic since their marketing seems geared to a younger age group. He still has a personal service contract with Bud but this might be the right time for him to go in a different direction if his sponsor doesn't leave DEI with him. Most people I know use VISA credit or debit cards even if they don't drink beer.

Sparky1329
29th May 2007, 05:25
Hehe, I am going to see Jr tomorrow along with Gibbs and his drivers.

I am driving up to Virginia International Raceway, about a 75 minute drive, where DEI, Gibbs racing, Hendricks Motorsports, and Evernham Racing will be testing cars all day on the road course. Wonder if there will be any conversations going on :)

Have a good time! If you get any scoops I'll be all ears. :D :up:

Old3Fan
31st May 2007, 00:28
Like a caller on Windtunnel said the other night. Jr is signing with Michael Waltrip and Toyota. He wants Sundays off.

Alexamateo
31st May 2007, 03:26
Like a caller on Windtunnel said the other night. Jr is signing with Michael Waltrip and Toyota. He wants Sundays off.

Sundays off! :laugh: :D

Sparky1329
31st May 2007, 03:54

:rotflmao:

RaceFanStan
31st May 2007, 12:32
Maybe Dale Jr should look at going to the IRL ....... :eek:

Cindy_AL
31st May 2007, 16:48
:laugh:

MD24
1st June 2007, 17:56
http://www.journalnow.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=WSJ%2FMGArticle%2FWSJ_BasicArti cle&c=MGArticle&cid=1173351435643&path=%21sports&s=1037645509200

Some say Earnhardt will drive with Ginn

DOVER, Del.
The Dale Earnhardt Jr. saga continues, and the question in every NASCAR hauler is, “Where is Junior going to land?”
Many drivers seem convinced that Earnhardt will accept an offer to drive for Bobby Ginn, even though Ginn, a Florida real- estate developer, is new to the sport, with less than a year on the circuit. Ginn has been spending lavishly to turn the Jay Frye-run Chevy team into a top-flight operation. Driver Mark Martin led the Nextel Cup standings early this season and even after missing three of the year’s 12 races he’s still 15th in the points.
Martin may return to the Nextel Cup tour full-time in 2008, according to sources.
But Martin’s teammate Sterling Marlin is planning to cut back to a partial schedule, and Ginn said that would open the No. 14 car and its top-35 exemption for Earnhardt.
The more logical options might seem to be with Richard Childress or Rick Hendrick.

Hendrick said that his four drivers aren’t going anywhere, but there are rumblings in the garage that Hendrick might be willing to do some mixing-and-matching to open up a ride for Earnhardt.

If Childress doesn’t get Earnhardt, then Greg Biffle is being penciled in for Childress’ planned fourth team. And Childress is building a 100,000-square foot addition to his current mammoth race shop for that fourth team.
Jimmy Elledge, a former Childress man, would be a logical choice for crew chief, but Elledge - whose wife, Kelley, is Earnhardt’s sister - has another two years on his contract with Dodge’s Chip Ganassi.
Childress is trying to work things out with Dale Earnhardt Inc., from which Dale Jr. is leaving at the end of the season. But there seem to be more problems at DEI: John Menard, the wealthy businessman who is helping bankroll Teresa Earnhardt’s operation for racer-son Paul, may be ready to pull out, too. Menard could wind up back working with struggling Robby Gordon - the two have long been business partners, and Gordon is trying to get his team righted again.

harvick#1
1st June 2007, 18:14
sniffles and Harvick teammates ? no possible way

GARYGAZZA
3rd June 2007, 18:17
Jeff Hammond reckons Jr will sign for Joe Gibbs?

Old3Fan
4th June 2007, 00:43
Jeff Hammond reckons Jr will sign for Joe Gibbs?

If he does he won't be in a Budweiser Car. Tony and Hamlin are his best buds but Old Joe won't have a liquor decal on his cars.

Sparky1329
4th June 2007, 03:38
The Coach has his principles and I'd never fault him for that. Jr doesn't need Bud to keep on keeping on.

rabf1
5th June 2007, 15:59
It would be pretty shocking for Jr. to leave Budweiser sponsorship, but going with the Coach seems like a good fit to me. What would Budweiser do, stay with DEI and get a new driver?

muggle not
5th June 2007, 16:10
The Coach has his principles and I'd never fault him for that. Jr doesn't need Bud to keep on keeping on.

You only say that because you drink Corona. :)

Alexamateo
5th June 2007, 16:30
It would be pretty shocking for Jr. to leave Budweiser sponsorship, but going with the Coach seems like a good fit to me. What would Budweiser do, stay with DEI and get a new driver?

Maybe Budweiser moves into Series Sponsorship.

Sparky1329
5th June 2007, 19:56
You only say that because you drink Corona. :)

Budweiser sucks eggs. Actually I've been "into" Rolling Rock for about the past year. :D

muggle not
5th June 2007, 22:03
Budweiser sucks eggs. Actually I've been "into" Rolling Rock for about the past year. :D
I didn't know there was any "Rolling Rock" left. I thought that I consumed it all in my younger years. :) And I am serious.

Sparky1329
5th June 2007, 22:19
I didn't know there was any "Rolling Rock" left. I thought that I consumed it all in my younger years. :) And I am serious.

Oh yes my dear. A-B bought them out so it's not bottled in Latrobe anymore but it's still darn good beer. :D

harvick#1
5th June 2007, 23:37
I like Truex's comments about the whole DEI and Jooyner thing :laugh:

good shot at Jooyner on that one :D

MD24
6th June 2007, 02:31
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/lars_anderson/06/05/earnhardt/

Hendrick Motorsports, Earnhardt Jr. mull marriage
Posted: Tuesday June 5, 2007 1:59PM; Updated: Tuesday June 5, 2007 1:59PM

It could be a dream lineup of drivers at Hendrick Motorsports when the green flag drops for the Daytona 500 next February: Jeff Gordon, Jimmie Johnson, and ... Dale Earnhardt Jr.
Yes, in spite of various reports over the weekend that claimed that Little E -- the most coveted free agent in NASCAR history -- was close to reaching an agreement with Joe Gibbs Racing on a long-term contract, don't buy it. From what I'm hearing, the leader in the Earnhardt sweepstakes at this point is Hendrick Motorsports, the most dominant team in NASCAR over the last few years.
If this is going to happen, though, a few dominoes still need to fall. NASCAR limits the size of each race organization to four teams, and Hendrick currently has four drivers under contract through the 2008 season: Gordon, Johnson, Kyle Busch and Casey Mears. But Hendrick could farm out of one his drivers to a place like Ginn Racing, which already leases its motors from Hendrick.
Last Friday afternoon at Dover, Earnhardt strolled into the infield media center and held court for about 15 minutes. "I don't particularly want to be in this situation," he said. "But I'm trying to make it as positive a learning experience as I can. We're trying not to comment too much on how things are going or what's going on until we can really have something to say, but I can tell you that things are positive. I've just been overwhelmed with the personalities that I've met, with the owners and the individuals working at each company. There are certainly a lot of great people out there with good morals and good values and with great attitudes about the sport and about what they want to accomplish."
When Earnhardt uttered the words "good morals" I immediately thought of Gibbs, who's a devout Christian. And so when Jeff Hammond of Fox announced during the pre-race telecast on Sunday that according to his sources, Little E was going to sign with Gibbs and that an announcement was imminent, it appeared to make sense. But then on Monday and Tuesday morning I talked to several sources, and according to them, Gibbs isn't even the frontrunner to sign Earnhardt. That distinction, from what I'm told, goes to Hendrick Motorsports.
If Junior does move to Hendrick next year, he would fit in just fine. He's friends with both Gordon and Johnson, and he already has a tight relationship with Hendrick himself. In fact, one of the most important things that Earnhardt is searching for is to have a tight bond with his new owner. His stepmother, Teresa Earnhardt, the owner of DEI, was rarely at the track and wasn't around to congratulate Junior whenever he won or console him when he had a poor finish. Earnhardt simply didn't feel appreciated by his boss. Even if you're the most popular driver in NASCAR history, it's still important to hear from your superior that you're doing a good job.
Earnhardt would get this from Hendrick, who's trackside nearly every weekend and is always in Victory Lane to give his driver's a big bear hug.
It's nowhere near a done deal that Little E will sign with Hendrick, but that's the direction he appears to be moving. Junior will likely make a decision about where he'll be racing next year by the end of the month.

harvick#1
6th June 2007, 04:23
if Hendrick was to take anyone out, it would be Busch, hes just a ticking time bomb like his idiotic brother.

but all the Jooyner hating Hendrick Talladega fans are gonna get real upset if that happens

MD24
6th June 2007, 04:34
if Hendrick was to take anyone out, it would be Busch, hes just a ticking time bomb like his idiotic brother.

You could be right ,I've been disappointed with his performance and attitude lately

Hoss Ghoul
6th June 2007, 07:40
One of the rumours on NASCAR Now was that Bifle, who's looking for a new ride, may be in line to move to DEI, AND that perhaps Budweiser would stay there. Seems a bit far fetched to me, but who knows. It would open Jr. up to moving to Gibbs with Visa as has been rumoured.

Cindy_AL
7th June 2007, 14:54
Visa denied the rumors yesterday.

rabf1
7th June 2007, 17:48
I think the Budweiser/Jr sponsorship is like the Gordon/DuPont ponsorship; its forever.

If he wants to win, Hendrick would certainly appear to be the best place to go.

harvick#1
7th June 2007, 18:17
if Jr wants to win, just ask Truex how to do it :p :

MD24
12th June 2007, 18:33
http://www.scenedaily.com/stories/2007/06/11/scene_daily854.html

SCENEDAILY - 12:40PM ET TUESDAY JUNE 12, 2007 -

JR Motorsports has scheduled a press conference at its shop in Mooresville, N.C., fueling speculation that Dale Earnhardt Jr. will announe his future employer.
Earnhardt Jr. Is leaving the team his father founded, Dale Earnhardt Inc., at the end of the 2007 season.
NASCAR's most popular driver has said he will remain with Chevrolet, with Joe Gibbs Racing, Hendrick Motorsports and Richard Childress Racing widely believed to be the leading candidates to land Earnhardt Jr. in past weeks. Officials with Ginn Racing and Joe Gibbs Racing each said their teams were not involved in the news conference while a spokesperson for Richard Childress Racing said the team owner is out of the country on a hunting trip and that he is not expected to be back in the country tomorrow. A Hendrick Motorsports spokesman had no comment.
A call to Dale Earnhardt Jr.'s spokesman was not immediately returned.
Speed has announced plans to air the news conference live at 11 a.m. EDT.

Cindy_AL
12th June 2007, 18:43
HMS had no comment.... Hmmmmmm.....

I like the way that sounds. :p :

dont_be_jack
12th June 2007, 18:58
Ginn or RCR, it's going to be either one of those...

muggle not
12th June 2007, 19:00
Looks like HMS to me.

http://www.speedtv.com/articles/nascar/nextel/38004/
CUP: Earnhardt Press Conference Wednesday
Written by: Tom Jensen
Mooresville, N.C. – 6/12/2007

Junior: ready to set the stage for 2008?

Dale Earnhardt Jr. has scheduled a news conference for Wednesday at 11 a.m. at his JR Motorsports race shop in Mooresville, N.C. At that time, he will announce his 2008 plans, team spokesman Mike Davis confirmed.

After this season, Earnhardt will leave Dale Earnhardt, Inc., the only team he has driven for in his Nextel Cup career. Earnhardt announced last month he was splitting with DEI, largely because of strong personality differences with his team owner and stepmother, Teresa Earnhardt.

Earnhardt has made it clear that he would only drive for a Chevrolet team, one capable of winning championships. That has led to speculation he would move to either Hendrick Motorsports, Joe Gibbs Racing or Richard Childress Racing, all of whom have won championships already. Ginn Racing has also been mentioned as a longshot.

Although team owner Rick Hendrick recently described the situation at Hendrick Motorsports as having “no room at the inn” due to already having four fully-sponsored teams, Hendrick’s name has emerged as a frontrunner in the Earnhardt sweepstakes, either with Earnhardt joining Hendrick or Hendrick providing support to a JR Motorsports entry.

A Hendrick spokesman contacted by SPEED said in an e-mail Tuesday morning, “We’re not going to comment on anything at this time.” Representatives from Gibbs, RCR and Ginn said they are not involved in tomorrow’s press conference.

Joe Gibbs Racing President J.D. Gibbs has repeatedly said he would welcome Earnhardt, but not his longtime primary sponsor, Budweiser, who has a longterm personal services contract with the driver.

The recent announcement that RCR & DEI are merging their engine departments indicated to many observers that is unlikely Earnhardt will sign with RCR, the team where his father won six of his seven championships.

Stay tuned to SpeedTV.com for much more on this developing story.

SPEED will broadcast the press conference live, with pre-press conference live updates beginning at 10 a.m. At 11 a.m. ET, John Roberts will host a special live edition of The SPEED Report, with Bob Dillner on site in Mooresville, N.C. The press conference is expected to last one hour.

At 7 p.m. ET, SPEED will present a special half-hour edition of The SPEED Report to summarize the day’s events.

Chandler
12th June 2007, 20:58
According to Jayski:

UPDATE 2: ESPN.com's Marty Smith reports: Dale Earnhardt Jr. on Wednesday will announce his intent to drive the #5 Hendrick Motorsports Chevy in 2008, multiple sources with intimate knowledge of negotiations told ESPN.com Tuesday on condition of anonymity. Hendrick Motorsports declined comment Tuesday, and e-mails and calls sent to Earnhardt's representation were not returned. Kelley Earnhardt Elledge, who has handled contract negotiations for her brother, declined to comment on the report. There was some speculation that the wheels are already in motion to plant Earnhardt in the #5 now driven by Kyle Busch before season's end, but Dale Earnhardt, Inc. president Max Siegel, contacted by phone Tuesday, discounted that scenario, saying Earnhardt would remain in the #8 through season's end. Sources said there are indications that Busch may not finish the year in the #5. Busch is under contract with HMS through the end of next season, and Hendrick had been working to sign the 22-year old driver to an extension. Jeff Dickerson, an attorney for Busch, told ESPN.com that "a lot of things may or may not occur. Out of respect for Hendrick Motorsports, we're not really sure what's going on yet. But we're trying. I don't think anything's changed yet. I can not tell you that Kyle is out of the #5 for 2008." Meanwhile, one potential scenario would be Casey Mears moving to the #5 and Earnhardt moving to the #25 currently being driven by Mears [Budweiser sponsored Hendrick and the #25 for many years]. It is unknown whether sponsor Budweiser will follow Earnhardt to Hendrick.(ESPN.com), the Associated Press is reporting similar news/speculatn.(6-12-2007)

Old3Fan
14th June 2007, 18:29
The deal is done. Jr. to Hendricks with a 5 year contract. No car number or sponsor as of yet. Kyle Busch was looking over the field for more money and approached Hendricks about letting him look around, Hendricks says Wheeeeeu!!! and the Shrub is on his way out. To RCR I bet. Kyle to RCR and RCR lets Teresa have the #3 and Teresa lets Hendrick have the #8. Jr keeps Budweiser as the major sponsor. Kellogs goes to Casey Mears in the 25 car. :) The end of the story :)