PDA

View Full Version : Wrc2 / wrc3 - 2020

Pages : [1] 2

Sulland
13th November 2019, 20:51
What kind of field will we see in level 2 in the world championship in 20?

- Solberg
- Gryazin
- ?

Will we see any of the manufactureres with 2 car teams next year?

er88
13th November 2019, 21:19
I'm guessing Breen with Hyundai.

WRC1
13th November 2019, 21:22
Solberg O. and Loubet in Skoda ;)

the sniper
13th November 2019, 22:11
Solberg O. and Loubet in Skoda ;)

I hope it's Chris Ingram rather than Loubet. Loubet doesn't need a manufacturer funded drive, he'll be there anyway. Plus, if Loubet is going to be in a WRCar for some rounds, I don't know that it'd be considered compatible with a Skoda works drive. Seemingly wasn't an option for Pontus Tidemand anyway.

Rallyper
14th November 2019, 07:58
Emil? ... ;)

Fast Eddie WRC
14th November 2019, 08:42
Chris Ingram should be there, either a few rounds privately funded with Toksport, or maybe even in a works team.

Got Mail
18th November 2019, 18:42
https://t.co/TQrnULaeLo?amp=1

Gryazin with the revised Hyundai R5.

Partner to Breen in 2020?

RS
27th November 2019, 13:52
With World Rally Car entries likely to be more sparse next year and some excellent drivers on the market, 2020 would be a perfect time for the manufacturers to step up their WRC2 programmes.

pantealex
9th December 2019, 17:02
Confirmed:
"Pedro" with Fiesta R5 Mk2 to WRC3, with MSport service so not private.

Oliver Solberg has confirmed Monte with Polo R5 and Sweden not mentioning car. He is planning to do 12 WRC rallies 2020, December 20th will be publishing day.

It will be interesting to see who is allowed to drive in WRC3 ???

Got Mail
10th December 2019, 11:35
I'm guessing SKODA Motorsport will announce their 2020 line up tomorrow at their Press Conference.

Got Mail
10th December 2019, 11:36
Confirmed:

Oliver Solberg has confirmed Monte with Polo R5 and Sweden not mentioning car. He is planning to do 12 WRC rallies 2020, December 20th will be publishing day.

Are you certain he's entering Monte in a Polo?

That would be surprising.

Rallyper
10th December 2019, 11:47
Confirmed:

Where did you see that? I haven´t seen it on Twitter...

dimviii
10th December 2019, 13:07

i read it too Per,but cant remember where.

AnttiL
10th December 2019, 13:37

Regarding Solberg

https://www.rallit.fi/rallilupaus-solbergilla-kovat-suunnitelmat-ensi-kaudeksi-haluan-tulla-koko-ajan-paremmaksi/

The original source is Värmlands Folkblad

Got Mail
10th December 2019, 15:08
Regarding Solberg

https://www.rallit.fi/rallilupaus-solbergilla-kovat-suunnitelmat-ensi-kaudeksi-haluan-tulla-koko-ajan-paremmaksi/

The original source is Värmlands Folkblad

That article doesn't really say if he's using the Polo.

I'd be amazed if SKODA allow him to drive anything other than a Fabia.

SubaruNorway
10th December 2019, 15:11
Solberg is only skipping NZ, 6 events in factory and 6 in private car is probably the plan.
He will talk at a TOOLS dealer close to where i work tomorrow afternoon about his 2020 plans

pantealex
10th December 2019, 17:10
That article doesn't really say if he's using the Polo.

I'd be amazed if SKODA allow him to drive anything other than a Fabia.

Article says that he is driving MONTE with Volkswagen R5...
Is there other than Polo ?

deephouse
10th December 2019, 17:29
Basically it's VAG - Volkswagen, actually under the same roof. And currently there is two models from ''that brand'' (if we say that it counts as one big family) Polo and Fabia with R5 badge on it.

Got Mail
10th December 2019, 18:03
Article says that he is driving MONTE with Volkswagen R5...
Is there other than Polo ?

I'm using Google Translate and it doesn't say he is entering Monte with a Polo. It said he owns a Polo.

Google may have translated it wrongly.

Got Mail
10th December 2019, 18:04
Solberg is only skipping NZ, 6 events in factory and 6 in private car is probably the plan.
He will talk at a TOOLS dealer close to where i work tomorrow afternoon about his 2020 plans

If he is in Norway tomorrow and not Mlada Boleslav then my information is clearly very wrong.

RS
10th December 2019, 18:11
If he is in Norway tomorrow and not Mlada Boleslav then my information is clearly very wrong.

Yep, Skoda Motorsport press conference tomorrow so if he’s not there he’s not with Skoda.

AnttiL
10th December 2019, 18:15
I'm using Google Translate and it doesn't say he is entering Monte with a Polo. It said he owns a Polo.

Google may have translated it wrongly.

I can confirm the article mentions ”Volkswagen R5” for Monte

GigiGalliNo1
11th December 2019, 03:00
Should we start a new thread as WRC2 is now WRC3 for 2020?

RS
11th December 2019, 04:43
This article says the FIA will mandate which events form the WRC2 calendar.. is that correct and if so which events are they?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_World_Rally_Championship-2

AnttiL
11th December 2019, 05:05
This article says the FIA will mandate which events form the WRC2 calendar.. is that correct and if so which events are they?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_World_Rally_Championship-2

"All seven European rounds and one of two named overseas rallies" was mentioned earlier.

Sulland
11th December 2019, 08:28
Not sure if I can change this in the thread, in the WRC board, maybe an Admin has to magic it?

RS
11th December 2019, 08:43
"All European rounds and one of two overseas rallies" was mentioned earlier.

Great the FIA are so clear with the season start six weeks away :rolleyes:

I guess the teams have been told at least..

TypeR
11th December 2019, 10:33
Oliver Solberg on FB
,,Today we will be at TOOLS Gjøvik signing some autographs and some giveaways between 12:00 and 17:00, hope to see you guys there����''

+ selling his RX and Rally truck also.

Got Mail
11th December 2019, 11:05
I understand there may be a two car WRC2 team being established with full backing from a certain tyre manufacturer for 2020.

I wonder if OS is going that route rather than SKODA.

Personally, I think he'd benefit more from working within the discipline of a proper works team.

RS
11th December 2019, 11:25
Kalle and Jan are doing the driving today at Skoda so wondering what, if anything, they are going to announce for next year..

TypeR
11th December 2019, 11:40
+ now selling also the PSRX VW team race trailer.. so seems like they don't need these anymore and will get to use the white-green coloured trucks.. :D

peg306
11th December 2019, 11:55
Johan Kristoffersson leaves circuit-racing with the goal of participating in WRC2 (it says in the article, but i would guess they really mean WRC3?)
https://www.svt.se/sport/rally/johan-kristoffersson-lamnar-wtcr

PLuto
11th December 2019, 12:14
I have renamed this thread to Wrc2 / Wrc3 - 2020 as this situation with WRC2 and WRC3 is confusing and in reality nobody knows which championship they will do in reality...

TypeR
11th December 2019, 12:29
FIA puts a lot more effort in changing the class names every year, rather than keeping the focus on new car regulations etc or something that would really make difference

Sulland
11th December 2019, 12:59
Johan Kristoffersson leaves circuit-racing with the goal of participating in WRC2 (it says in the article, but i would guess they really mean WRC3?)
https://www.svt.se/sport/rally/johan-kristoffersson-lamnar-wtcr

Could it be a Polo team with Oliver and Johan in the making?

peg306
11th December 2019, 13:41
Afaik there is a third Polo on the way to Kristoffersson Motorsport, so they will for sure have enough cars to make it happen.

pantealex
11th December 2019, 15:47
I have renamed this thread to Wrc2 / Wrc3 - 2020 as this situation with WRC2 and WRC3 is confusing and in reality nobody knows which championship they will do in reality...

Why with small rc-letters ?

Should be WRC2 / WRC3 - 2020 or WRC2/3 - 2020 :)

Sulland
11th December 2019, 15:56
Why with small rc-letters ?

Should be WRC2 / WRC3 - 2020 or WRC2/3 - 2020 :)

There is something with the forum, sometimes I write with capital letters, but when I post the system changes all after first letter to small letters in the thread name.
Other times it works, and It is not changed, and capital letters are kept.
strange, or have I missed some setting I have to change?

prpr
11th December 2019, 16:49
I thought Skoda announced weeks ago that they were closing their works team?

RS
11th December 2019, 17:00

There was no offficial news. We should know more today.

SubaruNorway
11th December 2019, 17:04

Should be some news out soon, not official yet but we got to hear about the plans for the next 3 years at TOOLS today.

Got Mail
11th December 2019, 18:32
SKODA Press Conference is happening now.

Got Mail
11th December 2019, 18:38
Should be some news out soon, not official yet but we got to hear about the plans for the next 3 years at TOOLS today.

We're all waiting for you.....

Confidentiality assured.

RS
11th December 2019, 18:51
‘Skoda will continue next year as a racing car manufacturer that will support talented drivers’

Sounds like no works team to me.

AnttiL
11th December 2019, 20:16
‘Skoda will continue next year as a racing car manufacturer that will support talented drivers’

Sounds like no works team to me.

Yeah, that's what it sounds like.

RS
11th December 2019, 20:49
After a successful 2019, Christian Strube, Head of Technical Development ŠKODA AUTO, gave an outlook to the future and emphasized: “An even bigger focus will be on our customers – and we will support young drivers, as we have already successfully done in the past. With our fast and reliable ŠKODA FABIA R5 evo, we have the right car to compete on a top level on the rally tracks worldwide and to make the 119th year in our motorsport history together with our great team successful again!”

ŠKODA Motorsport Director Michal Hrabánek bid farewell to Kalle Rovanperä and Jonne Halttunen, who are not competing with ŠKODA any more: “We had two successful seasons with Kalle and Jonne; it was a pleasure to have them in our team. We wish them all the best for their future. Now we are fully concentrated on preparing the next rally season properly.”

Tbh who knows.. that’s pretty cryptic. I guess they are skipping Monte at least.

RS
11th December 2019, 21:20
Spanish are reporting works team indeed out. Sounds like some scheme where they will support (fund) certain privateer drivers, including Solberg by the sounds of it.

Kopecky continues in Czech Championship (again!). My guess would be Mares will do ERC.

https://www.diariomotor.com/competicion/noticia/skoda-motorsport-mundial-de-rallyes-2020/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Mirek
12th December 2019, 07:30
My guess would be Mares will do ERC.

There are rumors that Mareš will drive Monte Carlo and maybe more in WRC2.

AnttiL
12th December 2019, 07:43

WRC2 or WRC3? :rolleyes:

skarderud
12th December 2019, 08:19
Oliver 50/50 skoda and polo in WRC3?

Sent fra min SM-G950F via Tapatalk

RS
12th December 2019, 09:39

Ok, the more the better but I would have thought a full ERC programme would have been a good idea first.

What about Kopecky? Is he really happy with Czech Championship only?

Mirek
12th December 2019, 10:56

I have no information about what he's going to drive.

Mirek
12th December 2019, 10:59
WRC2 or WRC3? :rolleyes:

Sorry, to be honest I don't know what is the difference now. I didn't follow any news about the new naming at all...

Mirek
12th December 2019, 11:20
I have no information about what he's going to drive.

OK, so I can see that more info is out.

- no works team in WRC2
- works support for certain young drivers in WRC2/3
- Kopecký in MČR only
- change due to the VAG policy to support only customer motorsport
- new car replacing the current Fabia R5 Evo possible in the future but not in the next two years, development of the current car to continue

skarderud
12th December 2019, 11:35
Solberg in Škoda, monte in polo.
All rounds, 50/50 private and factory.

Gryazin and veiby in Hyundai

AnttiL
12th December 2019, 11:36
Sorry, to be honest I don't know what is the difference now. I didn't follow any news about the new naming at all...

WRC2Pro 2019 => WRC2 2020
WRC2 2019 => WRC3 2020

RS
12th December 2019, 12:24
- change due to the VAG policy to support only customer motorsport

Hopefully they'll reconsider WRC if it involves hybrid tech in the future.

RS
12th December 2019, 12:28
Solberg in Škoda, monte in polo.
All rounds, 50/50 private and factory.

Gryazin and veiby in Hyundai

News or rumours?

deephouse
12th December 2019, 12:45
That means WRC lost two manufacturers in 2020. Way to go FIA

Mirek
12th December 2019, 12:46
That means WRC lost two manufacturers in 2020. Way to go FIA

It's too easy to blame FIA. The main reason is the general development in the automotive industry which has little to do with FIA.

Rallyper
12th December 2019, 14:02
It's too easy to blame FIA. The main reason is the general development in the automotive industry which has little to do with FIA.

Then, who should adapt?

Mirek
12th December 2019, 14:27
Then, who should adapt?

That is logical question but it doesn't always have an answer.

The green movement (coming largely from your country by the way) leads to a situation in which the public will be more and more against wasting of energy in any sort of motorsports - even electric energy. This is a development which motorsport bodies can hardly adapt to and which the manufacturers can not ignore if they want to survive in the future.

We have to take it as a fact that the golden years of motorsport are gone and that it will start to fade away. The question is how fast this process will be. I personally don't know.

the sniper
12th December 2019, 16:10
That is logical question but it doesn't always have an answer.

The green movement (coming largely from your country by the way) leads to a situation in which the public will be more and more against wasting of energy in any sort of motorsports - even electric energy. This is a development which motorsport bodies can hardly adapt to and which the manufacturers can not ignore if they want to survive in the future.

We have to take it as a fact that the golden years of motorsport are gone and that it will start to fade away. The question is how fast this process will be. I personally don't know.

For the reasons you mention, I just hope that the most is made of what will probably be the last decade (the '20s) of being able to keep the contemporary aspect of the sport as we know and love it now. With the Hybrids coming in 2022, you can keep the ICE element while still being relevant to manufacturers and their marketing departments hopefully at least until 2026. Beyond that the future is uncertain, so let's hope the powers that be manage to pull everything together to make the the most of the foreseeable future. After that, we can spend the next few decades enjoying and trying to preserve historic rallying!

(It's this theory that makes me so p*ssed off about the state of the British Rally Championship. It's lost, a premature death, wasting what time it had left to be relevant and worthy of its legacy.)

pantealex
12th December 2019, 16:45
WRC2Pro 2019 => WRC2 2020
WRC2 2019 => WRC3 2020

It´s not that simple.

WRC2-2020 can be full private team (like BRR, TGS, MMM or Printsport)
and
WRC3-2020 is for privateer drivers (I remember that originally it was said that every Rally2/R5 competitor is automatically WRC3 if (s)he isn´t in WRC2)

the sniper
12th December 2019, 16:55

According to David Evans he's doing WRC2: "Factory drivers Kalle Rovanpera and Jan Kopecky will move on from the factory squad, with the Finn stepping up to a Toyota Yaris WRC next season, while Kopecky will drive for the Czech importer team in WRC 2."

https://www.autosport.com/wrc/news/147593/no-works-skoda-in-wrc-team-could-sign-solberg

I've got to say, this new Skoda arrangement sounds promising for Chris Ingram/Toksport.

Mirek
12th December 2019, 17:38
That may be a mistake. Hrabánek said Kopecký would drive only the Czech championship in Škoda CZ colors.

dimviii
12th December 2019, 18:32
Skoda axes works WRC2 team after "losing great drivers"

Skoda will not run a factory team in WRC2 next season, and the Czech manufacturer says losing Kalle Rovanpera was a key factor in the decision.

This year, Rovanpera became the fourth different driver in as many years to win the title in a Skoda Fabia R5, taking honours in the newly split-off WRC2 Pro category with five wins.

The 19-year-old Finn follows Esapekka Lappi, Pontus Tidemand and Jan Kopecky in becoming WRC2 champion, and has landed a factory Toyota seat for 2020.

Skoda had already scaled back from five to two factory cars for Rovanpera and Kopecky this season but will now do away with its works squad entirely.

Skoda Motorsport team manager Pavel Hortek confirmed the move to selected media, including Motorsport.com, during the brand's traditional end-of-season event in Prague.

Kopecky, however, is set to remain in the Czech national championship with Skoda support.

Asked by Motorsport.com if this decision was due to Rovanpera's departure to Toyota, Hortek replied: "Of course, because we have no one to replace him. Oliver Solberg could be an option for someone to support, but not in a factory team.

"We have sold 328 cars and we have many customers, we don't have the capacity to maintain all that and also an official team. Having lost great drivers has been key."

With Citroen having withdrawn from rallying, it leaves only Ford and Hyundai as potential factory entrants in the class next year, which will be known simply as WRC2.

What was known as WRC2 this year will be renamed WRC3 and open only to privateer teams running R5-spec machinery.

https://www.motorsport.com/wrc/news/skoda-quits-wrc2-rovanpera-kopecky/4612411/

Allez Andruet
12th December 2019, 18:49
Skoda axes works WRC2 team after "losing great drivers"

Well that's an excuse we hadn't heard before! No wait...

dimviii
12th December 2019, 18:55

and they couldnt find another one....

Mirek
12th December 2019, 19:13

Hrabánek told to Czech press agency ČTK that the decision was taken in accordance with the VAG policy which is IMHo the real reason.

deephouse
12th December 2019, 20:04

Excuse. Hire promising driver, Ingram, Gryazin or Solberg. Then put Kopecky in other car and one of those two can win the title pretty easy.

Didn't VAG dictate in the past in case of Seat?

And what they need to achieve more? To me it's more like if Hyundai really steps in they maybe don't want to lose to them...

AnttiL
13th December 2019, 11:02
Maybe Skoda wanted to avoid paying 150 000 dollars entry fee for a WRC2 factory entry like this year? Instead, they'll just support private teams and claim being winners at the end of the year?

rallyfiend
13th December 2019, 11:06
Maybe Skoda wanted to avoid paying 150 000 dollars entry fee for a WRC2 factory entry like this year? Instead, they'll just support private teams and claim being winners at the end of the year?

Cars can't score points in WRC2 unless the registration fee is paid by the manufacturer.

AnttiL
13th December 2019, 11:47
Cars can't score points in WRC2 unless the registration fee is paid by the manufacturer.

Is this just assumed by remaining the same from 2019 or do you know it will be like that in 2020?

deephouse
13th December 2019, 19:38

Possible. Maybe saving for a huge development (fingers crossed)... You know what I mean.

Barreis
13th December 2019, 22:19
150k€ is nothing when looking on development costs

PLuto
14th December 2019, 00:04
150k€ is nothing when looking on development costs

Waste of money for nothing. And Skoda knows very well that WRC2 Pro was introduced mainly to dig money from Skoda...

liposh
14th December 2019, 05:24
Possible. Maybe saving for a huge development (fingers crossed)... You know what I mean.
You know what? I would be totally happy if Skoda will develop some next generation R5 rally car (they say it should be also some kind of hybrid) in near future instead of switching to circuit racing like E-TCR. THAT would be disaster.

RS
19th December 2019, 14:07
Some answers on WRC2/3:

PARTICIPATION IN FIA WRC2
6.2.1 In order to score points in the WRC2 Championship for
Teams supported by a Manufacturer or independent, Drivers,-
Co-Drivers and Teams must register with the FIA before the
closing date of entries of the first rally entered. Registration in
the WRC2 Championships is set at €100,000 for teams with
the Manufacturer name in the title or €10,000 for a private
team. Any manufacturer registered as per Art. 5.2 does not
need to pay the individual WRC Championship fee for Manufacturers.
6.2.2 Any team registered in WRC2 may not enter more than two
(2) cars in each championship rally and must participate in a
minimum of 8 rallies with a minimum of one car, including one
rally outside of Europe. All cars will be taken into account for
the points.
6.2.3 In order to score WRC2 Championship points, the entry in
individual rallies must be made using the FIA standard entry
form in the name of the competitor as stated on the licence
used to register in this Support Championship.
6.2.4 When a Team enters a rally as per Art. 6.2.3, the driver and
co-driver will automatically score points.
6.3 PARTICIPATION IN FIA WRC3
6.3.1 In order to score points in the WRC3 Championship, drivers
must register with the FIA before the closing date of entries of
the first rally entered. Registration for the WRC3 Championship, set at €3,000, must be made in the name of a driver
holding a current and valid competitor’s licence. Co-drivers
are not required to register. Drivers who hold a licence from the ASN of the organising country in which they participate as
a first event, are not requested to pay the WRC 3 registration
fee. However, this registration fee must be paid, should the
driver enter another event as a WRC3 driver during the same
calendar year.
6.3.2 In order to score WRC3 Championship points, the entry in
individual rallies must be made using the FIA standard online
entry form at https://registrations.fia.co/rally Any entry thus
submitted shall always be considered as one of the 7 rallies
as per Article 6.4.4, unless the Stewards grant a case of force
majeure upon individual application which must be supported
by clear evidence.
6.3.3 WRC3 registered competitors/drivers wishing to enter a rally
without scoring WRC3 Championship points shall enter as a
non-priority driver using the FIA standard online entry form at
the address given in the supplementary regulations of the rally.

6.4.1 For the awarding of points, a separate classification of the
teams, drivers and co-drivers eligible to score points in that
specific rally will be drawn from the general classification.
Points scored in the Support Championships shall always be in
the name of the team, driver and co-driver.
6.4.2 The WRC2 Champion title for teams will be awarded to the
team who has scored the highest number of points at the end
of the year. All the results will be taken into account when
drawing up the final classification of the Championship.
6.4.3 The WRC 2 Champion titles for Drivers and Co-Drivers will
be awarded to the driver and co-driver who have scored the
highest number of points from 8 of the rallies in which they
were entered by a team registered in the WRC 2 Championship.
6.4.4 The WRC3 Champion titles for Drivers and Co-Drivers will
be awarded to the driver and co-driver who have scored the
highest number of points from 6 of the first 7 rallies which they
have entered to score points. In the remaining rallies they may
neither score nor detract points from other registered drivers.

dimviii
19th December 2019, 15:28
https://www.wrc.com/en/wrc-2/news/2019/december-2019/solberg-monte/page/6901--51-51-.html

RS
19th December 2019, 16:37
Maybe Skoda won't register for WRC2 if they have to pay 100,000eur to have their name in the team title. Could just put their supported drivers in WRC3 instead.

AnttiL
19th December 2019, 16:46
Maybe Skoda won't register for WRC2 if they have to pay 100,000eur to have their name in the team title. Could just put their supported drivers in WRC3 instead.

Basically they already announced they will do this. Although, they will probably support a WRC2 private team. Entry fee is 10 000 for a private team.

Got Mail
19th December 2019, 22:38
Basically they already announced they will do this. Although, they will probably support a WRC2 private team. Entry fee is 10 000 for a private team.

Am I right in thinking that you could enter two cars in WRC2 for €10000 and two cars entered in WRC3 would cost €6000?

RS
20th December 2019, 04:56
Am I right in thinking that you could enter two cars in WRC2 for €10000 and two cars entered in WRC3 would cost €6000?

Yes, but there is no team’s championship in WRC3.

Franky
20th December 2019, 07:21
Yes, but there is no team’s championship in WRC3.

What do they get for winning the team's championship in WRC2?

AnttiL
20th December 2019, 08:14
https://www.rallit.fi/ruotsalaistahden-ura-ottaa-takapakkia-rallin-mm-sarjassa-se-voi-olla-fiksumpaa/

Tidemand considers driving in WRC2 next year. He's waiting for hybrids to bring more seats before returning to the main class.

Original source is Swedish ASN's Pole Position magazine.

RS
20th December 2019, 08:21

Nothing, apart from an FIA title I guess.

dodge33cymru
20th December 2019, 08:43

Don't pull at that thread please, you'll unravel motorsport...

Franky
20th December 2019, 10:16
Don't pull at that thread please, you'll unravel motorsport...

Ok, I'll rephrase it. What's in it for the teams to join WRC2 team's championship?

Co-driven
20th December 2019, 14:07

I think it's 10k for the team registration + 10k per car in WRC2.

RS
21st December 2019, 19:21
Looking at the scoring rules for the WRC2 titles it may turn out that the winners are the ones who start the most events, especially the team’s title.

AnttiL
21st December 2019, 19:43
Looking at the scoring rules for the WRC2 titles it may turn out that the winners are the ones who start the most events, especially the team’s title.

It's the same as WRC2Pro this year. And the same that WRC1 used to be until 1993.

mousti
22nd December 2019, 00:20
Skoda Motorsport should announce minimal one driver they will support next season. Skoda Motorsport Engineer Yannick Willockx said on a local radioshow that he already got some dates pinned for next year.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn ONEPLUS A6013 met Tapatalk

RS
22nd December 2019, 12:00
It's the same as WRC2Pro this year. And the same that WRC1 used to be until 1993.

Ahh ok, I didn’t look into it for 2019 tbh as it seemed a foregone conclusion.

Seems they haven’t done anything to stop teams nominating privateer drivers to score points for them as Skoda did a few times this year.

As teams don’t necessarily have to have a manufacturer name in the title we could see a situation where they use different cars across the year too.

RS
22nd December 2019, 12:04
Skoda Motorsport should announce minimal one driver they will support next season. Skoda Motorsport Engineer Yannick Willockx said on a local radioshow that he already got some dates pinned for next year.

Will be interesting to see what they do. Is their strategy simply to get the best possible drivers in a Fabia to promote their brand and the R5 car or are they developing drivers for the future just in case they decide to come on board with hybrid WRCs?

skarderud
23rd December 2019, 11:22
As far as i know, Oliver Solberg will drive Škoda in 6-7 rallies in WRC in 2020, the rest of the season in his VW polo partial private.
Seems Johan kristofferson also going to do some rallies in his polo, not wery impossible it is some joint effort here.
VW motorsport is out of all fossildriven motorsport, but VW sweden is supporting this, together with Bauhaus and mostly Monster Energy.

Fast Eddie WRC
23rd December 2019, 12:05
WRC2 Entries for Monte-Carlo:

M Østberg - Citroen C3 R5
OC Veiby - Hyundai i20 R5

dimviii
23rd December 2019, 16:44
Sport Rally
@RallyeSport
·
Program of at least 6 rounds for Nicolas Ciamin in WRC-3

First the Monte-Carlo before attacking the land in Citroën C3 R5 with official support from the manufacturer #WRC

mousti
23rd December 2019, 18:28
Sport Rally
@RallyeSport
·
Program of at least 6 rounds for Nicolas Ciamin in WRC-3

First the Monte-Carlo before attacking the land in Citroën C3 R5 with official support from the manufacturer #WRCC3 will be from DG Sport.

dimviii
23rd December 2019, 19:14
C3 will be from DG Sport.

"This program makes us all the more pleased that it was made possible thanks to official assistance from Citroën Racing, explains Alain Georges, manager of DG Sport Competition. It is the kick-off of a spread out adventure over two years, which will allow Nicolas to gain experience, but also raise his voice as soon as the opportunity arises. The offseason will also be short for everyone, since the first test will already be the Rallye de Monte-Carlo, where Ciamin is able to shine directly, but there is no question of putting pressure on him. You can rather count on DG Sport Competition to assist him in a methodical progression. What is certain is that the involvement of Citroën Racing is a recognition of Nicolas' talent, and that’s really cool… "

http://dgsportcompetition.eu/fr/node/289?fbclid=IwAR38UGf1dVyUc4UqqDJFli1DHL_1wSuUGCxY8 LHrz15xWUn0U4wY4N86zKQ

kure91
26th December 2019, 19:07
Quite surprised that nothing have been mentioned here about plans of Filip Mareš, who plans WRC events in WRC, I suppose that WRC3 it should be.
Vid with announcement - https://www.facebook.com/filipmaresrally/posts/1064870017182760

Andre Oliveira
1st January 2020, 11:36
Marquito Bulacia:

¡Un Citroën C3 R5 y SIE7E fechas del mundial FIA WRC3! ��

���� MÉXICO [Marzo]
���� ARGENTINA [Abril]
���� PORTUGAL [Mayo]
���� ITALIA [Junio]
���� KENYA [Julio] o bien,
���� FINLANDIA [Agosto]
���� TURQUÍA [Septiembre]
���� GALES - GB [Noviembre]

�� ¡Miren si no tenemos motivos para festejar este 2020!

�� ¡FELIZ AÑO NUEVO PARA TODOS!

�� ¡Mañana a las 18:00 la Nota de Prensa contándoles todo!

#BULACIARacing #MarquitoBulacia #WRC #WRC3 #Citroën #CitroënRacing #C3R5 #Bolivia #BoliviaEsMundial

Rally Power
2nd January 2020, 14:49
"This program makes us all the more pleased that it was made possible thanks to official assistance from Citroën Racing, explains Alain Georges, manager of DG Sport Competition. It is the kick-off of a spread out adventure over two years, which will allow Nicolas to gain experience, but also raise his voice as soon as the opportunity arises. The offseason will also be short for everyone, since the first test will already be the Rallye de Monte-Carlo, where Ciamin is able to shine directly, but there is no question of putting pressure on him. You can rather count on DG Sport Competition to assist him in a methodical progression. What is certain is that the involvement of Citroën Racing is a recognition of Nicolas' talent, and that’s really cool… "

http://dgsportcompetition.eu/fr/node/289?fbclid=IwAR38UGf1dVyUc4UqqDJFli1DHL_1wSuUGCxY8 LHrz15xWUn0U4wY4N86zKQ

That’s great news. Ciamin is one of the best young French drivers and was failing to get a proper rally program. Fingers crossed for him.

Btw, DG Sport boss mentions Ciamin will be backed by Citroen on a 2 years programme; it makes one wonder why is PSA investing in the midterm on a young driver…

RS
2nd January 2020, 14:55
Btw, DG Sport boss mentions Ciamin will be backed by Citroen on a 2 years programme; it makes one wonder why is PSA investing in the midterm on a young driver…

Maybe like Skoda, whilst in the business of selling customer cars to have the best possible drivers in their car to promote it on the world stage?

Rally Power
2nd January 2020, 15:08
Maybe like Skoda, whilst in the business of selling customer cars to have the best possible drivers in their car to promote it on the world stage?

Probably, althougth Ciamin will run in WRC3 and they’re already supporting Ostberg in WRC2. Still, one can dream of a PSA/FCA surprise comeback in 2022…

deephouse
2nd January 2020, 16:55
Lancia? :spin:

Rally Power
2nd January 2020, 20:08

Was about to write it in the CBP thread. It’s quite unlikely but having Lancia globally relaunched through a WRC program would be brilliant! Fingers crossed.

Andre Oliveira
2nd January 2020, 23:57
https://scontent.fopo3-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/s960x960/81265139_3148630791832993_7215026607482732544_o.jp g?_nc_cat=109&_nc_ohc=RjQ0ZoSxz9sAQmKlD7MVA9HFBXYWMLt8rHT8TS6Ygd Yh_o0lxpL1zk3gQ&_nc_ht=scontent.fopo3-1.fna&oh=f65ba337c6e911f3a3c0ca336c2c8f5c&oe=5EAC6A06

Steve Boyd
3rd January 2020, 00:38

Was about to write it in the CBP thread. It’s quite unlikely but having Lancia globally relaunched through a WRC program would be brilliant! Fingers crossed.

Entered by Jolly Club!!

Andre Oliveira
3rd January 2020, 16:03
FOURMAUX SET FOR WRC 2
French talent Adrien Fourmaux will team up with M-Sport Ford this year – taking to the wheel of the EcoBoost-powered Ford Fiesta R5 MkII for a campaign in the FIA World Rally Championship’s premier support series, WRC 2.

Like Evans and Greensmith before him, Fourmaux is a perfect example of Ford’s ‘Ladder of Opportunity’ in action, and his career also highlights the close links between M-Sport and the FFSA (Fédération Française du Sport Automobile) – both ardent supporters of young talent.

After winning the renowned Rallye Jeunes series in his native France, he progressed behind the wheel of the Ford Fiesta R2T National as part of the French Junior Championship – finishing third in his debut year before going on to claim the title with five victories in 2018.

Stepping up to the world stage in 2019, the 24-year-old contested three rallies with the Fiesta R2T19 but his standout performances came when tackling five WRC 2 events at the wheel of the Ford Fiesta R5 – securing second place on his debut at Rallye Monte-Carlo and third at Wales Rally GB.

Catching the eye of many around the service park, Fourmaux is now ready to continue his development and M-Sport Ford are keen to encourage the talent and potential of another ambitious youngster.

Partnered by Belgian co-driver Renaud Jamoul, the Frenchman will get his season underway at the season opener in Monte-Carlo; and details of a second M-Sport Ford Fiesta R5 MkII will be revealed at next week’s Autosport International Show at Birmingham’s NEC in the United Kingdom.
Managing Director, Malcolm Wilson OBE, said:

“We’ve been working closely with the FFSA for the past three years, and Adrien’s progress really does embody that collaboration. Since winning Rallye Jeunes he has quickly progressed – almost exclusively with the Fiesta – and it’s great to see him fully integrated into the team this year. This is only his second season at this level, but I fully expect him to keep on impressing!”

Team Principal, Richard Millener, said:

“I’ve not worked with Adrien before, but I have been following his progress and there’s no doubting his speed and potential behind the wheel. This will be an important season for him with much still to learn, but I look forward to working with him and think we could see him challenging for the top results on a number of events. He’s ready to make his mark, and we plan to give him everything he needs to do that.”

Adrien Fourmaux said:

“I’m really proud to be representing M-Sport Ford in the WRC 2 Championship this year – especially as it comes just three years after my Rallye Jeunes victory and first ever rally. Over the past 25 years many French drivers have started their careers with the opportunities the FFSA built with Rallye Jeunes – and it gave me the chance to discover this fantastic sport.

“Now I will be collaborating with M-Sport Ford – a team well known for their support and development of young drivers. I really want to succeed – both for myself, but also for people like Michelin and Yacco who have helped and supported me since the very beginning. This year I will contest a lot of rallies which I already know – and I hope that knowledge will help me challenge for the top results.”

Rally Power
3rd January 2020, 17:13
Entered by Jolly Club!!

Yep, with Alén and Biasion driving the cars! Seriously, if Lancia, making only the Ypsilon for the Italian market, can sell more cars than Alfa Romeo or DS in the whole Europe one can imagine they could do much better with a proper range boosted by a WRC entry: https://www.best-selling-cars.com/europe/2019-q1-q3-europe-best-selling-car-manufacturers-and-brands/

Btw, current FCA administration was already planning to launch a compact Lancia SUV, based in the new Fiat 500X.

Fast Eddie WRC
5th January 2020, 15:46
Chris Ingram just posted that he cant wait for the 2020 season and he'll be at Autosport International.

Possible he could be the second M-Sport WRC2 driver ?

deephouse
5th January 2020, 16:34
Possible he could be ''second Skoda driver''.

AnttiL
7th January 2020, 19:38
Filip Mares starting from Sweden

https://twitter.com/FilipMaresRally/status/1214635333188542464

AnttiL
8th January 2020, 07:30
Østberg will do the WRC2 season with Citroen C3 R5. Thus no WRC drives for him.

His season consists of 8 WRC2 rallies and development tests. He aims to be the champion.

https://www.rallit.fi/mads-ostbergin-rallisuunnitelmat-selvisivat-tavoitteena-mestaruus/

Original source: Aftenposten

AnttiL
9th January 2020, 09:22
https://revistascratch.com/wrc/noticia/hyundai-motorsport-ficha-a-veiby-y-gryazin-para-su-desafio-al-wrc2-54282

According to this, RedGrey (formerly MM Motorsport) will handle Hyundai's WRC2 program with Veiby and Gryazin.

Remember, the R5 program was discussed as a reason for Tänak to go to Hyundai...

EDIT: This is what Märtin said in his infamous interview

The same rumours were that i want to represent R5 cars. In fact, this is all nonsense invented by the Finnish people and thrown into the media.

cali
9th January 2020, 10:39
So that clears up alot of speculations and Märtin was bullshiting us.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

AnttiL
9th January 2020, 11:09
Yeah, although we should wait for an official confirmation about this first.

tomhlord
9th January 2020, 13:27
Rhys Yates in the new Fiesta R5 for M-Sport in WRC2, 8 rounds: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUB4mmHeLwE

Fast Eddie WRC
9th January 2020, 13:30
Wow, didnt see that one coming !

Welcome to M-Sport Rhys, its good to have a Brit in the WRC2 team.

AnttiL
9th January 2020, 13:53
Yates's best WRC2 result was fourth in Monte last year, through numerous retirements.

rp
9th January 2020, 14:21
Rhys Yates in the new Fiesta R5 for M-Sport in WRC2, 8 rounds: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUB4mmHeLwE

What a joke WRC2 will be, when a driver like Yates is there and not in WRC3! Just like WRC2 Pro & Pieniążek in 2019. Good job FIA once again!

AnttiL
9th January 2020, 14:31
What a joke WRC2 will be, when a driver like Yates is there and not in WRC3! Just like WRC2 Pro & Pieniążek in 2019. Good job FIA once again!

Should FIA regulate who is good enough for WRC2? What about Fourmaux or Solberg?

Jarek Z
9th January 2020, 15:27
What a joke WRC2 will be, when a driver like Yates is there and not in WRC3! Just like WRC2 Pro & Pieniążek in 2019.

You are right. It seems anybody can be a factory driver these days.

PLuto
9th January 2020, 16:06
WRC2/WRC2 Pro and now WRC3 never was and will not be about factory and not factory driver. It is only about money and your decision on beginning of the season if you want to do more expensive version (WRC2) or less expensive version (WRC3) of starts in WRC. For me it is crazy that with one and same car you can start in two different categories...

AnttiL
9th January 2020, 16:53
You are right. It seems anybody can be a factory driver these days.

Anyone can rent a car from M-Sport

Andre Oliveira
9th January 2020, 16:56
Citroën Racing is to continue competing in the FIA World Rally Championship in association with its leading C3 R5 customers, beginning with this month’s Rallye Monte-Carlo and concluding in November in Japan after taking in many of the WRC’s classic fixtures. This stepped up programme with the C3 R5 will see development of the car – which has been ongoing since 2018 – continue in order to provide customers with an increasingly competitive car.

PH Sport’s Mads Østberg and Yohan Rossel will benefit from official backing from Citroën Racing and its partners Total and Michelin on respectively eight and six rounds of this year’s FIA World Rally Championship, with the French youngster enjoying additional support from the FFSA (Fédération Française de Sport Automobile). Nicolas Ciamin and Eric Camilli will also have assistance for the Rallye Monte-Carlo. Including private entries, a total of six C3 R5s are poised to start the 87th running of the WRC’s winter classic.

Citroën Racing will be providing support for promising Frenchman Yohan Rossel, winner of last season’s French Rally Championship at first attempt in a C3 R5. As victor of the 208 RALLY CUP in 2018, Yohan earned a full campaign in his national series in 2019 and ended up clinching the crown on his home event, the Critérium des Cévennes. For 2020, the 24-year old will be part of the Equipe de France FFSA squad and will take part in six WRC3 events with the aim of learning and producing consistent performances. Co-driven by Benoît Fulcrand, his programme will kick off with the Rallye Monte-Carlo, before switching to gravel in Portugal, Italy and Finland, and concluding with Rallye Deutschland and Rally GB.

Mads Østberg and his co-driver Torstein Eriksen, who will team up with the French pair at PH Sport, have a calendar of eight WRC2 outings. The Norwegian is already familiar with the car following a season in WRC2 Pro in 2019 which he wrapped up with a class victory in Catalonia. Mads has considerable experience of the World Rally Championship thanks to a career spanning more than 10 years. In 2020, the Scandinavian pair has set its sights on the WRC2 title and will contest the same six events at Yohan Rossel/Benoît Fulcrand, along with trips to Sweden and Japan.

The entry for the 2020 Rallye Monte-Carlo features four other C3 R5s, including one for Nicolas Ciamin who also plans to travel to six WRC3 rounds this season. The list continues with Yoann Bonato who made a considerable contribution to the car’s development in collaboration with Citroën Racing’s technical department. He is targeting a programme of several rallies this year, although the exact choice has yet to be settled. Eric Camilli, who topped the WRC2 class (since renamed WRC3) in Catalonia last autumn, will also drive a C3 R5 on the Rallye Monte-Carlo, as will the outgoing Spanish champion Pepe Lopez.

The above French and Norwegian crews all attended a recent week-long test organised in the French Alps by Citroën Racing to help finetune their preparations for the Monaco classic which promises to be as fiercely fought as ever this time around.

QUOTE, UNQUOTE…

Yohan Rossel (WRC3):

“I am thrilled to be continuing my adventure with PSA Motorsport with backing from the FFSA [Fédération Française de Sport Automobile]. Thanks to Citroën and Peugeot one-make championships, we have managed to work our way up the ladder and we now have the good fortune to be embarking on our first full world-class season with help from Citroën, Total and Michelin. We have so much to learn and our aim is to stay clear of trouble and finish well at the end of the year. I am delighted to be teaming up with Mads. His experience of the world championship will clearly be a big help, especially on the Monte Carlo where tyre choice is such a big challenge. I won the two-wheel drive class on this event last year and I’m looking forward to seeing what it’s like with four-wheel drive!”

Mads Østberg (WRC2):

“It’s great to be continuing with everyone in the team. We worked hard on the car’s development last year, with the main evolutions notably concerning its brakes, suspension and engine performance. That should give us a certain edge in 2020. Along with Torstein, our aim is to win as many rounds as possible and claim the title. I am very happy that our cooperation with Citroën is continuing and it’s nice to be joining forces with Yohan. It’s always positive to have a team-mate. I can hardly wait for this year’s Rallye Monte-Carlo to get the season under way. We will do our absolute best to come away with a strong result.”

Didier Clément (Customer Competition Manager, Citroën Racing and Peugeot Sport):

“Last season, our ongoing work on the C3 R5 allowed us to notch up numerous wins. For 2020, our objectives are to keep up the development momentum, step up our involvement in the sport’s leading national and international championships and provide our drivers with the means to shine in the C3 R5. The Rallye Monte-Carlo has long been an iconic event for Citroën and we are very glad to have the benefit of the experience and speed of Mads Østberg who will team up with the talented Yohan Rossel. They are joined on the entry list by four other drivers who are just as ambitious and competitive as them. We are obviously pleased with the strong interest the C3 R5 has generated and we are eager to see it perform on this prestigious but also exacting rally.”

MEDIA INFORMATION

Yohan Rossel

2014: 1st, Citroën Racing Trophy Junior (DS3 R1)

2015: 3rd, Citroën Racing Trophy (DS3 R3)

2016: 1st, Citroën Racing Trophy (DS3 R3)

2017: four rounds of the FIA World Rally Championship (DS3 R5)

2018: 1st, 208 RALLY CUP (Peugeot 208 R2)

2019: 1st, French Rally Championship (Citroën C3 R5)

Yohan Rossel’s 2020 programme (WRC3):

Monte Carlo (January 23-26), Portugal (May 21-24), Italy (June 4-7), Finland (August 6-9), Germany (October 15-18), Great Britain (October 29-November 1)

Mads Østberg

127 WRC starts

18 WRC Podiums, 1 win

2007-2011: 1st, Norwegian Rally Championship

2011: 2nd, Rally Sweden

2012: 1st, Rally Portugal

2013: 6th, WRC Drivers’ standings

2014: 5th, WRC Drivers’ standings with Citroën Racing (DS3 WRC)

2015: 4th, WRC Drivers’ standings (eight podium finishes) with Citroën Racing (DS3 WRC)

2018: Citroën Racing (C3 WRC) - 2nd, Rally Finland

2019: 2nd, WRC2 Pro vice-world championship (C3 R5) – 1st, Rally Sweden, Argentina and Catalunya

Mads Østberg’s 2020 programme (WRC2):

Monte-Carlo (January 23-26), Sweden (February 13-16), Portugal (May 21-24), Italy (June 4-7), Finland (August 6-9), Germany (October 15-18), Great Britain (October 29-November 1), Japan (November 19-22)

RS
9th January 2020, 18:30
WRC2/WRC2 Pro and now WRC3 never was and will not be about factory and not factory driver. It is only about money and your decision on beginning of the season if you want to do more expensive version (WRC2) or less expensive version (WRC3) of starts in WRC. For me it is crazy that with one and same car you can start in two different categories...

Nevertheless WRC2 looks ok this year with Ostberg, Veiby, Gryazin, Solberg(?) and the M-Sport dudes.

It would have been nice to have seen a ‘proper’ WRC2/Pro series with full-calendar entries from Skoda, Hyundai, Citroen and M-Sport with same scoring rules as WRC and better media coverage than it has had previously, but maybe manufacturer demand wasn’t there for that, especially from the ones competing in the main class already?

deephouse
9th January 2020, 18:58
If that would be the case soon the manus would quit WRC and then re-enter in WRC2. Oh wait, it's happening right now with Citroen and Skoda because it's cheaper.

wyler
10th January 2020, 08:49
Not really, none of them entered as factory team.

Andre Oliveira
10th January 2020, 22:08
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EN80pLbWsAAGSuC?format=jpg&name=large

RS
13th January 2020, 14:20
Oliver Solberg is not entered for WRC2 or WRC3 on Monte, so I guess he's not going for a title this year. That means Skoda or some satellite team are not competing for the WRC2 title either I suppose.

deephouse
13th January 2020, 15:57
Monte is one event out of thirteen. Do you really think that just this one event really is needed for the title??

AnttiL
13th January 2020, 16:25
Kalle also chose not to go for WRC2 points in Monte in 2018. It's a tricky event where many inexperienced drivers run into trouble. In WRC3 you can only collect points from seven events, and Oliver clearly is planning to do more.

SubaruNorway
13th January 2020, 16:31
It's also Oliver's first ever tarmac rally

skarderud
13th January 2020, 17:31
Kalle also chose not to go for WRC2 points in Monte in 2018. It's a tricky event where many inexperienced drivers run into trouble. In WRC3 you can only collect points from seven events, and Oliver clearly is planning to do more.Oliver will do 7 rallies i Škoda, the rest in private Polo R5 .

Andre Oliveira
14th January 2020, 08:26
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EOOtyxTWAAAX8lv?format=jpg&name=medium

AnttiL
14th January 2020, 08:28
Yeah, although we should wait for an official confirmation about this first.

Now it is official https://twitter.com/HMSGOfficial/status/1217008741972893696

RedGrey (formerly MM Motorsport (Märtin's company)) will run Hyundai's WRC2 program.

cali
14th January 2020, 08:45
https://www.instagram.com/p/B7S1ufDpDbB/?igshid=1riqfwa0keu9f

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk

cali
14th January 2020, 08:47
Hilarious.Indeed

Fast Eddie WRC
14th January 2020, 09:27
Hilarious.

Sorry, why ?

Fast Eddie WRC
14th January 2020, 10:45
Take it you missed the many stories on the interweb about the alleged reasons for Tanak leaving Toyota, one of which was them refusing to give MM the R5 programme....

Of course.

I was thinking more about the driver's chosen and the futures of Breen & Mikkelsen

Fast Eddie WRC
14th January 2020, 13:21
Toksport announced Pontus Tidemand with a WRC2 season starting in Sweden.

rallyfiend
14th January 2020, 13:21
Toksport announced Pontus Tidemand with a WRC2 season starting in Sweden.

So I guess that means Skoda have registered?

Fast Eddie WRC
14th January 2020, 15:50
Would be a nice boost for British rallying if they announce a sister car for Ingram.

I sent a them a 'No Ingram ?' and they Liked it...

AnttiL
14th January 2020, 16:11

That would rather mean Toksport has registered (with support from Skoda)-

Fast Eddie WRC
14th January 2020, 18:10
Ingram just posted, 'continuing my mission to enter WRC2 2020'

This was Liked by Toksport.

Franky
14th January 2020, 18:46
Eddie, don't read too much into likes on social media.

AnttiL
14th January 2020, 19:59
Since Toksport is already supporting Tidemand, possibly with Skoda factory backing, I wouldn't see it unlikely to have Ingram some starts as well.

PLuto
14th January 2020, 22:37

No nead to have support of Skoda for registration.

Got Mail
17th January 2020, 17:05
I heard today that the one overseas round in WRC2 is now prescribed and no longer a free choice.

Crews have a choice of New Zealand or Japan. These have been chosen as they have the best support package available.

Not sure if this is completely accurate but this is what I heard.

AnttiL
18th January 2020, 20:06
Oliver Solberg testing Skoda in factory colors

https://www.facebook.com/776491282393295/posts/3351009428274788/

The Finnish motorsport magazine Vauhdin Maailma said that Solberg and Loubet are Skoda's supported drivers in 2020 and the team will return in 2021.

dimviii
21st January 2020, 16:09
Oliver Solberg testing works fabia
https://youtu.be/tSdnXJbHIfY

RS
21st January 2020, 21:25
It’s a bit disappointing that just as Hyundai step up their WRC2 programme Skoda step back, but maybe they would rather not compete as a team when their driver lineup is a bit unproven. Hope they do indeed return in 2021 as the above news suggests. New Fabia road car coming in the first half of next year so maybe they will have some new car to test/promote then.

AnttiL
23rd January 2020, 15:41
https://twitter.com/ChrisIngramGB/status/1220346958126239747

2019 ☑️ Youngest ever FIA European Rally Champions...
2020 �� World Rally Championship WRC2

Sulland
24th January 2020, 08:00
New upgrades on the i20 seems to be a major step up towards the top of RC2 speed.

RS
24th January 2020, 08:09
Anyone know something about Kajto's plans for this year?

https://twitter.com/Kajto_pl/status/1219539706876235776?s=19

Jarek Z
24th January 2020, 09:41
Anyone know something about Kajto's plans for this year?[/url]

Kajto wants to continue competing in WRC2/WRC3, but he is going to miss Monte Carlo and Sweden. He's still wondering what car to choose. He has recently been testing Fiesta R5 and Fabia R5, Polo R5 is also a possibility.

source:
https://pl.motorsport.com/wrc/news/kajetanowicz-mam-pewien-plan/4669224/

Rally Power
24th January 2020, 19:57
So, 2 WRC3 crews fighting for WRC3 win ahead of 2 WRC2 crews fighting for WRC2 win; they’re using the same cars, why not having 4 crews fighting for a single Rally2 category? It’s a shame to continue with this stupid WRC2/WRC3 split.

cali
24th January 2020, 20:51
So, 2 WRC3 crews fighting for WRC3 win ahead of 2 WRC2 crews fighting for WRC2 win; they’re using the same cars, why not having 4 crews fighting for a single Rally2 category? It’s a shame to continue with this stupid WRC2/WRC3 split.Fully agreed!

Essaj
24th January 2020, 22:56
I kinda understand the "professional" factory backed drivers vs privateers aspect and why it's bit unfair against the privateers in the long run, but why couldn't it be handled like they do it in ERC. Have a 1 R5 category where everyone is fighting against each other and then have the separate privateer cup or whatever under that with slightly different and more affordable rules.

AnttiL
25th January 2020, 06:13
Basically last year if all WRC2 had been the same, Loubet wouldn't be now a champion, and that's what they're trying to do, giving chances for privateers to get a title. But it would be more reasonable to have everyone participate in the same WRC2 and award a separate privateer cup with less rallies needed to participate. That way the privateers could still take points off the factory drivers, if they are faster.

RS
25th January 2020, 08:40
Kajto wants to continue competing in WRC2/WRC3, but he is going to miss Monte Carlo and Sweden. He's still wondering what car to choose. He has recently been testing Fiesta R5 and Fabia R5, Polo R5 is also a possibility.

source:
https://pl.motorsport.com/wrc/news/kajetanowicz-mam-pewien-plan/4669224/

Reading between the lines it sounds like he is not so keen to work with BRR again?

PLuto
25th January 2020, 08:50
Basically last year if all WRC2 had been the same, Loubet wouldn't be now a champion, and that's what they're trying to do, giving chances for privateers to get a title. But it would be more reasonable to have everyone participate in the same WRC2 and award a separate privateer cup with less rallies needed to participate. That way the privateers could still take points off the factory drivers, if they are faster.

I am not sure if Rovanpera should be also a champion in WRC2 Pro if all R5 cars should be in one group...

Jarek Z
25th January 2020, 18:28
Reading between the lines it sounds like he is not so keen to work with BRR again?

I'm not good at reading between the lines, but he said that he has many options for this year, so who knows, you may be right.

Until the first rally he has plenty of time for some new commercials ;)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIWO12k3TRY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CV9iBHB7Us

Jarek Z
25th January 2020, 18:37

Judging from the Monte results, Yates will be the new Pieniazek in WRC2.

AnttiL
25th January 2020, 18:43
Judging from the Monte results, Yates will be the new Pieniazek in WRC2.

That was predictable also from previous year results.

PLuto
25th January 2020, 19:00
As there were only few stages on Monte today and I had lot of free time, I have calculated results from 2019 with WRC2 Pro and WRC2 merged together. Of course, if the crews knew they will be together, maybe they should work with different strategy of choosing more suitable events. But at least raw version from stage times is quite interesting.

http://www.e-pluto.cz/2020-wrc2pro+wrc2.jpg

SubaruNorway
25th January 2020, 19:27
The reason Østberg didn't recognize his car this morning was because they managed to put a full snow setup on it, language barriers again...

RS
25th January 2020, 19:44
The reason Østberg didn't recognize his car this morning was because they managed to put a full snow setup on it, language barriers again...

Nobody in his team speaks English?

mknight
25th January 2020, 19:47
What language barriers?

https://youtu.be/a0x6vIAtFcI?t=13

Jarek Z
26th January 2020, 13:23
Congratulations to the Frenchmen! It is 1-2-3-4 for them in WRC3, thanks to Camilli, Ciamin, Bonato and Rossel. And they are faster than most WRC2 crews.

pantealex
26th January 2020, 15:16
1 2 3 4 5 for Citroen in RC2

Best result ever for that brand in sub-category

AnttiL
27th January 2020, 15:31
Oliver Solberg will drive both Skoda (backed by the factory) and Polo R5 cars this year

https://twitter.com/OliverSolberg01/status/1221825441457221633
https://www.oliversolberg.com/oliversolberg-skoda-2020

RS
27th January 2020, 15:46
In the newly named Fabia 'Rally 2 Evo'

Skoda press release: https://www.skoda-storyboard.com/en/press-releases/skoda-motorsport-cooperates-with-oliver-solberg-in-wrc3-category-of-fia-world-rally-championship/

Jarek Z
27th January 2020, 17:47
Oliver Solberg will drive both Skoda (backed by the factory)

If he has official support from Skoda Motorsport then why is he competing in WRC3 and not WRC2? Does it make sense? Is it fair?

tommeke_B
27th January 2020, 17:49
I'm still struggling to understand why they keep splitting up these two championships.

Mirek
27th January 2020, 18:26
If he has official support from Skoda Motorsport then why is he competing in WRC3 and not WRC2? Does it make sense? Is it fair?

There were many such "privateers" around for years. Nothing new here.

Jarek Z
27th January 2020, 18:48
I'm still struggling to understand why they keep splitting up these two championships.

The gaps in WRC2 are so huge that Ostberg had time to make some donuts on the last stage.
Have a look at 2:16:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9Er5FrBl4U&t=2m16s

deephouse
27th January 2020, 19:46
I think that they are buying time when R4 will actually be entered more than 1 or 2 cars per rally. Then they could be in WRC3 the main class cars if that will ever happen.

AnttiL
27th January 2020, 20:35
I think that they are buying time when R4 will actually be entered more than 1 or 2 cars per rally. Then they could be in WRC3 the main class cars if that will ever happen.

There's also the new Rally3 "4WD R2" coming later

Myrvold
27th January 2020, 20:46
The gaps in WRC2 are so huge that Ostberg had time to make some donuts on the last stage.
Have a look at 2:16:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9Er5FrBl4U&t=2m16s

Like it was back in the WRC-glory days when Panizzi did it? ;)

Fast Eddie WRC
28th January 2020, 09:45
Not looking too good for ERC Champion Chris Ingram's hopes of entering WRC-2/3, with Skoda now supporting O.Solberg and Hyundai now supporting Devine & Munster in their junior programme.

It could be all resting on Toksport and personal/private sponsors yet again.

RaceRR
28th January 2020, 10:25
Well tbh there is quite a selection of more talented and faster young guns than Ingram at this moment aswell... No way he'd deserve Skoda support more than Oliver at this point.

Fast Eddie WRC
28th January 2020, 10:55
Well tbh there is quite a selection of more talented and faster young guns than Ingram at this moment aswell... No way he'd deserve Skoda support more than Oliver at this point.

More talented than the ERC Champion... who and what have they won ?

Kalm
28th January 2020, 10:58
Here we go again :D

RaceRR
28th January 2020, 11:27
More talented than the ERC Champion... who and what have they won ?

Really... Remove your union jack goggles. ERC this year was a complete joke. Do you really want to claim that he won this championship in a tight competition and due to being better than others?

Jarek Z
28th January 2020, 11:52
Not looking too good for ERC Champion Chris Ingram's hopes of entering WRC-2/3, with Skoda now supporting O.Solberg and Hyundai now supporting Devine & Munster in their junior programme.

Is Hyundai supporting Munster?

Jarek Z
28th January 2020, 12:05
Like it was back in the WRC-glory days when Panizzi did it? ;)

Out of pure curiosity I've just checked it out.
The difference between Panizzi and Burns in Catalunya in 2002 was 37 seconds.
The difference between Ostberg and Fourmaux in Monte Carlo was 3 min 31 s :)

AnttiL
28th January 2020, 12:10
Is Hyundai supporting Munster?

to drive Belgian championship

PLuto
28th January 2020, 12:20
Really... Remove your union jack goggles. ERC this year was a complete joke. Do you really want to claim that he won this championship in a tight competition and due to being better than others?

Are you really serious? Do you mean same ERC where WRC2 champion Loubet on his two starts was slower than ERC podium finishers Ingram, Habaj and Lukyanuk? (Ok, on Azores Loubet was little bit faster than Ingram before Loubets retirement)

Got Mail
28th January 2020, 13:07
This Loubet Hyundai WRC deal - is it for an RC1 or RC2 car?

AnttiL
28th January 2020, 13:29
This Loubet Hyundai WRC deal - is it for an RC1 or RC2 car?

It should be a WRC car.

RaceRR
28th January 2020, 13:35
Are you really serious? Do you mean same ERC where WRC2 champion Loubet on his two starts was slower than ERC podium finishers Ingram, Habaj and Lukyanuk? (Ok, on Azores Loubet was little bit faster than Ingram before Loubets retirement)

Ok and now tell me, based on purely his pace - on how many ocasions was Ingram faster than Lukyanuk? :)

Winning the championship without a single win during the whole season doesn't mean anything. It just shows how lucky a person can be.

denkimi
28th January 2020, 14:23
Do you take care of the solber PR? That is the only reason i could think of why one would spew such nonsense.

If olivers name was not solberg, nobody here would even have noticed his existence.
We have already one hyped kid of a famous driver in the wrc, that's enough to make sure no scandinavian driver will be world champion anytime soon.

Karbonyl
28th January 2020, 14:40
Ok and now tell me, based on purely his pace - on how many ocasions was Ingram faster than Lukyanuk? :)

Winning the championship without a single win during the whole season doesn't mean anything. It just shows how lucky a person can be.

How lucky, or how clever. Lukyanuk lost the season with his own mistakes in first two races. He maybe had the pace, but 0 points. That counts.

Sulland
28th January 2020, 14:54
Luky also drove last years C3, not a very easy car to drive!

But as always; to finish first, you first have to finish!
Boring, but true!!

AnttiL
28th January 2020, 14:54
If olivers name was not solberg, nobody here would even have noticed his existence.
We have already one hyped kid of a famous driver in the wrc, that's enough to make sure no scandinavian driver will be world champion anytime soon.

You seem to bear a big grudge against Rovanperä. Why?

AnttiL
28th January 2020, 14:55
How lucky, or how clever. Lukyanuk lost the season with his own mistakes in first two races. He maybe had the pace, but 0 points. That counts.

One of them was a car failure?

Karbonyl
28th January 2020, 15:07
One of them was a car failure?

Well, let's say 50:50, he broke the brake pipe when driving on puncture.

RaceRR
28th January 2020, 16:03
I have zero links to any driver. Just as a enthusiast of the sport for a long time - I think chance should be given to those who truly show their talent. Not those who gain a very low value titles in low competition and solely dependant on luck. If he even had won one rally, I'd rest my case. But he lost a podium finish in Latvia to a quite talented Sesks who was making a R5 debute...

RS
28th January 2020, 16:08
Rovanpera and Solberg both seem to have a lot of talent, but we shouldn't forget they have both benefited from strong backing to be able to do a lot of events from a very young age.

I wouldn't say Ingram 'deserves' support more than Solberg (tbf Eddie didn't say that either) but he's good enough to be given a chance at least. You can't win an ERC title solely through luck, he was just more consistent than his opposition.

His main problems are lack of financial backing and his age.

tommeke_B
28th January 2020, 16:18
Chris Ingram certainly is a good driver, but there are many good drivers. He was in the junior ERC 5 years ago already, if people from big teams would have considered him to be so interesting/talented, he'd be given a chance long time ago already. Maybe hard to accept, but he's in the same boat as many other equally talented and unlucky drivers...

pantealex
28th January 2020, 16:27
Kajto is 3xERC champ. Only few were saying he deserve factory seat...

Ingram is fast but there are faster ones without seat...
and slower ones with seat.

dimviii
28th January 2020, 17:01
nobody cares about champions without wins,or stage wins.Period.
Plenty cares about fast drivers,without championships,but with passes,stage times,rally wins,fights with the faster local crews.
Luky is a case of the second sentence,Ingram is a case at the first sentence.Even if he wins and this year championship,with the same pace.

Fast Eddie WRC
28th January 2020, 17:58
Ok so I'm biased towards Ingram (and I sent a lot of money to help support his ERC season), but if there is to be any fairness or progression then a young European rally champion shouldnt have to pay (yet again) for a WRC2/3 chance.

There's no prizemoney for winning the ERC, so there should at least be a WRC2/3 chance provided by one of the Manu teams.

Myrvold
28th January 2020, 18:35
Out of pure curiosity I've just checked it out.
The difference between Panizzi and Burns in Catalunya in 2002 was 37 seconds.
The difference between Ostberg and Fourmaux in Monte Carlo was 3 min 31 s :)

Of course the difference is bigger, the WRC2 is a joke (just like WRC2-Pro last year), but both had time for a donut was my point :) We both agree really, I was just trying to have a tiny bit of fun :)

mousti
28th January 2020, 18:59
to drive Belgian championshipAnd WRC3.

RS
28th January 2020, 19:08
Ok so I'm biased towards Ingram (and I sent a lot of money to help support his ERC season), but if there is to be any fairness or progression then a young European rally champion shouldnt have to pay (yet again) for a WRC2/3 chance.

There's no prizemoney for winning the ERC, so there should at least be a WRC2/3 chance provided by one of the Manu teams.

It seems kinda strange that there are prizes for winning ERC Junior titles but nothing for the main title but on the other hand why would Eurosport want to pay for ‘their’ drivers to go elsewhere?

It seems all drivers in WRC2 this year are bringing money to their teams if Hyundai speculation is correct, and we don’t know the full details of Solberg’s Skoda deal yet either. It’s possible Skoda are only subsidising him.

Karbonyl
29th January 2020, 17:02
Marco Bulacia confirmed WRC3 events with C3 R5 from Tagai.

RS
29th January 2020, 18:40
Is Kopecky going to try and do some events as a privateer or is he satisfied with Czech Championship only?

Got Mail
29th January 2020, 21:50

Chris hasn't got the budget for one of those 'Manufacturer drives'.

They don't come cheap.

Fast Eddie WRC
30th January 2020, 09:49
Chris hasn't got the budget for one of those 'Manufacturer drives'.

They don't come cheap.

No shit.

AnttiL
3rd February 2020, 12:31
https://www.rallit.fi/suomalainen-rallitoivo-roikkuu-loysassa-hirressa-marcus-gronholm-myontaa-tosiasiat-se-oli-pelkka-rahajuttu/

Grönholm confirms that they couldn't afford to buy the seat for Huttunen at Hyundai's WRC2 program, while Gryazin and Veiby could.

deephouse
3rd February 2020, 14:29
Well he was chosen by HMDP (Hyundai Motorsport Driver Development Program) and show absolutely nothing. By the way he was chosen over Berkvist, Kruuda, Lopez, Mandel, Loubet, Greensmith and Rovanpera. Last two are sitting in World Rally Car right now.

Fast Eddie WRC
3rd February 2020, 14:44
Yep he had a chance already and didnt take it. A surprise as he looked to have all the attributes as a junior.

AnttiL
3rd February 2020, 15:11
Well he was chosen by HMDP (Hyundai Motorsport Driver Development Program) and show absolutely nothing.

The two times he drove a Skoda R5 he showed pace (won Finland WRC2 in 2017 and made an overall stage win in Sweden 2019). The Hyundai R5 just isn't a good car. You can also make the same comparisons with Loubet, who switched to Skoda for 2019.

Anyway, Huttunen's career wasn't even my point, but Grönholm proves what we assumed earlier, that you have to pay for a WRC2 seat in a factory team. So much for a "junior program".

Tarmop
3rd February 2020, 15:17
well, to be fair, the sticker on the car says "Hyundai customer program", not junrioe program or driver development program.

AnttiL
3rd February 2020, 15:26
well, to be fair, the sticker on the car says "Hyundai customer program", not junrioe program or driver development program.

For example this news article has only "Junior program" in the title https://motorsport.hyundai.com/junior-program-adds-rally/ but later it's referred to as "Customer Racing Junior Driver program"

abcrally
3rd February 2020, 18:07
Well he was chosen by HMDP (Hyundai Motorsport Driver Development Program) and show absolutely nothing. By the way he was chosen over Berkvist, Kruuda, Lopez, Mandel, Loubet, Greensmith and Rovanpera. Last two are sitting in World Rally Car right now.

"show absolutely nothing". I remember this one differently. Did you ever see Huttunen in stages with i20?
I think he did all what was possible with that car. Which driver you think had better speed than him with the same car?
I don't want to argue but he is talented lad, no question. That's why he was chosen to HMDP.

TypeR
3rd February 2020, 18:19
Correct me if I'm wrong, but like out of 8-10 WRC events(with R5), he only got like 2 podiums from rally Finland..? Why should one put him him in WRC car?

Wasn't it that h
e was chosen over Kruuda by Adamo at that time, coz Huttunen seemed to be better at PR etc..

AnttiL
3rd February 2020, 18:27
Correct me if I'm wrong, but like out of 8-10 WRC events(with R5), he only got like 2 podiums from rally Finland..? Why should one put him him in WRC car?

Wasn't it that h
e was chosen over Kruuda by Adamo at that time, coz Huttunen seemed to be better at PR etc..

Wait, what's happening here, who said Huttunen should be put in a WRC car?

dimviii
3rd February 2020, 18:45
https://twitter.com/MadsOstberg/status/1224404198726553607

TypeR
3rd February 2020, 18:49
Wait, what's happening here, who said Huttunen should be put in a WRC car?

abcrally asked:
Did you ever see Huttunen in stages with i20?
From that question I really thought that it was about i20 WRC.. because he has done over 15 rallies in i20 R5 + couple of nationals in i20 WRC..

AnttiL
3rd February 2020, 19:30
abcrally asked:
From that question I really thought that it was about i20 WRC.. because he has done over 15 rallies in i20 R5 + couple of nationals in i20 WRC..

This is a WRC2/WRC3 thread, and the discussion started about Hyundai's WRC2 program.

TypeR
3rd February 2020, 20:31
This is a WRC2/WRC3 thread, and the discussion started about Hyundai's WRC2 program.

Umn, okay. Sorry for hurting.. Huttunen had his chances, but he didn't show anything spectacular.. but still he should be in a R5 or WRC car (sorry not WRC thread) for free..

AnttiL
4th February 2020, 05:28
Umn, okay. Sorry for hurting.. Huttunen had his chances, but he didn't show anything spectacular.. but still he should be in a R5 or WRC car (sorry not WRC thread) for free..

I'm not hurt, you should just read the thread before posting.

Maybe I'm a bit idealist when wishing that manufacturer teams could afford to fund their own WRC2 teams.

dimviii
4th February 2020, 17:48
Oliver Solberg
@OliverSolberg01
·
19m
The #wolfpack is coming to Mexico!
��
����
We will be at @RallySweden
first with @MotorsportSkoda
(assuming the weather is on our side!) but then I’ll be back in the Polo GTI R5 for my first taste of the @RallyMexico
roads
����
great to get this experience of more WRC rounds!

RS
4th February 2020, 18:00
Maybe I'm a bit idealist when wishing that manufacturer teams could afford to fund their own WRC2 teams.

Maybe if the publicity for this series was better they would..

RS
5th February 2020, 16:13
Mares in WRC3: http://filipmares.cz/filip-mares-na-prahu-nove-sezony/

deephouse
5th February 2020, 17:52
Maybe if the publicity for this series was better they would..

Or maybe they don't want to overshadow the main category right now when the whole thing is quite vulnerable.

Mirek
5th February 2020, 18:23

Great livery
http://filipmares.cz/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/m-FabiaR5evo-07-1024x576.jpg

Jarek Z
6th February 2020, 13:43

Wow! How much money does the Czech federation have? :)

Fast Eddie WRC
6th February 2020, 14:58
Wow! How much money does the Czech federation have? :)

More than UK Motorsport for sure. The ERC U28 winner has his drives sorted while the ERC Champion still struggles.

dodge33cymru
6th February 2020, 15:40
More than UK Motorsport for sure. The ERC U28 winner has his drives sorted while the ERC Champion still struggles.

ERC U28 comes with bigger prizes doesn't it?

dimviii
6th February 2020, 17:03
Oliver Solberg
@OliverSolberg01
·
24m
In Spain with @MotorsportSkoda
this week getting my first experience of gravel in the ŠKODA FABIA Rally2 evo
����
good to work on the feeling on dry, dusty gravel!
��
#WRC3 #wolfpack

small video at link
https://twitter.com/OliverSolberg01/status/1225468815183667201

Fast Eddie WRC
6th February 2020, 18:28
Chris Ingram on local TV says he hopes his first 2020 event will be WRC Rally Mexico.

Jarek Z
6th February 2020, 19:11
@OliverSolberg01

24m
In Spain with @MotorsportSkoda
this week getting my first experience of gravel in the ŠKODA FABIA Rally2 evo

Is he really a WRC3 driver?

RS
6th February 2020, 19:15
Is he really a WRC3 driver?

Interesting question, he seems to be more of a works driver than Veiby or Gryazin for example..

RS
10th February 2020, 05:04
So Oliver’s programme with the Fabia seems to be run by ‘Skoda Motorsport Customer Racing’

https://www.instagram.com/p/B8WuujUnkYQ/?hl=en

Seems like they got round the issue by adding a sticker to the truck..

Fast Eddie WRC
15th February 2020, 13:23
Chris Ingram finally getting some coverage on the BBC. Can you find him a sponsor for WRC 2020 ?

Too skint to win ?https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/51504323

Mise
15th February 2020, 13:57
If and when Huttunen or Lindholm wins that's two RC2 victories in a row for WRC3 drivers.
So no point at all for these different classes for the same cars.

RS
15th February 2020, 14:18
Is Lindholm doing a wider WRC3 programme or just Sweden/Finland?

I was quite surprised to see Toksport/Tidemand are in WRC2 and not WRC3. Is he actually planning a full WRC2 campaign? Maybe Ingram can join him at Toksport for that..

RS
15th February 2020, 14:20
Chris Ingram finally getting some coverage on the BBC. Can you find him a sponsor for WRC 2020 ?

Too skint to win ?https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/51504323

This was actually very good exposure for rallying in the UK by any standards, BBC1 at 9am.. I noticed he's had a few more donations on his crowdfunding page since then too.

KKS
15th February 2020, 14:20
If and when Huttunen or Lindholm wins that's two RC2 victories in a row for WRC3 drivers.
So no point at all for these different classes for the same cars.
Skoda Motorsport driver - O.Solberg in WRC3
Toksport driver - P.Tidemand in WRC2

even this facts show that it pointless idea of this wrc2/3

Fast Eddie WRC
15th February 2020, 14:35
This was actually very good exposure for rallying in the UK by any standards, BBC1 at 9am.. I noticed he's had a few more donations on his crowdfunding page since then too.

He's with a new PR company and they seem to be getting him some long-overdue exposure.

Sulland
15th February 2020, 16:05
Winner of Wrc2 title, could win it without being fastest R5 in any of the rallies.
Not good for the feeling of the WRC2 champ!!

AnttiL
15th February 2020, 16:12
But this is the first time WRC2Pro / WRC2(2020) has six entries! It's a shame M-Sport doesn't have competitive drivers.

Barreis
15th February 2020, 18:35
2nd WRC rally in 2020 and Oliver Solberg still didn't show why he is Škoda works driver except because of surname

mknight
15th February 2020, 19:29
2nd WRC rally in 2020 and Oliver Solberg still didn't show why he is Škoda works driver except because of surname

Wut? You looking on some other rally?:
https://www.ewrc-results.com/leg/60140-rally-sweden-2020/?leg=2&ct=1018

This is actually his first time driving competitively on these stages. If you compare him with Rovanpera at similar point in his career (start of 2018 season) the results are very similar. (Rovanpera had one more 4WD season at that point though)