PDA

View Full Version : OFFICIAL: Valencia GP signed for 2008

Giuseppe F1
9th May 2007, 21:52
I might try and get to this if it happens!...

http://www.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/news/detail/070509172750.shtml

Valencia F1 deal for 2008 signed
A second Spanish Grand Prix on the cards
09/05/07 17:27

A definitive deal for a new Formula One street race in the Spanish city of Valencia has now finally been signed.

That was the claim on Wednesday of the private radio network Cope, which said Bernie Ecclestone's circus would race at a second Spanish venue next year.

It is suggested that the existence of the contract could be announced by Ecclestone at Barcelona as early as during a press conference on Thursday.

The descriptor 'European Grand Prix' is tipped to be used, as it will be free because of the rotation of F1's two German venues.

Next year's Hockenheim event, following the race at the Nurburgring in 2007, will instead be called the German Grand Prix.

Meanwhile there is no further news on the proposed Grand Prix in Singapore which made headlines on numerous occasions last month.

E.A.
Source GMM

Priorat
9th May 2007, 22:27
That radio Cope always lies on everything they talk about, so wait for a better source

andreag
10th May 2007, 00:07
Other media are insisting. They say it will be announced on Thursday noon (Spanish time).

There's also an animated map of the circuit (press on this page link "Trazado del circuito urbano (Gráfico)"):
http://www.lasprovincias.es/valencia/prensa/20070509/cvalenciana/cataluna-presiona-para-valencia_20070509.html

The descriptor seems to be "Mediterranean Grand Prix".

ShiftingGears
10th May 2007, 07:29
Thats a hell of a long right hander!! Looks like a quick circuit :up:

ioan
10th May 2007, 09:23
A bit short of turns. I hope they will at least go until Parotet

janneppi
10th May 2007, 09:37
A bit short of turns.
That's what was thinking. And if it's 4km long, it would propaly be too fast for a street course.

Giuseppe F1
10th May 2007, 10:53
Looks like this is legit - Bernie has a press conference planned for today in Valencia:

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns19124.html

Bernie Ecclestone will be hosting a press conference later today in the city of Valencia, with the president of the regional council Francisco Camps. It is ancipated that this will be the announcement that Valencia has secured the European Grand Prix for 2008.

A second race in Spain makes considerable sense given that Germany has had two races for much of Michael Schumacher's reign in F1 and with Fernando Alonso now the biggest star Spain's level of interest in F1 is at an all time high. Valencia is very keen to build up its international profile and has achieved much with the America's Cup in recent years. The Cup ends in July and will most likely move elsewhere, although this depends largely on who wins. The Grand Prix in Valencia would then take over as the major promotional tool for the city. It would also serve the additional purpose of developing a part of the city that has been undeveloped until now, which will link the city centre with the port. The circuit will be a street venue but will feature purpose-built pits and paddock in an industrial area which currently features warehouses and railway marshalling yards. These will no doubt be developed as the race settles into the area.

ShiftingGears
10th May 2007, 11:52
A bit short of turns. I hope they will at least go until Parotet

Yes! Good idea. It would make the Viejo Cauca turn a great corner, like Tamburello or 130R. However for that reason of being a fast entry faster exit corner, AND due to the fact that its a street course, I think It'd be unlikely. But still, I think the layout is quite different from modern courses in formula one...and variety is the spice of life.

Donney
10th May 2007, 12:04
I hope they reach the second round about too. If not they may consider some artificial chicanes in the long straights.

ShiftingGears
10th May 2007, 12:29
I hope not.

ChrisS
10th May 2007, 13:29
Its official, autosport's map of the circuit looks nothing like the one posted above
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/58661

and looks like Bernie got involved in local politics once again

Ecclestone said however that the agreement is conditional on Camps, of the centre-right Partido Popular, winning the elections on 27th May.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/58663

CarlMetro
10th May 2007, 13:34
That radio Cope always lies on everything they talk about, so wait for a better source

Can't get a better source than this one, it belongs to Bernie ;)

http://www.formula1.com/news/6058.html

The Spanish city of Valencia is set to host a round of the FIA Formula One World Championship next year. The race, to be known as the European Grand Prix, will be held on a newly-constructed harbour-side street circuit.

A seven-year agreement was announced on Thursday in a press conference attended by Formula One Management CEO Bernie Ecclestone, Valencian government's President Francisco Camps and Valencia's mayor Rita Barbera. The deal is conditional on Camps winning local elections next month.

The news means Spain is due to become home to two rounds of the world championship for the foreseeable future. Barcelona’s Circuit de Catalunya stages the 2007 Spanish Grand Prix this weekend.

Valencia’s Mediterranean backdrop will provide a spectacular setting for the new track. The city, currently hosting the America’s Cup sailing event, is no stranger to Formula One racing. The nearby Ricardo Tormo track is a regular testing venue and Valencia has been the location for numerous car launches.

__________________________________________________ _______________

I'm glad that we will see another street circuit on the calander, just a shame that it doesn't replace or rotate with Barcelona.

ShiftingGears
10th May 2007, 13:35
Its official, autosport's map of the circuit looks nothing like the one posted above
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/58661

and looks like Bernie got involved in local politics once again

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/58663

Way to make me look forward to the circuit andreag :p :

The autosport map looks FILTHY.

andreag
10th May 2007, 14:53
That's the actual area (according to Google Maps):

http://www.profacil.net/F1/Valencia.jpg

And that's the circuit layout over the real photo:

http://www.profacil.net/F1/Valenciatrack.jpg

Not as straight as it looks in the flash animated graphic, but not as "tricky" as the logo on Autospot photo.

Priorat
10th May 2007, 14:55
Ecclestone said however that the agreement is conditional on Camps, of the centre-right Partido Popular, winning the elections on 27th May.

In fact Partido Popular is ultra-right. The last thing they did is try to forbid TV Catalunya to be seen in Valencia just because their programs are in Catalan language. The same kind of things that Franco, Pinochet or Hitler would do.

ChrisS
10th May 2007, 15:43
That's the actual area (according to Google Maps):

http://www.profacil.net/F1/Valencia.jpg

And that's the circuit layout over the real photo:

http://www.profacil.net/F1/Valenciatrack.jpg

Not as straight as it looks in the flash animated graphic, but not as "tricky" as the logo on Autospot photo.

LOL, according to that map the cars have to drive on water or jump over the harbor entrance. unless they plan to make a temporary bridge or close the harbor :confused:

chap
10th May 2007, 18:10
It is intended to build a kind of "temporary" bridge ...

ChrisS
10th May 2007, 18:24
In fact Partido Popular is ultra-right. The last thing they did is try to forbid TV Catalunya to be seen in Valencia just because their programs are in Catalan language. The same kind of things that Franco, Pinochet or Hitler would do.

F1 and FIA have no problem doing business with the far right. Max after all is the son of the British fascist leader, it explains a lot about the way he runs the FIA

VkmSpouge
10th May 2007, 19:12
Well if the racing is good in Valencia then I hope it replaces Barcelona after 2011.

Zsolt
10th May 2007, 20:09
I'm looking forward to this race, looks to be a decent track. Not sure about overtaking areas though.

andreag
10th May 2007, 21:05
I've been checking the video of Bernie's presentation this morning (you can see a short excerpt here: http://www.as.com/videos/?xref=20070510dasdasmot_1.Ves&pagina=1), and I realized they are using two different layouts for the track.

First one is the one posted on previous links (and the one I marked over the Google Maps photo), wich appears on this video on red. I think this is probably the first idea.

Then there's a second layout, corresponding to some scenes at the end of the video, it looks like this is a more actual layout, and it looks also that this is exacty the one appearing on the logo.

I tooked this image (fro the logo) and I put it over the map, and I found out some parts appeared on the video as this second layout. It is different than the first one, but much more adequate for a track (more turns) and for Bernie's desires (track over the Marina).

You can see it here:

http://www.profacil.net/F1/Valenciatrack2.jpg

donKey jote
10th May 2007, 21:05

And hey what a coincidence! Ecclestone's heir-apparent, Mr Agar, happens to be the son-in-law of Mr Aznar.
Mr. Who? (http://www.elpais.com/videos/gente/Quien/Aznar/elpepugen/20070323elpepuage_1/Ves/)
Mr Aznar :s ailor:, ex president of Spain but still leader in the shadows of the ultra-centre-right PP :)

jso1985
10th May 2007, 21:28
how can you be ultra-centre-right? :confused:

but that's off topic anyway. I'm not to sure if going back to street races is a good idea(Abu Dhabi is also a street race, right?), F1 has a porblem when it comes to its lack of overtaking, street tracks ain't gonna help much, but hey! at least those tracks look spectacular and have more personality than any Tilke track but Istambul, so I actually don't mind, I only wish it replaces Barcelona soon

stevie_gerrard
10th May 2007, 22:26
it does look a great track, it reminds me of monaco so much, am i the only one who thinks that?

andreag
10th May 2007, 22:36
Bingo!

That's the real layout. Here's the complete animated video:

http://www.marca.com/videos/07/05/070510valencia.html

It looks better than before.

And is not a true urban circuit "a la Monaco"; it's closer to semi-urban circuits as Canada.

V12
11th May 2007, 01:38
Well in light of all the recent "globalisation" of F1 venues, this is a step back in the right direction, although I hope another European race won't have to make way for this one :(

Storm
11th May 2007, 07:37
Why not ? Would you prefer to have more and more European races even on boring dodgy tracks ?

Hockenheim, Imola, Hungaroring, Barcelona are totally dull.
I dont want F1 to go to new tracks which are boring either but atleast they expand the market for the sport. Going twice to Germany for a GP does nothing.

on topic: Looks pretty good and fast but yes...overtaking spots? Even if the extend till Parotet it probably needs
a tighter turn in there (like Adelaide at Magny Cours?)

Priorat
11th May 2007, 08:54
I don't understand why destroy the best turn at Circuit de Catalunya on safety reasons and now they go for an urban track

Big Ben
11th May 2007, 11:53
it can't be worse than the circuit of barcelona

about the popular party... for those who don't know much about politics in Spain you shouldn't believe all that crap about it being a far-right party... it's not like that at all. It may seem like that for communists.

Robinho
11th May 2007, 12:49
i was hugely surprised by this announcement, until the singapore one which has taken it a step further.

very surprised to see another street circuit on the calendar, Monaco would never be a new track, only there due to the historical significance, but it does sound likethis is more of an Albert Park/Canada rather than another Monaco, so i assume they'll be able to make it safe enough. in reality it wil be a circuit, run on "streets" in a city, rather than a circuit that uses only the existing roads trhough a city.

should be interesting to see if it works, and the increase to 3 street circuits is an interesting change for F1 and will present a new challenge to the teams and drivers.

so i assume we are waiting fro 1 more new race for next year - 17 this year and Bernie wants 20 - or have i missed something else that will be added for 2008?

ShiftingGears
11th May 2007, 12:58
LOL, according to that map the cars have to drive on water or jump over the harbor entrance. unless they plan to make a temporary bridge or close the harbor :confused:

I think they must've decided on putting a jump there :p :

donKey jote
11th May 2007, 19:02
it can't be worse than the circuit of barcelona

about the popular party... for those who don't know much about politics in Spain you shouldn't believe all that crap about it being a far-right party... it's not like that at all. It may seem like that for communists.

off topic, but they are certainly far righter than they claim to be (they claim to be centre :laugh: )

many of their main politicians are opus-dei ( :eek: spanish inquisition :eek: ) and a bunch of hipocritical liars, far more so than any of the ultra-centre-left Zapatero party :)

at least so it seems for donkeys :D

Big Ben
12th May 2007, 07:16
off topic, but they are certainly far righter than they claim to be (they claim to be centre :laugh: )

many of their main politicians are opus-dei ( :eek: spanish inquisition :eek: ) and a bunch of hipocritical liars, far more so than any of the ultra-centre-left Zapatero party :)

at least so it seems for donkeys :D

I know it's off topic but I didn't start this... There were some who decided to put their political frustrations on this thread... and I felt it would be right to put "the other truth" on the table too

Ecclestone actually said that they would sign after the election when they know with who it should be signed. That sounds logic to me.

I can see you ve read a bad novel lately or seen the movie. You shouldn't believe anything you hear or say.

andreag
12th May 2007, 10:09
Coming back to the topic, Bernie has announced dates for the two new urban GP's:

Valencia (definitively Europe G.P.) will be in November next year, and during summer from 2009. Singapore will be in September or October.

It sounds like Valencia will be closing next season, maybe during Halloween weekend :s kull: :vampire: :bones: :monster: . If the WDC isn't clear till this race, will be a thrilling experience.

donKey jote
12th May 2007, 13:22
Ecclestone actually said that they would sign after the election when they know with who it should be signed. That sounds logic to me.
Yep, to me too, and that's what he said.
It's also what he had to confirm the following days, when he saw how his words came accross as an electoral-campaign gag :)
You see that's why bringing in Spanish politics is not completely off topic (only a little bit :p : ) - Spanish politicians "missinterpreted" Ecclestone's words and their timing.

I can see you ve read a bad novel lately or seen the movie. You shouldn't believe anything you hear or say.
no need to play patronising git, you're as bad as an Alonso fan :D

Why shouldn't I believe anything I say ? :confused:

Ian McC
12th May 2007, 13:29
Spain is making the most of the Alonso factor, we would not have this if he wasn't in F1.

Ian McC
12th May 2007, 13:30
it does look a great track, it reminds me of monaco so much, am i the only one who thinks that?

Don't see that as a good thing myself, nothing much in the way of overtaking chances then.

Big Ben
13th May 2007, 06:54
Yep, to me too, and that's what he said.
It's also what he had to confirm the following days, when he saw how his words came accross as an electoral-campaign gag :)
You see that's why bringing in Spanish politics is not completely off topic (only a little bit :p : ) - Spanish politicians "missinterpreted" Ecclestone's words and their timing.

no need to play patronising git, you're as bad as an Alonso fan :D

Why shouldn't I believe anything I say ? :confused:

you shouldn't believe everything you hear or say... that's how it was supposed to be... anyway
I'm more a Mclaren fan